Roll Call
0 members (), 128 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another Steve Lightle interview, this one on Legion of Super-Bloggers
#943181 01/19/18 05:45 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
From summer 2015.

Very candid, without any meanness or bitterness:

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2015/06/steve-lightle-interview-with-lsb.html

I particularly appreciated this:

LSB: Which Legionnaires were your favorites to draw? Your least favorites?

Steve Lightle: 

I remember not liking Shadow Lass' look, and changing it at my very first opportunity.

I couldn't stand the fur cap that Polar Boy had. It just seemed to tie him to the laughing stock characterization that he had been given as the leader of the Substitute Legion. For the most part, I enjoyed drawing each of the Legionnaires, because I loved expressing their individuality.

There is also a thread in the LSH forum for this blog

P.S. I've actually friended Steve on FB, and a few months ago, I got to thank him for giving Tasmia long hair again. Squee.

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 01/19/18 05:47 AM. Reason: fixing url

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: Another Steve Lightle interview, this one on Legion of Super-Bloggers
Ann Hebistand #943207 01/19/18 11:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Nice interview. It's interesting that he changed Umbra's costume immediately after coming aboard the Reboot Legion too. A shame it wasn't as good... to put it mildly. God, I loved Jeff Moy's Umbra design so to see it replaced by that skimpy piece of dental floss was a heart-breaker for me.

I echo his appraisal of his Blok costume though. That's one of my favourite Legion costumes ever. I would kill for an action figure of Lightle's Blok.

I thought this bit was interesting:

LSB: Did you know who Sensor Girl was when you designed her?
Steve Lightle: Yes and no. At first Paul had wanted to have Supergirl in the costume, so I left her blond hair as the single clue to her identity. But, within a week we knew that it couldn't be Kara and we had to change plans.

Ummm if Sensor Girl had been Supergirl then the blonde hair wouldn't have just been a clue IMO, it would have been a flashing neon sign saying "I AM SUPERGIRL". It ended up working much better as a misdirect I think.

Ann Hebistand #943209 01/20/18 03:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I also preferred the Moy costume for Umbra. But... was it Steve Lightlte that changed Umbra's question in the Reboot? I'm pretty sure that was Olivier Coipel.

Ann Hebistand #943231 01/20/18 12:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I *think* it was Steve in that Wildfire spotlight issue before DnA and Coipel came along.

I have a memory of complaining about it at the time here on Legion World and then Steve responding to me in the thread. ShrinkingViolet Thank Goodness I hadn’t been too harsh about it but I had forgotten Steve was a poster here.

Last edited by Blacula; 01/20/18 12:15 PM.
Ann Hebistand #943232 01/20/18 12:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Actually... I’m confused. Ignore what I said above. The issue I was thinking of was actually the Umbra spotlight issue (drawn by Lightle) which occurred in The Legion, obviously well after DnA and Coipel came along.

I still thought that was the issue where she got her new costume though, but looking at the covers of that series, I see Umbra is wearing a non-Moy costume on the cover of the much earlier issue #3. So maybe Coipel did change it?

And looking at Lightle’s version of it again on that spotlight issue cover, I actually don’t hate the costume. It’s skimpy, yes (very skimpy!) but still quite dynamic and interesting (and the top-knot in the hair looks great!). It’s frustrating when some characters get a number of good costumes to choose between during their history and others get none.

Ann Hebistand #943233 01/20/18 01:00 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm pretty sure Legion 3 marked the first appearance of that skimpy costume. You could have associated it with Lightle because Umbra was largely absent between issue 3 and issue 24 (in fact, she hadn't appeared at all from issue 10 if I remember right), and then issue 24 was a big old spotlight on her, giving that costume a lot of prominence.

As for Steve's redesigns, I loved his Polar Boy costume. Definitely much better than the Adventure Era one.

I also loved his look for Sensor Girl. Everything about it was so regal, and made a good fit for a disguised Projectra... and would have been a good fit for a disguised Supergirl too!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/20/18 01:02 PM.
Ann Hebistand #943242 01/20/18 04:05 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Blacula, Ibby, thank you both for chiming in.

Count me in, too, as a fan of Moy's Umbra costume who prefers it to the Coipel one (although Coipel did always draw Tasmia beautifully, even when she was all Blighted during LotD.)

This reminds me, Peter Snejbjerg drew a lovely Umbra in Starman #50. He may have even been the first artist to make Postboot Tasmia's hair a bit longer than it had been until then. Which thankfully led to Moy and whichever artist was on LSH, and then Coipel, to gradually make her hair longer and longer. For that matter, Snejbjerg also did what I consider an amazing job filling in for Coipel on The Legion #5, the one where Ayla and Imra argue about whether the Progeny deserve to be treated humanely. One of the better DnA Legion ongoing issues, in my opinion.

And I third the love for Lightle's Sensor Girl design. Ibby, do you remember in that Postboot fic that you and I collaborated on for a little while, the Athramites made Andromeda a costume identical to the Sensor Girl one, so that she could explore space anonymously? I think that was one of the best bits we came up with.

Ann Hebistand #943247 01/20/18 05:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I've really wanted to try Steve's Justin Zane. From what I've seen of it, it really looks appealingly off-beat. Problem is, I'm resistant to digital comics. I have an older model iPhone, and I don't relish reading comics on a phone or computer anyway. If Image or someone would do print version collections. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ann Hebistand #943376 01/22/18 02:41 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
I know what you mean, Lardy. I've never been crazy about web comic formats, especially the one that moves across the panels in a very specific order, not necessarily the one the reader wants.

Would you like me to ask Steve if there might ever be print versions?

Ann Hebistand #943386 01/22/18 05:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm worried such a question might upset him, or I would ask him myself.

Lard Lad #943387 01/22/18 06:45 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin
I'm worried such a question might upset him, or I would ask him myself.

Good point well taken.

Another, hopefully more sensible suggestion: If you become one of his Patreon supporters, you'd be helping to increase the possibility that there might be print collections someday. You can contribute as little as one dollar a month, like I'm doing.

Ann Hebistand #943388 01/22/18 06:48 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm seriously considering it.

Ann Hebistand #1031283 11/20/23 05:43 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
bump

Today would have been Steve's 64th birthday.

Let's share reminisces of the man and his openness and generosity with fans.

Ann Hebistand #1031285 11/20/23 09:35 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Never far from our Legiony thoughts.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #1031303 11/21/23 05:01 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
:heart:

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Non-Magnetic Kid
Non-Magnetic Kid
We're coming Vee!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star