Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Fan-Jam Thread (Current Jam: Re-Imagining the Post-Satellite JLA)
Ann Hebistand #944484 02/15/18 10:07 AM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Yeah, of course! More than happy to wait : )

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
Ann Hebistand #944515 02/15/18 02:32 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Welcome aboard, Not-So-Bad Lad.

I think I'm going to do as Klar suggested and wait until the weekend before proceeding with anything.

That would work best for me at this point, because, on a somber note, I'm still recovering from the aftershock of yesterday's Florida high school shooting. It happened basically on the other extreme of the county where I live.

Thanks for your patience, everybody.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #944516 02/15/18 02:38 PM
Of course! I hope you feel better, homie, I can understand feeling gut-punched being so close to something like what happened.

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
Ann Hebistand #944628 02/18/18 11:47 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Thanks, NSBL.

I think I still need at least a couple more days to finish pulling myself together, but I don't want this thread to wither on the vine.

So, to paraphrase Madame Xanadu, everybody is welcome to post freely and unafraid.

Ann Hebistand #944644 02/19/18 07:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have an important decision to make in regards to Hawkwoman. Should I keep Hawkman in her origin story or leave him out? I personally believe that the JLA cartoons of my youth prove that she doesn't need him; but I know some people here might disagree.

If I keep him in, should he close or distant? A hero or villain or neither?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ann Hebistand #944645 02/19/18 08:39 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I guess it depends on where you want to take Hawkwoman. Some people liked the Hawkwoman/Hawkman dynamic as the only married couple on the team, which made for some interesting moments. She definitely does not need him to be interesting, but it is also a source of uniqueness for both of them.

Ann Hebistand #944646 02/19/18 12:27 PM
Honestly I'd say make the best story you can, and if Hawkman finds his way into it then great, and if not don't, cause I think you're right: the JL toons proved she has plenty of potential separate from any iteration of Hawkman.

- Crow T. Robot
Ann Hebistand #944948 02/26/18 05:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ann asked me to relay that she is taking a break from the Internet at the moment. I will try to keep thread this alive in her absence. If anyone has their profiles/bios ready, please feel free to send me a PM.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ann Hebistand #944949 02/26/18 06:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks for taking over, Emily.

Ann Hebistand #945010 02/28/18 07:41 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
A PROPOSED NEW ORIGIN FOR BATMAN (AND A LITTLE ROBIN)

Birth of Patrick Wayne

Patrick Wayne creates Wayne Corporation from his father’s Wayne Chemical Company (originally selling chemical fertilizers) and prospers selling weapons to the U.S. military and it allies during World War One.

Wayne Manor outside Gotham City is built.

1920 Birth of Alfred Pennyworth

Birth of Thomas Wayne

Birth of Martha Kane

1939 - 1945
Alfred Pennyworth serves as an espionage agent for the British Security Services during World War II. As part of his cover, he attends butling college, and works as a butler throughout Europe.
Wayne Corporation again prospers selling weaponry to the Allies.

WW2 Ends

Thomas Wayne and Martha Kane Married

Thomas Wayne Jr. Born
Alfred Pennyworth immigrates to the United States. He is hired as butler for Wayne Manor by Patrick Wayne.

Death of Patrick Wayne

Bruce Wayne Born

Thomas Wayne earns his MD / PhD, and begins teaching Medicine as a professor at Gotham Univeristy.

Thomas and Martha Wayne murdered by Joe Chill at the behest of Lew Moxon

Bruce’s reaction to the murder of his parents is to withdraw from all social contact. Rather, he immerses himself in his school work. Whatever the topic-- History, Science, Mathematics-- Bruce studies it until he is surpasses his teachers. For example, when learning addition of complex fractions, he intuits the existence of differential calculus.

Thomas also withdraws, but into himself. He exhibits the symptoms of severe chronic depression, eventually progressing to full-blown schizophrenia and psychosis. He exhibits no emotion, except towards Alfred. Thomas develops various delusions over time: that Alfred conspired to murder his parents, cuckolded his father, poisoned his grandfather, and is conspiring to murder Thomas and Bruce.

Unlike Bruce, Thomas shows no interest in school. Sometimes, he is unable to even get out of bed. Private tutors are eventually provided, but they are unable to reach the boy. Various medications and therapies are tried, but nothing seems to help.

When Bruce is not studying, he spends all his time in Wayne Manor’s private gymnasium, mostly punching things.

Various tutors in the martial arts are provided for him, mostly to keep him from hurting himself. Few last very long. What follows is a typical conversation.

Li Ho: “He has mastered the techniques, but has no understanding of the heart. He fights without balance, without temperance. He fights until his hands and feet are cracked and bleeding. He fights from anger; there is no honor there. He accomplishes nothing.”

Alfred: “He does keep the manufacturers of sandbags and practice dummies in business.”

Li Ho: “If he wants someone dead, buy him a gun. It will be less dangerous for himself and others.”

Alfred: “He does not want anyone dead. There are some people he does with had never died.”

Thomas Wayne Jr. fails to from graduate High School. After his third suicide attempt, he is committed to Willowood Asylum. No one realizes at the time that this will be his permanent home.
Thomas also develops the delusion that Bruce was killed along with his parents in Crime Alley, and that the Bruce who is at Wayne Manor is an imposter.

Bruce Wayne Graduates High School

Richard Grayson born

Bruce Wayne earns Master’s degrees in Chemistry and Criminal Justice. He leaves school.

Bruce moves to London, England, and creates the false identity of “Basil Watson, consulting detective”. He quickly develops a reputation as one who can reach the correct conclusions with only minimal information. He is much sought after as a consultant by both civilians and the police.

A famous painting is stolen from the London Museum. Due to certain extraordinary circumstances-- the thieves had access to expensive technology-- Bruce (Basil) determines the most likely culprit is a certain British Lord. However, the police ignore his evidence and conclusions, and refuse to investigate.
Disguising himself, Bruce visits a talented forger, and at great cost, has him create a duplicate of the painting. Bruce breaks into the London Museum, and hangs the forgery where the original painting stood. He then breaks into the estate of the British Lord, and steals the original. He ships it back to Wayne Manor hidden in a sofa.
He then gives up his identity as “Basil Watson”, and returns to Gotham City.

The painting is "Strauss: Die Fledermaus Operetta" by Edgar Degas, which depicts a man lying in a drunken stupor wearing a bat-costume.

1977 (continued)
Back in the U.S., Bruce creates the identity of "Bruce Wayne, millionaire playboy".

“That Bruce Wayne was such a serious young man. But after his time in Europe he seems to have no interest in anything but partying.”

By night, Bruce acts the vigilante, attacking the organized crime element. Shipments of drugs mysteriously end up at the bottom of Gotham Harbor. Extortion enforcers are found with their legs broken. Trafficked teen-agers vanish, appearing with family members hundreds or thousands of miles away. Blackmail photographs disappear from locked safes and drawers, only to re-appear in the possession of the victim, or Vicky Vale, a local reporter.

A number of high-society Gotham families with secret ties to organized crime go bankrupt.

When pressed into a direct confrontation with the criminal element, Bruce first creates the identity of “The Crime Doctor”, dressing in surgeon’s scrubs. These prove too visible at night, and in his second outing, he dyes them black.

Finally, he creates the identity of "The Bat Man", in homage to the painting that sits in the cave below Wayne Manor.

The Flying Graysons are killed, and Richard Grayson becomes Bruce Wayne’s ward, eventually assuming the identity of “Robin”.
“Batman and Robin” now make appearances during the day, stopping high-profile bank robberies and so forth. The brightly costumed Robin acts as a distraction, with Batman doing the heavy lifting.
However, Batman and Robin still continue their surreptitious midnight fight against the crime syndicates, disrupting their smooth operation.
There is a “Dark Robin” costume, dull brown and green camouflage, which works as well as Batman’s dark gray in hiding in the dark.
While some “bosses” leave Gotham City, they are replaced by more colorful, less rational actors, such as the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler, Two-Face, and so forth.

Present Day

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Ann Hebistand #945044 02/28/18 05:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have ideas for Hawkwoman's origin, but I'm going to double-check my thoughts before posting. The Hawks have a bad reputation when it comes to origin stories. One idea I will keep is that Golden Eagle is unfortunate victim of circumstance and that they end up adopting him.

Ann Hebistand #945381 03/07/18 05:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Please post in this thread if you are still interested in participating in this project. That way I can assess how much time I should personally devote to this thread.

Emily Sivana #945383 03/07/18 08:08 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Well, I'm still on board.

I would be very interested to see how everyone else re-imagines their respective JLAers' histories.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Ann Hebistand #945747 03/14/18 04:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Due to apparent lack of interest, I will probably decrease my checkings on this thread to every two weeks. Please post or message me your status on this project.

Ann Hebistand #945840 03/16/18 04:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Would people prefer to put this portion of the project on hiatus and work on something else? We can work on other Earths. I got a whole Earth-S thread full of ideas we can use and roleplay game idea that never got off the ground.

Ann Hebistand #945861 03/17/18 04:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Emily and Klar,thanks for keeping this alive. Personally, I'm not participating simply because I can't devote much time to this - between school work, job hunting and my own fanfic, I'm stretched pretty thin. So even if the topic were different I probably would not be able to contribute much either.

I would love to read your ideas though, if you feel like continuing.

Ann Hebistand #945865 03/17/18 10:36 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Yeah, much like many Satellite era JLAers going into the Detroit era, I have too much stuff of my own going on right now to make the commitment this sort of thread requires.

Re: The Fan-Jam Thread (Current Jam: Zetaworld, an outlier universe within the DC multiverse)
Ann Hebistand #1018604 09/17/22 07:28 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
On December 15th, 1971, renowned quantum physicist Dr. Estelle Erdel made First Contact with the planet Mars. Once it was established that her intentions were noble, the Green Martians matter-transported an ambassador to Earth, the formidable female warrior-scientist A'mandaa A'nandaa.

CONTINUED...

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 09/17/22 07:42 AM.

Re: The Fan-Jam Thread (Current Jam: Zetaworld, an outlier universe within the DC multiverse)
Ann Hebistand #1018639 09/18/22 07:53 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
...CONTINUED...

Against Dr. Erdel's wishes, the military-industrial complex takes A'mandaa prisoner and locks her up at a site near Roswell that officially "doesn't exist."

Dr. Erdel sacrifices her career and her very life by breaking into the site and freeing A'mandaa. The super-powered Martian mind-wipes the humans who survived the fight, assumes Erdel's form, and goes on the run.

...MEANWHILE...

A rocket on its way to the moon is intercepted by a Gordanian invasion fleet. The only human to survive the experience is Jessica Montiel, an astronaut of Spanish and Mexican descent. She is saved by the intervention of the Green Lantern Corps, and rewarded by being welcomed into the Corps, the first human to be so honored.

...CONTINUED...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star