Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad), 217 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Fan-Jam Thread (Current Jam: Re-Imagining the Post-Satellite JLA)
Ann Hebistand #944058 02/08/18 06:18 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
The original idea for the JLA was to bring together all the heroes from DC's best-selling comics (plus the Martian Manhunter.)

Well, in this time period (1984) there is a comic that is going to really take off in sales and popularity-- although DC doesn't know that yet. This could be the 7th founding member.

Swamp Thing.

If might be interesting to see the Plant Elemental take on one of the Elemental Constructs of Apellax.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Ann Hebistand #944092 02/08/18 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
If you're still looking for ideas I'd suggest Dr Light - add's to the diversity, she's smarter than Batman in the scientific fields and has fairly undefined powers that you could have fun with.

Though I really like Klar's idea for Swamp Thing as well.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Ann Hebistand #944109 02/09/18 08:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yay! A second mention for Dr. Light (Kimiyo)! I was worried she wasn't a big enough name, though.

Ann Hebistand #944134 02/09/18 11:40 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Hi, all, my thanks to everybody who has kept this thread afloat in my absence. love

(Yesterday was a CRA-ZY day for me!)

Back later with replies and updates.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #944137 02/09/18 01:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I would like Hawkgirl to be the seventh member, because that would be almost exactly the roster in the the JLA cartoon of my childhood. (The missing member being Wally as Flash, as Barry is the standard now)

Are we allowed use Fawcett/Charlton/etc characters?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ann Hebistand #944138 02/09/18 01:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
If they are owned by DC, they should be eligible. If that's so, Nightshade would be a possibility.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ann Hebistand #944140 02/09/18 03:07 PM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Nightshade, Firehawk, and Dr. Light I think are the most interesting of the options proposed: each one gives a different power set, but also a very solidly different perspective from any other member already "set"

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
Re: The Fan-Jam Thread (Current Jam: Re-Imagining the classic JLA)
Ann Hebistand #944142 02/09/18 04:30 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
So, here's the poop...

While I am not 100% opposed to having a Post-Crisis style DCU, with one timeline and all the characters mixed together, I personally dislike the idea and would prefer having this be a separate Multiverse, which each imprint on a separate Earth (and, for that matter, I think there should also be an Earth-K, for the Kirby creations, and an Earth-HB for the Hanna Barbera DCU of the 70s and 80s)

But...if anyone makes a compelling enough argument to have one universe, I may reconsider.

I reiterate my personal distaste for having Batman in the JLA, while at the same time, I won't deny his marquee value. Again, if someone can make what I feel is a good enough case...etc.

Finally, I think the time has come to take stock of who has been nominated for the JLA Wild Card Member:

- Black Canary (and, please, no mother/daughter thing; if we do use her, she'd have to be a singularity from either Earth-1 and join the JLA, or Earth-2 and join the JSA; I favor the latter)

- Dr. Light II (but we'd need a new origin for her, as, in my humble opinion, there should not be (nor ever have been, but that's debatable) a Crisis on Infinite Earths)

- Firehawk

- Firestorm

- Green Flame (Bea Da Costa with both her Post-Invasion power levels and her Pre-Crisis code-name and mystical origin)

- Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (I imagine most people favor either the Golden Age Shiera Hall or her Silver Age counterpart, and that's fine by me, though my personal favorite will always be Kendra Saunders)

- Lilith

- Martian Manhunter

- Nightshade (but only if we make this a single universe)

- Raven

- Starfire (I have been ruminating on having her and Donna Troy quit the Titans and go off space-adventuring as the Star Huntresses?)

- Swamp Thing (unless we do a separate Earth-Vertigo)

- Vixen

- Zatanna

Thoughts?

Ann Hebistand #944146 02/09/18 07:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
While I think it's okay (and even preferable) for us to have a multiverse, I don't think we have to be governed by what Earth all the characters are from. I don't think, for example, that Nightshade should be out because she HAS to be from a Charlton heroes universe. She's been a DC character, and we're playing with/rebooting the characters' origins/early careers anyway--so we could reboot her (or anyone else who may apply) as part of this Earth and team if we want to.

In fact, I don't feel like we just HAVE to name all the various universes at the start. There may be one where the JLA satellite era gave way to the Detroit era, or there may not. And if there is, it doesn't necessarily have to affect a storyline we come up with.

What we DO need is a line-up! We can figure out all that other stuff later, right? nod

Ann Hebistand #944147 02/09/18 07:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
BTW, regarding the Batman question, I'm reluctant to stray TOO far from having the icons in the line-up. So at this point, I'm in favor of keeping the original idea, minus Aquaman, J'Onn and Hal and plus Firestorm, John Stewart and a wild card character, if that's the consensus. Keep in mind that in Year Two or so, we could shake things up big time, line-up wise! grin

Lard Lad #944148 02/09/18 08:11 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I think the main problem with Batman is how he has been handled recently. His best attribute, IMHO, is as The World's Greatest Detective, not as Inspector Gadgets.

That said, this is my vote for the Founding Seven:

1. Superman (Byrne Version)
2. Batman
3. Wonder Woman (Diana, but has been around since World War 2. Maybe even World War 1.)
4. Teh Flash (Barry Allen, CSI)
5. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
6. Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol of Thanagar)
7. Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond / Martin Stein version)

And yeah, for now, let's stick to one Universe at a time.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Ann Hebistand #944184 02/10/18 08:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I second Klar Ken's votes.

My mind is filled with ideas for Supergirl (Kara) and Flash (Wally), but if this is a Pre-Crisis Universe then there are other teams I can suggest them for. On the subject of Batman, I liked it best during the times when Bruce is on "vacation" and Grayson had the role. In general, I think I favor the second and third generation characters because I started reading my Dad's '80s comics, and that was a time period where the JLA weren't a marquee title.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ann Hebistand #944200 02/10/18 04:25 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
All good points well made.

So, for our JLA launch roster, I now concur with Emily and Klar:

Wonder Woman (I posted my new origin for her earlier in this thread, and I like Klar's suggestion that she also fought in WWI. That gives us a connection to last year's excellent WW live-action movie.)

Superman

Batman

Flash (Barry Allen)

Green Lantern (John Stewart)

Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol of Thanagar)

Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond/Martin Stein)

Are we all in agreement?

If so, then we're ready to move to the next phase -- which of us get to come up with new origins for Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkwoman, and Firestorm.

P.S. I'm actually a big Nightshade fan, especially her purple-and-black costume phase from the latter half of the classic Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad run. And, as Lardy alluded to, who knows what JLA Year 2 might hold?

Ann Hebistand #944274 02/12/18 05:31 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
We are now officially in the next phase, starting now and ending tomorrow, 13 February 2018, at 7 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Yes, the time has come for people to start volunteering to become the caretakers of 6 of the 7 members of our roster. As I've already noted, Wonder Woman is already spoken for as my character.

To reiterate the rule:

Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand

2b) Once we reach a consensus on the roster, next we assign each individual team member to an interested Legion Worlder. Said Legion Worlder now controls this character and helps shape her or his backstory, personality, etc. Other Legion Worlders are welcome to contribute ideas, but the final say on whether the ideas are used is down to whoever is controlling that character.

The choices are:

Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol of Thanagar)

Green Lantern (John Stewart)

Superman

Flash (Barry Allen)

Batman

Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond/Martin Stein)

And...

GO!

Ann Hebistand #944303 02/12/18 05:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I will be brave and take Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol of Thanagar) though I know it may be an impossible task. What time period is it on this Earth? Are we going with the modern era or the actual Silver Age (Mid-20th Century)?

Ann Hebistand #944304 02/12/18 06:29 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Brave indeed, Emily.

This Earth's time period is an idealized 1983, just before the Bronze Age gave way to the Dark Age.

To update:

WONDER WOMAN - Ann Hebistand

HAWKWOMAN - Emily Sivana

Which still leaves:

SUPERMAN
FLASH
BATMAN
GREEN LANTERN
FIRESTORM

Ann Hebistand #944318 02/13/18 05:10 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
We still need volunteers to come up with re-imagined origins for 5 of the 7 team members:

SUPERMAN
FLASH (Barry Allen)
BATMAN
GREEN LANTERN (John Stewart)
FIRESTORM (Ronnie Raymond/Martin Stein)

I will extend the deadline until tomorrow, 14 Wednesday 2018, at 7 a.m. EST, for people to volunteer.

Please do so.

Ann Hebistand #944325 02/13/18 08:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I could do Firestorm, though it will take me a while. I'm heading to a conference later this week.

Invisible Brainiac #944337 02/13/18 12:24 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I could do Firestorm, though it will take me a while. I'm heading to a conference later this week.

Thanks, Ibby. If you're short on spare time, perhaps you and I could collaborate on Firestorm? I could come up with a rough outline (origin, supporting cast, etc,) and post it here, and then you could tweak it as you see fit whenever you find windows of time. Does that sound okay to you?

Ann Hebistand #944344 02/13/18 01:52 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Always happy to collaborate, Fanfie! smile

and thanks for offering. I just remembered there is a bnig career fair next week, so I have to prepare for that too!

Invisible Brainiac #944356 02/13/18 04:25 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Always happy to collaborate, Fanfie! smile

and thanks for offering. I just remembered there is a bnig career fair next week, so I have to prepare for that too!

Gods bless you, Ibby! hug love

I'll have the outline ready as soon as I can, maybe even by tonight.

Ann Hebistand #944391 02/14/18 07:18 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Okay...given that we're still short on volunteers, I'm considering a rethink of how we go about putting together this multiverse (as a placeholder name, let's call it DC Multiverse-Zero, or DCM-0. The current universe-within-the-multiverse we are working on is Earth-1.)

Now, my creative strengths are action sequences, dialogue, and what the showbiz pros call "plot springboards," which are plot ideas in only 1 or 2 sentences. My biggest weakness lies in actually putting together a tight, well-structured, detailed plot.

So what I'm thinking is, I could sketch out a vague premise connecting the first issues of the initial 6 solo books, which will then lead into the first issue of JLA.

Then anyone who's interested can chime in with creative suggestions, which I will then incorporate into the overall storyline.

At the same time, I want the early issues of the solo books to be as accessible and self-contained as possible, so the "A-Plots" will be villain-of-the-month battles, while the subplots will fill readers in on what's going on in the greater universe.

Any questions or suggestions?

Ann Hebistand #944392 02/14/18 08:05 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Don't give up yet. Some people have jobs, and some people have limited access to a computer. Give it until the weekend, at least?

I could do Batman, but you wouldn't like it.

Ann Hebistand #944471 02/15/18 09:58 AM
Hey guys!

Know I haven't been around much recently, but this sounds like a fun project and if you're looking for help, I may be able to assist!

To make sure I understand: out of the characters listed, I may have an idea for Green Lantern. It'd involve some retooling and use some of the characters past, but go in a different direction. Would I post the idea I had, and ya'll would vote Yay or Nay on it, or offer alternative options to parts of it?

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
Ann Hebistand #944482 02/15/18 10:06 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That sounds awesome, Not-So-Bad Lad! Happy to have you in!

I'm not sure how Ann wants to proceed in terms of mechanics. As she is thread leader, I suggest we wait for her (or send her a PM smile )

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,289
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
XRay Russ
XRay Russ
Planet Dracksler
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star