Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 26 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:33 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21
Re: Re-Reading the Postboot Legion!
Invisible Brainiac #1001856 05/02/21 01:15 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Oooh 77 yeah. 77 had a more focused narrative and storytelling than 59. Bittersweet cause it was one of the last before Damned. I like to think of it as a snapshot in time though...

Invisible Brainiac #1001868 05/02/21 05:32 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Legionnaires Annual 2
Four Horsemen

Issue information

Summary:

The Legionnaires and the Workforce mobilize to defend Earth against four rampaging Daxamites. Their taking of the anti-lead serum has also made them insane, and the Legionnaires (with the last-minute arrival of RJ Brande and Jan Arrah) are only able to stop them by opening a Stargate in their path. Apparition perishes in battle. Andromeda confronts and exposes Roxxas, which ends with his death and her imprisonment. Only Cosmic Boy and President Chu are aware of her survival.

This is another of the short list of the defining stories of this run. Not only was the overall White Triangle storyline one of the Legion's best ever, this issue specifically jumps out for all that you and HWW and the others commented about. I re-read this about a month or two ago at this point. What was shocking to me was how very little in our own world has changed in 25 years. And you all were discussing this in 2014, before things really started to slide.

This was first published in 94 or 95 when DC was doing their "Year One" annual concept following Zero Hour. This was by far the most memorable of all the Year One stories across the board at DC at the time.

Another note on this reread. I very vividly remember the shock and outrage in the online community when this was released due to the fate of Tinya in this issue. I happened to be in the camp that she should stay dead, not being a fan of the Tinya/Jo "romance" or caring about the past connotations of that relationship (oddly, I did care about Garth & Imra). I thought that having Laurel's death be fake would make Tinya's story death cheapened (which I think was). I thought it would have been an infinitely more interesting story had Tinya not merged into Jo with the political and emotional repercussions.

But the re-read made me smile for the exchange that happens just before poor Tinya gets fried:

Tinya: Are you all right?
Jo: Who's asking? There are three of you. (emphasis mine)
Tinya: I'm the one in the middle.

Knowing where this would end up made me really appreciate the plotting of Waid, Peyer, McCraw and crew always dropping cool little clues here and there either in the panel or in the dialogue.

I still couldn't stand the co-dependent relationship, though. smile

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 05/02/21 06:59 PM.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1001870 05/02/21 06:13 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
Legionnaires Annual 2
Four Horsemen

Issue information

Summary:

The Legionnaires and the Workforce mobilize to defend Earth against four rampaging Daxamites. Their taking of the anti-lead serum has also made them insane, and the Legionnaires (with the last-minute arrival of RJ Brande and Jan Arrah) are only able to stop them by opening a Stargate in their path. Apparition perishes in battle. Andromeda confronts and exposes Roxxas, which ends with his death and her imprisonment. Only Cosmic Boy and President Chu are aware of her survival.

This is another of the short list of the defining stories of this run. Not only was the overall White Triangle storyline on of the Legion's best ever, this issue specifically jumps out for all that you and HWW and the others commented about. I re-read this about a month or two ago at this point. What was shocking to me was how very little in our own world has changed in 25 years. And you all were discussing this in 2014, before things really started to slide.

This was in 94 of r 95 when DC was doing their "Year One" annual concept following Zero Hour. This was by far the most memorable of all the Year One stories across the board at DC at the time.

Another note on this reread. I very vividly remember the shock and outrage in the online community when this was released due to the fate of Tinya in this issue. I happened to be in the camp that she should stay dead, not being a fan of the Tinya/Jo "romance" or caring about the past connotations of that relationship (oddly, I did care about Garth & Imra). I thought that having Laurel's death be fake would make Tinya's story death cheapened (which I think was). I thought it would have been an infinitely more interesting story had Tinya not merged into Jo with the political and emotional repercussions.

But the re-read made me smile for the exchange that happens just before poor Tinya gets fried:

Tinya: Are you all right?
Jo: Who's asking? There are three of you. (emphasis mine)
Tinya: I'm the one in the middle.

Knowing where this would end up made me really appreciate the plotting of Waid, Peyer, McCraw and crew always dropping cool little clues here and there either in the panel or in the dialogue.

I still couldn't stand the co-dependent relationship, though. smile

I consider this one of the single greatest Legion issues ever published. Like GL, I find the storyline's continued relevance a sobering reality check. Also like GL, I am in the camp that Tinya should have stayed dead. Her death reminded me of another surprise death of a major character early in a Legion-related series' run. I'm talking about Lyrissa Mallor of L.E.G.I.O.N. being killed by her own (artificially aged and then brainwashed) daughter, Lydea. Both incredibly powerful scenes, but unlike with the Postboot Legion, Lyrissa's death was never undone (and in a very nice bit of closure, Lydea encountered her mother's spirit in the Ancestral Cave on Talok VIII, and was forgiven.)

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1001928 05/03/21 06:34 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I consider this one of the single greatest Legion issues ever published. Like GL, I find the storyline's continued relevance a sobering reality check. Also like GL, I am in the camp that Tinya should have stayed dead. Her death reminded me of another surprise death of a major character early in a Legion-related series' run. I'm talking about Lyrissa Mallor of L.E.G.I.O.N. being killed by her own (artificially aged and then brainwashed) daughter, Lydea. Both incredibly powerful scenes, but unlike with the Postboot Legion, Lyrissa's death was never undone (and in a very nice bit of closure, Lydea encountered her mother's spirit in the Ancestral Cave on Talok VIII, and was forgiven.)

I'm not familiar with this story - I'll have to check it out.

I know there's the oft-quoted line about deaths in comics are never forever (look at Bucky Barnes as a prime example of that), but when the stakes are really high, as it was in this story, it drives the importance of the sacrifice being something worthwhile. After all, look at all the innocent civilians who died at the hands of the Daxamites (including Chuck Taine's parents, btw), it makes sense that the Legion should share in that sacrifice (which to be fair, they did at the time).

That being said, it was a comic book aimed at a young audience, so I shouldn't over-analyze. Of course, the flip side to that is all the nasty horrors that the protagonists of the Disney films had to endure before making it out the other side.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Invisible Brainiac #1001947 05/04/21 04:53 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
GL, this was the first time I made the connection with the whole "there are three of you!" bit. THAT was sharp!!! A subtle hint, and that's exactly what happened, with Tinya being half-Carggite blah blah

Like with both of you, I hold Legionnaires Annual #2 as a shining light in Legion history. It was just that good.

As for Tinya's death, I need to think about my stance. Unfortunately they didn't do that much with Tinya after her death, other than the whole co-dependency thing, which DNA tried very hard to undo. On the other hand, I read so many issues out of order - I read Tinya's return as a ghost before I read L* Annual 2, for example. And Tinya is still one of my favorite Legionnaires. I wonder what my opinion would have been, had I read the Reboot in order.

Also agree about the continued relevance of the themes in this issue re xenophobia, fear, racism, prejudice... well done in a non-preachy way.

I'm not super familiar with the story re Lyrissa Mallor, but I was aware she died in a fairly shocking and well-written fashion. Interesting isn't it? Tinya's death scene itself was also well done in a shocking manner that made sense...

Invisible Brainiac #1001953 05/04/21 06:23 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
GL, this was the first time I made the connection with the whole "there are three of you!" bit. THAT was sharp!!! A subtle hint, and that's exactly what happened, with Tinya being half-Carggite blah blah

One thing that I can't remember, and didn't seem to find in my re-read until the Tinya therapy issue (LSH102, which I actually liked that part of the story - it explained in detail what happened and made Tinya much more sympathetic character instead of pining for/nagging at Jo all the time - I actually enjoyed her character when operating with the E Squad) is when the reveal was of Tinya's father being a cargggite. I remember an issue where he asks for money from Winema where he triplicates, but cannot for the life of me remember when that was.

So the "There's three of you line" wasn't obvious at all at the time, but wow, did that pop out when I re-read this. Part of the reason it stood out to me was due to the nature of how they brought here back, which I didn't agree with, as mentioned earlier.

As for Tinya's death, I need to think about my stance. Unfortunately they didn't do that much with Tinya after her death, other than the whole co-dependency thing, which DNA tried very hard to undo. On the other hand, I read so many issues out of order - I read Tinya's return as a ghost before I read L* Annual 2, for example. And Tinya is still one of my favorite Legionnaires. I wonder what my opinion would have been, had I read the Reboot in order.

Its an interesting thing to think about for sure. I remember the long-timers (at the time) on Usenet erupted in fury at this story element. I think its obvious in retrospect with Jo's line, they were planning what they did from the jump with regards to her death, but at the time the reaction online was very visceral. I thought it was a bold choice for the tone the book was striking overall.

Invisible Brainiac #1001970 05/04/21 03:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
one could argue that Tinya's death was a major character moment for Jo - that he may never have quit the Workforce if not for her.

The Tinya's dad is a Carggite reveal was in LSH 94 smile and I did like LSH 102. It was one of the better stories showcasing Tinya.

Invisible Brainiac #1001971 05/04/21 03:36 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Oh, it certainly was a moment for Jo. I think I like both the characters, just not together! LOL

And thanks for the LSH 94 reference - that's why I didn't catch it on my reread. I basically skipped most of the T20 stuff. wink

He Who Wanders #1001995 05/05/21 09:51 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
The interesting aspect about Gim is that he might have made a good sci-cop or even Legion leader if he had been given the time to grow into either role. He was rushed up the sci-cop ranks very quickly once he had acquired his power. His accelerated promotion was a publicity stunt, but it gave him too much responsibility too soon. He carried that lack of development over into the Legion, trying to measure up to what he thought a leader should be. It should also be noted that the Legion was a very different organization than the Science Police. The military-like structure of the SP simply didn't work for a diverse group of young draftees, yet Gim had trained in the black-and-white world of giving and following orders (and, probably, making crude comments involving cheese spread).

Many of my military students have noted the differences between writing and working in civilian sectors versus the military. The military is straightforward; if there's a question, there's usually a rule book somewhere with the answer. Actions and statements are clear, direct, and unequivocal. The civilian world is messy and requires nuance in how people interact with one another.

Gim's military training comes through in at least two panels in LSH 80. On Page 3, his dialogue as leader of one of the mission teams is straightforward and decisive ("We're heading in"). Compare this with Saturn Girl's dialogue; she takes a moment to assure Cosmic Boy that she won't let her people hurt his (a rather condescending way of putting it, but . . .). Both responses are appropriate, but they bring Gim's no-frills mindset into sharp relief.

On Page 7, he tells the members of his team, "It's worth our lives to keep these creeps from launching them against--" This can be read on two levels. It could be an indication of his death wish, as we've discussed elsewhere. But it's also a very military thing to say: putting the mission first and being ready to sacrifice one's life for others.

HWW, this is a great insight to Gim's character that I very much agree with. I've worked with both active duty and retired military as well for most of my career, and you're spot on that decisions, actions and reactions are very binary with little room for any grey areas. There also tends to be an absolute faith in the system that develops those processes ("person x was judged guilty, therefore it is true and no mistakes were made") . Granted he wasn't as ingrained in the SP for that long to have a lot of that driven into him, but he was the child of a UP Navy Admiral, so it stands to reason that he was raised with that kind of mindset.

That approach very much defines his character and is true to form, and I think led to his demise in some ways.

Invisible Brainiac #1001996 05/05/21 10:10 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I'm getting caught up here, and am seeing that there is a stretch of issues that are summarized together, so I'll start plowing into these soon. smile

Legionnaires 38
Trouble on Titan

Issue Information

Summary:

As Imra begins her probe into Kwin's mind, Ivar stops her out of fear for Kwin's health. Cos confronts him, asking why he wants to stop Imra. Ivar reveals to Imra that he and Kwin are in a relationship, and that they had to be discreet because of the Titan-Braal conflicts. With Ivar's blessing, Imra enters Kwin's mind. The first memory she sees? Kwin and Ivar being introduced by Chu. Imra thinks that Chu was such a manipulator!

Imra soon encounters darkness again, but realizes this comes from Kwin's mind - it's not her own darkness. She finds Kwin in the midst of it all; he had locked his own consciousness away,using techniques Ivar had taught him. Kwin confesses that he planted the bomb himself, to make it appear someone had tried to kill him. He hoped this would make the more extreme Titanians examine their attitudes nad become more friendly towards Braal. Imra encourages him to stop hiding and to come out in the open, as things would be worse for everyone if Kwin's actions were discovered by someone else. Kwin agrees, and wakes up. He asks the Legionnaires to leave so he can talk to Ivar, and calls for the Science Police to give a statement. Imra takes courage and resolves to confront her own darkness one day.

Back on Earth, Triad announces the election results... and Shrinking Violet is the next leader! No mention of a deputy.

Thoughts:

Kwin using mental techniques ivar taught him is our first inkling that some measure of telepathy can be taught to non-native telepaths, though this is more of mental defense rather than true telepathy (thought casting and all that).

And Violet as leader... whohoo! This should be interesting.

Items selectively snipped to comment on a couple specific things about this issue.

I found it odd with this issue, a couple years into KC editorial run, that they feature a story that a major plot point centers around a same-sex couple's relationship, but they never made the jump to represent that kind of relationship - even somewhat veiled as it was with Ayla & Vi pre-boot - in the reboot on the team. Initially, I had thought that it was a comics code thing - they didn't want to show a teenage homosexual couple for fear of some kind of reprimand. But this issue showed that they could pull it off.

At the time, a lot of readers wanted Ayla/Vi to return, and obviously the creative team took Ayla in a very different direction there, but all the main relationships were not only hetero, but I think they were pretty much the exact same relationships as pre-boot. We know the creators were planning to reveal Lyle as gay (which they kind of did), but the lack of diversity in this area was a major failing of this run, IMO.

As for Vi being elected leader, even though I loved it as she was/is my favorite character, I knew something was up because a majority wouldn't have voted for her, so we needed to buckle in for a ride. smile

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 05/05/21 02:01 PM. Reason: Clarity - same sex relationship among the legionnaires

Invisible Brainiac #1002003 05/05/21 01:58 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
yeah! Vi had shown some growth (L* 34 and LSH 79 come to mind!) but not enough to be easily considered leader, in my mind. She had stiff competition from Cos, Lyle, potentially Gim, Imra, Garth...

and good point re the lack of same-sex couples in the Reboot. What could have been with Lyle and Condo...

Invisible Brainiac #1002007 05/05/21 02:13 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
and good point re the lack of same-sex couples in the Reboot. What could have been with Lyle and Condo...

Not to drift too much, but LSH was definitely ahead of its time in this regard. DC even has a Pride book coming out in June. The Legion would have been a natural participant in the anthology were it not in limbo. shrug

Invisible Brainiac #1002010 05/05/21 02:48 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Gonna do a 2-for-1 here...

Legionnaires 39
Wishful Thinking

Issue Information

Summary:

(snipped by me)

Squad 3: Leviathan, Violet and Dirk Morgna. As the only one to provide light, Dirk takes point (!). In no time at all they find Regulus, who tries burning them. Dirk realizes that Regulus can "see" heat signatures; and when he tries to attack Regulus, his own fire is absorbed. Regulus gloats that his armor's circuitry is linked to Gallan's planetary power grid, and that he can absorb energy! Cos' squad arrives to reinforce Vi's; and Zoe flirts with Gim a bit. Triad triplicates, only for each of her three bodies to be physically different - each has a different costume and hairstyle. Before they can figure out what happened, Regulus creates a shockwave through his new "command of electromagnetic forces", and tells the Legionnaires they will die!

Thoughts:

Bringing Triad along on the mission is an odd choice; her headache was so bad she was crouching in the hallway back in Legion HQ. I would have thought she would have been left behind, as her pain only started easing after the cruiser made the Stargate jump to Gallan. Bringing Dirk is an interesting choice as well - he shows no signs of being trained for these types of situations. And oh, Vi's puppy love is showing - grouping herself with Gim!

I thought that Vi pairing herself with Gim was a bit too obvious as well, as was her sitting with him at the table while he shoveled food into his face. lol I can't tell if she has a disapproving look there...

As to Triad, there are a couple interesting things - While eating with Gim Violet is very attentive to the fact that Triad is upset about her three personalities. Just after that is when she starts to manifest the headache, which seems to indicate the Eye & Vi's influence. It's also interesting to note that Triad splits into the three distinct bodies immediately after Zoe flirts with Gim with Vi and Triad in frame. That always seemed a little suspicious to me, as if Violet was starting to lose control of the "hearts desire" situation and slipped up control with a little jealousy there.

On to....

Legion of Super-Heroes 83
Big Tears

Issue information

Summary:

(snipped by me)

Regulus has grown to gigantic size, and boasts that he controls the planet. Violet orders everyone into a nearby cruiser so they can escape. Leviathan is determined to stop Regulus, because he knows everyone will die if they can't get off-planet. He digs into the ground and grabs some acid pipes, and... breaks them open on Regulus! Regulus melts, and Gim falls to the ground, horribly scarred. Violet reaches him first, telling him he died a hero - which Gim says was his heart's desire. Violet begins glowing with green energy, which a scared Kinetix recognizes as the Emerald Eye... just before Vi teleports everyone back to Legion HQ and changes into an Emerald Empress-y outfit. Oops.

Thoughts:

The writers did do a good job of seeding us with clues that something was afoot. All the odd happenings with various Legionnaires, for one. Vi being the Emerald Empress was not obvious, but also not completely out of left field (as next issue will show).

The action, just like last issue, was kind of boring - though there were some good power uses again, such as Chameleon morphing into a ballon to gather everyone and XS dragging people to safety; Kinetix fusing pipes together for Spark, Cos and Jo to seal. I was hoping Violet would be more proactive and "leaderly", but she doesn't get to do that much here. Other Legionnaires like Cos, Gim and even Zoe take charge more than she does. The Legionnaires as a whole are also reactive, I never see them get together and think of strategies for stopping Regulus - instead, they react to the things he does (bursting pipes full of acid, unearthing nuclear waste) without trying to tackle him directly. The only ones who do are Inferno and Dirk (who fail), and Gim (who dies).

This, I think, naturally followed after L*39, in that Vi had started to lose control of the situation and things were really falling apart. The big question (to me) is what role did the Eye have in Gim's death? If Gim's wish was to die a hero, unless the Eye architected the entire situation with Regulus (a possibility, given that the Eye wanted to use Violet as it did, and Gim's death would be the event to make that happen), the Eye may not have actually fulfilled anything there, because everyone else's wish was fairly mundane, meaning that Vi & the Eye could do these (relatively) small things to fulfill the wishes (and based on your list, not everyone had a wish apparently). It's hard to say.

Chameleon - ? (it's not certain if Spark's about-face was this for him)
Leviathan - to die in battle?
Kinetix - ?
Violet - ? (though we learn that being leader was part of it)

Shortened here, as I think you were spot on with these. Interesting connotation about Cham's wish. Its a good point and one I hadn't really considered. But I have more to say on Ayla/Cham/Jeckie later. smile
Leviathan I mentioned above - we know he wanted to die a hero, but did the Eye actually do this or just prevent any interference from it happening?
Kinetix obviously wanted the Eye/More Power. But that is in exact opposition to Vi, which makes a good conflict.
Vi I think is as simple as wanting to be seen and heard at a basic level. But then it got out of control. She gets into it a bit in the next issue, but I really think its as simple as that.

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 05/05/21 03:16 PM.

Invisible Brainiac #1002013 05/05/21 04:24 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
re Cham, I was just thinking, Ayla's about face could not have been his wish. because that remained even after the Eye left.

and yeah, good point re Gim... did the Eye have any hand in that? it could have happened very plausibly even without the Eye's influence, after all.

some wishes were very subtle, kike Gates wanting people to listen to his opinions smile

would have been funny if the Emerald Legion was also a way to grant Zoe's wish for more power tongue

and good point re Vi not taking charge more, being a sign of Vi losing control of the situation

Invisible Brainiac #1002014 05/05/21 05:00 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yes it seems that the tell about what happened was an Eye-granted wish seems to be whether or not the wish was undone. So by that definition, what happened with Cham and Gim were not Eye-granted.

Which means of course that Ayla was ultimately NOT Reep's hearts desire (the big dummy), unless Vi specifically did not want to grant that wish to Reep. And it obviously was Gim's to die heroically, but I don't think that the Eye was capable to grant that.

PS - I should have been paying attention to your trivia thread. I happened to look at it just after I wrote the above post. I would have got it right as well! lol

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 05/05/21 05:01 PM.

Invisible Brainiac #1002021 05/06/21 03:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Many of the Legionnaires didn't have their hearts' desires shown, so maybe the Eye had not gotten around to Cham yet. or maybe Ayla's heart's desire at the time was in a completely different direction, and the Eye had not figured out how to reconcile Cham's vs. Ayla's? (unnlike with the Cos-Imra and XS-Cos heart's desires, which the Eye got around by hhaving XS disguised as Imra....)

you should totally join in the trivia thread smile

Invisible Brainiac #1002022 05/06/21 05:44 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yes, I had a notion that it would have been things that Vi noticed, given the Triad situation, but that wouldn't explain the Rokk/Jenni thing, so it would have to be the Eye making those selections.

Invisible Brainiac #1002084 05/07/21 10:48 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Legionnaires 40
Emerald / Violet

Issue Information

Summary snipped

Thoughts:

Interesting slash in the title. A play on the fact that both "emerald" and "Violet" are colors?

Cool observation smile

The roll call is another great look into personalities, with some Legionnaires looking more aggressive than others - such as Garth and Jo and Gates.

From the jump, I enjoyed Vi forcing the roll call; a very consistently neat thing about this run was that if the roll call wasn't done with the characters on the edge of an initial page, they'd do something creative like this. I also enjoyed the reactions - some Legionnaires are shocked and don't know what to think (Spark, XS), others are defiant (Cos, Gates, Kinetix) and others disappointed (Star Boy & Cham). I thought Thom's reaction to be very interesting as this iteration seemed to have respect for Vi. Also, Vi channeling Ariana Grande in responding to Live Wire. WAY ahead of her time. ("Thank you, next!")

Zoe does have a bit of an ego, wondering why Vi didn't send her along to help save Gim because she has healing experience. Expecting rationality from the Eye smile And Zoe also kept thinking that she could have used the Eye's power to save Gim, while warning against using the Eye. I can understand Vi's annoyance during those instances.

Yeah, Zoe doesn't come off in that great a light during this issue as she's more into getting to the eye versus saving her friend.

I can understand why some people feel that Vi's possession by the Eye ruined her. As Vi monologues, the background art contains many instances of the new, confident Vi we have been seeing for nealry a year - her defeat of Scavenger and a brainwashed Jan Arrah, becoming Legion leader. It certainly seems like all this is the Eye's doing, and none of it Vi's own growth.

I didn't remember people saying she was ruined because of this. To me reading this with more of an adult (and parent) mindset, it seems to me that the Eye is being extremely manipulative. This is best shown in the recap sequence, as Vi's recollection of the events in the Scavenger's Lair make it appear that she thinks the Eye allowed her to breathe again, when from what we could see at the time, it was Triad's doing. If the Eye is anything, it is a manipulative bastard. Most of what Vi did, she did on her own, but the Eye manipulates her into thinking she couldn't. Sounds like an abuser to me.

Other notes - the fact that Vi can't perceive Tinya shows there are definite limits to the artifacts' power; it can't do everything for sure.

The Eye also has to keep exerting more energy to control not just Violet but the rest of the Legion. Its no wonder that things fall apart after thatt.

Invisible Brainiac #1002087 05/07/21 11:06 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
That?s a good point re Vi. I think a later issue, L*50, would also show that the Eye WAS a manipulator. Sensor convinced Vi then that she had the strength inside her all along, that many of her key moments were her own doing, no influence from the Eye at all!

Invisible Brainiac #1003482 06/11/21 06:41 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Ibby, I am pulling these two issues up to comment as I have some specific thoughts on this and L* 66. smile

Legion of Super-Heroes 109
Wish Fulfillment

Issue information

Thoughts:

It was an okay issue. A long exploration into Vi (which we just had in L* 52), but this time told from Vi's point of view. It's a nice step in her evolution, and does show that she suffers from some after-effects of her possession. Vi fans would probably like it. Others might get bored by it, as there's a lot of wool-gathering.

As most are probably aware, I'm a big Vi fan, especially reboot Vi, and I just did not like this issue. I was a big fan of Vi's arc, but I felt like the aftermath could have been handled better. Honestly, I think I didn't like it because the editors & writers had Zoe in her zombie phase, and Vi is at her most interesting when she has the real Kinetix to interact with. I thought Vi's pushing back on Kinetix's changing her clothes was the best part of the issue. It showed that she has more spine than she herself realizes. And Kinetix never changes Vi's clothes like that ever again in the reboot, although she does that to others.

Speaking of Zoe, what's up with her always putting Vi in skimpy clothes? wink

KC Carlson guest-writes, and we see a couple of throwbacks to earlier days. Star Boy acts thoughtlessly in battle and in the memorial room, much like his stupid move of crashing through a recently-repaired wall while chasing Ultra Boy (LSH 81), or wrecking the gym floor during training (L*33) - both incidents which infuriated Leviathan. Kinetix's power is the closest to her original "bring things to life" power (LSH 66), and is very close to what Preboot Life Lass would do. It's not necessarily bad; with Kinetix, I like how versatile her powers are. With Star Boy though, it could be character devolution from his more recent maturity (i.e. on Xanthu in LSH 102-103).

Thom in this issue kind of bothered me. In the past, he seems to have had a real respect for Vi, even before the Emerald stuff, so the Nura scene here seemed to have the same dissonance as the rest of the issue.

I read a lettercol submission saying Vi was selfish for asking Chuck out while knowing that Luornu liked him; she even says "sorry" mentally while doing so. Is it selfish? Maybe. But she was definitely inconsiderate in not speaking with Lu about it at least.

GOD I hated this. Which I'll get into on the discussion on L66 below. The only thing as bad as this was the MM-led authors' decision to try and pair Ferro with Vi romantically. Yeah, let's pair the two most shy people together, cause its always interesting to read about two people who barely talk to each other. ugh.

Lee Moder returns, and his art is quite an improvement over Jason Armstrong's! He draws a good Vi, though I dislike the shorter hair.

Agree

And now to the other side of KC's two parter.

Legionnaires 66
Missing Persons

Issue Information

Summary:

Secondary plotline continues from LSH 109: Vi's date with Chuck Taine. Triad finds out about it, and is jealous as she likes Chuck! Neutral bring up Violet's possession by the Emerald Eye; Chuck counters that Vi had no control over the Eye, and that he's just trying to be a friend. Almost everyone else is supportive of Violet asking Chuck, though. Kinetix lends Violet an outfit; Chuck is surprised when she arrives all dolled up, as he thought their date would be more casual. The Legionnaires and friends rally: Tenzil covers up for Chuck and discreetly slips him some money; Kinetix transforms Chuck's outfit into something as classy as Violet's suit; and even RJ Brande wishes them a good night out. Triads Orange and Purple restrain Neutral, while the other Legionnaires marvel at how beautiful Violet looks. Violet and Chuck have an amazing night out, and share a friendly kiss at the end. The next day, Vi thanks Triad for letting her ask Chuck out. Vi explains that she just wanted to feel less lonely, and that Chuck really likes Triad. The two reconcile.

When I read this the first time, I was dating in my late twenties, and I had to call BS on the whole Vi 'borrowing' Chuck thing happening without ramifications. I saw plenty of girl spats in the dorms in college as well as back in High School in the 80s. A large portion of them were "you stole my man" inspired. So there's NO WAY Luornu would have just let this go. Now, almost 25 years later, I have two teenage girls. I can GUARANTEE this will never happen, unless the person in the Luornu situation has no self respect. Not saying that couples won't come back together after this kinds of thing, but I really don't think the girls would be friends at all after something like this. I mean, hell, Luornu hadn't even kissed Chuck at this point right??

OK. Breathe. I just had to get that out. laugh

Thoughts:

A nice done-in-one story that introduces both Jacques and Charma into the Reboot. It also pushes Vi's characterization along, showing us how most of her friends don't blame her for any of her actions while possessed by the Eye.

Well, except for Luornu smile

There are many lovely little bits that make the characters seem more human:

1) Kinetix's closet is even crazier than I expected. Despite her ability to conjure up any outfit, she has hundreds of clothes - including the superhero costumes of Wonder Woman, Adventure-Era Shrinking Violet, and bell-bottom Phantom Girl. Also, though she's still all zombified and utters one word sentences, glimmers of Zoe are in there. When she turns Chuck's outfit into a suit, she jokes "Midnight." - a reference to Cinderella.

Yeah this was a great touch. Love that her closet is essentially a pocket universe. smile

2) Chameleon and Tenzil both flirting with Violet. Even Jo and Thom are stunned at beautiful Vi (to Tinya's slight jealousy and Triad Neutral's great jealousy!)

When is Tinya *not* jealous? But yeah, Cham & Tenzil were cute in this scene.

Again, it's great seeing the Legionnaires have some down time. Non-Legion staff like Chuck and Tenzil help add to the sense of friendship and community here.

The downtime episodes after an arc of a lot of activity were always some of the best parts of the PMS Legion. Did DnA ever do that?

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 06/11/21 06:43 AM.

Invisible Brainiac #1003490 06/11/21 08:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hi GL, thanks for your thoughts! I'm too lazy to use the quote function well, so...

1) Agree, the interplay between Zoe and Vi was one of the best things about the pair. Vi is very self-aware and introspective, Zoe I feel is also introspective but tends to be more careless. Some of my fave conversations between them are when Zoe is pep-talking Vi...

2) Agree re Thom, he's always been clumsy BUT well-meaning. Such flippancy in this issue was a bit too much

3) Oh yes, Vi and Ferro would make such boring interactions...

4) Totally agree re the Vi and Lu thing. Vi thinking to herself "sorry Lu" was just... ugh. At the very least, Vi should have sat down with Lu first... instead, Lu finds out about it at the same time as everyone else, i.e. just before Vi and Chuck are going out!!

5) I always wondered, if Lu blaming Vi for the Eye, was her visceral reaction at "I can't believe Chuck is going out with Vi, what can I do to stop this... OH, THE EYE!" Because we've never seen Lu's thoughts on the Eye otherwise that I can recall

6) Hah! Tinya not being jealous. the whole "jealous of Shvaughn because she can touch Jo while I'm a ghost" thing... was a bit annoying, but I could understand it. i'm trying to think, in the early Reboot it was Sussa jealous of Tinya, Tinya herself was not... other than thinking Jo was a nass-head because he was basically two-timing Sussa and her, but Tinya didn't direct any of that to Susa so...

DnA and downtime episodes. um. I think... the only ones I can think of were issue 31, but Giffen guest-wrote it. so... no...

Invisible Brainiac #1003492 06/11/21 08:49 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Oh no worries - I had actually meant to write about this weeks ago when I was going through these and responding, then stopped cause of other stuff, but these KC issues I felt warranted comment due to the bizarre takes on things.

It was clear to me that KC probably did not have teenage girls at the time. I have no idea if he and his wife have daughters now or not, but it would be interesting to see if he's ever revisited that story and wished he'd made different choices LOL.

On 4, I kind of think 2/3 Luornu would have been OK with it.

Good point on #5 - I think that's exactly what she was doing, but if she's going THERE, her turn back at the end felt false. Only Neutral went on an actual date with Chuck, and they didn't even kiss, so I'd think Lu would be giving Vi a run for her money with a Tri-Jitsu fight! LOL

To your poont on 1, I feel like they are complimentary of each other, which is why they work so well together. Zoe's introspection is more after the fact - she does stuff, then thinks/ruminates/journals about it later, where Vi seems to be very much the opposite, thinking before the action.

Invisible Brainiac #1003503 06/11/21 12:48 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I do remember Purple and Orange being ok, and they had to restrain Neutral. so good point re parts of Triad being ok with.

great point re Vi thinking before acting, where Zoe acts before thinking! that is so them...

Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,927
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden