Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
In a Universe Unlike Our Own - Starring, Kid Omega!
#932399 06/25/17 04:52 PM
S
Set Offline OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Offline
Long live the Legion!
S
So what if the Legion of Super-Heroes decided to recruit a completely different teenager with their shiny new time machine? Once that wasn't a legendary hero?

Here's one take on it, very AU, since the origin is completely different than that of the original character, although I tried to make it 'fit' interestingly into the DC cosmology.

This is less of a fanfic and more of a character design, for a Mutants & Masterminds game.

“Is something wrong Brainiac 5?”

“Yes, using my time machine to go back and recruit, ‘Superman, but when he was a teenager,’ is all well and good, but if we are going to do something as potential life-changing as traveling into the past to recruit a legendary figure in the past, wouldn’t it make sense to recruit someone whose life as a hero would make a difference?”

“Surely you’re not saying that Superman didn’t make a difference!”

“Surely not. Superman was a legendary hero, already, and will be whether we get his autograph or not. Recruiting him to join our team would change nothing, and, in my opinion, reflects nothing more than frustrated teenage super-hero worship from people who should know better. We already are heroes, each of us representing a different world and an entire species with histories every bit as rich as Earth’s. We don’t need Superman, or Superteen, or Superlad or whatever, to give us legitimacy, and, again, in my opinion, going back to pull this heroic inspiration out of history is only selling ourselves, our accomplishments, and the various worlds and cultures we hail from short.”

“I’m probably going to be trampled by wild animals for saying this, but I think I agree with Brainy. Superman may be a great champion of Earth, but my family have been the Champions of Talok VIII for generations, and I don’t understand the hero worship of this man.”

“It sounds like you had an alternate idea of whom to recruit.”

“Indeed, Saturn Girl. I’ve even got a historical file prepared. Instead of one of the admittedly dozens of great champions from Earth history, which I feel would be somewhat redundant, as we already have several Earth natives whom we’ve obviously deemed every bit as worthy of membership, this potential hero comes from the world of New Genesis, and is also quite powerful. Most importantly, recruiting him in his formative years to serve as a hero, a champion of his people, could be far more productive than inviting someone whom history already regards as a hero…”

The world of New Genesis is located in an extra-spatial pocket dimension, and only accessible to the outside universe through specialized wormholes known as ‘Boom tubes.’ (For the thunderous explosion of air and sound that tends to accompany their formation.) A rare natural occurrence, connecting this isolated world with the outside universe, they have been ‘tamed’ by the science of the ‘New Gods’ of New Genesis, who can use a machine they term the Mother Box to not only predict the natural occurrence of these phenomena, but to actually force their manifestation, and precisely control the exit destination, through a form of causal quantum manipulation called the Observer Effect.

New Genesis was a world of potential, unstable and composed of proto-matter, raw and unformed, when the New Gods first arrived. Stepping onto the surface of the world, they found it responding to their hopes for a new home to call their own, and new life begin to spring up underfoot, spreading like wildfire to cover the globe. Responding to their preconceptions, just as the Boom Tubes responded to direct observation, the world became a green and living thing almost overnight, it’s unstable and undifferentiated matter solidifying and stabilizing into forests and oceans and mountain peaks, teeming with life and bathed in newly formed weather patterns sweeping across suddenly-blue skies. The first child born on New Genesis was named Aleph, and both his body and the processes of the planet became inextricably linked when he drew his first breath and the air of New Genesis entered his tiny lungs. His first cry boomed like thunder, and the skies thundered back, and as his first tears fell from his burning eyes, the heavens opened up in sudden shower.

Izaya celebrated the birth of his son, and as Aleph grew, his connection to New Genesis only strengthened. His skin was a smooth pale grey, resembling marble in texture and as durable as the foundations of the world. His child’s laughter rumbled like thunder, and his eyes flashed the fires of the molten core of New Genesis itself.

He seemed wise beyond his years, capable of great exuberance, and yet also full of calm in the face of adversity. At times, Izaya would peer into the burning eyes of his firstborn son and wonder how such a boisterous happy child could at times seem so distant, so ageless and unfathomable. The connection between Aleph and New Genesis ran both ways, and not only did the skies weep along with the boy, but the boy would grow excited in anticipation of coming storms.

Izaya quickly forsaw the impending disaster when his younger sons came to him with the news that Aleph had left with these ‘Legionnaires,’ to join a team of heroes in the distant future. Severed from New Genesis, which had enjoyed an eternal springtime, slowly fading into summer throughout all the long years of Aleph’s youth, autumn came overnight, and winter was sure to follow, as the world itself wept at the loss of the young man who had literally become its’ living manifestation.

For his part, as ‘Kid Omega,’ Aleph enjoyed his new status as hero and Legionnaire, his body forming a connection to Earth, and mistaking his strange mood swings and physical lassitude for some sort of ‘time-sickness.’ Earth, for all its’ wonders, was a world fully formed and was not his home, and his body finally rejected this world, leading to both illness on his part, and a rash of unusual weather and geological events around the globe. The Legionnaires attempted to pull him from duty, on account of his weakness and out-of-control powers, not yet fully realizing the danger, but he rebelled and snuck off-world to join them on a mission to a newly discovered spatial anomaly, that was threatening star-travel. Disappearances in this ‘sargasso of space’ turned out to be linked to the appearance of a new world, one that Phantom Girl described as ‘only part real.’ Arriving in the affected region, the Legionnaires were surprised to see reddish portals appearing, similar to the ‘Boom Tubes’ used by their newest recruit, and reaching out instinctively, Kid Omega pulled himself and his fellow Legionnaires into this ‘not entirely real’ world. Surprised at the realization that Kid Omega had stowed away with them, the Legionnaires barely escaped the crash-landing of their cruiser on the hazy and indistinct world, and in their attempt to confront Kid Omega ended up being brushed aside by a display of power they had never seen from him before. His unstable life-force, ravaged by the loss of his connection to New Genesis, seized onto this unstable world’s own energies, and the world itself heaved and shuddered, remaking itself to match the chaos in his soul. The unstable world and the unstable young man fed each others spiral into madness, and great cataclysms shook the world as the Legionnaires took safety and tried to protect their fallen cruiser and get themselves to safety, while others attempted to retrieve their stricken team-mate, only now becoming aware that he was the cause of the recent spate of natural disasters back on Earth. When they finally reached him, a battle ensued, as he lashed out, unwilling to be separated from another world, one that was already entwining itself into his soul and filling the places left empty by his removal from New Genesis.

It was Saturn Girl who uttered the fateful words, ‘You can’t stay here! This isn’t your home, it’s apocalypse!’

Tapping into the power of the Boom Tubes forming chaotically around the screaming and warped space around this shuddering world, Kid Omega hurled the Legionnaires, cruiser and all, away from the planet that he later named Apokalips, and closed the Boom Tubes completely, sealing himself, and his new world, away from the rest of the universe.

Some say that a dark and twisted man shaped this world into a grim and hellish place, but it is equally true that this broken burning world twisted the soul of a young man into the creature now known only as Darkseid. The man once known as Aleph, firstborn of New Genesis, reached beyond time itself, to raid and attempt to destroy his old home-world on many occasions, with none but he knowing the dire truth, that Apokalips and New Genesis are one and the same world, simply occupying opposing points in the endless stream of possibilities, and both worlds represent the primal possibilities of *all* worlds, which lie in a continuum between these extremes of paradise and perdition. ‘Kid Omega’ had not replaced his connection to New Genesis, he had indeed, *come home,* to a world sundered by his leavetaking so long before.

If Darkseid were ever to succeed in destroying New Genesis, then all the worlds in the universe would be twisted and darkened as well, to become more like Apokalips, and all would be as strongly tied to the cold heart of Darkseid, increasing his power by magnitudes untold and ensuring his dominion over the universe.

Last edited by Set; 06/25/17 04:53 PM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Re: In a Universe Unlike Our Own - Starring, Kid Omega!
Set #932407 06/26/17 03:36 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Wow! as usual, you have an amazing concept here Set.

I love Brainy's reasoning for why Kid Omega and not Superman. nice job adding Tasmia's perspective and showing that Earth is just one of many UP worlds.

Great job with the reveal of Kid Omega's fate as well, and the implications for reality

Invisible Brainiac #932463 06/26/17 05:55 PM
S
Set Offline OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Offline
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Wow! as usual, you have an amazing concept here Set.

Thanks!

I love Brainy's reasoning for why Kid Omega and not Superman. nice job adding Tasmia's perspective and showing that Earth is just one of many UP worlds.

Shady's just my favorite for that, because of course she'd be the one to say something like that. smile

Great job with the reveal of Kid Omega's fate as well, and the implications for reality.

Thanks again. I designed the character for a Mutants & Masterminds game, sort of a 'tank' (made of stone, strong and tough), with the same sort of fiery eyebeams that would fit a Superman-analogue, but wanted to get away from giving him Flight and making him a complete Superman-riff, so, instead, teleportation, and then it sort of struck me that I was creating a teenaged Darkseid... So I ran with that!

New Genesis and Apokalips being the same world, at different ends of the spectrum, just felt suitably cosmic and far-out to me.

Last edited by Set; 06/26/17 05:55 PM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #932492 06/27/17 12:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's a stunner of a short story, Set. A little bit of horror and a unique explanation for Apokolips,. I'm fascinated with the idea of Highfather realizing who this Darkseid is and the despair that would generate.

Holy Cats of Egypt!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star