Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XXVIII

The following rules were established by Kent Shakespeare at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
XXI - thoth lad
XXII - Ann Hebistand
XXIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXV - Invisible Brainiac
XXVI - Quislet, Esq.
XXVII - thoth lad
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/20/20 09:59 AM
I meant to point out that the numbers on the above list repeat themselves.
Repetition is good...in moderation.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/20/20 02:25 PM
I agree. We should just end this thread and have another one in a few days to avoid any repetition.
I repeat myself when under stress.

I repeat...
The more I look at it,
The more I like it.
I do think it's good.
"Good" and "bad" are overly simplistic terms.

IMHO.
It's all relative!
The late, great comics artist Steve Ditko had no time for moral relativity.

But in social situations, he was always respectful towards, and tolerant of, people who disagreed with him.

So even though I'm among those who disagree, I say Gods bless him.

(It didn't hurt either that he was immensely talented.)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/20/20 06:13 PM
Yeah, he was good that way. Or bad. But certainly not in between. smile
LOL

In-Betweener was originally an animation industry term for the assistant animators who drew the movements from one major character pose to the next.

Jack Kirby was an in-betweener at Fleischer Brothers Studios for a short time. They did the early Popeye cartoons. Kirby was obviously a perfect fit.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/20/20 09:19 PM
I love the mumbling in those Popeye cartoons. In the Ali Baba one Bluto (as the chief of the thieves Abu Hassen) says “are you trying to make a fool of me?” To which Popeye replies “Nature beat me to it!”
My favorite character from the Popeye universe is Eugene the Jeep.
Jeepneys are a common Philippine mode of public transport. They originated from old US Army jeeps that were modified to sit more people.
Hound, an Autobot from the original Transformers, turned into a US Army jeep.

He was my favorite of the "first wave" Transformers. He looked cool and he loved the planet Earth, which reminded him of Cybertron before it became a tech-topia.

Hound had a holographic projector built into him, which always became handy for tricking the enemy.

His voice actor, Ken Sansom, seemed to base Hound's voice on Jimmy Stewart...only Sansom was easier on the ears than Stewart. IMHO.
What fascinated me about the Transformers was how many they were.
Yes! That was one of my favorite things about the Transformers show, the "cast of thousands."

It did create some problems during the first season, as a lot of characters got pushed into the background while the writers tried to work out how best to give them all some space.

The second season found the perfect solution: give as many of their characters as possible their own spotlight episode.
One of the things I really dug about the first year Transformers that go lost as the series progressed is how each of them was conceived as having their own special ability/"super power", such as Hound's hologram projector. It was a nice side effect of their character profiles being written by Marvel comics writers.
Good point, although it didn't get entirely lost during Season Two. Blaster had his special sonic powers, Tracks could fly in his car mode (one of my favorite lines from the show is when a Stunticon sees Tracks demonstrate this special power for the first time, he remarks, "A flying car! How droll!" lol
Certainly made it more interesting than just having everyone be a type of vehicle. As a young boy who never really got into cars and trucks, that was a treat!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/21/20 11:57 PM
I never got into a stranger’s car.
There in his car, Gary Numan felt safest of all. For him, it was the only way to live.

Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/22/20 01:49 AM
For Annie Lennox, love is a stranger in an open car. To tempt you in and drive you far away.

Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/22/20 08:04 AM
Concerned with you having a safe night, The Cars make sure to ask who's going to drive you home tonight?
A Cars pun is just what we needed. Oh, there's another just now. smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/22/20 12:11 PM
Some of us are invertebrate punsters—spinelessly unable to resist a pun. (So slug us!)
Sluggo is Nancy's boy sidekick. It's also the nickname of one of Deadpool's unsavory associates.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/22/20 08:01 PM
I seem to remember an X-Man with 2 slug thingies as companions. Or was he one of the Fallen Angels. Slug was also the name of a rebel leader against the reign of Baron Karza in the Micronauts. That didn't end well. Some very good comics in the Micronauts series, which isn't often the case in tie-in series.
The early years of Micronauts had good stuff (although, being a contrary sort, I prefer Pat Broderick's art to Michael Golden's.)

Another good, albeit short-lived, tie-in series was Captain Action, with gorgeous art by Gil Kane and Wallace Wood.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/22/20 09:58 PM
I liked the second Atari Force comic book.
Oh, yes, Atari Force -- Gerry Conway at his best, with Garcia Lopez art followed by Barreto art. What's not to love?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/22/20 10:35 PM
I'll need to get back to doing the issue by issue commentary for that series. There's a thread somewhere...
Good thing we have a search function!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/23/20 04:31 PM
I quite like peeking at the random threads the bingbots flag up. I shall deny this when the bingbots are uncovered as Imskian seperatists.
"Imsk" has always sounded to me like onomatopoeia for a cry of pain.

"IMSK! I just stepped on a rusty nail!"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/23/20 07:53 PM
I do say "nass" and "for grife's sake" probably more than I think. No one's mentioned it, so it must be quietly to myself.
I do the same. Whew! Shared delusions make things so much simpler.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/24/20 12:15 AM
When alone in an elevator I say “Shazam!” Nothing has happened yet.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/24/20 08:10 AM
Fire services baffled following latest rooftop blaze. Fire chief Ash told reporters "We're baffled, like your announcer said. It was like a lightning strike but the skies were clear. It's like magic or something."
I wonder if in the Legion time they have Science Fire Fighters
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/24/20 05:49 PM
From memory it looked as though science police controlled the fire engines of the future. Which can only mean there was a war between the emergency services at some point. Read more in Emergency Space Crisis 2525!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/24/20 09:41 PM
I'd read that! On second thoughts no I wouldn't. Having the different groups whose job is to help people fighting against each other sounds depressing.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/24/20 11:55 PM
You boys keep fighting. I’ll save myself.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/25/20 11:02 AM
That remindsme of a darkly satirical scene in Nemesis.One of Torquemada's career torturers gets so upset with the quality of apprentices, that he vents to the victims. One ends up torturing himself while they sort it out. Even the bad guys have feelings.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Even the bad guys have feelings.

The thing that most annoyed me about the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie was all the touchy-feely, greeting-card, pop-psych B.S. These were hardened killers, and they were going all soppy and syrupy with not a hint of irony from either the script or the actors. Yuk.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/25/20 01:04 PM
The only reason I know I've seen it is that I remembered ELO on thesoundtrack. I don't recall anything else about it.
Consider yourself lucky that you recall nothing else about the movie.
I've never seen it.
Consider yourself even luckier than Thoth.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/25/20 09:37 PM
Keeping with movies, I was reading my friend's copy of Dark Empire. I hadn't realised how much of it had made it's way into the last movie. I wonder if the Veitch/ Kennedy got credits in the move, since their work has been lifted and dropped. Much like I wonder if Moore and Miller got credits in the Joker movie.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/26/20 11:27 AM
I have not seen any of the Terminator movies or the Jurassic Park movies.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/26/20 01:09 PM
I've not seen ET, pretty much any animated Disney Movie, the Goonies or Karate Kid. Or nearly all movies after a certain cut off point. I generally catch older movies.
I grew up with animated Disney movies, but as I've gotten older I have also stopped watching new releases as I come out.

I watch them as in-flight entertainment on longer flights, though. Win!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/26/20 10:53 PM
A few years back I was on holidays with my young-adult daughter and three of her young female friends. (I was very kindly treated as the group dad.) It was Christmas in a foreign country and everything was closed so we ended up watching a couple of animated Disney movies I had never seen, Tangled and Big Hero 6. Both were quite entertaining.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/27/20 12:25 AM
I really like the animated version of One Piece. Robin is my favorite Straw Hat.
Like with many others, I think the animé has caught up to the manga.

silly slow mangas.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/27/20 04:44 PM
With odd exception I've not strayed far from Ghost inthe Shell Akira and Patlabor. Those were a long time ago. I'd be interested in things in a similar vein.
Samurai X is still my favorite.
Gundam!
I've watched bits and pieces, but sadly as a child I was always pressured to excel in school and had little time to actually follow long-running series.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/28/20 11:21 PM
Simpson’s is the longest running US show
I never got into The Simpsons. The only funny bit I remember in 30 years of occasionally giving the show a chance was Homer Simpson seating his big butt on his easy chair while that 70s radio chestnut, "Groove Me," played in the background.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/29/20 12:45 AM
My favorite Simpsons bit was from an early season. Mow is going out to catch the crank caller. He starts to tell Barney to watch the bar but then changes to Homer. Barney says “What kind of hopeless alcoholic do you think I am?” Then he goes “Someone spilled beer in this ashtray!” And he drinks it.
I've enjoyed the Simpsons. I don't think I ever had a real laugh-out-loud moment, but I do remember being entertained.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/29/20 04:43 PM
As there never used to be much to do on a Sunday night, I used to watch the early series with my parents. We liked them enough to record them, even if I don't remember details or ever rewatching them. My dad probably liked it best and a "D'oh" or a "robot with a human brain" still makes it into conversation.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/30/20 01:09 AM
Which robot with a human brain? Robert Crane or Cliff Steele?
Always did find it interesting how there were two characters so similar in concept as Robert Crane and Cliff Steele..
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/30/20 08:26 AM
Robert Crane appeared recently in Metal Men #4. He was a guest star at a RoboCon 2020 which Tin and Lead attended although he used his alias of Paul Dennis but in his Robotman guise.
All-Star Squadron made Robert Crane one of my favorite characters!

I really need to go back and read a lot more of his original stories.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/30/20 04:48 PM
I went through his '53 stories for Bits. They were fine although hedging their non super hero bets by having a little humour and a pet dog. I'd like to read more of his earlier tales.

Cliff Steele's creator said he wasn't aware of the earlier version.

With Robotman in the All Star Squadron, I thought Commander Steel as a bit unecessary.
I wonder what Commander Steel must have felt.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/30/20 10:11 PM
Upset enough to travel to Earth-1 over it smile
His fiance taking up with another man was bad enough, but feeling redundant on the All-star Squadron was just too much!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 01/31/20 08:08 AM
Thomas' Retcon Power and his awesome Continuity Cube trumps little things like team dynamics. Commander Steel would have been used by Thomas before creator Conway brought his grandson back on another Earth in the JLD. Conway's Steel vs Steel plot could have been one used for Infinity Inc had the the JLD not happened.
Commander Steel over Green Arrow.... hmmm...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/01/20 12:52 AM
You'd have thought people would recognise Robotman as his metallic face really didn't replicate the mask that was put over it. The lack of expression and the odd shape would have been give aways.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/01/20 01:45 AM
I once manned a booth at a home show for the bank I worked at. People loved the little knick-knacks we would give away.
I wonder if there was ever a Robotwoman?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/01/20 08:44 AM
There was IIRC , but it ended up being a human pretending to be a robot.
Alas, then they could not make Robotchildren.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/01/20 02:40 PM
Unless she helped him in the workshop.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/02/20 01:27 AM
Maybe he helped her in the workshop. Don’t be sexist.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/02/20 02:58 AM
To be fair, it was his workshop, he had been working in it for years, and she had no engineering skills whatsoever. smile
But she still helped, even without any engineering skills. Great teamwork!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/03/20 12:13 AM
It’s Shake n Bake and I helped!

Shake n Bake
I licked the spoon!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/03/20 01:16 PM
I wondered what you did with that time bubble access: Golden Age cameos!
Always nice to make my mark in history. Before I was born.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/03/20 09:38 PM
Time traveller must get some comfort growing up, knowing that they turn out to be time travellers by reading their history books.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/03/20 10:05 PM
History has always been my favorite subject. As a kid I wanted to be a historian when I grew up.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/03/20 10:10 PM
Is your dream of being a historian all in the past for you now? smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/04/20 11:25 AM
I would say so.

Also a question is a bad way to kill this thread.
Maybe a really hard question could kill it.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/04/20 12:41 PM
Sometimes a good joke is worth prolonging the thread
One day, I'll come up with one.
How humble of you!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/04/20 07:50 PM
Just getting in before someone else said it. smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/04/20 10:48 PM
I’d be perfect except I am much too humble!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/04/20 11:55 PM
I wonder how many calories are in humble pie.
Steve Marriott and the pre-superstar Peter Frampton named their band Humble Pie.

In the long run, it has turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
There's a lot of psychology behind self-fulfilling prophecies. Because one thinks it will happen, one then shoots oneself in the foot, so to speak.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/05/20 07:13 PM
Yeah, those thoughts can lead to behaviours that ensure things don't work out, and lead to all sorts of issues.
Self-sabotage!
In Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country, the female Vulcan named Valeris (played by Kim Cattrall) recites the definition and the etymology of the word "sabotage."
Vulcan is the Roman name, Hephaestus is the Greek name.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/06/20 04:31 PM
Not as fun as hearing the Beastie Boys sing Sabotage.
I've never understood the appeal of the Beastie Boys.

Big surprise, right? LOL lol wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/06/20 04:35 PM
As I typed, I was thinking "I bet Annfie doesn't like them" smile
ROTFLMAO

Annfie, Annfie, quite contrary,
How does your daytime go?
With different strokes
For different folks
And a place in hell waiting below.

wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/06/20 04:44 PM
Excellent smile

The Beastie Boys caused a moral panic when they first toured here. I didn't think much of what I heard, but liked a chunk of their later work.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/07/20 12:17 AM
I couldn’t stand the Jerky Boys. They would make prank phone calls in the 1990s and record them. Never found them funny.
Beef jerky is unhealthy as ____, but it sure is tasty!
I had some jerky at a pub near my place. It was so hard to chew...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/07/20 08:37 AM
There's not so many bar snacks these days since they realised what people still had on their hands when they dipped into the bowl of peanuts.
There's not so many snacks at those naughty adult clubs either, for the same reason...
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I had some jerky at a pub near my place. It was so hard to chew...

Yeah, but that salty, greasy goodness...yummers. drool
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/07/20 11:36 PM
I scoffed some crisps after dinner tonight. I did have to wash my trotters afterwards though.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/08/20 12:59 AM
I am just about to have some chips.
I had some chips with salsa last night.
I had a bowl of crisps/chips yesterday.

Again, it's that greasy, salty goodness...nothin' like it! drool
And health be darned!

I used to make nacho chips with salsa, cheese sauce, ground meat, yogurt (as a substitute for sour cream), and pickle relish (as a substitute for guacamole). Had to make do with what was common in Manila wink
And health be darned!

Yes! Life was meant to be *lived*, not second-guessed or fretted about.

Wish I'd known that when I was younger, but better late than never...
Indeed. who cares about maintaining an eight-pack when that means giving up chocolate, alcohol and desserts!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/08/20 04:47 PM
I can’t give up alcohol. That is because I have never drank alcohol.
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
I can't give up alcohol. That is because I have never drank alcohol.

I can't give up cigarettes. That is because I have never smoked a cigarette.
I've tried a lot of things bad for me, so... there are things I can give up.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/09/20 05:21 PM
I also have never smoked. Cigarettes or anything else.
Your lungs are very grateful for that.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/09/20 06:49 PM
I pass through a city street that is the among the worst polluted here. But *every* street was a lot worse than it when I was growing up.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/09/20 11:37 PM
Everybody in Melbourne (and Sydney) "smoked" recently with all the bushfires.
Stay safe, stile.

Delhi was also pretty bad.. I could barely see the sun through the air pollution.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/10/20 05:41 PM
Pres. Trump is working to make America number one in pollution by eliminating environmental regulations.
Another world record to aspire to. Other countries will be sooooo envious!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/11/20 01:18 AM
You use that word. I do not think that it means what you think it does.
Or perhaps I do!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/11/20 08:31 AM
I didn't notice Ibby use "that"
That is true.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/11/20 05:49 PM

[Jesus]

I look for truth, and find that I get damned

[PILATE]
But what is truth? Is truth unchanging law?
We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/11/20 08:50 PM
Despite having a much better grasp of truth than Jesus, Pilate failed to follow that up with the creation of Pilates.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/11/20 09:22 PM
Isn't Pilate's whole point that no-one has a grasp on truth - especially when being put in a tight spot you don't want to face - (although Webber kinda reversed Jesus words since they were that he claimed to testify to the truth or even be the truth - a bit arrogant, unless of course he was right).

And yeah he missed out on a lucrative future in the Pilates movement there. Done some myself. Never knew some of the places I had muscles.
Reminds me, I have to get back to the gym...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/12/20 04:53 PM
Jim is in the gym exercising in the nude. That should get you back into the gym.
That depends. How fit is Jim?
Is Jim as fit as Gim Allon?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/13/20 01:27 AM
I kind of like Flo in the Progressive commercials even though she is a bit annoying.
I used to find her weirdly atttactive.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/13/20 01:16 PM
Do you mean her attractiveness was weird or that it was weird that you found her attractive?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/13/20 02:50 PM
EDE & Flo are in a progressive relationship.
Originally Posted by stile86
Do you mean her attractiveness was weird or that it was weird that you found her attractive?

More the latter, in that I find her more attractive than I feel like I should.
There's a game called Diner Dash, where you play Flo, a waitress who quits her job to set up her own diner. It's all about queueing and efficiency.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/13/20 10:09 PM
Diner Dash had the same engine as an X-Com type game called Xenonauts.
As a small child, I was a fan of the later seasons of "Alice." I actually didn't find out until much later that there had been other waitresses before Jolene. I was too young for the "Flo Years" of that show.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/13/20 11:22 PM
I wonder if Flo from Diner Dash is based on Flo “Kiss my grits” from the tv show “Alice”.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/14/20 01:08 AM
Diner Dash had the same engine as an X-Com type game called Xenonauts.

Really? I have played Xenonauts (inspired by the original X-COM) but not Diner Dash.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/14/20 08:43 AM
I've not played Diner Dash either. But at its heart was an engine that one of the early Xenonauts devs used, according to its forums.
I haven't played Xenonauts. Should look into it.
Did the Xenonauts ever visit a utopia named...Xenadu?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/14/20 04:17 PM
I haven't played Xenonauts. Should look into it.

They're looking release a more polished Xenonauts 2 soonish. The first one has nice Cold War era art to help get into the setting. Its worth playing without waiting.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/14/20 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Did the Xenonauts ever visit a utopia named...Xenadu?

A place where nobody dared to go
The aliens that we came to know
They call it Xenadu
And now, open your eyes and see that the Earth's in flames
We are in Xenadu
A million lights are dancing and you are, a shooting star
Shot from orbit and you're now here with me, eternally
Xenadu, Xenadu
(Now we are here) in Xenadu
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/15/20 01:04 PM
I want to go where everybody knows my name and they are always glad I came. Where people know that people are all the same.
Making your way in the world today takes everything you got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/15/20 03:45 PM
Making your way in the world today takes everything you got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away?

"get away?" Is this a travel agents? Then mine's a pint, thanks. smile
Get away, let's leave today, let's get away!
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Get away, let's leave today, let's get away!

Our voices will ring together
Until the twelfth of never
Our voices will ring forever as one
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/16/20 12:27 AM
I, for one, am tired of the multi colored power rings.
I, for one, am tired of the multi colored power rings.

That is so ten years ago. nod

Not that the current Green Lantern is much better. sigh
I like the idea of there being various rival organizations to the GLC, but kind of despise the whole "emotional spectrum" concept.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/16/20 04:34 PM
All these organisations scooted across the universe for centuries, before Greta IV's 26th century discovery that their energy trails were directly responsible for a collapsing universe.
I thought the emotional spectrum was interesting, but after a while I got tired of following all the seven Corps.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/16/20 11:13 PM
I am catching up on the current volume of Justice league which has a whole lot of Snyder weird stuff but one is a new corps, variously called the Unseen/Invisible/Ultra-violet Corps. Apparently it lives off primal urges or some such rubbish and is powered by a (wait for it) sentient ultra-violet sun that captures planets with the deepest darkest urges and adds them to it's "galaxy", so of course it has come for Earth. Although I agree that the emotional spectrum was an interesting idea but perhaps became overdone, compared to this tale Geoff Johns additions are a stroke of genius.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/16/20 11:17 PM
Hal McJordan is... The Tartan Lantern!
They never have connected Rainbow Raider to the emotional spectrum, have they?

That seemed like an obvious move.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/17/20 12:38 AM
Good old Roy H Bivolo. His other identity could have been Mnemonic Man.
At least he didn't end up named Kpc O'fgs!
I'm learning Dutch now, and a very important mnemonic is Soft Ketchup.
"The Ketchup Song (Asereje)" by Las Ketchup, a novelty radio hit from the 2000s, is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Banana ketchup is a guilty pleasure of many Filipinos, to the horror of people from many other countries.
In my opinion, bananas stink like cheap nail polish.

And those are the ones that haven't gotten overripe yet!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/18/20 11:47 AM
Who’s there?
Banana.
Banana who?

Knock, knock!
Who’s there?
Banana.
Banana who?

Knock, knock!
Who’s there?
Banana.
Banana who?

Knock, knock!
Who’s there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?
ROTFLMAO lol

That one never gets old!

Thank you, Quis.
I used to love knock knock jokes when I was a kid!

And that one from Quis is a classic indeed.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/18/20 11:54 PM
Thank you! I am here all week! Tip your waitresses and try the fish!
I thought you wanted us to FRY the fish!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/19/20 08:38 AM
A catchphrase from Carry On Screaming is Frying Tonight
Fried catchphrase? Sounds.... quaint.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/19/20 05:18 PM
Quaint sounds quaint
Faint sounds faint.

Some Filipinos cannot pronounce F and P correctly, so Paint also sounds like Faint. And Faint like Paint. And Paint like Paint.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/19/20 05:47 PM
Too many fumes from paint can make you faint.
Faint paint, painted on the fainted person.
"Paint the Sky With Stars" was the title of Enya's first best-of collection.
Ania is the nickname of one of my Polish colleagues.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/20/20 03:27 PM
French Polish: Something else to gloss your furniture or dual nationality?
Now I understand why my Polish friend is so sparkly.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/21/20 12:51 AM
My Polish cousins once got mugs for my father and me with the Polish version of our names. My name was the same in Polish and English.
My name confuses people. So far people have guessed I am from Spain, Brazil, Italy, and Portugal based on my name.

When they see me, they guess China, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/21/20 11:29 AM
I have not been to any of those countries.
I am going to Chile for a friend's wedding, and plan to visit Peru as well to visit another friend.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/21/20 01:32 PM
Paddington the Bear's Aunt Lucy is in the Home for Retired Bears in Peru. Say Hi to her from the UK if you get the chance!
I think my friend would rather visit a different kind of bear wink
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/21/20 04:22 PM
If there are leather bears should there be gummy bears, too? I guess if there were, they'd wear rubber and spandex even if it was *really* humid out?
Spandex in all colors of the rainbow, yes!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/21/20 04:39 PM
Just make sure to stay hydrated. Fashion is swell, but it's not worth dying for.
Swell, swole, swell.
Water, water everywhere.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/22/20 12:18 AM
Water, water everywhere.

A particularly dull Aquaman issue awaits...
Water, water everywhere.

A particularly dull Aquaman issue awaits...

Any random Geoff Johns Aquaman issue would fit the criteria.
I hope the same isn’t true about issues featuring Aquaman’a trident ...
"Trident" was a popular North American brand of chewing gum when I was a kid.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/22/20 11:54 AM
Cultural missteps: liking N American gum in a protest against the UK submarine missile programme of the same name.

It's easily done, as I found to my cost after falling foul of the Yugoslavian Cuddly Kitten counterinsurgency operation.
I've never really chewed gum.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/22/20 06:19 PM
I loved to chew gum until I got TMJ. sigh Of course two insurers ago they made some noise about helping me get therapy for that, but of course it turned out that my plan wouldn't cover that.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 01:51 AM
More of a linguistic misstep rather than cultural was when they tried to market/sell the Chevy Nova in Mexico. Yes I would buy a car called “ no go”
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 01:44 PM
Peugeot translates to prostitute in Southern China. I guess their cars will go, but only for money.
"There They Go-Go-Go!" is the title of one of the classic Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote cartoons.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 03:43 PM
The Go-Go's developed a decent UK following when they supported Madness on tour.
My date and i are talking about mental disorders
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 04:56 PM
That's open and healthy.
mental health is a super important topic,

and he’s a wonderful, open guy
The Go-Go's developed a decent UK following when they supported Madness on tour.

That tour took the Go-Go's career...ONE STEP BEYOND! wink

Fun Fact: Jane Wieldlin had a brief but passionate affair with Fun Boy Three frontman Terry Hall. "Our Lips Are Sealed" is about them.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 06:49 PM
I feel like the Aquanettas could've done as well as The Go-Gos, with better management.

I still have a soft spot for "Pictures Of Italy" and "Connecting Line" 30 years later.
I honestly never heard of the Aquanettas.

I'll see if I can find any of their songs online.

Thanks, Cleome.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 06:54 PM
Terry Hall was involved in some of the best Lightning Seeds songs, and the Lightning Seeds supported Madness on a tour a few years back!
I love the Lightning Seeds!

Ian Broudie is great unsung hero of the Liverpool post-punk scene.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 06:58 PM
They have a very Pure sound that's easy to make Sense of.
When I listen to their records, I am filled with Joy.
The same joy I get with the smell of fresh laundry
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/23/20 10:50 PM
Whether they are Ready or Not, sometimes there's nothing like a Marvellous Change of sheets, although don't over smell the detergent or you might Tilt to Dizzy Heights.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/24/20 01:11 AM
Oh that would be right clever if I got the references.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/24/20 01:27 AM
References...or MalfunctiOniNg CaPS LoCk?
Or a secret code! only the capitalized letters spell something!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/24/20 06:16 PM
Beware RMONCPSLC!
Presumably from the fifth dimension.
Ramon Casper Slick?
I met a guy in the Philippines called Casper. He joked that it wasn't his real name, only his nickname, and it was given because he was relatively pale.
Back when Rosie O'Donnell was not yet famous, I found her funny. Especially when she'd do a bit about how she'd walk bare-legged in the sun, only for rude people to yell, "Yo, Casper, cover up, willya? I'm getting blinded by the sun's glare off those ***damn albino legs of yours!"
I'm not sure I ever found Rosie O'Donnell funny, but I did find hilarious the issue of Darwyn Cooke's The Spirit in which Rosie and Rush Limbaugh (or their obvious stand-ins) turned out to be the same person.
I'm not sure I ever found Rosie O'Donnell funny, but I did find hilarious the issue of Darwyn Cooke's The Spirit in which Rosie and Rush Limbaugh (or their obvious stand-ins) turned out to be the same person.

I should read that. Thanks, EDE.

After I stopped finding her funny, I'd get amused by Howard Stern's jokes about the size of her head.
I love watching short stand-up comedy videos on Facebook. Most of them have been quite funny. Or at least, mildly entertaining.
Back in the 90s, I watched so much stand-up comedy (mostly on Comedy Central and VH1) that I got oversaturated with it. I still watch it every once in a while.

Weirdly enough, with all this talk about stand-up comedy, yesterday I took out a biography of Robin Williams from the library!
Ah, what a great man he was.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/25/20 02:16 AM
I’ve been watching British game/panel shows on YouTube. I find Jack Whitehall funny and sooooo cute!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/25/20 12:31 PM
It's nice that people have different tastes. Although if we didn't we could hire ourselves out as a live laugh track.

Back when I watched those things, he was easily amongst the unfunniest ones there. He was trading on posh prep school dimness and not much else. That might have been enough to get him an award at Edinburgh. That's usually the path: Get a Edinburgh fringe award; get on a panel show; be nice to the production company that uses the same cast of comedians; shuffle through all the shows; do enough stand up in slack periods to put out a Christmas DVD and look to diversify; presenting/books/TV scripts etc.

Decent, early representation goes along way to getting the connections to get a career out of it. ( A quick peek at Whitehall shows his parents were an actress and a TV producer, so a good example) Radio is currently littered with people who I've not heard a funny thing from. But they're on the track, so I'll be hearing lots more from them regardless.

The good news is that the money from getting on panel shows allows the comedian to hire better writers. So, they can appear to get funnier as their career progresses.
I would like to be a comedian.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/25/20 04:22 PM
In my younger years, people would sometimes compliment me by saying, "Aw cleome you're so funny! You should do stand-up!"

I was on Twitter for awhile, a few years back. If ever anything persuaded me that the life of a comedian was not for me, it was watching the awful way the majority of those people behave online... not to mention their reliably awful politics. Feh. Give me a nice quiet fileroom and a bottomless cup of coffee any day. shudder
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/25/20 04:46 PM
The onscreen or on radio politics of comedians here is pretty homogenised. There's the odd left field one, but it's all about following that production company panel-go-round for the vast majority. There's some unnecessary hypocrisy about it too. Someone got away with an acid attack gag on a righter than centre politician. There was a stony silence and some nervous laughs in the room. But the person got a wrist slap at best.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/25/20 06:10 PM
But Jack Whitehall looks soooooo cute.
Jack Whitehall is younger than I am!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/25/20 08:39 PM
But Jack Whitehall looks soooooo cute.

Well, who needs talent.

Jack Whitehall is younger than I am!

You'll find that the numbers of these "young 'uns" increases the older you get for some reason.
What a mind-blowing idea, that I never ever thought of before!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/26/20 12:32 PM
When I was about 28 my 5 year old niece asked how old I was. I replied “How old do you think I am?” She thought and said “83”. I neither confirmed or denied but asked how old her father was. He is 7 years older than me. She thought and said “19”
Chalk it up to lack of math skills rather than being cheeky, I guess smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/26/20 05:52 PM
That was nearly the end of her father's time travel adventures.
Maybe SHE is the time traveler.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/27/20 02:44 PM
Once you replace Adam/Eve,it makes any other relationship a bit creepy.
Adam and Steve isn't creepy!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/28/20 08:28 AM
I imagine there would be a lot of people looking for other excuses to be bigoted if that showed up as a misinterpretation all these years.
Some people don't need an excuse, sadly.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 02/29/20 06:37 AM
Only an Excuse is a comedy show that goes out on Hogmanay each year. It's been going for over 25 years.
I wonder if Hogmanay has a lot of pigs.
I've always wondered the same about Gotham.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/01/20 10:27 PM
If Marvel buys DC, how long before Peter Porker visits Gotham?
He could team up with Peter Porkchops to track down Professor Pyg!
Will Pig Iron be involved?
Peter Porkchops is the secret identity of Pig Iron!
I thought there was the one time they were seen together, from a distance, as captured by a blurry photograph, that proves they are NOT one and the same!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/02/20 05:05 PM
A pretty pickle of porcine persona pondering!
Peter Porkchops was actually DC's most successful original funny animal character, with his own series from 1949-1959, as well as being the lead character in Leading Comics.

When Roy Thomas created the Zoo Crew, he brought back Peter and gave him a super-heroic identity!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/02/20 06:53 PM
Thanks EDE. I didn't know they were one and the same. It seems as unlikely as Clark Kent being... wait a minute.
What are the chances?
You'd think Warner Brothers could find a way to capitalize on DCs funny animal characters.
Speaking of, I quite enjoyed the DC Comics/Warner Brothers crossovers last year. Like the Bugs Bunny / Legion one.
My favorites of the DC funny animals are The Three Mouseketeers and Fox & Crow.
Fox & Crow were actually a licensed property, having originated in the cartoons originally produced by Columbia Pictures. I would assume they are now owned by Sony?

The Three Mouseketeers made an appearance in Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew, in a time travel issue in which they also met Nero Fox, saxophone-playing emperor of Rome, and the Terrific Whatzit during the Second Weird War.
The Terrific Whatzit is just such a fun name to say.
It's really a shame Thomas never wrote a team up between the Golden Age Flash and the Terrific Whatzit, because that would have been fun.
Throw in the Whizzer for more fun!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/03/20 10:29 PM
"Throw in the Whizzer" makes me think of "Throw in the Blender" which is just a bit more gruesome.
It's definitely more gruesome than the other thing Whizzer makes me think of...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/05/20 01:59 AM
Gee Whiz you have a dirty mind!
Telepathic Quis strikes again!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/05/20 04:40 PM
I had a friend (it could happen) who would joke that he had a photogenic memory. He may not remember everything but he knows that he looked good.
In Philippine slang, we say someone is "talikogenic" if they look good from the back, but not from the front.

"Talikod" means to turn around.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/06/20 01:07 AM
I like this commercial featuring the Filipino word kilig

Kilig
Kilig is indeed a very important concept in Philippine society!
When I saw the word "kilig," the first thing I thought of were klieg lights. I guess that's because I've been into the behind-the-scenes world of cinema since I was in high school.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/06/20 04:59 PM
I saw it and thought "Kilowog" because I read too many comics growing up.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/07/20 01:53 AM
Reddy Kilowatt is an old cartoon mascot for various electric companies
I learned about electrical safety from Louie the Lightning Bug.

I watched a lot of cartoons showing Ben Franklin getting electrocuted through his kite.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/08/20 12:42 AM
Ben Franklin was in the first Peabody and Sherman cartoon
Dutch pea soup is very thick and very good for the winter.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/08/20 01:39 PM
Is it Dutch pea soup because you only pay for half of it?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/08/20 03:37 PM
No. He pays for his own.
No. He pays for his own.

Dutch Waltz, the famous ice skater? eek
One good thing about the Dutch: I never have to worry that I will be paid back! They're generally so diligent about it.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/08/20 09:53 PM
There's a secret interest rate charge that makes sure friends always pay on time.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/09/20 01:27 AM
The time is precious I know
In time it could have been so much more
The time has nothing to show because
Time won't give me time and
Time makes lovers feel like they've got something real
But you and me we know they've got nothing but time
And time won't give me time, won't give me time (time, time, time)
If you're lost you can look and you will find me
Time after time
If you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting
Time after time
If you're lost, you can look and you will find me
Time after time
If you fall, I will catch you, I will be waiting
Time after time
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/09/20 05:03 PM
Thete are a lot of lyrics that have a stalker quality to them.

You mean these?

"Revery reth roo rake
Revery roove roo make
Revery rep roo rake
Revery ringle ray
Rall ree ratching roo"

grin
Did Scooby-Doo sing that?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/09/20 10:13 PM

You mean these?

"Revery reth roo rake
Revery roove roo make
Revery rep roo rake
Revery ringle ray
Rall ree ratching roo"

grin

:snort:

I suppose raking is indeed repetitive.

You mean these?

Revery rep roo rake

grin

No, Sting did.

I simply transcribed the lyrics to The Police's "Every Breath You Take" phonetically.

Tee hee.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/09/20 11:10 PM

I suppose raking is indeed repetitive.

All the better to get into a contemplative state of mind.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Thankfully, many politicians don't waste theirs. They have never used theirs, after all.

No, Sting did.

I simply transcribed the lyrics to The Police's "Every Breath You Take" phonetically.

Tee hee.

Kudos for your creativity!
Thanks for the kudos, Ibby.

Making fun of singers with annoying voices is a blast.
Making fun of annoying people is an even bigger blast!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/10/20 11:35 PM
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

And a waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Waste is a terrible thing to mine.
Waste is fun to make jokes about.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/11/20 01:52 AM
I was just reading an article suggesting products are made to last longer, reducing waste.
Sometimes it is better to spend a bit more, for a higher-quality, longer-lasting product.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/11/20 06:25 PM
Hey big spender! Spend a little time with me!
Maybe you should fly out over here wink
"Spend, Spend, Spend" was the title of the memoirs of Vivian Nicholson, a poor Englishwoman who won the lottery and...well, the title makes it clear what happened from there. PovertyLad
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/12/20 07:22 AM
Ah "Sweet Charity". First saw the film when I was quite young and most of it went over my head. Great songs and Shirley MacLaine does a great job. Some bits might be a bit dated in terms of acceptable attitudes these days but the basic story still holds up.
I have a Taiwanese friend who chose Charity as her Western name.

I can understand why many native Mandarin speakers do that. Many sounds in Mandarin do not quite exist in English.
"Caridad" is Spanish for "Charity."

When I was a kid, I was thankfully a little too young for Menudo, but their hit single "Caridad," a cover of an Italian song from Umberto Tozzi (best known for the original version of "Gloria") was such a massive hit it was unavoidable.

Once I grew up and heard it again, many years later, I could better appreciate it as a catchy 80s tune.

I considered posting a video, but out of respect for people who cannot stand even the idea of Menudo, I shall refrain.
After learning some Spanish, I began to appreciate the given names of many people I knew from the Philippines. Like Corazan (heart), Fe (faith), Esperanza (Hope).
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/12/20 10:03 PM
I didn't know Esperanza meant Hope. I like that.
"Esperanto" means "One who hopes" in Esperanto.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/13/20 01:20 AM
Emordnilap is a pair of words that spells a different word when spelt backwards. For example desserts and stressed.

Emordnilap is palindrome spelt backwards.
There Otto be a law about palindromes.

But not puns.
Puns should be regulated by the amount of laughter they generate!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/14/20 02:02 AM
Without pun regulations there would be pundemonium!
However can we survive that!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/14/20 05:19 PM
A number of empty shelves at the supermarket this morning. And no Footy this afternoon! >Cue Airplane panic scene<
I turned the radio on for five minutes. It's wall to wall coverage. Turned it back off. Having 24hour news channels makes it all sound a lot worse than it is.
An increasing number of countries are closing their borders or imposing lockdowns.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/14/20 09:07 PM
Refound a radio station with comedy and horror things to keep me more entertained.
A good source for reliable news - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And

tips on coping with the psychological stress

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...lth-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_8

this one strikes a chord

"3. Minimize watching, reading or listening to news that causes you to feel anxious or distressed;
seek information only from trusted sources and mainly to take practical steps to prepare your plans
and protect yourself and loved ones. Seek information updates at specific times during the day,
once or twice. The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports about an outbreak can cause
anyone to feel worried. Get the facts; not the rumors and misinformation. Gather information at
regular intervals, from WHO website and local health authorities platforms, in order to help you
distinguish facts from rumors. Facts can help to minimize fears. "
In the words of one of my favorite fictional grandfather figures, kindly old Sgt. Esterhaus from "Hill Street Blues:"

"Let's be careful out there."

hug

love
We will get through this smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/15/20 12:04 AM
In the words of one of my favorite fictional grandfather figures, kindly old Sgt. Esterhaus from "Hill Street Blues:"

One of the scenes in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is Deckard getting taken to a police precinct. Except it's not his own. It's a parallel force run by replicants.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/15/20 08:43 AM
Plessy v Ferguson established the doctrine of separate but equal. Brown v Board of Education said that separate is never equal.
Down with segregation!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/15/20 03:47 PM
The football I go to doesn't have segregation between fans. The police, however, are never too far away in case of an incident.
Speaking of segregation, the Netherlands has imposed a partial lockdown. Not quite as bad as the ones in Spain or Italy or even France or the Philippine capital...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/16/20 01:47 AM
Here in Massachusetts the governor has banned gatherings of more than 25 people.
The entire northern island of the Philippines is locked down as well.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/16/20 01:19 PM
The Philippines is named after King Philip of Spain.
King of Philip of Spain was also King of England, jure uxoris, due to his marriage to Mary I.
He was also King of the Netherlands, when the Netherlands was still part of the Spanish Empire.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/16/20 05:01 PM
Better to be King of the Netherlands than King of the Nether Regions?
You can be both!
You can have both!

grin

Tee hee
Or more than both!
Or you can have 10,000 of them!
1,000,000 likes!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/17/20 02:21 PM
I?d like to see Ann Hebistand find a song related to a waste treatment plant. wink
Can't help you there, Quis, but this song's lyrics have a colloquial word for excrement:

I was pleased to find out that "poop" in Dutch is "poep" (and it's pronounced exactly the same way as English poop!)
I was pleased to find out that "poop" in Dutch is "poep" (and it's pronounced exactly the same way as English poop!)

There's a Vatican joke there for sure, but since I think the current Pope is okay, I won't elaborate. angel
Lol. The "oe" in Dutch always confused me. "Moe" means tired and is pronounced "moo", but I kept saying it Moe like Moe from the 3 Stooges...
I like the Peanuts strip where Snoopy & Marcie get back at Peppermint Patty for treating them like cattle by going "Moo, moo, moo," until she runs away, covering her ears.
I always wanted to see Charlie Brown FINALLY getting back at Lucy for always pulling that football away!
In the very last football strip, Lucy got called home by her mom, so she asked Rerun to hold the football. When she went back out and asked Rerun if he pulled it away or not, he said, "I won't tell." lol
Oooh. A fitting punishment!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/18/20 02:53 AM
An old Peanuts cartoon I like starts with Linus outside and it begins to rain. Linus has a big grin as he starts to run for home. The rain gets heavier. The last panel has Linus coming in soaking wet. He says to Lucy ?A smile makes a lousy umbrella!?
Maybe that's why Lucy is always so crabby.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/18/20 10:02 PM
Maryland is famous for crab legs.
I really enjoyed crab-walking when I was a kid.
Crab-walking is a pretty good core exercise.
I should try doing it again.
It's a great way to keep fit in your own living room!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/19/20 06:48 PM
If there are restrictions in getting medical treatment, who would help you if your back went whil crab walking?
Do you want to try it out and see if The Acupuncturist comes to your rescue?
I don't like the Acupuncturist. He needles me too much.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/19/20 08:42 PM
Wow! The Acupuncturist from Chakra Monthly!
Open the chakras and unleash your power!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/19/20 09:11 PM
I hear that ex-con Jim Bakker is now selling magic seeds. He got sued for selling his Silver Solution as a cure-all
Mmm.Magic seeds...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/19/20 09:22 PM
Don?t go trading the family cow.
There is a statue of a cow in the basement of my apartment building.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/20/20 10:23 PM
In my neighborhood there is a statue of a pear.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/20/20 11:45 PM
My neighbourhood has a statue of a judge that sentenced people to hanging. I'd prefer the pear or the cow one really...
Oh, yeah. No to Hangmen. We don't want to be caught glorifying costumed super villains.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/21/20 09:20 AM
Victor von Doom must have as many statues as LW.
But not on Legion World he doesn?t smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/21/20 01:52 PM
Cobalt Kid used to put up lots of statues of himself here on Legion World. Abin Quark used to get rid of them.

RIP Abin
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/21/20 08:29 PM
All the Silver Age statue appearances makes me smile on the rarer modern appearances such things make. Other things from comics have the same effect, like comic book gorillas and go-go checks.
Or Arm-Fall-Off Boy! Well, okay, he didn't actually appear that often in the Silver Age... but his recent reappearance had a similar effect on me.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/22/20 09:28 AM
I didn't think he'd appeared before his first parody appearance in the late '80s. Since when, hes been used as a stick to mock the Legion by people who never read the book.
Well, their loss wink they can't appreciate the richness that is the Legion
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/22/20 12:41 PM
And the richest of all is Lester Spiffany.
Richer than Leland McCauley or RJ Brande? Gosh!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/22/20 07:31 PM
If you doubt it then LesterSpiffany
Gasp! so much money being thrown around! More than the shade, even!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/22/20 10:58 PM
Sadly, there are still instances of coins being thrown at sporting events.
Money, money, money...not so funny. Not when it's coins pelting you like hailstones.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 12:46 AM
"I love to dive around in it like a porpoise, and burrow through it like a gopher, and toss it up and let it hit me on the head!"

-Scrooge McDuck
Speaking of ducks. I use Duolingo to learn Dutch (and other languages). Duolingo loves using silly sentences to help you learn.

In my Dutch lesson, my Dutch man and I keep laughing about the sentences:

"Last week I read an article about the important ducks."

"I think I am being followed by a rhinoceros."

"My uncle has a world-famous mustache."
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 11:05 AM
"I think I am being followed by a rhinoceros.

It could happen.
I do, after all, see them every day in central Amsterdam.

Perhaps I should rethink my trip to Mauritius later this year...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 01:55 PM
No unnecessary travel in 2020

It's the ones you don't see that you have to worry about...
No unnecessary travel in 2020

It's for a friend's wedding. I haven't booked anything yet as nobody can say whether it will push through. We're still hopeful the coronavirus trend will reverse before then, but who knows?

I would hope I could HEAR them coming. They don't exactly seem light on their feet!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ibby

I would hope I could HEAR them coming. They don't exactly seem light on their feet!

For someone who's now spent a fair bit of time in Europe, has no one told you about the Royal Rhino School of Ballet?!

Just be careful, the next time you think about posting that your partner is giving you the horn. If you're lucky you'll hear the ruffle of a tutu as warning of their attack!
As long as they don't come with the dancing ostriches, flamingos and hippos. I'm not running a zoo here.
Why do you never see an elephant hiding in a tree?

Because they're really good at it.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 07:43 PM
How do you catch a squirrel?

climb up a tree and act like a nut!
I was going to ask Elmer Fudd. But then given his track record, not a good idea...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 11:08 PM
I didn't know Elmer Fudd had been an athlete.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/23/20 11:33 PM
His Skeet Shooting record was amazing until a rival started painting rabbits on the skeets when his miss/hit ratio went way up.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/24/20 12:26 AM
My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

I may be a scwewy wabbit but I?m not going to Awcatwaz!
Wall, hawllo thew, meefter Wudd!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/24/20 06:32 PM
Wudd you, if you could?
Wudd you would Wood?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/24/20 07:37 PM
I'm having trouble seeing the Wudd from the Twees.
Een, twee, drie...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/24/20 11:58 PM
One tree free veer fire!
"Fire at Will!"

"Which one is Will?"

"Wait, I'm Will!"
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/25/20 08:41 PM
Will.i.am
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/25/20 08:55 PM
I tried changing my user name to t.hoth, but got sued by the Star Wars people.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/25/20 11:29 PM
Disney is very tough on copyright infringement.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/26/20 12:36 AM
What they dinnae ken Disnae hurt 'em
thothy, have you turned into Rogue now? I remember she used to have speech patterns like that. Or was that Cannonball and Husk... or Wolfsbane...
Woflsbane, aye.

Moira MacTaggert also had a cartoonish Scots accent.
Ah, how could I forget Moira!

And I remember Jacques and his French accent (and random French words) over in the Legion.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/26/20 10:47 AM
Considered to be progress when they didn't give the English word immediately after it.
"I speak English well. I learn it from a book."

- Manuel from "Fawlty Towers"
I learn from Duolingo, which teaches me such useful sentences in Dutch as:

The size of my hands says nothing about the size of other body parts;

Even the king needs a beer sometimes;

I had compassion for the cow;

Out of desperation, he ate a piece of cheese.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/26/20 12:41 PM
I don?t like cheese. So I would only eat it out of desperation.
A useful sentence for you, then!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/26/20 04:29 PM
I really like the dehydrated all-cheese snacks you can buy in Yuppiemarts now. Or you could before they got picked clean by virus-related panickers.

My favorite part of the toaster-grilled cheese sandwich always was the crispy bits at the edge, so....
mmm. cheese snacks.

In Dutch, they call these panic-buying hoarders "hamsters".
I love a nice hot ham & cheese sandwich! drool
Been having a lot of this while on self-quarantine

I'm gonna turn into BouncingBoy after this is over...
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/26/20 05:42 PM
mmm. cheese snacks.

In Dutch, they call these panic-buying hoarders "hamsters".

Love it!

Wonder if you can do The Hamster Dance while wearing wooden shoes... hmmm
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/27/20 12:41 AM
George Washington wore dentures but they were not made of wood. They were made of ivory and other people?s teeth.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/27/20 08:36 AM
I bought someone the vinyl of Fleetwood Macs Tusk for their Christmas last year.
Boldtusk is an orc in the Empires and Puzzles game.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/27/20 01:50 PM
I still keep an old online account going for a game that includes some Orc- things in it.
Orcs, goblins, elves, dwarves, pixies, knights, wizards, sorcerors. Empires and Puzzles has them all.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/27/20 03:20 PM
I swear, I haven't "gamed" since the days of Pac-Man and Qbert. I have nothing against games, but don't I already waste *enough* time screwing around when I ought to be doing something important? sigh

Plus, I'm still stubbornly hanging on to my flip phone.

It'd be nice to have a better handle on what people are talking about when they talk games, though.
I feel the same way, Cleome.

'Course, when I was a kid they BANNED arcade games after a few years, because kids from poor families were hocking their mom's kitchen appliances for token money. And while my parents weren't poor, we certainly couldn't afford one of those big, stupid state-of-the-art Nintendo stay-at-home set-ups.

Ahh, South America in the 80s...
We had a Playstation when I was younger, but certainly could not afford buying too many games. We had maybe 5-10 games. My favorite was the Suikoden series. For each, you could recruit 108 characters to your cause.

Like with the Legion, I like big groups wink
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/27/20 10:57 PM
I still like video games although I prefer turn-based strategy type on a PC to those requiring fast reflexes. Both my sons are deep into games so we talk about them a bit. I also frequent videogamegeek, an offshoot of boardgamegeek which is the largest site for boardgames (another major interest) on the net. Course I am not well enough to play them often but I still like to keep in touch.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/28/20 02:04 AM
According to the Boston Globe I have a child.

When I was little the local kindergarten expanded the number of students it would take. There was a line overnight to sign up kids and my brother Mike waited in line to sign me up.

The Boston Globe did a story on it. But they wrote that my brother waited in line for me and that my child would be attending that fall.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/28/20 04:34 AM
Even then Quis was really tall for his age. ColossalBoya
A growing boy, Quis was.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/28/20 06:44 PM
I think I watched that Jerry Springer show: "Imaginary kid says 5 year old father has abandoned him."
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/28/20 11:33 PM
Jerry Springer had been the mayor of Cincinnati.
'Let's not start talking about celebrities who become politicians. It makes me depressed.
Seconded. Let's talk instead about celebrities who are decent people who use their fame and fortune to try and make the world a better place. Elton John, for instance.
A beautiful topic, Annfie!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/29/20 02:35 PM
I don't follow much celebrity stuff, so the last things I heard about Elton John were a story about how he became a drug addict, being sued by an employee for harassment and a super-injunction preventing the UK press reporting on some tittle tattle. I was going to say that the stories must have been big to have spread into the main news, but I imagine the press having a field day and reporting it everywhere to get the clickbait in, and being piously enraged when they can't get their way.
Ah, clickbait. There's a Facebook group called Clickbait Crusaders, whose members are dedicated to spoiling clickbait. The practice is to post a screenshot of a clickbait-y Facebook post, and spoil the contents. Screenshots only so you don't reward the clickbaiters by giving them more clicks.
I don't follow much celebrity stuff, so the last things I heard about Elton John were a story about how he became a drug addict, being sued by an employee for harassment and a super-injunction preventing the UK press reporting on some tittle tattle. I was going to say that the stories must have been big to have spread into the main news, but I imagine the press having a field day and reporting it everywhere to get the clickbait in, and being piously enraged when they can't get their way.

That was a long time ago. Like more than 30 years ago. Since then, he's gotten sober (and he's the only celebrity who I actually *believe* when he claims he hasn't once relapsed in 3 decades) and dedicated himself to various LGBTQ causes and other social activism.

He was once every bit as reckless and childish as his peers. Unlike them, he's grown up.
It's very admirable of someone to grow up. Many people cannot do that.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/29/20 08:21 PM
?There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.?

- - the Doctor
For those in a relationship, it's also a good idea to let your partner be childish sometimes. Within limits.
He'll do it whether I let him or not. wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/30/20 01:07 AM
I wouldn?t know about that having never been in a relationship.
Er... I can confirm.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/30/20 04:58 PM
I wouldn?t know about that having never been in a relationship.

If you have a kitty, that still counts as a relationship. You know, the kind where you're the servant and the kitty's the deity. But still...
Our eldest dog always sleeps on my parents' bed, in between them. Every time. He will jump in between them. He's very possessive of my mother.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/30/20 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by cleome53
If you have a kitty, that still counts as a relationship. You know, the kind where you're the servant and the kitty's the deity. But still...

There's a certain quality in the laugh of visitors, containing a delighted tone with a hint of future blackmail, as they see me pander to the whims of kitties in a way they know I'd never do for them.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/31/20 01:31 AM
On my first shopping run post-virus shutdown I got a bag of cat food and 3 bags of cat treats. The cashier noted it and said ?can?t run out of that, can we??
you will pay for it dearly, if you do!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/31/20 07:24 PM
Paying dearly for things was what happened with some price gougers a few weeks back, before there was some official response.

I didn't stockpile kitty food in one go, I just bought a small amount extra with each shop over weeks before the lockdown. It lasts a while before it has to be used, and depriving another kitty of its food would get me in trouble. *they're * not on lockdown, and they talk.
People who broke quarantine also paid dearly in fines! Including those silly people who held "I am invincible to the coronavirus ha ha ha" parties (and some of them ended up getting it too)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/31/20 09:30 PM
We're not in complete quarantine. Amongst other things, we can currently leave the house for exercise. Once a day and local and keeping social distancing in place, and basic common sense, like not meeting up with people etc. Fortunately, I live next to a little park and have gone round it.
The restrictions are even looser here in the Netherlands. You can go out as often as you want, though it's highly recommended (and somewhat enforced) to keep 1.5 meters away from others unless you are a pair of people going about. I do see families of 3, 4 or more standing close to one another though, but they are clearly families.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 03/31/20 11:55 PM
We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing

We are family
We are family

Everyone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(And) and we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie

all of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose

We are family (Hey, y'all)
We are family
Get up everybody and sing (sing it to me)

We are family
We are family

Living life is fun and we've just begun
To get our share of this world's delights
(High) high hopes we have for the future
And our goal's in sight

no, we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong, oh no
This is our family jewel

We are family (hey, sing it to me)
We are family (oh, I can hear you now)

We are family
We are family (get up, get up y'all)

We are family (I got all my sisters with me)
We are family
Get up everybody and sing (Get up and sing it to me)

We are family
I got all my sisters with me (we're having fun)
We are family

Get up, get up, get up and sing it to me
Oh, I can't hear you y'all
Oh, have faith in you and the things you do
Hey hey, oh hey hey hey
Get up, get up y'all
Oh, hey hey hey
I got my sisters with me
Everybody, hey hey hey
Get up, get up and sing it to me

We're having fun
Life, life has just begun for me
Me, me and my family
Get up, get up and sing it
Sing it, sing it, sing it, sing it to me

Yeah, we're back together like birds of a feather
Get up, come on y'all
We are family (yeah, sing it to me)
I remember the Simpsons singing this one time.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/01/20 03:44 PM
There are people alive today who have never known a world without the Simpsons.
It's such a long-runner!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/01/20 07:52 PM
There are people alive today who have never known a world without the Simpsons.

The kids of Mr and Mrs Simpson, who live down the road from me for a start.
Say hi to Bart, Lisa and Maggie for us!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/01/20 09:14 PM
They must have been under some pressure to actually call them that. I winder just how many "D'Ohs!" people called Simpson have had to put up with.
In other news, meet Covid Bryant, Covid Lorraine and Covid Rose...

... and Coviduvidapdap....

https://www.vice.com/en_asia/article/pke8y9/filipino-name-trend-baby-coronavirus-covid-bryant
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/01/20 09:47 PM
I can't wait until their grandparents, Spanish Flu and Black Death get to see the newborns.
Their dog is named HIV, too.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/02/20 12:47 AM
The sort of new trendy name that I absolutely loathe is Nevaeh. That is heaven spelt backwards.
Well, it's a better name than Lleh.
If spelling a word backwards makes it mean the opposite, maybe Lleh would be a better choice.
Or it could end up like Zatanna's powers, and spelling backwards makes it happen...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/02/20 09:52 PM
I wonder what happens when it's Bizarro Zatanna speaking backwards.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/02/20 10:23 PM
There was a Zatanna story where the bad guy was reversing Zatanna?s words to undo her spells. When she realized what he was doing, she casts her spells using only palindromes.
Pretty clever. And wow, she must have quite the vocabulary... I would try speaking all in palindromes, but probably wouldn't even be able to finish a sentence!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/03/20 06:31 AM
Every palindrome I know I learned from Weird Al's "Bob."

Hey, waitaminnit. I'm confused. Did Ibby already deliver the coup de grace to this thread? urk
Based on the time stamps from April 2 and April 3, I think this thread survived!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/03/20 07:43 AM
The time thing always confuses me.

shocked I should be in bed anyway.
I always rely on time stamps as well smile Otherwise I also get confused...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/03/20 07:06 PM
Maybe that's why the Legion's Time Trapper never won. He just found the whole time travel thing a bit confusing.
It is kind wibbly-wobbly.
What if by traveling through time you altered the rules of time travel?
That made my head hurt.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/03/20 11:39 PM
I recall reading a story where the person inventing time travel kept changing. He'd always have a reason for inventing the machine. But would be completely unaware that every time it happened, the world and its history changed around him.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 12:06 AM
Love that concept Thoth. If you ever remember who wrote the story I would love to read it.

In the Doctor Who universe the Time Lords not only discovered/invented time travel but then setup the rules around it - not just ethical laws but actual physical laws about how it worked (at least in the off-screen canon).
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 12:06 AM
Stephen Fry wrote a book about going back and preventing Hitler from being born. It is titled ?Making History?. It is quite good.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 12:38 AM
Love that concept Thoth. If you ever remember who wrote the story I would love to read it.

In the Doctor Who universe the Time Lords not only discovered/invented time travel but then setup the rules around it - not just ethical laws but actual physical laws about how it worked (at least in the off-screen canon).

I'd hazard a guess that it was a Future Shock in 2000AD. Another story there had 2 temporal investigators going on a case and returning to HQ. There are other people in the backgrounds, and as the story continues, you see that they are all the two investigators, at different points in time.
Future Shock was the name of the 2-parter when Kyle Rayner ended up in the Reboot Legion's time.

Featuring CosmicBoy1 LiveWire SaturnGirl1 Spark InvisibleKid1 XS Apparition Violet UltraBoy1 Ferro Triad StarBoy1

and introducing Kyle's descendant Cary Wren.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 11:27 AM
How Kyle got a descendant when all his partners end up dead in fridges remains a mystery.
He married a mutant who had the power to survive refrigerators.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 04:20 PM
They'd need the powers to survive serial killers and misogynist writers too. smile
If you can survive a refrigerator, you can survive those. The refrigerator is more threatening wink and I have the fake statistics to back it up!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 04:32 PM
You don't need fake statistics. Statistics will do just the same job.
When you think about it, there are so many ways to manipulate statistics that even "legitimate" research can come up with silly conclusions. Change the sample size, remove extreme values, do non-random sampling...
That's probably why David Letterman always used to sarcastically refer to statistics, in a "country" accent, as, "sah-tis-tiks."
It's kind of like history. The winner writes it. So it is with statistics...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 09:55 PM
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

- Mark Twain. attributed
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 10:09 PM
One of the reasons cited for people supposedly turning away from "experts" wasn't turning away form knowledge, just the use of poor research and analysis to come up with any old guff. People see right through it, and a lot of them were very tired of it. I could give you some stats on the distribution... smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/04/20 10:15 PM
83% of all statistics are made up.
Including that one!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/05/20 11:46 AM
How dare you impugn my honesty!
I was complimenting your creativity!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/05/20 07:35 PM
Too bad neither honesty nor creativity will make you rich. PovertyLad
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/05/20 07:53 PM
I knew I should have read those Secret Society of Supervillains comics more than the Justice League ones!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/05/20 11:17 PM
Bring back Funky Flashman!
Fun the Fantastic was a gnome-like character who was the original mascot of DC's New Fun Comics.

I think DC should bring him back.
DC could bring everyone back, if they really, really wanted!
Though given the quality of writing at DC these days, do we *really* want them to?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/06/20 02:59 PM
"It's a brand new dance. We're bringin' it back
Everybody's rockin' it down at the Chicken Shack..."

Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/06/20 04:59 PM
The Chicken Shack is just down the road from the Love Shack.
Yeah, but has the Chicken Shack got a...TIN ROOF? Rusted?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/06/20 07:13 PM
Legion vs the Rock Lobsters!
Lobsters make me lazy. I hate cracking the shells open.
A few month back I started singing this weird amalgamation of Love Shack and the Love Boat theme.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/06/20 08:33 PM
Oh the love boat is a little old place
where we can get quarantined
Charo appeared on a lot of Love Boat episodes. Years ago, in the Anywhere Machine forum, she inspired me to write the following:

"If Charo gets a sunburn while riding a shark, does that make her a charred Charo on a carcharo?"

I don't usually re-post my old puns, but I have to admit I'm kinda proud of that one.
"Char" is one of those kind of meaningless words that many campy gay men in the Philippines toss randomly into sentences.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/06/20 11:13 PM
Oh the love boat is a little old place
where we can get quarantined

I thought it would be more:

The looove shack
Exciting and new
The loooove shack
Adventure is waiting for you
A shack has more stability, but the boat adds a bit of movement!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/07/20 03:18 PM
I saw a clip of Weird Al on *~*Conan*~* singing "One More Minute," and I was disappointed to note that he hadn't written any new lyrics for the age of social distancing.

Typical. Talk shows are all a waste of time anyway.
Maybe he was too busy washing his hands to write.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/07/20 10:03 PM
I am not so busy that I can?t post here.
Posting here is an excellent use of one's time smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/08/20 12:53 AM
Try telling my boss that.
Dear Quislet's Boss,

Posting on Legion World is an excellent use of his time. You should allow him to do it as his only duty. He will be the most productive employee you ever had.

Thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Love,
Rockhopper Lad
Dear Quislet's Boss,

I agree completely with Rockhopper Lad.

Kind regards,

Invisible Brainiac
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/08/20 07:05 PM
Dear Quislet's Boss,

I'd like to report a moider. I tried to phone, but someone was too busy posting to forums to answer.

As the victim of the moider, I can be reached at the address below.

Jim Corrigan
Drawer C-9
City Morgue
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/09/20 12:01 AM
Thank goodness you wrote to Quislet?s boss and not mine, Quislet, Esq.?s boss.
I can?t imagine Quislet ever listening to a boss...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/09/20 04:34 PM
I listen to my boss. Whether I do what she says is another matter.
Listening doesn't mean agreeing wink
What? I'm sorry. I wasn't listening.
One of my Duolingo Dutch sentences is "I wasn't talking to YOU, I was talking to the rhinoceros.""
That could be super-useful if lil'rhino came to visit!
He will be so pleased that I learned how to say "rhinoceros" in Dutch before I learned to say "giraffe" or "Hippopotamus"!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/09/20 09:55 PM
Giraffes were my favorite animal when I was a kid.
I wonder what Quis's favorite animal is now, and how the giraffes feel about being abandoned by him.
Did Quislet abandon the giraffes because they kept saying, "I want a Clark Bar?"
Or did Quis just get bored? Though I suppose it would be boring listening to the same line over and over and over again...
Maybe Quis should have tried to get the giraffes to sing along to old favorites. Quis knows plenty of classic songs.
Perhaps they could sing along with Giraffe.

People who insist "GIF" is pronounced "Jif" should see my collection of giraffic novels.
People who insist on pronouncing "GIF" with a Dutch hard G should stock up on lozenges!
That would be terrific, Rocky. And I'll bring along some peanut butter. wink grin
mmmmmm peanut butterrrrrrr :yummy:
Peanuts better. wink

I still have all my little Peanuts paperbacks, even though I have my favorite years of the strip in the Complete Peanuts hardcover volumes.

Sentimental value. love
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/10/20 11:05 AM
Wish I had mine. They were so much fun.
Yeah, I had to leave most of my comic books and books behind when I moved to Europe. Ah well, I still have the memories. And brought a few of the best ones with me.
Good thinking, Ibby. There's always that handful of extra special ones which simply cannot be left behind!
Thanks, Fanfie. Indeed. And I think many of us have had some particularly memorable comic books get us through tough times!
I stopped buying comics about five years ago. I went into my old comic book store about a year ago and I remembered how I always felt awkward and out of place there because I didn't read the most popular titles, I didn't buy figurines, and I didn't play RPGs. I would sometimes have to wait for ten minutes to get a staff member's attention for them to get my pull list.
Sorry to hear that, Rocky. I can definitely relate.

I wonder if the previous generation of comics fandom felt as disrespected 20-30 years ago as ours does today.
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
I stopped buying comics about five years ago. I went into my old comic book store about a year ago and I remembered how I always felt awkward and out of place there because I didn't read the most popular titles, I didn't buy figurines, and I didn't play RPGs. I would sometimes have to wait for ten minutes to get a staff member's attention for them to get my pull list.

Yeah, some stores really help perpetuate this stereotype that to enjoy comics you have to belong to this whole subculture, which then ends up excluding the people who don't.
Some fans (of anything) can be so proud of their fan status that... well... yeah. Every place I hear the word "noob" getting tossed around, I just tune out.
"Noob" rhymes with "boob," which unfortunately describes the public behavior of far too many fans.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/10/20 10:52 PM
If you do not know who Lester Spiffany is, then you are a noob.

Joking
If you do not know who Tiffany Spiffany is, then you would be well advised to spend lots of time exploring the Bits forum.
There's lots of gold in the Bits forum!
I'm quite fond of gold!
I didn't know Tiffany was a nun!
They have a pretty crazy dress code at Mayavale University!
There's a dress code? Could have fooled me!
My favorite episode of Keeping Up Appearances ends with Hyacinth and the vicar's wife find our Rose in a storage closet where the vicar has fallen on top of her. Rose looks at them and says, "It's all right! I'm going to be a nun!"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/11/20 06:30 PM
I tuned into a farce this afternoon, where a girl had fled her house after an argument, creating numerous scenes of misunderstanding as she spent the night at a grand neighbours house... in her pyjamas. Pompous mother of neighbour ended up being caught holding the argumentative instigator's trousers up, as he was using his belt as a muzzle for his angry dog.
I like the Commonwealth spelling "pyjamas" better than the American "pajamas." That Y looks so cool there.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/11/20 10:13 PM
I saw in an old book ?sofa? spelt as ?sopha?. It took me a minute to figure it out.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/11/20 10:14 PM
I like the "y"s in "Pyngwyn" myself smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/11/20 11:44 PM
Penguins is practically chickens. And I hates to see chickens cry so much, that I has to put them out of their misery.
One night farmer brown was taken the air
Locked up the barnyard with the greatest of care
Down in the hen house somethin' stirred
When he shouted, "who's there?", this is what he heard
There ain't nobody here but us chickens, there ain't nobody here at all
So calm yourself, stop that fuss, ain't nobody here but us
We're chickens trying to sleep and you butt in
And hobble, hobble, hobble, hobble with your chin
There ain't nobody here but us chickens, there ain't nobody here at all
You're stompin' around, shakin' the ground, kickin' up an awful dust
We're chickens trying to sleep and you butt in
And hobble, hobble, hobble, hobble, it's a sin
Penguins is practically chickens. And I hates to see chickens cry so much, that I has to put them out of their misery.

Them's fightin' words! wink
I read that as children.

Happily, neither my man nor I want to have children wink

Also: penguins are FANCY chickens! wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/12/20 03:47 PM
I like being an uncle.
There are benefits to being an uncle, and not a father smile
I like being from U.N.C.L.E.
I hear A.U.N.T. is also pretty hard-core!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/12/20 08:14 PM
Both are better than being with THRUSH
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/12/20 08:31 PM
Imagine the humiliation of being KAOS and getting beaten by Maxwell Smart every week.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/12/20 09:11 PM
I think you've got to let your arch villains get the occasional win, otherwise they turn into Doctor Light.
Particularly if it's a Gothic arch villain. They're pointy.
Most of them call themselves ""Gargoyle" for some reason.
Only if they have drain spouts; otherwise, they're grotesques.
"Grotesque" would be a really good villain name.
And it's certainly more meaningful to the average person than, say, Extant or Parallax.
"Extant" might actually make some sense as a villain name if it were used by the evil Hal Jordan, if he was the last extant Green Lantern, but I have no idea what was up with "Parallax".
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/14/20 08:42 PM
There was the Parallax View film form the '70s. It had a Manchurian Candidate type of subplot. SO the person you saw was really conditioned to be controlled by someone else. That has some parallels with the GL plot.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/15/20 01:20 AM
I don?t like the DC tv shows because a lot of times the characters do things only because that is what the plot needs them to do rather than because of real motivation.
Ugh. that sounds like really bad writing!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/15/20 08:41 PM
You could get away with that a bit more in ye olde comiks as the characters had no personality, so motivation wasn' t much of an issue.
Cookie-cutter carbon copies! Say it three times fast !
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/16/20 01:17 AM
It three times fast
Faster than the Flash?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/16/20 09:02 PM
Nothing is faster than Lint.
Lint beat Flash in a race. Ran the whole thing twice while Flash was still limping along.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/16/20 09:47 PM
Then there's Ludicrous Speed...

I'm dizzy now.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/17/20 12:04 AM
There is a Norse myth where Thor, Loki, and Thor?s servant boy are traveling and come to a city of giants. They each compete in a contest. Loki in an eating contest, the servant in a foot race, and Thor in a wrestling match.

Thor?s opponent is a little old lady. Thor loses to her and Loki and the servant lose their contests too. It turned out that Thor was wrestling with old age, Loki was pitted against fire, and the servant raced against thought.
Nice retelling, Quis!
Stories were made to be retold over and over.

(Although sometimes I take issue with certain tellers...)
The best stories are timeless because they appeal to engaging aspects of the human experience.
According to Georges Polti, there are thirty six basic plots.
Did Polti enjoy poultry?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/17/20 10:56 PM
Did he form the band Scritti Politti?

I enjoy saying the name of Scritti Politti leader Green Gartside in a shrill old crone's voice: "GRREEE GRRRARRIDE"

I amuse myself easily.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 12:43 AM
Back in the 80s I was at ComicCon with a bunch of friends. My friend Adam had just bought a toy catbus from My Neighbor Totoro and was playing with it. Another friend commented that he was easily amused. I then said ?You should see him with a piece of string!?
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 01:39 AM
String was the topic of one of my favourite "The Goodies" TV episodes when they look for something wholesome and clean to start selling and end up selling string.
Still remember the jingle "String, string, string, string, everybod y loves string."

(For those unaware The Goodies was a British comedy TV series in the 70's-80's starring three comedians coming from the same school of comedy as Monty Python. Very popular here in Aus.)

I was sorry to hear of Tim Brooke Taylor's death of COVID-19 related illness. He was a terrific comedian. Amongst many other roles he had a brief part in the original Willy Wonka movie as the computer guy trying to program the computer to predict the location of the last golden tickets.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 10:49 AM
The Goodies were quite the thing in the UK. The giant Kitten climbing the Post Office Tower was a favourite (Kitten Kong).

I've got into the habit of listening to old comedy shows on the radio, and that's when I realised that the Goodies and Monty Python were so good because all of the comedians worked together on I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again. Actually, that's when the penny dropped that there were several decades of top radio comedy behind loads of TV hits. There's also a goodies/ Python mash up in the At Last, the 1948 Show! (broadcast in the late '60s). There's also Doctor in the House (which I've not seen). Loads of the writers (Brooke Taylor did some of that too) would move around shows too, like Marty Feldman.

A radio spinoff of I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again was I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. I've only listened for 6-7 years, but Taylor's been on it probably since it started in the early '70s. In my listening, it's hosted by deadpan Jack Dee and when Brooke-Taylor was on, they'd invariably have a round where he had to sing a tune with the lyrics of another tune. But pretty much everything about it is funny.

A big loss across lots of media and another bit of cherished childhoods across generations sadly gone.

I also feel for Barry Crier. He's been involved in so many of these shows across TV and radio. Before that, he would have performed in clubs where they all got their starts. He's so often heard saying kinds words and reminiscing about all the comedians, and friends, who have now gone.

I've never seen the Goodies, and mostly only know of Tim Brooke-Taylor through the Python connections. Definitely a major loss, however.
I've seen a couple of Python sketches. Quite entertaining
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 03:12 PM
And now for something completely different...

The dye packs that banks use are made to look like a packet of money. In a robbery that happened in the bank I worked at (but a different branch), the robber pointed to the dye pack and said ?I want those bills too?. The teller dutifully gave him the dye pack.
I'm giggling thinking about dye exploding on some robbers.
I nearly dyed laughing. lol
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 06:05 PM
dyed and gone to heaven.
Kaboom!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 06:36 PM
Kimota!
Kimiyo!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/18/20 07:26 PM
Let there be Light! Doctor Light!
My favorite Justice Leaguer!
Originally Posted by thoth
dyed and gone to heaven.

With MY reputation?
But you're colorful!
I'm gauche in gouache.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 12:25 AM
Ann Hebistand is Plaid Lass
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 01:54 AM
Bought and Plaid For is a lost 1920s movie.
Plaid Lad's starring moment! PlaidLad
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 09:13 AM
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is a Steve Martin movie, made in the '80s but set in the '30s or '40s. It's about Plaid Lad using futuristic technology to solve crimes while trying to return to the future.

Not at all. Plaid is not good, it's bad.
I'm more of a solid-color man myself!
Swimmers are watercolors people.
Swimmers love the water!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 01:19 PM

Not at all. Plaid is not good, it's bad.

I dislike paisley
But how do you feel about Brad Paisley?
He's cute!
I'm more partial to argyle if I'm going for a pattern.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 09:41 PM
Chris Evans is cuter.
I would agree, though anyone is cuter in argyle socks.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 09:47 PM
Even if Aargh!-yle is Ambush Bug's nemesis?!
Chris Evans is cuter.

Oh, no contest there.
Does Chris Evans have an appreciation thread? He should.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/19/20 10:57 PM
Which Legionnaire should Chris Evans play? I am thinking Matter-Eater Lad.
It is well-established that Tenzil is the most handsome Legionnaire!
I want Chris to play Brainiac 5. love

Give him an opportunity for a more complex character than Captain America.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/20/20 12:42 AM
Isn?t Matter-Eater Lad a complex character?
I want Chris to play Cosmic Boy so we can see him in the Cosmic Bustier. love
I don't know if Tenzil was the most handsome, but he was definitely one of the most attractive. I remember that 5YL story where several female Legionnaires were very complimentary of him, thinking it was a "waste" that he got married.

Sigh, Chris Evans. You could do the laundry on those abs...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/20/20 07:48 PM
Apparently he goes to bed at 9:30. I wonder when he goes to sleep.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/20/20 10:03 PM
Reading for a while before sleep is a good way to remove the rattle of thoughts going round your brain.
Sometimes I read to my husband before we go to sleep. Sometimes he reads to me.
My man and I went to bed last night, and couldn't sleep. So we played 20 Questions.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/21/20 11:11 AM
20 Questions is what the kids call it.
"Do you like it?" is also a question...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/21/20 04:43 PM
As You Like It is a Shakespearian comedy.
I like comedies!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/22/20 01:02 AM
West Side Story is just Romeo and Juliet.
Romeo and Juliet is just Pyramus and Thisbe.
There is often a basic framework for stories. Like the hero's journey. It works, it appeals to the human imagination and emotion.
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester on April 17, 2020

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester on April 22, 2020

Deja vu?
Much like good stories, good posts tend to get repeated over and over!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/22/20 04:48 PM
Much like good stories, good posts tend to get repeated over and over!

And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/22/20 09:46 PM
There are Thirty Nine Steps
Not in the Spanish Steps. Nor in the Ifugao Rice Terraces.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/22/20 10:13 PM
All the spies ran out of breath on the Spanish Steps.
They're not the Spanish Steps anymore, they're now the Latinx Steps. wink tongue grin
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/22/20 11:47 PM
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Oh Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night
The first place I saw the name "Constantinople" was in a Dr. Seuss book about long words.
I keep thinking that the one positive aspect of "Neo-Ottomanism" in contemporary Turkey is that they might change it back to Constantinople.
Otto likes to get blotto, so he ought not to drive an auto.
Otto won the lotto too. Now he can hire a chauffeur.
At least until he squanders all the lotto money.
By hiring an expensive chauffeur!
If Otto's car were an Autobot, he wouldn't need a chauffeur!
So that's where the lotto money went...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/23/20 04:26 PM
My cat swears that it wasn?t spent on wet food and catnip.
My dog doesn't even think about lying. He just went and spent it all on doggie treats.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/23/20 09:17 PM
Why should you let sleeping dogs lie, if it just encourages them to be dishonest?
But they're completely honest ONLY when they're asleep!
My name is John. My husband is George. We have two dogs named Paul and Ringo. It had to happen.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/24/20 01:02 AM
Help
I need somebody
(Help!) not just anybody
(Help!) you know I need someone
Help!
The really funny part is when people hear the dogs' names and say "now you just need John and George...oh, wait!"
Jokes are funnier when you "get"them yourself!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/24/20 08:22 PM
Marx Bros on a train...Chico returns up the corridor meeting with Groucho and the Ticket Inspector...

Groucho: Is that a black eye?
Chico: No, it's a birth mark.
Groucho: You don't have a birth mark.
Chico: Sure I do. I went into the wrong berth.

I laughed.
I'm too tired from work to laugh. Lol.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/24/20 09:25 PM
Q: Does it hurt?
A: Only when I laugh.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/24/20 11:03 PM
Marx Bros on a train...Chico returns up the corridor meeting with Groucho and the Ticket Inspector...

Groucho: Is that a black eye?
Chico: No, it's a birth mark.
Groucho: You don't have a birth mark.
Chico: Sure I do. I went into the wrong berth.

I laughed.

That joke works better when spoken
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/25/20 12:20 AM
I assumed everyone would read the post out loud.
I read Chico's lines with his accent!
I love accents! I might get some in my hair!

When the salons open, anyway...
The first place I saw the name "Constantinople" was in a Dr. Seuss book about long words.

By coincidence, that book is the latest to be featured in Dr. Seuss Raps over Dr. Dre beats. (Speaking of reading stuff out loud!)

Hop on Pop is a masterpiece.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/25/20 09:44 PM
"Hip Hop on Pop" if it's "Dr. Seuss Raps over Dr. Dre beats."
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/25/20 09:48 PM
I preferred ?Go Dogs Go?
Was that by Snoop?
WHO let the dogs out!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/25/20 10:49 PM
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War!
After their nap, dinner and ear rubs!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/25/20 11:13 PM
One of my dad?s dogs used to go to his garden and dog up a couple of carrots to eat.
Did he say, "What's up, dog?"
I think that's what Bugs Bunny said when he saw the dog digging up his carrots.
Did he say, "What's up, dog?"

Was Not Was used that as the title for one of their albums, the one with "Walk the Dinosaur" on it.

https://youtu.be/zYKupOsaJmk
Nice theme naming there!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/26/20 05:01 PM
I always liked the alter ego name for Mr. Miracle - Scott Free
I liked it too, and thought it was cool that this obviously punny name was given an in-universe explanation: Granny Goodness mocking him. Speaking of, Granny Goodness is a very ironic, self-mocking name...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/26/20 08:45 PM
In the Legion we have Jo Nah and the planet Bismol. I imagine it would have been over the top to have named Matter-Eater Lad Pepto
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/26/20 09:18 PM
Pepto can be a moon of Bismoll smile
It can replace the moon that the Bismollians ate during the great famine of 3089.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/27/20 12:15 AM
I have seen several references on the net to Bismoll's capital city being called Pepto City, but none of them tell me where that was actually published.
Sometimes in-jokes become so popular that they merge into canon.
"Constructicons, merge to become -- Devastator"
Eeek! it's destroyed everything!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/27/20 05:09 PM
That's the end of the thread then.
Alas.
Ha.
It's on life support!
Get some wands and wait for a lightning storm.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/27/20 11:47 PM
And have Proty?s consciousness inhabit the thread? No thank you!
We could change the continuity so that the Proty thing never happened. smile
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/28/20 12:28 AM
What Proty thing? What are you talking about? Sounds like a fairy tale to me.
All I remember is Proty leading the Super Pets, expanding its size and scope to 25 members... then the Legion apologizing after Proty?s sentience was recognize and admitting it after Cham and Imra left (no more duplication of powers rule as an obstacle!). Proty eventually became Legion leader, finally negotiated with the UP to lift the tax restrictions limiting the Legion to 25, and ushered in the Golden Age for the team...

Proty really knew how to play that whole ?remember when you treated Proteans as pets? angle...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/28/20 04:38 PM
I always had dogs as pets growing up. Pooch was the best watchdog we had.
Snoopy is my favorite Peanuts character, but I can't deny he was a flop as a watchdog.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/28/20 06:38 PM
Pooch was a member of The Losers who kept winning.
Most people back home didn't know that "pooch" meant dog...
Poochie was a one-shot character in Peanuts, an insensitive girl who hurt the feelings of a very young Snoopy. She threw a stick for him to chase, and then thoughtlessly walked away as he was bringing back the stick.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/29/20 01:37 AM
My dog loves to chase balls but never really got the "bring it back" bit.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/29/20 01:58 AM
Poochie was also a one time addition to the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon on the Simpsons.
Yeah, I remember. Poochie was so hyped up in-universe, but everyone in "real life" hated him.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/29/20 08:30 PM
It was nice that modest Bouncing Boy didn't have an inflated opinion of himself.
Luorny would have pricked his ego if he did.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/29/20 11:30 PM
I'm not sure the comics code allows things like that.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/30/20 12:11 AM
Not allowed? Me? I'm allowed everywhere!

- The Doctor
"Get out of my bathroom!"

- Invisible Brainiac

I probably say that more often than I should.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 04/30/20 10:12 PM
It?s not a T room is it?
Is that where one keeps one's T Rex?
I do know a guy called Rex who loves these T-rooms.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/01/20 07:52 PM
The only Rex I know is a wonder dog.
Not T-Rex?
What about Rex Harrison?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/02/20 08:18 AM
Oi 'ated 'is elocution lessons
Try reading that in French.
I've always found Rex "Metamorpho" Mason sexy. Tough guy with a heart of gold archetype. Proof that it's the personality that counts, not the outer appearance.
Completely agree about Rex. He's also smart, curious, adventurous (an archaeologist! who had a lot of insights into different cultures, ancient and modern). No wonder Crimson Fox had a thing for him.
Nobody ever loves Java.
Yeah, that programming language isn't very good anymo- oh, wait.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/02/20 05:31 PM
Nobody talks about Basic or Fotran anymore
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/02/20 05:42 PM
They only made a single appearance in Metamorpho though.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/03/20 01:34 AM
Sapphire Stagg. All that and a bag of chips?
Chips with dip!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/03/20 03:29 PM
Really. I would have thought you would have preferred Java to Sapphire.
Erm. I'm worried Java would crush me by accident.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/03/20 10:29 PM
DC's revived Neanderthals is has a few entries, with Java, Gnarrk and Garn (who appeared in Teen Titans before Gnarrk). Not as ingrained as DC Gorillas, but still...
Gnaark, poor forgotten Titan...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/03/20 11:50 PM
He's gnarrked off at being forgotten.
I casually once mentioned that Titan was a moon of Saturn. Someone was quite surprised that I knew that. Not a Legion fan, obvi.
Not to be confused with Titania, which is a moon of Uranus.
And also a Super-Villain, not a Super-hero.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/04/20 09:03 PM
Titania: The moon that escapes it's orbital commitments to go off on crime sprees.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/05/20 01:55 AM
Titania: the only Legion character written by Shakespeare.
Uranus is unique among the planets in that it's moons take their name from English literature rather than Greek mythology.
Despite Uranus himself being a Greek god!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/05/20 10:51 AM
I think the men who named the planet Uranus knew how millions of children would say it and thought we owe it to them.
There are worse reasons for naming something...
It's not like pronouncing it "Urine-us"is any less amusing.
Either pronunciation will appeal to... well... tons of people.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/05/20 09:54 PM
Two Ton Tony Tubbs was a character in a near future UK comic. His need for weight gain to achieve fame was a satire on celebrity culture as well as the levels of self worth a lot of people have. It was a poignant story.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/06/20 12:39 AM
Uranus was a Greek God as opposed to the other planets which were named after their corresponding Roman Gods. The equivalent Roman God was Cronus who the father of Saturn who was the father of Jupiter who was the father of Mars (see how it works?).

Interestingly it was decades after its discovery that the name was agreed upon. The name its discoverer gave it was Georgium Sidus (George's Star) after King George III so it could have been a lot worse.
Then Uranus would have been demoted (well, correctly re-classified!) as a planet.

Like Pluto, but that is debatable... *ducks and hides from all the Pluto fans*
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/06/20 11:15 AM
Both Pluto and Goofy are dogs, but only Goofy talks. Also Goofy was originally called Dippy Dawg

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
There was a lot of interesting politics concerning the discovery of new planets and the classification of such. The category of "asteroid" was actually invented as a way of demoting Ceres (and its companions) from planetary status, primarily because the British wanted to maintain the honor of having had the only astronomer to have discovered a new planet. Of course, about the time they finally got everyone else to go along with this, Neptune was discovered by German astronomers, spoiling the whole thing.
Go Germany! Go Neptune!
When I was young, I went to a lecture by Clyde Thompson, the discoverer of Pluto. It seemed so cool at the time, because he was the only person alive who had discovered a planet, and it seemed unlikely that anyone else would discover a planet anytime soon.

Of course, since then Pluto has been demoted from being a planet, and astronomers are discovering exo-planets all the time now.
On the other hand, that sense of wonder when Pluto was discovered will remain forever!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/07/20 01:15 AM
Only 4 of the 12 people who have walked on the moon are still alive.
Sobering statistics.

As an Internet commenter, I hereby conclude that the moon is bad for your health!
What's really depressing is that, in all likelihood, none of them will live to see humans walk on the moon again.
Well, now that is sad...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/07/20 04:38 PM
We should take their minds off it with some music. Here's a good song by The Police... oh... never mind....
We should take there minds off it with some music. Here's a good song by The Police... oh... never mind....

"Rawking run rah roon."

band

wink grin
If I ever got a chance to go to the moon... I don't think I would take it. so many things to see here on Earth. and going to the moon would take... well, the trip itself would take about three days I think, but the preparation to go there... hmmm... actually... come to think of it.... that wouldn't be so bad...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/07/20 08:35 PM
In one of the early episodes of Futurama they were going to the moon. Frye wanted to do the countdown. The trip took place while he counted down from 10 to 0.
The Futurama episode with Nibbler's birthday included a birthday song with a tune similar to, but slightly different from, "Happy Birthday to You." It went:
What day is today?
It's Nibbler's birthday!
What a day for a birthday!
Let's all have some cake.

Since that episode was made, it has been determined the "Happy Birthday to You" is actually in public domain and no royalties need be paid. This explains why movies and TV shows once commonly showed characters singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow," or a made-up song (such as Nibbler's), or only the closing bars of "Happy Birthday to You."
I remember reading about that, and thinking, if someone DID have the royalties and DID want to enforce it... how? Everyone just sings Happy Birthday in the privacy of their own birthday gatherings.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/08/20 07:00 PM
They'd be able to get their pennies from broadcasting organisations. Every time it was in a jingle or film or TV etc. Every time Monroe sings Happy Birthday Mr President, they make some money. smile
Imagine the profits they would make from children's parties...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/09/20 12:11 AM
Of course Marilyn does not sing much these days
Unless she's joined the heavenly choir...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/09/20 09:23 AM
Funny. I've got this Elvis & Marilyn: Best of the '80s CD around here somewhere...
I'm horrible with trying new music. I have a few favorites that I stick to, over and over and over. Used to drive my ex nuts.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/09/20 02:35 PM
I'm no better, and there's a cut off point where I've not listened to much new music at all.
I'm fairly clueless with popular music. I don't know anything after about 1990.
I tried listening to some new (2018 onwards) playlists recently, but didn't find anything that I liked.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/09/20 05:23 PM
I strayed from my usual station today (it has now reduced it's schedule so that it repeats 3 times a day (thanks a bunch Beeb)) As the others are 24 hour news misery, I found eclectic mix programmes with a variety of funk, electronic, folk and all sorts) I enjoy these snippets rather than listening to dedicated stations.
I don't even listen to the radio anymore, nor do I watch TV.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/09/20 11:19 PM
I used to watch the radio but the picture was lousy.

Did you know that lousy means full of lice?
Ewww.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/10/20 09:20 AM
Uh-oh.

Have bugs killed this thread?
Would Bugs Bunny kill anyone?
No, but when Bugs acts smug I wish someone would kill him.

I actually have a drawing in one of my sketchbooks of Daffy Duck shooting Bugs Bunny dead and saying, "If you want somethin' done right, you gotta do it yer th'elf."

I was in one of my moods that day.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/10/20 11:39 AM
Blue Mood was a song on a Swing Out Sister album I really like.
Swing Out Sister is one of those groups I've heard good stuff about, that I keep intending to listen to, but never get around to it.

Will remedy that later today. Thanks, Thoth.
No, but when Bugs acts smug I wish someone would kill him.

I actually have a drawing in one of my sketchbooks of Daffy Duck shooting Bugs Bunny dead and saying, "If you want somethin' done right, you gotta do it yer th'elf."

I was in one of my moods that day.

I can totally relate. I feel the same about most cartoon characters, like Jerry (from Tom and Jerry), Daffy Duck, Mickey Mouse...

When they have a good, justifiable reason for their antics, it's fine. Examples: When Bugs Bunny is just defending himself from Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam. But when they torment some poor soul for no reason...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/10/20 12:03 PM
1987: It's Better to Travel & 1989: Kaleidoscope World are favs. A band member left during that second one. He went on to work with Frank Zappa.
Huh! Kaleidoscope World is also the title of a song by a Filipino singer.

The opening credits of the late '60s series Family Affair are supposed to represent a kaleidoscope.
My family got together to do a video call for my grandma last weekend.
Video was a minor supporting character in "Jem and the Holograms." She was a filmmaking prodigy.
Videoman was an original charater created for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, and meant to capitalize on the burgeoning popularity of video games in the 80s.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/10/20 09:51 PM
When Wolfman and Perez's Games finally got released, it had a lot of antagonists based on '80s video games. When it was conceived, they were probably more relevant than retro.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/10/20 10:17 PM
The wolfman is one of the classic Universal monsters
Videoman was an original charater created for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, and meant to capitalize on the burgeoning popularity of video games in the 80s.

Did he have Pac-Man Fever?

Was it driving him crazy?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/11/20 01:43 AM
You give me fever (you give me fever) when you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight (you give me fever)
Fever in the mornin'
Fever all through the night
Alas, I don't associate a fever with good things anymore.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/11/20 04:18 PM
Good thing
Where have you gone
My good thing
You've been gone too long (good thing)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/11/20 05:20 PM
They may be fine. They may be young. But I object to the cannibalism.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/11/20 05:47 PM
Jeffrey Dahmer?s mother: I don?t like your neighbors.

Jeffrey Dahmer: well just eat the vegetables
That didn't kill this thread, but it did kill something else...
I loved that "Good Thing" song when I was in junior high. I still think it's pretty good. "She Drives Me Crazy," by the same group (Fine Young Cannibals,) is fun to hear every once in a while.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/11/20 08:48 PM
If memory cell serves, they got a couple of directors in for the She Drives Me Crazy video. They felt the first created a video that was too slow, so they got someone else in for some quicker bits and mixed the two. If it wasn't them, it might have been New Order... or...memory cell failing...
She drives me crazy. Has at times applied to my mother, my ex-girlfriend (yes, I didn't always know I was gay!), and that bossy friend of mine who dominated our MBA class.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/11/20 10:52 PM
My new place of work has someone who simply *has* to be part of *any* conversation or activity going. Nice enough, but as long as it centred completely around him and helped his goals. It slowly drove me crazy and I was happy when the team's diverged.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 01:06 AM
I rule my office. Only because I am the only one in there. Everyone else is working from home.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 05:23 AM
There's hardly anyone in my office, either. Mostly I like this. Except that they left me to reorganize the whole space by myself and almost no one is advising me on whether or not they care for the changes I'm making.

Also, the floor is solid concrete. I get that it's not glitzy enough to merit carpeting but some pads to stand on would be nice. [grumble]
So much for the workplaces of the future. Some investment in comfort and supervision would not only be nice, it's necessary...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 11:09 AM
Cleome, replace everything with exact duplicates.
... and bring the old furniture home!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 04:15 PM
Cleome, replace everything with exact duplicates.

Originally Posted by Invisible Braniac
...and bring the old furniture home!

That's the wild part. There is way too much inventory here for such a sparsely-populated office. More duplicate supplies than anyone will use even if they have 50 years to do so. But of course in the current climate they can't donate it.

Also, they could've brought in somebody at this time last year to do inventory of all this unnecessary stuff, ditched it before they moved, and saved themselves a massive headache and probably some money on the moving fees, too. But whatever. Neither the first or last time that I owe my job "security" to bad decisions made by important people. tongue
lol

In one of my previous jobs, we had this insane quota that I could never fulfill, and yet the supervisors liked me so much they let it slide.

Why am I not still there, you might ask? Well...if you have five seconds decades to spare, I'll tell you the story of my life. Didn't think so. No worries, I don't take it personal.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 04:22 PM
Weird Job Disasters really does merit a thread all its own.
Would be great for commiserating.
In one of the all-time classic Peanuts Sunday strips (1967 vintage,) Charlie Brown is despondent that his baseball team is getting creamed (yet again,) and Schroeder replies with a quote from the Book of Job -- which leads to the entire team gathering at the mound to discuss theology! lol
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 04:31 PM
Once, Charlie Brown called Dial-A-Prayer to get a losing game rained out.
Another time, Charlie Brown traded Snoopy to Peppermint Patty's team in exchange for five equally good players (Snoopy has always been the only good player on Charlie Brown's team.)

Of course, CB was guilt-ridden, and everyone was angry at him for trading his own dog!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 04:41 PM
The cat rescuers at Tiny Kittens in Vancouver, B.C. dubbed one rescue colony The Peanuts. So when they bring kittens in for adoption they name everyone after characters from the strip. So there's a momcat named Frieda right now and she's adorable.
That is sweet.

On Facebook, I follow some rescue groups. Quite heartwarming seeing animals be adopted. Hope it's not a temporary thing, but that the new pet owners actually realize how much work pets can be.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 05:11 PM
Both my former cat (R.I.P. Belinda) and my current cat are rescues.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 06:06 PM
In one of the all-time classic Peanuts Sunday strips (1967 vintage,) Charlie Brown is despondent that his baseball team is getting creamed (yet again,) and Schroeder replies with a quote from the Book of Job -- which leads to the entire team gathering at the mound to discuss theology! lol

The Sermon on the Mound! smile

Both my former cat (R.I.P. Belinda) and my current cat are rescues.

The two currently enjoying the afternoon patio sun here, moved in from other homes, and wouldn't leave. Both started off as rescues.
Sermon on the mound lol

Did it rain fish after?
Cats like fish. FatCramer
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/12/20 10:02 PM
Apparently only on alternate days, and the types of fish change along with the time of day they're edible, and which dish they're in and whether you've hand delivered it to their snooze spot... and ... oh, It's time for me to clean out more dishes of unwanted cat noms...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/13/20 12:03 AM
Cats are inscrutable. Sometimes you can step over them and they do not move. Other times you walk beside where they are and they jump up to get out of the way.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/13/20 01:08 AM
I used to know a guy who said he'd cook fresh-caught salmon for himself and offer a few morsels to the cats. But they'd only eat the fish after they'd consumed all the kibble around it. Their true obsession was cream cheese and they would cry and beg for a bit of it anytime he got the container out of the fridge.
Cats are inscrutable. Sometimes you can step over them and they do not move. Other times you walk beside where they are and they jump up to get out of the way.

My current cat will literally walk in front of you. No matter how many times she gets stepped on, she keeps doing it.
One of my family dogs is more like a cat than a dog. He naps under the bed so nobody can disturb him. Even if you wake him up in the middle of a nap and wave a steak in his face, if he decides he's too sleepy, he'll just stare at you and go back.

He even has a favorite pillow that he snuggles against like a human would with their favorite pillow.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/13/20 06:31 PM
My Lodger cat is more like a puppy. He follows me around all the time. He likes to have his mind put at ease, as he knows it's not Home #1 (mind you, we're on 5 months now).

Swing Out Sister is one of those groups I've heard good stuff about, that I keep intending to listen to, but never get around to it.

There's a Swing Out Sister Golf company in the UK. I thought that was a neat company name.
Our second dog was like that at first, we were Home #2. After about six months or so, she got used to it, and began asserting herself as Queen over our first dog.
My Lodger cat is more like a puppy. He follows me around all the time. He likes to have his mind put at ease, as he knows it's not Home #1 (mind you, we're on 5 months now).

There's a Swing Out Sister Golf company in the UK. I thought that was a neat company name.

That is pretty clever.

BTW, I did listen to some of their songs, and commented on one of them in the Anywhere Machine's So What Are You Listening To thread, but no one replied. frown
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/13/20 09:07 PM
Scoots on over... because It's Better To Travel smile
Traveling is good. I like traveling on my birthday, makes it a bit more special.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/13/20 11:14 PM
My birthday is the day after my aunts and the day before my brothers
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/13/20 11:22 PM
My birthday is the same day as my grandmother and cousin.
One big birthday party!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/14/20 01:27 AM
And Invisible Brainiac will jump out of the cake.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/14/20 03:25 AM
Can't forget the MST3K sketch where TV's Frank baked Rodney the exotic dancer inside the cake. At least no one was hurt, even in an hour at 350 F.

"Just dig, Duncan Hinder!"
Don't try this at home, kids!
Originally Posted by cleome53
Can't forget the MST3K sketch where TV's Frank baked Rodney the exotic dancer inside the cake. At least no one was hurt, even in an hour at 350 F.

"Just dig, Duncan Hinder!"

That was a great one. The one about the giant tube of chocolate toothpaste was hilarious, too! "Frank, don't bogart that toothpaste!"
Here's something that made me laugh very hard recently.

Credits to Mr. Pol Medina Jr., creator of the Pugad Baboy comic strip from the Philippines.

[Linked Image from aws1.discourse-cdn.com]
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/14/20 02:07 PM
My drawing ability is limited to drawing stick figures
I can't even draw a straight line...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/14/20 06:30 PM
I think it's more important to draw a bath.
Or to draw breath.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/14/20 07:22 PM
Drawing curtains is a bit less important than not drawing breath, which would mean curtains for you. But it helps let the day into your life and put your life into the day.
It helps regulate the temperature, that's pretty important for me!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/14/20 11:44 PM
98.6 is the normal body temperature fur a human
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/15/20 04:06 AM
Don't you mean 37 degrees? wink
*gets popcorn*

I was stunned to find that the UK also uses miles and other imperial units for road signs... the Philippines is a bit like the UK, except we often use imperial units for height and weight. I would think of my height in feet and inches, for example. But for distances and driving, we use the metric system.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/15/20 07:00 PM
I am bad at judging distances.
So am I.
Despite our bizarre unwillingness to adopt the metric system, the United States was the first country to adopt a decimal monetary system.
Is that why the system for displaying sales tax is so complex? wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/16/20 01:49 AM
No. It is because the sales tax can vary from state to state. Also one state might tax an object that another does not. Having national distribution of products but varying sales tax, the price tag just shows the price without tax.
Yeah, I know, I've read about it. I was just teasing - I've never encountered that elsewhere, and most of my non-American friends find it odd too.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/16/20 11:29 AM
Things were looking a bit busier when I was out on my morning walk today.
The park here last weekend was horrible. too many people broiling themselves on the grass
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/16/20 12:17 PM
And me without the proper condiments to go with broiled food!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/16/20 02:44 PM
The subway here is still pretty empty when I use it. Not quite as empty as before but you can still sit away from other people.

I am not looking forward to when it gets crowded again.
The Paris metros were pretty bad last summer.

But the ones in Manila are much worse.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/17/20 12:12 AM
I have seen those videos of the trains in India.

No complaints from me about the Red Line
I decided against taking the train in India for that very reason, instead booked domestic flights to get around.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/17/20 11:53 PM
The last flight I was on was my return from Australia. That was a long flight.
And how.

It takes me nearly a day to fly back home too.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/18/20 10:50 AM
My flight to Australia began on Dec. 31 and ended Jan. 1
Happy new year! Mile high new year!!!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/18/20 04:58 PM
I am not a member of the mile high club
Neither am I.

I have done naughty stuff elsewhere though...
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/19/20 12:30 AM
The last flight I was on was my return from Australia. That was a long flight.

I have only done one international flight which was to Europe (well two including the return flight) but the 14 hour flight from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi was looong.

Where did you visit while you were over here, Quis?
I remember taking a horrible budget flight from Manila to Dubai. 8 hours of suffering with little water and space.
The possibility of me ever traveling to Dubai is Du-bai-ous.
I have mixed feelings about some countries with questionable governments and human rights records. On one hand, they offer beautiful sights and amazing experiences. On the other hand, would I really want to enter such environments?
I'd love to see stuff like the remains of Babylon, but I've also come to accept that it's unlikely to be a place that I'd actually feel comfortable going with my lifetime, so...
And there are some places where physical safety is also a concern, so...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/19/20 11:54 PM
On my flight to Australia I got a little nervous when I realized that I would be flying over the Middle East. But then I realized that there are probably hundreds of flights through that area every day so the probability of being shot down was low.

stile86, I flew from Boston to Perth and spent a week there. Then flew to Sydney for a week. Then up to Darwin for 4 days. I liked Perth the best. I went out to Rottnest Island for a day.

If I go again I will probably go back to Perth then to Melbourne and maybe Tasmania.
Alas, I have only been to Sydney and the Gold Coast.

Melbourne and Uluru are my top priorities for my next visit to Australia, whenever that may be. But I also want to see Brisbane, Perth, Tasmania and the Great Barrier Reef...

I've found that my wanderlust has been tempered a bit though. Maybe because I feel at home here in the Netherlands, so I no longer have the burning desire to escape from something.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/20/20 05:56 AM
I'd be excited just to cross the border and see Vancouver, Washington again at this point.
Heh. Before the lockdowns started I'd decided on a weekend trip from Netherlands to Luxembourg frown
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/20/20 04:34 PM
I traveled to Washington by train once.
My man and I would travel by train to meet one another. I live in Amsterdam, he in Rotterdam.

Now that we can both work from home, we just moved in together.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/21/20 12:34 AM
I don?t have the ability to work from home.
Yeah, staying at home just doesn't work for everyone...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/21/20 02:07 PM
I do miss going to the library on the weekend
It's nice having the option to go out. Freedom is important.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/22/20 04:22 PM
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no
The Dutch value individual freedom. Hence the famed Dutch tolerance.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/22/20 10:57 PM
Going Dutch means everyone pays for their own meal.
"Dutchmen are good sailors" is a standard example of a weak generic statement (i.e. one that is asserted as true of a group even though it is not true of most members of the group).
Another is "Gay Filipino men all work in beauty parlors".
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/24/20 12:48 AM
IB, I do need a haircut.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/24/20 01:42 AM
I remarked to my family early on that if these lockdowns continue for long then men's hair fashion is likely to go from the current short-closecropped to either long or shaved bald.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/24/20 01:50 AM
I do not think I look good with a shaved head. I also do not like the look of long hair and when mine gets too long it really bothers me.

As soon as I can I will be getting a short haircut.
I definitely do not look good with a shaved head. It makes my face look all bloated.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/24/20 02:36 PM
My hair is going gray
I have a few gray hairs myself.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/24/20 09:22 PM
Dirk Morgna's v4 hairstyle will be all the rage!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/25/20 12:08 AM
I am enraged. My downstairs neighbor is playing his stereo loudly and the bass is reverberating in my apartment.
Alas. My neighbors had an argument yesterday too, and could also hear the noise...

Hope it stopped with your neighbor, Quis.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/25/20 09:04 AM
I am enraged. My downstairs neighbor is playing his stereo loudly and the bass is reverberating in my apartment.

On the plus side, you have a dancing fish.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/25/20 04:23 PM
I have always wanted Aquaman?s powers because I loved to swim.
I would love that too.

Having a swimmer's body would be a nice perk as well!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/25/20 11:10 PM
If you have enough money you can rent a swimmer?s body
I'd rather morph my body into one... though if I did have enough money, I could buy a house with a pool and hire a nutritionist and chef to prepare all my meals..
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/26/20 10:19 AM
It's my sister Violet! She's the one with the Mercedes, swimming pool, and room for a pony.
I can do without the pony. I'd rather have some cuddly dogs.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/26/20 10:00 PM
Violet doesn?t have a pony, just room for a pony. Meanwhile her husband Bruce...
And what does Bruce have?
His wife's dresses?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/27/20 12:45 AM
There were two Roses
Perhaps she was a Time Lord.
We sure have a lot of time travelers out there.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/27/20 08:55 PM
Every time a hero pings out of existence, because their grandparents were killed before they born, a time trapper earns his cloak.
So we have 22, then.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/27/20 09:52 PM
Which one of us is the one that appears in the comic books? Or is it all of us, which is why the Trapper appears in so many different ways?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/27/20 11:33 PM
One of us! One of us! One of us!
We accept you?
We do!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/28/20 08:35 PM
Crumbs! If we outcasts accept everyone, the people we're outcasts from will become the outcasts!
God save the outcasts.
Just not the Outcasts from the late 80s DC mini-series. Neither Alan Grant nor John Wagner's finest work.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/29/20 12:18 AM
Hitler really like Wagner?s operas
Hitler also liked Nietzsche. Nietzsche and Wagner started out as friends, but later had a break.
That happens all the time in real life. Of course, famous people's friendships get reviewed and dissected quite a bit more...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/29/20 03:33 PM
Hitler also liked Nietzsche. Nietzsche and Wagner started out as friends, but later had a break.

Nietzsche argued that Superman was the best, while Wagner insisted it was Thor.
And a massive slapfight ensued.
Oh, those awful fascist fanboys and their petty pop-culture disagreements.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/29/20 06:16 PM
"Behold! I bring you the Superman", taunted Nietzsche, "in my copy of Action Comics #1."

"Gott und dammerung!" cursed Wagner. "How could you show off your comic collection? You know mine was incinerated in that unfortunate fire in Vallhalla."

Muttering that a new collection would rise in the place of the old, Wagner went off to keep his new comics in safer locations, free of foreshadowed cataclysm, such as New Genesis and Hellboy's Earth.

An avid DC collector, Nietzsche would ensure his former friend was remembered. Readers will note the appearances of Wotan and Firebrand in the first All Star Squadron arc.
Alas, what Wagner failed to realize was that Nietzsche was trying to gift him an extra copy of Action Comics #1...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/29/20 07:54 PM
I recently realized that Adventure 247 could be read as Adventure Twenty-four Seven.
I've thought for awhile that could be a tagline/slogan for the Legion.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/29/20 09:18 PM
24/7 Adventure sounds tiring.
You can sleep in the time bubble.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/30/20 12:14 AM
You can sleep after Keith Giffen writes you.
I sleep better knowing that Giffen will never again write the Legion.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/30/20 01:10 AM
That makes 2 of us.
You can sleep after Keith Giffen writes you.

Permanent sleep?
I have never had my hair permed, which is probably why it's still so healthy even as I approach the big 5-0. Narcissistic, moi? angel
Congratulations!

And here I know people in their 30s whose hair is a disaster!
Thanks, Ibby.

SpiderGirl

I chalk it up to a combination of worldwide pollution and a lowering of standards by companies who make hair-care products.
Could also be stress, and people not taking care of themselves as much!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/31/20 02:24 AM
The musical Hair had nude scenes
The musical Avenue Q had full-frontal puppet nudity!
The original Muppets TV series (1976-1981) is, in my opinion, one of the best comedy shows ever made.

I also really like their first movie, "The Muppet Movie" (1979.)
I loved the Muppet Christmas Carol!
Haven't seen that one, but I generally like Michael Caine. I can definitely see him making a good Ebenezer Scrooge.
Reminds me of Uncle Scrooge. I loved Ducktales.
Ducktales was just a little bit after my time, but as a kid I loved reading reprints of the Carl Barks comic book stories that inspired it.

These days, Barks tends to be labeled a racist, a misogynist, and a reactionary. And while I think there's a grain of truth there (especially his attitudes towards women,) I think "tolerant misanthrope with a sense of humor" would be a fairer summation.

And he was a superb draftsman.
I don't know enough about the Barks background to comment on that... but I also think there's no harm in enjoying his work for what it is. It's not like Barks committed horrible crimes against humanity, after all.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 05/31/20 10:45 PM
It can be difficult for people to separate the work from the person, and there's plenty of discussion on whether this should be the case or not.
To each his/ her own..
It can be difficult for people to separate the work from the person, and there's plenty of discussion on whether this should be the case or not.

I am firmly on the "should" side.

It's ridiculous, in my opinion, to expect creative people to be upstanding citizens.

I recommend reading the writings of one of my heroes, the late art critic Robert Hughes.

And to paraphrase something Ibby said, if they don't harm other people, then they're not causing any real harm.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/01/20 12:48 AM
I don?t think Barks was intentionally racist or misogynistic but more a product of the times in which he wrote. That said any racism or misogyny in the stories needs to be pointed out and discussed.
That's a very good way to approach the study of literature!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/01/20 08:41 PM
Sometimes second guessing the intentions throws you out of the work.
Sometimes it's not good to be trapped in the work :-)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/02/20 01:24 AM
Considering what characters go through, there's not too many books I'd like to be trapped in.
May I recommend a benign,static one? Like the Hundred Acre Wood? Or... the Ducktales universe, Scrooge's mansion!
May I recommend a benign,static one? Like the Hundred Acre Wood?

As long as it's not on a blustery day. And as long as no one gets stuck halfway inside a honey tree.
And as long as we stay away from the heffalumps and woozles.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/02/20 08:59 PM
I heard a sketch last week where the animals conduct an intervention for Pooh on his crazed honey addiction. It cites some of his published adventures as highly endangering acts to get his fix, and his mood swings when he doesn't get the honey. Piglet has become scared of him. At the end, it's the thought that his behaviour has parallels with the deranged Tigger that convinces Pooh to stop.
Another intervention success story!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/03/20 03:48 AM
Oh no! How can we have Pooh without him feeling it was time for a little something? (Actually writing that out and I can totally agree with an intervention order.)

I'm sure Rabbit was very happy with the result!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/03/20 08:21 PM
Oh no! How can we have Pooh without him feeling it was time for a little something? (Actually writing that out and I can totally agree with an intervention order.)

Exactly. smile

It was in John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme, which gets a thothy double thumbs up.

Edit: And it was a deranged Tigger comparisons he gave up honey on account of. I'd left out tigger in my last post, and it must have been keeping people up nights wondering.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/03/20 09:47 PM
Dorothy Parker wrote reviews as Constant Reader. In her review of House at Pooh Corner she wrote ? Tonstant Weader Fwowed up?

Darn it those question marks should be quotation marks.
Why, Dowothy, that's awfuwwy hawsh.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/04/20 02:07 AM
She had a sharp and vicious tongue.

One story has a young woman telling Dorothy that she could not go to Dorothy?s party because she cannot bear fools. Dorothy replies Your mother could.

My favorite Dorothy story involves her running feud with Clare Boothe Luce. Once they both arrived at a restaurant at the same time. Mrs. Luce said Age before beauty. Dorothy replies And pearls before swine and walked in to the restaurant.
I think in this case the sharp and vicious tongue was justified.

I can have one myself but I try to deploy it only when the situation warrants it smile
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love Dorothy Parker. I was just saying that her criticism of House of Pooh Corner was a bit much.
There is a very fine line between good criticism and too-harsh criticism.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/04/20 03:41 PM
I think in this case the sharp and vicious tongue was justified.

I can have one myself but I try to deploy it only when the situation warrants it smile

"Press the button for tongue deployment!" sounds wrong.
"Push the button, Frank."

(Pop culture reference that the only Legion Worlder likely to understand is Cleome.)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/04/20 10:26 PM
Goah! if we were to wait for Cleome to confirm, there's a chance the thread would be dedded.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/05/20 01:28 AM

(Pop culture reference that the only Legion Worlder likely to understand is Cleome.)

Nope. I understand it. It happens at Gizmonic Institute.
I don't, but I googled it smile

Nope. I understand it. It happens at Gizmonic Institute.

Have you ever posted in this thread, Quis?

https://legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=892337#Post892337

If not, isn't it high time you did? wink grin
Go, Quis, go!
I just occurred to me that in my 15 years at Legion World, I''ve always pronounced "Quis" as "Quiz." I never (even in the two times I met him in person) asked how he pronounced it.
That's how I pronounce it as well.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/05/20 08:20 PM
That is how I hear it.
Quis, oh Quis
What a pleasure it is
To play Spaceopoly games with you
And when I say that I, too
Like Quislet the Legionnaire
It's true, it's true, it's true
Even though fans of his are all too rare
That makes us special, so there
Completely agree! smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/06/20 10:04 AM
Quis, oh Quis
What a pleasure it is
To play Spaceopoly games with you
And when I say that I, too
Like Quislet the Legionnaire
It's true, it's true, it's true
Even though fans of his are all too rare
That makes us special, so there

This gives me joy.

You are very talented Ann
It is quite a good talent to have, writing lyrics.
Thanks, guys! hug hug

Ironically, when it comes to playing any musical instrument, even relatively easy ones like the guitar or the keyboard, I'm all thumbs. lol
Yeah, with musical instruments, one needs both musical talent AND physical dexterity! It's tough!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/06/20 07:56 PM
Encouragement, good teaching material/persons and psoitive learning environment also help.
Alas, I had none of those.

Music class in high school? The final exam was drawing a keyboard on a piece of paper and labeling each key. Never actually got to touch a musical instrument.
I never had the discipline to do well with an instrument. Eventually, I was told "just sing in the choir." That was in my teens. I've pretty much been doing it ever since.
One's voice is also an instrument!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/06/20 11:03 PM
In Black Bolt's case, an instrument... of destruction!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/06/20 11:14 PM
Black Bolt - a man of few words.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/06/20 11:24 PM
The strong, silent type.
A very deep man.
Not I. I'm a tenor.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/07/20 01:44 AM
If you have a tenner, mine's a pint.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/07/20 02:48 AM
I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Never have. No desire to do so.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/07/20 08:05 AM
I'll drink to that! A nice cup of tea.
I like my alcohol too much. It makes me feel happier smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/07/20 09:07 PM
My wine and beer racks and dwinks cupboard loses out to my kettle to supply beverages of choice.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/08/20 01:34 AM
I don?t like tea either. I will have a coffee once in a blue moon.
Tea isn't my favorite either, but sometimes it's nicely calming.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/08/20 04:18 PM
Bugs: do you want one lump or two with your tea?

Pete Puma: Give me 3 or 4 lumps
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/08/20 06:12 PM
Cue getting thumped 3 or 4 times.
"This means war!"
There's a street in Houston called Waugh Drive. Whenever I pass it, I say "Of course you know, this means Waugh!"
The Dutch G is one of the hardest sounds to master. It sort of sounds like you're gargling.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/08/20 08:56 PM
There's a street in Houston called Waugh Drive. Whenever I pass it, I say "Of course you know, this means Waugh!"

smile

The Dutch G is one of the hardest sounds to master. It sort of sounds like you're gargling.

A lot of our press were happy to mock a national football manager because he'd quickly picked up a Dutch accent, when coaching there.
Gee, guess he coughed enough during guest appearances!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/08/20 11:31 PM

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/09/20 01:19 AM
Going Dutch in Stockholm
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/09/20 01:57 AM
Stockholm Syndrome is when a captive starts to identify with their captors.
Munchausen's syndrome is a psychological disorder where someone pretends to be ill or deliberately produces symptoms of illness in themselves.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

The Swedish Chef from the Muppets! Great stuff!

Jim Henson himself was the voice of the Swedish Chef. He was also Kermit, Rowlf, Waldorf, and Dr. Teeth.
Pretty talented!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/09/20 08:00 PM
I still remember the screams of the kid readers, when Frank Miller turned Dr Teeth into a post modern villain who extracted the molars of his victims with pliers. "It's an ironic statement about healthcare," he said over the howling.
A man goes to China. He's hungry. But he doesn't speak Chinese.

He goes up to a Chinese man, points to his own open mouth.

The Chinese man directs him toward a nearby establishment.

He ends up getting his molar pulled -- without anesthesia.

"You can't handle the tooth!" he screams at the dentist in a bad Jack Nicholson voice.

The dentist calls in some thugs and the man is beaten to death.

The End
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/09/20 10:05 PM
A certain old woman, out of excessive curiosity, fell out of a window, plummeted to the ground, and was smashed to pieces.

Another old woman leaned out of the window and began looking at the remains of the first one, but she also, out of excessive curiosity, fell out of the window, plummeted to the ground and was smashed to pieces.

Then a third old woman plummeted from the window, then a fourth, then a fifth.

By the time a sixth old woman had plummeted down, I was fed up watching them, and went off to Mal'tsevisky Market where, it was said, a knitted shawl had been given to a certain blind man.

Well, that's morbid. And here I am watching the ducks across my window.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/09/20 10:08 PM
Before I forget
Stockholm Syndrome is when a captive starts to identify with their captors.

Stockhausen Syndrome is when a person starts to insert electronic sounds into other musical genres.

Well, that's morbid. And here I am watching the ducks across my window.

Was that mine or Fickles'?
Both smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/09/20 11:05 PM
One day Orlov stuffed himself with mashed peas and died. And Krylov, on finding out about this, also died. And Spiridonov died of his own accord. And Spiridonov's wife fell off the sideboard and also died. And Spiridonov's children drowned in the pond. And Spiridonov's grandmother hit the bottle and took to the road. And Mikhailovich stopped combing his hair and went down with mange. And Kruglov sketched a woman with a whip in her hands and went out of his mind. And Perekhrestov received four hundred roubles by wire and put on such airs that he got chucked out of work.
They are good people all -- but they can't keep their feet firmly on the ground.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/10/20 12:00 AM
A baby was born and did not cry at all. As he got older he did not say a word. His parents took him to doctors and specialists but no one could find anything wrong. When he was 10 they were eating dinner and he said ?The peas are cold.?

Everyone was astonished. His mother says ?If you could talk all this time, why didn?t you say something?? He replied ?Everything was good until now!?
"I could talk talk talk talk talk myself to death
But I fear I would only waste my breath."

- Roxy Music, "Re-Make/Re-Model"
Roxy was also the name of that artificial intelligence who sort-of joined the JSA All-Stars splinter team led by Power Girl.
And Roxy is also one of the characters from Jem and the Holograms.
Oh, I loved Jem and the Holograms!
Yay!

Jem was truly outrageous!

The first couple of years of the mid-2010s comic book revival were great, too.
I should check those out!

Jem is my naaaaaame!

I really loved the cartoon series!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/10/20 04:14 PM
Know who thought Jem was outrageous? Brave & Bold animated Aquaman.
In a good way, I hope.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/10/20 09:09 PM
I'd have thought he was more likely to have met J'emm. J'Emm and the Mentally Induced Hallucinations has a nice (Saturn) ring to it.
Martian Manhunter kicked Jemm out. Only one telepathic alien from the Solar System allowed.

Saturn Girl got kicked out too, poor thing. she was so used to panel-hogging...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/11/20 01:56 AM
Saturn Girl does not care what you think
She kinda does, which is why she's misusing her telepathy on me!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/11/20 10:48 AM
Saturn Girl is highly principled and would never misuse her powers.
Apparition and the other Legion Lost members vehemently disagree!
Legion Lost Volume 1 is my favorite multi-part Legion story-arc.
It's really a good one! I still remember how compelled and interested I was by it. It really sucked me in again, after a bit of losing interest in the late Reboot just before DNA took over.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/11/20 05:36 PM
I thought it was going to be like the team stuck between Orando and Earth at the start of the Baxter run. So I skipped it. I wasn't taken by DnAs Legion #1 either so I skipped all of that too.
The first time I saw "Orando" in a Legion comic, I misread it and thought Jeckie was saying she was Princess of Orlando.
I misread it once too!

Also misread Kinetix's homeworld of Aleph, as "Aelph".
I thought it was going to be like the team stuck between Orando and Earth at the start of the Baxter run. So I skipped it. I wasn't taken by DnAs Legion #1 either so I skipped all of that too.

What were your initial impressions of Legion of the Damned and Widening Rifts? I would imagine they must not have been favorable, either, if you really thought DnA would do something as awful as the early Baxter issues.

The first time I saw "Orando" in a Legion comic, I misread it and thought Jeckie was saying she was Princess of Orlando.

It always makes me think of "orange," like in orange soda. Coke vs Pepsi, Orando vs Orangina.
Vyrga makes me think of "virgin". Like, "virgin forests".
I misread it once too!

Also misread Kinetix's homeworld of Aleph, as "Aelph".

Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
Was Zoe's homeworld actually misprinted as "Aelph" once? I seem to have a vague memory of that, but maybe I'm making this up as a way of explaining Ibby's error!
You're so kind, EDE smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/12/20 12:16 AM
I have always relied on the kindness of strangers
I have always relied on the kindness of strangers

I desire more references to Tennessee Williams plays.
It's the appropriate month to listen to this song, originally feature on Spock's Beard's The Kindness of Strangers album.

Now that I'm working from home, and not on video calls, it's no-shave forever.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/12/20 03:17 PM
When you have a goatee you still have to shave.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/12/20 03:26 PM
If you have a goat, then shaving should be risk assessed.
Breaking! Breaking! Goat kicks tiny alien ship into building!
"I love the sound of breaking glass"

- Nick Lowe
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/12/20 10:30 PM
?Don?t believe everything you see on the internet!?

- Abraham Lincoln
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/12/20 10:47 PM
"Won't you pick the pieces up
'Cause it feels just like I'm walking on broken glass
Thanks a bunch Nick Lowe"

- Annie Lennox
"Won't you pick the pieces up
'Cause it feels just like I'm walking on broken glass
Thanks a bunch Nick Lowe"

- Annie Lennox

Nick was too busy counting his royalties from the "Bodyguard" soundtrack (which, for those not in the know, had a terrible cover version of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding?")
Niek is the Dutch version of Nick
I love to eat Dutch Apple Pie.

These days, I can only do it once in a while...but I tell myself that makes it taste even better, because it's a special treat.
Dutch desserts are interesting. Dutch main dishes are usually so bland, but the desserts are so sweet!
I don't know that I have ever had Dutch food. We used to have a really good Belgian restaurant, but it was more with the French/Walloon influence than the Dutch/Flemish.
Even many Dutch people will admit, the Dutch aren't exactly known for their cuisine.
Well, they've still got windmills and wooden shoes!
Windmills remind me of Don Quixote
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/13/20 04:10 PM
Sancho Panza from Man of La Mancha

When I first got home my wife Teresa beat me,
But the blows fell very lightly on my back.
She kept missing ev'ry other stroke
And crying from the heart
That while I was gone
She'd gone and lost the knack!
Of course, I hit her back, Your Grace,
but she's a lot harder than I am,
and you know what they say...
"Whether the stone hits the pitcher
or the pitcher hits the stone
it's going to be bad for the pitcher"
So I've got bruises from here to...
Sancho was a recruitable character in the Suikoden I Japanese Playstation RPG. Sancho was the squire of Maximillian, who was a very Don Quixote-like character.
"What's your name?"

"Sancho."

"Gesundheit."

"What's your name?"

"Quixote."

"Ricola?"
That made me think of Ricotta and Rucola. Salad time!... or maybe not.
One of my favorite Monty Python sketches is "Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days," where a stereotypical upper-class British family tennis game turns into a bloodbath.
I can see that happening. Many of the upper-class brats that I knew back in high school and college were spoiled rotten.
When people say our dogs are spoiled I tell them they've always smelled that way.
Doggie smell! My mom loves our dogs' smell.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/13/20 08:36 PM
Nothing like the smell of cat fur after they've come back in from outside, where they've been sitting in trees and bushes waiting for boids. They come in carrying their cute little sniper rifles with them. So sweet.
Our smallest pup is always being licked and groomed by her bigger sister (well, they're technically twins, but the big one is like three times the size). So, the small one often smells like sloppy dog spit.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/13/20 09:04 PM
If there's a sachet opening he'll be there!
If there's the hint of an opportunity to be the centre of attention, he'll appear!
If he can do this while dominating other cat's and territory, his job is done!
Impervious to criticism! Able to walk through any cat hissing!
Yes! It's Lodger Cat!

I do feel for him. He's a rescue cat, but has a good home, where his sister lives (also a fraction of his size). He's desperate not to let anything pass him by, in case it affects his place. In contrast, Leia cat has Super Grumpy as a power and does what she likes. Lodger Cat (teddy) is really a bit insecure.
of our dogs, one acts like Super Grumpy Leia Cat. He usually hides under the bed or in a corner when he wants a nap, and you can literally wave a steak in his face and he'll just look at you and go back to sleep.

He also nips at the others whenever they're being noisy or whenever they annoy him.

Except his mother, even he can't handle her. She's the only one grumpier than him.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/13/20 10:32 PM
When I first got her Alice would defend herself if felt threatened. But now she does not get that way with me. She also loves to have her face rubbed.
My favorite character from the TV sitcom "Alice" was Jolene.
I didn't like Disney's Alice in Wonderland. I prefer the uplifting, heroic-journey, musical numbers and (actual) funny characters of Little Mermaid, Mulan, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Tarzan...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/14/20 03:38 PM
I have not seen any of those
I grew up with them smile But now that I'm older, I usually only watch Disney movies when I have a long flight.

Guess it will be a while before I catch up on the ones I've missed recently...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/14/20 07:23 PM
Have you seen the short In a Heartbeat? It came out about 2 years ago. People say that it reminds them of Disney Pixar cartoons.
I've seen trailers. It's so cute smile
I watched Knives Out tonight. It's pretty good.
Reminds me, I have to re-arrange my kitchen knives...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/15/20 03:13 PM
That doesn't sound at all sinister.
"Dear Abby,
Today I'm feeling stabby.
What can I do about it,
So that I'm merely crabby?"
Stabbing a stuffed animal should help!

Or smacking a pinata around.
Stuffed animals are too cute to harm.

I'll take the pinata option.
That's true, stuffed animals deserve better...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/15/20 09:28 PM
I remember when it seemed that Cheeks the Toy Wonder became a mad zombie and attacked the stuffed animals in the store. Oh, the horror!
Oh, the animal-try.
and humanity too, Cheeks dismantled that Ken doll real good.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/16/20 01:07 AM
The boat in the Disneyworld Jungle ride collide with something really big. Oh the huge manatee!
Huge manatee got an ouchie!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/16/20 11:12 AM
No actual manatees were hurt in the creation of that pun. The same cannot be said for those who heard it.
I wasn't hurt. Well, maybe except my funny bone.
It's sometimes said that manatees are the source of mermaid legends.

That's how they got their name: Man, a tease.
Those poor desperate sailors.
The British folk song "A Maid That's Deep in Love" is about a woman who disguises herself as a cabin boy in order to sail to America, and the confusion of the captain who finds himself lusting after her unaware of her true identity.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/16/20 05:10 PM
If the captain had been bi there would not have been a problem
Some people cheekily claim that Shang from Disney's Mulan is bi, as he seemed to have started getting feelings for Mulan when she was disguised as a man.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/16/20 06:06 PM
It's such a commonly used story, it was even used in the comedy Blackadder, where he falls for "Bob, his clearly female servant.

Just last week I heard an episode of Cadfael that also used it.

Clearly, any woman dressed as a man was doomed to be a victim of a romantic subplot.
Men dressed as women, too. (remembers White Chicks).
Also, Some Like it Hot.
I wonder how many cross-dressers got their first funny feelings from those movies..
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/16/20 08:42 PM
I was reminded of the reveal of Roger Taylor as a schoolgirl in Queen's I want to break free video. I had to search for which one of them it was. So I've just learned that MTV banned it because of the crossdressing. The song was' 84 and the ban lasted until '91. That's a lot of years it was run without a brain cell.
Wow! With all the stuff on MTV, I can't believe *that* earned a ban!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/16/20 09:10 PM
I wonder if the ban extended to MTV Europe.
I've been so much happier since moving to Europe. Sure, there are still people with bigoted views here, but the proportion I encounter is much fewer than when I was still back in the Philippines.
Well, I've never been to Spain, but I kind of like the music.
That's probably a pop culture reference that I don't know? smile

But Spain is indeed amazing. smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/17/20 03:35 PM
Living in Barcelona was indeed amazing wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/18/20 12:37 AM
Yeah, uh! Get up, now!
Ow! Knock out this!

Super highways, coast to coast
Easy to get anywhere
On the transcontinental overload
Just slide behind the wheel
How does it feel

When there's no destination that's too far
And somewhere on the way
You might find out who you are

Living in America
Eye to eye, station to station
Living in America
Hand to hand, across the nation
Living in America
Got to have a celebration
Rock my soul

Smokestack, fatback
Many miles of railroad track
All night radio, keep on runnin' through
Your rock 'n' roll soul
All night diners keep you awake, hey
On black coffee and a hard roll

You might have to walk the fine line
You might take the hard line
But everybody's working overtime

Living in America
Eye to eye, station to station
Living in America
Hand to hand, across the nation
Living in America
Got to have a celebration

I live in America, help me out
But I live in America
Wait a minute

You might not be looking for the promised land
But you might find it anyway
Under one of those old familiar names
Like New Orleans (New Orleans)
Detroit City (Detroit City), Dallas (Dallas)
Pittsburgh P.A. (Pittsburgh P.A.)
New York City (New York City)
Kansas City (Kansas City)
Atlanta (Atlanta)
Chicago and L.A.

Living in America - hit me
Living in America - yeah
I walk in and out
Living in America

I live in America - state lines
Gonna make the prime, that
I live in America - hey
I know what it means, I

Living in America
Eddie Murphy, eat your heart out
Living in America
Hit me, I said now
Eye to eye, Station to station
Living in America
So nice, with your bad self
Living in America - I feel good!
James Brown's "Living In America" was written and produced by Dan "Instant Replay" Hartman.
Once again I find myself coming across a song that I heard in my childhood; it's tantalizingly familiar but I never learned the song name or the singer.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/18/20 05:38 PM
No luck with Shazam?
I yelled SHAZAM earlier today, and instead of being struck by lightning I was struck by strange looks.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/18/20 08:57 PM
Not Strange Looks! That insidious villain power that causes a hero to feel self conscious in their spandex! That's what led to that hero trend of wearing Jackets. Animal Man, The Avengers, Starman...
And also why some heroes stopped wearing spandex completely!
And also why some heroes stopped wearing spandex completely!

I thought James Robinson and his version Starman were to blame for that.
Wonder Woman set that precedent, though.
Ah, yes, the Mike Deodato Wonder Woman era. "Over-the-top" doesn't begin to describe it. lol
'Let's not talk about the top she wore then lol
Let's talk about Aquaman's beard instead. smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/18/20 10:30 PM
I heard that Aquaman's beard now stored Alan Moore's beard.
That makes sense. Now that he's retired, Moore doesn't have anything to do these days other than keep adding to his beard.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/19/20 01:11 AM
A beard is the term for the wife of a gay man who married her to hide his homosexuality
Although now, lots of gay men I know maintain real beards. Glorious facial hair!
Mary Beard is Britain's best known classicist. I'm sure she writes about a lot of gay men.
Cecil Beard wrote all the classic "Fox & Crow" comic book stories.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/20/20 01:29 AM
There is an Aesop?s fable in which a fox tricks a crow to give him some cheese because he flattered the crow.
There was an Archie comics story where Archie learns to use insincere flattery to get out of trouble around school.

The staff (Mr. Weatherbree, Ms. Grundy) taught him a lesson about it, by engineering things so... I'm trying to remember. It was either Veronica overhearing Archie flatter Betty, or Moose overhearing Archie flatter Midge.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/20/20 12:04 PM
If Archie worked on losing the insincere tone and did to everyone, then they might all think he's a nice guy. Anyone who is jealous from overhearing something, is insecure as well as an eavesdropper.
Archie comics characters don't always make good role models wink
Archie comics characters don't always make good role models wink

Take a bow, Veronica Lodge!
Reggie Mantle too!
Reggie Mantle too!

Reggie Mantle and Alexander Cabot are essentially the same character, although Alexander gets his comeuppance more often.
Then there?s Jason Blossom...
Next you'll be suggesting we shouldn't model our dietary habits on Jughead!
But how can that even be in dispute? Jughead is THE one sole good role model in the Archie world!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/21/20 01:58 PM
Other than the Aqua family, I wonder how many other comic characters like fish.
I'm sure many comic book characters love a good fish dinner!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/21/20 04:46 PM
I'd have thought they were wary of it. The last thing you want is Arthur Curry glaring at you over the JLA meeting table because you killed and ate his best friend.
Now we come to understand the real reason for the bitter rivalry between Aquaman and his arch-enemy, the Fisherman!
It's also why Aquaman initially didn't want to let Hawkman into the JLA!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/22/20 01:05 AM
I have the DC Archive for the golden age Hawkman. One of the stories has the pages out of order.
That's super-annoying. The GA Hawkman stories were generally pretty good, as I recall.
Ah, for those simpler times when origins were unchanging, backstories were set...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/22/20 09:30 AM
I remember reading the stories before they made Doctor Fate a more mystical hero.
I remember Legionnaires still arguing about missions being too dangerous for girls!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/22/20 09:29 PM
That turned out to be a programming glitch in the Legionnaire robots Supergirl was creating, so she could perfect a Brainiac 5 model.
She certainly didn't notice any differences between robotic Brainy and real Brainy...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/23/20 03:01 PM
Technically there is no real Brainy as they are all fictional characters
OMG then who has been chatting me up online?!?!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/23/20 07:25 PM
If they were fictional, why would the newsheets of their adventures appear through timewarps to us, with the occasional five year gap?
In what medium did they appear in?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/23/20 10:27 PM
I'm sure it's a Timewarp that brings them. I don't think a medium is needed to narrate them.
Checks cupboard of Legion comics... discovers a medium sitting reading timewarped comics... closes door...confussled?.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/23/20 10:28 PM
Madame Zika is the happy medium. She has a shop on Shooter Street
Now I am thinking of Jim Shooter!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/24/20 04:13 PM
I did use the convention of naming the street after a creator.
Clever.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/24/20 10:18 PM
You are just saying that
Technically he was just typing that.
In France, the keyboards are slightly different. Among other things, the Q and A are transposed. I remember being in an internet cafe and typing an email to a friend about what a great time I was having in Pqris.
I had to work with the French keyboard for a couple of months. The S is also different from its English-keyboard position. S and A are both very common in English and in French, so you can imagine my difficulties.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/25/20 07:21 PM
I learned touch typing in high school. By mostly type with my index and middle fingers.
I still do hunt and peck. Though I've gotten quite fast at it.
I learned touch typing in high school as well. Everyone in the class was amazed at how fast I was at it, but the reason was that I'd been hunting and pecking for years, and instinctively already knew where the letters were.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/26/20 10:13 PM
Yes. Knowing where the letters are is key.
I have a skeleton key on my keyring that I have had since 1992. It doesn't open anything.
Skeleton key always made me think. Why skeleton? I've seen at least one cartoon that made fun of it, by having a skeleton use its finger as a key.

Apparently, skeleton key comes from the fact that the key has been serrated to its "'essential parts" to make it fit pretty much any lock.
This one used to open the bedroom door of the big house I shared with six others in Boston in the early '90s. The house was built around 1897. The lock finally gave out and was replaced when I lived there. I kept the old key.
Wow! Very cool, Rocky! A 223-year-old skeleton key!
I don't know that it was necessarily original to the house. I do miss that about Boston. In Houston, there are very few buildings that date back before World War II.
Rotterdam is similar, the city was heavily bombed in World War II so old buildings are rare. A far cry from Amsterdam.
I don't know that it was necessarily original to the house. I do miss that about Boston. In Houston, there are very few buildings that date back before World War II.

I hear you. That's exactly how I feel about Philadelphia, where I'm originally from, as compared to Miami, which I live in the vicinity of. They just don't build them like they used to.
Our house is considered a relatively old house by Houston standards. It's as old as the Legion. It was built in 1958.
If your house number was 247, that would be super-cool!
Alas, it's 3802.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/28/20 01:17 AM
Adventure 247 has a second meaning nowadays. Adventure 24 hours 7 days a week.
I thought of that too, how 247 is like 24/7. Now many businesses, takeout places, etc. remind me of the Legion!
I don't think I heard the expression 24/7 till I was in my early 20s, which was in the early '90s.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/29/20 12:46 AM
I am older than you. I will always be older than you. Until I die. Then you have a chance to catch up and pass me. But I won?t care because I will be dead.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/29/20 01:31 AM
But are you older than me? Do you care? Do I care?
To age or not to age...
That actually works as an alternative to Hamlet's question.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 06/30/20 01:42 AM
You're older than you've ever been.
And now you're even older.
You're older than you've ever been.
And now you're older still.
Time! Is marching on.
And time, is still marching on.
This day will soon be at an end and now it's even sooner.
And now it's even sooner.
This day will soon be at an end and now it's even sooner.
And now it's sooner still. ?
Embrace our age!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/01/20 01:04 AM
I would rather embrace Chris Evans
I'll take that option also.
The muscly, charming guys always get all the embraces!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/01/20 04:28 PM
But if you embraced him, he would be embracing you.
Embrace me,
My sweet embraceable you.
Embrace me,
You irreplaceable you.
Just one look at you, my heart grew tipsy in me.
You and you alone bring out the gypsy in me.
I love all
The many charms about you,
Above all,
I want my arms about you.
Don't be a naughty baby,
Come to papa, come to papa, do!
My sweet embraceable you.
I remember going to a friend's house party last December. All the guests were gay men, most were single, and at one point I was surrounded by six men who were complimenting my behind at the same time...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/02/20 01:43 AM
There was a full moon at that party
It certainly seemed to have changed some people into wolves!
Fighting over a young, tender piece of meat.
At least they all had good taste.
You're sweet smile Thank you.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/03/20 01:53 AM
When I was a kid and it was lightly raining and we had to go out into it, my mother would say ?You are not made of sugar. You won?t melt.?
Sounds like a very motherly thing to say indeed. Many moms I know say a variation of that.
It crushes many a child's dreams of growing up to be a wicked witch!
Speaking of childhood dreams, I wonder how many kids had nightmares about a rhino eating their parents after reading James and the Giant Peach.
The Dutch word for "Rhinoceros" is one of the first ones I learned.
That's super-important because of all the rhinoceroses in the Netherlands!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/03/20 11:16 PM
Lucky I sent IB a keep rhinoceroses away charm
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/04/20 12:37 AM
I wonder if the charm is working. How many rhinoceroses has he seen lately?
There's the famous story of the little Dutch rhinoceros who stuck his horn in the dam to keep it from leaking!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/04/20 02:23 AM
I like rhinos because they are so horny!
Our Japanese tour guide said that at the deer temple in Nara. "They have to shorten the horns of the deer so they won't get horny..."
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/04/20 08:00 PM
A friend of mine has an apartment oppose the Boston Common and hears the various tour guides make the same joke about the Frog Pond there.

The tour guide will ask ?How deep is the Frog Pond??
Answer: ?knee deep. knee deep.?

It does work better verbally
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/04/20 08:03 PM
Rhino + Frog = Horny Toad
The constellation Monoceros represents a unicorn. The rhinoceros, coincidentally, may have been one of the sources of unicorn legends.
Julius Caesar described an encounter with a unicorn in his Gallic Wars.
The Hebrew word "re'em" is translated as "unicorn" in some versions of the Bible, though it is probably better translated as "aurochs" or "wild ox."
Well, Wild OX is more realistic than unicorn...
To be fair, unicorns were held to be real until relatively recently.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/05/20 05:28 PM
The Coelacanth was believed to have been extinct for 65 million years. But specimens were found off the coast of Africa in 1938
The Pokemon Relicanth is based on the Coelacanth.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/05/20 10:23 PM
Pok?mon stands for Pocket Monster. So cute little Pikachu is really a monster.
Pokemon is one of those things I don't know much about.
But you do know much about history, biology, your science book, and the French you took?
Actually, yes.
I know a lot about the Legion!

Oh wait... We all do...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/06/20 10:29 AM
What a wonderful world that would be.
I'm feeling nostalgic. Back issue time!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/06/20 09:15 PM
Twomorrows also has Alter Ego and other books and mags, as well as Back Issue.
Back to the future, by reading the past!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/08/20 01:16 AM
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
The 13 members of the Legion of Doom were Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizarro, Toyman, Riddler, Scarecrow, Cheetah, Giganta, Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, Sinestro, Solomon Grundy, and Black Manta.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/08/20 03:33 AM
Giganta was SEXY! love
In the comics, Giganta was a gorilla who was mutated into a woman. Super Friends gave her a different origin and power set.
Originally Posted by Paladin
Giganta was SEXY! love

I totally agree, and I'm a gay man!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XVIII - Road to 30 - 07/08/20 10:16 PM
As a gay man I find Chris Hemsworth sexy
I think Chris Hemsworth just won the game for Quis. I quite agree. smile
Chris made us all speechless!
© Legion World