Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XXIX

The following rules were established by Kent Shakespeare at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
XXI - thoth lad
XXII - Ann Hebistand
XXIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXV - Invisible Brainiac
XXVI - Quislet, Esq.
XXVII - thoth lad
XXVIII - Quislet, Esq.
I don?t think I win enough of these. Maybe if we had a 1 hour limit. But that would still give others a chance. Ok it is now a 1 second limit.
Eye've got my I on the prize! EmeraldEmpress
If Tawky Tawny became an Emerald Emperor, he would have the Emerald Eye of the Tiger!
Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" would be a great song for the Misheard Song Lyrics thread! The lead singer sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.

EDIT:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=989509#Post989509
The Rocky movies were an important part of my childhood!
Rocky (as in Rockhopper Lad) is an important part of Legion World!
He was pretty important to fictional Lardy there for a while, too! love
That was sweet smile
Rocky and Lardy are two of the sweetest people I've ever had the pleasure to befriend.
I completely agree!
Aww!

I loved the Lardy/Rocky relationship.

It's been a while since I've done anything with the Rockhopper Lad character. I don't guess there's a lot of LMB stories written any more. The last major development in Rocky's life was his relationship with the Durlan ambassador, Jorj Zeddle. I expect they are now married and happily living at the Rookery.
This thread is getting sickenly sweet
A tall glass of milk helps make the sweetness more palatable.
A spoonful of bromide helps the pulse rate go down.
I wonder: Do pulsars actually pulsate?
When I was in college in Florida, one of the local stations called their newscast PulsePlus.
The Pulse was Bendis's more-or-less all-ages follow-up to Alias, featuring Jessica Jones. Alias was far superior.
As a kid one of my favorite tv shows was Alias Smith and Jones.
Pulsars don't really pulse or pulsate. They are ferociously spinning neutron stars pouring enormous amounts of electromagnetic energy out of their magnetic poles like spotlights. As the star rotates those "beams" regularly point in different directions so every time the beam points at Earth we see a "pulse" but the beam itself is continuous. Knocks down a dreamy notion but increases fascinating wonder, for me at least.
But when they die, do they go to a Pulsar Star Grave?
They shop at Puls R Us, I hear.
When I was a kid in Massachusetts, before Toys R Us entered the market, the main toy store chain was Child World.
I remember toy stores being everywhere when I was a kid! In malls, in department stores...just everywhere! Now, it seems they are just in Wal-Mart and Target.
When I was a child in Quito, Ecuador in the late 1970s, the biggest toy store around was called "Bebelandia" (rough translation: "Babyland" or "Childland" or "Kidland") It's mascot was a very cute little yellow giraffe.
Toys R Us also had a giraffe mascot!
The Toys R Us giraffe mascot was named Geoffrey. His wife was Gigi and they had two children: Baby Gee and Geoffrey, Jr.
Hmmm...I wonder which giraffe mascot predated the other? hmmm
A giraffe?s tongue is about 18-20 inches long and its color is blue, purple, or black.
The giraffe's nearest relative is the okapi, which was unseen by Europeans until 1901.
Reverse Giraffe appeared on the episode "Total Rickall" of Rick & Morty. He is "reverse" because he has a long body and a short neck, but he really doesn't look all that different from a regular giraffe. This is one of the best R&M episodes, imo, if you ever want to sample the show!
Thanks for the recommendation!

The latest cartoon that I tried "for new" was Steven Universe. I liked the episodes I saw, but I didn't have the energy to get into such a new long-runner.
If IB hates long runners, he will not like 5 seasons of Rick & Morty.

Might I suggest ?In the Flesh?. A post zombie apocalypse show. The first season is only 3 episodes and the second is only 6.
Also why I didn't dive into The Simpsons, despite liking the show!

Thanks for the reco Quis, will check it out.
My husband loves The Simpsons. There are a lot of old movie references he only knew from them being spoofed on The Simpsons.
Many old movies, I only really know by name.
There are some pop culture references where I know the context and what movie it is from, but have never seen the movie.
Ditto for me. Growing up in the Philippines was a mixed bag, I grew up with USA media so most of my pop culture references were from there. Many Filipino pop culture references flew over my head.
I would not want to fly in a plane right now.
I'd really like to fly with a flight ring, however.
I would like to fly even without one smile When I was a kid I often had dreams of flying. Wish I had them more.
It's been a long time since I've had a flying dream as well.

Some people worry about falling if they were to fly, but my bigger fear has always been uncontrollably rising until I left the atmosphere.
Pink Floyd and Tom Petty each had different songs, both entitled "Learning to Fly".
Spread your wings...
Originally Posted by Paladin
Pink Floyd and Tom Petty each had different songs, both entitled "Learning to Fly".

Strangely enough, a couple hours ago I was listening to "One Slip," a Pink Floyd song from "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" -- the same album which has "Learning to Fly!"
My local classic rock station plays TONS of Pink Floyd. I once joked with my sons that I can't make a round trip from home to work to home without hearing at least one Floyd song. It's not really an exaggeration.

Oddly enough, I've only ever heard two Beatles songs on the station: "Come Together" and "Revolution". I'm pretty sure those are the only two the station has the rights to.
My name is John. My husband is George. Our dogs are Paul and Ringo. We're not big Beatles fans, but we had to do it.
A friend has a theory that any foursome can be mapped to the Beatles. There is always a John, a Paul, and a Ringo. The fourth is George by default.
How would it work with the founding Legionnaires plus Superboy?
Superboy is the leader so he is Paul. Saturn Girl is the deep thinker so she is John. Lightning Lad is the goofy fun one so he is Ringo. That makes Cosmic Boy George by default.
I don't know enough about the Beatles to guess. But when I was younger I had a crush on Reboot Lyle, Thom, Garth, and SW6 Gim and would imagine them as a band.
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
Superboy is the leader so he is Paul. Saturn Girl is the deep thinker so she is John. Lightning Lad is the goofy fun one so he is Ringo. That makes Cosmic Boy George by default.

So, for the Monkees:

Micky = Paul
Mike = John
Peter = Ringo
Davy = George

Hmm...
I would put Davy as Paul with Micky as George by default.

You always have to say ? George by default?.
Let's go female. How about the Spice Girls?

Posh - Kinetix Kinetix or perhaps Apparition Apparition
Ginger - Spark Spark
Scary - Umbra Umbra
Baby - Violet Violet or perhaps Shikari Shikari
Sporty - XS XS or perhaps Triad Neutral Neutral
Tell what you want. What you really really want
I wanna uh I wanna uh I wanna uh...
Ginger is the only one whose name is an actual spice.
I love gingersnap cookies.
Cinnamon is my favorite spice. And I love gingerbread.
Cinnamon Carter was the sexy secret agent from the original "Mission: Impossible" (accept no substitutes.)
Original is often the best wink

Except when it comes to Pringles. tongue
DC Western character Cinnamon is sometimes portrayed as a previous incarnation of Hawkgirl.
I've put cinnamon in my coffee this morning. I needed a very big cup...
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
DC Western character Cinnamon is sometimes portrayed as a previous incarnation of Hawkgirl.
I actually liked that portrayal. The mid-oughts Hawkman series was really good.
I thought Inza Nelson as Dr Fate was really good.

Newt them! Newt them all!
I liked that Dr.Fate series from beginning to end, first with Eric & Linda in the role and then Inza with a new creative team.
I remember Dr. Fate in Linda's body briefly joining the Justice League.
My earliest memory is of my sister singing ?Chim Chim Cheree? to me so I would go to sleep.

It did not work and I have been awake ever since.
In the Philippines, we would say: if someone sings badly, it's gonna rain cause the sky is crying.
During thunderstorms we would say that the angels were bowling.
As a kid, my aunts would scare me by saying: If you misbehave, the police officer will take you away.
The first full-time, publically funded police departments in the United States came into being in the 1830s.
You're Under Arrest is an anime mainly about two female police officers who are partners.
A lot of animes/manga have weird titles.
Like Klill La Kill or Angel Beats or Balls Deep!
To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorite novels.
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Like Klill La Kill or Angel Beats or Balls Deep!

If "Balls Deep!" is an all-ages anime, I'd be extremely surprised (and probably disappointed laugh )!
Sorry, I got it wrong... the anime name is My Balls, not Balls Deep!

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/MyBalls
That does not change Paladin?s post.
I agree.
Sorry, I got it wrong... the anime name is My Balls, not Balls Deep!

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/MyBalls

That's an....interesting concept!
Willpower versus eternal torment wink

What about wet dreams though?
I know, right?

I mean, a demon in your sack?!? Seems like a weird metaphor for male toxicity or something..... hmmm
I mean, a demon in your sack?!? Seems like a weird metaphor for male toxicity or something..... hmmm

A heinous penis, as it were.
Better or worse than a
heinous anus
?
I've seen some of them in my time...
TMI, Ibby! lol
Dang it! I was hoping that would kill this thread tongue lol
We used to sing a little jingle: "WTMI: Way Too Much Information Radio."
Nope, still didn't kill the thread.
"Paura nella comunita dei fili viventi"
In addition to WTMI Radio we also had a running joke about the US Department of Duh.
I still enjoy affecting a Valley Girl voice and exclaiming, "Well, DUH" It's not mature, but it's fun.
Like, fer sure. As if!
Gross me out royal.
Gag me with a spoon!
A spoon full of ice cream. Here comes the choo-choo train!
BABY VOICE: Wheeee! More ice cweam. Annfie want more ice cweam.
Me want more ice cweam tooo!
I have an aunt who constantly post pictures of her cat on Facebook with baby-talk captions that are supposed to be messages from the cat.
I have an aunt who constantly post pictures of her cat on Facebook with baby-talk captions that are supposed to be messages from the cat.

I taught I taw a puddy tat.
I am Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

I maybe a scwewy wabbit, but I am not going to Alcatwaz!
My aunt uses "berry" for very and "wuv" for love most egregiously. And "me" instead of I.

Sample post: "Me wuv you berry, BERRY much!"
"Me, Grimlock, love long-ago tales!"
Me, Grimlock, talk funny but it cute!
Me am not Bizarro. No one should find and bump talk like Bizarro thread.

Hello
Goodbye!
"I don't know why you say goodbye. I say hello!"
"I don't know why you say goodbye. I say hello!"

"Hey, ah,
Hey, hello, ah
Hey, ah,
Hey, hello, ah
(Woodchuck, woodchuck, woodchuck)
Hey, ah,
Hey, hello, ah,
(Woodchuck, woodchuck...)"
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood!
"She cooks nothing but chuck-wagon st-st-st-stew
And her name is Minerva Ulch
She's the flower of Gower Gulch"
"She sells seashells by the sea shore" was thought to be written in tribute to a real life fossil-collecter, dealer and paleontologist Mary Anning.
If we made it about someone opening up batteries and being burned by the acid, it could be "She shells C-cells and is she sore!"
I just hope the tongue twister doesn't delay the emergency response for her!
That would be a good comedy skit. The tongue twister emergency call.
Which takes practice to master, therefore making it difficult for impostors to copy!
That's similar to the concept of the shibboleth.
Like the Legion's secret handshake, that helped Superboy realize "Sun Boy" was an impostor!
I'm sure Legion fandom has plenty of their own shibboleths. Hey, wouldn't that make a good thread for the Legion forum? Hint, hint.
One of the best shibboleths would be being able to name and explain the different 'Boots!
Boots is a chain of chemists (drugstore) in the UK
Reminds me, I probably need to buy new boots soon...
I went through a period where I wore cowboy boots a lot. I haven't owned a pair in years.
"Are ya ready, boots? Start walkin'!"
?nd when faced with bigoted idiots who don't wanna self-quarantine:

"Start kicking!"
I miss the pre-COVID world. I miss being able to hug people. I miss singing in the choir. I miss eating out.
I miss browsing the new books section in the library
Having real-life books is indeed something.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man?s best friend. Inside of a dog, it?s too dark to read.
That would have to be a very big dog.
You mean like Clifford the Big Red Dog?
He sounds big enough!
The best dog my family had was a stray beagle mutt named Pooch
Clifford was great! Coincidentally my father's name was Clifford as is my son's middle name.
My brother and his wife used my brother?s middle name for their son?s first name. He and his wife used his middle name for their first son?s first name.
In the Philippines, the middle name always refers to the mother's maiden name.

All given names are collectively referred to as "first names". I have two "first names". I know people with up to four "first names".
Using the mother's maiden name as a middle name is not unusual in the US, but it is not as common as it once was. A middle name here is usually a second (and occasionally third) given name.

My first name was for my paternal grandfather (he insisted). My middle name was actually for my mother's grandfather, but it also happens to be my father's name, so I always felt as if I had no name of my own.
Edward is both the first name of my dad and my maternal grandfather. My middle name is Edward after both of them. We gave my younger son the name Edward for his middle name, as well.

My older son's middle name is the same as my father-in-law's middle name and my wife's deceased half-brother's first name. that name is Troy.

I and my sons all have first names that are unique within all 4 sides of our families.
I like that. It honors someone but still allows an individual identity.

I?ve come to love my first name. I?ve never cared for my middle name. Interestingly I have many dear friends with that name including one who was the best man at my wedding, another who was also in my wedding party, and Lardy! Though I still don?t like not having a name of my own, my friends who have that name help me to appreciate it on other people. smile
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
I?ve come to love my first name. I?ve never cared for my middle name. Interestingly I have many dear friends with that name including one who was the best man at my wedding, another who was also in my wedding party, and Lardy! Though I still don?t like not having a name of my own, my friends who have that name help me to appreciate it on other people. smile

Oh! I don't remember you ever telling me before that your middle name is my first name! I guess this means your initials spell: JAM? grin
I?m always in a JAM.
Not always, sometimes you are in a pickle.
My sister when she got married went from a BAP to a BAM. My initials do not spell anything.
My mother chose my names because they were cute. No additional meanings behind them.
? What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;?
Juliet from Romeo and Juliet is one of the greatest characters out of all the stage plays ever written.
I always liked that her name is Juliet Capulet. It almost rhymes.
A literary device.... and often a real-world one. I have a few friends whose given names rhyme with their surnames.
Dale Hale was a prolific animation writer in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, as well as a close friend of Charles M. Schulz.
Bob Cobb was Mon-El's alias in Smallville, as well as the name of the guy who actually invented the Cobb salad.
There was a lady at my church who passed away several years ago named Minerva Barr. She went by Minnie.
I know a couple of Winnies.
One of my favorite writers is Mike W. Barr (Camelot 3000, the original Batman and the Outsiders, Mantra, among other works.)
Some very good ones there, Fanfie!
Barr and Alan Davis made a particularly great pair!
Agreed, Lardy. And Davis has always been very kind in his words about Barr, saying that he learned more about storytelling from Barr's scripts than anywhere else.
Ann B. Davis played Alice Nelson on The Brady Bunch.
There was a JLI scene where Blue Beetle was watching The Brady Bunch. He said Marcia was cute. Booster gave him grief over it.
Eve Plumb, who played Jan Brady, had a cameo as one half of a mixed-race couple in the 1988 blaxploitation parody "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka."
In the Philippines and many other Southeast-Asian and South Asian countries, it is seen as marrying "up" if you find a white partner... Some call it the colonial mentality, alluding to how most of those countries were once colonized by majority-white countries.
The Philippines are named after King Philip of Spain.
Many Spaniards have Moorish ancestors.
I hear the rain where Philip comes from falls mainly in the plains.
The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain, but in Hertford, Hereford, and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.
Lardy remembers that from when he was a mere flower girl trying to learn to be a proper lady!
Oy remember when oy wuz a loverly lass!
But now Lardy is all improved!
But he still shouts "Move yer bloomin' arse!" to the horses at Ascot.
In hindsight, it's shocking how Bullwinkle Show producer Jay Ward got away with the running joke, in the Dudley Do-Right shorts, of Nell lusting after Horse instead of Dudley. Lots of old cartoons are pretty disturbing if you think about them too much.
Yeah. Like, what would Tom do if he ever caught Jerry?
Yeah, Jerry was quite the little sadist. Tom would probably give him a taste of his own cruelty before eating him. shudder

Hmmm...right after I typed that, it occurred to me that the meanest thing Tom could do to Jerry would be to force him to watch the Tom & Jerry Cartoons from 1965 to 1967. lol
I really prefer the cartoons where the tormenting is justified (not that all that violence is truly justified, but you know). Like the ones where Jerry is simply defending himself from Tom, or Bugs Bunny is defending himself from Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam.
I never much liked Yosemite Sam. He's too loud. Elmer is much funnier to me.
I found Sam a "sharper" enemy to Bugs, but I did find Fudd more endearing.
Endearing Young Charms is the name of the tune used in the exploding piano gag in the Looney Tunes cartoons.
Everyone's after me Lucky Charms!
I want the horseshoe!
Four-leaf clover for me!
Can I have the balloon too?
Are balloons lucky? I mean, they sure weren't in It!
ARTHUR: Cut down a tree with a herring? It can't be done.

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh! Aaaugh!

HEAD KNIGHT: Don't say that word.

ARTHUR: What word?

HEAD KNIGHT: I cannot tell, suffice to say is one of the words the Knights of Ni cannot hear.

ARTHUR: How can we not say the word if you don't tell us what it is?

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh! Aaaugh!

ARTHUR: What, `is'?

HEAD KNIGHT: No, not `is' -- we couldn't get vary far in life not saying `is'.

BEDEVERE: My liege, it's Sir Robin!

MINSTREL (singing): Packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering off
And chickening out and pissing off home
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge

ARTHUR: Oh, Robin!

ROBIN: My liege! It's good to see you!

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh!

HEAD KNIGHT: He said the word!

ARTHUR: Surely you've not given up your quest for the Holy Grail?

MINSTREL (singing): He is sneaking away and buggering off-

ROBIN: Shut up! No, no no-- far from it.

HEAD KNIGHT: He said the word again!

ROBIN: I was looking for it.

ROBIN: Uh, here, here in this forest.

ARTHUR: No, it is far from--

HEAD KNIGHT: Aaaaugh! Stop saying the word!

ARTHUR: Oh, stop it!

HEAD KNIGHT: Oh! He said it again!

ARTHUR: Patsy!

HEAD KNIGHT: Wait! I said it! I said it! Ooh! I said it again!
WHAT! IS! IT!

It's IT!

What is it?

It's IT!
It is a third-person neuter pronoun.
WHAT! IS! IT!

It's IT!

What is it?

It's IT!

It's so groovy, it's outta sight!
When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do
Is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue
When you're close to me, I can feel your heart beat
I can hear you breathing near my ear
Wouldn't you agree, baby you and me got a groovy kind of love
Blue is my second favorite color after green
It's not easy being green.
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water-
or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like the ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.
Someday we'll find it,
The Rainbow Connection,
The lovers,
The dreamers,
And me
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth?s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
I have never in my life climbed a tree.
I used to climb them a good bit as a youngster. Fun times!
I think I've done it only once or twice.
Oh, I can't help but think most Millennials and later generations missed out because of smart phones, video games, the internet, etc.
It's possible. For me though, it's also the environment (we didn't really have trees where I was growing up).
Like many things of that sort, it seemed a lot more difficult the couple of times I've done it as an adult.
Oh, yeah! The way my joints, back, etc. ache these days, I'd probably be going to the E.R. for making the attempt!
It's like riding a bike. You may not forget how, but there's a ton of long unused muscles that will rebel against you.
You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor!
Oh dear, I must have signed up in my sleep again.
Mr. Sandman send me a dream. Make him the cutest boy that I?ve ever seen.
Hee hee! If it's Wes Dodds...
According to the Wikipedia article, there have been seven characters known as Sandman in DC's history. If we exclude Dream/Morpheus and Daniel Hall, we get Wesley Dodds, Garrett Sanford, Hector Hall, Sandy Hawkins, and Kieran Marshall. I never heard of Kieran Marshall.
Kieron Dwyer was a somewhat prominent comic book artist in the '90s. He drew Captain America with Mark Gruenwald for a while and the Avengers with Kurt Busiek after George Perez left. He was also the stepson of John Byrne for a while.
All in the family...
Didn't Dwyer also do a Newsboy Legion mini-series with Karl Kesel? I haven't read it, but given Kesel's love of Jack Kirby characters, I find it intriguing.
My first intro to the Newsboy Legion was in the late 80s/90s Superman series, where the grown-up Newsboys were working with Cadmus while they had young clones running around. I thought that was cute.
Yeah, the Superman annual that introduced all that stuff was a good 'un. Can't go wrong with creators like Roger Stern, Ron Frenz, and Brett Breeding working together.
Indeed, they came up with some very good ideas.
Karl Kesel did a lot of cool things with Cadmus and its characters, like the Newsboys and Dubbilex. I particularly love the stuff he did with Tom Grummett on Superboy.Their second run began with a great Superboy-as-Kamandi storyline.
I *adore* Kesel & Grummett's Superboy! I missed out on it at the time, but caught up a few years ago via back issues.
I hope you got to read both runs. I think the second was even better than the first! (Only Levitz and a few others can claim that!)
I'm so removed from comics these days, I don't even remember any of those. frown
Lardy, I did read both runs and I agree -- the second was better than the first. nod

Rocky, you've reminded me how overdue both runs are for collections. I can't fathom how certain creators and certain runs continue to be ignored while some utter bilge gets the luxury treatment. confused
Politics in action, perhaps.
A copy of Action Comics #1 is worth a ridiculous amount of money.
I read about someone striking gold by finding a copy of Action Comics #1 in his grandparents' attic.
Is it officially the most valuable comic book in history? If so, I can see why because Supes is the first superhero.
Yeah, Action #1 is the most valuable.

I remember back in the 80s that Adventure #247 was considered the most valuable Silver Age comic, but it's relative value has declined massively since then.
Action #1 also had a coupon/competition that was meant to be cut out and sent in making it even less likely for "mint" copies to survive. I saw a youtube once that listed the names of the winners of the competition and therefore people that owned a copy of Action #1 and cut it up. Add that to the war-time paper drive and comics being seen as disposable as newspapers and it's not surprising that so few copies exist. Add that to Superman's first appearance and you have a recipe for top dollar demand.
Goodness. Gonna keep an eye out for it for sure! wink (As if I wasn't already)
Me, I prefer to buy deep-discount issues that are unlikely to be reprinted (i.e. a lot of Marvel stuff from the first half of the 90s, an era which I still think is unfairly vilified.) And since the average print run was so crazy-high, they're nice and cheap and easy to find.
I care most about whether I enjoy reading a certain comic book. Not so much for value or for collecting. I don't really have the space anyway,
Space: the final frontier
Every once in awhile I'll see someone complaining about, e.g., digital comics by saying something like "comics were meant to be collectible from the very beginning". It amuses because clearly they weren't. They were intended as incredibly disposable, which is why those that survived became collectible.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees.
Forrest Compton was a fine character actor. He was probably best known for his role as Mike Karr on the soap opera The Edge of Night, which he played from 1971 to the show's end in 1984. He died earlier this year of COVID-19 at the age of 94.
My favorite soap opera of all time is "Ciranda de piedra," produced in 1981 in Brazil and broadcast in Ecuador a few years later as "Ronda de piedra."
We get a lot of Mexican soap operas in the Philippines. But we have many of our own, too.
My favorite soap is Castile soap.

Originally named after the olive-oil based soaps from Castile, Spain, castile soaps these days are made from olive and a variety of other oils, all of which are plant-, nut-, or vegetable-derived. (Coconut, hemp, almond, and walnut oil are all commonly used, and castile soap can come in either liquid or solid form.)

Along with these oils, castile soaps contain lye, which, when mixed with the oil, creates soap molecules. Mix that soap with water and it creates charged atoms that capture dirt and other grime.
I like lavender-scented ones myself.
I've become a body wash guy over the past couple of years. It's just so much more convenient than bar soap.
Ren the Chihuahua once mistook a bar of soap for an ice cream bar.

It was...space madness.
Ren:
Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?

[Stimpy reaches for the button; Ren slaps his hand away]

Ren:
Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy:
So what'll happen?

Ren:
That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Ah, yes, the History Eraser button. Well known to various DC editorial committees over the past three decades. lol LOL
When they brought Will & Grace back a few years ago, they more or less did that with the series finale. Apparently it the original ending of the series was a drunken delusion of Karen's.
It's easy. Is it good? Probably not.
My fourth-grade teacher was named Mrs. Good.
When she was sad, was that "Good Grief?"
I recommend the Kristen Bell series The Good Place.
Just Wikied The Good Place, and while I was there I brushed up on Kristen Bell's full career. She appeared in both the stage and movie versions of "Reefer Madness: The Musical," which I haven't seen but it sounds great!
My son and daughter have really enjoyed The Good Place and have watched all of the episodes.
Veronica Mars, starring Kristen, was such a great series that I will forever love her for! I don't have Hulu, so I haven't seen the Season 4 revival, yet.
Have heard good things about Veronica Mars too!
British Mars Bars are better than American Mars Bars. None of those pesky nuts, just caramel + nougat + chocolate.
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy started as hard sci fi, but eventually had characters with super long lifespans that over stayed their welcome.
I?m guessing the series wasn?t about immortality, then
^^Seriously. The first book of that series is so strong, but I don't think I ever made it through the final book.
Catch-22 was the first book I stopped reading. It just was making me feel too depressed.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy started as hard sci fi, but eventually had characters with super long lifespans that over stayed their welcome.

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
^^Seriously. The first book of that series is so strong, but I don't think I ever made it through the final book.

I'll give the first book a try. Thanks, guys.
There are so many books I've wanted to read, but (despite what my profession is) I found nothing was keeping my attention till started doing audiobooks.
I know modern libraries are more multi-media than ever, but it's hard for me to comprehend a librarian basically saying he prefers audio books over paper-and-ink ones! lol
Catch-22 was the first book I stopped reading. It just was making me feel too depressed.

The sequel is miserable. But mainly as a reading experience. Poor.
We studied Catch-22 in high school and had an excursion to the theatre to see the movie. I told my friends that the TV version had been heavily censored but they didn't believe me. They sure believed me afterwards.
There are so many books I've wanted to read, but (despite what my profession is) I found nothing was keeping my attention till started doing audiobooks.

I am more of a visual person myself, so I prefer to read instead of to listen. Which is why I rarely watch TV shows or movies. Audioboooks wouldn't be very good for me.
I like audiobooks because you can listen to them while driving, cleaning, exercising, etc.
Multi-tasking, yay!
In an issue of X-Factor, Madrox the Multiple Man created a small army of duplicates wielding garbage-can lids as shields. This was Peter David's affectionate parody of the Hanna Barbera character Multi-Man, from the superhero trio The Impossibles. I figure PAD would have been 9 or 10 at the time that cartoon was first shown on TV.
The three characters from The Impossibles, Coil Man, Fluid Man, and Multi-Man, were pretty much recycled into Spaghetti Man, Liquid Man, and Multi-Man (again) in The Super Globetrotters about 13 years later.
In the Impossibles' Spanish-language dub, Coil Man was renamed "Cangurombre," or Kangaroo Man, I guess because he hopped around a lot and because "bobina," the Spanish word for coil, doesn't start with "C."
"Bobo" means "idiot" or "stupid" in Tagalog.
That's pretty much what it means in any language. In one Spanish-language comic book I read as a kid, one character insults another by calling him "Simon el bobito."
Tee hee! One advantage of coming from the Philippines, I could already pick up some Spanish words from the get-go!
A filipino friend of mine excelled for me when we were tasked with teaching a non-Spanish-class-taking student to recite the Spanish version of the Big Mac jingle for our teacher. He got a free Big Mac coupon for his trouble, and I got an A! grin
hahaha! that sounds so Filipino. And we grow up with jingles (ads for restaurants, snacks... and even politicians)...!
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame-seed bun
Now I'm hungry.
I haven't done quizzes on the Sporcle website in a while. When I would do the Countries of the World quiz, the European country I would miss most often was Hungary.
Break from game

I know modern libraries are more multi-media than ever, but it's hard for me to comprehend a librarian basically saying he prefers audio books over paper-and-ink ones! lol
That's a lot more common than you might think. Though many enjoy print books as well, a lot of librarians prefer audiobooks for many reasons.
/Break from game.
My Jewish grandfather used to say that anyone he disliked "Came from hunger." The first couple times, I thought he said "Hungary."
When I did the quizzes on Sporcle I like the boys and girls names from various decades and most populated us cities from different decades
I have no idea what Sporcle is. shrug
It's one of them new-fangled website-thingies that the kids these days are using!
It's a trivia/quiz website. I usually play the Geography and Comic Book ones.
When you feel good after playing Sporcle, do you get all tingly and sporc-ly?
Do you win a spork?
I used to make vampire teeth out of sporks.
I got my first question on it wrong when I said that Captain Kirk's Vulcan crewmate was Spork.
When I worked for three years at the downtown library, the nicest, most normal patron I dealt with was a young woman in full vampire costume, including fangs.
I enjoys hearing people's reminiscences.

Fangs for the memories.
LOL lol

That was bloody hilarious, Thoth.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I am incapable of sarcasm. It's what my doctor calls an "irony deficiency."
I can't do medical puns such as ones on iron deficiency. All my attempts are in vein.
Aorta change the subject, but I'm enjoying these puns too much.
Posted By: Set Re: Kill This Thread XVIX - Learning to Adult! - 08/16/20 07:58 PM
I heart somewhere that puns are the lowest form of humor.
I don't understand why. They always get me pumped up.
"And the beat goes on, just like our puns everlasting..."

(With profuse apologies to the Whispers, one of the most underrated soul-harmony groups of all time.)
Originally Posted by Set
I heart somewhere that puns are the lowest form of humor.
The original quote is "The pun is the lowest form of wit." The rejoinder is "It is, therefore, the foundation of all wit."
I don?t know what that is based on.
Cortana to the rescue:

The quote has been attributed to 18th Century dramatist John Dennis.
Leave it to a dramatist to have no sense of humor.
They feel strongly on other things, though.
They tend to be overly dramatic.
ACTING!
I sometimes fantasize about being an actor. I think I would enjoy being an artist and doing more creative things. Plus, there's the license to do things and express emotions that one could not really do in ""real life""
So long as you don't lose yourself in your roles to the point where you have trouble finding your way back to the real you.
That's definitely a risk.
OTOH, risks often pay off.
Meeting my new man was a risk. So was moving out of the Philippines to Europe. They both paid off in spades smile
I don?t know what that is based on.

I did see the foundation pun Quis.

A risk that didn't pay off was the one introduced in the Jurgens Teen Titans. He's mostly 'armless though.

From what I recall of acting in things, there's a huge rush from having the show go well. Lots of work paying off, as well as the surge of doing it in front of an audience. Plus a lot of egos reacting to that, as a result.
What is this "foundation pun" thou speakest of, Thoth? confused
Originally Posted by rocky
The pun is the lowest form of wit." The rejoinder is "It is, therefore, the foundation of all wit."

and since things are based on foundations...

Cue Quis popping in and saying it was a coincidence.
"Based" is contemporary slang for praiseworthy.

Unfortunately it's been heavily appropriated by the alt-right.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Originally Posted by rocky
The pun is the lowest form of wit." The rejoinder is "It is, therefore, the foundation of all wit."

and since things are based on foundations...

Cue Quis popping in and saying it was a coincidence.

Also base and foundation are synonyms
My head hurts. I like my puns simple and silly.
I prefer cinnamon in buns more than synonyms in puns.
Well, with something as yummy as cinnamon, there's no contest!
Cinnamon is my favorite spice!
Posh is my favorite Spice Girl.

She and I are both Aries.
My man and I danced to Wannabe last weekend.
In "Wannabe," when one of the Spice Girls goes, "Zig-a-Zig...AHHHHHH," it sounds like she just had a really good bowel movement.

(That said, I'm glad you and your man had fun dancing to that song, Ibby.)
Ah, that was indeed a satisfied AHHHH, Fanfie! and thanks smile We both like alcohol, and after a couple beers we're on the dance floor... not that people would pay to watch us, but we definitely look like we're having fun
You can dance if you want to.
You can dance if you want to.

Lardy, I think it's funny that you're quoting a song by Men Without Hats, when your avatar is a man WITH a hat.
Unless that hat is really a Durlan in disguise!
Top Hat is probably the most famous Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie, but I like The Gay Divorcee and Roberta much better.
Roberta is the female version of my name
Top Hat is probably the most famous Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie, but I like The Gay Divorcee and Roberta much better.

"Gay" really used to mean something very different! smile
I'm actually surprised that movie hasn't been remade/updated making use of the modern meaning.
It would probably revert to its original title The Gay Divorce if it did. Having said that, while I'm all for LGBT romantic movies, the original was so fine with Astaire and Rogers that it doesn't need to be remade.

Now if they were to reboot Bewitched to be the story of Sam and Darrin, that would be beyond awesome.
It would probably revert to its original title The Gay Divorce if it did. Having said that, while I'm all for LGBT romantic movies, the original was so fine with Astaire and Rogers that it doesn't need to be remade.

Well, given that the whole plot pretty much involves aspects of 1930s divorce law that aren't really relevant today, it would have to be an extremely loose adaptation anyway.
The times, they are a-changing.
The times, they are a-changing.

I love that song, because it's not an "us versus them" generational kind of thing, it's more like an sympathetic elegy for the inevitable passing of an epoch.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Old habits die hard.
Old habits die hard.

Sometimes they die harder.....or with a vengeance!
But then they come back!
Old habits die hard.

Sometimes they die harder.....or with a vengeance!

Hee hee! The first Die Hard movie was a favorite of mine as a teenager.
I remember liking Bruce Willis in Moonlighting.
I really liked Die Hard clone Air Force One.
Dolly the sheep was a clone
Here come the clones!
Where are the clones?
Send in the clones.
Don't bother, they're here.
This thread may need to be cloned.

I think EDE won this round due to the boards being updated
I vote we call it a win and give it to EDE.
I vote we call it a win and give it to EDE.

Seconded.
Don't see why not. Nothin' in the rules that excepts board being down.
That's 3 AYEs, so let's do it!
© Legion World