Legion World
Posted By: ActorLad Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 01:03 AM
Due there being no comic stores up where I live I can't participate in the awesomeness of FCBD like most of y'all. I was wondering if someone might be able to pick up these premiums for me:

X-Men/Runaways
The Transformers/Beast Wars Special
GI Joe Sigma 6 #1
Justice League Unlimited # 1
The special Wolverine Heroclix

If you only can get a few from the list X-Men/Runaways, The Transformers/Beast Wars Special, and the Wolvie Heroclix are what I want the most. I can probably get all that other stuff in tpb at some point. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.
Posted By: Kid Marvel Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 01:27 AM
Ooooh Can someone get me a Runaways/X-men? Free Comic book day doesnt really happen in Oz
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 01:47 AM
this saturday right? May 6th?
Posted By: mechana Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 02:03 AM
I hope everyone will check out the Dark Horse offering; it's a Star Wars/Conan flip book featuring colors by me on the Star Wars story.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 02:45 AM
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
this saturday right? May 6th?
Correct.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 04:46 AM
Originally posted by mechana:
I hope everyone will check out the Dark Horse offering; it's a Star Wars/Conan flip book featuring colors by me on the Star Wars story.
Cool! Too bad none of the Comic Shops around here (including the one I frequent and spend money at frown ) does anything for free comic book day. If they do have anything the owner insists that you get one free comic for every comic you buy. I buy my books on Wednesdays. sob
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 10:37 AM
Looks like I'm running out to the Putnam CBS (Wonderland) Saturday... they've always got a good showing for FCBD. I'll see if I can hook you guys up.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 12:18 PM
*choke*

Seeing as I exclusively go to the CBS on Sunday, I'll miss Free Comic Book Day! Too bad though, b/c my store is great about giving everyone all the freebies...its the one day where I get to pick up an Archie comic, etc. Good luck in your FBCD shopping though fellas!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/01/06 08:09 PM
The store I go to - the wonderful Strange Adventures of Halifax - offers whatever is leftover from FCBD for as long as it takes to go through the stock. I never make it there on the exact day, but always get to pick up a bunch of books in the weeks following. Of course they don't offer everything, but if there's stuff people missed, maybe I could look for it next time I'm in the city.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/06/06 08:45 PM
Well I can only hope that Dr. Volts has a large stack left over like last year. They did the same thing this year as Gary's shop, gotta buy a book to get one. There isn't anything out that I haven't already paid for that I would again to get a freebie. The other shop in town, Black Cat Comics, was worse. Spend $10 before you get to choose three or four free ones (can't remember how many).

The idea of FCBD is to get new readers in, not to fleece them. shake
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/06/06 09:30 PM
Even worse I know of one store that'll for sure package up the Mike Turner Aspen book and sell it in a few weeks. (I saw an Ex Machina #1 'FCBD Variant' on their wall).

I know it costs the store like 25 cents per "free book" but its the one day in the year to try to reach non regular clientele. Really, how much does a typical CBS spend on advertising and marketing per year? You'd think if one out of 10 kids who got a comic comes back during the year to buy a Marvel Adventures Digest that covers it the cost of those 10 books.

I'm lucky to live where I do. I went to the biggest shop in Toronto for a signing but it was a bit of a fanboy zoo, so I settled for getting my three free comics. Resisted all their sales though I did get my new comics for the week there today as they put those on sale.

Then on my way back home I stopped at my neighborhood shop who does a sidewalk sale every year. He had the free comics outside on an old style display rack (again take three). He also had about two dozen long boxes of surplus issues he was selling for for 50 cents each right next to the free ones. I took my three and couldn't resist going through the boxes.

The first store is celebrating it's 30th anniversary and the neighborhood store is celebrating 20 some years in business. Not rocket science to understand why they've survived the boom bust cycle when so many stores haven't.

I scored 8 free books, which will make me popular when I visit younger relatives this summer. smile
Posted By: mechana Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/06/06 09:36 PM
I went to my local shop today; a new one in my neighborhood. They were giving away one of everything if you bought something, or 2 per person without purchase. Though by the time I got there around noon, there wasn't much left to chose from. I did make a purchase, but I left all the freebies for those who would appreciate them more.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/06/06 09:44 PM
Well, I couldn't resist and purchased a few books to get two copies of the Star Wars/Conan flip book and a copy each of DC and Marvel books.
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/06/06 10:42 PM
Well, crap. I was gonna throw the extra flipbook I picked up in with your next ML shipment as a surprise... frown tongue lol
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/07/06 12:41 AM
You could always flip it my way Bri. laugh
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/07/06 02:13 AM
Oh! Okay, sure. nod

And I'll check for some X-Men/Runaways leftovers at another shop tomorrow-- The CBS I went to today only had a limited amount, and I didn't feel right taking more than my copy...
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/07/06 02:42 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: Reboot Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/09/06 07:05 PM
FTR, the X-Men/Runaways story is a misunderstanding-fight. That's it (There's also a Franklin Richards story, presumably from the upcoming Summer one-shot; and a summary of Ultimate Spider-Man to date)
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/09/06 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Pov:
Well, crap. I was gonna throw the extra flipbook I picked up in with your next ML shipment as a surprise... frown tongue lol
Thanks for the thought Bri!
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/06 06:23 PM
Anytime. wink

AL, you wanna PM me your address? I gotcha some stuff... nod

Joe Boy, I'm looking for an extra X-Men/Runaways... it was a popular freebie, looks like! :gulp:
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 04/23/12 10:20 PM
I am so stoked for Free Comic Book Day... my friend and I try to hit up a few shops to get books for the kids in the school we work in...
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 04/23/12 11:37 PM
I highly recommend folks seek out the Atomic Robo free comic book day issue! It space-rawks every year!
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 04/26/12 01:18 AM
This year\'s free books
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/05/12 12:22 PM
Today is the big day!
Posted By: Shining Son Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/05/12 04:46 PM
Midtown Comics in Manhattan also gave me Ultimate Fallout 1 thru 4 and Ultimate Spider-Man 160-Death of Spider-Man. I guess they didn't sell as well as expected. smile
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/05/12 09:32 PM
Got my haul today. On a related note: Capstone's "Incredible Rockhead and Zinc Alloy" includes an awesome clip-out mini poster by Art Baltazar (he illustrates their DC Super Pets book books) that includes Chameleon Boy and Proty.
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/08/12 03:45 AM
Lesse, I got:

Buffy/the Guild (for the Buffy story)
The Avengers
Young Justice/Batman

The great thing was, my wife took my daughter to a ballet showing at the library, and they had free comic book day as well. My daughter picked up a few comics there.

Then, later on, we all went to the local comic shop and got some stuff. My daughter got a couple of the Spiderman comics, and my youngest (5-yr-old boy) got a Yo Gabba Gabba, and Green Lantern, and several others. The "Donald Duck" comic was great, btw.

PJ (11 yrs old) really wanted the "Dinosaurs vs. Aliens" but it was long gone.

Patrick (the 5-yr-old) continues to amaze me. I asked him to read the cover of the Buffy comic and he said, "In space, no one can hear you..."

I knew he wouldn't know the last word, so I asked him if he could sound it out, and he pronounced "slay" correctly! Such a clever boy; he might be my retirement plan, haha.

He will start kindergarten this fall - I don't know what he is going to do there.
Posted By: Shining Son Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/08/12 04:04 AM
Such a proud papa, Lance is.

Glad to hear your kids are avid readers.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/12 06:55 PM
So, any one get the DC FCBD issue and want to spill on what it was about? All I've heard so far is vague references that don't actually sound like anything other than Vibe was in it.

FYI, my CBS kept for me the Atomic Robo issue and the awesome Archaia hardcover mini GN (which BTW, is the coolest thing ever!).
Posted By: Reboot Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/12 07:49 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/06/who-is-the-question-and-who-are-the-wizards-of-the-new-52/
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/12 08:24 PM
Thanks!

Now question #2. Did Marvel do one? Was it any good? Did anything noteworthy happen within?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/12 08:28 PM
Ew. Just read the bleeding cool link. The new Question? Wow--awful. Worst DCnU news yet maybe.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/12 08:49 PM
After "Shazam", no proper JSA, no Wally West, no J'Onn in JL (or even JLI) and various other Bad Decisions?

Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Thanks!

Now question #2. Did Marvel do one? Was it any good? Did anything noteworthy happen within?
A reprint of Avengers #13.1 as "Age of Ultron #0.1"
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/10/12 10:02 PM
You know I'm prone to overstatement. laugh
Posted By: Reboot Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/12/12 11:51 AM
It has been something I've occasionally noted wink
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/12/12 12:04 PM
Free Comic Book Day was awesome... scored tons of books to give away at school... if there's anything folks are looking for that they might have missed, I may have it so let me know...
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/15/12 11:15 PM
So the high point of the FCBD event has to be te Atomic Robo issue. Once again--simply brilliant.

It should always be a Dr. Dinosaur / Robo story every year. Because they just topped Batman / Joker as best comic book rivalry.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/15/12 11:57 PM
Seriously, when was the last time the Joker did something as cool as sending a T Rex egg through a time loop to evolve a futuristic T Rex with rocket launchers?

Probably not since the days when he rode around on giant ostriches.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 06/05/12 03:10 AM
So I finally got around to reading the coolest thing anyone has published for Free Comic Book Day...which also turned out to be the best thing any one has published too. I'm referring to the Archea Free Hardcover Anthology, which is just mind-blowing in terms of quality and in how much a company would give customers for free.

I'm still stunned that it cost me nothing. Talk about trusting your product--they know anyone who gets this, which surely cost a bit to print, will be coming back for more.

And theyre right. Because I will be. It's a collection of six short stories (one an excerpt I think), each one Eisner Award level of quality. The first was a Mouse Guard story, which is great as I've been meaning to check out Mouse Guard for years. And it was fantastic--I'd rank it alongside any issue of Sandman or Eisner's the Spirit in terms of making something incredible out of a small amount of space. I will be beginning my entrenchment in that universe shortly.

There was also an excerpt of the new Dapper Men GN. Anyone who considers themselves a fan of the medium surely has heard about 'Return of the Dapper Men' though I suspect many like me have not checked it out yet. It looks fascinating and totally original. This was a great tease and consider me curious for more.

But the big two mind-blowing stories were the following:

'Rust' which in 6 pages had me yearning for thousands more. It features a young farm boy with a prostetic limb whose father is off in a world war, and meanwhile a preteen rocketpack wearing adventurer named Jett Jones has crashed landed on their farm. In mere panels, I felt like I knew the boy / narrator and could relate to what he was feeling: missing his dad, unsure of how to feel about world events, jealousy and mistrust of Jett Jones, a longing to be an adventurer himself...or even just have both arms. I MUST have the rest of this story.

The other MUST HAVE was 'Cow Boy', a story in the tradition of Calvin and Hobbes (by the guy who did the Adventures of Franklin Richards) that plays it totally strait. It's about a young boy who was born into a family of criminals and because of the shame now hunts them all down for their crimes. Except hes like 8 years old and has a dinosaur holster for his gun. It's hilarious and totally charming and I'm so glad I found out about it.

This was nothing less than a smash success. I loved every minute of this read and am likely going to be spending upwards of $80 to get the full stories of these characters. Archaea took a chance on their product and gave me something no one else would dare do. And it paid off.
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 06/05/12 04:01 AM
Okay, I know what I'm reading at bedtime... Thanks for the rec, Cobie. I've been sitting on this since getting my EOM shipment this Saturday, and have been busy reading the three trades I got-- Book 2 of AmVamp, SCALPED: Rez Blues and the first TPB for the New52 Animal Man. But this FCBD offering has been at the back of my mind, and your review sealed it... tonight's the night! nod
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 06/05/12 11:05 AM
Can't wait to hear your thoughts! The next day and I'm still blown away. I can't believe I got that for free. It was just so good.
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 06/05/12 07:53 PM
LOVED it. love

The Mouse Guard tale was excellent, tho' I'm prejudiced... I've been a MG fan since I read the solicits for the first mini, FALL 1152. This tale is set 20 years previously, as a charming puppet show. Prior readers will enjoy the little easter egg at the end of the story. smile

DAPPER MEN looks totally original and unique... I always meant to check out the first OGN when I had extra space on my DCBS order, but... Nice to see it was successful enough to allow a second volume.

RUST did more in 6 pages than the likes of
Bendis can do in 60... issues. I immediately want to know all about Oswald, Morgan and Jet Jones, and the world they live in. Definitely want to check this out.

But the hit of this offering from
Archaia, for me, HAS to be COW BOY. I've been a huge fan of Chris Eliopoulos' work with a C&Hish Franklin Richards, and this has alot of the qualities without coming of as repetitive in any way. An 8 yr. old out to wrangle up his criminal siblings? Like you say, totally played straight??
love

I see from the listings at the end of the book there are two volumes of RUST already out, along with the COW BOY trade. Looks like I need to stop by DCBS' sister site, InstockTrades...

Oh, and COW BOY had the best bit of dialogue... "Stupid croppy, bite mah bacon..." rotflmao
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 06/05/12 08:44 PM
COW BOY was just so damned awesome! The combination of Eliopolous' visual and the badass-ness of the character are just brillaint. "I was already tough." Indeed!

Just like you, I'm hot off to get RUST and COW BOY, plus it's about time I dug into the Mouse Guard phenom.

I mean, how do I go back to New Avengers or Justice League after that? Those comics are as creative as the insurance newsletter sitting on my desk at work when viewed next to RUST.

The feeling I still have--almost 24 hours later--is just that I'm loving comic books right now. Because of the knowledge that stuff on the level of RUST and COW BOY are still being produced.
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 06/06/12 03:36 AM
Archaia knows what they're doing! Their offerings for DCBS's June orders are the two RUST trades, COW BOY: A Boy and His Horse and a new printing of Return of the Dapper Men
featuring new extras like the exclusive reprinting of the two Dapper Men stories from Free Comic Book Day 2011 and 2012, as well as never-before-seen artwork from Janet K. Lee
! This looks to be my biggest DCBS order in awhile! I'll have to make sure they know to thank Archaia... wink
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/02/15 10:59 PM
So what's everybody doing for this year's FCBD??

I picked up the "Teen Titans Go/Scooby Doo Team Up" from DC Kids for my niece Mackenzie. smile
Posted By: Elvar Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/02/15 11:55 PM
Picked up
Marvel's Secret Wars #0, All-New All-Different Avengers/Uncanny Inhumans, DC's Divergence #1, Teen Titans Go! #1/Scooby Doo Team-Up #1, IDW's Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Valiant's 25th Aniversary Special, Graphic India's Chakra the Invincible and Perfect Square's Pokemon X-Y.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/15 06:06 AM
I only picked up the Bob's Burgers and Bongo Comics issues. Divergence and Secret Wars left me very unimpressed.

I'm just glad FCBD is over. I had to help out at the store today after spending the last month getting everything in order for my boss. These last two weeks in particular DRAGGED.
Posted By: Elvar Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/15 07:27 PM
None of the books this year were very impressive.
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/22 12:43 PM
Making a trip to Wonderland Comics in Putnam this morning... checking out their new location to see how feasible a visit this Saturday would be. I used to go all the time when I was walking and driving, but their original location had stairs, and I couldn't get to their back issue room.
The last time I went to FCBD in person was... 4 or 5 years ago? To Sarge's in New London, CT... I didn't get to really hunt for stuff I might've wanted to buy. They're single level, but were packed to the gills with product and customers. I 'm looking to avoid the frustration this time, hence the drive by to scope out Wonderland today.
My niece wants manga and Pokemon cards, so I'll be checking those out as well... lol
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/22 05:46 PM
My local shop objected to me taking Adventure 247 and Brave and Bold 28. It turned out that not all comics are free on free comic book day.
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/22 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
My local shop objected to me taking Adventure 247 and Brave and Bold 28. It turned out that not all comics are free on free comic book day.

rotflmao
Posted By: Pov Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/22 07:51 PM
FTR, Wonderland's new location is totally awesome! The aisles are well spaced, and what I couldn't reach, the staff were willing to help me out. So glad Mom and I took the trip to scope things out. Looking forward to Saturday!! BouncingBoy

Their FCBD flyer:

Attached picture WonderlandFCBD2022.jpg
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Free Comic Book Day - 05/03/22 08:26 PM
Nice sale too. Hope you have a great time Pov.
© Legion World