Roll Call
0 members (), 67 Murran Spies, and 141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/10/24 01:58 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/10/24 01:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/10/24 01:56 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/10/24 01:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/10/24 01:55 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/10/24 01:54 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 10 JUNE*
by razsolo - 06/10/24 01:36 AM
Moonmoons.
by thoth lad - 06/09/24 07:50 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Election 2012 Poll...
#599365 10/17/12 03:40 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Okay, so for the new election, "All Active Members (except those LOST in the 21st century) are eligible".

So, I made two lists, one with the "active members" interpreted very literally, excluding the recently resigned Star Boy and Comet Queen, and one with those two plus Bouncing Boy and Duplicate Damsel thrown in.

Let's see how close we can get to the actual results!

Re: Election 2012 Poll...
#599366 10/17/12 06:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Are we supposed to vote twice? Once for each question?

As with the last election, I voted for Phantom Girl and will be doing so by mail to DC. She seems like a natural choice, as one of the oldest historical members who has never been leader in any boot. She has always been portrayed as a solid professional and team player. The personality that Levitz gave her in Secret Origins and the zero issue suggests that she would have a lot of good will and affection from her teammates.

Go Tinya!

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#599367 10/17/12 07:06 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Yeah, the theory is that you vote on each list, and will presumably vote for the same person on each list, unless you prefer one of the four added names on the second list.

After posting it I thought I should've made a list adding in the Lost Legionnaires as well, just to see how that would go.

#599368 10/17/12 07:13 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I voted for Dream Girl, then Duplicate Damsel.

#599369 10/17/12 09:38 PM
Active
Active
I wish the Legion Lost team had been included. Then I might have voted for Timber Wolf, Tyroc or Dawnstar. All of them might have fostered interesting storylines.

#599370 10/18/12 09:52 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
As usual, I voted for who could use some more panel time. Lightning Lass and Duplicate Damsel for me.

Maybe Luornu becoming Leader would produce a story on how her powers changed?

Cham is on the list, but no Colossal Boy or Night Girl?

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#599371 10/18/12 09:55 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Colossal Boy is not currently active, but with Starfleet or something. Night Girl is an instructor at the Academy at the moment, so I guess she could've been included on the second list with Lu and Chuck, but she hasn't been seen much lately, so...

#599372 10/18/12 09:56 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Interestingly, for once we have fairly clear leaders on the polls. hmmm

#599373 10/18/12 03:34 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Wow, after all my Phantom Girl boosting last election, I feel dirty for not voting for her this election!

Still, my heart is fickle, and this week, it's Ayla.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#599374 10/18/12 03:47 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
As usual, I voted for who could use some more panel time. Lightning Lass and Duplicate Damsel for me.
Me too! Lu would be a great leader. She could accompany every away team and take charge of all of them at once.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#599375 10/19/12 01:53 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Me too! Lu would be a great leader. She could accompany every away team and take charge of all of them at once.
I'm very curious as to whether or not all of the Lu's are mentally connected, like a single entity.

She was portrayed in the recent Adventure run as finishing her own sentences, and with multiple selves standing in the same pose and moving simultaneously, which very much suggests that she *is* present in all of her duplicates, at the same time, and that they don't have to talk to each other, or pass on information when they recombine (like Marvels Multiple Man).

If that's the case, then she could literally be on every team *and know instantly what's going on with every other team.* That could be very cool, and also make for some challenges for the writer, since any team with a Lu on it would know what was going on halfway around the galaxy (or at headquarters, where there's yet another Lu on 'monitor duty.').

Of course, if she's got some sort of range limit (can't maintain a dupe that gets more than 100 yards, or a couple thousand miles, or a light-second away from her, for instance), that would be a built in limitation on Lu being all over the place, keeping everyone in real-time communication.

Makes me wonder if UP faster than light interstellar communications aren't built using tech designed around or inspired by Carggite neural tissue, able to maintain a real-time connection between greatly separated 'selves.' That would be funky, to find out that every long-range UP communications device (including the Flight Rings) has a few cloned Carggite brain cells built into it!

#599376 10/19/12 06:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I voted for Mon-el again. I've always voted for Mon-el, all the way back to the old days, because I feel he has great character and leadership potential, but writers will shy away from him. Forcing him into the spotlight should create a great oppourtunity, but Paul hasn't really seized that oppourtunity having spent the first half of his term writing himself out of a plot corner and the second half hasn't really had a lot of great leadership moments. I want to see Mon the leader actually leading the charge into an epic battle, so I'm giving him a second chance to get it right.

#599377 10/19/12 07:36 AM
Active
Active
Seems that all the fans are punishing Shadow Lass for sleeping with Earth Man. Zero votes...
I vote for Tinya and Luornu, both deserve be the leader.

From UK with glamour.
#599378 10/19/12 11:35 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I voted for Shady over Tinya in the 1st poll because I feel she is not as likeable as she once was due to the Mon-el/Earth Man story, maybe Paul could fix that with her in the spotlight.

In the 2nd poll I voted for Lu as I did last year because Her power would be perfect for Leader of the Legion!

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#599379 10/19/12 12:02 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
So, if there were an overwhelming number of votes sent in for Lu, they'd have to count them, wouldn't they? TriplicateGirl

#599380 10/19/12 12:04 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I'm very curious as to whether or not all of the Lu's are mentally connected, like a single entity.

Yeah, it would be cool if her power were less a matter of "creating duplicates" and more a matter of "being in multiple places at once". It would also fit with the idea that, unlike in past versions, she wouldn't be able to survive the death of one of her bodies.

#599381 10/19/12 08:45 PM
Candidate
Candidate
This version of Lu deserves to be explored further. I thought it was lame when she was transformed into *Duplicatrix.* I haven't picked up a Legion book in years, and only keep tabs through mediums such as this one. Does the Carggite logic still apply in regards to the way her power works now? Previously I believe her *selves* had to recombine in order for her to absorb the knowledge gained from the individual experiences they would have. There couldn't have been a telepathic link in the past, because she's been in a fragmented state for a longer than usual period, in the past. The selves were completely disconnected. No flow of information.

In the reboot, (Legion *247,*) when one of her selves was nearly killed, I can't recall if the other two were aware. In 5YL boot, Glorith held one of Lu's selves captive, the remaining Lu was completely unaware that her second self was still alive. I can't recall if Lu even *sensed* there was a connection when that second Lu returned and started to attack various Legionnaires. So even Proximity didn't alert her. Additionally, in original continuity, when Starfinger kidnapped her second body she didn't even notice.

It would have been interesting if one of her selves had been one of the legionnaires *stranded,* (NOT LOST,) in the other title. Lu definitely deserves some focus. The 4th legionnaire has evolved quite a bit. I'd wonder if the emergence of her presently *amped* state might cause her stress, since she's already experienced the loss of two selves. One would think there might be a fear of having to relive those losses again.

Someone posted they thought a recently depicted exchange between Lu and Nura hinted at a Lu/Querl connection. This deserves further exploration, as well. Aside from the Computo event that led to the loss of her third self , there's also the showdown that took place with the Time Trapper/Glorith, and the loss of her second self. The scene of Querl offering her his belt as a safeguard for her remaining self was very touching. It showed how responsible he felt. there's also the fact that they both chose historical figures to be enamored with in their younger years. When you're at a certain age, things can be more intense. Their teammates must have thought all sorts of things about these two. Lu & Querl must have been confidants, as well. Who else would understand what it is to be in love with someone out of history. (Maybe Tasmia.)

Anyhow, more face time for Lu. Lu today, Lu tomorrow, LU FOREVER!!!

#599382 10/20/12 01:44 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by jesjos: There's also the fact that they both chose historical figures to be enamored with in their younger years. When you're at a certain age, things can be more intense. Their teammates must have thought all sorts of things about these two. Lu & Querl must have been confidants, as well. Who else would understand what it is to be in love with someone out of history. (Maybe Tasmia.)
Ooh, this is an intriguing tangent.

Sometimes we choose to romanticize / fantasize about celebrities or whatever because they are the 'perfect' partner, made of putty, and shaped to conform to whatever we want them to be, with no ability to change that perception, since we will never ever have to actually meet them.

Lu and Brainy are in the rare position of actually meeting and interacting with someone they may have 'loved from afar' in a fannish way, and that person may have turned out to be very different than the imagined version.

Brainy ended up with Supergirl anyway, but Lu, after perhaps idolizing Superboy as a youth (or maybe not, it's not clearly stated either way), veered away from a relationship with her 'celebrity crush,' falling back onto the very much more 'real' Chuck, as if choosing to grow up and put away her idealized fake boyfriend and choose a more down to earth man that she could grow old with, than a whirlwind romance with someone who only spends a week every couple of months in her timeline.

What some would consider the perfect relationship-of-convenience, with a fantasy partner / dream come to life, who is only going to be around some of the time, allowing one to skip the hard parts of making a relationship work and just be 'friends with benefits,' Lu ended up never even pursuing, choosing instead a more reliable and less 'fantasy' relationship with Chuck.

Brainy, on the other hand, chose the fantasy.

His faerie tale turned out to be more of Grimm's tale than a Disney one...

#599383 10/20/12 03:50 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
I voted for Mon-el again. I've always voted for Mon-el, all the way back to the old days, because I feel he has great character and leadership potential, but writers will shy away from him. Forcing him into the spotlight should create a great oppourtunity, but Paul hasn't really seized that oppourtunity having spent the first half of his term writing himself out of a plot corner and the second half hasn't really had a lot of great leadership moments. I want to see Mon the leader actually leading the charge into an epic battle, so I'm giving him a second chance to get it right.
Me, too.
I also hate that Levitz wants to write him out of the Legion.
Or did.
This whole time with Levitz as the Legion's writer, unlike his lovely Academy work, has been so disappointing for me.
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#599384 10/20/12 08:57 AM
Active
Active
Not only that Levitz wants to write Mon-El out of the Legion....
Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Matter Eater Lad, Sensor Girl, Blok, Black Witch, Night Girl, Colossal Boy, XS, Quislet... all of them are out for Levitz desires.
And Duplicate Damsel and Bouncing Boy in the academy.

From UK with glamour.
#599385 10/20/12 10:49 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by jesjos:

In the reboot, (Legion *247,*) when one of her selves was nearly killed, I can't recall if the other two were aware.

When Triad Neutral was beaten, the other two Triads immediately sensed her weakness and felt the pain - or at least, some sympathy pain. Both of them were shown doubling up.

#599386 10/23/12 04:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
Not only that Levitz wants to write Mon-El out of the Legion....
Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Matter Eater Lad, Sensor Girl, Blok, Black Witch, Night Girl, Colossal Boy, XS, Quislet... all of them are out for Levitz desires.
And Duplicate Damsel and Bouncing Boy in the academy.
Good point(s).
My perspective is from Lar being my all time favorite comic book superhero, though.
Umbra's my favorite heroine.
So the others don't sock it to my heart as much.
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#599387 10/24/12 08:11 PM
K
Active
Active
K
There's a question:
1) Should you vote based on in-story considerations--that is, which Legionnaire is best qualified?
2) Should you vote based on external considerations--that is, which Legionnaire do you want Paul to give some more screentime to?

I'm more inclined to vote for the second reason.

#599388 10/26/12 04:49 AM
Active
Active
If Lu were elected, I think Paul Levitz would create a rift between her and Chuck, and that is something I wouldn't want to see.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#599389 10/26/12 07:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't figure Levitz will ever care to write Lu for any extended length of time, so I voted Tinya in both. I voted for her last time as well.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,021
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000