Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 23 Murran Spies, and 89 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Why he was arrested.
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:49 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:47 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:46 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:45 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:45 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/16/24 01:38 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New York Comic Con Legion 50th Anniversary Panel Saturday April 19 1-2 P.M. Room 1E08
#607927 04/22/08 08:27 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
[b]well i cant say for shooter but when i asked Livesay if he was going to the panel he told me he didnt even know where it was
Was Jim at his table in Artist's Alley? He was supposed to have one right next to Livesay. [/b]
if he was he was never there when i circled 3 times and i didn't see him on Sunday

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
Re: New York Comic Con Legion 50th Anniversary Panel Saturday April 19 1-2 P.M. Room 1E08
#607928 04/22/08 11:25 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Yes I was at the panel as well.

Nice interaction between Keith & Paul, but really, 3 people on a panel celebrating the Legions 50th Anniversary?

Jim Shooter never made the trip, Waid was there, but not at the panel, and attending artist on the legion that could have been at the panel and were not . . . .

Regular artist on the monthly series recently:

Jim Livesay

Dennis Calero

Chris Batista

Olivier Coipel / Andy Lanning

Artist who have worked on the Legion in the past

Leonard Kirk, Nick Cardy, Carmine Infantino, Matt Banning, Bob Wiacek, Dale Eaglesham, Sanford Greene, Aaron Lopresti (This week's issue), Ivan Reis, Dexter Vines, Art Thibert, Joe Staton, Josef Rubenstein, plus many more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

WOW, missed oppotunity. Shame on you DC!

It was suppose to be the highlight of my weekend, but ended up being the biggest disappointment as well.

LLLater!

UltraBoy3

UltraBoy
#607929 04/22/08 11:26 AM
G
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
G
I just found out that he missed the con altogether. Something else else must have come up.

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com
#607930 04/22/08 02:44 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Thanks, Scott, for posting the pics and the link to the podcast.

I'm actually glad that more creators didn't participate in the panel, as it was hard enough to keep straight who was talking most of the time. Levitz's voice is distinct and articulate, but it took me awhile to tell the difference between Giffen and Marts (name?). It was also good to get two different perspectives, one from the creative team many of us fondly remember and the other from the present editor. All were able to give detailed answers that might have gotten lost in a larger panel.

Most irritating moment: Giffen distilling his hatred of Karate Kid down to a single term ("super-karate"). Admittedly, that's a weak description of Val's abilities, but focussing on it overlooks the character's many valid contributions to the Legion. Val, for example, was the "everyman" who succeeded through his own hard work and determination in a world where everyone else merely pointed their finger to shoot a power (to paraphrase Shooter).

Most revealing moment: Levitz admitting that, from a writer's point of view, crossovers suck. Yet he also acknowledges that, from the company's perspective, crossovers make sense because people buy them (which is a roundabout way of saying that some of us have only ourselves to blame).

Funniest moment: Giffen chastizing Levitz for writing a panel description about the entire population of Daxam taking flight during the "Great Darkness Saga."

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#607931 04/22/08 02:50 PM
by the way that stupid first question...where the girl said like...for or five times with the gaps inbetween....that was me...
I wondered if any Legion Worlders were asking the questions! Thanks for representing us, kf2f! The question didn't sound stupid at all.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#607932 04/22/08 07:36 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
[b]by the way that stupid first question...where the girl said like...for or five times with the gaps inbetween....that was me...
I wondered if any Legion Worlders were asking the questions! Thanks for representing us, kf2f! The question didn't sound stupid at all. [/b]
i tried my best to look cute so the would call me...that and i was in the front row

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#607933 04/22/08 11:51 PM
Active
Active
[QB]

Most irritating moment: Giffen distilling his hatred of Karate Kid down to a single term ("super-karate"). Admittedly, that's a weak description of Val's abilities, but focussing on it overlooks the character's many valid contributions to the Legion. Val, for example, was the "everyman" who succeeded through his own hard work and determination in a world where everyone else merely pointed their finger to shoot a power (to paraphrase Shooter).
I'll agree with that...and add to that, Karate was a popular Legionaire at least based on the existing evidence. He tended to do well in the fan based leader elections(winning one of them), and he was the first Legionaire spun off into his own solo series.

IMO, the weak point of the Levitz Giffen era is that they really didn't create many new characters, and they killed off, permanently altered or got rid of an awful lot of old ones, and to put it bluntly, their replacements weren't as good.

Ironically enough...their best work, the GDS, they didn't kill anyone...and it was one of the best comics stories I've ever read.

IMO Giffen's attitude is little on the careless side,, I mean...everyone is someone's favorite character. On top of that...I realize it's funny that Giffen just has this visceral hatred of this character and keeps killing him. but it really stopped being funny after this last time in Countdown. Just the let him stay dead if all you are going to do is kill him....it's old.

#607934 04/23/08 01:20 AM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
thanks for posting the podcast! I wished I was there but I had to stay in and work frown From what Livsay has told me noone made him aware of where and when the panel was so I think this may have been a case of miscommunication. As for Jim he had other matters to attend to and was unable to go to the con. I do agree though that it would have been better had more creators showed up but I thought it was a quality panel..probably should have done more of an open question panel though rather than an interview type thing so the fans can really dig in....

#607935 04/23/08 09:55 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
[b]
[b]by the way that stupid first question...where the girl said like...for or five times with the gaps inbetween....that was me...
I wondered if any Legion Worlders were asking the questions! Thanks for representing us, kf2f! The question didn't sound stupid at all. [/b]
i tried my best to look cute so the would call me...that and i was in the front row[/b]
Nice job kf2f! I thought the question was good, too!

#607936 04/23/08 05:16 PM
Active
Active
what did they say about the 50th anniversary? anything?
no mention of the cartoon? or it's comic?
no mention of action figures?
no mention of the lightning saga legion? or the Legion of Three Worlds mini?

Gorilla Nebula
#607937 04/23/08 06:18 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Three Legion creators for The Legion's 50th Anniversary panel seems like hardly enough.

So it got me thinking what would be the perfect lineup and agenda for such a panel as there are more Cons this year and perhaps we as fans could let DC know what we would like to see.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#607938 04/23/08 07:14 PM
Deputy
Deputy
List of Legion Creators and Creators who are known Legion fans.

Alan Davis
Al Gordan
Allen Heinberg
Adam Hughes
Andy Lanning
Alan Moore
Alex Ross
Arne Starr
Barry Kitson
Bob McLeod
Brad Meltzer
Brian Michael Bendis
Bruce Patterson
Bob Waicek
Cary Bates
Chris Batista
Colleen Doran
Chris Sprouse
Dan Abnett
Dan Jurgens
Dennis Calero
Frank Miller
Francis Manapul
Fred Hembeck
Gail Simone
Gary Frank
Greg LaRocque
Geoff Johns
George Perez
Gerry Conway
Howard Bender
Howard Chaykin
J.M.DeMatteis (cartoon)
Jack C.Harris
Jim Lee
Jimmy Palmiotti
Jason Pearson
James Tucker
Joe Rubinstein
Jim Shoooter
Joe Staton
James Sherman
Jim Starlin
Kurt Busiek
Keith Giffen
Ken Steacy
Len Wein
Mary Bierbaum
Mark Farmer
Mike Grell
Mike W.Barr
Michael Netzer
Mindy Newell
Mark Waid
Neal Adams
Nick Cardy
Olivier Copiel
Pat Broderick
Phil Jimenez
Paul Kupperberg
Paul Levitz
Robert Fleming
Roger Stern
Roy Thomas
Steve Ditko
Stuart Immonen
Steve Lightle
Tony Bedard
Tom Bierbaum
Terry Shoemaker
Ty Templeton
Walt Simonson

And I know I've missed at least a dozen or so.

But they won't.
#607939 04/23/08 09:20 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
what did they say about the 50th anniversary? anything?
no mention of the cartoon? or it's comic?
no mention of action figures?
no mention of the lightning saga legion? or the Legion of Three Worlds mini?
no to be honest that the guy asking all the questions took up all the time and they cut the panel short 15 min, so we the fan didnt get to did as deep as we wished we could, the only thing we got about the futer of the legion was there might be a wedding soon...

that can only be one of three pairings, lighting lad and saturn girl, but that doesn't seam likly with cosimc boy gone. if they were going to get hitched i think they would wait for cosimc boy to get back.
element lad a trip...this pairing pisses me off greatly because it is sooo not interesting, i cant see it being a relastionship that is in the backround and they just stop dateing one day and noone would care
the princess and timber wolf. this couple just doesnt make that much sense to me. i think they were just dating to piss the princess dad off and she a little to messed up right now to end it.

and this one is way way out there, brainy and dream if she comes back to life soon

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#607940 04/24/08 12:03 AM
G
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
G
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
J.M.DeMatteis (cartoon)
How soon they forget! The author of Kraven's Last Hunt and Moonshadow was also the co-creator (along with Steve Ditko) of Dr. Mayavale.

In all seriousness, the right number of people for a panel is four. Five is okay, but anything over that is too much. The best opportunity for a Legion panel was last week in New York. Levitz and Giffen were there, Shooter was supposed to be there, and even Al Plastino lives in the area. So does Jim Sherman. The number of ex-Legion creators living in California for San Diego 2008 is... well... Terry Shoemaker and Mark Waid. Throw in Geoff Johns and you could have a decent panel, but as far as representing every Legion era goes, New York was it.

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com
#607941 04/24/08 03:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I guess if I had to pick 5 for a Legion panel it would be

Jim Shooter
Paul Levitz
Keith Giffen
Mark Waid
Geoff Johns

But they won't.
#607942 04/25/08 07:58 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:

Alan Moore

Brian Michael Bendis

Frank Miller

And I know I've missed at least a dozen or so.
I don't think I've ever seen or heard anything from any of these three guys expressing an affinity for the Legion one way or another. Alan Moore seems to have a universal love for all comics (except current DC and Marvel), but apart from the "League of Infinity" bit from Supreme, I never got the vibe that the Legion held any kind of special place in his regard separate from any other title that he's done a take on. If Frank Miller hadn't drawn an Archive cover and had people in Legion-based costumes running around in the background of a few panels of DK2, I wouldn't have been surprised if you told me he'd never so much as name-checked the Legion in public. Same with Bendis; the only time I've ever heard him even mention a DC book was when he said he read Wolfamn and Perez's Titans when he was younger. So I'm very interested in finding out where and in what context these guys have expressed any kind of fondness for the Legion, if you can share that. It's news to me.

Nullum Magnum Ingenium Sine Mixtura Dementiae Fuit

Death to Videodrome. Long Live the New Flesh.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,177
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000