Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/09/24 11:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/09/24 09:36 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:00 AM
Moonmoons.
by thoth lad - 06/09/24 07:50 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:23 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:22 AM
Comic book Catfights
by RED-001 - 06/08/24 07:10 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legion fan fiction -- a viable alternative?
#851855 05/23/15 01:46 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
It has occurred to me recently that, every day, it's harder and harder to stay optimistic about the future of the Legion as far as the "official" DC version goes. There is no question in my mind that the regime which has been in place at DC since 2003 really dislikes the Legion, doesn't understand it, and doesn't care about its fans.

I don't see why we should keep settling for less. We have good fan artists and good fan writers here at Legion World. Speaking for myself, I pour my heart and soul into everything I write about the Legion, and I won't lie -- it can get frustrating sometimes that there is so little feedback. My last story did have feedback from a couple of Legion Worlders outside of the usual suspects, so that's a start at least, but I like to dream big. I like to imagine there's some way to bring serious attention to the lovingly crafted works of myself and others.

The key word, I think, is synergy. If we could get the artists collaborating more with the writers and bring scenes from the stories to brightly colored life, we'd get over a major stumbling block -- namely that the Legion, having traditionally had a sequential art presentation, is neither purely visual nor purely verbal. And then there's the feedback. I realize that many Legion Worlders are simply not interested in fan fiction and/or fan art, and I accept that. But I do think there are also Legion Worlders who, if they opened their minds a little, would find the content of the Bits forum rewarding.

The Legion has always been fan-driven, and perhaps its time for a lot of fans to start looking for that sense of wonder outside of whatever weak-tea product DC foists on us. But we can only do it if we work together -- the writers writing, the artists drawing, and the readers commenting.

Finally, the synergy can also extend to the stories themselves, because if we refuse to settle for one version as canon, we get a rich tapestry with something for everyone. There's no reason different Legion sub-universes cannot interact with each other. If they did, I think it would be to everyone's benefit.

We've got something of awesome potential here. Let's make it a reality.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: Legion fan fiction -- a viable alternative?
Fanfic Lady #851858 05/23/15 06:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
From what I've read in Bits I'm always surprised and amazed that whichever era you prefer there's something there for you lovingly crafted by a fellow fan. It's amazing!

Another thing I love in that forum is how the creators of the art and writers of the stories interact and reply to comments so I feel as if I'm with friends discussing their passions, which I happen to share. The diversity and originality on show inspires me to write, I feel welcome and supported to join in the fun.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Fanfic Lady #851879 05/23/15 09:28 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Are any Legion Worlders part of Interlac? I wonder if they would be interested in publishing some of the fan fic here in the APA's. I think that would be a good way to get fan fic writers here more attention in the Legion fandom community. hmmm

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 05/23/15 09:33 AM.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Fanfic Lady #851884 05/23/15 09:36 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

The key word, I think, is synergy. If we could get the artists collaborating more with the writers and bring scenes from the stories to brightly colored life, we'd get over a major stumbling block -- namely that the Legion, having traditionally had a sequential art presentation, is neither purely visual nor purely verbal.

i would love for an artist to draw the Legion lineup I have built in my fictional universe.

Finally, the synergy can also extend to the stories themselves, because if we refuse to settle for one version as canon, we get a rich tapestry with something for everyone. There's no reason different Legion sub-universes cannot interact with each other. If they did, I think it would be to everyone's benefit.

That's certainly awesome. For example, I had a lot of fun having the Postboot Legion and the Retroboot Legion interact in my own fic - Reboot-era Chuck and Tenzil being amazed that their counterparts are Legionnaires, the Retrobooters wondering at how Spider-Girl is a Legionnaire...

Kappa Kid #851896 05/23/15 11:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad
Are any Legion Worlders part of Interlac? I wonder if they would be interested in publishing some of the fan fic here in the APA's. I think that would be a good way to get fan fic writers here more attention in the Legion fandom community. hmmm

I don't really know much about interlac but thanks for the tip. I wonder how we can get more people interested from here as well though.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #852007 05/23/15 11:53 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
i would love for an artist to draw the Legion lineup I have built in my fictional universe.

What kind of sad, stupid git would want that sort of thing? wink

Attached Images Thumbnails.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Fanfic Lady #852019 05/24/15 12:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
*sob* I don't expect you to understand but it would make me oh so happy... wink thanks for sharing wink

Fanfic Lady #852216 05/25/15 10:03 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Well, Fanfic Lady, you inspired (guilted?) me into visiting a forum I had been completely ignoring. Do I feel like an idiot now. I have started reading your most recent story and you have some real talent. Most enjoyable read (would be epic with art). You have added one supporter to the notion of a fan takeover. Great job.

Whaddya mean I'm out of continuity?
Fanfic Lady #852232 05/26/15 09:44 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
I'm all in favor of this but would suggest that the front page of the site be modified to make locating the fan art/fan fiction easier to find.

Fanfic Lady #852256 05/26/15 12:53 PM
OP Offline
Thank you, Mr. Retconnery, for the kind words. And please do also check out the in-progress works by Harbinger, Invisible Brainiac, Razsolo, and Omni whenever you have the chance.

Georgehaze, your suggestion will be taken into consideration. Thank you.

Fanfic Lady #852267 05/26/15 02:43 PM
OP Offline

Fanfic Lady #852338 05/27/15 12:24 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Credit where it's due Fanfic Lady and thanks for the reading list. I'll get right on it!
Keep it coming smile

Whaddya mean I'm out of continuity?
Fanfic Lady #852339 05/27/15 12:26 AM
OP Offline
Will do. smile

Fanfic Lady #852351 05/27/15 09:03 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Maybe Lash could promote fan fics here on the LW Facebook page? There are people there who aren't members of the forums who might stop by to check out the stuff people are writing

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Fanfic Lady #852369 05/27/15 10:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

Thanks for the support, Fanfie and Sean and Georgehaze and Stalgie smile

Stalgie has also recently added some works set in the LMB-verse.

Fanfic Lady #852426 05/27/15 06:33 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Thank you, Mr. Retconnery, for the kind words. And please do also check out the in-progress works by Harbinger, Invisible Brainiac, Razsolo, and Omni whenever you have the chance.

First off Fanfic Lady thank you for the plug.

secondly,
I think you're right Fan fics have totally take the place of any actual series of comics for me and the ones on here have been amazing to read and it would be great to have more readers.

maybe there could be a poll or something taken amongst the writes and artist who want to do a collaboration for splash page or a roll call page for those who want to do it. then from there artist and writers are matched up? its a rough idea.

but i do know i'd love to see a roll call poster or page of what i've been working on and what others are working on.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Fanfic Lady #852437 05/27/15 08:42 PM
OP Offline
You're very welcome, Omni. And thank you for the suggestions.

Fanfic Lady #852459 05/28/15 08:25 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Since I like to be Helpful Girl, here's what I have found:

There is a site called Archive of Our Own, or AO3, which shares fanfics across all sorts of genres. Here is the Legion page:

http://archiveofourown.org/tags/Legion%20of%20Super%20Heroes%20-%20All%20Media%20Types/works

Show me the monkey!
Fanfic Lady #852473 05/28/15 10:42 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Sue Pergirl.

The name rings a bell. IIRC, I did sign up with them a few years ago, but "life happened" and I never followed up.

Fanfic Lady #852822 05/31/15 10:50 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Good job starting this thread Fanfic Lady!

To be totally honest, I have never really been into reading or writing fanfic generally...I started my own series just as a writing exercise to get myself used to maintaining a regular serial-type storyline as I have a tendency to be all big on starting new ideas and then losing interest as soon as something new and shiny comes along, I find that I am pretty invested in my little Legion series a few years down the track now though and it's very encouraging seeing that other people read and enjoy it smile

I do think it helps to maintain interest in the Legion's world not only writing stuff myself, but also keeping up to date on the other awesome writers we have here on the boards so I think you're on to something in terms of putting out our own material rather than waiting for DC to come to the party!

Fanfic Lady #852823 06/01/15 12:08 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I'd love to help you out, FL. But I can't even manage to write regularly, and writing is actually far easier for me than drawing. As an artist, I wouldn't be much help to anyone. Oh, I think that with practice, my art is at least serviceable. (Same with my writing.) But I just have too much other stuff going on these days. I'd hate to lead somebody on with promises that I could produce what they wanted, then leave them in the lurch forever because of my short attention span. It's happened before, I'm afraid. shake

BTW, I often give at least brief reads to the fanfic here. I don't avoid commenting because I think the stories are bad. Far from it, I swear! It's that I'm usually reading fic which is about eras/incarnations of the group that I'm not familiar with. I don't really feel like I'm qualified to speak about the particulars under that circumstance.

Last edited by cleome48; 06/01/15 12:14 AM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Fanfic Lady #852828 06/01/15 06:01 AM
OP Offline
Cleome, Raz, thank you both for chiming in.

You've both addressed points which I think needed to be brought up:

1) LACK OF FAMILIARITY WITH CERTAIN ERAS

and

2) A WRITER'S DIFFICULTY IN MAINTAINING INTEREST

I struggled with the latter problem for years, leaving a trail of unfinished stories here at Bits. I don't think there's one all-purpose solution for all writers, but what I have found works for me is to impose a strict format for every arc: Prologue, 7 installments of roughly the same length each, Epilogue. I kind of look at it like doing a European-style 64-page standalone graphic novel each time. (That said, there is the possibility that the upcoming third arc of the Every-Boot may end up needing 14 installments, due to the scope of having almost the entire Post-Boot cast in one arc. We shall see.)

And regarding the issue of accessibility for readers unfamiliar with certain eras, I can certainly see where that might be an obstacle. That's one of the reasons why I chose the Legion circa 1979, immediately after the Omega incident, as the hub of the Every-Boot -- most of the characters are still familiar enough as their Cockrum/Grell era selves, but there's plenty of room for evolution and tweaking (for instance, the Nura in the Every-Boot acts a lot like the Baxter era Nura because that's my favorite Nura.)

Fanfic Lady #852830 06/01/15 06:51 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
2) A WRITER'S DIFFICULTY IN MAINTAINING INTEREST

I tend to write small fics for that reason, as I have a specific thought I want to explore, or, when I do longer fics, I have learned through bad experience that I should only post fic that I have already completed off-line, or that are as near as finished, so that I don't lose interest and leave anyone hanging (including myself, as an unfinished work just sort of nags at me and erodes my self-esteem).

I'm sure that sort of guideline isn't necessary for writers with more discipline than myself, but I tend to be pretty hit or miss on that score.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Fanfic Lady #852850 06/01/15 11:58 AM
OP Offline
I can relate, Set, for sure.

I do hope you might treat me and the other regular Bits writers to some more of your insightful comments.

Fanfic Lady #852909 06/01/15 11:08 PM
I understand the logic of not posting multi-chapters before you're finished. OTOH, if I hadn't posted work before it was complete, I would never have found out that some people really liked it-- even unfinished.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,009
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000