Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 66 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 65 66
Re: Official LSH 3 Worlds Thread #5 out (FINALLY!! - spoilers)
#68935 04/29/09 04:30 PM
Active
Active
2 comments on #4

will someone who has read this please explain how this and Adventure #0 can both happen?

Last page: No Way. this would create a 'grandfather rule' sort of time paradox.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#68936 04/29/09 05:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You mean like it did with him being Cos?

And with the whole...

If the Legion 3 hadn't gone back in time and brought Clark to the future, they would've never inspired him to become Superman, and thus he would never have inspired them into becoming the Legion

#68937 04/29/09 05:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I believe I speak for us all when I say HOLY SH!T!!! That ending!
Nope, I'm more of a "so?" Last page took the edge of what had begun to get me interested in the read.

Even with the non-stop fighting, this issue as opposed to the last moved the plot along for me with connected pieces except the reasoning behind why Drake would be the one that needed to pick the crystal and how convenient it was that he was there. Not sure if there was a reason given for why it had to be him. Does he have some connection to Clone-boy?

I still am not clear why someone the power of p-boy would be afraid of second powers like Bart and the clone?

Drake had my favorite line: "The Debate Club's alive." Kind of reflects the message boards' feelings on those three.

Bart's reintro came off logical. I had to read it a couple times to get it but it makes sense to me.

Sunboy's intro also I thought well done, though I'm not clear why this character was picked for special handling, he also doesn't seem to have any historical connection to the plot?

Tao's report, who was it saying that last line? "The LSH have always appeared unified ...I've seen them anything but." Was that meant to be a recording of Myg or is there another person in the background?

Well, that's all I got. My summary is much more Legioney and less GLey.

#68938 04/29/09 06:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I would guess the interesting conjecture at this point would be what reasons will be offered up for Prime having grabbed a time-slice and creating another Superboy? If it were necessary to make a TT reveal (though I find it a bit egocentric for a peripheral Legion writer to do ) it seems to me an obvious connection/twist for choosing Prime to be TT. His reasonings, I'm not coming up with anything.

#68939 04/29/09 06:22 PM
Honorary
Honorary
#4 was okay at best for me. Nothing spectacular, aside from the unorthodox twist at the end. I concur with the sentiment that there was more Legion love than the GL or Flash legacy pandering.

A little disappointed when Superboy-Prime chucked a piece of Kryptonite through one of my favorite Legionnaires, but I expected as much when Johns is channeling his inner 'Roxxas the Butcher.' Goes to show that the other Legions besides the Earth-0 Legion are just there for cannon fodder.

As for the bit with Tao the newscaster, the quote was most probably spoken dialogue from Myg recorded prior his demise by Radiation Roy.

Now for some theories about the Threeboot Legion. In #3, Brainy-0 explains the effects of time travel to Threeboot Brainy because of his Legion's interactions with Supergirl. Then in #4, Threeboot Element Lad transmutes debris into Kryptonite adjacent to Superboy-Prime and it affects the villain. Could the Threeboot Earth be Earth-Prime? If it is, it only confirms my suspicions.

How many times do I have to die?!?
#68940 04/29/09 06:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ibn al-Nezumi:
A little disappointed when Superboy-Prime chucked a piece of Kryptonite through one of my favorite Legionnaires, but I expected as much when Johns is channeling his inner 'Roxxas the Butcher.' Goes to show that the other Legions besides the Earth-0 Legion are just there for cannon fodder.
So basically 3B Brainy was right. I guess Johns was making a little jab at himself for killing off so many characters.

#68941 04/29/09 07:12 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I didn't enjoy this issue.

Like, at all.

When Geoff Johns and Brad Meltzer introduced their version of the Legion during Lighting Saga, I was intrigued. Not over-the-top excited, but I saw possibilities there. Having recently reread that storyline, I enjoyed it much more.

When Geoff Johns then went and fleshed out the current state of that Legion in his Action Comics story arc, I was thrilled. It became my favorite comic for the remainder of the Johns/Frank run. I loved what Johns was doing with the Legion--it was new and exciting.

When the first preview images for the Legion of Three Worlds series came out, I was ecstatic. I could not wait. I thought it was absolutely the best thing ever, and I knew I'd love it, and that Johns and Perez would do justice to the other Legions, even though it would almost likely mean focusing on the Legion Johns obviously preferred. I even turned the preview pages into a fancy animated thing , even though I knew absolutely nothing about Photoshop at the time, which meant that I slaved over it for days. But I didn't care, because...ecstatic!

When the first issue of Legion of Three Worlds came out, I was in love. They captured what I thought was great about the Legion, the artwork was gorgeous, and they even remembered that R.J. Brande was The Durlan from L.E.G.I.O.N. It was perfect, and it immediately felt like it would be the perfect book, both as a Crisis tie-in and as the next chapter in the Legion story.

When the second issue came out, I was...still in love, but not as much. The art seemed...a bit sloppier. But the characters, they were strong! Rond Vidar was used to great effect, making the reader care about him (even if they'd never heard of him before). The Legions were reunited! It was a glorious day. And the last-page reveal gave the book a greater sense of importance.

When the third issue came out, I was a bit bored, but still hopeful. It wasn't bad, but I didn't really feel like it was good, either. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Bart's return was about as well-done as could be expected, I guess, even if it didn't fit in with the clues presented in the Lighting Saga. What bothered me, though, was the way Johns presented the other Legions as inferior cannon fodder. What was even the purpose, then? Why bother?</span></span> And the art, the art was getting worse--especially that last page. George Perez was better than that! I started to worry.

By the time the fourth issue came out, I just...didn't care. To be fair, my comic shop had closed in between issues, and I'd adjusted to simply reading trades, so I wasn't as excited about books coming out currently--but still, I made it a point to get this issue. And...I think that Geoff Johns may have killed the excitement and love I had for the Legion. I just don't care anymore. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It's formulaic. The other two Legions are portrayed as worthless and killed off, until the members of the Johns-favored Legion show up to save the day--and be saved from any danger--at the last minute. And then a Johns-written character shows up at the end of the issue to be even more important to the series than the Legion is. As for the Time Trapper reveal? What does it add to the Legion mythology? I feel as if an important part of the Legion has been cut off, simply to serve the story of Superboy-Prime. It doesn't feel necessary.</span></span>

Unless the final issue completely reverses my opinion...I don't know if I'll be buying Adventure Comics. I love the Legion, I really do--or at least, I did. I own almost every issue in at least one form or another, as I'm sure many of you do as well. But this series? It is not what I love about the Legion. This is a Geoff Johns event, not a Legion event--and it's not even a particularly good Geoff Johns event, which I could forgive.

I don't slight writers for killing off characters, or for changing the focus of things. I want to make that clear. I'm willing to follow a book, even if I don't immediately agree with something that is done, even if I'm not fond of a new direction. But what I do have a problem with is poorly done comics, and Legion of Three Worlds has become just that.

#68942 04/29/09 08:25 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I have to agree with you shanealt. I've read the Legion since 1970 and I have to say that between Legion #50 and the final page of issue #4 of Legion of 3 Worlds, that DC must really want to destroy the Legion. I'm begining to think that Dan Dido hates them for some reason.

#68943 04/29/09 08:49 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
We lose some Legionnaires, two...
Which two? Spoilers please.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#68944 04/29/09 08:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Zoe and 3B Jan</span></span>

#68945 04/29/09 09:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm seeing where all kinds of folks have read the issue. Has it come out? Cause my LCS knows that Legion is one book they don't miss, and I haven't seen it.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#68946 04/29/09 09:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes. The book came out today.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge </span></span>

#68947 04/29/09 09:27 PM
S
Active
Active
S
That's kind of frustrating to hear. What did <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Zoe</span></span> ever do to deserve such a fate?

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#68948 04/29/09 09:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I dunno. But I can tell you this, I would love it for Mordru to suffer painful convulsions after absorbing the Hypertaxis energy, and when he expels it she's back to her cute, floaty-haired self.

#68949 04/29/09 09:35 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by shanealt:
I didn't enjoy this issue.

Like, at all.

When Geoff Johns and Brad Meltzer introduced their version of the Legion during Lighting Saga, I was intrigued. Not over-the-top excited, but I saw possibilities there. Having recently reread that storyline, I enjoyed it much more.

When Geoff Johns then went and fleshed out the current state of that Legion in his Action Comics story arc, I was thrilled. It became my favorite comic for the remainder of the Johns/Frank run. I loved what Johns was doing with the Legion--it was new and exciting.

When the first preview images for the Legion of Three Worlds series came out, I was ecstatic. I could not wait. I thought it was absolutely the best thing ever, and I knew I'd love it, and that Johns and Perez would do justice to the other Legions, even though it would almost likely mean focusing on the Legion Johns obviously preferred. I even turned the preview pages into a fancy animated thing , even though I knew absolutely nothing about Photoshop at the time, which meant that I slaved over it for days. But I didn't care, because...ecstatic!

When the first issue of Legion of Three Worlds came out, I was in love. They captured what I thought was great about the Legion, the artwork was gorgeous, and they even remembered that R.J. Brande was The Durlan from L.E.G.I.O.N. It was perfect, and it immediately felt like it would be the perfect book, both as a Crisis tie-in and as the next chapter in the Legion story.

When the second issue came out, I was...still in love, but not as much. The art seemed...a bit sloppier. But the characters, they were strong! Rond Vidar was used to great effect, making the reader care about him (even if they'd never heard of him before). The Legions were reunited! It was a glorious day. And the last-page reveal gave the book a greater sense of importance.

When the third issue came out, I was a bit bored, but still hopeful. It wasn't bad, but I didn't really feel like it was good, either. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Bart's return was about as well-done as could be expected, I guess, even if it didn't fit in with the clues presented in the Lighting Saga. What bothered me, though, was the way Johns presented the other Legions as inferior cannon fodder. What was even the purpose, then? Why bother?</span></span> And the art, the art was getting worse--especially that last page. George Perez was better than that! I started to worry.

By the time the fourth issue came out, I just...didn't care. To be fair, my comic shop had closed in between issues, and I'd adjusted to simply reading trades, so I wasn't as excited about books coming out currently--but still, I made it a point to get this issue. And...I think that Geoff Johns may have killed the excitement and love I had for the Legion. I just don't care anymore. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It's formulaic. The other two Legions are portrayed as worthless and killed off, until the members of the Johns-favored Legion show up to save the day--and be saved from any danger--at the last minute. And then a Johns-written character shows up at the end of the issue to be even more important to the series than the Legion is. As for the Time Trapper reveal? What does it add to the Legion mythology? I feel as if an important part of the Legion has been cut off, simply to serve the story of Superboy-Prime. It doesn't feel necessary.</span></span>

Unless the final issue completely reverses my opinion...I don't know if I'll be buying Adventure Comics. I love the Legion, I really do--or at least, I did. I own almost every issue in at least one form or another, as I'm sure many of you do as well. But this series? It is not what I love about the Legion. This is a Geoff Johns event, not a Legion event--and it's not even a particularly good Geoff Johns event, which I could forgive.

I don't slight writers for killing off characters, or for changing the focus of things. I want to make that clear. I'm willing to follow a book, even if I don't immediately agree with something that is done, even if I'm not fond of a new direction. But what I do have a problem with is poorly done comics, and Legion of Three Worlds has become just that.
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">My point exactly. That's when Johns becomes unoriginal to me. The story's too derivative. Like retreading familiar ground. Don't get me wrong. It's well-written, has great character bits, sports solid art, and is epic in scope. But this is the Legion. It should be about the future and progressing it with new ideas, not mining stories from the past.

I also don't like the fact that Legion-247 and the Threeboot Legion are treated like castoffs because they aren't just mere duplicates from parallel universes. They became characters in their own right and when they're not treated as such, it's disrespectful to the creators and readers who've taken the time and effort to build and establish their worlds. I fear the worse has yet to come in #5, when Johns the Butcher has his field day.</span></span>

How many times do I have to die?!?
#68950 04/29/09 09:54 PM
Leader
Leader
I was glad they killed her. She was annoying and her powers/appearance changed with each um appearance. She was fill in the blank girl and I'm glad she's gone. Case in point, didn't she lose her magic-based powers some time and several incarnations ago?

I noticed Dirk was called Drake in one panel and Starbaby from Adv. 338 looks like he's colored black like 3-boot Star Boy.

Some of the artwork was not up to George's usual snuff, particularly Brin's and Jan's faces at the top of page . . . 3! (What does the comics God have against page numbers?)

I was relieved that Sodam Yutz had a very minor role, but also perplexed, as they seemed to be gearing him up to save the day last issue.

All the speed force stuff confuses and annoys me. Why does it have to involve the Legion?

I prefer to think of the Timetrapper as an entity, or even a force of nature, not a person in a hood. I'd like to think a being as powerful, unfathomable, and paradoxical as he can become anyone he wants to, and I hope that proves to be the case. Maybe he's just putting on his current face to screw with our heroes' minds?

I'm reminded of that "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Superman 2-parter, before Byrne rebooted him, where Mxyzptlk asks Superman, "Do you really think a being who can do anything would really choose to be a funny little man in a silly hat?" or something like that.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#68951 04/29/09 10:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes, there is the possibility he's just taking that form to mess with them. You never know. Personally, I perferred Kinetix before she became Giraffe Girl. I think that might've been Tyroc, actually, but it's still a mistake that he's threre anyway.

#68952 04/29/09 10:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Um, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but when Light Lass unearths the Chrysalis, did anyone else see:

"STARMAN WAS HERE" and a star with a smiley face written on it.

#68953 04/29/09 11:43 PM
Active
Active
I love George Pérez art (it doesn't look sloppy at all), but this is Johns at his worst. Superboy-Prime is still the lamest character ever conceived, and this issue was another proof of its lame-ness.
Johns also managed to kill more characters in this series than Keith has killed Karate Kids. And I think I saw <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Quislet, in page 15</span></span> killed too, so there are 3 wasted corpses.
Now we know why Polar Poy lost his arm... There's a whole bunch of nonsense to explain the return of more lame characters which were never interesting in the first place, Superman is kind of like a punchy sort of guy (not a leader or a hero, but someone who loves punching, cos that's what he does best in a Johns book).
Hopefully, Geoff will be so busy that they will call Busiek or Giffen to solve this mess of a Legion. So far, this is the Legion which is just about punching costumed villains and using different spandex.
And don't even get me started on the last page. We here knew it from the begining (just read some of the early posts).

ADD: Actually, the best thing about it was Animal Man's preview. Chris Batista is doing his best Brian Bolland ever...

#68954 04/30/09 03:45 AM
Active
Active
i was probably the LEAST impressed with this one, but it still had cute moments. "debate club" was really cute. i was so so scared they'd kill them...hahaha but i think those guys are favorites across the board.

for some reason, i thought element lad was who shooter was going to kill off. i wonder if this is follow through for that?

i wasn't impressed with the end reveal, i'm not sure WHY, i guess i don't have a big history with Time trapper so i was kind of "whatever" but not a sort of "angry whatever" more like "well i didn't really care either way! let's go!" sort of way.

i DID think this tied up things very nicely, the lightning saga stuff and what starman's purpose over in JSA has been hinting towards and what polar boy's mission was. i felt this was the "explanation" issue. it makes sense given that it's 5 issues long. this is the explanation, next there's more fighty then the wrap up.

i think prime is supposed to be really annoying and repugnant. he's supposed to be an annoying fanboy and he sounds just like that to me. it's not like the people around him think he's cool, he's supposed to be really lame and violent.

i think you guys are confusing things here. he's a bad guy. yes, we're generally used to bad guys being sort of alluring and cool. he's a bad guy that's gross and not cool yet still violent. the general stupidity of his ultra violence is... the opposite of what the legion is. they don't kill, he kills everything. come on, symbolism!

i loved bart trading stupid lines with him. to me, hes' a great counterpoint to prime as well. ALSO immature, ALSO kind of dumb, but the good side of it. his hugs with jenni really got to me, i thought that was the best drawn part of the issue.

again, perez isn't my style, so...many lines ;__;! i think i would like his style so much more if there was less hatching ;_________;!! but i think his paneling was good.

#68955 04/30/09 05:11 AM
Active
Active
I also don't like the fact that Legion-247 and the Threeboot Legion are treated like castoffs because they aren't just mere duplicates from parallel universes. They became characters in their own right and when they're not treated as such, it's disrespectful to the creators and readers who've taken the time and effort to build and establish their worlds. I fear the worse has yet to come in #5, when Johns the Butcher has his field day.
DDiD said right from the start that coming out of Lo3W would be one Legion. So it is no surprise that the reboot and threboot are going to be his.What is shocking is the brutalprime-fest in the manner in which the Titans were reduced a couple of years ago.

I had expected a glorious mass sacrifice or even a merger of thee Garths etc to leave one surviving. Clearly XS is going to survive why not all the other no-doppleganger characters?

what is even more galling with the deaths is that there are 50? 100? villains all wha have hated the Legion for years but only prime is able to kill off Legionnaires. Bizarre.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#68956 04/30/09 09:37 AM
T
Active
Active
T
The Time Trapper reveal? Lame. Making your two main villains turn out to be the same person is just too neat. Saw it coming.

The threeboot appears to be the future of Earth-Prime? Lots of fans suspected this early in Waid's run, but Kitson confirmed on this board that wasn't the intention. For Johns to replace a previous writer's intent with fan theories isn't just taking the easy way out. It's further proof (not that I needed any) that he's a Promoted Fanboy, and that he listens to what (other) fans say too often. A good writer should come up with ideas that weren't already obvious to the readers.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#68957 04/30/09 10:28 AM
Leader
Leader
Why combine 2 villains into 1 anyway? It only limits your options/causes confusion the next time you need one. Let's see, I think I'll use <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Superboy Prime</span></span> BEFORE he became the Timetrapper for this story, since I already used him AFTER he became the Timetrapper last issue.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#68958 04/30/09 11:50 AM
Active
Active
Haven't read the issue, but that reveals does seem very lame. I mean, Superboy Prime isn't really your "thinking" type of villain, something the Trapper has always kinda been. They are just two very different villain types and personality types and I have a hard time imagining one morphing into the other.

I'll wait and see, but to me it sounds really lazy and weak, and I do expect more from Johns. but really, Prime as the Time Trapper, yuck, it just isn't working for me AT ALL.

Long Live the Legion!
#68959 04/30/09 11:54 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
The threeboot appears to be the future of Earth-Prime? Lots of fans suspected this early in Waid's run, but Kitson confirmed on this board that wasn't the intention. For Johns to replace a previous writer's intent with fan theories isn't just taking the easy way out.
Wait...What?!?! I obviously missed this cause the kryptonite thing in Lo3Ws' had me confused somethin fierce. Is that what he was trying to do with that? O_o That's just...well that's just stupid honestly.

I mean I love the legion and there are parts of this story that I just don't get and never will. Then again it's also the only book I'm buying right now and prolly will be one of the last books I buy.

Page 43 of 66 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,830
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star