Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/05/24 07:54 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/05/24 07:18 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/05/24 02:14 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/05/24 02:09 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/05/24 02:09 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/05/24 02:07 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/05/24 02:07 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 29 May 24
by Harbinger - 06/05/24 01:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reimagining the Legion Villains
#84390 11/11/04 10:07 AM
Candidate
OP Offline
Candidate
I don’t know if I’m in the minority about this, but I hope this new Legion series tells new stories instead of recycling storylines from previous eras. I’m not even sure if I want to see the same villains from the pre/post boot ZH eras. While the Legion has a wealth of great villains, I would prefer not to see the likes of the Fatal Five, Universo or (ESPECIALLY) Darkseid. And should Mordru return anytime soon, he’d more effective if he’s portrayed as the sinister, manipulative tyrant he was during the Giffbaum period. He was more evil when he tortured Rond Vidar and destroyed his Green Lantern power ring than he was when he destroyed the planet Sklar postZH.

I can see the Legion coming into conflict with SOME old school Legion villains - the Khunds and Dominators come to mind immediately; I also liked the Giffbaum’s interpretation of the Dark Circle as a galaxy wide cult... it made the Circle more sinister than just a cabal plotting galactic domination. (Wouldn’t it be interesting if this time the Dark Circle was created as a villainous reponse to the Legion movement? Maybe led by Nemesis Kid? Does the Legion of Super Villains HAVE to be the Legion’s evil counterpart?) I also thought Glorith had potential to be an ominous Legion villain - but (A) lose the Valor infatuation - it’s sexist to think a woman as powerful as she was would be motivated by a man; and (B) craft her in the vein of the pre-ZH Emerald Empress, or George Perez’s Circe. Evil and elegant with no redeeming qualities, without the histrionics pre-ZH Glorith displayed.

And PLEASE: no time tripping stories! Let the Legion stay and grow in their natural 31st century environment - there’s too much potential to have 21st/31st century interaction every few issues.

Just a few random thoughts I have as I eagerly await the return of the Legion. This comic is going to ROCK!

Any comments are greatly appreciated and welcome.

What was I thinking about?
Re: Reimagining the Legion Villains
#84391 11/11/04 11:02 AM
strange but not a stranger
At Dallas, Mark Waid specifically stated that they would not be using any of the old villians.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#84392 11/11/04 12:35 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Mordru is the most interesting case, to me, because he has been so thorougly incorporated into the 21st century universe via JSA -- company policy would seem to REQUIRE that he pop up at sometime.

I too loved the TMK version of Mordru -- his villainy seemed well-grounded in his political objectives. What I can't stand about Mordru is that he is magical, and that just doesn't seem to work with the Legion and their naturally scientific bent, especially in their new incarnation. Perhaps at some point he can be used, and the absence (?) of magic in the "new" 31st century makes his appearance all the more threatening.

I too would be happy without any of the other classic Legion villains. The villains, whomever they are, should flow out of the socio-cultural and personal environment of the new Legion. I heartily second E.'s suggestion of a new Dark Circle/LSV that arises as a reaction to the Legion's outspoken role in society.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#84393 11/11/04 01:04 PM
Also at Dallas, it was said that there were 7500 Legionnaires. Basically anyone who says "I'm a Legionnaire" would be one. Basically, there is a core belief among the Legionnaires. They hinted about a story idea of what if some believe something slightly different.

(speculation on my part) That could result in a LSV.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#84394 11/11/04 03:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
so we are going to see a schisim in the church of Legion then Quis?

That actually could be a really good story, and tie into your LSV idea. After all look at the way Catholic and Protestant hurt each other down the centuries.

Throw in some other major religious or cultist activity, say the dark circle, and you could have some really dark stories.

Faithfull
#84395 11/11/04 04:43 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I think the pan-galatic Legion must have taken some time to evolve. So some of the Legionnaires will have contacts throughout the galaxy. That would account for the mega membership figure ... followers rather than active Legionnaires. But, it it has inspired such a following, you can bet it has also invoked a counter Legion among conservative youth, standing by their parents values.

This anti-Legion could by quasi-military in outlook, and if it attracts super-powered members, might be effective opposition for the Legion. An ideologigal enemy rather than a straight good versus evil fight ... a battle for minds and souls.

Some of the Legion's past adversaries would fit in ... Nemesis Kid, even some traditional stalwarts of the Legion might feel the pull of the orthodox anti-Legion. Could lead to some interesting dilemmas . . . I just hope there isnt as much angst as the various X-kids have had to deal with over the decades ... it starts to bore after a while.

Is it really only November?

#84396 11/11/04 06:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by E.:
[QB] I don’t know if I’m in the minority about this, but I hope this new Legion series tells new stories instead of recycling storylines from previous eras.
Defintely, E. That was one of my major complaints about the reboot Legion. I didn't want to see the same old stories in a new manner. It doesn't seem like something we're going to see with Waid and Kitson.

And PLEASE: no time tripping stories! Let the Legion stay and grow in their natural 31st century environment - there’s too much potential to have 21st/31st century interaction every few issues.
One thing I really hated was when half the Legion was stuck in the 20th century. It just didn't work for me at all since it dragged on forever. Most preboot Legion stories were set firmly in the 30th century where they belonged.

Dan
#84397 11/11/04 07:57 PM
Candidate
OP Offline
Candidate
[QUOTE]Originally posted by doublechinner:
[QB] Mordru is the most interesting case, to me, because he has been so thorougly incorporated into the 21st century universe via JSA -- company policy would seem to REQUIRE that he pop up at sometime.

I don't follow JSA... one thing I'm wondering - does Mordru still retain any ties to Amethyst and the Gemworld? Just curious, although I did like that aspect preboot.

I too loved the TMK version of Mordru -- his villainy seemed well-grounded in his political objectives.

That's why I think if he's brought back this time around, that particular version would make for great conflict in this supposed "Utopian" 31st century environment.

What I can't stand about Mordru is that he is magical, and that just doesn't seem to work with the Legion and their naturally scientific bent, especially in their new incarnation. Perhaps at some point he can be used, and the absence (?) of magic in the "new" 31st century makes his appearance all the more threatening.

How WILL magic be addressed this time around? I'd like to see the White Witch turn up sometime in the future... I rather enjoyed the contrast between magic and (pre-boot) 30th century science. I was probably the only one who actually enjoyed the Magic Wars storyline!

What was I thinking about?
#84398 11/11/04 08:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by E.:

I don't follow JSA... one thing I'm wondering - does Mordru still retain any ties to Amethyst and the Gemworld? Just curious, although I did like that aspect preboot.
Yes, I believe the ties are still there. Flaw and Child even showed up in the last JSA arc to feature Mordru.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#84399 11/12/04 02:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We may not see the old villains, even re-imagined, but I think it may be difficult to come up with entirely new villain concepts. Maybe not - but over four decades, we've seen most of the archetypes - from thieves to mad magicians to galactic conquerers. It may be difficult to resist comparing whoever or whatever the Legion will be fighting with previous stories and characters.

I would think magic could have a great role in the new series - not as a dominant theme, but within the context of a character such as the White Witch, or a storyline. What we've seen of this 31st century is a tightly controlled society , possibly one which approaches any problem with a technical solution only (gene therapy for weight control as opposed to counselling or meditation). Throw in some magic - good or bad - and they'll be flummoxed.

Maybe the magicians of Zerox could appear as an outcast group that works with the Legion on occasion.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#84400 11/12/04 02:59 AM
Applicant
Applicant
7500 members. Where did this come from?

#84401 11/12/04 06:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by bryan:
7500 members. Where did this come from?
The Legion is a movement rather than a team. I seems like it's the core team who are the super-heroes.

Dan
#84402 11/13/04 12:54 AM
Honorary
Honorary
What I don't understand is why they wouldn't reimangine some of hte Legion villains. I mean, if they are going to reimagine the Legion itself, it makes sense to me to reimagine their counterpoints; Mordru, The fatal Five, The Lgion of Super-Villains, etc.

I think theat Cham55 might be on to something. It might also be the perfect time to reintroduce Nemesis Kid, the one truly great character that wasn't reintroduced in the Reboot. Maybe its becasue I like the whole Judas aspect of it, but I think it would be great to be in the know that here is this character that will betray the Legion cause, but everyone thinks here's this great hero in the core team. It could have devestating affects on the whole Legion movement.

-j.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
#84403 11/13/04 01:02 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by EuroMutt:
I mean, if they are going to reimagine the Legion itself, it makes sense to me to reimagine their counterpoints; Mordru, The fatal Five, The Lgion of Super-Villains, etc.
At the very *hic* least, Dr. Mayavale!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,910
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Matter Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Arachne
Arachne
Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star