Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/17/24 11:37 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 11:09 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 11:08 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 11:08 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/17/24 10:20 AM
Why he was arrested.
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 03:18 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Final Crisis # 6 Preview (spoilers)
#17628 01/19/09 02:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, since it DOES take longer than 76 seconds, and reality IS unravelling around them, (as per Supes dissolving and all), maybe Brainy does have to concentrate just to remember the combination because it is ceasing to exist in his reality.

#17629 01/19/09 03:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
um, why is reality unravelling again? Darkseid's just trying to take over earth...i don't see the threat to reality.

#17630 01/19/09 04:03 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Silly Disaster Boy! Reality is unraveling because Grant Morrison SAYS so! And it's Grant Morrison's multiverse -- we just read about it!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#17631 01/19/09 05:55 PM
H
Applicant
Applicant
H
OK, I'm still new to Legion, but - just because you're ridiculously smart doesn't mean you don't need to concentrate on things. Perhaps the sequence is more complex than we're seeing in static illustrations.

#17632 01/19/09 07:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Hypno Lad:
Perhaps the sequence is more complex than we're seeing in static illustrations.
I can think of at least two characterizations that are not working for ME.

Brainy, any version of Brainy, is the same intelligence as the reboot who downloaded the entire invader construct's data into his own brain because the SPs were about to confiscate the Legion computers. Same type of data encoding.

The other, even if Brainy, any Brainy had to concentrate, he wouldn't likely admit it.

#17633 01/19/09 07:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
OK, I'm still new to Legion, but - just because you're ridiculously smart doesn't mean you don't need to concentrate on things. Perhaps the sequence is more complex than we're seeing in static illustrations.
ok i will try to concentrate now. no promises tho. ; )

#17634 01/19/09 11:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree with you. I had no problem with that scene.

#17635 01/20/09 03:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Silly Disaster Boy! Reality is unraveling because Grant Morrison SAYS so! And it's Grant Morrison's multiverse -- we just read about it!
and he has a thing for guns!

#17636 01/21/09 12:18 AM
Substitute
Substitute
if the pattern on the tiles is *that* complicated that Brainy has to concentrate, the sequence would have to be STUPIDLY long, and involve use of a flight ring, AND time travel, *AND* the use of the storage tesseracts, **AND** the use of two, possibly all three of Lu's bodies for the extra feet for him to remember it.

plus if it was *that* hard, it'd take him longer than a few second to do it. Therefore, longer than 76 seconds. Handy how these multiverse time dilations always give them *more* time for stupid dialogue.

#17637 01/21/09 10:19 AM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
Sales on Legion of Three Worlds are less than I'd expect from a big event book, and not much higher than V5 started out.
Originally posted by stephbarton:
I don't think Legion of Three Worlds is disappointing in sales, considering how FC is selling and the Superman arc sold I think sales are pretty strong.
I just thought I'd get back to this.

Because I don't have much interest in what's currently going on in most DC titles, I hadn't been following their sales. Then I just saw http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14111.html Whoa. Overall sales are down from what I remember. There's no ongoing selling above 100000. Compare to, for example, http://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1737 or http://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1692 And even that's less than I remember 2006 sales being, but...

I thought the industry was in a period of slight growth.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#17638 01/21/09 02:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[b]Sales on Legion of Three Worlds are less than I'd expect from a big event book, and not much higher than V5 started out.
Originally posted by stephbarton:
I don't think Legion of Three Worlds is disappointing in sales, considering how FC is selling and the Superman arc sold I think sales are pretty strong.
I just thought I'd get back to this.

Because I don't have much interest in what's currently going on in most DC titles, I hadn't been following their sales. Then I just saw http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14111.html Whoa. Overall sales are down from what I remember. There's no ongoing selling above 100000. Compare to, for example, http://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1737 or http://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1692 And even that's less than I remember 2006 sales being, but...

I thought the industry was in a period of slight growth. [/b]
The slight increases are in both Dollar amounts and Volume, but not necessarily in individual series. The top half of the chart has been falling off, but Diamond's 300th spot cut-off has been increasing, meaning the strength is somewhere in the middle of the chart. I suspect this is more to do with the sheer number of titles, rather than stellar performances of the middle tier group (If you look at the sales thread, LSH only lost 800 readers but plunged 30 positions in the rankings, due mainly to a glut of titles dumped out there by mostly Marvel and DC).

I suspect we'll see even that growth stunted this year as readers and retailers cut back. A lot of the stuff that retailers get to go on the shelf, or is picked up as a casual buy by readers, will probably take a hit.

#17639 01/28/09 04:32 PM
Active
Active
RE : The Miracle Machine in FC 7 and a spoiler:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">
Superman doesn't actually use the Legion's Miracle Machine...he builds a new one from memory with the help of the other heroes and Sivana and Luthor. Unlike the original which seemed to have unlimited usage, this one only has the power to grant one wish.

Superman wishes for a happy ending :lol

</span></span>

#17640 01/28/09 04:43 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

As you say dc, all Morrison had to do was acknowledge the Miracle Machine's past with the Legion and then have Brainy explain that the only way to cure Matter-Eater Lad's insanity was to have Tenzil use it's power to recreate the machine and put all (or most) of it's power back into it or something. And knowing its potential for disaster, he kept that a secret until now. Blah, Blah, Blah.
I agree with this. I've never understood the need for the tweaks writers do to classic concepts, as if somehow they are going to make it better with their tweak, or perhaps more their own. But I usually chalk it up to a screwup at first...and I've learned it's much better if they just admit it was a screwup than if they obstinately try to pretend it wasn't and justify it as a needed change or new continuity.

But I will say this sort of screwup has always happened and indeed much of the Legions' own continuity is founded upon(fixing in story) these sorts of screwups.

The difference between then and now...back then they'd tell a story so the inconsistency would make sense. In fact you could say the DC multiverse itself is a product of this philosophy, where they challenged their own sci-fi prowess and IQ. Now they just pretend the stuff they don't like or don't want to fix never happened, and that's why comics are no longer the medium of imagination they were and still could be at their best.

Believe it or not, that's what I like about Johns. His record if of making everything fit or at least most of the good stuff.

I can still think of a hundred ways to make the scene from FC 6 fit with the established Pre Crisis continuity(even though it's been established this isn't truly the Pre Crisis Legion).

Best reason? The Legion knows Superman's future and they know something is going to happen to Superman to where he would be tempted to use the Miracle Machine to alter that fate, and so they erased all memory of the Miracle Machine from his mind. The machine itself still existing, as others have said, they could have pulled that one off many ways as well.

#17641 01/30/09 05:59 AM
Active
Active
According to Grant Morrison on Newsarama
NRAMA: Speaking of Superman Beyond – how does the timeline work between Beyond, Final Crisis and Legion of 3 Worlds?

GM: The Monitrix Zillo Valla recruits Superman’s help in Final Crisis #3 which leads into Superman Beyond #1 and 2, both of which happen in the space between Lois’ final heartbeats. He returns to save her in Beyond #2, only to be contacted by the Legion of Super-Heroes to deal with an emergency in the 31st Century – as seen in Legion of 3 Worlds #1. Normally, the Legion is able to return him to his own time an instant after he left, so naturally he feels secure quitting Earth after saving Lois. After his encounter with Superboy Prime in LO3W, however, he returns late to Final Crisis #6, to find time has crashed, Darkseid rules the world and Batman is dead. Oops.

Fortunately, he brings with him the means to save us all.
In other words Final Crisis 6 is after Lo3W 5. DDiD has stated categorically that only one Legion remains after Lo3W and so this is a preview of which Querl survives, and presumably which Legion. Ready for Adventure Comics #1.... or not, as the case may be.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#17642 01/30/09 10:47 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Wait, 'Monitrix?' Wow. I didn't know that 'Monitor' was gender specific.

Perhaps she should call herself The Amazing She-Monitor? Or perhaps refer to herself as the distaff Monitor?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#17643 01/31/09 11:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<snarky comment>After reading Final Crisis to it's conclusion, I have to say that explaining the existence of the Miracle Machine in wake of it's past history would have made the series too confusing to readers - which everyone can agree is NOT Final Crisis! I'm so glad they didn't try to do anything like give it a back story or make it substantial beyond, here is my deus ex machina.

And let's hear it for not completing L3W before Final Crisis #6. Excellent work DC!</snarky comment>

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,228
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
CatShifter, Dream Girl, Tymann
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star