Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Why doesn't anyone here say 'chuffed', damnit?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/07/24 04:48 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/07/24 04:45 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/07/24 04:43 PM
Pattern Recognition
by rickshaw1 - 06/07/24 03:47 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 06/07/24 10:31 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/07/24 09:46 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/07/24 08:20 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The ALL-Let's talk about the positive aspects of Mark and Barry's run thread!
#25720 03/20/07 11:22 AM
Deputy
Deputy
In honor of Mark and Barry's departure, I picked up the first 3 trades and have been re-reading from the beginning. Damn, these stories were good. No doubt that since Supergirl made the scene things have slowed down, but I think that was the result of a) Waid's work on "52" and b) the need to calibrate the LSH story with "52." That is perhaps regretable, but I think at most we've had 1 issue too many of strung-out stuff. These days, that doesn't seem like a lot to complain about. And man, I cannot believe any of us complained about the non-Kitson artists. They did a great job.

So, here's my list so far:

Bad Ass Cosmic Boy -- you may not like him all the time, but damn he's a fine leader and this team has needed that.

Best.Brainiac.5.Ever. -- It shows that this is Waid's favorite character. Can't help but think Waid imagines himself talking to us when he writes Querl's dialogue.

Sun Boy -- It is too bad he's been gone so long, but Mark and Barry have made him the character he always should have been -- a charismatic Apollo of a leader. If any character deserved some time in the sun (sorry) after the last 20 years, it's Dirk.

Element Lad -- I know that's controversial, and I haven't liked everything about him, but I think the reduced, limited power is a very good thing, especially after the DnA run.

Phantom Girl -- Barry's costume has restored beauty and curves to the 31st century, and the character has a measure of the grace, charm and playfulness that were her hallmark under Cockrum and Bates (I did NOT like the Levitz PG at all!) I know Dave Cockrum is smiling from the great beyond.

Atom Girl -- Violet is one of the few current Legionnaires who has had a varied and interesting run over the last 20 years, but Mark and Barry found an original take on her that integrates some of the best stuff that Paul, Keith, the Bierbaums, etc. did with the character. I loved the idea of a team urban legend!

This is getting too long, so let's point out the other characters that Mark and Barry have just ACED in this new Legion:

Star Boy!
Karate Kid!
Shadow Lass!
Dream Girl! (sniff, I want her body back. In a good way.)
Timber Wolf!
Princess Projectra! (Check Book Lass!)
Light Lass!
Triplicate Girl!
Lightning Lad!
Mon-El!
Chameleon!
Colossal Boy! (OK, Gim, "Micro Lad")
Mekt!
and of course, Supergirl!

I look at that list, and I realize that's the heart and soul of the Legion, and a group of characters abused, misused and/or ignored for the better part of the last 20 years. Mark and Barry have restored the core of the Legion, reinvigorated it and updated it while keeping virtually everything most of us would consider essential about the characters. You look again at the character designs Barry shared with us (and are published in the first trade) and you realize Mark and Barry just GET these characters. Yes, I want Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad, too. But I am just so glad we have most of the Legion back, as good as or better than ever.

Thanks Mark and Barry.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Re: The ALL-Let's talk about the positive aspects of Mark and Barry's run thread!
#25721 03/20/07 11:27 AM
Deputy
Deputy
One more thing: the sex! These Legionnaires are sexy, the look sexy, and they have relationships, and all this happens without being gratuitous or out of character. Way to go!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#25722 03/20/07 12:45 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by doublechinner:
One more thing: the sex!
Where?! What did I miss? wink

#25723 03/20/07 04:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The art first and foremost was amazing. Best work of Barry's career that I've seen.

The majority of the costumes were great.

B5, Timberwolf, Shadow Lass, Shrinking Violet all rocked!

The character interaction and moments were fantastic.

I love the villains which I notice many others didn't. Terror Firma, Helter Skelter (was that his name?), the Wanderers, love the Science Police.

They also did a great job of building a strong base. Any writer can easily take this Legion and change things without worrying about a few 800 pound gorillas in the room. smile Well, ok Dream Girl is dead but besides that. wink

#25724 03/20/07 05:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
First and foremost, it got me back into reading the Legion, and not only that but acted as a launch-pad for reading more comics (i.e. got me back into comic-shops).

Second, the Brainy/Nura thing, all of it including the 'resurection' was pure genius. I only regret that it was not developed more, and I hope future writers will work on it... because it should make for some very good story telling.

Third, Barry Kitson. I love the new costumes, and the artwork was hands down beautiful.

Fourth, Micro Lad and Atom Girl... some very witty humor was tied to each... i.e. everyone calling Gim, Colossal Boy despite his protests, and Violets doubtful existence. Not to mention that the name Atom Girl was a nod to the Atom and all that... as least the way I see it.

Fifth, I really like Shady's relationship with Ultra Boy, and the advice her ex- Karate Kid provides, there was some fun interplay there.

Sixth, Invisible Kid's crush on Kara... which is really funny when compared to Power Boy's crush... is it something about her that attracts the stalker/creepy kind...

Seventh, Mon-El. After a more than a decade he's really back! The real deal that is.

Eight, Triplicate Girl and her multiple dates... of not being the crush that one of them develops on Element Lad. Also her origin is really cool... a visit to Cargg at some point would be awesome.

Ninth, I've always had a soft spot for Timber Wolf, and the new look really does him justice (i.e. no more 'furball').

Tenth, Princess Projectra being the cash cow of the team and then turning out to be 'actually' useful was a good twist.

Eleventh, I actually like the new Element Lad look... I was never a big fan of his old costume... although I did like the 5YL look...

Twelth, Cosmic Boy and Brainy's little rivalry makes for some really good interactions.

Thirteenth, Phantom Girl's origin is oool, as was that entire back-up featuring her and Karate Kid.

Currently getting caught up on my Legion history by reading the Post-Zero Hour Legion.
#25725 03/21/07 02:31 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
1) The artwork, even fill-in spots, was always top-notch.

2) There obviously was a lot of effort put into establishing the reboot at the start.

3) Dream Girl, Brainiac 5 and Shadow Lass evolved as interesting characters.

4) 30 pages of artwork each issue was a good thing while it lasted.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#25726 03/21/07 09:18 PM
Active
Active
It got me into the Legion. I had one issue of the Legion that I had picked up for a quarter when I was a kid and I always enjoyed the Legion when they crossed over into books I was reading (like Superboy), but I never actually picked up their book.

Well, I picked up this version when it first came out and really enjoyed it. My fave issue is still where Brainy, Karate Kid, Shadow Lass and Dream Girl go to Nura. Everything was just 100% pure gold.

Well, this caused me to care more about the Legion and I ended up picking up back issues whenever I could find them cheap and now I just love the Legion!

So whatever else people (or I) may say about this run, it got me into the Legion and for that I will always have to be grateful because I never would have bothered otherwise.

Long Live the Legion!
#25727 03/22/07 01:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Hey stephbarton, that's still my favorite issue so far, too! I think it's classic textbook example of how to tell a great one issue story that advances a larger plot AND helps you learn ALOT about the characters, without a bunch of clunky exposition.

#25728 03/22/07 01:47 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Yeah, the view of Naltor was awesome. It was easily the best of the 'new' worlds.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#25729 03/22/07 01:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Another addition to the list: 3boot flight rings.

Incorporating the protection of transuits and adding costume morphing and psi-shielding to the flight ring technology was absolutely *brilliant* and should be retroactively applied to all earlier versions of the Legion. (Why didn't Brainy think of it before?)

#25730 03/29/07 02:50 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally posted by Tromium:
For their courage in giving the Legionnaires emotionally realistic and complex teenaged personalities and behaviors while also keeping most of them true to character. Hopefully, these characterizations will stand and inform future writers.
I agree wholeheartedly. This is the prize aspect for me.

Oh, and it's <strike>humorous</strike> funny.

#25731 03/29/07 05:54 AM
Active
Active
I can't add that much cause I really felt the first two years of stories were very lame, but:

The return of the old codenames was wonderful!

The art was very consistent (no guest artists, am I right?) and well done. A little bit too much L.E.G.I.O.N. but still well done.

The story went kind of SciFi with the Dominator plot, and I like it when the Legion gets more SciFi centered. Good move, too late but good.

Nice costumes.

That's all, apart from that there was a lot I did not like - where can I post that :-) ?

#25732 04/12/07 09:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Colu as the 'Bottle Planet' - absolutely blinding idea!

Cargg full of Lu's (so to speak)

Dissention amongst the ranks - for instance, Garth signing the UP agreement was well played.

Fabbo costume designs!

Sun Boys parents, Theena and the 'li'l L legionnaires'

History will make fools of the scoffers, I think despite a few inconsistencies this has been an amazing run!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,954
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Shadow Kid
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ger
Ger
Dallas, TX
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star