Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:09 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 01:55 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 01:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by stile86 - 06/07/24 07:48 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Supergirl and the Legion #26 - Spoilers
#3046 01/29/07 10:39 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

And who knew widows were so brittle? wink
Not I. Unless you count Aunt May in the early Spider-man comics. wink

This post submitted by the queen of typos

#3047 01/29/07 10:43 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
You know... I almost said that this issue had alot of the feel of DnA's run... and for the very same reasons you cite.
And, to be fair, it's not like a unique problem to the Legion. It's to the point where they're running out of mutants to kill over in the Marvelverse and have resorted to butchering large numbers of people who *used to be* mutants. Anytime a group of mutants gets together (Morlocks, Genoshans, etc), something shows up and slaughters them all.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#3048 01/29/07 10:55 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Set:
Where in the books does it actually say that Terror Firma were behind the destruction of Orando? Elysion had numerous strike teams and any one of them could have been responsible.
Every time we see Elysion with a group of people, it's the same group. Zepha, the fire chick, the big rock guy, the pair of telepaths (one controls water, the other makes portals).

Orando was destroyed by floods (which an earth controller *could* have made), forest fires (which an earth controller could have called up from the molten core of the planet) and storms (I got nothin'). But these same people, who stood by smirking as Elysion murdered some kid as an example, turned around and said that they *didn't know* that 'the plan' involved killing people.

Everyone else in the galaxy knew that Orando (and several other worlds) were genocidally massacred, but not the people who followed Elysion around everywhere, and accompanied him on the planetary assault the Legion showed up to fight? Yeah, right.

What, where they going to carefully not hurt anyone, and then be whisked off planet so that Elysion could kill everyone without them knowing about it?

I don't buy it. At least one them has to be able to read and notice that every planet they assaulted ended up dead.

Like I said, Occam's Razor. Elysion, IMO, didn't bring his team to do planetary assaults only to send them home so that he could do everything himself.

What makes more sense?

1) Elysion figured out how to make storms with his earth control powers, and would send his strike team home before anyone got hurt on all of their planetary raids, and then made sure none of them ever noticed that every planet they raided ended up dead.

2) Zepha, who stood by and watched as he killed that kid, and later claimed not to know they were killing folk, and happened to control air, created the storms that killed a bunch of people on Orando, and then lied about it when it looked like she was gonna get in trouble.
You know, it is still quite possible that that most of Elysion's group honestly didn't know. Let's run through the details, shall we?

Phren, the pointy-eared guy with the tail was his group's resident telepath, and strong enough to block Imra until he lost his concentration.

The fifth dimension did freaky things to Imra's telepathic powers, and may have done the same sort of thing to his.

Thus, he may have been filtering what his group heard and saw before. In the scenes where Elysion's group rebels, he doesn't look too happy about it, but he doesn't say anything for or against it. His earlier thoughts had been in telepath-bubbles. Perhaps he couldn't speak?

When the rebels with Sun Boy are shown later, he's not part of the group. He may just not have been part of the shot, but he may have gone off on his own or returned to Elysion because he disagreed with the rebellion.

Anyone see evidence to contradict this theory?

#3049 01/30/07 11:01 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Neemers:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
[b]
And who knew widows were so brittle? wink
Not I. Unless you count Aunt May in the early Spider-man comics. wink

This post submitted by the queen of typos[/b]
Not only are widows of the future brittle, but I learned a while back on another board that they're unable to wash themselves! Hence the need for 30th century widow-washers!

I love space-typos, especially when they send me on space-tangents. smile

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#3050 01/30/07 03:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Maybe I'm showing my age as a Legion fan, but between the Wanderers, Mekt, Polar AND Plant Boy, Mon-El, Dominators, red gas released by Dominators, the division of the Legion into different squads, giant robots, and a little bit of romantic intrigue I was reminded not of the DnA era but instead of the Levitz Legion. I was really happy with this issue and the last. It seems to me like WaK is really starting to hit their stride, and some of what we've been waiting for is beginning to happen.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#3051 01/30/07 06:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
"Prattler." HAH! Mekt certainly gets to the heart of the matter.

We did have a lot of nameless wannabes standing around. I hope we get some story for a few of them at least, especially the White Witch and the Other Green Kid.

It's interesting that, of all the Legionnaires, only three are soldiers, as opposed to generals (Ayla having been selected because of family ties). That is in keeping with the way we've seen most of them behaving - although Triplicate Girl would seem to be more in the soldier camp. Perhaps she's just too loyal to Cos.

I liked the giant robot bursting through MegaTokyo scene. It was kind of like Godzilla, but a well-made Godzilla. Of course, if you think about the logical consequences of something like that, it loses it's charm... How vain are the Dominators to make a robot in their own image, which is only seen for a few minutes?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#3052 01/31/07 10:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm assuming the Dominators provided the payload (the red stuff) but left it up to their subterranean robot allies to design and deploy the delivery system in whatever manner they saw fit. From what we've seen of the robots, they're obsessed with recreating ancestor-god Monsterbots, which may be the only kind of weapon they know how to build and/or have some "religious" significance that far outweighs practical design considerations.

Practical or not from our human point of view, it got the job done just fine (and more importantly, looked exceedingly cool).

I imagine the red stuff is connected to the "payload" delivered by the Dominator missile in issue #16.

#3053 01/31/07 11:25 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
"I imagine the red stuff is connected to the "payload" delivered by the Dominator missile in issue #16."

That's how I read it, too. Therein lies the main problem with this title. It's taken TEN issues just to get back to this, and at least another one (or more?) before we get an explanation. Toooooo slow.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#3054 01/31/07 11:37 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Therein lies the main problem with this title. It's taken TEN issues just to get back to this, and at least another one (or more?) before we get an explanation. Toooooo slow.
Um well I cant agree there that is why I absolutely LOVE this book. I would have to say that long well crafted storilines like these are why so many peopla are into shows like X-Files and Heroes. They weave the story in a very intricate way over several issues/episodes. There's other stuff going on, but the longer threads are slowly built over time and the unravelingis just as good if not better than the payoff.

#3055 01/31/07 12:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
External factors have probably dictated the pacing to some degree. The Dominator storyline is evidently tied in with 52. I doubt it's a coincidence the both stories began 9-10 months ago, and are just now coming to a climax simultaneously.

The same probably applies to Supergirl (they couldn't introduce her until the "missing" year began in 52) and the two-year long wait for Mon-El. He couldn't be "explained" until DC was ready to reveal more about New Earth Superman's history (upcoming Action Annual).

That's part of the price of being connected to major events in the mainstream DCU. The alternative is little or no connection, and a Legion book that all but exists in an Elseworlds universe of its own.

#3056 01/31/07 12:59 PM
Active
Active
Good point wndola1. I have enjoyed the way in which the robots have been connected in various ways to the other plot points. That "throwaway" scene when the LSH finds the impostor sci-cop. Even the subtle mentions about the Dominators in the first issue and behind. Heck, I wonder if that runway robot (with a bomb in it's head) was a plan to remove the LSH early on. Good stuff. It’s the reason why this is one of the few pure capes books on my pull list.

#3057 01/31/07 07:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
re: # 26

I thought this issue continued the trend toward more enjoyable LSH stuff.

I liked that the Ranzz origin wasn't tweaked too much (there's a reason why origins are classic. You don't see people going around changing Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman's origins. They're CLASSIC, and shouldn't be changed.) and I liked seeing that Theena is going to become a member.

Although, to be honest, my first thought was: "Super, Theena's joining. UH-OH. She's going to be the 3boot version of Computo, Dragonmage, Kinetix, Gates and Mosntress... completely forgotten and not seen for 2 decades once this version of the LSH gives way to the next, as history has shown us WILL happen sooner or later. Guess I'd better not get too vested in her."

Comics shouldn't make its fans think this way.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#3058 01/31/07 07:29 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I enjoyed this issue a great deal. Two main things I want to comment on:

1. I'm glad they didn't change the Ranzz origin. Having been oft-repeated, it's possibly the most known origin in the Legion, and changing it just for the sake of being "different" would be stupid. The family dynamic of the elder Solo and the Legionnaire twins, the lightning beasts..er, people (I didn't say they didn't change anything) sets up a lot of drama. Why change it?

2. Mon-El's interesting assertions. He mentions that Kara Sue's cousin (c'mon, we all know who that is) "saved my life" when Clark was about the same age she is now. That he was put in the Phantom Zone and had been there "pretty much ever since"...

...But at the same time, Lar and Superbrittney somehow met in his past and her future. Apparently leaves the door open for Lar to appear somehow in the Present Day (or near future). From the perspective of 1000 years "pretty much ever since" could even leave some leeway if they wanted to keep some of Lar's Valor history (most notably his service in L.E.G.I.O.N.) and say his "permanent" stay in the Zone hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, I doubt it too...but as someone who actually liked most of the development of Lar Gand during the 90's, I have to indulge in some wishful thinking.

"I will drill a hole through my head. You cannot stop me."
#3059 01/31/07 07:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What's wrong with Lightning Beasts that they had to change them?

Bigots.

smile

#3060 01/31/07 07:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm just glad the White Witch isn't orange with purple polka-dots. And a guy.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#3061 02/01/07 01:42 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
If ever there were an origin that could use some major tweaking... Not that there's anything atrociously bad about it, but how many times does this (essentially unchanged) story need to get panel time? From now on, just put in a footnote telling the reader, "Insert generic Ranzz origin here."
The semi-interesting difference this time is the reason why they landed on Korbal. In past versions of the origin, they were just going to a party on another planet. This time, Mekt was going on a joyride with suicidal intentions, and Garth and Ayla stowed away to stop him from killing himself.

Incidentally, Garth and Ayla must have had a fairly bizarre childhood, if they had to maintain a constant suicide watch on their older brother. I wonder how this affected their personalities and their sibling relationship.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#3062 02/01/07 01:57 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Actually, the one aspect of the origin I would preferred to have seen ditched was the "Mekt is crazy because he's a solo", and they seem to be increasingly emphasizing that with each retelling.

#3063 02/01/07 04:02 AM
Active
Active
You've only heard Ayla & Garth's version of their history so far...you might find Mekt's 'interesting' wink

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#3064 02/01/07 05:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I suspect that Garth and Ayla took on the suicide watch of their own volition, like snoopy little siblings. What parent would assign such a duty to young kids, if it were truly needed? Maybe Mekt was just adventuresome and reckless. By some perspectives, all the Legionnaires are suicidal to be doing what they do; superpowers only go so far to protect one.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#3065 02/01/07 07:08 AM
Active
Active
boring is one thing i've never been.

#3066 02/01/07 10:37 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b] If ever there were an origin that could use some major tweaking... Not that there's anything atrociously bad about it, but how many times does this (essentially unchanged) story need to get panel time? From now on, just put in a footnote telling the reader, "Insert generic Ranzz origin here."
The semi-interesting difference this time is the reason why they landed on Korbal. In past versions of the origin, they were just going to a party on another planet. This time, Mekt was going on a joyride with suicidal intentions, and Garth and Ayla stowed away to stop him from killing himself.

Incidentally, Garth and Ayla must have had a fairly bizarre childhood, if they had to maintain a constant suicide watch on their older brother. I wonder how this affected their personalities and their sibling relationship. [/b]
Thank you for saying "semi-interesting." To refine my earlier suggestion: Insert a footnote saying "Insert generic Ranzz origin here, except X." Where x = semi-interesting twist. Perhaps the panels that would have been used to show the origin could then be used to show Cosmic Boy trying on new costumes.

#3067 02/02/07 11:33 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Since the election is open to ALL legionnaires, maybe Theena will win. All the kids know her and it might mend any remaining tension from when the group split in two. I propose that this is how Theena will become a "L"egionnaire.

#3068 02/02/07 11:39 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
That's what I guessed when I saw her silhouette on the splash page.

#3069 02/02/07 12:16 PM
Active
Active
well I am not sure about that but it would be cool as she is rather Oracle-ish with here ability to see everyone at once. Could make a good organizer if not leader.

#3070 02/02/07 05:49 PM
Reservist
Reservist
How in the heck did Ranzz twinzz think Mekt was able to survive before they were old enough to 'protect' him?

Anyway, by the end of this issue I couldn't help wondering what Dreamy wanted Brainsy to tell Cos that was going to avoid this latest catastrophe.

So what.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,972
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Lad Boy
Lad Boy
Washington DC
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star