Roll Call
0 members (), 228 Murran Spies, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/04/24 06:08 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/04/24 06:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/04/24 05:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/04/24 05:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/04/24 05:05 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/04/24 12:32 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/03/24 12:56 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/03/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: LSH # 5 (Five Years Later) -- Revisited
#31375 06/13/08 03:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Simply an amazing piece of artwork that probably will never receive its due in the profession.

If ten of the best in the business were given the assignment to make something out of the mess presented by the loss of the Superboy connection, I doubt anyone would have come up with better, told it better, or illustrated it better.

#31376 06/13/08 06:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Excellent review, HWW, of an outstanding comic. It really was a densely-written and illustrated piece. I see more with each reading.

I had thought the signs on the ground were just occult magic signs until this thread. Having reread the issue, I saw that Glorith had more Legion insignia on her gloves in her initial scene - Ultra Boy's and somebody else's.

Could Rond have been a monk? His hairstyle seemed to suggest that, along with the robe. It struck me as strange that Mordru would permit Catholicism, but perhaps its rituals could be akin to magic, or had been reworked to suit him.

This was possibly the only issue from that series with no letters, no text pieces at the end and no word from the creators/editors. I hadn't noticed that before, but think it makes a powerful statement. To have followed the story with some real world communication might have lessened the effect.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#31377 06/13/08 06:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And does anyone know if the issue of L.E.G.I.O.N. that showed the Durlan/Phase swap was published more or less simultaeously to this one? I can't remember. In any case I can see how those scenes kind of detract from the story if you weren't a reader of both titles. But if you were--WOW!

That L-dot story was from November 1989 (#9) - and LSH #5 was March 1990 (cover date).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#31378 06/14/08 10:21 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
OP Offline
Originally posted by brigort:
I enjoyed most of Giffens run, at least he was pushing some boundaries and trying to salvage what he could. Some of it worked, some of it didn't.
Things really came apart when editorial started pushing his buttons, and he seemed to give up and just see what he could get away with until someone noticed.
You touch on one of the things I admire about Giffen, brigort--that he pushed boundaries. At a time when most comics creators played it safe by regurgitating the same kinds of stories that had worked before and aimed their work for the hypothetical 12- to 13-year-olds, Giffen dared to try something new and aim for an older audience.

You're correct that some of it worked and some of it didn't; such is the nature of experimentation.

I have two thoughts about Giffen's attempts to see what he could get away with, both of which speculate about his character (and which may or may not be well founded). On one hand, it seems immature for him to take out his frustrations with the company on the characters and the fans. On the other hand, it was gutsy of him to stand up to the company in the best way he could: by using the story to rebel against editorial interference.

Giffen was certainly a volatile creator, and that volatility is part of what made him successful, I think.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#31379 06/14/08 10:25 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
If ten of the best in the business were given the assignment to make something out of the mess presented by the loss of the Superboy connection, I doubt anyone would have come up with better, told it better, or illustrated it better.
I agree, Blockade Boy.

#31380 06/14/08 10:34 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Excellent review, HWW, of an outstanding comic.
Thanks, Cramer.

I had thought the signs on the ground were just occult magic signs until this thread. Having reread the issue, I saw that Glorith had more Legion insignia on her gloves in her initial scene - Ultra Boy's and somebody else's.
Good catch!

It might be simplistic to assume that the markings have some direct bearing on the Legion. After all, the key figures in Legion history (per Giffen) were not the Legionnaires themselves, but Brande and the Time Trapper. It could be that the blood signs refer to something else entirely.

Could Rond have been a monk? His hairstyle seemed to suggest that, along with the robe.
Possibly. Being a monk would certainly give him a plausible background in magic, folklore, and religion.

This was possibly the only issue from that series with no letters, no text pieces at the end and no word from the creators/editors. I hadn't noticed that before, but think it makes a powerful statement. To have followed the story with some real world communication might have lessened the effect.
Another insightful observation.

#31381 06/14/08 10:36 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Anyone else reread the comic in question since this thread was started? Anything new pop out at ya? And was your impression of it any different than the previous or first reading?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#31382 01/12/10 12:29 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
In Dev’s thread rereading the 5YL stories, HWW posted a link to his excellent review of Legion #5 of the TMK/5YL era. An excellent review for one of the best Legion issues of all time IMO.

I missed this thread the first time around—lots of great insight. I particularly liked this passage:

Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
E. Themes

It’s hard to speculate on Giffen’s motives, but I think it is not unlikely that he was asking fans to have faith in him as he reconstructed the Legion’s timeline to accommodate DC’s mandate. It is interesting to view the heroes in this story (particularly Rond) as stand-ins for Giffen and his collaborators (Andrew and Mysa=Tom and Mary), while Mordru serves as a stand-in for the all-powerful DC, which bends fictional “reality” to its will. (You can draw your own conclusions as to who Glorth is supposed to be.)
Whether knowingly or not, if the Creators did this then it works beautifully. Glorith of course would be Legion continuity from #6 forwards and one could make an argument that its Legion continuity ever since. In order to keep reading Legion stories, we were forced to live under a new puppet master.

I haven’t read the issue in a few years (I think about 5 years ago was the last time) but its always a treat to reread it. Here, Giffen, Tom, Mary and Al Gordon basically give a writer’s graduate course on how to convey the danger of a higher power without showing him. Mordru and the dread he causes are felt in every single panel.

#31383 01/12/10 02:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is one of those issues that I think about, when I get irritated at a comics board poster whose response to others' critiques and criticisms of a book is "it's just a comic."

It's literature. We're not 7 and these do not cost 12 cents. It's more than literature. It's real-time performance art, as it responds to message board criticisms and winks to fans with it's plot development, as so many stories now seem to do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,883
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Helena Handbasket
Helena Handbasket
A spare room over Quislet's Table
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star