Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 33 Murran Spies, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/23/24 05:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:30 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:29 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/23/24 02:29 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 11:39 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 11:37 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 09:43 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 04:44 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The New Writer Is
#361481 03/17/07 09:35 PM
Active
Active
Heheh. If I had a penny for all the times I've fantasized about it Lone Wolf! My fantasy is a new team of writer/artist who will turn out to be the new "Paul Levitz/Dave Cockrum/Mike Grell" who
will either extrapolate from and upgrade the original designs and characters, or create a new uber-futuristic look bringing the Legion into the 21st century in full force! New costumes, old and new villains, old and new Legionnaires, with the classic Legion spirit.

And I hope we never, ever, ever see shoulder pads, utility belts, and trenchcoats again! (Boy, do I get passionate!) laugh

I'd better face it though. I hope the new writer will love the Legion and give us good stories, but even if the new Legion is a Mr Mxyzptlk-meets-Punisher-meets-Sailor Moon version, I'll still buy it.

#361482 03/17/07 09:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Hopefully they will DE-Boot The Legion back to the original Pre-Crisis characters that lasted for 30 plus years for their 50th anniversary,With the cartoon going strong and the Anniversary coming up it's the perfect time to get rid of all the Lame Copies and bring back the Real Legion (anywhere after Wildfire joins but before Karate Kid dies) and put them in Dave Cockrum Costumes.
Pardon those of us who were not yet alive when Cockrum was drawing the Legion. Heck some of us weren't reading yet in the period you cite.

Are our Legions less valid than yours? Can you make your point without being disrespectful of any material created after 1984?

#361483 03/17/07 09:52 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Quite so. I have absolutely no feeling whatsoever for the current Legion, since I don't read it and I never will - although I think the *idea* of a second reboot was horrid, ergo the "don't read it and never will" - but "MY" Legion is the 1994-2004 team, and I would be just as uninterested in a Return To Pre-Crisis.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#361484 03/17/07 10:03 PM
Active
Active
You know, I think what's really magical and wonderful is that each of us feels his/her own Legion is the best. I wholeheartedly believe that's a wonderful thing, and quite unique in comics fandom. The impact this comic book has on its readers, how much it touches and inspires us.

No Legion is more valid than the other, in my humble opinion, and all versions had something good to offer (yes, even my least favorite of them all).
I know I'm new here but If I may, I'd like to suggest that we not lose sight of what an incredible universe the Legion is,regardless of which "reality" we consider the best one.

Personally, I'm just fantasising about what I'd like the Legion to be like. No harm in that, right? smile

#361485 03/17/07 10:07 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Imagine a Legion Girls comic in the style of his Mary Jane Stuff. (I know Lash would be buying)
Lash isn't the only one.
laugh
That would rule as a mini !!!

#361486 03/17/07 10:08 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Bah! *Everyone* knows that the original Legion is the only *real* version of the team!

Hopefully one day we'll have a writer that gets rid of all of these crappy retcons like making Saturn Girl blonde, changing Lightning Boy's name to "Lightning Lad", and ruining Cosmic Boy's uniqueness by making his power genetic rather than the result of scientific serums. Not to mention that one poor guy that gets re-colored as Brainiac Five whenever the adventures of the real Legion get re-printed! Let's get rid of all these lame clones that have been around since 1959, and restore the Legion whose 50th anniversary we're *really* celebrating! wink

#361487 03/17/07 10:11 PM
Active
Active
I haven't read any of the Mary Jane stories mentioned above, but I'd like any Legion spin-off in any style. Manga, cartoon or otherwise.
The potential for new stories and new Legion aspects is endless.

#361488 03/17/07 10:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Scientific serums *do* space-rawk. Not enough origins involve serums these days.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#361489 03/17/07 10:23 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Serums are like groovy rays, but in liquid form!

#361490 03/17/07 10:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree with EDE... making Saturn Girl blonde is a sell-out to the peroxide industry and their hollywood stooge allies who would have us believe that blondes really have more fun.

#361491 03/18/07 12:08 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
LSH jumped the shark with the time-cube. A cube.

Come-on, you can't travel time in a cube.

#361492 03/18/07 03:29 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yeah, Legion hasn't been good since Cosmic Boy's powers were changed from being "magnetic eyes"...

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#361493 03/18/07 11:19 AM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Now, now. Mr. Waid *knows* how crazy LSH fans are, so he'll get no boo-hoos from me...

Really, we aren't so hard to please, it's just that this is the third 'boot of a comic that should never have been totally rebooted to begin with...
I hate to say this, but i feel a bit betrayed by both Mark and Barry, as hard as that is for me to say. Its just that I think that if you set out to drastically revize a long-standing book like the Legion, you should commit to stay on and help the new continuity to "take" properly. As things stand, I'm left with a bit of a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am feeling, i.e. that the three-boot creators came to the Legion sandbox, kicked down the castle, and then left shortly afterward because they got bored. I'm sorry, guys--especially you, Barry, because I know that you're really an uber-fan at heart--but that's the way I feel knowing that you're both leaving early.

Anyway, in terms of new artists I'd love to see McKone or Lightle draw the book; the art alone would make it worth buying, IMO.

As for writers, what about bringing back the Bierbaums? laugh Other than mixed fan reaction to them, is there some sort of backstory that would prevent their return? My second choice would be DnA, although I have no idea if they would even be willing and available. Ultimately, though, if I could pick a completely unattainable "dream team", I'd go with Levitz and Giffen.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#361494 03/18/07 11:48 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Aw c'mon guys. This is Legion World, you're not going to get flamed by the community for stating your opinion and most especially for stating a wish list. If it's raw hard core animosity you're seeking might I suggest the DC message boards or one of the zillions of comic book fan sites that only discusses the Legion occasionally?

I think the biggest threat to anybody's comments may be that someone might accuse you of being unrealistic or downright silly.

Speaking of which, it's too bad Mort Weisinger is gone for good. NOBODY loved the Legion more than Mort.

#361495 03/18/07 11:52 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Mediocre Boy, I actually feel the same way, not just with WaK but with other creative teams on other characters/books. Certain individuals lambast Keith Giffen but they cannot dispute the passion Giffen poured into the Legion...at least he tore everything down and built it back up, only leaving when his story was told...

So yeah, I can understand where you're coming from.

Igee The Mighty!
#361496 03/18/07 01:42 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't think there's been one creative team since Levitz who've been allowed to wrap up their run they way they intended. Not even Levitz, actually. His plan was to leave at issue #50, but he was persuaded to do another year with Giffen. The last year of his run was as much (or more) Giffen than Levitz. The latter's creative fire had already burned out.

Giffen left because of editorial interference and negative fan reaction. Blowing up the Earth was the ultimate Wham-Bam -- it was *not* Giffen's original plan (See: Hat Trick).

The Bierbaums were fired twice, first from LSH, then from Legionnaires. (N.B. -- They don't work in the comic book industry anymore.)

Post-ZH, Waid left of his own volition but Stern, Peyer, McGraw and Moy were fired in 1999. (Not that they even had a plan, or one worth saving.)

DnA wanted to leave when Coipel departed for Marvel and editor MacAvvenie was fired, but were persuaded by Steve Wacker to stay on. They, too, were forced to wrap up before they'd finished their story. (Chris Batista has since given some insights about what DnA might have done if they'd been allowed to carry on.)

That's 20 years of thwarted creative teams. Waid and Kitson are definitely not alone.

#361497 03/18/07 03:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't know Bedard's work. I'm neiher thrilled nor disappointed.

I'm only sorry to see Waid go in the sense that (1) his entusiasm is/was real, (2) his love of LSH is proven, and (3) if there had to be a Threboot, he would have been the writer who could have pulled it off.

But he didn't. For every aspect that worked there were a half-dozen that didn't pan out. And I don't know if this version can be salvaged.

I'm hopeful that a team will come on board, wheher in issue 31, 36 or whenever, and truly craft a magnificent Legion again. But right now I'm not placing the focus of my fandom on the current series in any way, shape or form at all, I'm sorry to say.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#361498 03/18/07 05:39 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Tony Bedard is a very accomplished writer who co-wrote issues S&LSH 21 and 22. He just finished up a long run on the Exiles title for Marvel. I really enjoyed his work on Negation for Crossgen. Neagation involved a group of escaped aliens with diverse powers being led by a ordinary human with tactical military experience fighting against an other-dimensional race that was bent on dominating this universe. Incidentally Mark Waid co - wrote the first two issues of Negation. So while I will miss Mark, I think Tony will do a creditable job on this Title.

#361499 03/18/07 06:10 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Valor1:
I really enjoyed his work on Negation for Crossgen.
X Infinity! Does TB post here yet? I -NEED- to know what he had planned for the resolution of the Negation War...! sob

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#361500 03/18/07 06:47 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I don't know how, but I just KNOW doing this is going to bite me on the arse somehow at some point.

Tony Bedard forum @ CBR

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#361501 03/18/07 06:54 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Some hopefully helpful, humbly submitted rules for the benefit of our new writer, Mr. Bedard:

1. Do not make any character a snake.

2. Do not kill any of the traditional team members.

3. Do not bother invading Earth for at least 20 years.

4. Do not have any traditional team member go insane and kill lots of folks.

5. Having the issues' primary narrations done by different team members (as opposed to Cosmic Boy or Saturn Girl all the time) = a good thing.

6. Do not retcon in a gender change.

7. Bow to the magnificence of Matter-Eater Lad and Bouncing Boy.

#361502 03/18/07 07:00 PM
Active
Active
Hey, I got a few issues of Exiles because they featured the Shi'ar Superguardians/Imperial Guard. I consider them "Legion" anyway and buy every comic they appear in, but I really enjoyed the story too. I hadn't noticed Mr. Bedard was the writer!

Tromium said
Giffen left because of editorial interference and negative fan reaction. Blowing up the Earth was the ultimate Wham-Bam -- it was *not* Giffen's original plan (See: Hat Trick).
Really??? eek I always had the impression that blowing the Earth up was Mr Giffen's decision and it was planned from the beginning. Can't remember where I had read about it, or whether it was just an extrapolation from other information regarding v5.
I feel better knowing it wasn't his decision. Do tell more about it Tromium. Pls!

#361503 03/18/07 07:00 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Y'know, what happened the last time a Legion book was left short of writers after around 30 or so issues; with someone else stepping in for a short term stint?

Nah, couldn't happen again... wink

#361504 03/18/07 07:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Reboot:
Y'know, what happened the last time a Legion book was left short of writers after around 30 or so issues; with someone else stepping in for a short term stint?
The series was cancelled and replaced by a better one that outsold it?

I'd be in favor of that!

#361505 03/18/07 07:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Awkward Pause Boy for LSH writer!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,610
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kid Metal \m/
Kid Metal \m/
Kansas City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star