Roll Call
0 members (), 140 Murran Spies, and 127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Pattern Recognition
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:10 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:09 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:09 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 01:55 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 01:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Legion November 2007 Solicitations and Images...SPOILERS!
#45170 08/21/07 02:58 AM
Active
Active
Ok after looking at it some more I'm not as filled with dread as I was initially.

RatBo er CosmicBoy has always had an ugly costume more or less. If I had to wear that monstrosity I'd have a scowl on my face too.

The sleeveless look on Lightning Lad kind of grows on you.

I absolutely do not like the Saturn Girl redesign...but to be honest about it...the Pink Bikini is probably the only look I will ever accept for her. That's my favorite Imra by far...and that look was gone long before the crisis.

Now as for the images this cover conveys in my head about what direction they are taking this Legion...hunted renegades etc....

If that's just the introductory arc I'm ok...if that somehow becomes the tone of any new orgiginal Legion series, I am going to have a stroke. That is my absolute worst fear...

I just don't enjoy a lowtech Legion fighting the establishment while still trying to fignt bad guys in a galaxy gone bad where science has fallen to Magic.

That blew the first time I read it(except for the MatterLadStuff which was all time best Legion stuff) and it's going to blow this time as well IMO.

I like the Biiiig Legion...Biggest Regular SuperTeam in Comics History, where you are constantly seeing characters you really don't know much about and want to see more of them...but might have to wait 99 issues(in the pre mini series era) to learn something about them. I like one that fights incomparably powerful bad guys and is constantly journeying to New Worlds, Solar Systems, and introducing new spieces and races, or at least constantly introducing things of this sort we haven'
t seen before, even though the Legion might have encountered them before...in an untold tale.

I like the Legion being a SuperTeam that fights at the Galactic or even Universal Level. A 31st century that amazes with it's techonology...not a Legion steeped in Urban Crime Fighting on Earth, or a small galactic scale revolving around a small group of planets, fighting villians all basically introduced in a 20 issue span of Adventure Comics by Jim Shooter back in the Sixties...as much at odds with their own govt as they are their own super villians.

I mean when was the last time a truly memorable Legion Villian was added to their rogues gallery...didn't happen in the Levitz Era, which was deconstructionist in many ways to many of their greatest rogues...hasn't happened since the Levitz Era...and most of their old great villians have been retconned into the 21st century.

I guess I just want sci-fi elements put back in and the Universe to be growing...instead of it being rebooted, reintroduced etc. And I'd like this future to in some way appear to be one a thousand years in our future...instead of one that looks like it might be 50 years away, technologically speaking. And one that hasn't grown much socially since our own current era.

That said...if this is just the introductory arc and the whole purpose is to fix what went wrong....then I am very happy, and that cover starts to bring up some really cool images in my mind. I mean that is the same crew from way way back in Adventure #247, in the BatCave...now that could be awesome.

I'm still not a big fan of the Kubert style there though..it just looks too X-manny to me.

The X-Men should rip of the Legion(to great effect in the 70'd)...not the other way around. I don't want the Legion to be anti-establishment renegades as anything other than a story arc...I want them to be a respected SuperTeam in their era that instantly has credibility, like the JSA and JLA...not the X-Men.

#45171 08/21/07 03:59 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Matthew E:
That's a dashed striking cover on #36. I'm going to miss Calero when he's gone, Manapul or no Manapul.

The arc in Action sounds interesting. I mean, I was going to get it anyway, but I'm glad it at least sounds interesting.

@Legion #36: As I said, the WaK runs left me cold, Dream Girls death as a cheap gimmick left me cold so her resurrection will also leave me cold.
Will leave you cold? She's been back for over a year now. Well, pretty much, anyway...
Yes, all the more reason why the whole Dream Girl story is so un-interesting... if you bring back the character (even if only in Brainys mind) after only a few months, the whole death scene looses all of its impact. Poor storywriting.

#45172 08/21/07 04:06 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by doublechinner:
I mean, do we need another dystopic, dysfunctional grown-up ugly Legion? Giffen and the Bierbaums pretty much nailed that one almost 20 years ago (urk! 20 years!)

Yes! We need it! After over half a decade of Archie Legion and another three years of Waids directionless babbling (with a very decent DnA run in between), I would take any dystopic SciFi story without further thinking about it. Even if it means that the classic TMK run will still be out of continuity - which is a shame, I'm currently rereading it, once again loving it! - I would be very much interested in a 21th century take on an adult Legion.

But I have always loved "dark future" scenarios - never was one for the "funny books".

#45173 08/21/07 04:11 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by kcekada:
Really disliking Frank's new designs.

While I'm not against new costumes for the classic Legion, these are ugly!
Those aren't Franks designs. This is the Andy Kubert variant cover. So not much can be said about the action costumes and looks of the Legion founders - as long as we don't see the regular Gary Frank cover.

I'm wondering if they are not showing that to avoid some spoilers...

#45174 08/21/07 05:26 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Dream Girl? what's she doing thee? *confused* dead or undead or does it has something to do with Brainiac 5's "secret"?[/QB]
Maybe it's Dream Boy in drag? And is it me or is that Cos an imposter based on the Asian features on his face?

Who is Hawkgirl fighting on the cover of JLA? I guess it must be a Hawk villian, but it does reminds me of The Chameleon from the LSH & L* 1,000,000 book. And Stewart instead of Jordan? Interesting.

Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"
#45175 08/21/07 07:39 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Novelty:
Who is Hawkgirl fighting on the cover of JLA? I guess it must be a Hawk villian...
Looks like Shadow Thief, maybe?

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#45176 08/21/07 08:39 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I think this story is RILLY gonna roach the buzz of everyone swooning over the Legion in the Lightning Saga. I mean, do we need another dystopic, dysfunctional grown-up ugly Legion?
It looks like some kind of fusion of the TMK Legion with Superman in continuity.
Blech.
I didn't think DC could screwup brining back this Legion and putting SuperMan in it...but turning them into the X-Legion...again, will do it for me.
Well, this conversation has taken an unexpected turn.

Imagine if I turned out to be the one defending stories about the Lightning Saga Legion to everyone else! Because I'm looking forward to this story.

#45177 08/21/07 09:25 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
lol

I'm looking forward to it too, a lot.

I actually think the Action Comics cover is far superior to the Legion cover. I've liked all of Dennis' covers, but this one, well, kinda looks awful to me. Kubert's Action cover is very dynamic, and cool that its in the Bat-cave.

Love seeing the V.3 #1 cover again. What a brillant, striking cover.

#45178 08/21/07 09:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Originally posted by kcekada:
[b] Really disliking Frank's new designs.

While I'm not against new costumes for the classic Legion, these are ugly!
Those aren't Franks designs. This is the Andy Kubert variant cover. So not much can be said about the action costumes and looks of the Legion founders - as long as we don't see the regular Gary Frank cover.

I'm wondering if they are not showing that to avoid some spoilers...[/b]
Those are clearly Kubert's interpretations of Frank's designs. There's no way the costumes won't resemble what's in the interior art. We've already seen a Dawnstar costume that was kinda meh. Not that I'm a fan of the 80's fringe outfit, mind you.

But Really they look like they're the Uncanny L-Rebels from the future, come back to tell Clark Kent what doom awaits him in an alternate reality gone bad.

#45179 08/21/07 10:18 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Re: the "Action" cover -- didn't we see somewhere that these aren't Legionnaires? (hence no flight rings) This is from some future future time where three new characters who happen to resemble the three founders are examining the Bat-Cave.
The original Legion knew about the Batcave since the Adventure days. A group of them hid there during the Computo the Conqueror story in 1965/1966 (Sun Boy led them there, iirc). We never did learn how it was first discovered or if they ever made use of it again -- not in original continuity, anyway.

I suspect Geoff Johns is referencing this relatively obscure moment of ancient history as a way of reinforcing the idea that the LS Legion is the original one. (It will take a lot more than that to convince me.)

#45180 08/21/07 11:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
lol

I'm looking forward to it too, a lot.

I actually think the Action Comics cover is far superior to the Legion cover. I've liked all of Dennis' covers, but this one, well, kinda looks awful to me. Kubert's Action cover is very dynamic, and cool that its in the Bat-cave.

Love seeing the V.3 #1 cover again. What a brillant, striking cover.
We finally differ on something! My thoughts are the exact oppossite. smile Kubert's Action has underwhelmed thus far.

#45181 08/21/07 11:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
--"Lightning Lad's place in the Legion gets a shocking change"

His 'place' gets a shocking change? He moves in with Imra? This boot has Athramites? Light Lass begins her hobby/career as an interior decorator?

I'll bet he's the new leader.

"Supergirl spends her last day as a Legionnaire"

Well, if she'd remain as 'just one of the gang', I wouldn't mind if she stayed around. Especially if they ended this Cosmic Boy, Invisible Kid nonsense-- those crushes haven't been 1/10th as interesting or fun as the original Brainy one.

"The trans-temporal menace of Evolvo-Lad intensifies!"

Now this really has me interested. I hope the 'menace' is 'just' an oppositional one and not one in which Evolvo Lad is an out-and-out villain (not that there's much of a distinction in this boot).

ERG was mentioned in last month's solicit-- now Evolvo Lad. Wonder if Life Lass and one of my favorites, Gas Girl, will pop up as well?

#45182 08/21/07 12:08 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
[b]Re: the "Action" cover -- didn't we see somewhere that these aren't Legionnaires? (hence no flight rings) This is from some future future time where three new characters who happen to resemble the three founders are examining the Bat-Cave.
The original Legion knew about the Batcave since the Adventure days. A group of them hid there during the Computo the Conqueror story in 1965/1966 (Sun Boy led them there, iirc). We never did learn how it was first discovered or if they ever made use of it again -- not in original continuity, anyway.

I suspect Geoff Johns is referencing this relatively obscure moment of ancient history as a way of reinforcing the idea that the LS Legion is the original one. (It will take a lot more than that to convince me.)[/b]
good point. Geoff does like using the empty spaces of continuity in his stories. i.e. the Green Latern yellow impurity is really fear incarnate trapped by the guardians.

however, I am feeling more and more that I should stop reading this current run of the book. why spend money when it seems rather obvious they are just going to cancel the current book and start over with the new old legion?

#45183 08/21/07 12:09 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
--"Lightning Lad's place in the Legion gets a shocking change"

His 'place' gets a shocking change? He moves in with Imra? This boot has Athramites? Light Lass begins her hobby/career as an interior decorator?

I'll bet he's the new leader.
My thought exactly. Wasn't he the runner-up in the election? He should be deputy, assuming they have deputies, and then step into Kara's place when she finally leaves.

#45184 08/21/07 12:27 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by wamu2:
I am feeling more and more that I should stop reading this current run of the book. why spend money when it seems rather obvious they are just going to cancel the current book and start over with the new old legion?
It doesn't seem obvious to me. I honestly don't think that's what they're going to do.

#45185 08/21/07 01:04 PM
Deputy
Deputy
however, I am feeling more and more that I should stop reading this current run of the book. why spend money when it seems rather obvious they are just going to cancel the current book and start over with the new old legion? !).
Why do you think that? As far as I know, the new creative team is picking up at issue #37 or #38. The Legionnaires on Manapul's cover are evidently the same characters with some costume and cosmetic tweaks. There's little there that can't be accounted for by organic change, imo, or the events taking place in the Bedard arc (e.g., Timber Wolf's feral transformation.). The missing Legionnaires (Cosmic Boy, Mon-El, Dream Girl, Supergirl) reflect current or near-future plot points. Am I missing something?

DC may shift focus to the old Legion eventually, but no word of that so far, and it doesn't mean the kids will be executed and buried. In the meantime, relax and enjoy. It's all Legion. smile

#45186 08/21/07 01:07 PM
Deputy
Deputy
As for the leadership question, LL looks pretty leaderly on the Manapul cover, but so does Brainy.

I suspect it will fall to Garth, but I wouldn't be *shocked* if he handed it over to Imra, or made her "twin" leader.

#45187 08/21/07 01:19 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Really like the cover to #36, though I've had my fill of orange covers lately.

Horray for another classic LSH tpb, finally. Maybe another archive edition will be published if all of this stuff sells well enough.

As far as the Kubert Action cover, they strike me as a 30-something Legion with all of the obvious cliches applied, I sniffed.

Probably all of these LSH threads are going to tie together in 2008. Where its all leading, I don't know but I'll go along for the ride, still and once again.

So what.
#45188 08/21/07 01:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Isn't it about time for another Archives? When did 13 come out?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#45189 08/21/07 02:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well fjm and "Jim" on the current book may be DC letting Shooter do what he damn well pleases before cancelling the book?

Levitz: Jim all those crazy Legion ideas you had? Well we don't do Elseworlds anymore but we are cancelling the current Legion book. Go to town and it's all going to be erased anyways. smile

#45190 08/21/07 03:31 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Chemical King:
in a 21th century take on an adult Legion.

But I have always loved "dark future" scenarios - never was one for the "funny books".
I gotta admit...MatterEaterLad and Policy Pam taking on Prince Evillo rivals anything Frank Miller has ever done with Batman in the Gritty/Dark Future department.

#45191 08/21/07 03:45 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I think this story is RILLY gonna roach the buzz of everyone swooning over the Legion in the Lightning Saga. I mean, do we need another dystopic, dysfunctional grown-up ugly Legion?
It looks like some kind of fusion of the TMK Legion with Superman in continuity.
Blech.
I didn't think DC could screwup brining back this Legion and putting SuperMan in it...but turning them into the X-Legion...again, will do it for me.
Well, this conversation has taken an unexpected turn.

Imagine if I turned out to be the one defending stories about the Lightning Saga Legion to everyone else! Because I'm looking forward to this story.
To be honest...I've been reading you posts here, and Geoff Johns Forum...

And I really don't understand what the essence of your argument is...I guess it's over what people define as the Real Legion.

I think that is very much up to the individual and for many...those statues in the Fortress represent the Real Legion. As close to it was we will likely get...as close to it as we have been in a long time.

I also seem to notice that most of the people that aren't too happy about the Lightning Saga Legion seem to be fans of this W&K version, which is fine...everyone should be free to like what they want.

Where I think I disagree with what I think your sentiments are...well it seems like you don't want two versions of the Legion, which to me comes off as you wanting a certain amount of say over the Legion I read...

I don't care who gets confused...if a book confuses someone, they shouldn't read it.

Nothing is more confusing than the post crisis continuity of the Legion, and I understand it as well as anyone, I just don't like having to understand it...starting with Levitz Legion #38.

I say may the best Legion win...

I fully support multiple versions of the Legion in publication and the right of Legion fans to choose which one...and if the audience isn't there to support it...that's the fault of that Legion...not Legion fans.

IMO...

If the Adventure stories happened...excellent. If Cockrum Bates etc. happened...excellent and so far they have been trying to convey that. I am thrilled. That's the Legion I want to read about.

Not this stuff they've been printing that I haven't enjoyed very much for the last 20 years. I've read it...I've given it a chance...

But it's basically just been a bunch of retcons and reinterpretations.

I don't particularly like the Legion on the run concept...that type of Legion story was never anything than an arc prior to 1989. To me that isn't the real Legion. But that's just my opinion...however based on sales, I have a feeling my opinion is a common one.

As for this Lightning Saga Legion turning into the TMK Legion with Superman added...

That's just another retelling/retconning of an era IMO...which I detest. I don't think anyone wants to read another retelling...not anyone that's currently a fan. Well...there might be a couple...the same ones that like the other retellings.

That's not changing...that's not evolving...that's retelling stories already told.

I want to see my Legion continue...my Legion ceased to exist in Baxter Legion #38.

It sold well....it was well regarded by it's fans...it was destroyed not for financial reasons, but on a creative whim by someone that didn't particularly care for the Legion.

To be honest...I spent most of the Baxter Run waiting for Levitz to come close to the GDS and he never did...if they lop off everything after Keith Giffen's change in art style..that'll be even be closer to the Legion I love. And I'll be even happier if that is where the LS Legion picks up from.

I just don't understand a lot of the arguments going on in defending post crisis versions of the Legion.

Those books and concepts failed on their own merits...yes they each attracted fans...but not enough to justify their continued production. And in truth...those Legions probably lasted longer tha they would have based on their own merits...due to loyalists like myself buying the product, hoping for it to be enjoyable, even though they didn't enjoy it.

Telling people they should like those versions is never going to be a winnable argument.

And DC not producing a well liked and popular version in an attempt to make people like the one they want them to like...isn't going to work either...as the past 20 years prove.

I say put out different versions...the market and fans will support the ones they want to see....and they won't support the ones they don't. That's the right thing to do by all fans.

#45192 08/21/07 04:07 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
[b]however, I am feeling more and more that I should stop reading this current run of the book. why spend money when it seems rather obvious they are just going to cancel the current book and start over with the new old legion? !).
Why do you think that? As far as I know, the new creative team is picking up at issue #37 or #38. The Legionnaires on Manapul's cover are evidently the same characters with some costume and cosmetic tweaks. There's little there that can't be accounted for by organic change, imo, or the events taking place in the Bedard arc (e.g., Timber Wolf's feral transformation.). The missing Legionnaires (Cosmic Boy, Mon-El, Dream Girl, Supergirl) reflect current or near-future plot points. Am I missing something?

DC may shift focus to the old Legion eventually, but no word of that so far, and it doesn't mean the kids will be executed and buried. In the meantime, relax and enjoy. It's all Legion. smile [/b]
perhaps. but Tromium, don't forget what happened with the Flash. DC solicited an issue that they knew was not going to happen. to hide the cracker jack prize of Kid Flash sleeping with the fishes. and there was that fuss about the new team for Supergirl that turned out to be a fill-in team.

I am just saying the DC leadership doesn't mind throwing us fans a curve ball.

#45193 08/21/07 04:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Third Kryptonian? It appears to be a woman with a leather jacket. In Action #850 she seems to have appeared in a panel...smoking.

I hope it isn't the original Kara that has gone "dark" like the other Legionnaires.

#45194 08/21/07 04:29 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
The Third Kryptonian? It appears to be a woman with a leather jacket. In Action #850 she seems to have appeared in a panel...smoking.

I hope it isn't the original Kara that has gone "dark" like the other Legionnaires.
She's got red hair and freckles...I don't see anyway it could be Kara. She looks a lot more like Jimmy Olsen than she does SuperGirl. wink

She does look a lot like SuperWoman Kristen Wells though...but since that SuperWoman wasn't a Kryptonian, I am not sure it's going to be her either.

I do have a feeling this character is going to wind up being SuperWoman though. And I think that'll be cool.

Maybe she's Dev-Em wink

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,974
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star