Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/06/24 11:32 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/06/24 04:55 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/06/24 02:42 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 11:53 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 11:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 11:41 AM
What I found today at my LCS!
by rickshaw1 - 06/06/24 11:12 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Re: the Squadron Supreme thread
#471732 03/04/04 04:04 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
**********SPOILERS for #8**************
Hyperion vs. Dr Spectrum! Boy, when they get around to action, they don't mess around do they? We've seen Nighthawk's sheer brutality, and here we're exposed (yes, that's a pun on the fact that the combatants' clothing was getting shredded) to the raw power posessed by these two. It was like an immovable object versus the unstoppable force. The surprising thing to me was the change in Hyperion. That first experience of pain either did something to him, or it was an influence from the crystal -- maybe it triggered a subconscious need for him to posess it? Hard to tell for sure, but his recitation of those questions over and over had me wondering.

[B5 detour]As an aside, it also reminded me of "Babylon 5" and the questions Sheridan heard when he was "dead" that were repeated time and again over the series. The part where he makes contact and the crystal/ ship "sings" to him reminded me of the transcendant yet inexplicable experience several characters had when seeing a Vorlon in its natural state.[/B5 detour]

I shouldn't have been surprised that the confrontation failed to bring any kind of resolution or major (or obvious) change to the characters -- it's something we've come to expect from the way other stories are told, but JMS is taking his time here as well as when he had Hype meet Blur and Nighthawk -- the groundwork is laid and it's still unclear what will come from this first meeting.

The first part of the fallout from this fight is the confessional scene, which was a tad chilly seeing Hyperion on the edge here. He's finally expresing some of his resentment and it shows he's not necessarily the altruist he's been trying to be -- if anything, it makes him seem more human. It's still a good sign that he went to a priest -- that he still acknowledges a higher power perhaps and that he would seek guidance from another as well.

#471733 04/15/04 05:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
****SPOILERS FOR #9*****
Hyperion sets out to get some answers but gets more than he bargained for from Gen Casey. The past two issues have been very Hyperion-centric as he makes a break from his government handlers and tries to find out about his origins. I certainly understand since he's the focus of the book, but I'm missing the others. We've seen only glimpses of them so I long to see more. The Spectrum/Amphibian connection certainly implies she and Spectrum will be close (or she will be to him at least). Since it seems Hype and Princess Power are getting together, I wonder if round two will be the battle of the super couples?

The two scenes appraising Hype's power -- from his megadeath ratings, to the notion of using a two ton press to push a spike into a baby -- chilling stuff that enhanced Hypes "stroll" through the military base.

Oh, and that last page ... wow. Looks like Hype is a lot more powerful than the other incarnations we've seen of him -- it only brings more possibilities of what he's going to actually do with the world once he sets a goal.

#471734 04/15/04 06:14 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue 9 was great as always and I appreciated the brief Doc Spectrum/Amphibian scene. I'm still hoping that ultimately Hyperion will form the Squadron Supreme.

Advance solicits say Power Princess makes the scene next issue- Hooray!

Although I can't fathom how they will segue the end of # 9 into the intro of Zarda.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#471735 04/16/04 04:32 PM
Active
Active
I just read the trade and, amazingly, I'm not that bothered that Hyperion's the main focus character. I really like the others but his tale is a bit on the tragic side innit? There's only so much sympathy to go round...

But I'm glad Zarda's coming back! I was a preturbed to see that she's been bricked up behind that wall for 2000 years or whatever!

Does anyone think this is a bit on the slow paced side though?

#471736 04/16/04 07:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This book definitely has a slower pace, but the frustration only comes from the fact that this book is so G-damn good and I wanna know what happens next!

A lot actually happens in most issues -- whether it's character development, creating atmosphere or just introducing all the various "Squadron" members, but JMS is taking his time with it and that's fine with me because he's creating something with real depth.

#471737 04/19/04 09:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree that there is an enormous amount happening in each issue, and I've been thrilled with this series so far--definately a candidate for Marvel's best current series.

This past issue was very nicely done, and showed further characterization of Hyperion (and General Casey). I'm really looking forward to seeing the other characters start meeting up with each other, but there's no need to have the story rushed along.

On to Power Princess!

#471738 05/23/04 09:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Holey Canoli, according to the Marvel solits, there's going to be a "Dr Spectrum" mini! That's great news since the main book is focused on Hyperion and there hasn't been enough room to really delve into the other "Squadroners'" stories (I also can't help but like Dr Spectrum since he's based on Green Lantern).

#471739 05/23/04 11:31 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
But Jeepers H. Christmas!! When is issue # 10 coming out?? It's later than a pregnant girl's period!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#471740 05/24/04 10:29 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
LOVED the last page of #9... shades of KINGDOM COME...! ElasticLad

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#471741 05/25/04 04:25 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Issue #10 hits the stands tomorrow, May 26th - I can't wait!

#471742 05/26/04 02:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
***SPOILERS for #10****
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
hehehe.... titties....
-- Power Princess makes her debut and man, what a body! (I'm talking about the first time we see her when she's all wrinky and sagging and stuff... eewwww) No matter how many times they showed her naked after that, I still have that first impression in my mind {{shiver}}
-- as with the other issues, we have no idea what the Princess' agenda is. She also seems as robotic as Spectrum did when he was posessed by the crystal. The prophecies hint that she'll be a force for good, but it doesn't seem like it so far.
-- JMS really plays up the "birth" angle with the repeated fetal positions and nakedness (Spectrum was naked too for his "rebirth", and Amphibian's always naked)
-- The Amphibian/ Spectrum exchange was kinda sweet. I look forward to seeing them together again soon so they can build on their friendship (assuming it all doesn't go to hell).
-- Considering Hype was injured in the explosion, could that mean Nuke will be an adversary to be feared??
-- Despite the slow pacing and lack of "big" events this issue, JMS and Frank manage to convey that what we're watching are historic moments that will determine the fate of the world. It's like we're counting down to something ... what, I don't know, but I'll be there for it!

#471743 05/31/04 09:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I noticed a Dr. Spectrum 6 issue mini will be coming in the fall!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#471744 05/31/04 10:59 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Issue 1 of the mini will be in the June solicits. Saw the cover on CBR and it looks pretty sharp.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#471745 05/31/04 01:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Pov, Dr Spectrum has always been one of my faves so I'll be picking this up!!!! I just wish we could see Arcanna!

Let the Fun Begin!
#471746 05/31/04 01:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Has Lady Lark appeared?

Was there a 'Hawkman' analogue? I don't seem to remember... I'm 'tradesitting' for this title.

Is it now an ongoing? Didn't it begin as a miniseries?

Todd

#471747 05/31/04 01:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm also looking forward to the Spectrum mini. I've always been partial to him since he's the GL analogue, but I actually like this Joe Ledger as well. The gentle side he revealed this issue went a long way in cementing my fondness for this character.

Mystery Lad, as far as I know, this has always been meant as an ongoing but I'm not 100% sure.

Lady Lark hasn't appeared and I don't know if she will. They showed some design sketches for Nuke, but aside from the members that've already appeared that's the only other Squadroner I know of in this series.

And the Hawkman analogue in the "Squadron" was Blue Eagle.

#471748 05/31/04 01:43 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
No appearance as yet by Lady Lark, but some of us are rooting for her.

The first TPB to this book is out already, Todd, I highly recommend it.

To the best of my knowledge, this book is now an unlimited-issue monthly series, already spawning spinoffs such as the upcoming Doc Spectrum mini.

#471749 05/31/04 02:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks, DrakeB3003 and Lashie! Barnes and Noble carries it, so I'll order one at work when I go back Wed.

Now for a real toughie... has the Perez illustrated Avengers/Squadron Supreme meeting been released in TPB form? Anybody?

And does SUPREME POWER affect Kyle Richmond of Defenders fame?

Thanks,

Todd

#471750 05/31/04 04:34 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Only thing I don't like about the Doc Spectrum mini is that it is being down by a different team. I was really excited about it when I thought it was going to be JMS/Frank doing it, but now I think I will probaly skip it.

#471751 05/31/04 08:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Now for a real toughie... has the Perez illustrated Avengers/Squadron Supreme meeting been released in TPB form? Anybody?

And does SUPREME POWER affect Kyle Richmond of Defenders fame?
The very first Avengers/SS battle was reprinted in the "expanded" edition of "Supreme Power #1" (which also has some character design sketches) which was released the same time as "regular" #1 (which was just the new story). Maybe you can find it at the CBS or ebay (I don't know if it was reprinted in the tpb though).

And no, this has nothing to do with any of the Squadroners we've seen before. Richmond in Marvel U. proper is not affected.

#471752 05/31/04 10:34 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It's kinda like ULTIMATE SQUADRON SUPREME, Todd, in that the original SS isn't affected by this at all and these characters are completely different. Which I kinda like, as it leaves the whole of Gruenwald's SS stories intact (see earlier pages of this thread for more details).

I'd LOVE to see the Perez SS issues in tpb. They'd include the first Hellcat appearances. Lessee, that would be issues 141, 144 (first Hellcat), 147 & 148 (and throw in 149 to finish off the Patsy/Buzz/Roxxon connection). I have the originals but I'd like a TPB. It'd be kinda small, only 5 issues, so maybe they could price it at $8.99 or something. That would be a treat.

I also want to get the CELESTIAL MADONNA tpb.

#471753 06/01/04 09:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Again, thanks DRAKE and LASH. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that 'expanded edition' of SUPREME POWER 1.

I got that CELESTIAL MADONNA tpb, along with the one reprinting the AVENGERS/DEFENDERS 'war'. Rereading those awoke my sleeping Marvel fanitis.

My original copies of everything 70s and 80s are long gone (don't ask...)

So, I'm selectively rebuilding. TPBs are the way to go, for me.

Todd

#471754 06/01/04 11:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not sure how much longer I'll be collecting this title. It's not bad, but it is a bit more graphic than I am comfortable with, and the characters feel a bit too alien from the originals for me. I don't mind a new take, I prefer my heroes not punch their fist through people wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#471755 06/03/04 08:14 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving

Geez, Zarda's first full-frontal put me off the rest of her scenes... frown wink

Man, she's creepy...!

#471756 06/03/04 01:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Todd, I also highly reccomend picking this up in the trade! A great read, with *great* art!

A Celestial Madonna TPB is a must! About five years ago, I reread the entire Avengers run from #1 to the Brotherhood of Evil taking over Avengers mansion saga, and the Celestial Madonna saga might be the supreme highlight of the post-#16 years! It was just so cool, and kept going with more twists and turns! I also have a strong affinity for Mantis now, and Kang was the ultimate Avengers villian during this era.

The latest Supreme Power was good I thought, and the art continues to stun. I can see why Zarda's continual nudity might put some people off, but nudity has never bothered me wink . The scenes with her and Hyperion were both tantalizing and creepy at the same time, and I'm curious to see where it's going--is Zarda planning to 'take over' Earth?

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,942
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Shadow Kid
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star