Roll Call
2 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Gaseous Lad), 25 Murran Spies, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/28/24 05:07 PM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Gaseous Lad - 05/28/24 05:02 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/28/24 05:02 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/28/24 03:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/28/24 03:08 AM
R.I.P. Rachel Pollack
by Ann Hebistand - 05/27/24 04:12 PM
DC Pride 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 05/27/24 04:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/27/24 08:57 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30
Re: Official '52' Discussion Thread ... SPOILERS!
#489404 10/06/06 11:09 AM
Active
Active
I miss Booster. laugh

This week didn't do much for me but I have a feeling that the following weeks will build on the mad scientist subplot and that the reference to S.H.A.D.E. will be important.....especially when Checkmate 'kills' Isis.

Jamie

#489405 10/06/06 04:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cover for week 24 is up at Newsarama.

Meet the new Justice League!

teaser...'This shirt's a clue' Bwahhhhhh!

#489406 10/06/06 04:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Awesome, kick-ass cover! One of the best so far! I like all of those on there a great deal, actually. Yay Ambush Bug! Is that Apache Chief though, him I don't know.

Two weeks behind again right now...(eternally it feels like...)

#489407 10/06/06 04:45 PM
Active
Active
That's Super-Chief.

And please note the background colors of that cover....remind you of any mysterious characters colors from 52?

I was beginning to doubt my theory but man, if I'm right....

Jamie

#489408 10/07/06 07:04 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Interesting detail -- the bus with the "Silver Blade Returns" movie ad (did anyone here ever read that book?). In the new "Atom", there's a movie marquee that has "Silver Blade II" on it.

How could this tie into Rip Hunter's lab and the scrap of paper that says "Silverblade?"

#489409 10/08/06 06:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Awesome, kick-ass cover! One of the best so far! I like all of those on there a great deal, actually. Yay Ambush Bug! Is that Apache Chief though, him I don't know.

Two weeks behind again right now...(eternally it feels like...)
I thought it looked like Black Bison.

Of course, what do I know... I haven't read an issue of 52. wink or possibly frown . But definitely OptimusPrime .

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#489410 10/11/06 04:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
After a down week, this week's issue was great. The first few pages are a direct continuation of last week's cliffhanger. Unfortunately for us it creates even more questions about the mad scientists.

Most of the issue we're back to Black Adam/with Montoya and the Question. Vic has a bunch of hilarious lines. Definitely my favorite story right now. I hope there are more cross overs between different threads soon.

#489411 10/12/06 12:18 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Yeah, Vic *was* rocking with the lines this week. And I really enjoyed Mad Scientist Island, and hope to see more of it.

#489412 10/12/06 10:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This is why the Renee/Question story is my favourite. Lots of fun and excitement.

Just spouting off.
#489413 10/12/06 11:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Did you notice the bus from last issue was a 'Fastbak' Turtle of Cpatain Carrot fame.

And the movie that was advertised on the bus 'Silverblade' shows up in the background of ATOM #4 in Silverblade II.

I liked this issue alot. I like Isis powers too with the roses just appearing and the raining. Now we have a Black Marvel Family to battle with the Marvel Family.

Also. the preview of next's week issue with the statues of all the dead JLers. Powerful and that has got to be Phil Jimenz art there. Can't wait to see the new 52 JLA!

#489414 10/12/06 02:48 PM
Active
Active
That definitely looks like Jimenez. And HOPEFULLY, the reason J'onn has turned out the way he has OYL is because of the fates that have befallen his JLI friends...

While the Adam arc is fun, I REALLY wanted to see more of Club Mad Scientist.

And Oohlong island belonged to the robot Egg Fu, Dr. Yes, Pre-Crisis....

Jamie

#489415 10/12/06 03:19 PM
Active
Active
Nightcrawler wrote: Could his ties be to the JSA?

I'm not reading this (I'm too busy with/ broke from school to read anything the last few years except the occasionalmarathon of what's in the rack at Borders) but could the heroine he's about to be connected to be the most obvious- Power Girl? I only really know what's going o from reading what you guys post, so I expect to be wrong. This would give him ties to the JSA, she should have been Daxamite twenty years ago when they started screwing around with her post- crisis origin, OR the new version of Mon/Lar/Valor could be some kind of Kryptonian. I'm not sure where Karen's history is right now, but is it a possibility?

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#489416 10/13/06 02:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
With so many teams and so many heroes, why would anyone ever commit a crime? DCU is starting to get as overpopulated as Marvel's mutant-verse.

Just spouting off.
#489417 10/13/06 03:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think the overpopulation will end by 52/OYL when the public realizes being a hero is not as easy as it looks.

Luthor's Infinity Inc aren't heroes in my book. You just can't put on a costume give yourself a name and say your hero. That's one of the main threads for the Steel/Natasha storyline and the main conflict for the two of them. That's Steel story, what makes a hero.

#489418 10/13/06 06:48 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Haven't completely read this week's yet but some thoughts:

- Seems Jamie's long-held Egg-Fu theory is coming to fruition.

- The Cover to #25 is now available. Two things: (1) a poster speculated on 'could this be three dead heroes by the end of 52?'. (2) Is the Question female there? Does that mean anything? He has Vic's hair but Montoya's body? Interesting clue to the fate of the Question or a...*red hairing* laugh (I stole that line)

- It appears that a connection is becoming more evident linking Will Magnus to Question/Montoya/Black Adam/Isis...

Can't wait to actually sit down and give this comic a proper read!

#489419 10/14/06 02:11 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Solicit to the January issues:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">
52: WEEKS 35-39
Written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid
Breakdowns by Keith Giffen
Art by various
Backup features by Waid and various
Covers by J.G. Jones
Variant cover on WEEK 35 by J.G. Jones
The New Year begins with the deadliest day Metropolis has ever seen — and by the end of the month a villain will stand revealed, a hero will fall in the outer reaches of the galaxy…and the reveal of Supernova will deepen his mysteries even further.
WEEK 35: Art by Phil Jimenez & Andy Lanning, plus The Origin of Black Canary by Waid and Howard Chaykin.
WEEK 36: Art by Chris Batista & Jack Jadson, plus The Origin of Green Arrow by Waid and Tim Sale.
WEEK 37: Art by Patrick Olliffe & Drew Geraci; plus The Origin of Firestorm by Waid and Jamal Igle.
WEEK 38: Art by Shawn Moll & Jadson; plus The Origin of Red Tornado by Waid and Phil Jimenez.
WEEK 39: Art by Joe Bennett & Ruy Jose; plus, The Origin of Mr. Terrific by Waid and Dave Johnson.
Retailers: 52 WEEK 35 will feature two covers that may be ordered separately. Both covers are by J.G. Jones. Please see the Previews Order Form for further details.
52: A year without Superman; a year without Batman; a year without Wonder Woman…but not a year without heroes.
Week 35 on sale January 3 • Week 36 on sale January 10 • Week 37 on sale January 17
Week 38 on sale January 24 • Week 39 on sale January 31 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US</span></span>

#489420 10/17/06 11:17 AM
Active
Active
Spoilers posted by mazingman728 on the DC forums....interesting to say the least. Still no Booster Gold though.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Week 24, Day 1
Star City: Just before the start of an interview with reports in regards to Ollie, running for mayor of Star City in a special election, receives a call on his JLA communicator. It is Firestorm who is looking to get him to join the new Justice League along with Firehawk, Bulleteer, Super Chief and Ambush Bug. Ambush Bug grabs hold of Firestorms arm, which is holding the communicator saying “Hello room service? Send up a plot and three pages of dialogue right away. The weekly grind is tearin’ me apart! Fifty-Two!!”
Firestorm says that he does not know what Fifty-Two is and asks if Ollie knows where J’onn J’onzz is.

Week 24, Day 2
Rhode Island, Original Justice League Headquarters: J’onn is using his vision and strength against something you can’t see at the time and is while talking to himself which fills you in on what he has been doing since he was last seen. J’onn has been deep undercover working with the president to put a stop to Checkmate; the president is unaware that the person he is working with is J’onn. When J’onn is done with his punching and vision you see that he was apparently making statues of fallen Justice League members; this is the scene from last issues “next in 52”.

Week 24, Day 3
Great Wall of China: Black Adam, Isis and Osiris are meeting with the Great Ten. Adam wants to dissolve the New World Power that he set up with the China, Russia and Syria but wants then to still keep in place foreign meta-human activity within their boarders illegal.

Week 24, Day 6
Metropolis: The new Justice League arrives because they are needed due to a time wormhole which is bringing in pirates from the past and cyborgs from the future. A number of bystanders reveal themselves as new heroes ***it’s lie a classically bad issue of “Dial H for Hero” when the readers got to submit their own creations for use***and enter the fight. It is revealed that Skeets is responsible for the time wormhole in order “to draw someone out. An enemy who thinks he can remain hidden from me. I presumed this would constitute enough menace to earn his attention. Apparently I need to up the ante” and Skeets fires upon Firestorm. Skeets then starts firing on all of the heroes killing a number of the new heroes. Super Chief then goes after Skeets in which Skeets countermeasures with a localized chronal acceleration to affect the stone which only gives Super Chief the extra power for up to one hour. Super Chief then falls in a plain where he is seen by an ancient Indian and some wolves. SC calls out for the Manitou Spirit but is told by the Indian “The Spirit cannot hear you John Standing Bear. The Manitou honors only the prayers of the living”. The Indian then grabs the stone, poof Super Chief is gone, and the Indian hands the stone over to Ralph and the Helmet of Fate.

Week 24, Day 7
Oval Office: It is revealed that the president has signed out Checkmate but is then told that Checkmate is now a UN agency. A newspaper article also tells us that the new Justice League has disbanded.

Belle Reve Federal Prison: Amanda Waller is with Atom Smasher. Amanda has AS picking a team of villains to go against Black Adam to help pay off his debt to society.

Next Week in 52 shows Ambush Bug as the Question, as Isis and as Batwoman. These leads one to wonder if Montoya is really running around with the real Question or if she will become the Question as Isis and Batwoman are both new characters introduced in 52.
On this weeks cover I did notice that the Ambush Bug is only wearing half a pair of pants as his right leg has on pants but his left leg does not. I don’t know what kind of clue…if any…the shirt is but half a pair of pants is weird. The ticker on the cover reads “Martian Manhunted!..THE GREAT TEN RETURN!...Ollie for Mayor!...

I also can’t help but think that we are making it harder on ourselves with looking for clues on the cover of each issue by looking at the picture. Maybe the clue is how the logo for 52 is laid out. The pattern is one that is normally used to indicate dawn as in Dawn of the Dead. Is the pattern to resemble that of a helmet? Is it the symbol omega? Is it Darkseid as we are to “Look to the skies”? Am I also making too much of this and looking for clues where there are not any? Oh well.

Origin is Booster Gold by Mark Wade and Dan Jurgens.

</span></span>

Cobie, I've been thinking about that cover since I first saw it. First, I want the Booster costume for my youngest Kael! Second, I think you may be right about the three characters but I'm not entirely convinced....also note that only one of the three characters are unmasked. I can't but help thinking that this is significant.

Jamie

#489421 10/18/06 01:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hahaha Ollie's campaign manager is Elliott S! Maggin. Ambush bug tells stories about conversations with Julius Schwartz.

I'm now thinking there's some sort of massive fourth wall breach coming. The 52 are the 52 greatest comics creators in the history of the DCU and they're actually all having a beer on the other side of the Source.

Obviously no mortal could handle this so that's why the space team has to die.

#489422 10/18/06 02:05 PM
Active
Active
I thought that was pretty funny as well. I was surprised this wasn't mentioned in the spoiler I posted yesterday.

I also want to know what is up with the poster of Starfire in the 'New JLA' HQ/apartment. Was that foreshadowing that she was going to die in space?

I have to say, every time I think it's slow, Skeets shows up and BAM! I'm happy again.

Jamie

#489423 10/18/06 03:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
To be honest, I'm slowly losing interest in this series. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that it focuses on alot of characters that I'm just not that interested in. I think at the moment the main thing keeping me reading is the Doc Magnus/Metal Men storyline.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#489424 10/18/06 04:00 PM
Active
Active
I can see that. You're not the first to mention it and you can see the interaction on this thread dropping off to just a handful of us since this series started.

It's almost too broadly focused. I trust Giffen though when he says the second half is going to be a fast moving train.

Jamie

#489425 10/18/06 04:19 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Speaking of Giffen, it should be noted that at one point in issue # 24, Ambush Bug gets punched, and the sound effect for his grunt is "GFN"

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#489426 10/19/06 01:20 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Alas poor Super Chief - we barely knew ye...

It was pretty funny though seeing the "All-Loser Squad". I wonder if any of them made it out (I'm rooting for that mole boy). "Dark Skeets" is getting kinda scary. It appears he was trying to lure out Superman -- could this be Brainiac??

#489427 10/19/06 12:51 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I was thinking he's trying to lure Super Nova. There's just something not right about that guy.

#489428 10/19/06 03:35 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
I like J'onn's hall of dead JLAers. Here's my listing of them...

Aztek (when did he die?)
(someone partially visible behind/above Aztek - anyone able to identify?)
Rocket Red
Vibe
Ice
Maxima (when did she die?)
(hooded, caped guy I don't recognize - anyone?)
Yazz
Booster Gold, just added
Blue Beetle
Red Tornado (presumed dead bu J'onn at time of story, we know better)
General Glory (when did he die?)
Sue Dibny
Tomorrow Woman
Crimson Fox, both twins
Flash Barry Allen
(unidentified helmet)
(something next to unidentified helmet, possible knee...Steel Hank Heywood?)
Amazing Man
Wonder Woman Hippolyta
unidentified wing - Hawkman, presumed dead?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,750
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Trickster74
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kid Metal \m/
Kid Metal \m/
Kansas City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star