Roll Call
0 members (), 87 Murran Spies, and 390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/01/24 10:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Justice: JLA ....Spoilers?
#494048 08/13/05 06:39 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
right on.

#494049 08/13/05 07:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
While on the subject of the 1973 Superfriends, i was curious as to how Wonder Woman was picked as a main character, considering (pre-CRISIS, ZERO HOUR) she was powerless for a few years. When did her powers return?

#494050 08/13/05 07:25 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
It looks like Wonder Woman regained her powers in Wonder Woman #204, cover dated January-February 1973.

#494051 08/13/05 07:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Here's another bit of trivia: Wonder Woman also appeared in an episode of the "Brady Kids" - was that her first appearance as a cartoon character or did the Super Friends do it first?

#494052 08/14/05 08:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by SouthtownKid:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
[b] The thing about this format that bugs me is that if they spotlight a character each ish, we won't actually get to see the team together til near the end of the series.
Yeah, it really follows the format of the old Silver Age stories Ross is wild about. Except in those days, each chapter focusing on an individual member would have only been about 12 pages, and the whole story would have wrapped up in one comic.
[/b]
Technically, that's a Golden Age format. It was first used in the old JSA stories.

By the time of the JLA, the heroes were teaming in groups of two or three in individual chapters, though that was also pioneered in the JSA series.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#494053 08/14/05 03:15 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
what's with captain marvel and plastic man being in the big group spread. where are my elongated man and ZATANNA?!?!?!?!?!?!?

i detest plastic man.....

#494054 08/15/05 06:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
what's with captain marvel and plastic man being in the big group spread. where are my elongated man and ZATANNA?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Couldn't agree more!!! That's exactly why I'm not buying Justice and very rarely buy any of Ross' vanity projects.

He always claims to be telling a forgotten story from the great Silver Age that he grew up with - but its always his own weird skewed version of the Silver Age. He just can't deal with the fact that Plastic Man and Captain Marvel were never in the JLA back then! So he dumps the characters who were members - Firestorm, Elongated Man, Zatanna (and usually Red Tornado) and pretends like those two were. So annoys me!

And it must confuse the Hell out of newer readers who aren't sure of who actually was a member back then. No wonder the annoying Plastic Man turns up on so many lists of people's Big 7 JLA members over on the DC Boards. They think he has history with the team when all he did was hang around for a few annoying months during the Morrison run. Thank God for Kyle Baker because the continued success of that series is our best hope of never seeing Plastic Man on the team again!

#494055 08/16/05 02:40 AM
Reservist
Reservist
I used to hate Plastic Man, until I read the Archives and discovered the genius of Jack Cole. However...I have to completely agree that although he may be "one of the greatest heroes of all time" (which seems to be Ross' reasoning for including him and Cap Marvel), he belongs nowhere near the JLA, or even the DCU in general. You might as well let Alfred E. Newman join the JLA.

Cole's creation lives in a world with its own set of rules, and its own type of reality...it doesn't mix with the kind of world the other characters live in. It's not a matter of one being better than the other; they are just fundamentally different. Like combining Caddyshack and Schindler's List -- you may like both movies, but if you combine them into one movie, you get guaranteed unwatchable junk.

The same goes for Eisner's 'the Spirit'...one of my favorite comics of all time. His world just works differently... DC's idea to do a new Spirit series is kind of unsettling... DC's idea to set the Spirit in the modern day DCU is a calamity of biblical proportions.

#494056 08/16/05 02:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I know the history of the team and love both Plastic Man and Captain Marvel in the League.

To me, it's a dream come true. I think they both can work given the right writers and artists.

#494057 08/16/05 01:42 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b] what's with captain marvel and plastic man being in the big group spread. where are my elongated man and ZATANNA?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Couldn't agree more!!! That's exactly why I'm not buying Justice and very rarely buy any of Ross' vanity projects.

He always claims to be telling a forgotten story from the great Silver Age that he grew up with - but its always his own weird skewed version of the Silver Age. He just can't deal with the fact that Plastic Man and Captain Marvel were never in the JLA back then! So he dumps the characters who were members - Firestorm, Elongated Man, Zatanna (and usually Red Tornado) and pretends like those two were. So annoys me!

And it must confuse the Hell out of newer readers who aren't sure of who actually was a member back then. No wonder the annoying Plastic Man turns up on so many lists of people's Big 7 JLA members over on the DC Boards. They think he has history with the team when all he did was hang around for a few annoying months during the Morrison run. Thank God for Kyle Baker because the continued success of that series is our best hope of never seeing Plastic Man on the team again![/b]
I guess we really need to define the Silver Age because the only one you mention being left out that I would agree was a member during what I consider the SA (just barely) would be Red Tornado. The others all came much later.

Somewhere around here, there was a thread (by Cobie I think) that did a great job of defining the various ages in comics. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#494058 08/16/05 01:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
When was Plastic Man introduced in the DCU. He was a character that National/DC acquired, right? Isn't the prevailing lore that the writers/editors of Flash didn't know that Plastic Man had been acquired or they would have just reused the name for Ralph as they did for Barry, Hal, Ray and Katar?

#494059 08/16/05 02:10 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Here's the thread I was thinking about.

Cobie\'s Comic Book Ages thread

Some great links in it that basically define the Silver Age as ending around 1970-1972, which is considered the start of the Bronze Age.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#494060 08/16/05 02:16 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
i don't care about ages in this case personally. i just like the line up from the early 80's before justice league detroit. that curt swan and george perez drew. captain marvel can come along too but not at the expense of staples like zatanna and elongated man. this will always be the greatest line up to me, i think of it as the "classic" jla or even the "golden age" jla. the satelite era!!! the jla that inspired squadron supreme and numerous t-shirts.

i still detest plastic man.

#494061 08/16/05 03:15 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I think the problem for me is that you have to dilute Plastic Man down to almost nothing in order to use him in a mainstream DCU book like JLA.

For me, it's like when they were talking about making the next Superman movie with a Superman who didn't wear a costume or fly or any of that -- what's the point? Make a different movie, and call it something else. If you take Plastic Man out of his world, he loses too much, imo.

#494062 08/16/05 05:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Vee - I agree that Firestorm, Zatanna, etc weren't Silver Age members. I think I was just using the term lazily to refer to the pre-Martian invasion 'Satellite era' team that this story seems to be about.

Out of interest though, why do you consider Red Tornado a Silver Age member and not Elongated Man, when they joined an issue apart, and now that I think about it - Elongated Man joined first?

P.S. I don't detest Plastic Man. Jack Cole and even the much-maligned Kyle Baker have told some great stories with him.

But what I do *DETEST* with a capital D for "Damn anyone who tries it!" is any retconning or revising of the JLofA's history! I hate buying a comic about the Satellite-era JLofA (the first comic I ever read and the first comic I ever collected and so it occupies a special place in my comic-lover's heart) and seeing characters who weren't on it inexplicably being treated like members. I even feel my blood pressure rising just at the sight of Black Canary's leggings not matching the colour they were back then. For someone who knows the JLofA as well as I do these little, and in some cases big, continuity changes are just extremely frustrating.

As Legion-lovers just imagine what it would be like if Ross decided to tell a story about the Adventure-era Legion but included Robin and Wildfire on the team with no explanation and had Phantom Girl in a black costume. Sure, he might like the changes he's made but as fans who want to read a story about the team as it was it would be very frustrating for us!

#494063 08/16/05 06:40 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by SouthtownKid:
I think the problem for me is that you have to dilute Plastic Man down to almost nothing in order to use him in a mainstream DCU book like JLA.

For me, it's like when they were talking about making the next Superman movie with a Superman who didn't wear a costume or fly or any of that -- what's the point? Make a different movie, and call it something else. If you take Plastic Man out of his world, he loses too much, imo.
i confess to everyone in this thread that i have little experience with plastic man beyond cartoons, the recent jla, and the old all star squadron comics.

detestable eh

#494064 08/16/05 06:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
OK, here's how it stands. CRISIS mucked up a lot of the League's back-history by eliminating Superman, Batman and Wonder Wonder Woman from continuity. This means that WW's "De-powering" during the late 60's isnt considered canonical, which means her twelve trials to regain JLA membership aren't applicable any more, either.

The League's origins are, apparently, in as much a mess as the Legion's. So any stories involving the League before CRISIS had to undergo a drastic change afterwards. Black Canary did not have a career on Earth-2, but her daughter (the current Canary) does. Furthermore, she replaced WW as the token babe of the League in its early years.

IMHO, the League needs to have a chronology chart drawn up so that fans can be advised as to which stories happened and which stories didnt.

I'm assuming that the Detroit League newcomers (Vixen, Steel, Vibe and Gypsy) aren't considered members in the current timeline. Speaking of which, i suppose the events of ZERO HOUR have de-stabilised the membership origins even more. Their first mission is not (and apparently never was) to combat the alien forces of Appellax as it was in the very beginning (that is, in the old multiple-Earth universe).

I guess with another CRISIS on the way, more retroactive casualties are to be expected.

Brian

#494065 08/16/05 07:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Basically all the JLA stories can be assumed to have happened as told or slighly altered except the multiple earth crossovers and where wonder woman was central to the plot ie Dinah could not be substituted.

Brian the chronology you describe exists in two volumes.

JLA Year 1 by Waid and Kitson shows the origin of Black Canary and her relationship with her mother the Golden age Black Canary of the JSA.

JLA Incarnations miniseries picks it up from there.

The JLA incarnations miniseries establishes that:
1) Golden age Hawks joined the League to liase between the JSA and JLA (replacing Katar and Shay who didn't exist yet)
2) Batman and Superman joined the league later in the silver age. (WW did not because she did not appear until the Legends miniseries which was 6 years ago to the characters)
3) The league broke up because the big 7 didn't have enough time to commit to the league.
4) Shows how the satellite was destroyed in current continuity.
5) JLDetroit happened and was disbanded by anti-hero sentiment in Legends.
6) JLI formed and were goofy.
7) The big 7 got back together.

#494066 08/16/05 07:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I heard of the JLA: Year One mini-series, Tamper Lad, and how, interestingly enough, Barry Kitson (current artist on the current Legion title) did the artwork.

Questions: Did the Atom join the JLA post-CRISIS?
Or Red Tornado, Zatanna?

#494067 08/16/05 07:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Mark Waid wrote so JLA:Y1 was another in their long line of collaborations.

Atom and Zatanna for sure. They play a big part in last year's identity crisis (I think I told you on another thread about Jean and Sue Dibny).

Red Tornado's status was established in JLA/JSA Secret Files where he says that he had been part of both the JLA and JSA in the silver age but declines to rejoin either team as he was mentoring Young Justice at the time.

#494068 08/16/05 07:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So much to catch up on....Thanks for the info, TL!

#494069 08/16/05 07:52 PM
Reservist
Reservist
i confess to everyone in this thread that i have little experience with plastic man beyond cartoons, the recent jla, and the old all star squadron comics.

detestable eh
It's okay... I've heard reports of many people going on to lead productive and long lives, even without liking Plastic Man. Still... if you start to feel chest pains, take a couple asprin and get hold of an Archive Edition quick.

Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Basically all the JLA stories can be assumed to have happened as told or slighly altered except the multiple earth crossovers and where wonder woman was central to the plot ie Dinah could not be substituted.
I always found it vaguely insulting that their solution was just to substitute Canary..."Well, she's a woman -- just as good! Problem solved!" It always made me wonder whatever happened to Black Canary's invisible jet, and how come she never uses her super strength anymore, etc., etc.

#494070 08/16/05 08:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah the Canary retcon kinda sucked but DC's silver age female roster is quite sparse. I liked the New Frontier origin of the JLA as the generational story of a merged earth much better but what can you do.

#494071 08/16/05 08:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Typo!!!! Wonder Woman had the invisible jet and magic lasso - Canary had the sonic cry

Don't worry, Southtown Kid, i've made boo-boos like that myself

#494072 08/16/05 08:35 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
ok can someone briefly explain the black canary retcon please. shes one of my fav league characters...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,839
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star