Roll Call
1 members (Sarcasm Kid), 90 Murran Spies, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
What I found today at my LCS!
by thoth lad - 06/02/24 03:22 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/02/24 02:37 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/02/24 01:53 PM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LEGION:SECRET ORIGIN#1 (preview & spoilers)
#594178 10/20/11 06:28 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Re: LEGION:SECRET ORIGIN#1 (preview & spoilers)
#594179 10/21/11 11:45 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
heh Brainiac 5 --- smile being smug and on an ego trip.

although Chris's arts....whoa..NICE and AWESOME....I can see much more clearer and more crisper than before . really an improvement. Me like it!!!

#594180 10/21/11 01:13 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Man, these preview pages blew me away. I can't wait until the book comes out next week.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#594181 10/21/11 01:22 PM
Active
Active
Nice artwork, but... hardly any Legion so far... frown

#594182 10/26/11 08:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That was a great first issue. Seems like Paul is folding some ideas from other boots in here (Cargg had a great disaster that depopulated it, seeded worlds, etc.)

I like that we're seeing Tinya's debut, something I don't recall from before (I didn't read 5YG).

I'm also intrigued by the politics that dominate the issue, as long as we don't get mired in it like Waid eventually was in the threeboot, I think this is a promising start to the start.

#594183 10/26/11 08:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thumbs up for the first issue. It just seems like the artwork in many DC books of late has been top notch. Batista and Deering continue that trend. Batista's style is a bit different from his past work on the Legion. It's still recognizable as his work, but a bit cleaner? Perhaps the storytelling is more straight forward? I'm not sure I can put my finger on it, but I like the look and feel.

Levitz has said in interviews that this is supposed to be new information about the Legion's origin that we just didn't know before. Whatever. I'm approaching the current Legion books as a reboot starting after Flashpoint. I'm not one to freak out about reboots. They're needed from time-to-time. As such, this issue works for me. We're starting from the ground floor, and all the information we need is right there. Brainy gets the most screen time, but Tinya steals the show. That works. This is a different interpretation of Brande. Not quite as likable as previous versions, but more realistic. I'm curious to see more.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#594184 10/26/11 09:24 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Not a bad story, but...

What the heck does an Earthman bring to the table, on that secret panel, or whatever it was? He's not smarter than the Coluan, and can't see the future like the Naltorian. Is his presence just Earth-chauvinism on Levitz's part?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#594185 10/26/11 09:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
If I could get reviews up before Jerry did, he'd be agreeing with me. As it is, it seems I just always agree with him. Jerry, bro, you're the most insightful person I know!

I liked all the fashion designs, and especially Lu's costume. The one-shoulder cape, the tailored purple tunic, the three tasteful white circles on her chest--all made a classy ensemble. And she had her signature high collar and sideflip hairstyle. Very nice!

;-)

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#594186 10/26/11 09:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I won't get the issue until tomorrow, but the preview pages are wonderful!
Paul is taking time to explore, while presenting a mystery to build on and tie the introductions together.
I like that he used Admirable Allon, Gim's father, right?
The un-named aide, the blonde gal, might be Imra?
I'm sure I'll know more when I get the book.
sigh

I get the feeling the Coluans are 'getting a problem' off planet, with their generous donation to the cause, Brainy.
lol

The Talokians did the same thing with Umbra in the reboot.

Is Boffin a Coluan?
He's green but he looks to me like he's wearing a baseball cap and he's kind of pudgy!
I think that's a fantastically different idea for a Coluan, if that's what Mr. Batista did.

I hope the pages and panels remain this clear and bright.
I can actually see details and expressions and read the words without a struggle.
sigh
Thanks, Chris and team!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#594187 10/26/11 09:49 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Okay, LT -- Next issue I'll wait and let you go first!!

Candle, you'll enjoy the visuals in the rest of the issue. Clear and bright all the way through.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#594188 10/26/11 10:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the encouragement, Jerry! hug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#594189 10/27/11 06:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Not a bad story, but...

What the heck does an Earthman bring to the table, on that secret panel, or whatever it was? He's not smarter than the Coluan, and can't see the future like the Naltorian. Is his presence just Earth-chauvinism on Levitz's part?
I think there's a story there, as in the narration he says the Coluan is good for his intellect, the Naltoraian for her insight and then he's about to list his attribute but the narration is interrupted.

#594190 10/27/11 12:32 PM
I really, really enjoyed the issue all around. But, for the sake of newer readers, I think that the "classic" aspects of the Legion's origin should get more play.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#594191 10/27/11 01:07 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I would think that a comic that 1) is titled "Secret Origin", and 2) comes out a month after all DC's new #1s, should be a little more friendly to new readers than this. The story just assumed you knew the classic origin already and told its story around it, without actually including enough details of the classic origin to make it opbvious to a new reader. Some parts were downright misleading (we know that Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy have planetary powers, but a new reader would assume "ordinary kids" means they have no powers).

#594192 10/27/11 07:23 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I really liked this issue and was bummed when I came to the end...I wanted more. I will agree that a bit more time spent on the origin would help new readers, especially considering the ring give a way mostly likely attracted newbies? I guess we'll have to wait and see what Paul has planned.

#594193 10/27/11 11:30 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Great issue! Chris Batista's art is a feast for the eyes.
I let a co-worker's 12 year old son read it & he LOVED it. Now he's making his dad take him to the local CBS to buy more Legion issues.
Yay, I recruited a new Legion fan!

#594194 10/28/11 09:14 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
If the text hadn't mentioned Cargg and it's triple sun, I never would have suspected that was supposed to be Lu, or that this person which, to me, looked like she might be Cosmic Boy's sister or something, could triplicate. The arrangement of that scene, with her standing in front of the three Legionnaires, and then something shimmery around her, made it seem more like she had a force-field or something, than that she had just recombined.

Tinya seems to have more going on, in this appearance, which is nice, although, unsurprisingly, there was a lot of wasted time on Brainy, who's already about as fleshed out as the Founders, and hardly needed any new back-development.

I kinda like the secret council, that attempts to anticipate and respond to new trends and events in real time.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#594195 10/28/11 11:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The council has a pretty impossible task, especially since the precog isn't seeing many specifics. It would be so easy to come to a wrong conclusion and act in a way that is destructive to the timeline.

The same idea for the Science Police who seem to gage meta power levels and either capture and store or down power or destroy anyone that they deem to be too potentially powerful.
The SP especially, idea might explain why most of the early Legionnaires had mostly single powers that are on a low level (Lar and the Supes excepted, but there might be a special reason that the two groups allowed their inclusion in the Legion.)

Love the gals outfits!
I wish they were wearing them in the main series.

Tinya's pretty gutsy coming to a different universe through a wormhole.
imo

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#594196 10/29/11 09:21 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Set:
If the text hadn't mentioned Cargg and it's triple sun, I never would have suspected that was supposed to be Lu, or that this person which, to me, looked like she might be Cosmic Boy's sister or something, could triplicate. The arrangement of that scene, with her standing in front of the three Legionnaires, and then something shimmery around her, made it seem more like she had a force-field or something, than that she had just recombined.
I had exactly the same reaction. It was a too condensed (or badly illustrated) version of her initial appearance where she meets each of the 3 founders separately and then surprises them by recombining. This aspect didn't come across at all although it seems to be the intent. I hated Lu's new costume at first but then thought I did like the cape over the shoulder but was distracted by the awful (what looks like armour plating) on the rest of it. The overall look is too militaristic for my liking.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#594197 11/01/11 11:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just bought this today and, although I didn't read it yet, I did try on my free flight ring.

Very happy to get one, mind you, but... yeesh... they really make these things for sort of "Blok-sized" folks don't they? We little "Brek-sized" guys better be careful they don't accidentally fall off in mid-flight. smile

#594198 11/01/11 11:17 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Just bought this today and, although I didn't read it yet, I did try on my free flight ring.

Very happy to get one, mind you, but... yeesh... they really make these things for sort of "Blok-sized" folks don't they? We little "Brek-sized" guys better be careful they don't accidentally fall off in mid-flight. smile
No stores in my area ordered large enough quantities to get rings.

#594199 11/04/11 08:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mine, either.
frown

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#594200 11/04/11 11:43 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Mycroft refers to Brande's 'gratuitously upholstered form' despite being, IMO, dressed in a far more decorative and stylish outfit.

Yanno who else criticizes people for violating sumptuary laws and dressing inappropriately in Paul Levitz's 31st century?

Durlans.

Perhaps Mycroft isn't quite as 'human' as he appears...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#594201 11/05/11 12:30 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
That was a great first issue. Seems like Paul is folding some ideas from other boots in here (Cargg had a great disaster that depopulated it, seeded worlds, etc.)

I like that we're seeing Tinya's debut, something I don't recall from before (I didn't read 5YG).
Actually, there was a tale published in SECRET ORIGINS #42 by the Bierbaums which featured Tinya, which portrayed Bgztl as already a member of the UP, thus she was a rebellious runaway stowing away on a interdimensional cargo vessel, as opposed to the 'first contact' scenario Levitz depicted with Brainy. To her people, Earth was known as "Bgztl 2."

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#594202 11/05/11 01:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Korbal:
Actually, there was a tale published in SECRET ORIGINS #42 by the Bierbaums which featured Tinya, which portrayed Bgztl as already a member of the UP, thus she was a rebellious runaway stowing away on a interdimensional cargo vessel, as opposed to the 'first contact' scenario Levitz depicted with Brainy. To her people, Earth was known as "Bgztl 2."
Wouldn't that have been from the "Glorithverse" timeline though?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,853
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000