Roll Call
0 members (), 48 Murran Spies, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/16/24 05:17 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/16/24 05:00 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/16/24 04:42 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/16/24 04:12 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 10 JUNE*
by razsolo - 06/16/24 04:27 AM
Why he was arrested.
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:49 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: Legion Of Super Heroes #1
#604452 05/19/10 09:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Mattropolis:
I know, I had the same feeling about Thom, Jeckie and Nura...
Look on the bright side - those characters are alive and kicking.

My all-time favorite Legionnaire is now dead again.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#604453 05/19/10 09:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I thought it was a lot of fun, even as big, heavy serious stuff was happening. I feel like Harmonia will be the Legion's new Ron Vidar and...are there sparks already between her and Brainy, or did I imagine that?

I think Paul is still finding his voice for the Legion and Legionnaires again, but that's understandable. I still think it's a promising start.

I wish the characters looked a bit more like they did in the Baxter series. Most of them either looked younger somehow or had hairstyles and costumes too dissimilar to what they used to. I know this is a holdover from Gary Frank, but it seemed more distracting than it was in Superman/LSH or L3W because the Legion are now in their own book.

I hope Paul explores what happened in the ?-year gap between what happened in his last issue and the Lightning Saga and Superman/LSH. There's some 'splainin' to do, but I know the wheels are already a-turnin' in Paul's mind. I have confidence in him.

I think the only thing that bothered me in the issue was how cold the Legionnaires seemed toward what happened to Titan. This kind of disaster was very uncommon in the original continuity, so I thought it would be devasting for them not to be able to save the planet. I would think that some of them would have risked their lives to get more people out up into zero hour, but they seemed resigned that they got all they could. Other than Imra, it seemed the only reason anyone felt anything was because of the telepaths' psychic death throes. I'm sure Paul approached things this way in order to make the story as accessible as possible, but it seemed a bit of a shorthand for longtime fans.

Still, I like that Paul is taking Geoff's set-up by the nads instead of just ignoring or glossing it over. The Justice League of Earth story should have repercussions, and the idea of the Legion having Earth Man forced on them is as novel a way of approaching it as I can think of. Revisiting Sodam Yat and the rebirth of the GLC was a smart move, too.

I also thought Dyogene was pretty rad--for some reason I hope he'll meet Gates and/or Quislet at some point!

I definitely would've liked to have seen more Legionnaires, but we got solid looks at Brainy and Imra in the issue. Imra is as fierce as I remember her, and whatever took her boys better look out! Brainy seemed a little regressed from how I remember him somehow, but it's admittedly been a long time since I've read Paul's version of the character. There was enough there to make me want more.

It's kind of a vaguely-defined threat, isn't it? On the surface what happened to Titan seems basically an accident caused by snoopy time scientists with no malevalence immediately evident. The main hint that there's something bigger going on came from the scenes on Oa and the references to this event being foretold. In the end both central plot elements come together in the form of the deputizing of Earth Man as 2814's GL.

So at this point it's difficult to say exactly what Paul's first story arc is all about. That's not entirely a bad thing as there would appear to be no particular formula for a Legion story we've read before. It's kind of like the first chapter or two of a novel to which we haven't read the dust cover to yet, so we have to simply read on to see what it's all about.

No, not a bad thing at all.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#604454 05/19/10 09:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
CBR Review is up : 3 out of 5 stars.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#604455 05/19/10 10:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Is 3 of 5 stars considered good at CBR? Average? The reviewer seemed to think the issue... serviceable, I guess??

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#604456 05/19/10 10:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Better than zero.

I think, from now on, whenever someone gets a review on CBR, they're going to say, "it's better than what Villains for Hire got".

#604457 05/19/10 10:08 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Did anyone recognize the woman in bed with Brek?

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#604458 05/19/10 10:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I did not. I thought maybe it was Lydda?

Touch the magic...
#604459 05/19/10 10:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sinde??!?!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#604460 05/19/10 10:31 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Stiletta or Styx ?

#604461 05/19/10 10:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Welcome back to the Legion, Paul Levitz. I wish you a long and prosperous run this time out.

I give the premier issue a solid B, and see lots of promise. I came into this issue carrying a lot of baggage. The introduction of the Approximate Legion has been poorly handled in many regards. As a loyal reader and fan of the Five Years Later, DnA, and much of the 3Boot, I've felt that my loyalty has been repeatedly rewarded with insult and disdain from DC editors and fans of the original Legion. Many times, those insults came from editors and fans who didn't seem to get that I was a fan of the original Legion. In spite of this baggage, I have faith in Levitz as a writer. That faith has to do with his commitment as a writer, his characterization of the Legionnaires, and his ability to manage the large cast and multiple ideas. Those qualities were all on display here.

Levitz had plenty of B issues or worse in his original runs. The strength of his work on the title came with his ability to tell a comprehensible story over time. The Legionnaires all grew under his care. He left a very different team than he started with. Am I thrilled with Earth Man as the newest member? Nope. Am I confident that I will get to know him better as the story unfolds? Yes, I am.

Saturn Girl was written well. That’s huge to me. I loved the way she kept her emotions in check while the twins disappeared and her world crumbled. She stood up to Brainiac 5 in a way that nobody else could have. It wasn’t rude or snarky. It was determination. She was right. He knew it. Bravo.

I look forward to watching Cinar grow as an artist. There were parts of the art that I wasn’t crazy about, but there were other parts that were just brilliant. I especially liked the full page on Titan with Colossol Boy, Brainiac 5, Cosmic Boy, Ultra Boy, Sun Boy, and Dawnstar. Nice team visual without being too crowded.

The text page was nice too.

So, we’re off to a solid start.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#604462 05/19/10 10:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Jerry, re: the text page, I **LOVED** it.

Paul loved interacting with fans on the old LSH letters page... I hope he gets a regular text page now.

#604463 05/19/10 10:59 PM
Active
Active
Hello, fellow friends! Back after soooo long!

And THAT'S how a Legion book should be like. Haven't been this interested since Giffen left the book (even though I enjoyed the hell out of Shooter's brief run - but that team concept was wrong).

I do hope Levitz get as far away as possible from the mediocre infantile drama that Johns changed the book into, and does exactly what he did now: a Legion book that jumps around, focus on a billion different things and it is crammed with content (not shock-value black-and-white scenes).

It seriously reads like a v3 book and the team SOUNDS/FEELS older already. Great!

Now, if we could only get some annuals/fill-ins done with Giffen, Grell and Lightle...

#604464 05/19/10 11:04 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
FINALLY!

So, they do indeed still have Graym and Garridan, and all this time the two have been with Garth's family on Winath, until Imra thought it'd be nice for the two to see Titan.

Was that so hard, Johns?! Two years for a single frickin thought box?!
You are asking too much from the guy who gave us Everybody but The Legion of 3 Million Retcons Cos I Wanna.

#604465 05/19/10 11:05 PM
Leader
Leader
I just remembered. Saturn Girl appears to be telekinetic now. That's a new one on me and I'm not sure I liked it. Her power's been too well defined for too long to suddenly grow new aspects. I hope they aren't trying to turn her into Jean Grey.

The head shot of her being all philosophical with the gold circle (halo) behind her reminded me of old saint icons from art history classs.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#604466 05/19/10 11:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You're right, I also noticed that TK-looking panel... I doubt Imra head-butted the glass...

I'm not sure how I feel about this... on one hand, it's a natural addition/progression, on the other, it sort-of negates characters like Tellus, Kinetix and Life Lass ever adding anything new to the team.

#604467 05/19/10 11:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
WOW, I didn't even notice that. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Touch the magic...
#604468 05/19/10 11:13 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Why would the Oan thingy choose Earthman? Aren't Green Lanterns chosen for their moral character? And wasn't the Green Lantern Corps an interstellar organization even more racially diverse than the LSH? Maybe this will be explained.
I think since Johns got into Green Lantern, it became less about morals and more about Willpower. We must not forget that Sinestro himself was a Green Lantern, so it's not like he was morally superior. That sounds more akin to the blue lantern.

#604469 05/19/10 11:14 PM
Leader
Leader
There are 2 panels. There's also one where she appears to be keeping a column from collapsing on a couple crouching below. It's a little confusing. In the next panel, she's flying around with some kid in her arms, which left me thinking, "did she save those people or not? Was this kid under the column too and he's the only one she could save?", etc.

#604470 05/19/10 11:18 PM
Leader
Leader
I just looked again and there's another panel on the same page as I described above (what the hell was wrong with page numbers btw?). It's also unclear, but it looks like she might be preventing debris from falling on civilians with her newfound telekinesis.

#604471 05/19/10 11:21 PM
Active
Active
I just looked again and there's another panel on the same page as I described above (what the hell was wrong with page numbers btw?). It's also unclear, but it looks like she might be preventing debris from falling on civilians with her newfound telekinesis.
Somehow I thought it would just be some sort of Flight Ring improvement, using her brain power, rather than TK. But that's just me, I guess.

#604472 05/19/10 11:25 PM
Leader
Leader
But she's using her standard "hand gestures around her face to show she's using her telepathy" in all 3 scenes.

#604473 05/19/10 11:35 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Titan is not a planet,m so that isn't really destroying a planet (though I suppose it's a "world"). And at least they actually did the smart thing and prepared for disasters, so although lots of people died we won't see any last-of-their-world plots. Destroying a world is almost always a bad idea; it provides shock value for one issue and then the writers have to live with it forever. It's sort of like killing a character that way, except a world is harder to bring back.

I too thought Brainy was a little too mentally unbalanced here.

And Dawnstar's costume exposed so much of her breasts that we should be seeing nipples (or at least areolas).

#604474 05/20/10 12:49 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I enjoyed this issue. It was refreshing to read a comic with so much going on (take that Bendis!). I loved the characterization Levitz gave everyone, even minor characters like the Time Institute scientists and the SP guards at the beginning (yay for Mike!). I also enjoyed the focus on Saturn Girl. When I read the Legion during the Reboot and during Waid's run, I never could get into her character. But here I was hooked into her right away.

And I'm excited to see where these plots go from here. Will there be backlash on Earth to all these Titanian refugees? Are Imra and Garth the relationship Levitz mentioned was over? So many questions!

Why would the Oan thingy choose Earthman? Aren't Green Lanterns chosen for their moral character? And wasn't the Green Lantern Corps an interstellar organization even more racially diverse than the LSH? Maybe this will be explained.
Well, it seems like it's a replacement for Mogo. The sentient planet and Green Lantern Mogo has been established as the moral compass of the Green Lanterns. He's the one who guides rings to new sentients based on their moral fiber and ability to overcome fear. So if Mogo is dead in the 31st century, this Dyogene has taken over the role of handing out rings. We don't know yet what criteria it's using to pick our new GLs, but since it's picking Earth Man I'm guessing one criteria is being a sociopath.

Cosmic Boy says "if we can make a public example that Earthers can work with offworlders it'll help make peace stick." Um. Sun Boy is sitting right next to him. So is Colossal Boy. And Invisible Kid's around here somewhere . . . And Bouncing Boy's right over there . . .
And how well were Earth Legionnaires treated while Earth Man and the other Rejects were in charge? My guess is that Kirt's allies view them as race traitors and people like Earth Man as true Earthers. As the icon of the xenophobic movement, Earth Man might just make a good public example like Cos said.

#604475 05/20/10 12:59 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Oh, and I also thought it was a fun nod that the Time Institute people kept mentioning Flashpoint, the upcoming event that Geoff Johns is working on. I like seeing *wink wink nudge nudge* style teasers.

#604476 05/20/10 01:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't get my copy until tomorrow afternoon but I'm really excited about it after reading these posts.

I agree that Imra having TK powers would be a natural progression and I'm thrilled for her.
She needed something to take her out of the boring telepath non-action heroine.
Levitz can be much more active with her in TK/TP mode.

I hope he does similar things with others.
It's only natural that their powers would mature with them and we've seen similar things before.

For example: Vi went from getting mouse size (moset Adventure stories) to being able to go microscopic (or smaller) during the GDS.

I'm also excited to see him deal with the twins and the 'curse'.

The art in the 5 page preview seemed wonderful.
I really loved the look at Titan and Aven.

I can't stand EM/AB but what can you do?
I never liked Universo, either.

I love seeing LASH so excited and jumping around!
I'm glad someone reminded him of Tenzil in the past with the other ESers.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,199
Legionnaires1,730