Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/06/24 04:55 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/06/24 02:42 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 01:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 11:53 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 11:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/06/24 11:41 AM
What I found today at my LCS!
by rickshaw1 - 06/06/24 11:12 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Spoilers....... Issue #34, Childhood's End
#60763 07/05/04 10:39 AM
K
Applicant
Applicant
K
Interesting reading everyone's reactions to the issue. I've checked a couple of different message boards and reaction seems to be running about 75% pro and 25% con. This board here has had the most negative reactions that I've seen.

Believe me, if Steve and I could have had a couple of issues to flesh the story out, we would have. Unfortunately, we only had one issue to cram a lot of story into. I do think that every question is answered in the issue, even if it's done subtly.

I anticipated people having a problem with using the first six pages to set up Qward. It's something I was concerned I was taking too long to do and that I talked over with the editor. He seemed to think it was OK and I trust his judgement.

As far as the plethora of omnipotent dictators in Legion lately, #34 was written over a year and a half ago. How was I to know there'd be so many in the intervening 18 issues?

Anyway, for those of you that enjoyed it, I'm glad. For those that didn't...sorry. We certainly gave it the ol' college try.

Especially interesting to me is the speculation as to the identity of the skeletons in the battery with Wildfire. I certainly knew who they were when I wrote the script but no one has hit it yet.

Best wishes to you all!
Keith

#60764 07/05/04 11:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Well, I had assumed that the other skeletons inside the "Battery" were the remains of the other Weaponers that Thalon mentions as having participated in the project of capturing Wildfire.

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#60765 07/05/04 12:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't know why I keep fine-tuning this thing (if anyone even notices the differences at this point). Maybe because I'm trying to find a way to be comfortable with this new coloring... [Linked Image]

#60766 07/05/04 12:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by SteveLightle:
It's ironic that a design that harkens back to the ORIGINAL has been referred to as generic. That was exactly my first thought upon seeing the "robot soldier" design that Wildfire received after the reboot. He looked to me just like any armored Science Police officer or robot drone etc...
Thanks for coming here and letting us in on your choices -- it's certainly not easy when you know there's bound to be those who disagree. I certainly appreciate the fact that you redesigned Wildfire with the notion that he might be a solo star (one day...) and I certainly think Cockrum's design is a classic. Despite the fact that I loved Coipel's design, I can understand your reaction to it (I love that you kept the glowing "star window" in his chest). Although I liked the fact that it seemed lo-tech since it was a product of Kwai technoloy as much as 31st century UP. The fact that it seemed a tad rickety and slapdash (the way Coipel drew it more than Batista) gave Wildfire a certain vulnerability, imo as well as showing he was a rough-n-tumble kinda guy. It looked like it could take some punishment unlike the old suits where he would "pop" whenever the suit teared.

Well, we'll wee if this is all moot by the end of the year anyway...

#60767 07/05/04 01:08 PM
Active
Active
Blacula -

Doesn't Brainiac 5 say something about Wildfire looking different in an anti-matter universe than he does in the Legion's universe? Maybe that can serve as an explanation as to why he doesn't look like Blast-Off or Atom'x.

Keith - so just who were those 2 skeletons supposed to be?

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#60768 07/05/04 01:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by keithchampagne:
Interesting reading everyone's reactions to the issue. I've checked a couple of different message boards and reaction seems to be running about 75% pro and 25% con. This board here has had the most negative reactions that I've seen.
Er...does it help that both of the owners of this message board throughly enjoyed it. I'd love to see a whole (Legion-related, maybe WILDFIRE? smile ) series by both Keith and Steve! Wildfire1

Especially interesting to me is the speculation as to the identity of the skeletons in the battery with Wildfire. I certainly knew who they were when I wrote the script but no one has hit it yet.
Wow. I thought they were just generic Thunderers. Now I've got to go through my back issues! Hints, at least? GREEN LANTERN, GUY GARDNER, CRISIS, SUPERBOY AND THE RAVERS? Help!

#60769 07/05/04 02:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
Well, I had assumed that the other skeletons inside the "Battery" were the remains of the other Weaponers that Thalon mentions as having participated in the project of capturing Wildfire.
That's what I thought.

#60770 07/05/04 03:04 PM
Active
Active
To Steve and Keith,

I must say it was one of my favorite Legion story in a long time. I liked how the story was centered on Vox, and the way the Legionnaires were introduced in the story. Beautiful art and great story!

Is it me or does Lord Thalon is wearing the anti-monitor armor? And what about Vox asking his father how did he attack the infinite worlds?

#60771 07/05/04 03:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thinking about who has had the mispleasure to die on planet Qward, surely the two skeletons aren't... Barry Allen and Kara Zor-El? smile

Anyways, thanks for coming on and checking out the comments, Keith and Steve. I think this board has a fairly unique aesthetic as far as the LSH stories it tends to go for.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#60772 07/05/04 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Everyone hated the recent funny issue by Giffen, too... but I LOVED it!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#60773 07/05/04 04:11 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
As far as the plethora of omnipotent dictators in Legion lately, #34 was written over a year and a half ago. How was I to know there'd be so many in the intervening 18 issues?
You should have consulted Nura. smile

Seriously, Keith, I don't fault you for that. In fact, I think you did a great job of setting up the situation on Qward. The six-page intro was not wasted.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#60774 07/05/04 06:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
I don't know why I keep fine-tuning this thing (if anyone even notices the differences at this point).
For what it's worth, I notice the differences fine.

I haven't picked up my copy of #34 yet, so I can't comment on the story yet.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#60775 07/06/04 12:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I haven't either! I can't play yet.... frown

#60776 07/06/04 11:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hi Steve. I really appreciate your coming on here and explaining your thought processes in changing Wildfire's costume, and in his appearance. I'm sorry if my posts came off as overly harsh. I guess I just really liked, and still do like, Coipel's design. But I must say that I did enjoy your point about the Cockrum costume (and your re-design) simply being a pile of clothes until Wildfire inhabited it, whereupon it literally comes alive. That is kinda cool!

As for Wildfire's humanoid appearance - What happens when you merge two spirits/energy forms into one??? I'm willing to speculate that a new third form, composed of elements of each, would result. I completely agree. Which is why I would've assumed that the "third form" of Blast-Off (black) and Atom'x (white) would've been mixed race. But this guy didn't seem to look like that. In fact I couldn't really see any elements that looked like they might have come from either of those 2 characters. I'd be very interested to hear what elements you had in mind when you designed that form.

Hi Keith. Sorry to you also if my post was overly critical. I definitely take your point re: having written the issue 18 months ago and not knowing what we readers would've been sick of seeing (or wanted to see more of) after DnA's run. For what its worth, I did enjoy your issue a LOT more than most of their run in this series and would also like to see you give this team another shot one day.

Best of luck to both of you in the future!

#60777 07/06/04 11:18 AM
K
Applicant
Applicant
K
No worries, Blacula. You pay good money for the issue, you've got a right to voice your opinion whether it be pro or con.

I enjoy the positive feedback but also learn from the negative so it's all good in my book.

Keith

#60778 07/06/04 05:51 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Remember to look at the L34 Calling the Roll too smile

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#60779 07/07/04 11:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have to say it was a great read for me. I think Keith did a fine job setting up a story and telling it all in one issue. I was excited to see how it would end, and surprised that Vox took the route he did. Well done Keith, a great story for a newbie (of sorts.)

Steve's artwork is AMAZING! I like his work, much better here than even his Umbra spotlight issue. I think it's Rhonda's colours that did it. However it ended up, congrats to everyone who worked on it.

Just spouting off.
#60780 07/07/04 01:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!???!!!

sorry. I couldn't resist.

I like both Wildfires, although the merger-of-two aspect never appealed to me.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#60781 07/07/04 01:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hmmm....

Talk of Barry and Kara got me thinking.
anyone notice that the villain's name, Thalon, rearranged, comes out as:

not Hal
???

Intentional, Keith? given the villain treatment poor Hal got last decade?

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#60782 07/07/04 07:00 PM
K
Applicant
Applicant
K
That Thalon/not Hal thing is a pretty cool coincidence. I wish I was smart enough to think of something like that.

How many of you picked up on the fact that Lord Thalon was pretending he was the second coming of the Anti Monitor? I wasn't allowed to use the actual name but I was hoping it would still be obvious.

Keith

#60783 07/07/04 09:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
How many of you picked up on the fact that Lord Thalon was pretending he was the second coming of the Anti Monitor? I wasn't allowed to use the actual name but I was hoping it would still be obvious.
Well, that's interesting. In what context would you have used the name? And what was the reasoning for not being able to use the name??

You've also stated before that you're a Wildfire fan so I was eager to see this issue, but honestly, it seemed like he was barely in it! There wasn't really any characterization and we never got inside his head. He went through a life changing experience but it just seemed to me like something that happened to him as opposed to something that he went through personally. Since you're not writing any further issues I have to wonder if we'll ever really see his reaction to what happened. At the very least I was hoping for a clearer definition of his relationship with Shikari. Was there something I missed?

#60784 07/08/04 03:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Now that I've finally read the issue, I can comment on it!

Steve Lightle's artwork is the biggest positive, for sure. I have some comments to make about his Legion portrayals. A general statement about Umbra's outfit--I think it's fantastic. She obviously wants to show the universe that she is feminine and beautiful AND powerful. She is in peak physical condition and should be proud to show it. I believe that with 31st century technology, clothing can easily be as revealing as desired and not be plagued with "wardrobe malfunctions" as happens today. Steve's version of Tasmia is pretty much perfect because he captures not only her beauty, but her strength. Lyle and Val looked great. I'd never noticed the shoulder pads before. Now I want to go back and look at other artists' renditions to find them. Still, The guys looked young and handsome, consistent with other renditions of them. In fact, Steve's version of KK is way better than the one from Legion Worlds. The KK depicted in Legion Worlds looked like a 35 year old man. Lyle looked just fine with sideburns. He can always remove them if he wants. Cham looked great. Steve kept consistent with Coipel's version of him, with the animated antennae and ears. Loved seeing Tellus, in a way. Glowing spots! Again, Steve's version of Brainy was consistent with Coipel's, meaning I definitely liked it. I've said before that I've retroactively given even the preboot Brainy these features. Okay, I may be going against the tide here, but I LOVE Wildfire's new uniform!! The red and yellow and black combo totally works for me. I like the sorta extra feather-y wings around the glowing star on his chest. I like the loose fabric at the neckline. I like the pointed cuff of the boots. I like the faceplate detailing. I think he looks terrific and I can't wait to see more depictions of him in action. (At least until the revamp...) Natually, Steve did a great job with storytelling and showing details. I have absolutely no complaints about the artwork.

In fact, I have few complaints about the story. I agree with those who are tired of the whole omnipotent leader idea. I don't accept the explanation that the editor said it was okay. The editor should have recognized the fact that there were so many lunatics running the asylum in Legion comics. I also agree that more Legion characterization would have been preferrable over the Qward history lesson. However, what was presented was well done. When I read a comic book, I ask myself "Do I 'buy' what's happening?" Sometimes I just don't and sometimes I do. I "bought" what was done here.

#60785 07/09/04 08:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dean makes a good point about Tasmia's 31st century costume not being subject to "malfunctions" - so everything stays put. I wondered if she could use her shadow force to make it more or less revealing, as well. (Of course, with Kinetix and Sensor wandering around unclothed, Umbra looks positively puritan!)

Blacula's question about why Wildfire doesn't appear as a mixed race being is very interesting - I hadn't read the original story in which he was "born" of the two people, and didn't think about his appearance - other than that he had an appearance.

It's the sort of question that lingers in the mind, however. I'm wondering now if Wildfire's energy could change - he could appear as he did in #34, or change to resemble Atom'x or Blast-Off, or a mix of the two.

Another question I would have is whether Wildfire's appearance could appear differently to each viewer. Would perception of his energy being depend somehow on one's own energy field? Would it be like looking at clouds, everybody sees some different image?

Which leads to the question, do all the legionnaires' eyes function the same way? Are Talokian, Coluan, Kwai, etc. eyes perceiving the same wavelengths as Terran eyes do? It's always been assumed that everyone sees the same way, except for x-ray vision stuff, but I don't believe that would have to be true.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#60786 07/09/04 05:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Not only potential differences in how they "see" but also how they "perceive."

We could have a "Garden of Eden" story in which Tasmia, Jeckie and Zoe all realize they are naked.

#60787 07/09/04 08:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by SteveLightle:
That was exactly my first thought upon seeing the "robot soldier" design that Wildfire received after the reboot. He looked to me just like any armored Science Police officer or robot drone.
The way Coipel drew it, it actually reminded me of a combination of a motocross biker and old Spanish armor.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,941
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Shadow Kid
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Portfolio Boy
Portfolio Boy
Sumner, ME
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star