Roll Call
0 members (), 18 Murran Spies, and 92 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/13/24 12:26 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/13/24 12:25 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/13/24 12:25 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 06/13/24 11:39 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 06/12/24 09:20 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 10 JUNE*
by Harbinger - 06/12/24 09:14 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/12/24 03:43 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/12/24 03:43 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: So Legion will not be dead after L3W
#70028 11/16/08 07:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ibn al-Nezumi:
A little correction on the L.E.G.I.O.N. book coming in Feb. I talked to Tony Bedard, writer on the book, on FaceBook and he said the series is titled R.E.B.E.L.S. He also said its ongoing for now.
That makes me very happy. While I love L.E.G.I.O.N. I think the name just makes things confusing. And while I like the Legion elements I prefer not to have too many Legion elements, IMO.

#70029 11/16/08 09:34 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just for the record: I like Beyonder Prime's passion, he brings some heat to the discussion. We have a long habit of disecting, inspecting, often rejecting in long drawn out prose full of reasons, histories and old prejudices but BP says what he thinks and lays his displeasure down harsh.

That's NEW school.

#70030 11/16/08 01:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Pariscub:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
[b] Oh oh oh... I get a strong feeling of Pandoras Box...

[b]OPENED!

Please try to keep the flamewar down this time, though... I guess a discussion with someone who considers the Legion a "clean frachise" smile smile smile is pointless from the beginning... [/b]
Which is exactly why I didn't comment any further. LOL [/b]
I won't stay involved in a discussion that becomes a "flamewar" but Beyonder did ask me to reply to his comments and I did, and there hasn't been a response yet.

My whole point has been that it isn't right to spout off all of those negative comments and not back them up.

I myself have spouted off negative comments about the current run (mostly having to do with Dreamy). If anyone would like to discuss those issues further, I'd be happy to.

Beyonder, where'd you go?

#70031 02/04/10 09:16 PM
B
Substitute
Substitute
B
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Originally posted by Pariscub:
[b]
Originally posted by Chemical King:
[b] Oh oh oh... I get a strong feeling of Pandoras Box...

[b]OPENED!

Please try to keep the flamewar down this time, though... I guess a discussion with someone who considers the Legion a "clean frachise" smile smile smile is pointless from the beginning... [/b]
Which is exactly why I didn't comment any further. LOL [/b]
I won't stay involved in a discussion that becomes a "flamewar" but Beyonder did ask me to reply to his comments and I did, and there hasn't been a response yet.

My whole point has been that it isn't right to spout off all of those negative comments and not back them up.

I myself have spouted off negative comments about the current run (mostly having to do with Dreamy). If anyone would like to discuss those issues further, I'd be happy to.

Beyonder, where'd you go?[/b]
I was busy, mostly in other matters, sometimes on the "official" DC board.

Furthermore, I left this board back then specifically because of this thread, because I realized that both sides of the "pro-5YL/anti-5YL" fence were wrong.

I couldn't handle keeping my hatred/contempt for 5YL for myself, nor was I able to moderate it, or even phrase whatever beef I have with it abit more "politically correctly".

And the 5YLaters, of course couldn't handle my harsh verdict of it, and seemed to think anything from me wanting to "bash" their favorite Legion era for the sheer hell of it to me being a possible troll (at least, that's what I got from the comments about "mutual respect", "flamewars" and so on), so I thought it better to leave this board for a while.

That said, I still harbor the same opinions. Is there a board on this forum where one can debatte FREELY (in whatever "language"/level of politeness) without having the other side of the argument constantly haul in stuff like "mutual respect" etc. whenever you're stating pointly whatever you dislike about their favorite?

Otherwise, it probably makes more sense to continue any pro/contra debattes about 5YL on the official DC board? There, we RARELY bother about etiquette...

#70032 02/04/10 09:56 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Beyonder-Prime:

...That said, I still harbor the same opinions...
Well, you can post what you want, I guess. Just don't be surprised if your bluntness and penchant for black/white absolutes nets you nothing more than a whole lot of silence from some people.

I haven't really got anything to "debate" with somebody who starts from the position that Levitz "ruined" the book. That's where I started with the series and without that era, I wouldn't even be here.

...Otherwise, it probably makes more sense to continue any pro/contra debates about 5YL on the official DC board? There, we RARELY bother about etiquette
Well, if the free-for-all style is what you want, go for it. I had my fill of it years ago, personally. Boards are kind of like neighborhood bars in that sense. If one doesn't satisfy you, you'll probably have better luck looking around for another one more to your taste rather than trying to change the character of the one you're on now.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#70033 02/04/10 10:19 PM
B
Substitute
Substitute
B
Originally posted by cleome:
[snip]

[b]Beyonder-Prime:

...That said, I still harbor the same opinions...
Well, you can post what you want, I guess. Just don't be surprised if your bluntness and penchant for black/white absolutes nets you nothing more than a whole lot of silence from some people.

I haven't really got anything to "debate" with somebody who starts from the position that Levitz "ruined" the book. That's where I started with the series and without that era, I wouldn't even be here.

...Otherwise, it probably makes more sense to continue any pro/contra debates about 5YL on the official DC board? There, we RARELY bother about etiquette
Well, if the free-for-all style is what you want, go for it. I had my fill of it years ago, personally. Boards are kind of like neighborhood bars in that sense. If one doesn't satisfy you, you'll probably have better luck looking around for another one more to your taste rather than trying to change the character of the one you're on now.[/b]
Well, I wouldn't say that the official DC board is more satisfying to me, but for certain topics, it seems to be better than other boards.

#70034 02/04/10 10:26 PM
Well, that's another thing. No one board can be all things to everyone. I've seen some try, but it never works for very long.

The last time I ducked onto one of those other comics boards for Round #752 of Whether or Not 5YG Was the Worst Thing To Hit Western Civ Since The Hindenberg, I ran away screaming after ten minutes of lurking.

And I haven't even read more than three issues of 5YG at this point. I'd like to, just to have an original opinion on it, one way or the other.

But I'm too old for the no-holds-barred thing. It doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#70035 02/04/10 10:59 PM
B
Substitute
Substitute
B
Well to everybody his own.

I'm highly passionate about the Legion, and hence, don't suffer abonimations of it very well.
That said, maybe you should have taken a hint from the "752 Rounds of Whether or Not 5YG Was the Worst Thing To Hit Western Civ Since The Hindenberg"? Maybe we *know* what we're talking about? Maybe the fact that there's such bad will against it (compared to that, the bad will against the dead of Suprboy seems like a footnote) confirms my claims that 5YL was the legion's worst period? Else, why the enmity toward it, not just by me but by most who aren't directly fans of it?

But a question. You said you read only 3 issues of 5YL-- why did you try to debatte it if you *lack* the information neccessary to comment on it?

#70036 02/04/10 11:46 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life:
...I'm highly passionate about the Legion, and hence, don't suffer abominations of it very well.
shrug

If you go into every discussion starting from that point, a lot of people are going to get rubbed the wrong way. If you want to live with that, fine. In general, I've found it sets a bad tone to tell anyone that something they're obviously fond of is "an abomination."

That said, maybe you should have taken a hint from the "752 Rounds of Whether or Not 5YG Was the Worst Thing To Hit Western Civ Since The Hindenberg"? Maybe we *know* what we're talking about?
A lot of the people on that thread were incredibly vicious and rude. They made personal attacks against the posters with whom they disagreed. So excuse me for not thinking they were doing such great advertising for their own POV.

During the time this stuff was originally being published, I'd soured on the Big Two altogether and wasn't reading anything they produced. But that was over twenty years ago, and sometimes people's perspective changes over time. So, yeah. I'd still like to read it and judge for myself.

Also, rest assured that on the board I'm thinking of, there was pretty much a 50/50 split between the camps who had a favorable impression of it and those who did not. I think this is what the website TVTropes calls, "A Broken Base."

But a question. You said you read only 3 issues of 5YL-- why did you try to debate it if you *lack* the information neccessary to comment on it?
Dude, I'll talk to you if you can avoid biting my head off, but seriously. Read what I wrote. I said that I lurked in the discussion. I didn't comment on the discussion. I just read it for a couple of pages. This was late in 2008.

The issues of 5YG that I checked out were months after my visit to that particular board. I was flat broke for a huge portion of the last two years. I scraped the three issues in question from somebody's discount bin for six bucks total-- just a couple of months ago when I was feeling flush. I hope the chronology is a little clearer to you now.

#70037 02/05/10 12:02 AM
B
Substitute
Substitute
B
Originally posted by cleome:
[snip]

Originally posted by Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life:
[b] ...I'm highly passionate about the Legion, and hence, don't suffer abominations of it very well.
shrug

If you go into every discussion starting from that point, a lot of people are going to get rubbed the wrong way. If you want to live with that, fine. In general, I've found it sets a bad tone to tell anyone that something they're obviously fond of is "an abomination."

That said, maybe you should have taken a hint from the "752 Rounds of Whether or Not 5YG Was the Worst Thing To Hit Western Civ Since The Hindenberg"? Maybe we *know* what we're talking about?
A lot of the people on that thread were incredibly vicious and rude. They made personal attacks against the posters with whom they disagreed. So excuse me for not thinking they were doing such great advertising for their own POV.

During the time this stuff was originally being published, I'd soured on the Big Two altogether and wasn't reading anything they produced. But that was over twenty years ago, and sometimes people's perspective changes over time. So, yeah. I'd still like to read it and judge for myself.

Also, rest assured that on the board I'm thinking of, there was pretty much a 50/50 split between the camps who had a favorable impression of it and those who did not. I think this is what the website TVTropes calls, "A Broken Base."

But a question. You said you read only 3 issues of 5YL-- why did you try to debate it if you *lack* the information neccessary to comment on it?
Dude, I'll talk to you if you can avoid biting my head off, but seriously. Read what I wrote. I said that I lurked in the discussion. I didn't comment on the discussion. I just read it for a couple of pages. This was late in 2008.

The issues of 5YG that I checked out were months after my visit to that particular board. I was flat broke for a huge portion of the last two years. I scraped the three issues in question from somebody's discount bin for six bucks total-- just a couple of months ago when I was feeling flush. I hope the chronology is a little clearer to you now.[/b]
I didn't "bait" anybody's head off. I was just wondering because that behavior seemed to be comparable to people who read like 50 Thor books and 3 Superman books and then wanted to debate the finer points of their respective mythoi.

But if you were *only* lurking without planing to engage, it's a moot point anyway.

As to the rest:Well, it's a free world. If some quarters have a problem with my considering their fetish "dirty" and an "abonimation" or whatever and me frankly saying so, maybe they should go hold hands with each other on the Sailor Moon or Strawberry Shortcake boards, don't you think so too?

#70038 02/05/10 12:26 AM
[snip]

Beyonder-Prime wrote:
...If some quarters have a problem with my considering their fetish "dirty" and an "abomination" or whatever and me frankly saying so, maybe they should go hold hands with each other on the Sailor Moon or Strawberry Shortcake boards, don't you think so too?
lol

Policing the fetishes of total strangers on the internet? Uh, no thanks. I like to eat, sleep, and get out of the house once in a while. That's really not the kind of full-time job I'm looking for, even if somebody was willing to pay me for it.

rotflmao

#70039 02/05/10 04:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow! Almost totally missed this one!
Sketch fighting back.
It leaves me almost speechless!

And I can see why YK is so missed.
What a wonderful approach and reasoning he had.
sigh

I've had lots of likes and dislikes about the various Legion eras over the years.
Certainly, I've had favorites, but those really fall into story arcs and certain characters, rather than eras.

I loved the stories centered around Shadow Lass and the other girls (silly though they sometimes were, looking back), the Fatal Five/Suneater, Darkseid, Universo/Rond, Miracle Machine.

Later on, the Revenge for Superboy/Time Trapper and Shady trying to save Lar, the new Fatal Five with the gals, the Ferro brother Annual, the twin's birth, Universo and the 5 with will, Sensor vs the Eye, even the Magic Wars.
And yes, Proty Garth made sense to me.

TMK favs were Lar/Trapper, Mordruverse, Mysa's rescue (although I hated her marriage and abuse and Rond's death), Laurel Gand and baby, Rokk and Lydda (with the unrealized Lord of Order baby possibilities), Jo's struggles back in time, I loved the clones and Cera and the McCauley's new Fatal Five.

Reboot, sorry, my favorite era because I loved Umbra, Lyrl, Gates, XS, Mysa, Vi, Nura, Naga, so many others, and the stories that created them. DNA's Damned and LOST are absolute loves, even though I hated Jan's insanity and death, along with Garth's (whom I saw as just developing, like Jan, into someone I really liked.}

The 3boot had Barry Kitson on art and the Dominator and Elyson stories that were interesting, although I disliked the 'kid/adult hating each other' idea and Querl as Vril.

Shooter's Legion Applicant story was good and Francis was great.

And I'm going to enjoy this era, too.
The Adventure stories are okay on their own (especially Brek & Dirk), but I LOVE them with the Superman/Lar series and the Espionage Squad stuff.

I also enjoy .REBELS and it's contribution to Dawnstar's mythos (a much earlier beginning for Starhaven, etc,) and the presentation of a new and wonderful Brainiac 3.

Anyway, I'm story oriented rather than era loyal.

The point I'm making is that I feel a passionate love for the Legion.
I always have.
I just want to get the most out of that love that I can, rather than fuming about things like 'eras'.
(And I fought passionately for Jan not to be the Progenitor on the DC boards until the issue came out where he was irretrieveably gone. sigh)

I save 'hating' for real world things, like the Haitians not getting supplies like they should and my 18 year old granddaughter being lost on Meth (hopefully only for the time being) and the whales either starving to death or being killed by the whalers.
I save 'hate' and 'abomination' for stuff like that.

My advice is to pick your fights wisely and have them actually MEAN something.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#70040 02/05/10 04:45 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'll never bring my posting numbers up like that!
gads

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#70041 02/05/10 11:03 AM
[snip]

Candle:

...I save 'hating' for real world things, like the Haitians not getting supplies like they should and my 18 year old granddaughter being lost on Meth (hopefully only for the time being) and the whales either starving to death or being killed by the whalers...
Yeah, I pretty much agree. But very sorry to hear about your granddaughter. frown

I try not to constantly fly off the handle like I used to, even on those "meaningful" boards. RL is tough enough. I don't go online for strife most days. I go online to get away from strife.

Also, I remember some of the really idiotically rude stuff I wrote in to various comics outlets back in the pre-internet days. I sincerely hope that nobody else does. sigh

#70042 02/05/10 07:30 PM
B
Substitute
Substitute
B
Well, Candle, I love the Reboot Legion too.

And there are more important things than collecting postings to rise up in levels.

#70043 02/06/10 04:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the well wishes for my grand daughter, cleome.
sigh

And I'm glad you liked the reboot, B-PCL.
I find myself apologizing for loving them, quite a bit, but oh well.

I was just kidding about the posting thing.
I didn't even know there was such a thing until yeaterday!
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#70044 02/07/10 07:55 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
The LW Top 40 "posting thing" is just for fun. No one is under any obligation to participate or even encouraged to post just for the sake of increasing his or her post count.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#70045 02/07/10 08:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Now you tell me! smile

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#70046 02/07/10 08:08 PM
Well, your contract is different, Dev. It states (in the fine print) that you MUST post reviews of 5YL and anything else you deem reviewable until you reach Time Trapper status.

smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,103
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Surge Pack, thinbalion
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chemical King
Chemical King
Bamberg, Germany
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star