Roll Call
0 members (), 29 Murran Spies, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/02/24 08:45 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 06/02/24 07:32 AM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 06:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/01/24 04:37 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
Re: UPDATE (12/20): Legion of Super-Heroes #1-- SOLICITATION! SPOILERS!
#70550 09/24/04 03:59 AM
G
Applicant
Applicant
G
I've got my fingers crossed, third times the charm right?

"Bloody Nass! You sent them on a mission...and they all went?" - Reep Daggle

"Absolutely. We're back, Cham -- the Legion is back." - Rokk Krinn
#70551 09/24/04 05:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Actually, third times the Cham...

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and realize it's somewhere between the two.

Just spouting off.
#70552 09/24/04 05:54 PM
Deputy
Deputy
"Hope For The Best, Expect The Worst"

Hope for the best,
Expect the worst;
Some drink champagne,
Some die of thirst!
No way of knowing
Which way it's going;
Hope for the best, expect the worst!

Hope for the best,
Expect the worst;
The world's a stage,
We're unrehearsed!
Some reach the top, friends,
While others drop, friends!

I knew a man
Who made a fortune that was splendid,
Then he died
The day he planned to go and spend it!
Shouting: "Live while you're alive!
No one will survive!
Life is sorrow
(Here today and gone tomorrow)!
Live while you're alive,
No one will survive,
There's no guarantee!"

Hope for the best,
Expect the worst;
You could be Tolstoy
Or Fanny Hurst!
So take your chances,
There are no answers!

{instrumental break}

I knew a man
Who made a fortune that was splendid,
Then he died
The day he planned to go and spend it!
Shouting: "Live while you're alive!
No one will survive!
Life is funny!
Save your money! Save your money!
Live while you're alive,
No one will survive,
There's no guarantee!"

Hope for the best,
Expect the worst;
The rich are blessed,
The poor are cursed!
That is a fact, friends:
The deck is stacked, friends!
Hope for the best, expect the -
Even with a good beginning,
It's not certain that you're winning!
Even with the best of chances
Fate can kick you in the pantses!
Look out for the,
Watch out for the,
Worst! Hey!

Lyrics by Mel Brooks;
Music Traditional, arrangement by Mel Brooks and John Morris.
From the film The Twelve Chairs.

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#70553 09/25/04 05:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Mars Hottentot:
Borg,
I think Captain Comet is going to be dealt with in the new 'Adam Strange' mini.
Along with L.E.G.I.O.N. and Darkstars.
L.E.G.I.O.N. will make an appearance, I believe, but nothing was specifically said about Comet.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#70554 09/25/04 07:26 AM
Active
Active
I can't believe we are 24 pages into this and not one person has expressed regret that Luornu is not listed among the definite returnees.

Lu was the 1st/2nd legionnaire to join the team (with Tinya) after the founders in both the pre and post boot eras. She deserves to be there.

In the current Titan cross-over tale, Lu is not on Legion world when it blows up - which is encouraging. She is with the rest of the Legionnaires who have already made the cut - K Kid, Umbra, Dreamer, Star Boy, Brainy, etc... Hopefully this bodes well for her future.

That being said, I am looking forward to the new book and love that Projectra is back (along with the silver age codenames). I loved L.E.G.I.O.N.
but the preview cover is looking at little to Brainy-centric. Hopefully, the new title won't revolve around the Dox dynasty - you've done that before and it was great but I'd like to see someone else take a prominent position this time around.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#70555 09/26/04 05:50 AM
Active
Active
Well I just think Mon should appear.Lu is a great character but if Waid really wants to he could have already retired her and Bouncing Boy but they're to good for that

#70556 09/28/04 10:13 PM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
is it futile to hope for my favorites, like Ferro, Tenz, Condo, and Devlin? Condo and Devlin are a stretch, I know, but I'll be saddened if Tenz and Andy aren't there...

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#70557 09/28/04 11:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I believe it was said in Baltimore that Ferro Lad will show up "eventually". Nothing more specific than that. The others weren't mentioned.

#70558 09/28/04 11:46 PM
Oh that's good to hear. I love Andy and he's a great character if given a chance (Like his SW6 incarnation: a near suicidal, self-hating swashbuckler smile )

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#70559 09/29/04 10:25 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think Waid could do wonders with Condo as well. Talk about someone whose powers were never exploited until the day they (senselessly) killed him off!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#70560 09/29/04 10:52 AM
Indeed! If you think about it, everything in the universe is a chemical reaction. With Condo's power written properly, he could go toe-to-toe with Element Lad or Wildfire for the prestigious Hossest Legionnaire Award.

Oh, and random black guy on cover. Possibly Kid Quantum? in almost every reboot or timeline, James Cullen was never given that much of a shot...

- Crow T. Robot
#70561 09/29/04 11:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I totally believe Wade would make Condo the powerhouse he should be. He may have to give him a disability to keep that power in check, like I did in role-playing him. I still believe that Condo was more powerful than even Jan. *runs and hides from the Jan Fan Club*

#70562 09/29/04 11:29 AM
hehe, run and hide! But it is true...I believe, anyhoo...

- Crow T. Robot
#70563 09/29/04 04:29 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Deathstroke Lad:
I totally believe Wade would make Condo the powerhouse he should be.
So what's Deadpool got to do with anything? smile

*imagines What If Deadpool wrote the Legion, and cancels that thought very quickly*

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70564 09/29/04 09:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Gold_Leader:

Oh, and random black guy on cover. Possibly Kid Quantum?
My current guess is that it's Star Boy.

#70565 09/29/04 09:42 PM
Active
Active
Um it is Star Boy.

#70566 09/29/04 09:43 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Kitson has confirmed that it's Thom.

Check page five or so of this thread for confirmation on who's who! Lots of classics right in front of our eyes on that cover, even if one doesn't immediately recongize everyone.

#70567 09/29/04 09:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Future:
Kitson has confirmed that it's Thom.
Cool.

I was going by hints Waid dropped in Baltimore. Hadn't seen Barry's confirmation.

#70568 09/30/04 04:42 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Most of all, I would like to thank Mr. Kitson for posting here.

Secondly, let me echo someone's earlier post and say that I am absolutely thrilled that my four most all-time favorite Legionnaires made the cut for the initial team (Cos, Sun Boy - [HOORAY! Gone too long], Dream Girl and Element Lad).

I loved much about the DnA era, but I am very much looking forward to the WaK era.

Hope, a core value of the best Legion eras, springs eternal.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#70569 09/30/04 07:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Is it definite that Vi will appear or is it possible that a shrinking character just a rumour among the other characters?

And there's no confirmation on T-Wolf either. It's going to be a long few months. frown

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#70570 09/30/04 08:36 PM
Honorary
Honorary
The more I hear about the new series, the more freaked out I am. At first I was really excited about the series, but after being let down by Waid's Birthright, I am getting a lot of bad feelings about this. I love Kitson's art...always have since the L.E.G.I.O.N. series, but my faith in Waid's writing has been shaken. I may just be nervous, but I sat through the reboot, and I really just don't want to sit through another series that may be rebooted the next time TPTB have a whim. TimeTrapper

The Legion is Back!!! All Three of Them....How Sprocking Magnificent!!!
#70571 10/02/04 09:41 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I *liked* Birthright!

And I don't think you can have a Legion without ties to the 20th/21st Century. First of all because of M'Onel, who is an essential character to any incarnation of The Legion of Super-Heroes. I'll gladly wait a few months to see him if his intro story is told in an excitingly new, yet familiar way. Remember that he helped establish most of the early colony worlds I look forward to a whole new chance for the Legion to meet the 20th Century heroes. If nothing else, keep Jenni around (don't wipe Bart's cousin out of continuity!), show M'Onel, and I guess them might have to address Ferro and which team the 20th century heroes met.

Personally, I'd like to see Superboy visit at some point, at least in a way similar to in the early postboot. It's going to be confusing, believe me. Who thought the clone (I always liked him) would outlive an two incarnation of the Legion when they introduced him?

I think a hermetically sealed 31st Century comic where they only know of the 21st Century heroes through history is boring and sad. Superboy, Valor, XS, Ferro, meeting Superman and the others in the lie of duty... these things make it extra fun. It establishes the Legion as a prominent team in the DC Universe(as opposed to Power Company). I'm an anal-retentive fan, so I love tie-ins and crossovers, so long as the Legionnaires are written in character and continuity. And so long as the story is pretty good.

I even enjoyed the Team 20 story in LSH, though it dragged on. But one problem for me was that it was a random selection from the team, so we missed out on a lot of other possible events with regards to team members' interactions with the 20th century. Ayla was a highlight of that story for me. Personally I'd like to see M'Onel on a team that goes to the 21st century, and of course he will go back with the team at the end and not stay around and release his past self because that would ruin it for me. Dream Girl in the 20th Century would be great too. I want to see Vi/Atom Girl meet Atom, Karate Kid and Nightwing, Superman... KARA ZOR-EL... etc. Either the old stories happened or we need new ones. And because character interaction is such an interesting and frustrating thing when there are 20-30 memers of the team, it's good to have smaller teams at once, so the panels can be devoted to that rather than trying to draw everyone in. So if it rotates between teams (like in the old days) we get to see more quality, albeit less quantity. I liked the focus in Legion Lost, and one of my biggest problems with DnA's writing is that they write the characters as plot tools and don't think about the characters' personalities in choosing which of them they have doing what. And it seems like they didn't have a plan to follow through on all of their subplots that we were just HOLDING OUT, *HOPING* would bear fruition. In character-driven subplots, the ending serves to advance the character as much as the story. So why did we waste our time reading the Mekt subplot (although I can say that I didn't buy Legion Worlds #2, probably the first Legion comic I skipped buying since I started reading, and Ayla is one of my top favorites. I do however still need to find one of the books from the LSH/GL crossover, and a few of the appearances in SHOWCASE COMICS especially part two of the Brainaic crossover. Will reward generously.)

By the way, nobody bit on my comment about Atom Girl (Salu Digby... Waid alluded to her being around, but he seemed to be joking)... Hasn't anyone else noticed that the members of the team most prominently missing are the Legion Espionage Squad's core membership, minus Chameleon? I hope we see Lyle, Salu, and Luornu. I think maybe it's Salu's (It will be weird not calling her Vi) turn to lead the squad. We can do without watching her slowly blossom into competence. I think an increased presence of the squad will allow a good way to give them on-panel time without having to worry about them being sometimes out of place in combat. I don't want anything to happen to Lu, and in combat against say the Fatal Five, she's a more statistically likely target.

Finally, I'm for two monthly books, spin-offs, and a Valor miniseries. I hope people buy the reboot, because the lack of sales are the reason DC can't commit to the Legion book like it should. I don't understand people who say they love the characters, but would rather banish them to oblivion than not restore continuity to pre-Zero Hour and probably pre-Magic Wars.

Comradely,
Gates
LLL!
#70572 10/02/04 07:39 PM
Active
Active
You know I liked Birthright also especially the new Lex.
The new Kara Zor-El shouldn't be tied to this but Lar Gand as Valor or M'Onel or Marvel Lad should be tied to this.In Teen Titans 16 Superboy disappears into the timestream with that Legion no longer existing then he winds up in the new 31st Century.Simple.
So Ferro should also be the 20th Century kid the Legion met and maybe Sister Andromeda can be in this Legion.I know I'm going to buy this Legion because even if Waid gets everything maybe this could work.

#70573 10/03/04 02:47 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by TiJulk MrAsz:
Finally, I'm for two monthly books, spin-offs, and a Valor miniseries. I hope people buy the reboot, because the lack of sales are the reason DC can't commit to the Legion book like it should. I don't understand people who say they love the characters, but would rather banish them to oblivion than not restore continuity to pre-Zero Hour and probably pre-Magic Wars.
Well, I came in postboot, but I would rather banish the LSH to oblivion than see Waid's reboot. Because I love *these* characters. Kinda-sorta-similar-but-not-quite-the-same charcaters with antiquated Lad/Lass names just don't cut it.

Why should support something I despise the concept of, don't like the look of, and don't want to support?? It's not the same continuity, ergo I get a "doesn't matter" note from my doctor.

The Legion is dead to me.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70574 10/04/04 05:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Reboot:
Why should support something I despise the concept of, don't like the look of, and don't want to support?? It's not the same continuity, ergo I get a "doesn't matter" note from my doctor.

The Legion is dead to me.
I understand how you feel, Reboot. The 1994 reboot ended up being DC's special little way of ripping the Legion away from my imagination (and thus my purchase power) through their transformation into bizarre bright & smiling zombie cheerleaders of a far less interesting future. No one at DC seemed to understand what made the 30th century work, at least for me, and miming "similar-but-different" events was just painful and got old fast ("no, in this version, XXX doesn't die when we put XXX in the same situation" or "no, in this version, your favorite character is a XXX"), like watching fondly-remembered older actors try to make a comeback by being 'cool' and 'modern' (i.e. starring in an action movie or a romance film with an actor 1/2 their age who miraculously doesn't notice the wrinkles, freckles, stodginess and other age indicators in the senior actor).

I hope Waid has some chops on this (the man did write Kingdom Come and the best Fantastic Four in ages), but when looking at his Birthright sales and his partial responsibility for the 1994 reboot I hated (no offense, folks-who-love-it), it doesn't bode especially well. I think he tends toward consistent hero-driven stories, largely lacking an edge (at least for me). For instance, while I enjoy his Fantastic Four in trades, there aren't any particular moments I return to and think "Whoa, that's amazing/trippy/heart-breaking". Whereas, I was dazzled by, talked about, and proudly showed off the scene in Morrison's JLA where Batman beats Prometheus by reprogramming the villain's nervous system with Stephen Hawking's.

I will say that I am tired of missing the Legion and having to re-read runs of Legion books that have been out of print for over 10 years. I want to find something in DC's future - the 30th century part, at least - worth investing some time, money and imagination in. You hear me, Waid? (Kitson, I have more faith in as a science fiction/adventure/super hero artist.)

Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,848
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Kid Beetle, Star Boy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ravenette84
Ravenette84
San Leandro, California
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star