Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 39 Murran Spies, and 105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/03/24 01:33 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 06/03/24 01:29 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/03/24 12:56 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/03/24 08:36 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/03/24 02:29 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:58 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:53 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 06/02/24 08:50 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: post One Year Later SPOILERS
#7507 11/27/05 08:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
To paraphrase something Dan Didio said during the IC Panel discussion in Boston, "Everything is driven by sales, EVERYTHING!"

Maybe it's because I started reading the Legion in an era when they didn't appear without a Superboy/Superman tie-in or maybe it's because many of my favorite Legion stories come from the "Adventure" or "Superboy and the LSH" eras but the "Supergirl and the LSH" idea doesn't bother me at all.

Especially if it results in increased sales and a return to something approximating my favorite Legion era.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#7508 11/27/05 08:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I should add that I'd love to see a Legion which included EVERY Legionaire from EVERY era, (Except maybe the four Khund infiltraitors from the five year crap, but I could live with them being included, under certain conditions) together.

Think about it; Superboy, Mon-el, Supergirl, Andromeda, Dawnstar, Shakiri, Bounty, Gates, Snecki, Sensor Girl, Quizlet, Blok, Reflecto, Impulse, Neon, Tyroc, Kid Quantum II, Monstress, and the "Core Legionnares" together in one book.

Okay not much face time for any single hero, but a fun concept none the less.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#7509 11/27/05 08:18 AM
Deputy
Deputy
So, do we get to call it SLOSH from now on?

#7510 11/27/05 10:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
or maybe back to S/LSH, the old way?

#7511 11/27/05 11:38 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Bah. I still don't like it.

I mean... I can understand trying to tie the Legion back into the super-family. I'll even admit that there is something missing in the Legion without Superboy. But... Supergirl? Besides the fact that she was never more than a minor player in the Legion, any gap left by her absence was more than adequately filled by Laurel.

#7512 11/27/05 11:42 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Still waaaay to early to tell if this is goin' to be good or bad. I do wonder though where Waid is in all of this.

Just when I made a resolution to cut back and just get LSH after Infinite Crisis (and possibly 52* just to keep tabs on the 21st century), this news comes up.

I just don't like the uncertainty of it. I've just gotten over to "trauma" of a rebooted Legion, then it seems we're heading towars what seems like a new 'boot again... :-\

Igee The Mighty!
#7513 11/27/05 01:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Igee The Mighty:
I just don't like the uncertainty of it. I've just gotten over to "trauma" of a rebooted Legion, then it seems we're heading towars what seems like a new 'boot again... :-\
Igee, be of good cheer. A "retitling" doesn't necessarily mean a reboot - no more than retitling Superboy/LSH to LSH or LSH to 'The Legion' were reboots. Anything's possible these days, and it's easy to think the worst, but everything Barry's said on this board in recent weeks suggests that this new development is part of his and Waid's scheme, especially this statement just 11 days ago:

"We're still very early days in our big picture for the Legion, I think a few things in the 'groundwork' are beginning to 'pay off' but rest assured everything that happens is part of the 'grand plan'..."

Not to mention his cruel teasing about the still unseen cover of issue #16. smile

Supergirl, the Multiverse, the pre-Crisis Legion, the 3boot Legion, etc. I think they're all part of WaK's secret recipe.

#7514 11/27/05 02:22 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
Not to mention his cruel teasing about the still unseen cover of issue #16. smile

Supergirl, the Multiverse, the pre-Crisis Legion, the 3boot Legion, etc. I think they're all part of WaK's secret recipe.
secret recipe... So just like KFC has secret herbs and spieces, Supergirl will spice up the LSH. smile

I don't know what to make of this. I have heard about this new Supergirl, but I haven't read any stories with her. so at worst I guess I feel meh about the character.

will supergirl increase sales? maybe, but for how long?

#7515 11/27/05 03:44 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
But... Supergirl? Besides the fact that she was never more than a minor player in the Legion, any gap left by her absence was more than adequately filled by Laurel.
There you go, you just got pre-boot Brainy crying again, and right after we finally got him calmed down.

#7516 11/27/05 04:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow...to be honest, I'm not bothered by this at all, if it indeed is true. I much prefer Supergirl and Superman when he was a boy in the Legion, and don't really want to see Kon-El, Power Girl or Laurel Gand around.

I think bringing in new readers is very much a good thing. And I trust Waid and Barry in that this will be nicely done and very interesting.

Not sure about retitling it though...but I could probably live with it. The only concern would be her involvement might take away more screen time from other members, and to me the most important thing right now is filling the Legion roster with long-lost Legionnaires and keeping them there for a long run.

I will of course buy the title and look forward to it expecting a positive experience in reading it. We'll see...

(It's weird being a dissident from the majority opinion around here in regards to the Legion! laugh )

#7517 11/27/05 04:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Here\'s scenes from Supergirl's (re)debut to the DCU in SUPERMAN/BATMAN #13.

#7518 11/27/05 04:28 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So this is all Yellow Kid's fault:

Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
She needs to join the Legion for a 6 issue story arc so I can get a Supergirl/Legion TPB drawn by Barry Kitsonfor next Christmas.
Supergirl
wink

#7519 11/27/05 04:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think the biggest problem I have with this whole thing is that it seems really gimmicky. In the same way that so much stuff associated with the previous incarnation of the team seemed gimmicky. It really sounds to me like the "Let's revisit the Legion's past but add a hokie twist" kind of attitude that ruined things the last time around. Yeah, Superboy and the Legion was popular thirty years ago, so let's bring that back, only make it Supergirl and the Legion!

I would also worry about what happens once Supergirl's popularity starts to plunge. When they start deciding that maybe she doesn't need to be headlining two titles, which one are they going to get rid of?

#7520 11/27/05 05:01 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by wamu2:
will supergirl increase sales? maybe, but for how long?
It's not only about sales. It's not only about Supergirl, and whether or not we like her right now. There's a much bigger picture here. The LSH has been a continuity backwater for 20 years, with few visitors except diehard fans. As much as some readers love that comfortable isolation, it has to end for the sake of long-term survival. If the creators succeed in restoring the Legion's severed ties to the Superman family and its full-fledged membership in the DCU, the problem of sales will probably correct itself. Putting up with Supergirl (who isn't nearly as wretched as some people make her out to be) sounds like a fair price to pay for the chance to live in the mainstream universe again.

#7521 11/27/05 05:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I simply don't have enough information to form an opinion on it as yet. And I don't feel like working myself up by speculating.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#7522 11/27/05 08:00 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The past incarnation of the Legion was chock-full of efforts at connecting the Legion to the current DCU, and none of them were successful. Team 20? Ick. Ra's Al-Ghul? Double-Ick. Kon-el in the Legion? Triple-Ick.

The original Legion was always in somewhat of a "continuity backwater". Sure it was heavily tied to Superboy, but Superboy himself was set fifteen years before the rest of the DCU. The connections to the mainstream DCU were really just through the fact that Superman had once been a member, when he was a boy, with the exception of Supergirl, who was rarely around, and some rather forced incidents like the JSA/JLA/Legion crossover, which always seemed weird using the teen Legion for.

Assuming that this is the current Supergirl, and that she will also be continuing in her present title set in the current DCU, means the Legion is directly tied, on a monthly basis, to whatever happens in the present day DCU in a way that has never been, with the exception of the horrible Team 20 storyline.

#7523 11/27/05 09:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
...unless we're talking about two distinct, different Supergirl's. Which is why I put issues #5 & #6 on the main page. TWO Supergirl's. Maybe our's will be a non-crappy version.

One can hope.

Oh! And for a refresher course on Supergirl's past and present, I've found her Wikipedia article very helpful.

#7524 11/27/05 11:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Is it about sales? Yes. But with Waid you never know. I honestly thought it was only a matter of time before Waid fit in Superboy...I was wrong. It was Supergirl.

Will Supergirl's popularity last? What do you think?

Is it ALL about sales? No. If it was the Legion would've had more of a broad appeal. I never liked the JSA...when Robinson, Goyer, and Johns decided to give it a bit more broad appeal and even a "alternative" feel like Starman...it clicked. The JSA never had the following the Legion had. Atleast not since most of us have been born.

The Young Justice teeny Legion has not sold. Be it the Zero Hour Legion or this Legion. The Adventure did sell with Superboy. But there was a very popular Legion there for about 15 years that did sell well...with Superboy/Supergirl NOT as the main attraction.

Again lots of the new Crisis stuff seems to be erasing some of the pass. I would take Supergirl gladly if it's the Earth1 Supergirl...and the precrisis Legion. By precrisis I mean circa 80 to 85...not 1967. smile

As NC said maybe it's a different Supergirl...but I doubt it.

#7525 11/28/05 12:41 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I really wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. I'm in a bad mood now.

Be sure and bring back Lori Morning and that dial H for Hero crap too, Waid! (sarcasm)

#7526 11/28/05 05:05 AM
Substitute
Substitute
My first reaction to this was bad to say the least. But not very surprised. Yes, the Legion is going to be a supporting cast for a Super-person again. Bah. The one element of my beloved silver age Legion that I never liked.

But I am a diehard Legion fan, and there simply isn't that many of us anymore for whatever reason. DC are not a charity as we all know. They aren't going to keep a floundering title artistically pure just for us, the ever tiny band of Legion fans, more's the pity.

At least it's not entirely without precedent in Legion history. But it's hard to escape the conclusion that your favourite series has just been demoted to supporting cast of flavour of the month status. Bah humbug.

If it's either this or no Legion at all, I guess I can live with it. But I don't like it.

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
#7527 11/28/05 05:20 AM
S
Applicant
Applicant
S
We get a new Legion ... buy into it and deal with the changes ... learn to accept it and enjoy it ... along comes Infinite Crisis and the shock waves start to spread and now this ... SUPERGIRL and the Legion of Superheros ... do we get two books ... one SG & the LSH and the LSH ... OR two books, SG and SG & the LSH ... I don't know ... I GIVE THE "F" UP trying to figure out where we're going!

#7528 11/28/05 06:21 AM
Deputy
Deputy
You know, I always liked having Superboy in the
Legion ... it gave a 20th Century Eye to the
30th Century ... and it was neat to see Superman
learning the tricks of the hero trade.

The thing that I think they should have done
Pre-Crisis that they never did was allow him
to age along with the Legion. It's not like
he did all that much during his college
career where he couldn't have been part of
the Legion... and that was a time in the
Pre-Crisis Superman's life-- post Smallville
and the Kents and pre-Meteropolis and Daily
Planet-- that wasn't covered much.

I haven't read much about the new Supergirl.
Is she supposed to be from the same version
of Krytpon as Byrne came up with? 'Cause
that's sure not an outfit that I'd picture
one of those Kryptonians wearing ...

#7529 11/28/05 07:53 AM
Active
Active
Hi Guys
Boy you get worked up before you read a story! smile

Sorry not to have been around, but I've been visiting my parents over Thanksgiving. Hope you all had a good holiday.

Well I guess Dan has let the cat out of the bag - yes - Supergirl will be in issue #16 (whether we actually play with a logo for an issue or two you'll have to wait and see - I thought it might be fun)

As I said the seeds for all that's about to happen were sown right from the preview and the appearance or not of Supergirl and other Legionnaires past/present and future are all part of the big scheme... it'll all make perfect sense by issue #36...or was it #63? tease

Anyway - hopefully when you read the story you'll actually enjoy it!

Just remember LSH had been a thousand (well 999 years) post IC since issue #1! laugh

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#7530 11/28/05 09:28 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Barry, thanks for confirming that this development is all a part of your master plan, and we need not worry about you and Mark changing course or leaving. I wish Dan had consulted with you before spilling the beans because all it did was generate a lot of unnecessary confusion. In view of the Legion's wonky relaunch and reboot history, it's little wonder people get nervous when confronted with unexpected news like this and tend to think the worst. As his penance for agitating us, Dan must allow an early preview of the cover of #16. smile

I can only speak for myself, but I'm willing to give the Supergirl Legion a fair chance because I believe you have the Legion's best interests at heart. First order of the day is a new and improved costume for her 31st century adventures, right??

#7531 11/28/05 09:38 AM
Leader
Leader
I'm excited about the possibility of Supergirl joining the Legion. It's the real deal Kryptonian Kara Zor-El too. I never accepted Andromeda as a Supergirl substitute. The original girl of steel was robbed of her rightful place in the Legion and I never did understand why. Maybe this will be a chance to rectify that.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,869
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Jesse Jackson
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
Yonkers N.Y
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star