Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 24 Murran Spies, and 130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/09/24 09:38 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/09/24 09:36 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:00 AM
Moonmoons.
by thoth lad - 06/09/24 07:50 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:23 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:22 AM
Comic book Catfights
by RED-001 - 06/08/24 07:10 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #6
Blockade Boy #784749 08/24/13 08:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
I'm considered pretty normal when hanging out with the other people like me.

Aren't we all. nod

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Blockade Boy #784767 08/24/13 09:39 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Has anyone read anything that says Bridwell un-did so much injury to the Legionnaires with a purpose? There's some discussion on the LSH #23 thread that Levitz was doing damage control by placing the story on Earth 2 (though I do not understand the significance of that). Could the Bridwell have been doing the same?

My theory is that Adventure #351 is an early case of editorial interference with a creative decision. I think Nelson intended to write the super-cousins out of the Legion (perhaps to see if the group could stand on its own without a big red S on every cover), but that Mort got cold feet and vetoed the idea, forcing Nelson to rewrite the second half of the two-parter. It could even be that the other "resets" were part of that same editorial decision.

Oh, and as for the horrendous fate awaiting Rokk, I think Nura got a glimpse of his 70s uniform tongue

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Lard Lad #784770 08/24/13 09:47 PM
in hiding
in hiding
The idea of a last-minute rewrite would also explain why some members from the first part were AWOE (absent without explanation) in the second part.

And, now that I think about it, the choice of cover scenes was almost certainly a Weisinger decision.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Lard Lad #784796 08/24/13 11:54 PM
Leader
Leader
I think the reason some Legionnaires weren't in part 2 is simply lack of space. They already crammed in half the team, plus the subs, plus the super pets, plus Mxyzptlk, plus the White Witch, plus a SMallville high scene, etc. etc.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Lard Lad #784800 08/25/13 12:06 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
True, but their absence is notable because had those Legionnaires been around, the Legion would supposedly not need the Subs to help out by going to Supergirl's time.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #784813 08/25/13 07:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It sure looked like they had a goal of getting everyone into the story.

Reading the original issues has the disadvantage, there's no reference to who is writing, drawing... Or is it someplace I am not finding it? Some of these people writing letters seem to know who drew what and who wrote what.

Lard Lad #784814 08/25/13 07:48 AM
in hiding
in hiding
One of the big differences between DC and Marvel in the silver age was that DC comics seldom had in-story credits, while Marvel always did (even including the letterer, although not the colorist). Nonetheless, it was a popular "game" among DC fans to guess who wrote and drew what and then write a letter to the editor about it. This was particularly popular in the Julius Schwartz books like Batman and Detective, but also happened with Mort Weisinger's Superman Family books, as Mort had the larger talent pool.

Lard Lad #784822 08/25/13 10:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
An interesting bridge is about to happen but I'm not sure if there is a connection.

This storyline was preceded by a "Devil's Dozen" and is to be followed by a story in which criminals are recruited with the offer of amnesty.

I recalled that it was also about this time we went to see a movie called, "The Dirty Dozen," in which criminals are recruited to battle Nazi's. So I did a google snoop to see if there was the potential of connection between these ADV stories and that movie. It did come out in 1967 so it would seem the Legion stories preceded the movie. But then I found the movie was based upon a book, which came out in 1965.

Was that book perhaps a story generator for ADV?

Lard Lad #784890 08/25/13 08:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Beebs...as a matter of fact, in Roger Stern's intro to Archives Vol. 6, he says Shooter was told by Mort to write a Legion story something like "The Dirty Dozen". And the Fatal Five/Sun-eater 2-parter was Shooter's response! nod

Lard Lad #784898 08/25/13 09:51 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Adv. 350

My reviews will continue to be sporadic, but I’ll catch up as I can.

This story has me wishing E. Nelson Bridwell had been the Legion’s regular writer. It exhibits all the professionalism and pacing of Hamilton and yet treats the Legionnaires as real human beings we care about, similar to Shooter’s approach.

Nelson gets us into the story immediately by having Superboy summoned to a Legion emergency. This is one of the first times, as I recall, that Superboy’s involvement in a Legion adventure has begun with him responding to an emergency. Usually, he’s already in the 30th century or he flies into the future to attend a regular meeting. Setting up the story this way, however, immediately gives us a sense of urgency.

The urgency involves a green kryptonite cloud which has circled the earth and cannot be removed without destroying the planet. Nevermind how far fetched this sounds. It works because we see the Legionnaires in action, valiantly using their powers to destroy the cloud. There’s also a nod to science with Element Lad collecting a sample of the cloud and Brainy using a microscope to analyze it. Illogical as it is, this sequence looks plausible.

Nelson’s great skill, in short, is that he’s able to sell a story based on what the characters are doing and the emotions their actions generate, even if the underlying ideas don’t hold up to scrutiny. Nowhere is this more evident than in the honorable discharge ceremony which follows. It makes no sense that Superboy and Supergirl have to be discharged at all—not with time travel enabling them to return to the future in two years, after the green k cloud has passed. It makes no sense for the Legionnaires to bestow gifts upon them and then take those gifts away. And it absolutely makes no sense that Kal and Kara must be made to forget the Legion’s existence.

However, this sequence is so well written and moving that it remain perhaps the most memorable part of the story. The Legion cares about its own and hates to say goodbye, but they do what they must. Lyle is almost ruthlessly efficient in his role as leader. He would make a good military commander.

Bridwell also paces the story very well, devoting Part 1 to the departure of the super-cousins and Part 2 to the Devil’s Dozen. I love how imaginative the villains are—a centaur, a Greek “sun god,” a witch, a Welsh folk hero—all inspired by mythology or folklore. But the Interplanetary Bank guard beasts are even more imaginative and fun, and their battle with the Legionnaires serves as a brilliant showcase of all the characters involved.

Of course there’s Sir Prize and Miss Terious. Dopey robot costumes aside, they provide a lot of the story’s conflict and mystery, all building to a a climax through Garth’s capture and Jo’s insubordination—the perfect place to be continued.

All in all, this is one of my favorite stories of the re-reads so far and one of the best written. Swan and Klein’s easy to follow and appealing artwork doesn’t hurt, either.

Grade: 94.2 (A)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Lard Lad #784929 08/26/13 06:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Adventure #352

It's with #352 that Shooter's run really begins, and it does so with a bang. To me, #352-353 is the most classic Legion story of them all, including the Death of Lightning Lad and so many other moments over the decades. Only the Great Darkness is a contender to knock it off it's throne.

The Death of Ferro Lad is really something. Until this point no ongoing actual superheroes had died and stayed dead; it was revolutionary. And the fact that it became so essential within Legion lore really enhanced the mystique around the issues. Of course, the death itself is heroic in the extreme and IMO sets the standard for all future heroic deaths.

Even putting aside the big finish, there is so much to be awed by here. First and foremost there are the Fatal Five--the quintessential Legion enemies. First Nemesis Kid, the Khunds, Dr. Regulus and Universo, and now five totally unique and thrilling enemies. Each one is ingenuous on their own! But all at once? Bloody liberty, the kid was on fire.

It's interesting that such a strong, classic story only really features five Legionnaires. You have "star" Superboy, recurring lead Sun Boy, one of Shooter's obvious favorites Cosmic Boy and then two of the newbies. Princess Projectra's involvement in this story helped make me a fan of her originally and helps cement the idea of her (and in a way, KK) as a genuine Legionnaire who had been through hell with them.

The Sun-Eater itself is a fantastic idea as well. There was the previous Sun-Eater, and I've often wondered if Shooter was aware of it. This one certainly shares nothing other than a common name. It's also a great move that we don't learn all that much about the Sun-Eater here; that would come in a few issues, but for now it was a pure agent of chaos and horror.

While the big death is next issue, this first part focuses on the majesty of the Fatal Five and the terror of the Sun-Eater.

First, wonderful, classic prologue introducing the Sun-Eater!

The Legion gets up to date on the five worst villains in the galaxy and each of the Fatal Five is given an excellent melodramatic introduction! A page each, the intros are really exciting! I especially like how Validus is shown to not be evil, but is the most terrifying of them all.

The tension suddenly goes to 11 (on a scale of 1 to 10) as Superboy is alerted to the Sun-Eater and explains it to the newbies. Again, fantastic concept, and really strong artistic choices by Swan. The top left panel on page 10 showing the stars of a galaxy going out one by one is phenomenal, and I suspect a major inspiration for Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Being so short-handed, the Legion is forced to ask for help, and the replies are a shock! I'd forgotten about this part, as the story gains a High Noon type feel. I'd have loved to see these characters again, and how they'd feel and be perceived after they refused to aid the Legion. In a way, it would explain why so few other superheroes are seen in the 31st Century afterwards--they've all been disgraced!

The Legionnaires interacting with each of the Fatal Five is formulaic, yet has the feel of a classic. Knowing how he was portrayed later, I can't help but feel Validus could just reach out and crush Sun Boy at any given moment, so that makes those panels more unnerving.

The issue benefits from being a two issue story so there is plenty of breathing room. For a first time reader, there is a LOT to take in, and the pacing allows one to grasp such a plethora of new concepts and characters. #352 ends on a note that implies a great aura of majesty and the grandiose; the stakes have never been this high! Can't wait for part 2!

Back issue bonus: the origin of Cosmic Boy is revealed in text! Although really, it's the origin of the Legion! The text reveals the classic Cos / Imra / Garth / RJ Brande origin scenario, as well as naming Cos's parents and Pol Krinn. It also firmly establishes Cos was the first leader of the Legion.

Elsewhere in the DCU: Jimmy Olsen's concurrent issue has a classic Legion cover, with Jimmy dressed and empowered as Sun Boy, Element Lad and Lightning Lad! However, I don't think any actual Legionnaires appear in it (though I may be wrong).

Cool House Ad Alert! B'Wana Beast!! And also, the Golden Age Atom guests in the Silver Age Atom's series.

Lard Lad #784930 08/26/13 06:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ps - HWW, please do keep your reviews coming, even if they're late! I'm in agreement about Bridwell's strengths, and how he has the good elements of both Hamilton and Shooter. I'm super curious about how he'll do in his next one, the Origin of the Legion.

Lard Lad #784973 08/26/13 11:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Ah, the Sun-Eater story! One of the few Adventure Era stories which I remember as vividly as I do most of the Postboot-era issues.

I'd have to argue that the Fatal Five are now THE ultimate Legion villains. Both the Postboot era and Levtiz's latest run ended with fights against the Fatal Five.

Shooter chooses a good cast here. Cosmic Boy is definitely a fave of his - he would also be one of the 5 Shooter chooses for the NEXT Fatal Five story.

Interesting that Sun Boy (fetching Validus) and Ferro Lad (fetching Mano) arguably do the best - neither gets attacked by the villains they fetch. Projectra holds her own against the Persuader until he convinces himself the illusions aren't real, though she gains a measure of respect from him. Superboy (fetching the Emerald Empress) and Cosmic Boy (fetching Tharok) fare the worst, and we can see clearly that Tharok is the most treacherous of all!

Interesting that the Emerald Eye is weak to kryptonite. I wonder what Shooter had in mind for that?

Love that the Legion tried so hard to get the help of other heroes, and loved seeing their responses. It adds to the desperation of them having to turn to the villains (and provides a vastly better reason for that than the Postboot version did, and that's coming from a hardcore Postboot fan!)

I'd say the threat of the Sun-Eater was established so well, that the Legionnaires failing to take even better safeguards against the Fatal Five's possible treachery made sense. They had so little time, and they were under a lot of pressure. Plus, there were only 5 of them (unlike in the Legion toon, where Bouncing Boy and Shrinking Violet anticipated the Emerald Empress' backstabbing and took appropriate steps).

He Who Wanders #784977 08/26/13 11:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Adv. 350

But the Interplanetary Bank guard beasts are even more imaginative and fun, and their battle with the Legionnaires serves as a brilliant showcase of all the characters involved.

Colossal Boy's fight!!! Bonk, heh heh.

Lard Lad #784981 08/26/13 12:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
ADV 352-353

Most famous for introducing Ambush Bug!

No? That's not him?

This is one of the Legion stories that most gets up my defenses if anyone talks "badly" about it, diminishes or tries to put their personal spin on one of the characters. It's always been iconic but I can only laugh at myself no because on re-reading I realized that MANY of the things I thought, never to be messed with, I had remembered incorrectly. Mano was Timberwolf quick? Pursauder more than a tough bully? Validus talks! If a future writer showed Validus talking, I was ALL over that. Validus doesn't talk.

Hell, he never shuts up!

Still, the characters can't be beat but this is a story, like Stalag, that I feel would win in a rewrite. I think some of the logic leaps and interactions can be tightened up, particularly in 353.

The best written scene in this first part I felt was the one where Tharok declares himself "leader." After my initial reaction to balk and think, no way Legion would let Tharok be in charge, the way Tharok phrased it and C-boy's response made it work. A sterotypical story, we'd have three issues of head butting and urinating. Wisely, everyone agreed in order to get on with business. The villains seem to have really bought into the "this concerns me" bit.

Lard Lad #784997 08/26/13 03:27 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Some stories are just plain iconic. The Fatal Five/Death of Ferro Lad 2-parter is one of them. The emotions evoked are so resonant, and the villains so imaginatively conceived, that the story transcends its formulaic and schematic aspects.

The Fatal Five were actually what got me interested in the Legion in the first place, many years ago when little Fanfic Lady saw the cover of what she later discovered was the Dark Man story from the Gerry Conway era. I have yet to read said story, but the Fatal Five's sheer colorfulness and charisma was so powerful, that it was enough to make an impression which would eventually culminate, years later, in me fully embracing superhero comics.

I love the beautiful, regal, cold-blooded Emerald Empress, although in my opinion she didn't reach full bloom until the Baxter era, when she finally led the Fatal Five.

Mano has always scared me to the marrow of my bones.

Validus is one of the best-designed monsters in the history of comics.

Tharok could be really cool if he were re-imagined and re-designed in a cutting-edge way.

Persuader is my least favorite, partly because of his thuggishness, partly because his axe is too improbably powerful.

And Ferro Lad's heroic sacrifice is heartbreaking, yet at the same time curiously comforting in that the best of sentient beings often shine brightest under tragic circumstances.

Sadly, if this story were told today, people would probably roll their eyes and expect Ferro Lad to be back in some form or other within the next 3 years.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #785000 08/26/13 05:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

Persuader is my least favorite, partly because of his thuggishness, partly because his axe is too improbably powerful.

I put the axe in the metaphor category to rationalize some sense into it. Well, after I learned what a metaphor was, THEN I put the axe into that category. It's really something else. We just perceive it as an axe.

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

And Ferro Lad's heroic sacrifice is heartbreaking,
He's not dead yet. Got a whole nother issue!

Hmm. "nother" isn't a word. I'm getting a spelling error indicator.

nanner

Not a word.

My life is coming apart.

Lard Lad #785004 08/26/13 05:56 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Captain Punctuation to the rescue!

'nother

(can't do anything for nanner, though)

sorry

Lard Lad #785033 08/26/13 09:57 PM
Leader
Leader
Nan Ner, Nura Nal's cousin from Naltor.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Lard Lad #785078 08/27/13 09:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Code name: It. Hah! Since I knew "It" was the Suneater, the effect was lost - but original readers must have wondered what sort of monstrosity was coming.

In the early Legion stories, everything extraordinary was preceded by super or space. This story deserves both those adjectives. It's a great tale, with lots of emotion and five fantastic villains who would come back many times to tangle with the Legion. The one-page history per villain, their appearances and the reaction of the Legionnaires give us a solid introduction to these truly evil criminals.

Interesting that in the bright and shiny future, two of the criminals face imminent capital punishment - Validus apparently because he's just a massive pest. Well, it makes for a more exciting story than mental re-programming.

Is this the only time that the Emerald Eye was found by someone, as opposed to it seeking out a host?

Projectra was totally self-assured in her confrontation with Persuader. It's a good change from a number of later Legion rookies who would be either too arrogant or timid.

Shame on all those other superheroes for giving up or saying it wasn't their problem! They should lose the hero moniker. I liked how the Fatal Five viewed the Legion's proposal both as a way to get free of the law and, for some, a challenge.

I'd noted in another thread that this story presents some lovely tech which we never saw again: the warp ship, Projectra's transceiver device and Cosmic Boy's mento-helmet.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lard Lad #785084 08/27/13 10:10 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Re the threat of the Fatal Five, the power demonstrations, treachery and squabbles go a long way towards making the Five a credible threat. Take Mano, for example: his power is in his hand. You could hit him from behind, or perhaps hit his head, and you'd be safe. Yet Shooter shows us just how fast he can move, so we know it's not going to be THAT easy.

Then we have the Persuader. You'd think that he'd be nothing without his axe - but Shooter shows us how tough and strong he is even unarmed. It's not going to be that easy to get the axe away from him either!

Fat Cramer #785094 08/27/13 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

Is this the only time that the Emerald Eye was found by someone, as opposed to it seeking out a host?

I believe so. The whole "seeking out a host" thing was a retcon, and not a good one in my opinion (not a fan of how the Emerald Empress ended up late in Levitz's run.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #785107 08/27/13 05:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Of all the writers that have created bad guys, one shots and done, what is it about these five that made them instant classics?

Would they have become classics if introduced, one at a time? Was it the story?

Validus's instant instant iconery, easy to fathom. I thought it was only me but so many others have posted the same thoughts, there's something perfectly Frankenstienian about him. Perfect back story. perfect look. Definitely perfect look.

The Empress, I can see that one too and a lot of it has to do with Swan. But what 15 year old dreams up a hotty with an eye? Kid must of been on the peyote, or is there something from mythology on which she is modeled.

Otherwise, we have a guy with an axe, a guy with a hand and a guy. Lots of writers have come up with bad guys like these that didn't stick.

Blockade Boy #785123 08/27/13 10:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Otherwise, we have a guy with an axe, a guy with a hand and a guy. Lots of writers have come up with bad guys like these that didn't stick.

I disagree. I think, of these three, that Tharok has a pretty iconic look and hook about him. I'm not sure, but he may have been the one among them who most captured my tween imagination. Swan really nails the creepy aspect of his look. The robot half is imperfectly integrated with the human half--meaning the proportion is not evened out to account for flesh and sinew. The facial "bumps" and two-toed foot enhance the alien-ness of that side. But when you add in how his human eye is black with a white pupil, he just exudes evil. I'd say, even after all these years, that Tharok's potential has just barely had its surface scratched!

Mano also has a very original, interesting visual. And with his ability to destroy a whole planet, he's potentially the most dangerous of the five. Tons of potential, also, that's barely been explored.

Persuader...yeah, pretty much the weakest link in terms of his needing the other four to validate his existence. His axe, however, has often had its abilities explored in creative ways. Shooter sets kind of a goofy standard for it with the gravity-cancelling example shown in this story. Definitely rolled my eyes at that one! What needed to be done with him was to make his character complex and interesting to counteract his more "blah" look and power-set. Never really happened.

Lard Lad #785124 08/27/13 10:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
You know one thing that strikes me as strange? To this point, fm his first appearance thru 352, I don't think there's even been a passing mention as to why Ferro Lad wears the mask! Maybe it's been in some of this backmatter you guys have referred to that's in the original comics, but unless I've missed something, the explanation has yet to appear in-story. Maybe in 353....?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,006
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires