Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/16/24 09:39 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Ann Hebistand - 06/16/24 06:49 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 10 JUNE*
by razsolo - 06/16/24 04:27 AM
Why he was arrested.
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:49 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:47 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:46 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/16/24 02:45 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Favorite Volume of the Legion of Super Heroes!
Eryk Davis Ester #784928 08/26/13 05:25 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Actually I like the way we're doing it. It hasn't been done before, as far as I know.

If you wanted to break it down more systematically you would have far more volumes. For instance, there was the pre-Adventure run, the Hamilton/Siegel Era, the Shooter/Bridwell Adventures, the Action backups, the Superboy half-issues (including Cockrum's run) and the return to full-length stories via the takeover of the original Superboy book...that's six volumes (or even seven if you count "Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes" and "Superboy And The Legion Of Super-Heroes" as separate volumes) and we still haven't gotten to the official vol. 2 yet!

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Eryk Davis Ester #784931 08/26/13 06:39 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Yeah, we've done things by era before, and there's always a question of how finely you want to draw the lines where one era begins and another ends.

But with vol. 7 ending, I thought it would be fun to just take things straightforwardly on the basis of series that have been titled "The Legion of Super Heroes" and see how things play out without trying to impose order on the Legion's bizarre publishing history.

Eryk Davis Ester #784940 08/26/13 09:14 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I like the way you did it too, Eryk--nicely different.

For me, it was really only two that could possibly compete: the first is V.2, which started as Superboy, and TMK. V.2 had the awesome second Levitz run (and I kind of include Superboy and the Legion as well). But ultimately, I voted for V.4 TMK, which not only had the best written Legion ever, it also included the early reboot issues, which I also hold in extremely high regard.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 08/26/13 09:15 AM.
the Hermit #784947 08/26/13 09:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by the Hermit
Volume 4 was a real oddity in that it was, in many ways, three different books. There was the 5YG run, which pretty much ended when the Earth blew up, the end of an era period, including the much-hated Legion on the Run sequence, and finally the reboot, including the Blight stories that led into Legion Lost.

Each of those three were wildly different from each other, making it difficult to vote for that volume.

Although I thought the 5YG stuff was very well crafted, it was ultimately harmful to the franchise itself, as it replaced the idea of a universe where good was the norm and the bad guys were aberrations that the Legion was there to counteract with a universe that was actually quite depressing (and the legion itself quite ineffective). As I feel that operating in a positive future is an integral part of what the Legion is all about, I have to put the 5YG stuff in the minus column.

I actually consider the first couple years of the reboot to be among the best Legion books ever, but I preferred the Manga influenced Jeff Moy art in Legionnaires to Lee Moder's exaggerated stylings in the main book, and some of the other artists that worked on the book after Moder left were just awful, IMO. Plus, although there were a couple decent 20th century stories in the issues leading up to #100, I am, and have always been, against having Legionnaires interact with present-day characters. My main reason for this is that Legionnaires have always been allowed to grow as characters, while DC's present-day characters are, for marketing reasons, static entities who are forced to undergo periodic retcons to remain relevant. The two just don't mix well.

And then there was the post-5YG era in which the Legion was floundering around waiting for the reboot to happen. The less said about that period the better.

This post so perfectly echoes my view, it's like I wrote it myself.

Despite my Reboot love, I voted for vol. II because I think that the 5YL ultimately harmed this franchise in a way it's never been able to recover from.

Eryk Davis Ester #784970 08/26/13 11:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
As of now V4 is winning! But is it because of 5 Years Later fans, Reboot fans, or both?

Invisible Brainiac #785019 08/26/13 08:44 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
As of now V4 is winning! But is it because of 5 Years Later fans, Reboot fans, or both?

It's probably benefitting from fans of one or the other. I voted for it primarily for 5YL, but I liked much of the reboot stuff therein as well.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Eryk Davis Ester #785020 08/26/13 08:48 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
And, also, V2 is technically considered from #259-on, right, when "Superboy" was dropped? At least one person who voted for it cited Levitz's first run factoring in.

Oh, what a long, strange trip it is to be a Legion fan! smile

Eryk Davis Ester #785024 08/26/13 09:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The good of the 5YL/Reboot eras outweigh the bad and therefore it overtakes all other volumes in the poll for me.

Of course, the S/LSH era (esp Cockrum/Grell) trumps them all. *smile*

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Eryk Davis Ester #785098 08/27/13 12:57 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Okay, at the end of the day, my heart told me to go v4 as well!

Though either Adventure or S/LSH would have trumped it!

Eryk Davis Ester #785099 08/27/13 01:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Another vote here for v.4

Absolutely a volume with a split-personality, but that first half (5YL) as - in my opinion - one of the most compelling and intelligent super-hero comics ever written, tips the scales and earns my vote.

Eryk Davis Ester #785100 08/27/13 03:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
V 2 here, though in my heart it also includes the excellent Tales run and first few years of reprints, because that's how I read it.

Eryk Davis Ester #785101 08/27/13 04:03 PM
And then there was steak!
I went with V4, but only because it included the Reboot. I don't much care for 5YL.

So where does the "later" Reboot fall in? Does that not count as V4?

Eryk Davis Ester #785103 08/27/13 04:35 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Almost all of DnA's run was published in titles called something other than "Legion of Super Heroes". So, Legion Lost vol. 1, Legion Worlds, and The Legion. So, like the Adventure Era, it's excluded for the purposes of this poll.

Eryk Davis Ester #785109 08/27/13 06:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
To clarify my position, I say S/LSH trumps Adventure because it includes some of the best Adventure era stories... I read classics like The Adult Legion, The Luck Lords, The Outlawed Legion, Super-Stalag of Space, and especially The Forgotten Legion (from ADV 350-351) right alongside the super-sexy current-day adventures via reprints published during the S/LSH era.

It was truly a time like no other to be an extremely young, impressionable fan.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Eryk Davis Ester #785112 08/27/13 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Almost all of DnA's run was published in titles called something other than "Legion of Super Heroes". So, Legion Lost vol. 1, Legion Worlds, and The Legion. So, like the Adventure Era, it's excluded for the purposes of this poll.

Ooohhhhh, I hadn't really thought of that! I tend to just lump certain boots together and assume they're "volumes". XD

Lard Lad #785116 08/27/13 08:32 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally Posted by Paladin

Oh, what a long, strange trip it is to be a Legion fan! smile

Yes, but it's so groovy. :needajerrygarciasmilie:

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Eryk Davis Ester #785128 08/27/13 10:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I can't pick one volume. It makes me frustrated and angry to have to try.

Eryk Davis Ester #785130 08/27/13 10:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

My brain froze yesterday when trying to decide between ... first Giffen run ... and 5YL ...

I have decided, after shutting down and restarting that 5YL is the best "book" of the LSH (critically .. I think it is one of the best comic books in history) but ... my heart belongs to the SECOND Giff run ... pre and during Magic Wars. THOSE COSTUMES were on FIRE.

yes I said it ... it dosn't get any better than a cute Pol Krinn, short haired Saturn Girl and Lightning Lass, and Mysa on an Arch Mage rampage!!!!!!!

Eryk Davis Ester #785138 08/27/13 11:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've amazed myself. Before just now, I would never believe I'd vote the way I did.

I did a quick browse of the covers to refresh my memory. I bought the books as they came out and, for the most part, haven't reread them since. Therefore Volumes 1 & 2 are at a disadvantage except for a few very memorable stories. Overall, the old-school style doesn't appeal to me that much now, although there's some nostalgia.

Volume 3...overall, not too memorable either. Seems rather dated in an unappealing way.

All that said, it was the first three volumes that made me love the Legion. And as I reread them, as I'm beginning to, I may change my "favorite."

Volumes 6 & 7 I remember too well and they're definitely not my favorites.

That leaves 4 & 5.

Volume 5 I endured as the series was published, but looking back I find I remember the stories and characters fondly, and actually enjoyed some parts of it. Or at least my memory filter now says I did. wink It's probably my second favorite.

Volume 4, very surprisingly, got my vote. I'm surprised because I despised the darkness and destruction of 5YL. I couldn't stand Legion on the Run. I despised(!) the Blight. I hated the art on all of them. And yet, these stories are by far the most memorable to me. Not in a nightmarish way, but because, I suppose, of the way they caused me to engage more deeply with both the story and the art.

Funny that Volume 4 hardly represents what I love about the Legion.

Suddenly I feel schizophrenic. nod shake

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Eryk Davis Ester #785151 08/27/13 11:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
And so far, V4 has half the vote! So of 26 voters to this point, many must have felt most engaged with it for various reasons. It's also, by the way, the longest of the 7 volumes by a lot. (V2 would be longer if you count the pre-259 co-starring issues and its run as "Tales..."

Still, no love for Vols. 5, 6 & 7 in the poll!

For some reason, though, I feel the need to concur with LT that Vol. 5 wasn't ALL bad. I pretty much enjoyed all of Shooter's run, honestly. Too bad about Justin Thyme, though... mad

Vol. 6, I felt, was going pretty well until the extra pages were taken away. I think Paul was telling pretty entertaining stories with the extra space. I think cutting down to 20 pages made him equate with cutting out the "extraneous" things that we used to love about his writing. Loved the annual, too!

Vol. 7.....almost a total train wreck. That "day in the life" kind of issue with Walt Simonson was very good, though. Probably because it devoted a whole issue to the kind of stuff we wanted from Paul all along. Otherwise, almost completely forgettable.

Lard Lad #785153 08/27/13 11:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

Vol. 7.....almost a total train wreck. That "day in the life" kind of issue with Walt Simonson was very good, though. Probably because it devoted a whole issue to the kind of stuff we wanted from Paul all along. Otherwise, almost completely forgettable.

that simonson issue is the only issue I have of that volume!

reminded me of volume 3.

Lard Lad #785156 08/27/13 11:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Too bad about Justin Thyme, though... mad

No question, that gets my vote for least favorite Legion thing ever.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Eryk Davis Ester #785177 08/28/13 06:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, logically, Vol 4. is the only representative of two separate runs, so It makes sense it's pulling ahead since both have their ardent fans, as daft as they may be (**ducks**). Whereas the Levitz era straddles Vol.2 & 3.

Someone dug those the reprints though.

Eryk Davis Ester #785183 08/28/13 07:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Interesting that V2 is so far trouncing V3, despite both being part of Levitz's acclaimed run. Perhaps we should be giving more credit to some of the other creators who've worked on the Legion, and whose work appears in v2!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/28/13 07:16 AM.
Eryk Davis Ester #785201 08/28/13 10:05 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainac
Interesting that V2 is so far trouncing V3, despite both being part of Levitz's acclaimed run. Perhaps we should be giving more credit to some of the other creators who've worked on the Legion, and whose work appears in v2!

I agree. I will do so right now.

Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
Volume 3...overall, not too memorable either. Seems rather dated in an unappealing way.

How so? Because I think v2 is far more dated. Giffen's pre-Omen art might have looked impressive thirty years ago, but now it looks underwhelming, and the drab coloring doesn't help either.

People complain about the garishness of the coloring in v3, and while I do think it wasn't suited for certain comics, it did fit the LSH like a hand in glove. And I also think Greg LaRocque and Steve Lightle both trounced any version of Giffen soundly.

As for Levitz's writing on v2 and v3, I find it pretty much the same throughout, except for the last year-and-a-half (Conspiracy through Magic Wars), where I think there's a steep decline in story quality.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,188
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024