Roll Call
1 members (Lone Wolf Legionnaire), 29 Murran Spies, and 115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Why doesn't anyone here say 'chuffed', damnit?!?
by rickshaw1 - 06/07/24 10:32 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 06/07/24 10:31 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by rickshaw1 - 06/07/24 10:30 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/07/24 09:46 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/07/24 08:20 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/07/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/07/24 08:00 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes 38 ***Spoilers***
#78903 01/24/08 01:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Is this Virus girl the threeboot version of Infectious Lass? And if so how to we break it to Lash? </span></span>

Faithfull
#78904 01/24/08 01:51 PM
Active
Active
I have a feeling we'll see Spy, Voice and M'Rissey again. And Voice's powers reminded me of Mentalla from the baxter books. when she said dully slow witted dumb types i immediatelly flashed to Mentalla using Ultra Boy's flash vision. smile

Bring back the super-cousins
#78905 01/24/08 01:54 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
So <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Is this Virus girl the threeboot version of Infectious Lass? And if so how to we break it to Lash? </span></span>
I think so and I don't know how.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#78906 01/24/08 02:48 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I really hope we see Spy again sometime down the road. He just had a very cool look and his power did seem usefull. While not a flashy power he would fit in well on something like the Espionage Squad if the team ever needs one.

It is funny that in just a couple issue Shooter made me like both Gissele and Spy more than I did any of the new characters in Waid's Tera Firma or the Wanderers group.

#78907 01/24/08 03:07 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

My one gripe is that (with the exception of Fruit Boy) Shooter is using the 90's as a basis to name his Legion rejects. I thought the main reason we rebooted to this Legion was to get back to Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass names! This isn't the X-Men!*
You mean like Dawnstar, Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Shrinking Violet, Chemical King...Tellus...Quislet...Blok?

Even...dare I say it, Nightcrawler(almost)?

I get the point you're making but having a rule forcing them to use Lad, Lass, Girl or Boy in their name would cause some original Legionaires to change their names...

I say ditch the rule, and just have it be a trend where 31st century youth often use Lad or Girl etc. in their names as a tribute to teen heroes of antiquity...but they don't have to do that to be a member of the team.

My major concern is that the ones that have always had those names keep them...moreso than new members have that style name.

Anyway...I loved the issue, it was funny and Shooter has this title running at about 100 miles per hour.

I agree that the exclamations need some work...but I think it's mainly a case of Shooter finding a handle...it almost seemed like he was trying them out to find out which ones he liked best...

Fun issue...again.

#78908 01/24/08 03:20 PM
Active
Active
BTW...<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">By the way...I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the group of applicants...well, they look like they could wind up the 3boot version of the subs...

A couple of the applicants paid at least a little homage to the subs, like Infectious Lass and Chlorophyll Kid...

Fruit Boy is destined for immortality in Legion Lore

</span></span>

#78909 01/24/08 04:01 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
Lilith was always my favourite Titan too... in fact I only read the book because she was in it.

It's too bad that our only access to Dream Girl these days is through the always over-exposed Brainy. It's nice Shooter has kept him in the background thus far... his character was getting to be far too similar to L.E.G.I.O.N.'s Vril Dox. Hopefully, Shooter will give this character a fresher spin.
What was even worse was HOW Lilith died....one of the most poorly written deaths EVER. Why would a telepath who can't sense a BERSERKING Superman's mind go up to try to TOUCH him????!!!! Then she tries to SCRATCH him!!?? She can teleport!!

Ugg that whole story just makes me angry.....Judd Winick wrote that story....even worse now he is doing the new "Titans" series. He makes all guys into jerks and all women into bimbos.

<sigh> anyway back to Dream Girl....I only have the furst 2 trades of Waid/Kitson run. What issue does Dream Girl start talking to Brainey again? I think she foresaw her death. She realized what the "darkness" was.

Has Shooter mentioned about bringing her back?

#78910 01/24/08 04:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
"Eat snorg and die!" will certainly come in handy the next time I argue with my neighbors. Though I agree the mock cuss words were overdone, I hope the effort to give the Legion a unique voice and vocabulary continues. "Sprock" has definitely lost its zing -- they're using it now in the Johnny DC comic book as the kid-friendly equivalent of "damn".

Worth the price of admission -- Saturn Girl animating the unconscious SPs to fire on the Life Eradicators. One of the most innovative use of her powers I've ever seen, which deserved a much larger panel than it got. Ditto Star Boy breaking a creature in two with his gravity powers. Gruesome but original.

I'm sorry to leave Triton behind so soon but I have a strong feeling it's not goodbye to "Ballerina Girl". I suspect Lyle will seek her out and try to awaken her inner hero. He has his work cut out for him.

Nor is it the last we'll see of the evolving Life Eradicators, obviously.

Fruit Boy is definitely one for the ages, and loved that Sludge had a dirty mind to go with his dirty powers. Imo, the only candidate who disappointed was Virus. She can't hold a candle -- visually at least -- to Infectious Lass. I don't know about M'Rissey. Do we really need another brown-haired boy genius on the team?

Now for Garth, who is beginning to reap the seeds he unwittingly sowed in issue #14, when he "sold" the Legion to the United Planets. I'm glad Shooter is pursuing the ramifications of his action, as painful as it is for LL. I haven't lost hope for him, however, and I'm putting my trust in Shooter that the outcome of his arc won't be character evisceration but positive character building. LL's reaction to the candidates was characteristically intemperate, true, but it would have been far worse for the Legion had he knuckled under to the U.P.'s outrageous demands. It's not over for him yet, methinks.

The artwork in the Triton scenes was spectacular, the HQ stuff not quite as wonderful (LL's nose kept changing size). Shooter's dialogue isn't as good as Waid's, there's not an ounce of subtlety to his writing, and the new infusion of frenetic action and high melodrama comes almost as a shock to the system. The effect isn't altogether pleasant, but I still can't wait for the next dose.

#78911 01/24/08 05:26 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
[QUOTE] anyway back to Dream Girl....I only have the furst 2 trades of Waid/Kitson run. What issue does Dream Girl start talking to Brainey again? I think she foresaw her death. She realized what the "darkness" was.

Has Shooter mentioned about bringing her back?
The non-corporal Dream Girl first appears at the end of Supergirl and the LSH #21. She also graces the cover.

No word yet from Shooter re: bringing her back.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#78912 01/24/08 06:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
The non-corporal Dream Girl first appears at the end of Supergirl and the LSH #21. She also graces the cover.

No word yet from Shooter re: bringing her back.
Wow I just found the cover on Mile High Comics - beautiful cover!!

I wish she would go back to the codename Dreamer though....or even Dream.

Thanks for the info!!

#78913 01/24/08 08:21 PM
Active
Active
How years old has Shooter? 70 or more?
The new candidates are too much silly for my taste.
Virus? A bad copy of Drura.
Fruit Boy? Sludge? These characters don't work for me, they aren't funny.
Only can give me sadness, because I waiting for so long for my favorites ones (Condo, Dawnstar, Andrew, Chuck)
If the plan is from now write the plots like the 60's, this Legion are doomed.

From UK with glamour.
#78914 01/24/08 09:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There certainly was a lot of excitement this issue. It was well balanced with the silliness of the candidates. CBR's BUY PILE column highlighted this issue, and even gave Garth some suggestions for his recruits.

Seeing the Triton team totally trounce the troublesome technoids was a blast. Seeing them cut loose- give me a more aggressive Legion.

Seeing Garth in over his head, good to know they aren't all perfect people. Between that and SG's comment about his skill on the battlefield- I can't wait to see him in action again.

I liked the art, but it had it's manga moments. Giselle had a perfect look, Sludge and Spy too.

Just spouting off.
#78915 01/24/08 10:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
How years old has Shooter? 70 or more?
The new candidates are too much silly for my taste.
Virus? A bad copy of Drura.
Fruit Boy? Sludge? These characters don't work for me, they aren't funny.
Only can give me sadness, because I waiting for so long for my favorites ones (Condo, Dawnstar, Andrew, Chuck)
If the plan is from now write the plots like the 60's, this Legion are doomed.
Shooter was born in 1951, so he's 56 years old. He was barely a teenager when he first wrote the Legion back in the 1960s!

Sorry you aren't enjoying it so far, I'm finding it to be fun. I don't mind the throwback to the old times. I think the "useless" candidates was supposed to be poking fun at the old Legion try outs, and it was funny. You're right though, there was no reason to substitute "Virus" for "Infectious Lass" (unless Jim has a master plan that will include her later??? smile )

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#78916 01/25/08 03:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Try-outs are traditionally filled with ridiculous characters. Academy scenes usually have more promising candidates.

Since these were "pre-approved" candidates, it suggests that buffoons are running that section of the U.P. bureaucracy. Or is it a plan to discredit the Legion? The candidates' powers were either ineffectual or uncontrolled (M'rissey's worth remains to be proven). Surely there were far better potential legionnaires out there, even among the sons and daughters of the officials.

In the last issue we saw an implacable U.P. bureaucracy dealing with Projectra and the attacks of bean-counters and favor-seekers on Lightning Lad.

In the pre-boot, the U.P. was pretty much in the background, running like well-oiled clockwork, emerging from time to time to turn on the Legion (usually an evil-leader or Universo story) or meddle in their affairs. The post-boot saw more meddling, at least at the start. Since the beginning of the 3boot, the U.P. has been a continual irritation.

We may have shifted the focus from kids vs adults to heroes vs bureaucracy.

It will be interesting to see what Shooter does with the Science Police.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#78917 01/25/08 06:22 AM
Leader
Leader
I wonder if M'rrisey is a tribute to Legion fan extraordinaire Rich Morrisey, who died several years ago. I had the pleasure of knowing him through one of the Legion APAs, APA-LSH.

As to the issue, Shooter's going to need more than two issues to make me a total convert, but he certainly seems to be moving in the right direction, except for being so ambiguous about deadly force. And I'm loving the art -- it's so dynamic.

#78918 01/25/08 06:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Instead of killing Giselle off, as most readers had feared/suspected, JS decided to keep her alive while using her to help Imra's team through the rough battle. Even after Saturn Girl offered her a chance to try out for the team she passed, stating her own personal feelings as to why.
This made for a more realistic outcome. Not everyone aspires to be a Legionnaire. What to go Jim!

#78919 01/25/08 06:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That should read "way to go"...... smile

#78920 01/25/08 07:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just read it. Love the cover! Love the art in general! Francis you knocked it out of the park. Like the coloring lots as well. Nice how the glowing ring shield around the Legionnaires is a golden orange and not yellow. Too much yellow lately with the Sinestro Corps.

Story? Loved it. Awesome action with Saturn Girl & Co. Love her fighting with a weapon. Still think they should have the rings have some limited offensive capabilties. Just like a force blast and a force field. (Maybe limited telekinesis...you know Brainy's belt but a smaller scale)

I like Giselle. Is she Brazilian? Heh, if she's named after my favorite supermodel I have no probs.

Shooter got us good with the latest rejects. We were thinking way off. It was very funny. Who doesn't love the try out stuff?! Spy, Voice, and Virus have potential. We did have an Infectious Lass easter egg before by Barry. It would be cool if this is the same girl. And her normal clothes is cool but she needs to throw on one of her sexy outfits asap! wink M'Rissey also has potential. Is he the new Gear? By that I mean a member who is not used for combat but rather for support (administrative) purposes.

So Giselle didn't join. Suprising. I like the U.P. comment.

Nitpicks? Yeah the future cussing was forced. Wouldn't mind some other more imaginitve lingo instead of curse words. While Tinya looks great with a tan it just feels wrong somehow. I can't believe teleport technology is so scarce in the 31st century. I'd expect some Grant Morrison Miracle Machine type teleporters or something.

Great issue! I'm very excited about this Legion!

#78921 01/25/08 11:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
About the same comments as everyone. Was irritated by the future slang cursing.

Otherwise that was good. It's not brilliant, but compared with the 36 previous issues, Shooter has certainly made the characters more likeable in 2 issues.

Manipul's art is uneven but suits the story.

Liked the candidates. quite funny.

Still reserving my judgement... and I'm looking forward to see if the change of creativ eteam has had an impact on the sales.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#78922 01/25/08 01:46 PM
J
Applicant
Applicant
J
Hey everybody!

I wanted to log on just to say how much I'm already liking this new direction for the Legion.

I'm also liking Action Comics right now, but it's great to be so excited about reading Legion again.

#78923 01/25/08 02:30 PM
Active
Active
although i'm not wow'd, it's been a fun, action filled two issues.

some nice strong characterization of Saturn Girl. how can SG ever communicate thru flight ring or monitor board? she's mute. maybe her ring comes with a similar device to the old Tarik the mute's android voicebox? it'd be nice to see some clarification.

the future speak IS annoying, especially since all of it is new. no nass or sprock or even "cool up".

the whole "LL is a bad leader" thing is so much like the storyline we've seen before. the Infectious Lass retread is almost exactly like the original as well. time to move on to something new please. i hope Shooter returns to reader elections of leader.

Manapul has done a great job on Triton, and the aliens, and even the rejects are visually interesting.
(the Tritonese must be colonizing the moon, and are native to another system. i think we would know by now if our solar system had humanoid aliens.)
the bad guys tend to get lost in the background. not sure if it's the coloring or the inking or the all over detail.
i'd also like to see some larger figures and close-ups. many pages seem to have the same size figures across the whole page.

hard to believe getting a space cruiser to zip over to triton would be so impossible. the science police? hello? they arrive in ships right there at the end.

is that the "new" rebuilt HQ in the skyline there?
is that where this "comtrol" and "bridge" is? i thought we were in temporary headquarters somewhere. i like the revamped rocketship design but would love it to be red and gold again.

i'm ready to see some more legionnaires now. i especially want to see them all in one big meeting room! some "Meet the Legionnaire" pages would be nice too, especially with all the versions of LSH running around the DCU.
looking forward to next ish.

Gorilla Nebula
#78924 01/25/08 09:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just got this isssue today. I usually run to the comic book store on my lunch hour. On Wednesday, the one closest to work was sold out. I didn't have time to make it to another. I went to a second shop on Thursday, and it was also sold out. I found it at a third shop on today's lunch. They only had three left. Is the S & M Legion selling out other places or is this fluke?

I enjoyed the issue. The silly rejects is a proud and way overused tradition for the Legion. Shooter and Manapul had fun with it. Loved Star Boy this issue. Saturn Girl with a gun is an interesting concept. We'll see how it plays out. Garth in tears at the end really touched me, and was unexpected as much of the issue was so lighthearted.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#78925 01/26/08 02:02 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I don't know abou other stores but I got the last copy from the one I go to, and last months sold out too.

#78926 01/26/08 06:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There weren't any on the shelf when I went for it on Thursday, but they had at least one copy behind the counter for sale, fortunately. I'm pretty sure last issue sold out fast, too. They sold out of the first two LSH issues of Action, too. It took me month to find the first one. I don't know about the third issue, 'cause I got there Wednesday for that one.

I loved #38, btw. I hope we see some different Legionnaires next issue, though.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#78927 01/26/08 11:03 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
FruitBoy Sludge Virus Spy Sonar Voice MRissey

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,953
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Shadow Kid
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Teronna
Teronna
Chicago
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star