Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/15/24 10:14 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 06/15/24 06:28 AM
Why he was arrested.
by rickshaw1 - 06/15/24 06:27 AM
Forgotten items of the DCU
by rickshaw1 - 06/15/24 06:25 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/15/24 05:34 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/15/24 04:01 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/15/24 02:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Let's talk about Legion Of Super-Heroes #3...[SPOILERS]
#82484 02/24/05 08:06 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I was on the fence about TG's new origin - I didn't want to see 1,000 TG's running around. But the conclusion, and her isolation from the rest of the Carggites, made it work for me.

And this creates one of the most unique UP worlds, which counts as a very goood thing in my eyes.

I'd say a really stellar issue - I even enjoyed the humor bits.

#82485 02/24/05 08:46 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Just a thought....Does anyone think that it is possible that TG had something to do with the destruction of Cragg? Maybe that is why she doesn't remember anything, she is blocking it out. It seems ridiculous that a teenage girl could survive the total destruction of a planet and become it's only survivor unless she was somehow involved.

I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed.
#82486 02/24/05 08:58 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
maybe she was out buying shoes?

#82487 02/24/05 09:46 AM
A
Active
Active
A
What is the point of de-powering Element Lad even further? 60 seconds? What good was his pawer last issue then? "Here, I'll transform the poison chemical, then I'll leave before it changes back to poison. Psyche!" They should just change his name to Dissolvo Lad, since that seems the only permanent effect of his powers.

#82488 02/24/05 10:47 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, the 60 second limit on EL's power does seem to generate certain problems.

#82489 02/24/05 11:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like the limitations on Element Lad's powers. It makes the writer dig deeper for innovative solutions to seemingly insurmountable problems. (Mark Waid seems very capable of taking on this task.) That's what makes the Legion interesting to me - Legionnaires who use their somewhat restricted powers in unexpected or clever ways to solve a problem that initially seems unsolvable by their particular super-powers. I get bored very quickly with stories that solve every problem with a massive physical affront. That to me is just lazy writing.

#82490 02/24/05 12:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Semi's back!

#82491 02/24/05 04:00 PM
Leader
Leader
I was under the impression that Jan was using his powers to change his clothing. Is that not the case? I must be mistaken, because they would've changed back in 60 seconds. I hope I was mistaken, because that seems far beyond someone who merely transmutes elements and makes him too much like Marvel's Phoenix. So, does that mean everybody's clothing in the 31st century is presto changeo?

I don't like the 60 second limitation either. The touching limitation is enough I think.

I was displeased with the coloring. Lu looks like she has black hair and a black costume in most panels. I assume she's still a brunette with a purple costume, but it was hard to prove it in this issue.

Not to beat the gay thing to death, but if every human being on Cargg is a teenaged female, rampaging hormones and all, don't you think Lu might be a lesbian? Or at least have experimented with lesbianism? If she'd never met a male before joining the Legion, I could see how she'd be fascinated by them, but I'm thinking she must be at least bisexual.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#82492 02/24/05 05:43 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
My original impression was that he was using his power, too, but he does seem to be twisting his flight ring or something when the clothing changes...

#82493 02/24/05 05:48 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Sun boy does much the same thing to change clothes on page...um...the page with the Kono juice gag.

(I miss page numbers)

#82494 02/24/05 06:24 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I know I am getting older when a planet full of women does not make me think of lesbians....... eek

#82495 02/24/05 06:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Not to beat the gay thing to death, but if every human being on Cargg is a teenaged female, rampaging hormones and all, don't you think Lu might be a lesbian? Or at least have experimented with lesbianism? If she'd never met a male before joining the Legion, I could see how she'd be fascinated by them, but I'm thinking she must be at least bisexual.
In every incarnation I'd expect Lu to have experimented.

But even if she experimented a LOT that would only speak to her experience, not her orientation (which might be hetero-, homo- or bi-).

#82496 02/24/05 07:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by joe mondo:
I was on the fence about TG's new origin - I didn't want to see 1,000 TG's running around. But the conclusion, and her isolation from the rest of the Carggites, made it work for me.

And this creates one of the most unique UP worlds, which counts as a very goood thing in my eyes.

I'd say a really stellar issue - I even enjoyed the humor bits.
I'm actually wondering what happens what/if the Carggites decide to reproduce. Will all of them be the mother? Will they all inherit the powers of the mother? Can the children safely reproduce with any other half-Carggites? I admit that such ideas are speculation for *years* down the road in terms of the Legionverse, but I'd be interested to know.

Dan
#82497 02/24/05 09:27 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Just re-read the issue....

Shadowy figure in Brainy's lab? (Page 14) Mon-el.

The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous
#82498 02/24/05 09:30 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
the newest Legion title is getting better with each issue!!! I love the character interaction. We are quickly finding out that although we are dealing with chronlogically young people(mostly teens), the Legionnaires are not necessarily children. It's great that the cast is so large, that some of them haven't met. Apparently(from the conversation between E-Lad and Phantom Girl) Element Lad still hasn't met "Atom Girl"...or so
it seems. This is a REAL Legion!

This new incarnation so reminds me of the 80's run. There are so many characters and an endless array of stories to be told. Just think, we probably haven't even been introduced to a quarter of the core cast, never mind everyone else. Great stuff!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
#82499 02/25/05 03:59 AM
Active
Active
Hmmm, random, wild speculation... Mystery person in Brainy's lab, possibly Timber Wolf... What if Brainy's personal recruits trying to do...whatever his plan is, don't adhere to the kid/boy/girl/lad naming standard?

J

"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe\'s Closet
#82500 02/25/05 04:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
sososo...hard not to comment on anything you guys have said cause i haven't read it yet...won't until next week. but it sure does sound interesting...vewy interesting. as in "Jorgey likes it" interesting. wink

#82501 02/25/05 08:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I didn't like this issue as much as the previous 2 (a lot of the jokes fell flat for me and I could've done with some more action) but it was still a very enjoyable comic and light-years ahead of anything I read in the last series!

Some random musings :

* Triplicate Girl (as someone else mentioned) has just had her intelligence/scientific level ratcheted up enormously! To be able to completely rebuild her homeworld from scratch in the short amount of time that it looks like it took here must put her up near Brainy's level of skill! I heartily approve of this extra dimension to her character. I'm really quite intrigued by the idea of a planet populated by thousands of the same person too and look forward to seeing a story there. My only gripe is that I wish the Legion's Luornu had kept the Madrox-type powers. Triplicating into 3 girls is still very weak IMO but multiplying into an army would've made for a much more formidable/interesting dimension.

* I love seeing the roll call back but am not sure I like the one we've got. I'd prefer to see it tweaked so that we can see all the figures on the page in detail but with the ones appearing in the story being the only ones in colour. Also to move those text boxes so that they're under each character's feet and therefore not blocking anyone else. I guess this is all a fairly minor gripe though.

* Brainy's secret agent - at first I thought it was either Jo or Tasmia but later appearances by them made me think not. I bet its that 'mystery Legionnaire' we've been getting hints about.

* Dying to find out what the correct joining-order of membership on this new team is!

* Cham's costume is really growing on me and I sill LOVE Tinya's!

* I'm beginning to think the mystery man in Nura's vision is Mon-el too.

* Loving seeing a Gim appearance every issue! I really liked his crack about 'not staying mad at the little people' too. I think its only natural that he'd have a slightly superior attitude to a world of miniature people. Didn't Gulliver have the same thing?

* LOVED the pay-off when Luornu's triple date with the guys was revealed followed by "BAR!" THAT was funny!

* The highlight of the issue for me though was the exposing of two clear factions in the Legion, one on Brainy's side and one on Cos's side, therefore sowing the seeds for a new 'Civil War of the Legion' storyline! That was one of the first of the Adventure-era comics I read and while it wasn't a great one I did love the idea of Legionnaire vs Legionnaire and have been looking forward ot an update for years! Hopefully Waid has got just that storyline in mind!

* Finally - I know I mention it every month but I'm gonna keep on mentioning it until hopefully something is done about it. The colours in this comic are BLAND BLAND BLAND! Rhonda did a much better job in the last series! Can we have her back please?

Otherwise, keep up the good work guys.

#82502 02/25/05 11:08 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I don't like the 60 second limitation either. The touching limitation is enough I think.
There was the caveat that any of the material which gets "processed" via organic systems and such remains in its transformed state, so he doesn't have to worry about transmuting poisons and having them change back once they've been ingested by someone. Still, yeah, it creates a serious inconvenience if he has to stand around for minutes transmuting and retransmuting hazardous materials until they're completely absorbed by surrounding organics.

Her experience would have been a bit more specific than that...she'd only be used to sleeping with herself! Other women might be almost as novel/weird to her as men.

#82503 02/25/05 12:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
- Legionnaires who use their somewhat restricted powers in unexpected or clever ways to solve a problem that initially seems unsolvable by their particular super-powers.
Wasn't this the basis for the story where Superboy first met the 3 Legionaires? wink

As I recall, all 3 of them beat Superboy, even though he possesed a wider range of powers.

#82504 02/25/05 02:39 PM
S
Active
Active
S
The comic book that Tinya is reading is Batman #122, featuring "The Marriage of Batman and Batwoman." Can I claim credit for this discovery? smile

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#82505 02/25/05 06:56 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Starbucks Kid:
- Legionnaires who use their somewhat restricted powers in unexpected or clever ways to solve a problem that initially seems unsolvable by their particular super-powers.
Wasn't this the basis for the story where Superboy first met the 3 Legionaires? wink

As I recall, all 3 of them beat Superboy, even though he possesed a wider range of powers.
Well, they also used those Legion standbys: backbiting and treachery!

#82506 02/25/05 07:39 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Blacula:
Finally - I know I mention it every month but I'm gonna keep on mentioning it until hopefully something is done about it. The colours in this comic are BLAND BLAND BLAND! Rhonda did a much better job in the last series! Can we have her back please?
There seems to be a deliberate juxtaposition of bright and shiny (the dating scenes) with grim and gritty (the scenes between Cos and Brainy). Still, I agree with you. I find reading those murky pages a real chore.

I also had some problems with Waid's overly verbose dialogue, e.g, "Under what circumstances can you imagine I might refer to a matter-energy logistics difficulty as, I quote, 'licked'". Even Brainy choked on that one. Worse was Garth mouthing words like "Despite its disadvantagous distance from anything even remotely resembling a United Planets stronghold, blah, blah..." He just doesn't talk like that.

I have a few other objections (recorded in the CTR thread). Otherwise I liked it, mainly for the humor and characterizations, but I'm eager to get on with the rest of the story.

#82507 02/25/05 09:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
The comic book that Tinya is reading is Batman #122, featuring "The Marriage of Batman and Batwoman." Can I claim credit for this discovery? smile
Sure, I proclaim you Legion World Historian! Ok, you might have to fight a few others over that title (like Cobalt Kid), but that's your problem. smile

Dan
#82508 02/26/05 08:05 AM
Active
Active
You know I had to weigh in on this one.

Count me in the same camp with those who were wary of Infinite Girl's new origin at first - but eventually succumbed to it by issue's end. It was her segregation from the other TGs on her return to the planet that won me over - plus the fact that the new TG would have near encyclopeidic knowledge. Also, there will be no point in killing off any of her bodies for dramatic impact when a whole planet could take her place. As to that entire planet of TGs - it didn't make sense that they were all dressed in her Legion uniform, albeit minus the TG symbol, prior to her joining. Why would she create a tribute to old superhero duds, complete with cape, on her own? I'm also troubled by the flight ring's inability to triplicate. That is only going to add to the standard view that Lu is a useless superhero.

I like the fresh, new take on Legion romances. We can't be sure who will end up with who. After all, these are teens in the early stages of dating - we can't assume because of 1 or 2 dates that we have a Legion couple on our hands. Dating seems to be more fun than serious - as it should be at this stage. Ultra Boy's urging Lu to "use your power" was the first time the obvious sexual implications of being TG have been so explicitly referred to. I loved that scene.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,167
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Kon-L, ultraaman
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
the Hermit
the Hermit
Stuck in the Psychedelic Era
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star