Roll Call
0 members (), 46 Murran Spies, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/09/24 05:55 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/09/24 04:15 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/09/24 11:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/09/24 09:36 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:00 AM
Moonmoons.
by thoth lad - 06/09/24 07:50 AM
Comic book Catfights
by RED-001 - 06/08/24 07:10 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #7
Lard Lad #832833 12/26/14 01:39 PM
Leader
Leader
I've never been aware of any pre-Adventure 350 snobbery. And I'm a dyed-in-the-wool silver age Legion fan. I do kind of tend to ignore Chemical King and Timber Wolf though, just because they barely appeared in the silver age.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Fanfic Lady #832838 12/26/14 03:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Originally Posted by Colossal Boy
Adventure Comics 366

- Swan and Shooter messed up the splash page of Validus attacking Metropolis. It's not terrible, but it's far from great.

Overall, the second Legion/Fatal Five battle comes up just short of the iconic first battle. But the story introduces Shadow Lass, and the Legion will never be the same (and will someone please explain to me why the pre-Adventure 350 Legionnaires are supposed to be so much more important than the post-Adventure 350 ones, including Shadow Lass??)

Was this issue the first instance in a Legion story of a non-splash full page panel? (the Validus attacking panel)

I didn't know there were pre-Adv350 / post Adv350 factions. I thought there was just a pro-Adventure-era faction that championed those characters over the ones added during Cockrum/Grell and forward (noticeably in 5YL)

I had always assumed that since Adv 350 is considered something of a turning point for the series, and since there was no SW6 Shadow Lass, that there was a kind of "Adventure peaked with The Devil's Dozen story" snobbery.

I don't recall anything along those lines being voiced in the DC or following on message boards. If it's there, I think it sub-conscious.

It's an interesting point. As a pre 250 reader, I don't recall thinking of Shadow Lass ( a Shooter creation ), Wildfire (Bates and Cockrum) or any of the other post ADV250 as interlopers of any sort but at the same time, wouldn't call them "core" either. Even though Shadow Lass is one of the few Legionnaires I consider could hold her own book, you may have a point. I just don't recall it ever being voiced. I certainly wouldn't associate it with the word "snobby."

As for whether some subtle bias resulted in no SW6 for SL, kind of makes me want to dig up the cloning issue, in which they had a splash of the genetic sample vaults to see if there was one for her.

Lard Lad #832850 12/26/14 05:19 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Er... to point out the obvious, the reason that the SW6 lineup was chosen from when it was was to pull in Ferro Lad rather than to exclude anyone else. If there was a bias towards pre-Adventure 350 characters, one would think they would've actually set the lineup post-Adventure 351, after the three members who had resigned had rejoined. Especially since they had already incorporated some of the resets from 351 (Tenzil's weight loss, Garth's arm) anyway.

I think it's no secret that the Bierbaums weren't particularly fans of some of the post-Adventure characters, particularly Wildfire and Dawnstar, but others such as Jacques and Tyroc were really well-used by them.

Lard Lad #832851 12/26/14 05:22 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Hmmm...the proverbial space-elephant in the room. Point taken, EDE.

As for the Bierbaums, I think what they and Giffen did to some (not all) of those characters was criminal, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #832871 12/27/14 03:15 AM
Reservist
Reservist

As for the Bierbaums, I think what they and Giffen did to some (not all) of those characters was criminal, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I agree. My thinking is if a creator does not care for certain characters when taking over a book, then gently take those characters off the table so they are there for the next creator to use, etc. Or use them infrequently. But don't twist, torment and tear down the characters just because you can. of course this leads into Giffen's hatred for Karate Kid (among others) - a discussion for another day and time.

Colossal Boy #832873 12/27/14 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by Colossal Boy

I agree. My thinking is if a creator does not care for certain characters when taking over a book, then gently take those characters off the table so they are there for the next creator to use, etc. Or use them infrequently. But don't twist, torment and tear down the characters just because you can. of course this leads into Giffen's hatred for Karate Kid (among others) - a discussion for another day and time.

Very well said, Colossal Boy. Cheers. cheers

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,011
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024