Roll Call
0 members (), 92 Murran Spies, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/01/24 10:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Re: JSA++ Idol! (Round 7)
Invisible Brainiac #909417 09/17/16 11:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mr.Terrific is an example of a "legacy" (at least in codename) that is more interesting and well-known than the original. He is extremely intelligent, is good at robotics, and has displayed a good head for leadership. His costume nods to the past, while being completely original and modern.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Jfposey #909421 09/17/16 02:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Happy to see us engaging in discussion about the characters! We had a lot of that in JLA Idol, and I hope we have more of that here in JSA Idol too.

Originally Posted by thoth lad

I was curious about Ma Hunkle, why Ystina and why over Justin, Cyclone & Mr Terrific myself and would love to hear more about what they mean to the other voters.

Michael Holt - I agree with Emily, I always found him much more interesting than Terry. Michael was smart, but we saw that many more practical appliacations of that intelligence than we did in Terry.

Cyclone - she was sweet. I empathized with her "atypical depression", her tendency to embarrass herself by babbling on and on, and her "uncool" hobbies. She was a big fan of Wicked, one of my favorite musicals. I love her wind powers, how she used them to great effect such as letting the whole team fly

Ma Hunkle - plucky housewife puts on a costume to fight thugs harassing her neighborhood. So endearing. She did well enough to be noticed by the JSA. She went into witness protection for decades because she testified against some mob members, this involved faking her own death and keeping away from her own children (!) to protect them. The JSA thought so highly of her that when she finally felt she could come out of hiding (because all the mob members had died), they made her their museum curator and housekeeper.

She reminds me so much of my own grandma.

I'm sure Dave can give you more about Ystina. I've never read comics with her in it. She seems to have an interesting backstory, though.

As for E2 Robin, I did like him in the few issues I read as well. A grown up Robin, anyway.

Originally Posted by Jfposey
1. (Justice Society) (Pre-Flashpoint) Anna Fortune
Because the girl is steampunk and I love her short time with the team and we never really got the chance to see her developed. I mad got plans on doing a conversion of her too.

2. (Justice Society) Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
Because come on he 75 years in the business and awesome. No wooden hangers!!!!

3. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
She just kicks ass.

4. (Justice Society) (Pre-Flashpoint) Mister America (Jeffrey Graves)
Another one I loved that got the short run (plus another I plan on during a conversion of).

5. (Justice Society) Mister Terrific (Michael Holt)
Because he is awesome!

Ok so rules have been explained to me. I'm sad but willing to adjust my choices, sniffle.

Sub out Anna for Jay Garrick Flash.

Jeffrey is replaced with Doctor Fate since he is a Lord of Order and can mess with my and my future selves karma.

Happy to see you joining in, Jfposey! And thanks to whomever explained the rules. A nice mix of eras on your list; pleasantly surprised to see a vote for Anna Fortune. I did like her short time in JSA All-Stars.

So your new list would be:

1. (Justice Society) Flash (Jay Garrick)
4. (Justice Society) Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)

Do you want to change your ranking as well? #1 gets way more points than #5, for example.

Invisible Brainiac #909463 09/18/16 12:58 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for the thoughts on those, guys. I quite liked the idea behind Terry Sloane being so naturally good at things that he got no enjoyment out of life whatsoever. It subverted a lot of the other bored millionaire playboy origins. Typing that, there's actually a good modern parallel behind depression striking people from anywhere in society, no matter how their lives are perceived by others.

I'm quite sure this doesn't cross the writers minds, but when Terry walks into a room as Mr Terrific, I think there's a bit of self depreciating humour behind it. It's a name to remind him of how bad being terrific was, and what he's putting the mask on for.

I know there was some tragedy and suicidal tendencies in his origins, but could the name also apply in the same way for him?

He's a really strong character. You could easily see his personality in a number of roles.Michael Holt: Batman or Michael Holt: Hourman etc. work just as well in my head for him as Mister Terrific.

I've not read a huge amount of Cyclone. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the raison d'ĂȘtres behind the DC teams, so the younger legacy characters weren't quite as interesting and the cast size didn't help fro me.

I 've read even less on Ma Hunkle, beyond the Golden Age appearances. It's nice that she's getting some overdue coverage. Ibby's connection on a personal level makes a lot more sense as to why's she's on the list for me, so thanks very much for that.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #909469 09/18/16 01:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks also for sharing some background on Terry, thoth. That makes him stand out from the field of rich talented non-powered heroes. I do recall a story where Terry went to pieces witnessing an Allied army attack on a German village during WWII. It humanized him a lot.

Invisible Brainiac #909473 09/18/16 01:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Ok so rules have been explained to me. I'm sad but willing to adjust my choices, sniffle.

Sub out Anna for Jay Garrick Flash.

Jeffrey is replaced with Doctor Fate since he is a Lord of Order and can mess with my and my future selves karma.

Spoke with jfposey and he did indeed want to change his ranking to:
#1. Alan

#2. Helena

#3. Michael

#4. Jay

#5. Kent

So that's:

1. (Justice Society) Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
2. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
3. (Justice Society) Mister Terrific (Michael Holt)
4. (Justice Society) Flash (Jay Garrick)
5. (Justice Society) Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)

Invisible Brainiac #909476 09/18/16 01:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Happy to see us engaging in discussion about the characters! We had a lot of that in JLA Idol, and I hope we have more of that here in JSA Idol too.

Happy to see you joining in, Jfposey! And thanks to whomever explained the rules. A nice mix of eras on your list; pleasantly surprised to see a vote for Anna Fortune. I did like her short time in JSA All-Stars.

So your new list would be:

1. (Justice Society) Flash (Jay Garrick)
4. (Justice Society) Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)

Do you want to change your ranking as well? #1 gets way more points than #5, for example.

1. (Justice Society) Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
2. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
3. (Justice Society) Mister Terrific (Michael Holt)
4. (Justice Society) Flash (Jay Garrick)
5. (Justice Society) Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)

Alan was an inspirational character for me as a child. My uncle, who was an artist, drew my first superhero character for me and that was Alan. I was thrilled. He was awesome. He had a sidekick who was not a teenage boy and to almost anything with his ring. Except wood. Hero has to have a weakness. He brings such great memories that he will be always #1.

Kent would not be so low on my list either if the question was for the Mystics. He would then be #1.

Jay should be #2 but Helena is my #1 female vote here. She's badass and knows it.

Jay is the epitome of a hero. But Michael's T spheres and his intelligence make him awesome and he like Terry had that tragic suicide depression due to great loss. There is a inner depth to his character that makes him seem to be able to command your attention. I loved Terry and the other Golden Age members. But Michael represents the future. An African-American character who can be a true hero for his community. Yes, he is incredibly rich but he cares for others with passion. He was an excellent choice to being the new Mr. Terrific and carrying on Terry's legacy.

Invisible Brainiac #909494 09/18/16 02:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Great reminiscence JFP!

And I agree re: Mr Terrific. He is easily the best of all of the post-Crisis legacy JSA characters in my opinion.

Invisible Brainiac #909495 09/18/16 02:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
And pre-Crisis Huntress was a truly special character too.

I know her post-Crisis counter-part is really popular in some circles but they are two totally different characters and in my opinion, the second has never come close to matching the spirit and tragedy of the original.

Blacula #909497 09/18/16 02:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Blacula
^ Great reminiscence JFP!

And I agree re: Mr Terrific. He is easily the best of all of the post-Crisis legacy JSA characters in my opinion.

He has his place of honor in my collection. Sorry about the grainy quality of the photo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jfposey; 09/18/16 02:33 AM.
Blacula #909506 09/18/16 02:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Blacula
And pre-Crisis Huntress was a truly special character too.

I know her post-Crisis counter-part is really popular in some circles but they are two totally different characters and in my opinion, the second has never come close to matching the spirit and tragedy of the original.

I agree. Their personalities are quite different too. I like both but would never consider them the same character.

Invisible Brainiac #909508 09/18/16 02:55 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I do recall a story where Terry went to pieces witnessing an Allied army attack on a German village during WWII. It humanized him a lot.

I don't think I've seen that. You do wonder what goes through the mind of someone whose supposedly good at anything, but who looks out at such a flawed world.

Great memories Jfp. Like the other Idols I've been part of, when it gets down to this level, any one of these would make for a fine winner.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #909516 09/18/16 03:39 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
It was in the Justice Society Returns mini series where they fought the Stalker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Justice_Society_Returns

Re: JSA++ Idol! (Pre-Game Discussions)
Invisible Brainiac #909540 09/18/16 04:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
ROUND 1 RESULTS!

1/3 of votes were needed to survive this round. With 9 voters, a character needed 3 votes to make it.

Only about 30% of our original list survived this round!

Nobody got 9 votes.

8 votes (89% of the vote

(All-Star Squadron) Firebrand (Danette Reilly)
(Infinity Inc.) Fury (Lyta Hall)

7 votes (78%)

(All-Star Squadron) Zatara
(Freedom Fighters) Uncle Sam
(Infinity Inc.) Jade
(Infinity Inc.) Wildcat (Yolanda Montez)
(Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
(Justice Society) Star-Spangled Kid/Skyman

6 votes (67%)

(All-Star Squadron) Dr. Occult
(All-Star Squadron) Guardian (Jim Harper)
(All-Star Squadron) Johnny Quick
(All-Star Squadron) Manhunter (Paul Kirk)
(All-Star Squadron) Robotman (Robert Crane)
(Freedom Fighters) Phantom Lady (Sandra Knight)
(Infinity Inc.) Brainwave, Jr.
(Justice Society) Air Wave III (Harold Jordan)
(Justice Society) Black Canary (Dinah Drake Sr.)
(Justice Society) Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)
(Justice Society) Doctor Mid-Nite (Charles McNider)
(Justice Society) Flash (Jay Garrick)
(Justice Society) Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
(Justice Society) Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders)
(Justice Society) Hourman (Rex Tyler)
(Justice Society) Johnny Thunder
(Justice Society) Power Girl
(Justice Society) Sand/Sandman (Sanderson Hawkins)
(Justice Society) Sandman (Wesley Dodds)
(Justice Society) Wildcat (Ted Grant)

Pretty interesting, that only half our top 10 were top vote-getters in the first round!

Invisible Brainiac #909593 09/18/16 08:39 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Those with the broadest bases don't always reach the highest peaks.

Invisible Brainiac #909597 09/18/16 08:53 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I really thought Danette Reilly was going to burn up the charts. She was on fire!

(I'm not sorry.)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #909599 09/18/16 08:57 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yeah, she unexpectedly crashed and burned.

thoth lad #909606 09/18/16 09:50 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Those with the broadest bases don't always reach the highest peaks.

Ooh, that's dirty.

Or not, but it's funner if it is.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #909642 09/18/16 12:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Wise Man thoth had shed light on the early eliminations of many top vote getters in Round 1.

Invisible Brainiac #909647 09/18/16 12:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thank you Ibby. Set, please report to the Shameless Hussy thread. Honestly, there hadn't even been time for a religion to be built on my wisdom, never mind the resultant obligatory sex scandal. smile

Invisible Brainiac #909670 09/18/16 02:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I bet Set is burning up at being called a Shameless Hussy tongue

Alas, thoth's profound quote will now forever be tainted.

Round ends later tonight. And I think you will all be surprised at my next round wink

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/18/16 02:11 PM.
thoth lad #909675 09/18/16 02:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
why Ystina and why over Justin

I loved just about everything about the re-imagined Seven Soldiers, but Ystina was especially cool because she had such a great arc: Hiding her gender to serve her kingdom, unrequited love for Gallahad, her despair at losing Camelot, and then overcoming that to rise again against the Sheeda Queen (and Gallahad). She also had the best premise to continue her story in modern times (sadly no one picked up that torch). I also really like the idea of Camelot as recurring archetype, so that she and Justin didn't conflict (would have loved to see a meeting between them). And Vanguard ("Horse Feathers") was cool to boot.

Invisible Brainiac #909683 09/18/16 03:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ditto. Ystina is (IMO) the best of the SSOV that Morrison conceived

Invisible Brainiac #909706 09/18/16 08:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I was also a huge fan of Morrison's SSoV series (with the exception of the disappointing final issue) but [small voice] Ystina was my least favourite member.

I didn't dislike her, and the gender twist was interesting, but I just couldn't reconcile how this new Shining Knight, with all of the same props and backstory as the original Shining Knight, could co-exist in the same universe as him.

Dave says they didn't conflict though so maybe I missed something? Even if they didn't though, I don't like it when new characters come along and just needlessly undermine and steal everything that was interesting and unique about another character [see also: my great dislike of Shikari].

If Bulleteer was still in this game I would totally be throwing points her way.

Invisible Brainiac #909710 09/18/16 11:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for the thoughts on Ystina, particularly as my post could be read as I thought Justin was somehow the much better character. I wasn't a huge fan of his, really.

Invisible Brainiac #909717 09/19/16 12:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Pulling overtime today. Will end the round a tad later than usual.

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,839
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
joe mondo
joe mondo
seattle
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star