Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 06/01/24 05:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:28 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:27 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:25 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/01/24 03:23 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: JSA++ Idol! (Round 10)
Invisible Brainiac #910234 09/22/16 02:50 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
1. (Justice Society) Red Tornado (Ma Hunkle)
2. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
3. (Justice Society) Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Invisible Brainiac #910244 09/22/16 03:24 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
With Ystina generally getting points from those still to come, this is a pretty close round.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #910299 09/22/16 07:08 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
1. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
2. (Justice Society) Green Lantern (Alan Scott)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #910305 09/22/16 07:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So, with three votes left, it looks like Ystina can't be saved, but if Emily, Myg and I collude, we could save Ma and send Huntress home. What an upset that would be. :Evil:

Invisible Brainiac #910309 09/22/16 08:19 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What had happened? I don't check LW for a minute and Dick goes home! Mr. T goes home! What's happening?
I'm going to need a cocktail before I vote...

Myg - Andy S #910323 09/22/16 11:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
So, with three votes left, it looks like Ystina can't be saved, but if Emily, Myg and I collude, we could save Ma and send Huntress home. What an upset that would be. :Evil:

Well, you three would definitely make Idol history with that move! tongue

Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
What had happened? I don't check LW for a minute and Dick goes home! Mr. T goes home! What's happening?

Have all the drinks you need, and welcome to the world of Idol smile I remember way, way back in Postboot Legion Idol when Lyle Norg went home in 6th place to everyone's surprise...

Invisible Brainiac #910335 09/22/16 11:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It is difficult for me to vote. I chose three characters, hoping at least one would make it here, but they all were eliminated.

1. (Justice Society) Red Tornado (Ma Hunkle)
2. (Justice Society) Dr.Fate (Kent Nelson)
3. (SSOV) Shining Knight (Ystina)

P.S, I have started working on the Spider-Villain Idol List. I plan to post the planning the week before Halloween (so fitting). The shortness of this game is probably going to move up the next one to November.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Myg - Andy S #910337 09/22/16 11:58 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S

Andy, vote Huntress! She was one of only 2 survivors from your last list! nod

Invisible Brainiac #910342 09/22/16 12:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I think we know who Lardy wants for the win wink

Wow! Emily's vote os a game changer! I guess Hal really eclipsed Alan for you?

Invisible Brainiac #910344 09/22/16 12:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I think we know who Lardy wants for the win wink

Well, I've ranked her number one consistently, even when I thought maybe I should do so for other characters to possibly save them. Win or lose, I definitely want her in the finals! nod

BTW, this isn't out of the blue. I've professed my love for Pre-Crisis Huntress in my "Pre-Crisis Justice Society" thread and in my review of her TPB "Huntress: Darknight Daughter" in, I believe, my Pile thread. Also, high marks for her involvement in the last pre-Crisis JSA series and her appearances in latter-day JLA/JSA cross-overs. LOVE Helena Wayne!!!

Invisible Brainiac #910346 09/22/16 01:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, sadly, Alan is kind of like the forgotten Lantern it seems. Even though he mentored Kyle Raynor, he doesn't seem to have the same general exposure that other Lanterns have (maybe he has been in some JSA centered TV shows? I remember him in BBTAB asking Guy how Hal was doing). Jay Garrick is only a little better than him in that regard, thanks to the game-changing "Flash of Two Worlds" and the new "Flash" TV show.

Hal Jordan is just kind of pop culture staple at this point. He was the one sung about in "Sunshine Superman" and he is in most of the cartoons and live action (I admit that movie was awful but there is hope). With the notable exception of John Stewart (who is my personal favorite GL), no other GLs have had the same level of publicity.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #910347 09/22/16 01:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Strategic Voting time:

1. Ma Hunkle
2. Dr. Fate
3. Shining Knight

So that saves Dr. Fate and sends either Huntress or Green Lantern (his two biggest competitors) home depending on Myg's vote.

Lard Lad #910348 09/22/16 01:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin

BTW, this isn't out of the blue. I've professed my love for Pre-Crisis Huntress in my "Pre-Crisis Justice Society" thread and in my review of her TPB "Huntress: Darknight Daughter" in, I believe, my Pile thread. Also, high marks for her involvement in the last pre-Crisis JSA series and her appearances in latter-day JLA/JSA cross-overs. LOVE Helena Wayne!!!

Here's my review of the Huntress TPB I mentioned, in case anyone who hasn't seen much of her might want to know what makes her one of the great legacy characters, imo.

Lard Lad #910350 09/22/16 02:12 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
It is difficult for me to vote. I chose three characters, hoping at least one would make it here, but they all were eliminated.

P.S, I have started working on the Spider-Villain Idol List. I plan to post the planning the week before Halloween (so fitting). The shortness of this game is probably going to move up the next one to November.

Do you mean your Top 3 from the start of the game, Emily? Sorry to hear that.

Happy to hear that Spider-Villain is in the works. I'm more of a DC fan than a Marvel one, and I prefer heroes to villains, but I do look forward to playing Spider-Villain Idol.

Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
Yes, sadly, Alan is kind of like the forgotten Lantern it seems. Even though he mentored Kyle Raynor, he doesn't seem to have the same general exposure that other Lanterns have (maybe he has been in some JSA centered TV shows? I remember him in BBTAB asking Guy how Hal was doing). Jay Garrick is only a little better than him in that regard, thanks to the game-changing "Flash of Two Worlds" and the new "Flash" TV show.

Hal Jordan is just kind of pop culture staple at this point. He was the one sung about in "Sunshine Superman" and he is in most of the cartoons and live action (I admit that movie was awful but there is hope). With the notable exception of John Stewart (who is my personal favorite GL), no other GLs have had the same level of publicity.

Yeah, I have to agree that Hal's prominence is unmatched by Alan.

I'm hard-pressed to choose a favorite myself, I like Hal but I also like John. John's role in the JLU toon helps edge him out. I appreciate Alan, Kyle and Guy too though and am happy they all have their place in the DCU.

Originally Posted by Dave Hackett

So that saves Dr. Fate and sends either Huntress or Green Lantern (his two biggest competitors) home depending on Myg's vote.

That's got me excited to check the numbers and see. Losing either Helena or Alan would be a very big game-changer at this point. Helena has always been at or near the top every round, and Alan has been gaining ground lately considering many other popular JSAers have been eliminated.

Here's my review of the Huntress TPB I mentioned, in case anyone who hasn't seen much of her might want to know what makes her one of the great legacy characters, imo.

Thanks Lardy, I'll check it out! I've always liked Helena, but I've never read solo stories with her and would like to learn more.

Invisible Brainiac #910353 09/22/16 02:29 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
1. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)

2. (7SoV) Shining Knight (Ystina)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #910359 09/22/16 03:11 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Wow! Surprise vote from Fanfie.

If I did my math right... Assuming Myg is the only other player who will vote this round, that will shake up Dave's plan to keep Dr. Fate safe for sure.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/22/16 03:12 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #910376 09/22/16 04:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Errr I really don't know how to vote... so I'm going with my usual pattern...

1. (SSoV) Shining Knight (Ystina)
2. (Justice Society) Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)

Invisible Brainiac #910378 09/22/16 04:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I didn't see the other votes before I put in mine. Maybe I should have to be more strategic. Sigh.
I have to admit, I LOVED Alan for a long time. As ugly as his costume was, he was SO cool to me in GL/GA. BUT in terms of JSA, Huntress and Dr. Fate are way ahead for me in terms of JSA importance (for me).
Ystina I love because of her gender-bending origin and the elegant strength with which she fought the Sheeda. In the JLA Dark, she wasn't as great but still potent IMO.

Last edited by Myg - Andy S; 09/22/16 04:44 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #910380 09/22/16 05:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
This is a nail-biter for sure!

It is becoming hard to decide. I know I'm going to have a tough time deciding in the final round.

Set #910515 09/23/16 10:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I am ending the round now - I have time before dinner. My posts will be short and sweet as I am doing this on my phone tongue

Originally Posted by Set

Man, Earth 2 Robin had a great run, for someone up against Jay Garrick and the Specter and so on!

At this point, it's super-easy for me, except the agony of trying to decide whether or not I want Kent Nelson or Helena Wayne to have my top vote! (I love them both!)

I expected Robin to do well, but maybe I thought he was more prominent than he really was because of JLA/JSA teamups.

If my math is right you will have a lot more agony next round Set... wink

Invisible Brainiac #910516 09/23/16 11:05 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Round 11 ends

After a nail-biter of a round...

We have another majority female Top Three (continuing the trend from most of the past Idols!)

Helena Wayne - 48
Ma Hunkel - 40
Kent Nelson - 38

And going home in 4th and 5th places...

Alan Scott - 31
Ystina - 18

Wow! What a round that was!!!

Invisible Brainiac #910517 09/23/16 11:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
FINAL ROUND!!!!

This is it folks. No more ranking. Just vote for one character to win.

Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)
Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)
Red Tornado (Ma Hunkel)

Invisible Brainiac #910518 09/23/16 11:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Congrats to our Top 3! Wow!

I expected Ma to go home last round, but some strategic voting by Dave and a surpise 1st place vote from Emily, along with consistent first place votes from me and Quis, kept her in.

As I have said before, Ma reminds me of my grandma. She played that role for the JSA in the 2000s too. I rememver that issue where she comes back from witness protection, all the JSAers came to her. Power Girl came in, filthy and costume torn, after a bad day of fighting villains and having to look for her cat. Ma takes one look, offers her a cup o tea and a sympathetic ear. and Kara said, "Ma you're a lifesaver".

I started reading JSA comics that were published around Zero Hour, so Alan and Jay, Ted and Al and Charles McNider were always the most prominent JSAers in my mind. But Dr. Fate and Huntress were mainstays in the JLA/JSA team ups and both have spawned great legacies

I am torn. I know Ma has no chance of winning - I think only 2 others besides me would possibly vote for her this round. That leaves 8 votes between Huntress and Doc Fate. Do I vote for Ma knowing she will not win? Or support one of the others so my vote will make a difference?

Hmmmmm....

Ah, sprock it. I will vote for...

Ma Hunkel. Just like Grandma.

Invisible Brainiac #910519 09/23/16 11:20 PM
I vote for:

Huntress (Helena Wayne of Earth-2)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #910525 09/24/16 01:18 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I thought that the early voting might see Alan through to the last three, but it certainly changed in another exciting round.

For a few of the early rounds, I was worried he'd not even get this far. So I've got that happy/sad feeling that Idols are so good at delivering.

I remember reading an old interview with Marty Nodell. It was a down to earth series of reflections about the work of a writer at the time. He reflected on the origin of the character and it was a practical approach. Articles covering the golden age creations were always a treat. I seem to recall that the costume was deliberately garish.

Personally, I liked that Alan Scott was always building to something better. He was a railroad engineer building links across the world. He was a broadcaster connecting people across the airwaves. And with the ring, he would go up against the chilling Solomon Grundy and Vandal Savage. As well, as lots or regular crooks. There was some top drawer creative talent on the book too in Kanigher, Toth and Broome.

It was an issue of All Star Squadron that elevated Lantern further. Roy Thomas was never shy about showing super hero carnage. We'd later get the Last Days of the JSA. But here, the heroes were prisoners of the Brainwave. In his mind, Alan releases the power of his ring and it's terrifying. Here's a guy trying to do the right thing where he can, with the power to turn the world into an emerald cinder. You could see that this weighed on him. The Golden Age Green Lantern has always seemed a responsible guy and you can imagine that he dreaded someone like Brainwave or anyone else taking control of the ring.

This was picked up by James Robinson in the Golden Age. It's Lantern's sense of responsibility that makes him leave the ring behind (for the most part) to focus on more down to earth responsibilities that he can control, without those sorts of repercussions. Even there, he's shown as building things for a brighter future.

Back in round three I had a little list of around 20 that I wanted to do well. Of those quite a few were for their place in the scheme of things; Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Robin & Dr Occult for example. The Red Bee was there as he represents the sheer number of ideas that were around at the time, and the grit it must have taken for him to go out and fight crime. But once he got points to stand out, it was his time to go.

Around a dozen were more personal favourites - Hourman, Flash, Green Lantern, Doctor Midnight, Plastic Man, and Sandman to name several. Doctor Fate and the Huntress are also on there. But they are coloured differently as they were already clearly popular enough that I could divide my points elsewhere. So, I'm pretty pleased that both are in the final three. They've been strong throughout and deserve their place.

But which will I vote for...thinks...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,837
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gorilla Nebula
Gorilla Nebula
san francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star