Roll Call
0 members (), 21 Murran Spies, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/09/24 11:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/09/24 09:36 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 08:00 AM
Moonmoons.
by thoth lad - 06/09/24 07:50 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:23 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/09/24 03:22 AM
Comic book Catfights
by RED-001 - 06/08/24 07:10 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes, by Brian Michael Bendis and Riley Rossmo
Nightcrawler #993408 10/16/20 04:38 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
DC's Endless Event shambles into town. DC's endgame, where every issue is part of an event. Never mind the quality. As long as it sounds not too desperate in the pitch meetings (with captive peer audiences). Just as long as we can continue the simple ruse of pretending that having a single idea pillar to wrap every story around is the best way to publish every title. Just raise your voice when making the pitch, so you don't get in the way of the removal guys shifting the furniture across the country, or the repo guys taking equipment back after the downsizing.

Calamitous leadership over decades? Certainly not! But that is probably the plot for the next event, just nanoseconds after the end of 5G Future State.

Find out the fates of your favourite Legionnaires! The ones you've liked best from the group shots in the couple of rooms where they've spent their first 9 issues! Find out the fate of Gold Lantern before you find out his origin (which you won't believe when it's finally told, honest)!

Join Ultra Cowl; Bouncing Mano; Ecto-iac 5; Saturn Fist; Emerald Sword (Silver Sword's kid); Shadowquinn; Kid Kid; Galaxy Girl and Bee Grrl! in the ruins of a salvaged storyline, intended for another project!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Re: Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes, by Brian Michael Bendis and Riley Rossmo
Nightcrawler #993411 10/16/20 06:30 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
LOL, thothy.

"We arbitrarily killed off some big-name Legionnaires, and we hope your attachment to them from previous versions will somehow carry over to this one! For shock value, we've killed them in rather horrible ways, which you won't believe - so we'll have one panel to show you!"

"Don't worry, we've kept Triplicate Girl and Bouncing Boy around so you can see how such light-hearted concepts have become grim and gritty! Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5 are there too, because! And guns, we must have guns, because despite this being set 1000 years in the future we just can't let go of the 90s!"

Invisible Brainiac #993412 10/16/20 06:42 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
"We arbitrarily killed off some big-name Legionnaires, and we hope your attachment to them from previous versions will somehow carry over to this one!

I dropped a line from the above which would have read "The ones you've liked best from the group shots in the couple of rooms where they've spent their first 9 issues! Not your favourites from previous volumes, because DC have gone out of their way to tell us that this is the Legion's first appearance in this universe."

But with 9 issues of not much happening (and some little snippets) it's really the old readers memories of older versions that they're having to depend upon. I don't see many people going "Gosh! I don't see Entropy Lad in the future of the future! I'm so attached to that character." That could apply to most of the cast.

Memories of previous versions alsolooks likely to give the emotional punch to the ones that don't survive Bendis' GDS reprise. I did wonder if this Event is going to get in the way of that Bendis story. Event publishing doesn't care for what's going on in the actual book. Just what it needs is the opening GDS-2 chapter interrupted by 2 months of fluff to burn off the 5G inventory.

"... And guns, we must have guns, because despite this being set 1000 years in the future we just can't let go of the 90s!"

In the future, and the future's future, the UP's enemy is the national rifle association. Brande flip flops all the time, because she's alternately fighting/pandering to lobby groups.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #993415 10/16/20 07:24 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Via Instagram, Bendis provided an alternate logo for the first issue -

Hey! NEW #legionofsuperheroes mini from myself and the insanely inventive and talented @rileyrossmo (Martian manhunter) and @ivanplascenciam #dcfuturestate @thedcnation @dccomics #comics details coming but I think you?re going to be really surprised what this is . The most future of future state!

Not final logo, by the way

[Linked Image]

Nightcrawler #993416 10/16/20 07:44 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'm not the writer or editor, but the Legion is pretty unique and can approach these types of events from a different angle rather than follow along with the same pattern as the modern day books.

If it were me, I'd have the Legion tie-in issues involve the current Legion discovering some time anomaly or whatever plot device works in this situation (not knowing the exact details yet makes it difficult to come up with a good plot point)...tied to Jon Kent as Superman. Brainiac 5 or Ultra Boy or Computo or whomever, decides to send a team to investigate and they time-travel to this Future State future to have an adventure with an older Jonathan Kent. This would be reminiscent of the Silver Age stories where the teenage Legion would visit and help out the adult Superman.

This would be the perfect opportunity to showcase a few of the underused Legionnaires such as Matter-Eater Lad, Shrinking Violet, Sun Boy, Star Boy, X-Ray Girl, Entropy Kid, or Radius Lad and provide some much needed character development on the existing Legion team rather than waste precious pages on a throwaway Legion that no one will care about after this mini/event is over.

thoth lad #993419 10/16/20 11:12 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That would have been a great idea. allows the reader (and the characters) to still worry a bit about "oh no, is this future preventable?!?!" while still keeping it from being THE future of this team.

Originally Posted by thoth lad
"We arbitrarily killed off some big-name Legionnaires, and we hope your attachment to them from previous versions will somehow carry over to this one!

Memories of previous versions alsolooks likely to give the emotional punch to the ones that don't survive Bendis' GDS reprise. I did wonder if this Event is going to get in the way of that Bendis story. Event publishing doesn't care for what's going on in the actual book. Just what it needs is the opening GDS-2 chapter interrupted by 2 months of fluff to burn off the 5G inventory.

Also plot twist, the future is decimated by the Pain Plague, in another one of Bendis' attempts to refer to previous incarnations without really referring to them, so we can have more of an emotional gut-punch when things happen!

Nightcrawler #993429 10/16/20 05:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Legion 5000? So this is going to take place in the 51st Century? Definitely not "our" Legion then or any Legion we have seen. The closest in some respects is possibly Wildfire's Legion from the "Tales of the Lost Earth" story in LoSH V4 Annual #7. The team (teams) he led were nothing like what is depicted here but the concept of a "Legion" team in the far future based on the myths from the "ancient" 31st Century. In that case I don't mind too much, especially since it probably won't have much impact on the current storyline (whatever that is). In addition it may not involve any of our current characters.

But hang on, the solicit suggests that it does involve the current Legionnaires. Oh who knows. For that matter in some ways who cares? If it's bad we can just write it off as a bad crossover that never really happened anyway and forget about it. If it's good then we can rave about how this is so much better than the current story. Uh oh my cynicism meter is beeping. Better stop while I am ahead (or behind?).

Nightcrawler #993431 10/16/20 05:44 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
"Legends of the Dead Earth" gave us Membrain, which in turn gave us FEMBrain, so maybe this story will also bear unexpected fruit!

Eryk Davis Ester #993447 10/17/20 01:01 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
"Legends of the Dead Earth" gave us Membrain, which in turn gave us FEMBrain, so maybe this story will also bear unexpected fruit!

Speaking of unexpected fruit, we've got some 'Suddenly... Ethnicity!' examples in this new BendisBoot with the Lightning Twins, Rokk, etc. but I wonder if there's going to be any 'Suddenly... Sexuality?' It would have been a hoot, for instance, if Jon made goo-goo eyes at Imra only for her to laugh and say, 'Sorry champ, I'm dating Luornu.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Nightcrawler #993449 10/17/20 02:11 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Imra and Ayla would have been a nice twist!

Eryk Davis Ester #993450 10/17/20 02:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Imra and Ayla would have been a nice twist!

Ooh, good point. Perhaps even with a fun geeky shout out. "Oh, people kept assuming that Garth and I were a couple, because we were such good friends, and then he was out for a while (long story!), and his twin sister Ayla thought it would be cheeky to cover for him and pretend to be him, and I, of course, noticed immediately, but helped her keep up the masquerade, and, playing off the rumor that 'Garth' and I were dating, I gave Ayla-disguised-as-Garth a kiss on the cheek. Then things got real, and Garth is back, but I'm still dating Ayla!"

Fun fact. Blok still thinks Imra is dating Garth, because he can't tell male and female organic sentients apart, and thinks Ayla and Garth are the same person, or possibly some sort of Carggite shapechanger?

Last edited by Set; 10/17/20 02:32 PM.

Nightcrawler #993459 10/18/20 08:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Considering Blok's outburst at President Brande, that would have been funny if he suddenly blows up and goes "why didn't anybody tell me?!"

Also: Blok not talking much in earlier scenes vs. his outburst. Planned? To show how deep the betrayal was? It might have been - but it was lost on me earlier and only thought of it now, considering how crowded most scenes are.

Set #993462 10/18/20 10:31 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Set

Speaking of unexpected fruit, we've got some 'Suddenly... Ethnicity!' examples in this new BendisBoot with the Lightning Twins, Rokk, etc. but I wonder if there's going to be any 'Suddenly... Sexuality?' It would have been a hoot, for instance, if Jon made goo-goo eyes at Imra only for her to laugh and say, 'Sorry champ, I'm dating Luornu.'

And then there's the major hint of gender non-conformity for the Bendisboot Dream Girl, one of the few things about this run that has genuinely piqued my interest, but I won't be surprised if it's never addressed again by the time Bendis is gone.

DreamGirl4

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #993466 10/18/20 05:16 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Originally Posted by Set

And then there's the major hint of gender non-conformity for the Bendisboot Dream Girl, one of the few things about this run that has genuinely piqued my interest, but I won't be surprised if it's never addressed again by the time Bendis is gone.

DreamGirl4

Maybe Bendis was inspired by the transgender version of Dream Girl who has appeared on Supergirl.

Watching television is not an activity.
Nightcrawler #993475 10/18/20 08:35 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I really liked the suggestion that someone on here came up with of a Dreamer who appeared only in dreams, but would appear male or female based on the preferences of the person she is appearing to.

Nightcrawler #993476 10/19/20 01:45 AM
Active
Active
Dream Girl is a character that from her beginnings exudes sensuality and efficiency in her work as a legionnaire, this horrible version of Bendis, who does not matter if she is a man, a woman or a trans person and we do not know if her physical consistency is light, sand or shit? How can she make love if she or it apparently have no sexual organs ... because she are naked or are she ethereal? Whichever way Nura look ... it's one of the worst ideas of Bendis'. One more beautiful character who has ruined with his supposed brilliance as a comic book writer.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10/21/20 10:49 PM. Reason: Edited out insult

From UK with glamour.
Nightcrawler #993483 10/19/20 08:08 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Gah, Dream Girl made of sand. Now I have Anakin Skywalker's whiny voice in my head. "I hate sand. It gets everywhere." Yeah buddy, try having a girlfriend made out of sand. That's gonna chafe...

Set #993486 10/19/20 09:25 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Set
Gah, Dream Girl made of sand. Now I have Anakin Skywalker's whiny voice in my head. "I hate sand. It gets everywhere." Yeah buddy, try having a girlfriend made out of sand. That's gonna chafe...

Once she learns to control her form better, she'll be like Dust from the early 2000s X-Men. Not a bad thing.

Nightcrawler #993487 10/19/20 09:28 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
This may be the first version of Dream Girl that is attracted to The Mess!

Eryk Davis Ester #993489 10/19/20 09:32 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
This may be the first version of Dream Girl that is attracted to The Mess!

How offal. wink grin

Nightcrawler #993500 10/19/20 12:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Offal? That gives me an appetite, and you...
Tenzil and The Mess would be great together.

thoth lad #993510 10/19/20 02:09 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Offal? That gives me an appetite, and you...
Tenzil and The Mess would be great together.

LOL lol

Nightcrawler #993512 10/19/20 03:01 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The Mess and Calorie Queen would be good too. He attracts junk that she can eat and gain super strength from.

Set #993515 10/19/20 03:44 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Set

Pigpen's fantasy.

Dream Girl might've been quizzical at the "girl" moniker since she's magic or like 30 years old or something .

thoth lad #993517 10/19/20 05:04 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
The Mess and Calorie Queen would be good too. He attracts junk that she can eat and gain super strength from.

Yeah, but I think Taryn's more of a gourmet than Tenzil. wink grin

CalorieQueen

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,009
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886