Legion World
So! With Mr. Portela moving on to Animal Man and LOSH #21 being his farewell cover, has there been any talk of who will fill the Legion's art needs "permanently"? Or do you feel like DC will just play round robin with the book until its almost inevitable cancellation/downsizing/whateverthehelltheydotoit in September? Who would YOU like to see draw the Legion? Reality need not play a part in your decision obviously, but someone alive might be preferable. XD

Personally? I'd give my arm (no, not really) to see Chris Sprouse draw the Legion again. I'd also love to see Olivier Coipel again. He's REALLY polished his style since his days on LOSH.

So? Thoughts?
Bye bye already? But he's only been Pope for a day tongue

Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
Personally? I'd give my arm (no, not really) to see Chris Sprouse draw the Legion again. I'd also love to see Olivier Coipel again. He's REALLY polished his style since his days on LOSH.

Sprouse did a Young Morrison's Adult Legion backup in Action Comics recently. Coipel's Marvel-exclusive, expensive and drawing the new all-female-cast X-Men book that's launching soonish.
Originally Posted by Reboot
Bye bye already? But he's only been Pope for a day tongue

Sprouse did a Young Morrison's Adult Legion backup in Action Comics recently. Coipel's Marvel-exclusive, expensive and drawing the new all-female-cast X-Men book that's launching soonish.

*DIES* Amazing, I know.

Yeah, I'd seen Sprouse's work a few weeks ago which kind of inspired me to wish he'd draw them all the time. XD

Shame about Coipel, but a girl can dream. *heeeee*
As far as "people who've done it recently who might conceivably do it again", I'd be pretty happy with Batista.
I actually really liked Batista's work! I was going to suggest him.

He drew the best Superboy!
Darwyn Cooke.

Writer. Artist. Picks own colorist & letterer. No editor.
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
No editor.

WHUTCHOO SMOKIN'?
I'd want all of his interiors treated like his covers of the Legion were. watercolor goodness.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He can draw our developing LSHTNG story line!
Darwyn Cooke.

checkmutherfrakinmate!

Darwyn Cooke.

Jeepers! And here I was trying to be realistic!

It's well known that I believe that Cooke in total control of the Legion would be one of the best things in the history of stuff.*

*Ditto Cooke in complete control of almost anything.
wink
Originally Posted by Power Boy
I'd want all of his interiors treated like his covers of the Legion were. watercolor goodness.

MMMMM. I could DIG a whole comic that looked like watercolors. I've actually thought about buying duplicates of that particular run before, take off the covers, put them together, and hang them like a poster or something. You know, DIY crap that I try that never works? Yeah, that.
Darwyn Cooke.

Hey, if you are gonna throw down ... Fiona Staples.

She can create some aliens like no other. and her coloring is crazy good.

the coloring on Maguire's Worlds Finest is really good too. Rosemary Cheetham ...

Hey, if you are gonna throw down ... Fiona Staples.

She can create some aliens like no other. and her coloring is crazy good.

I like her where she is, thank yew very much! tongue
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Darwyn Cooke.

Jeepers! And here I was trying to be realistic!

It's well known that I believe that Cooke in total control of the Legion would be one of the best things in the history of stuff.*

*Ditto Cooke in complete control of almost anything.

I think we SHOULD raise the expectations! Why dosn't the Legion deserve the best creators in history! Not just good, or good enough, or the best sales people at marvel or dc but ... people who are cutting the fraking edge !!!!!!!!

I still think the Atomic Robo team could be pretty kickass awesome on the Legion.
Nate Bellegarde

Ken Garing

Jamie McKelvie

Steve Epting

Javier Pulido

Marcos Martin

Nick Dragotta

...and yeah, count me in any day for Staples or Sprouse.

All of these artists are spectacular? Their style doesn't fit the Legion? Enough of that horseshit. Time for the next era of the Legion to fit the creators strengths. Forget the lineup, continuity, etc. Give me the best story the creators have ever done so far.
I still think the Atomic Robo team could be pretty kickass awesome on the Legion.
Definitely.

Every one of them, and at the very least writer Brian Clevenger.
And oooooh, Becky Cloonan!!!!
And oooooh, Becky Cloonan!!!!

I was just trying to remember her name! She was featured on something on the Comixology site the other day, and I remember thinking "Man, she'd probably be cool on the Legion!"
Hm.

Jonathan Hickman scripting. Ross Campbell on art.

Hickman, reportedly, is writing the best LSH book on the stands under the pseudonym of 'Avengers'. Campbell has shown some terrific sci-fi chops on "Glory" and brings a style unlike anything the Legion has seen before.

On a realistic/feasible/back-it-up level, I think that's the best idea we've seen so far.

It'll never happen.
We're pretty much in a new Golden Age (or, perhaps more appropriately, a new Atomic Age) of sci fi comics. Surely if DC were sensible it could snatch up some of that talent to use for the Legion.

All of these artists are spectacular? Their style doesn't fit the Legion? Enough of that horseshit.

Now that sounds just about right!

Any one of their styles could become the NEW Legion! If DC really wants to take the book in a new direction, than I say go with a total left-fielder.

What's the worst that could happen? The book get cancelled?
We're pretty much in a new Golden Age (or, perhaps more appropriately, a new Atomic Age) of sci fi comics. Surely if DC were sensible it could snatch up some of that talent to use for the Legion.

There are so many amazing books out there now! It is really incredible. Image and Dark Horse and others are elevating the medium.

while DC and Marvel make expensive bird cage liners.
Yeah, this is the best age of sci-fi comics since like 1964. Image, Dark Horse and others are delivering triumph after triumph in all facets of sci-fi.

So many of these guys could bring the greatness to the Legion.
I actually kind ot think the best thing to happen to the industry might be for mainstream super-hero comics to just implode, ala the end of WW2, and other genres/companies to step into the void. Then, in another ten years or so we can have a really cool super-hero revival like the Silver Age!
I actually kind ot think the best thing to happen to the industry might be for mainstream super-hero comics to just implode, ala the end of WW2, and other genres/companies to step into the void. Then, in another ten years or so we can have a really cool super-hero revival like the Silver Age!

At its best, shouldn't the Legion be the perfect bridge between the two? If I were to write it, that's what I'D do.
Yeah, they could retool the Legion to fit in with the now popular stuff, kind of like how Green Lantern and Johnny Quick became largely humor features after super-hero comics fell out of favor!
Bring back Jimenez! While a monthly seems out of his grasp, maybe have him alternate with Gene Ha. Imagine the craziness of Ha's Top Ten art brought to the Legion.
If Portela is off Legion too, then you know Legion has been cancelled. I hope Levitz is able to wrap up his current storyline before the final issue.
Is Animal Man that much more popular than the Legion? Mr. Portela may be leaving just because DC likes to move artists who become popular off the Legion to other pastures. That's just tradition.

In contrast, Charlie Adlard (and of course writer Robert Kirkman) have completed 108 consecutive monthly issues of The Walking Dead for Image Comics and they are still going strong.

My choices for next full-time Legion artist: Jan Duursema, Chris Batista, Sketch Lad (not necessarily in any order)
The owner at my local Comic Book Store tells me there is a major DC event called Multiverse on the way, and that the Legion has a prominent role in it. What's the poop on this and when is it supposed to happen? Before September?
Multiversity is Morrison's sequel to Final Crisis. And has been in the works for at least that long (he finished writing it yoinks ago).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Uh... Batista had nothing to do with those covers - the only The Legion cover he did was #33. Those covers were by Tom Feister and Tony Harris.

(And they're really not watercolour. They even did a walkthrough of the #19 - B5 - cover on their site to prove it...)
The guys I really want - more stylized - and the guys I think would make the Legion popular are different I think.

Right now, at DC, I think the best possible fit is Kenneth Rocaforte. He's stylized, kinetic, youthful characters, good storyteller, impeccable design sense and space vista creation.

I'd love to see a number of others, too, but I think he gives a sort of sense of a futuristic look with his artwork.

Also, for whoever was asking for water color; Check out Christian Ward's Infinite Vacation artwork.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I actually did that with the first nine Keith Giffen covers of the the 5-Year Gap era run when I was in a sort of pre-law program in Saskatoon. Heh. I was the only person in the province of Saskatchewan with those covers up on his dorm wall [/i]and[i] a Toronto Transit Commission route map on his door. smile

Anyway, needless to say, I hope that the LSH survives and thrives in the days to come.

Oh, yeah, and I agree that Batista would be a great choice for new LSH artist. Or Mike McKone--he's great, too.
Originally Posted by Mediocre Boy
Or Mike McKone--he's great, too.

He was actually announced as the alternate artist for The Legion (i.e., doing every other arc or so to let Coipel get ahead), but then he was offered Exiles at Marvel and split, so the only Legion story he did in the end was the Legion Worlds #6 backup.
Originally Posted by Reboot
Multiversity is Morrison's sequel to Final Crisis. And has been in the works for at least that long (he finished writing it yoinks ago).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Uh... Batista had nothing to do with those covers - the only The Legion cover he did was #33. Those covers were by Tom Feister and Tony Harris.

(And they're really not watercolour. They even did a walkthrough of the #19 - B5 - cover on their site to prove it...)

Thanks for that. I wondered why they were so much better. wink

I didn't mean to say they were actually watercolor.
Apparently the new artist is somebody called Jeff Johnson.

But I have no idea who that is.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/swipe-file-the-enchantress-sheralyn-fenn-and-playboy/
WOW... there's a name I'd long forgotten. I really enjoyed his WONDER MAN *way* back in the day.

A shame about DC ignoring Chris Batista, who both loves the LSH and is wide open to a steady gig. I love that guy, he's a total hoot on the Facialbook.
Originally Posted by MLLASH
WOW... there's a name I'd long forgotten. I really enjoyed his WONDER MAN *way* back in the day.

A shame about DC ignoring Chris Batista, who both loves the LSH and is wide open to a steady gig. I love that guy, he's a total hoot on the Facialbook.

He really is adorable. And very approachable. Nice guy. Real nice guy.
A shame about DC ignoring Chris Batista, who both loves the LSH and is wide open to a steady gig.

[Linked Image from somebodydptest.files.wordpress.com] Doesn't that rather assume LSH *is* a steady gig these days?
Rebootsy Collins (your new nickname copyright MLLASH Inc), I didn't want to go there because I know I've totally been Miss Theresa Tits-Up about the LSH (and DC in general) lately, but... yeah.

LSH is over before the end of the year and it may be over for a long while, and we all need to get ready for that.

He really is adorable. And very approachable. Nice guy. Real nice guy.

Also nice: Conjure Lass Koko
When the sun sets and things grow dark, 'tis time to focus on LMB story-telling!
© Legion World