Legion World
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN New York Comic-con, - 11/30/08 06:01 PM
Looks like NYCC Febuary 6th-8th, 2009 has got a pretty darn good guest list this year. from Geoff Johns to George Perez,Jim Lee, Jim Shooter are listed. and i'm excited since it looks like Jackson Publick & Doc Hammer of the Venture Bros. are gonna be there too.
so i already brought my weekend pass. any of you LW'ers gonna attend? mind you it's Febuary and so far it looks like winter has finally returned to the metro NY area with after the past few years of having a mild winter this month so far has shown that maybe old man winter has remembered that this is New York and he's gonna make up for lost time. so Febuary "could" be quite harsh. but the good thing is that since they moved NYCC back to Febuary it is *i think* the first major Con in the US of the year. which is the way it should be since i think the first comic book convention ever was held here, so NY needs it's bragging rights again.
anywho how's coming? any takers this could be a improtu Legion World gathering. any takers?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 11/30/08 06:46 PM
Tempting. Getting from Boston to New York is no problem. (I won't even need a sleeper car) Getting a cheap place to stay is the only obstacle.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/01/08 11:00 PM
I could be tempted to make a day-trip of it (unless someone offers cheap floor-space. then I'd overnight).
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/04/08 11:41 PM
Al Plastino is scheduled to be there - Saturday only.

Also of Legion note (besides those L-John mentioned):

Colleen Doran
Andy Lanning
Dan Abnett
Jim Starlin
Joe Staton

quite an impressive list of guests.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/08/08 06:46 PM
I'm going to try to make this I think. My goal is to take the train in from work directly on Friday (possibly even plan it so I'm in Manhattan already for work in the afternoon and can just go over), and then check the con out and hang out, but probably take the train back home that night.

Then I'd hopefully come up during the day on Saturday and stick around the con for most of the morning and afternoon, and if anyone is going to be around, I could meet up for drinks / something to eat / whatever, before leaving for the evening.

The NYC Con is usually jam-packed with people you'd want to meet, including celebrity comic book fans such as Stephen Colbert, mainly because they live and work in NYC already (and what artist wouldn't want to go to NYC for some touristy stuff to tie into their appearnace at the con?).

Al Plastino--now *that's* awesome!

I have to warn though, I hear the sheer amount of people is craziness, so don't expect to get too close to Geoff Johns or Jim Lee. This would be a good time to scout out the list of attendees and find some creators whose stuff you admire that maybe aren't 'hot' right now (though perhaps they should be) and you can probably get some great one on one time with them.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/08/08 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I have to warn though, I hear the sheer amount of people is craziness, so don't expect to get too close to Geoff Johns or Jim Lee. This would be a good time to scout out the list of attendees and find some creators whose stuff you admire that maybe aren't 'hot' right now (though perhaps they should be) and you can probably get some great one on one time with them.
If Caliente was there, you know she'd get close to whomever she wanted. wink
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/08/08 07:30 PM

i know that's gonna be a pain but as long as i get to see George Perez i'll be happy.
hope to see you there Cobalt.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/08/08 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
[b] I have to warn though, I hear the sheer amount of people is craziness, so don't expect to get too close to Geoff Johns or Jim Lee. This would be a good time to scout out the list of attendees and find some creators whose stuff you admire that maybe aren't 'hot' right now (though perhaps they should be) and you can probably get some great one on one time with them.
If Caliente was there, you know she'd get close to whomever she wanted. wink [/b]
yeh she's got that special touch!! smile
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/10/08 12:51 AM
I'm in! Definitely for Saturday ...

<splash>
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/10/08 08:37 PM
all right!

we're up to five people.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/11/08 04:30 AM
OK... make it a half dozen then.

I think I'll day-trip this for the Saturday... and if post-con drinks are involved... count me in!
Posted By: Glen Cadigan Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/13/08 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Al Plastino is scheduled to be there - Saturday only.
I feel compelled to add something to this --

Al Plastino is 88 years old, and this is his first official con appearance since... forever. Not only did he draw the Legion when Lightning Lad was Lightning Boy and Saturn Girl's costume was green, but he also drew Supergirl's first appearance, too.

You aren't ever going to get the chance to meet Otto Binder or Mort Weisinger, but you can meet Al for one day only, and I think that if you live in New York (or thereabouts), you need to realize that this might be your only chance to get your copy of Adventure Comics # 247 (reprint or otherwise) signed by someone that actually worked on the issue. How many copies of ADV 247 has Al signed? Not too many, I bet.

Some day, years from now, Legion fans will say, "Gee, I wish I had made the effort to meet one of the Legion's creators while I had the chance. Now it's gone." But wait! It's not gone! You can still do it, and you don't even need a time bubble!

Until then, here's a link to a podcast that Al did last year: http://www.comiczoneradio.com/interviews/al_plastino/ .

Al's a great guy!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/13/08 06:29 AM
Al Plastino is what helped tip me over into going. I'm doing to scour through my father's collection to find the oldest story of his we own. Likely some early 1950's Superman or Action issue (alas, we don't own Adv. #247 yet). That will make the con for me. Hopefully I can find where he is easy enough...
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/13/08 02:35 PM
bought a weekend pass this morning ... despite living in the shadow of NYC since I was a guppy, I've never been to NYCC ... looking forward to seeing George Perez ... and some fellow LMBers ...

<splash>
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/13/08 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Exnihil:
OK... make it a half dozen then.

I think I'll day-trip this for the Saturday... and if post-con drinks are involved... count me in!
I'm not promising anything yet, but... if my schedule works out...

And post-con drinks are always involved!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/13/08 11:43 PM
Well, i doubt i'll make it to new york this year, but i might take a day and make the charlotte con. That would be my first con ever. Might bring the boy with me to see the sights.

Would like to meet Al Plastino, though.
Posted By: Arm Fall Off Boy Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/15/08 06:25 AM
My son and I went to the Heroes Convention in Charlotte in June and plan to hit it again in 2009 at least for Saturday. That's about as far as I'll probably ever get. Last year, got Adam Hughes and Joe Staton's autographs. Wasn't into Threeboot at the time or I would have gotten Barry Kitson's too. Hope to see you there!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/16/08 07:43 PM
Outdoor Miner usually goes to Heroes. He keeps talking about retiring from the Con circuit, though.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/17/08 01:53 AM
haven't been to a Heroes con since 86' when i use to live down there.
Posted By: Robo Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/17/08 05:59 AM
Oh yeah...If the finances are where I need them to be in order for this to happen, then I will happily attend.

Wonder if there will be a guy there offering to get shot in the pills for a buck like at the San Diego con in '06
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/17/08 06:16 PM
You were in San D in 06, Robo? Too bad you didn't know us then. there were about a dozen of us.

If you happen to be in NW Vermont, PM me if you are interested in a passenger to share gas. I'll be on bus or train otherwise.
Posted By: Robo Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/20/08 02:54 AM
I live in Brattleboro...which is Southeastern Vermont. If you happen to be going down I91, I could meet you.

Thanks for the offer.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/20/08 10:02 PM
Huh! My best friend grew up in Brattleboro... small world.

Do you still have all those naked teenagers walking about? Well... hopefully not in December!
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/21/08 03:07 AM
sounds like we got ourselves the start of a decient get together here.
Posted By: Robo Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/21/08 05:58 AM
Id rather they were...Hypothermia is such a great method of crowd control....Just kidding.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/21/08 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Robo:
I live in Brattleboro...which is Southeastern Vermont. If you happen to be going down I91, I could meet you.

Thanks for the offer.
nope. I'm actually across the lake, and I'll be going down I-87 by bus. too bad. I'll see you there in any case.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/21/08 06:46 PM
Huh! My best friend grew up in Brattleboro... small world.

Do you still have all those naked teenagers walking about? Well... hopefully not in December!
Would it really be Brattleboro without them? wink

Used to pass through there all the time when my sister lived in NH.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/22/08 02:57 PM
... frown

I may have to bow out. I just checked bus tix prices, almost 2ce what I expected. As much as I'd love to go, it's a lot of dough for an extended day trip (I'd be riding the bus overnights there and back. More than half my San D airfare - and I don't have thr budget now that I did over the summer).

ADDED: Actually, flights are only a few bucks more... hmmm...
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/26/08 02:45 AM
I'm gonna check to see the lowest rate I can get at the hotel where I work for anyone who's interested.( It's walking distance from the Javitz center. )
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 12/26/08 03:03 AM
Definitely let me know.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/06/09 10:10 PM
Just bought my ticket (Is it odd that I'm most excited to meet Jim Shooter?) I'm just going up for Saturday, but might crash in the city that night. Let me know of any hotel deals you found out about, Rhino. Thanks.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 07:33 PM
... frown

I may have to bow out. I just checked bus tix prices, almost 2ce what I expected. As much as I'd love to go, it's a lot of dough for an extended day trip (I'd be riding the bus overnights there and back. More than half my San D airfare - and I don't have thr budget now that I did over the summer).

ADDED: Actually, flights are only a few bucks more... hmmm...
Hopefully you can make it Sean!

I'm actually trying to get my Dad to come with me on one of the days now. He hasn't been to a comic con since the early-mid 80's.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 07:53 PM
I should have $ by then... but I may also have to go to the City the weekend before.

Other than using the airports, I haven't spent any time in the City in years (probably not since my first meeting with Darden and Jen, in '05) - so right now it seems like a bit much to do two weekends in a row, both in cost and losing two weekends of work-time.

I may also rent a car (if I go). If so, I might be able to find a friend to stay overnight with in the Poughkeepsie area.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 08:36 PM
glad to hear you can make it Sean. it looks like if i'm correct the list for who's going is:
1)Cobalt Kid
2)Exnihil
3)Quislet .Esq
4)Shark Lad
5)l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
6)Ravenette
7)Robo
8)Kent Shakespeare
and i guess Abin is still on the fence?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 08:43 PM
I'm still tentative.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 08:58 PM
Originally posted by l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN:
glad to hear you can make it Sean. it looks like if i'm correct the list for who's going is:
1)Cobalt Kid
2)Exnihil
3)Quislet .Esq
4)Shark Lad
5)l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
6)Ravenette
7)Robo
8)Kent Shakespeare
Offer Abin ice cream and a kiss before bed time, he'll fold...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 10:10 PM
I'm still a bit tenative, but leaning towards going.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/07/09 10:24 PM
Ok guys still hope you can make it.
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/08/09 02:29 AM
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
[b]glad to hear you can make it Sean. it looks like if i'm correct the list for who's going is:
1)Cobalt Kid
2)Exnihil
3)Quislet .Esq
4)Shark Lad
5)l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
6)Ravenette
7)Robo
8)Kent Shakespeare
Offer Abin ice cream and a kiss before bed time, he'll fold... [/b]
Sadly it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it...

But if Ceej was gonna be there...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/11/09 10:41 PM
well, I got con tickets and booked a hotel room. Looks like I am going.
Posted By: Pov Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/11/09 11:27 PM
That's just what you want the feds to think. Nice paper trail to throw them off your real course... hmmm
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/14/09 07:33 PM
So, for those going. Should we exchange cell phone numbers? Designate a meeting area? Make plans for dinner?

I'll be there all three days (although leaving early on Sunday)
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/15/09 03:20 PM
So er, anyone buy their ticket yet? I haven't really bothered to check any of that stuff yet, but probably should. I know, I know, I'm the worst at this laugh
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/15/09 03:59 PM
So er, anyone buy their ticket yet? I haven't really bothered to check any of that stuff yet, but probably should. I know, I know, I'm the worst at this laugh
I bought my ticket, Exnihil said he bought his ticket.

It takes all of 5 minutes to do on-line Cobie.
Posted By: Arm Fall Off Boy Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/17/09 02:39 AM
Off the subject sort of--Can anyone recommend a decent, safe, somewhat affordable hotel near Manhattan? Unfortunately, we would be going in June. Just wondering.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/19/09 06:23 PM
I think I might go, but I have a question.

Can artists and writers autograph fanart?
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/19/09 09:26 PM
I imagine it all depends on the writer or artist. Most of the professionals I've met at cons have been very accommodating, although I've never really asked them to autograph anything other than their own work. Give it a shot.

For those going, here's a high level list of some of the Legion-y types that will be there:

Al Plastino
Geoff Johns
George Perez
Jim Shooter

As well as:

Andy Lanning
Chris Batista
Colleen Doran
Dan Abnett
Greg Larocque
J. Torres
Jim Starlin
Joe Staton
Karl Story
Mark Waid
Olivier Coipel
and Sanford Greene.

Pretty nifty.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/19/09 09:41 PM
If the artist gives me permission, I wanna see if I could get Geoff Johns to autograph that contest prize, of the Toon Legion meeting Comic Legion.

And, Nei Ruffino and Joe Prado are gonna be there. I love her coloring work in Green Lantern and Grimm Fairy Tales, and I like the way Prado draws Batman and LL.
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/19/09 09:58 PM
it kills me that except for the Hero Initiative Charity Art Auction, there is no other listing of when and where Geroge Perez will be at. he'll probably be signing at the DC booth but i'd like to know when and where so i can get a good spot on line because i know there will be a huge line wherever he's at.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/20/09 12:53 AM
Here's a cheap but safe hotel a couple of blocks from the Javits center.
It's directly across the street from the apt.building I lived in for a few years and it's walking distance from Times Square.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/20/09 05:55 PM
link doesn't work, Rhino.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/23/09 12:02 AM
Sorry. If anybody's still looking, I found good rates at cheaprooms.com .
Posted By: kidflash2fan Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/24/09 11:42 PM
going to be there hanging out with Dennis Calreo stop by and say hi!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/27/09 04:41 PM
the odds of my going have dropped to virtually nil. frown
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/28/09 04:07 AM
Booooooo, Shakespeare! frown

Just wanted to throw an idea out there for anyone going on Saturday...

Quislet, Esq. and I are going to dinner that night after the con, and, hey... the more, the merrier! If anyone is interested in food, drink, and plenty of Legion talk, let us know, and we'll start the round-up.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/28/09 04:10 AM
I will be there Friday also and would not mind having dinner companions that night too.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: New York Comic-con, - 01/28/09 04:24 AM
Be warned, Exnihil, Quis will talk your ear off. He will cover every possible use for teleportation, and then some. He'll drag all over the Con to show you some obscure comic book and then won't stop talking about it.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/01/09 01:40 PM
I'm going on Saturday for sure ... Friday and Sunday are maybes ...
Posted By: Arm Fall Off Boy Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/03/09 08:10 AM
Hey, who's going to ask about Issue 50 and Lo3W being quarterly? Like, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
Hey, who's going to ask about Issue 50 and Lo3W being quarterly? Like, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say... everyone from these boards who happens to talk to DiDio, Shooter, or Marts. smile
Posted By: Arm Fall Off Boy Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 05:00 AM
[b] Hey, who's going to ask about Issue 50 and Lo3W being quarterly? Like, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say... everyone from these boards who happens to talk to DiDio, Shooter, or Marts. smile [/b]
Excellent! Hey, DiDio may have screeners...if they ask you what you want to know about, say "I want to know what else Geoff Johns will write! He's my hero!"
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 05:14 AM
I have a question concerning commissions...

I need the basics.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 05:27 AM
Not a big expert here, but when I was in San Diego, I had one done by Mike Grell, so:

- Basically, there's an area of the convention floor called "Artist Alley" where artists are seated.

- Depending on their popularity, they might be immediately available or there might be a line.

- You can go up, chat with them, and if you'd like a commission, just ask.

- There are different prices depending on what you want done (ie head shot, full character, etc.) Some people bring a sketch book for the artist to draw in, some people prefer the artist to use their own paper.

- Again, depending on the popularity, there may be a wait time, so the earlier you get to them the better. Grell turned a headshot around for me in about 6 hours, but Jeff Moy was fully booked up and told me he wouldn't be able to get me anything that day.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 05:34 AM
Much obliged.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 12:57 PM
Some people bring a sketch book for the artist to draw in, some people prefer the artist to use their own paper.
If you do have a sketch book, becareful. Our own Outdoor Miner had his stolen in San Diego. Someone who must have overheard him leaving the sketch book with an artist came back later and asked for it. The artist, thinking the guy was Outdoor Miner, handed over the sketch book.

I would have your name on the sketch book and putting a post-it on the front asking the artist to ask for id before handing it back.

So, Sarcasm Kid, are you going to be in New York?

Exnihil & I will be having dinner on Saturday, and I think a coule of other Legion Worlders will be around. It would be nice to meet you face to face.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/04/09 02:15 PM
I don't know if it's Saturday or Sunday, we're still figuring it out. And now I heard Morrison canceled. And before anyone says anything, I can think of five good reasons to see him.

Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Flex Mentallo, Batman: Gothic, and Seven Soldiers.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/05/09 02:19 PM
Its looking more and more like I won't be able to make it. I'm trying to see now if I can at least go on Friday...

Damn, this always happens to me for the NYC-Con and its only an hour away!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/05/09 03:48 PM
1)Cobalt Kid
2)Exnihil
3)Quislet .Esq
4)Shark Lad
5)l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
6)Ravenette
7)Robo
8)Kent Shakespeare
So from this, Kent is off and Cobie is a possible Friday if at all. Exnihil is Saturday only. Sarcasm Kid will you be there for the whole weekend?

So what are the plans for meeting up?
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/05/09 10:58 PM
I'm going in Friday ... I'd like to catch the screening of the Wonder Woman animated film ... going in on Saturday too, during the day ... not on Sunday ...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/05/09 11:38 PM
I was also planning to see the Wonder Woman movie
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/06/09 02:39 AM
then I guess I'll see you on Paradise Island ...

<splash>
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/06/09 06:13 AM
I still don't know. The whole thing for me has gotten confusing. I don't know if I'll get to see Geoff Johns. But I still hope I can see Nei Ruffino, Joe Prado, Brian Bolland, DnA (both Legion and Resurrection Man), Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, and some others...

You think one of them would be a bit weirded out with an idea for a commission I might ask. It's for one of my fics. Not an OC, but...

Lightning Lad & Black Orchid.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/06/09 09:54 PM
My Saturday obligation disintigrated at the last minute.

I can now meet up for any post-con event Saturday like dinner, but I doubt I'd make it down in time to make even a one-day admission worth the cost of entry to the Con itself.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 12:19 AM
Please, guys, I need to know. Can you still get passes at the gate tomorrow morning. Please. No one thought to plan ahead and everyone is snapping at each other. I need a response NOW. Thanks in advanced.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 12:57 AM
Never mind.
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 01:00 AM
Sarcasm Kid, I looked on the main ticket site:

http://www.nycomiccon.com/App/homepage.cfm?moduleid=2577&appname=100453

...and, no, it looks like Saturday is sold out. Sunday's still available though...
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 01:05 AM
Thanks to anyone who tried to help. You would've been a blessing in more ways then you could understand. Sounded if the "never mind" was too blase.

On another note, does the LL & Black Orchid commish idea sound weird?
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 01:11 AM
Considering that I once asked Mike Grell to do a sketch of Lana Lang based on his work on this cover:

http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=27994&zoom=4

...trust me, I don't think anything is "too weird". wink
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 02:35 AM
Well, you think it might be weird to ask for two if I can't make up my mind? One of LL, and the LL/BlO one?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 03:09 PM
hope it worked out, Sarky. Hope to see you there!

I'm about to hit the road for a late-afternoon arrival.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/07/09 11:40 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see you guys, but it did work out. And I'm getting an LL commission from Joe Prado tomorrow, and, hopefully, a Duela Dent commission from Amanda Conner!
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/08/09 01:28 PM
NYCCC weekend pass ... $50
Adventure Comics #0 autographed by Al Plastino ... $1
Donation to HERO Initiative after winning raffle for personalized drawing by George Perez ... $100

Meeting and hanging with Quiset, Exnihil, l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN, Robo & Kent ... priceless

<splash>
Posted By: Exnihil Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/08/09 09:59 PM
Totally agree, Shark Lad. I had such a wonderful time. As I told you and Quislet over lunch, it was a wholly unique experience for me to just kick back and "talk Legion" with people who actually... you know... know what I'm talking about!

I had a great time, and it was a pleasure meeting all of you.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/08/09 10:08 PM
((envy))

I want to do something like that here, too. Someday. smirk
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 02:29 AM
Originally posted by cleome:
((envy))

I want to do something like that here, too. Someday. smirk
Start saving pennies. I am sure there will be another Legion World gathering at the San Diego con.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 02:36 AM
It was great hanging with Exnihil (darn his wife for putting him on his guard), Shark Lad, l.e.g.i.o.n. John, Robo, and Kent (for making the drive down). And as great as Legion World is, there is something special in the face-to-face real life meetings.

Shark Lad's George Perez drawing is beautiful. Robo is a real funny guy.

And the Wonder Woman animated movie is sooooooooooooo good!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 02:37 AM
Ah, Quis. I'm too realistic to contemplate a trip anywhere further from home than downtown Seattle for the foreseeable future. I have fond memories of both S.F. and Chicago cons from days gone by, but...

I'm thinking more like something super-local connected to the Cons that are sometimes held at PDX's Convention Center, if I could persuade the other Oregonians to show up and meet. We have Stumptown Comics Fest every year now, too-- and there's more overlap between the traditional superhero geek and the "alternative" hipster fans than most of the local lifestyle rags like to admit. At least, that's been my observation.

hmmm
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
It was great hanging with Exnihil (darn his wife for putting him on his guard), Shark Lad, l.e.g.i.o.n. John, Robo, and Kent (for making the drive down). And as great as Legion World is, there is something special in the face-to-face real life meetings.

Shark Lad's George Perez drawing is beautiful. Robo is a real funny guy.

And the Wonder Woman animated movie is sooooooooooooo good!
had fun seeing Quis & Kent again and it was great to meet Exnihil & Shark lad in the flesh was great and i'm glad you all got to meet my good friend Robo. hey had a blast hanging out with all of you.
Posted By: Arm Fall Off Boy Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 07:56 AM
cleome, you've seen this, right?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 04:35 PM
Robo is a blast! He makes Abin seem tame (even the real-life Abin!)

It was cool to see Exxy again. As I arrived rather dazed from 6 hours on the road (and having to shell out $30 for parking!), he played tour guide for me to give me the half-hour "best of" tour of the floor. Thnaks, Exxy!

It also turns out we grew up 20 miles form each other, and have mutual friends/acquantances.

Great to see Quis and L-John again.

If not for John's extra pass, I wouldn't have bothered checking out the con itself. At this point, I'm much more interested in hanging with LW friends than going to cons themselves. And now that I know where he lives, he can expect lots of crank pizza deliveries. ( wink not.)

I got to surprise Quis by phoning him Friday night - at his hotel. Apparently he forgot for 5 minutes or so that he'd told us what hotel he was staying at.

I only got to hang with Sharky for a lil bit, but he's a great guy! He's the easiest one to spot in a crowd, because of his fins.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 05:34 PM
cleome, you've seen this, right?
Ah, Thanks. Couldn't possibly happen for me this time, given circumstances. But next time, who knows ?

Seattle is a great city. I try to ignore the petty ego games between Seattle and Portland as much as possible. They both have their charms, and since I don't follow sports, those kinds of rivalries mean less than nothing to me.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 10:16 PM
So, I would've told you guys yesterday but the internet connection was acting wonky.

I got to meet Amanda Conner, Ivan & Rod Reis, Eddy Barrows, Joe Prado, J.G. Jones, Cliff Chiang, Bruce Timm, Raven Gregory, and Nei Ruffino.

My brother and I got two Batman videos autogrpahed and he was surprised when he saw them. We said his cartoon shaped our childhood, and he said "sorry".

My brother got a headsketch of Hush done by Dustin Nguyen, and I got my Lightning Lad commission yesterday, but it was hell finding a sliver for it, and the only one we could find that was big enough was a nightmare carrying around.

Nei Ruffino actually remembered who I was when I told I was the one who thought she colored Grimm Fairy Tales #33 on DA.

I also picked up a great copy of Adventure Comics 334, for five dollars! And Brave and the Bold #100, Ghosts #1, the Witching Hour #10, and Dark Mansion #2.

All and all, a good day.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 10:40 PM
It does sound like it was a good con for you.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 10:42 PM
Oh I forgot. My dad got to meet Robert Culp and I had Neal Adams autograph a copy of the Best Superman & Batman stories for the both of us.

I'll see if I can get the commish of mine scanned and posted tonight,
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/09/09 11:01 PM
the highlight of the Con besides hanging with my felow LW'ers was finally getting to meet George Perez.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 12:40 AM
awesome pic, LJ ... meeting George Perez was a lifelong dream of mine too ...
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 12:49 AM
I only got to hang with Sharky for a lil bit
sorry I couldn't stay for dinner on Saturday ... I made it back to L.I. just in time to see my friend's kid blow the candles out on her cake ... it was great to meet you if ever so briefly ...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 12:59 AM
wow! Perez has lost a lot of weight since I last saw him.
Posted By: Robo Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 01:16 AM
I tell you, it was an honor to meet those Legionnaires at the comic con. Hope I didnt scare anyone with my rather outre' sense of humor...

Thank you for your acceptance and kindness...LONG LIVE THE LEGION!!!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Robo:
I tell you, it was an honor to meet those Legionnaires at the comic con. Hope I didnt scare anyone with my rather outre' sense of humor...

Thank you for your acceptance and kindness...LONG LIVE THE LEGION!!!
I can't wait to read the full account of your bus ride to San Diego.
Posted By: Robo Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 03:06 PM
Slowly but surely the words fill the page like Bouncing boy fills his costume...each word a PSI of air.

All I need is time to make it all happen, which alas, I dont have at the moment. It will happen
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 10:21 PM
Oh, here's that commission I got.

http://www.comicvine.com/lightning-.../lightningladnycc09/105-703792/?offset=0
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/10/09 10:28 PM
Here are my two prized possessions from NYCC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

<splash>
Posted By: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/11/09 01:23 AM
Nice ones Sharky. truly awesome prizes.
and very nice LL comish Sarcasm lad.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/11/09 08:12 PM
Glad you like it.
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/14/09 02:45 AM
I work four blocks from the con and NOBODY came to visit me!?!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/14/09 03:07 AM
I wanted to, but I was such a last-min re-addition that I didn't have a chance to PM you (and I see your cell # is gone from your sig). I even mentioned you at dinner, but no one knew off the top of their heads where you work.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/15/09 02:35 PM
I am going to unfeature this thread.

It was so great meeting everyone. So rhino, why didn't you go to the con?
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: New York Comic-con, - 02/23/09 02:44 AM
I hadda work all three days, noon to midnight.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 09/30/11 09:59 PM
NYCC '11 is in two weeks...
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/01/11 04:46 AM
I know, I can hardly wait.
Posted By: future king Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/01/11 02:37 PM
Yet another great convention that I am going to miss! You guys HAVE to post some good pics on here when you come back from it.
Posted By: Shining Son Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/13/11 05:03 AM
So? No plans for a group meetup of those attending?
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/13/11 05:10 AM
I'm planning a meeting.

Saturday, 3 PM. Meet at the DC Booth 2:45 PM.
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/13/11 05:31 AM
SK - do me a favor - tell the DC booth to improve the LEgion books! smile
Posted By: future king Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/13/11 09:22 AM
As well as a few other "new" books too! smile
Posted By: lil'rhino Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/13/11 11:37 PM
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
SK - do me a favor - tell the DC booth to improve the LEgion books! smile
Have you read Legion Lost #2??
That's a comic book that needs no improvement!
It was shockingly good.
Posted By: Shining Son Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/14/11 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I'm planning a meeting.

Saturday, 3 PM. Meet at the DC Booth 2:45 PM.
<sheepish look> I'm... um... not actually going to the con, but I live about 10 block due north and would be happy to join folks for dinner or a walk on the river if anyone's doing stuff like that...

I'm also giving free professional massages to Legion Worlders who can make the time for one.

In case of any of the above, please PM me.
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/14/11 08:05 AM
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
[b]SK - do me a favor - tell the DC booth to improve the LEgion books! smile
Have you read Legion Lost #2??
That's a comic book that needs no improvement!
It was shockingly good. [/b]
ah...ahmmmm....well I want to see both Cham Girl and Gates back alive!!! so that way I can say big improvement. *heh* lol
Posted By: future king Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/14/11 11:05 AM
Me too ...
I'm hoping it's those two that are really the ones who are "lost", and the series is (partly) about the search to find them!
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/14/11 08:56 PM
hheeyyyy.....if someone goes to see Paul Levitz on the panel - two questions for him -

#1 - does he continue to use the "scorecard" to keep track of every members?

#2 - whats UP with XS!?!?!? is she FP'ed out of the existence? or what?

that's all...thanks. smile
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/16/11 07:05 AM
anything new on Legion yet?
Posted By: future king Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/16/11 12:21 PM
Today is the last day of the convention. I bet we will hear all the juicy gossip by tonight or tomorrow! smile
Posted By: SharkLad Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/16/11 12:37 PM
Chris Batista showed me some pages from the upcoming "Legion: Secret Origin"... gorgeous stuff! He seemed very excited about his costume redesigns and rightfully so... they look awesome, especially the founders... he did a sketch of Ultra Boy for me too which is beautiful...
Posted By: future king Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/16/11 01:03 PM
You lucky duck!!! Eerrrrr, I mean SHARK! smile
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/16/11 04:38 PM
cool....now XS?

DC Blog said that there is a panel on Young Justice....so how did it go?!?!? Color me VERY CURIOUS AND DESPERATE to know what s happened in the panel!! I will send you a free Heroclix (Invisible Kid, Brainiac 5, Starman, Starboy, Princess Projectra, Matter-eAter Lad, etc) --- I will pay for the shipping fee if anyone posts here!
Posted By: future king Re: New York Comic-con, - 10/17/11 10:53 AM
?????????????
Are those seriously the next wave of Heroclix? laugh
Starboy AND StarMan, really?? Very cool!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: New York Comic-con, - 06/06/14 08:55 AM
Hey guys, is anyone planning on going to the Special Edition NY show next week?
© Legion World