Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 13 Murran Spies, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/20/24 11:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/20/24 11:52 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/20/24 11:51 AM
So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
by Ann Hebistand - 05/20/24 11:26 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/20/24 11:25 AM
Fatal Five in DC August Solicits
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/20/24 08:14 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/20/24 06:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/20/24 03:30 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How best to pay tribute to Dave Cockrum here?
#362887 11/28/06 02:00 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
We can't count on DC or Marvel to do it and I feel the need to do something.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Re: How best to pay tribute to Dave Cockrum here?
#362888 11/29/06 12:26 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Alas, Lash, I think it's best to pay tribute to people while they are still alive. After they've passed, it's too late.

Dave certainly knew that there was a large fandom who admired his work. He even interacted with many of us who accorded him the respect he deserved. I think that's more meaningful than any postmortum tribute.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#362889 11/29/06 07:56 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
On the old board, some thread or other turned into a drag queen name thread somehow... Dave loved my entry of "Sofonda Peters". sigh frown

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#362890 11/29/06 05:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dave was truly admired during his lifetime. In fact, it's extraordinary that someone who worked on a series over 30 years ago would be so revered. That's how Legion fans are, though.

I agree that it was very meaningful to show that appreciation to Dave Cockrum while he was still alive. I think that did happen. I have only a vague recollection of my interaction with him, online. I like Lash's little story above.

I disagree, however, with He Who Wanders in the significance of a postmortum tribute. I think it's the kind of project that we, at LW, would be perfect at putting together, whatever it is. I think our affection for the art and characters that Dave worked on would drive the project. I think the final product would stand as an excellent tribute to his work.

To make it more personal, people could tell their stories of inter-acting with Dave; whether it was a couple minutes at a con, or a lunch party, or stories from those who were closer to him. There could be stories of exchange with Dave online. There could be stories of never "meeting" him, but maybe just how his art affected us.

I would be happy to help in any way. I own all the original issues Dave drew. I own the Archive Editions that contain his work. I have a decent scanner!

Lash, these things generally require a leader and a plan. Let's continue the discussion....

#362891 11/29/06 06:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I actually have permission from Clifford Meth to use a piece of Dave's Legion work to produce an item that, hopefully, we can sell and give all proceeds to ACTOR. At least that is my intention. Whether anyone will want to buy it is another.

As for something to do specifically on the board I fully support whatever you guys want to do. Be it one of the monthly art contests or stories featuring Dave's creations. Whatever. As long as it is respectful of the man and his work I see no problem.

#362892 11/29/06 08:14 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cool idea Scotty. A month of art and fic devoted exclusively to Dave's creations and/or Dave's brief run on the Legion.
Brief but incredibly influential.

#362893 11/30/06 12:45 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
I have an idea....

In the Legion Companion, I ran the three page tryout that Dave did to get the regular Legion assignment. I also ran pages from an unfinished Timber Wolf story which Dave was considering approaching Cary Bates and Murray Boltinoff with. Instead of everyone going helter-skelter with the fanfic approach, how about this?

Finish the stories.

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com
#362894 11/30/06 12:58 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Lash's comment about the old board makes me ask: Did anyone go crazy while it was still around and save threads? Specifically, threads that Dave posted on? I'd be really interested in re-reading some of those. Maybe Gary and Scott could create a read-only forum containing all of the threads that Dave posted in, both from this board and from the old DC boards. That way people could read his comments and get a feel for who he was as a person.

I also suggest that we declare November to be "Dave Cockrum Month" at Legion World, and every year do something to keep his memory alive. November was the month that he was born and died in, and November 11 (Dave's birthday) is also called Remembrance Day. What better way to remember Dave than to remember him on a day which has "Remembrance" in the title?

#362895 11/30/06 01:39 AM
I don't wish to poo-poo anyone's desire to pay tribute to Dave in whatever way they choose. But Scott's idea of auctioning a piece of Dave's work for ACTOR has merit -- it both honors Dave and accomplishes something practical for a cause he believed in.

I also like Glen's suggestion of finishing Dave's stories from Legion Companion. It would be fun to "collaborate" with Dave. Any chance of the finished versions seeing print, Glen?

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#362896 11/30/06 04:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I will get my Legion Companion out again and re-read those pages.

I think we have a lot of great stuff happening here! I would really like to be involved in finishing the stories. There are a LOT of writers here, as well as artists. We're going to need to be very organized.

#362897 11/30/06 03:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So I did it, I read those short stories. Basically, Timber Wolf crash landed on some sandy planet(oid?) and he just defeated a monster. His ship and its instrumentation are wrecked. It's pretty wide open as to what could happen next. Naturally, the question is, how will he get home? What else is on this planet? Who else could be featured?

In the other story, Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy and Sun Boy have come to rescue Element Lad from another ancient crashed ship. They find Jan but are faced with the tentacled, monstrous TYREX! What happens next?

Both stories are great sci-fi romps! The sky's the limit! I have a MILLION ideas! Now to harness it all....

#362898 12/01/06 08:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No clear plots figured out yet, but I totally envision a Timber Wolf vs Nightcrawler brawl! Also, a Timber Wolf and Quetzal love scene!!! Perhaps both, within the same story?

#362899 12/01/06 09:37 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Any chance of the finished versions seeing print, Glen?
Nope, just here.

#362900 12/01/06 10:04 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
Lash's comment about the old board makes me ask: Did anyone go crazy while it was still around and save threads? Specifically, threads that Dave posted on? I'd be really interested in re-reading some of those. Maybe Gary and Scott could create a read-only forum containing all of the threads that Dave posted in, both from this board and from the old DC boards. That way people could read his comments and get a feel for who he was as a person.

I also suggest that we declare November to be "Dave Cockrum Month" at Legion World, and every year do something to keep his memory alive. November was the month that he was born and died in, and November 11 (Dave's birthday) is also called Remembrance Day. What better way to remember Dave than to remember him on a day which has "Remembrance" in the title?
I do have several Legion (and a few other boards) topics that were either about Dave and/or he participated in them. I was planning to recreate them here eventually even prior to this.

#362901 12/01/06 11:08 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm into all the ideas so far.

Dean, if you want to pay tribute with your own special flair, you could make your next MODEL contest a "Dave Cockrum Legionnaire Costume Tribute".

Contestants would include the 70s version of Jeckie, Nura, Shady, Tinya, Star Boy, Lightning Lad, Timber Wolf, Wildfire, Chameleon Boy, Violet, Karate Kid, Jan, and Infectious Lass.

(Ayla, Imra and Luornu's fun 70's outfits were actually modifications of designs sent in by readers, IIRC, so they wouldn't qualify.)

That might be fun.

#362902 12/02/06 04:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sounding really good, here!

Lash, I would actually rather do artwork that pays tribute to Dave's designs in another way, like in the Museum of Legion Arts. I really want to draw his unused or lesser used characters. In my head, I don't want to REJECT them again, as happens in the Pinup Model contests. Anyway, Drura won the very first one ever, so that stands as a comment on the popularity and affection for one of Dave's creations.

I also want to work on finishing Dave's unpublished short stories. So, I have lots to do already!

#362903 12/05/06 01:02 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Not being as talented as the rest of you guys and girls, I have put up my tribute to Dave by posting a small gallery of his art.
Dave Cockrum Gallery

#362904 12/05/06 04:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Nice selection! I don't know The Soulsearchers. That Legion print is one of Dave's best.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#362905 12/05/06 10:52 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ooh, I'd forgotten about the THUNDER AGENTS stuff; I still have those issues. Amazing how that company got colossal talents of the day like Cockrum, Perez and Giffen all on one series. It was also, iirc, Tom and Mary Bierbaum's first collaboration with Keith Giffen.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,517
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Roche Runo
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EmeraldEmperor
EmeraldEmperor
Southern Oklahoma
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star