Roll Call
0 members (), 26 Murran Spies, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 05/31/24 05:46 AM
Pattern Recognition
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 05:01 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 04:58 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 04:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 04:56 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 04:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/31/24 04:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
Re: Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
#469038 09/08/08 07:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Pov:
Umm... when Gog created Magog.... what did he do with his PANTS? eek shocked lol
Gog was just granting my wish,

#469039 09/10/08 03:36 PM
Active
Active
I begin to like JSA more and more every month. It was a little too much of recruiting since Lightning Saga, but the recent Gog story really captured my interest. Very clear-cut, mysterious without being too cryptic, and a thrilling connection to an existing DC Elseworld. I like it. I like Gog as a character. Like his smile. Though i fear he's about to loose it soon smile

Never was a JSA guy though I collected most of the major "team books" over the last two decades. Still hunting down the last Johns run on Ebay. But while JLA really seems lame most issues, JSA really got me. Kudos to Johns... again...

#469040 09/13/08 01:44 PM
Active
Active
Ha! So now I've been lucky! Just won an auction at German ebay for the complete JSA series ##1-87, I'm really happy! Lots of stuff to read for me. Cost me about 100 bucks, but I guess that should be worth ist...

#469041 09/13/08 06:10 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Ha! So now I've been lucky! Just won an auction at German ebay for the complete JSA series ##1-87, I'm really happy! Lots of stuff to read for me. Cost me about 100 bucks, but I guess that should be worth ist...
Congrats on your purchase, CK.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#469042 09/13/08 07:38 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
$100 is probably better than if you'd bought them brand new off the shelf. SCORE! smile

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#469043 09/14/08 03:28 PM
Active
Active
That's something I'm often thinking when I have a look at the incredible 2,99$ pricetag nowadays... most of the stuff I'm buying I would be able to track down much cheaper half a year later via Ebay. Heck, sometimes it's even cheaper to buy the Trade Paperback than to buy the single issues. Doesn't this kind of hurt the market?

The 100 bucks (67 Euros, to be exact) for the JSA series has to be considered a rather expensive deal as far as German ebay is concerned - mostly, you can get whole series for about half that price, like I did get a complete run of Preacher Trades for 35 bucks two years ago. The comics are worth so much more - but obviously, at least in Germany there are much more people selling than buying US comic books...

So, collectors luck - I'm very much looking forward to Johns' first run, very curious how this book got so "big" again...

#469044 09/14/08 03:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

The 100 bucks (67 Euros, to be exact)
Juuuust...keep rubbing that in.
mad

wink

Nice buy. I followed the series up to about the Black Adam wars. A terrific read.

#469045 09/15/08 02:27 PM
Active
Active
Don't be too upset, I lost about 150 bucks buying this "Countdown" series... DC owes me one smile

#469046 09/16/08 06:22 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Don't be too upset, I lost about 150 bucks buying this "Countdown" series... DC owes me one smile
Let's initiate a class action lawsuit. I was down about $75 before I just couldn't take it any more.

#469047 09/16/08 04:11 PM
Active
Active
Well, I considered it collectable due to Karate Kid and Duo Damsel appearing... so it's even worse: I can't even SELL it again, it's just part of my collection now like the Timber Wolf mini...

As for the JSA: I really am kind of lost here: From the Wikipedia article I know about the convoluted continuity (yes! Another series which has one - don't you just love DC?) of JSA over the years. Especially with CoiE doing so much damage.

But where do I have to put all these series: All Star Squadron was pre-crisis, but what was Infinity Inc and Young All-Stars? What was the last thing that happened before 1999's JSA #1 - and in which series did it happen?

#469048 09/16/08 05:26 PM
Infinity Inc. (not the new series about Steel's niece and Luthor's Everyman project) and Young All-Stars are both pre-crisis. I think JSA #1 was the first JSA/Earth-2 heroes series after Crisis.

And pre-crisis Infintiy Inc. was the sons & Daughters of the JSA (more or less); Young All-Stars was set in WWII (Like All-Star Squadron) and was like thier teen Titans (or Marvel's Young Invaders)

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#469049 09/16/08 05:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Ok, let's simplify it all... take WWII. Add some costumed crusaders there. (And Wonder Woman I/II (depending on your 'glass full/glass empty' take on time travel).) They are the JSA. When the war years reach the US, they are the A.S.S. shocked And then the anti-Communist McCarthyism movement expel them...

Until heroes like Superman and the others surface. Now, remember, as IRL time passes... the gap between their forced retirement and their return gets longer and longer, until DC decides to retcon WWII to the Vietnam War. (They should do it by 2020, btw. Speed Force or no Speed Force, Jay Garrick can't live forever.) But the JSA is filled with the same veterans, and their sons, daughters, and protegés are sick of it. Their membership to the JSA are denied, and they form Infinity, Inc. SSK becomes Skyman, and soon dies. Then Zero Hour, when the effects of the rejuvenating Chinese medicine that those geezers been taking...

And then the JSA becomes the veteran/protegé team we all come to love. They had a headlining feature for two decades, counting the WWII years and JSA #1-... while the Legion had four decades of it (not counting their brief stints from '58 onwards, and the brief pause as a backup filler). Not much to complain.

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.
#469050 09/17/08 01:34 AM
Leader
Leader
I'm actually re-reading the full JSA run that you've bought and I'm surprised by how much I'd forgotten and how good it actually is. There's some brilliant stuff in there that I feel is missing somehow from the current series (which I've stopped buying because I'm just not very interested in it any mroe).

As for how it fits in with continuity...

Well, it's a bit vague but mostly all continuity stands with a few tweaks. It's safer to assume that all JSA, Infinity Inc and ASS stories happened mostly as published unless you get something that directly contradicts that. The age issue of the characters is dealt with in various ways (Green Lantern/Sentinal not aging properly because of the Green Flame, Wildcat having nine lives) but mostly because of them absorbing Ian Karkull's temporal energies and so not aging properly (which also explains the originals children not againg properly). If you want the full post-crisis JSA stuff it's also worth finding the short JSA series from the early 90s by Strazewski and Parobeck (about nine issues I think. Reintroduces the JSA into modern continuity and features Jessie Quick prominently, all happening pre-Zero Hour) and the Justice Society Returns mini-series that preceded the Johns/Robinson/Goyer series. There both really good little series but they help give you the set up for the full series.

Really though pretty much everything that you need to know about the Johns/Robinson/Goyer series is contained within that title. It does include new characetrs introduced in other series (like Dr Midnight and Mr Terrific) but they're all brought in in such a way that it doesn't really matter if you're not already familiar with them. You are also in for a treat with some of the artwork as well. Sadowski is superb and the Leonard Kirk issues are stunning.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#469051 09/21/08 03:49 PM
Active
Active
Thanks for your explanations! Turns out that this JSA affair seems to be even more complicated than I thought - there were two short-lived series at the beginning of the 90s, some other mini-series and just reading All Star Squadron #1, I suddenly realize that this is NOT about the JSA...

Confusing, just the way I like it - I had a ball when I started reconstructing the history of the Legion 1994, when I returned to the field after German Legion comics had ceased to exist after #300 in the 80s... splendid.

#469052 11/30/08 05:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
With THE KINGDOM oneshot, the expected hammer begins to fall.

Some fine scenes here-- Atom-Smasher confronting Damage... and later vice versa... were highlights. Though Damage does seem more simple-minded than I remember the character being.

Sanderson Hawkins' story was also very well done. I'd totally buy a Sand/Sandman series. I was surprised that he was referred to as just 'Sand' once again, though. Which is it?

I'm glad he has the opposite reaction of Damage to his 'boon'. Hope he reaches some middle ground with his visions. Otherwise, this character'll crack, sooner or later.

My heart cracked a bit, when Sand's case reached its unfortunate conclusion. Cracked some more reading poor Citizen Steel's ongoing hope-- one destined to go unmet, I think.

The shift at issue's end was at once surprising and totally expected. Not a standard combination. The mood created earned whatever predictability there was, however. I was getting impatient with the series, even though I enjoyed each issue. The payoff appears that it will be worth it, though.

For the first time in a couple of months, I'm looking forward to the next installment of *this* storyline, as opposed to looking past it to future issues of JUSTICE SOCIETY, one of my favorite titles.

#469053 12/24/08 06:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And the new regular team on JSA will be...

Bill Willingham and Matt Sturges.

Not who i would have thought of first, but i will give it the benefit of the doubt. Willingham is fantastic on Fables. And if he handles it the way he does fables, with respect to the origin material, i think it could be great.

Sturges, the name is familiar, but i can't say i know it right off hand.

Jerry Ordway will be the transition guy.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#469054 12/25/08 08:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My first instinct was to wince for some reason. Maybe because SHADOWPACT never lived up to what it might have been, for me.

However, I read some posts by Matt Sturges at the COMICBLOC JSA forum, and his responses to readers' questions actually has me looking forward to their stint, to some degree.

#469055 12/26/08 10:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm excited about these two guys. They have a great synergy and have shown the skill with large casts (Fables moreso than Shadowpact.)

Just spouting off.
#469056 12/31/08 09:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The only Willingham thing that I remember reading was the Elementals, which I did like. I've probably read other things, but I'm not always conscious of who wrote what.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#469057 01/01/09 12:52 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Me too. I followed Willingham's early stuff (like the Elementals) and I think he's fantastic when he takes his time on a project. When he rushes it for a deadline it's not so great but then again he's had several years of practice at the profession since I last followed his work. I'm definitely willing to give him a chance on this.

#469058 01/02/09 07:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That last page of issue #22 sure is beautiful. Nice to see a Ross Legion.

#469059 01/02/09 04:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
AAAAGGGGHHHHHHH! Legion and JSA in one week, and i haven't made it to the store yet.

Geh...must ...not ...let...wife...hook...me...on...more shows....online....

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#469060 01/03/09 03:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sturges is kinda Willingham's right-hand guy, isn't he... didn't he finish up Salvation Run for Willingham?

I'll miss Johns but maybe a change will do JSA good.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#469061 01/03/09 06:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i'll be sad to see Geoff go from 'JSA' !

it's been my overall favourite book since it first came out !

i haven't followed the new guy's work, so it will be interesting to see what they bring to the team ??

Matthew.

#469062 01/03/09 06:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
#22 had a very powerfull ending, for those familiar with Kingdom Come and The Kingdom. Nice legion reference too!

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,819
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Owlman
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Triad Orange
Triad Orange
Cargg
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star