Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 49 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 48 49
A Piece of Darkness
Invisible Brainiac #1023385 02/26/23 04:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 4: MOVING FORWARD

Legion World

Tasmia Mallor lay in her bed, stirring gently. She often slept slightly longer than most of her teammates, but part of that was communing with her ancestors; in that point between wakefulness and sleep, she would seek their counsel. She had already done that earlier tonight; her great-great-great-great grandfather, a wiry man with a merry twinkle in his eye, had regaled her with his exploits, pretending to be a woman to sneak into a warlord chieftain's harem and stop a bloody conquest.

Now, though, she was blissfully approaching true sleep. She felt her consciousness drift off, and...

TASMIA!

The cry shocked her awake. "Mother?" Tasmia saw the familiar woman, the mother whom she had rarely seen as a child, kept apart so a single danger could not claim them both**. Though her form was made of shadow, it was definitely her. And her mother looked... afraid.

"Tasmia, you must come now!"

And then the shadow disappeared.

Cursing, Tasmia jumped out of bed and grabbed her flight ring. "Kid Quantum, I need to go to Talok VIII."

Talok VIII

Dreamer, Nura Nal of Naltor; precognition
Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu; morphs into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; darkfield casting

Insect Queen watched as their Kwai guide gestured to the small contingent around them. But Lonna took some time to drink the sights in. Since Umbra had joined the Legion so long ago***, Talok VIII had been mentioned often on the news; to most worlds, the planet was a backwater. Much of its technology had been brought by the United Planets, and it had taken the twelve tribes of Talok VIII some time to choose an ambassador to sit in the United Planets seat. After Umbra had been lost in the Rift, Talok VIII had unilaterally seceded from the UP briefly, using the darkfield to cloak itself in eternal shadow;** until Umbra had returned, reclaimed her darkfield, and talked sense into Talok VIII. The main reason they were able to come so quickly was that a permanent Threshold had been set up, to help ease the Talokian's fears. At least three Kwai, a handful of UP bureaucrats and a contingent of Science Police were on Talok VIII at all times; only Xanthu, Gil'd and Corvan IV currently had the same.******

One of the Science Police officers stood up and approached. Lonna noticed that the officer had blue skin, like Umbra's. "Officer Asma Tarun, ma'ams. How may I help you?"

"Thank you, officer. We need to visit the Shadow Caves; we can manage our own journey." Umbra clasped the officer's hands and kissed them. "You do our people great honor by serving in the Science Police, Officer Tarun."

Officer Tarun kissed Tasmia's hands twice back. "Not as great as the honor you bring, by serving in the Legion, Shadow Champion."

Lonna and Dreamer both clasped their hands in front of them, and bowed. Tasmia had briefed them on Talokian customs before arriving, and had stressed the need for proper politeness.

As they took to the air, Insect Queen activated their transuit.

"Wise," Umbra said, as she activated her own. "The Talokian desert can be unforgiving. I grew up in it, but anything that helps us focus now is good."

Dreamer closed her eyes momentarily. "Umbra, I'm trying to scan ahead, but... I'm mainly seeing darkness. I can see some shapes, but..."

Umbra tsked. "It's as I feared. The darkness in the shadow caves is too intense."

The three flew along in silence for a bit. Nura kept trying for glimpses of the future, and Tasmia was laser-focused. Once or twice, Lonna thought of making a comment about the beautiful desert landscape below, but thought better of it.

Thankfully, the silence only lasted a few minutes. Umbra began to descend, and Lonna saw the mouth of a large cave.

"I need to go in alone," Umbra said. "Please wait here."

"No, I can manage," Nura said steadily. "Trust me."

"It's not that," Tasmia gave a small smile. "You are both warriors and Legionnaires, and I trust you to watch my back. But only Shadow Champions have ever survived the Shadow Cave..."

"Oh, if it's that, then..." Nura smiled.

"We'll see you in a bit," Lonna added.

Tasmia gave a small bow, then went inside.

Nura closed her eyes again; she tried to focus on Umbra. All she could see in the next hour or so was darkness; Umbra cloaked in it, commanding it, moving in it. She focused on the cave; all she could see again were shadowy forms.

"Still nothing?" Lonna asked, concerned.

"No, but let me try something else..." Nura closed her eyes and focused on Lonna. She could see Lonna shifting into a Talokian Sand Beetle, then yelling something into her flight ring. Then she could see...

"Darkness!" Nura's eyes opened. Lonna had already shifted into a Talokian Sand Beetle, and was digging into the soft desert sand. "But that means..."

Suddenly, the darkness that they could see through the cave opening seemed to flow. Then tendrils of blackness rushed at them!

"No!" Lonna yelled into her flight ring. "I don't know if Umbra's down!"

"We have to keep moving!" Dreamer yelled. She looked mere seconds in the future, and watched the shadows roll and move. Shifting her vision between present and future, Nura commanded her flight ring to help her dodge and weave between the waves of shadow. "Lonna, I'm barely keeping ahead, are you...?"

This time, Lonna had shifted into a Kathooni Orbwing. Her new form's gigantic eyes glowed in the darkness. "I can see your shape, and I can see the shadows... shaped like humanoids... but that's it!" Commanding her wings to carry her backwards, Lonna desperately flew from left to right.

Nura cursed. "I should have seen this earlier... but if I'm right, Tasmia is right here with us somewhere!"

"I am!" Tasmia sounded. "Whatever you two do, don't go forward into the cave!"

"Don't worry, I'm not about to go nearer!" Lonna snapped. She rotated her eyes, memorizing the darker outline of the cave mouth, even as she quickly banked right to avoid a sharp shadow.

"And what will you do?" Nura could see Tasmia's form, moving as if slashing forward, just like in her vision. "Oh!" just in time, Nura foresaw a flurry of shadowy daggers would come her way. She leaped up into the air with her flight ring to escape.

"I'm talking to the family," Tasmia said as she dove into the cave mouth once more. As she entered the mouth of the cave for the second time today, she felt her darkfield rising and ebbing within her. "Ancestors! Your daughter is here! Speak with me!"

Shrieking, writhing forms appeared in front of her. Tasmia's heart caught in her throat; these were her once-regal ancestors. Her mother's face appeared, contorted in anguish. "The pain, Tasmia, the pain!"

"What happened?" Tasmia reached out to her mother's hands. "Tell me, so I can help!"

"It just appeared...!" Tasmia's mother choked off.

Looking around, Tasmia could barely make out the walls of the cave. The shadows were swirling around too quickly. But was there something here, something foreign? She unleashed her darkfield, trying to ignore the screams. She cast her shadows around the cave, feeling for something... anything...

... there! There was something smooth, something unnatural...

Tasmia wove her darkfield as tight-knit as it could go, and loosed it at the object she felt. She heard a crunch, like glass breaking...

... and the shrieking stopped! Tasmia watched as her ancestors began to solidify their forms, looking once more like the great Shadow Champions she saw in her dreams.

"I had not felt such pain since I was killed!" Tasmia's mother rose up. She looked so much like Tasmia herself.

"There was an intruder..." Tasmia's great-great-great-grandmother, with her long white hair, stood up. "He didn't enter the cave, fortunately for him; he would have been torn asunder once he did."

"But he left something," said a tall, muscular man whom Tasmia knew was the fourth Shadow Champion in her line. "That... device... that you broke."

"And..." Tasmia's mother looked around, as if searching. Then her eyes focused in anger. "And he took something!"

"He took a part of the shadow cave!" hissed Tasmia's first ancestor. "He distracted us, so he could steal something!"

"Ancestors, tell me exactly what happened," Tasmia soothed. "Show me!" Tasmia opened herself up to the shadows; and the Shadow Cave filled her with visions. She saw a large figure, surrounded by the outside light. A humanoid male. He threw something into the cave, and the pain began. And after Tasmia helped end the pain, there was a feeling of loss, like a little hole had appeared in the souls inhabiting the cave.

Tasmia bent down to pick up the object. It was some kind of translucent purple crystal, split into two where here shadows had hit it.

"I will find out who did it, ancestors," Tasmia clutched the crystal in her fist. "And I will make them pay."

IB's notes:

1) Legion Lost 6 and Legion 24 hint at Umbra "speaking" with her ancestors by means of her darkfield

2) Legends of the Legion 3 showed Umbra's origin; among them how she was taken from her mother shortly after birth, and kept separated for safety.

3) Umbra became a Legionnaire in Legionnaires 43.

4) Umbra was part of the Legion Lost cast, leading the UP at large to think her dead. Umbra lost her darkfield in Legion 2; she left for Talok VIII in Legion 10; and in Legion 24 she reclaims her darkfield and encourages Talok VIII to rejoin the outside world.

5) Why do these worlds have special status? Xanthu was ravaged by Robotica (Legion Worlds 4); Gil'd is still recovering its oceans (stolen by the Water Elemental in L* 71-74; and Corvan IV was suffering a famine (mentioned by terrorists in Legion 1). Through Volume 4, I've mentioned that the Legion is helping all these worlds.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/03/23 12:26 AM.
Putting Their Heads Together
Invisible Brainiac #1023462 02/28/23 08:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Legion World

Brainiac 5, Querl Dox of Colu; 12th level intelligence and force field powers
Dreamer, Nura Nal of Naltor; precognition
Invisible Kid, Lyle Norg of Earth (Australia and Israel); invisibility
Kid Quantum II, Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu; time manipulation. Current Legion leader.
Kinetix, Zoe Saugin of Aleph; telekinesis and animation of objects; affinity for magic
Saturn Girl, Imra Ardeen of Titan; telepathy
Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; darkfield casting
White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery

Kid Quantum sighed as she ran towards the meeting room. With all the reports and messages coming in over the last few days, she had barely had time to think! She was just glad her boyfriend Cosmic Boy had also been leader, once upon a time; he would never moan that Jazmin had to postpone date night for an emergency. And he gave some good advice, too.

Jazmin idly thought of slowing time in the meeting room down, so she could eat her synth-chicken salad wrap. Then she thought against it; after all, she shouldn't use her powers on her teammates without their consent. Or implied consent, as she may have to do in battle.

She sighed, and unwrapped her wrap, taking a bite as she entered the room.

"Kid Quantum, Why am I here?" Brainiac 5 asked immediately. There was no heat in his voice, but just the fact that he asked made Jazmin want to rub her temples.

"I asked you here, Brainiac 5, because you are still the most intelligent mind on the team," Jazmin said flatly. "Babbage is great at running different scenarios and pulling in data sets, but it can do that outside of this room - you are still able to make logical leaps that it could not. Babbage itself admits that."

"Well, that seems logical." Brainiac 5 settled in with an air of satisfaction, and Invisible Kid made a friendly face at him.

One of the leadership lessons she had learned; think carefully about who should be in a meeting. And think carefully she had. Saturn Girl, Kinetix and Umbra were here mainly to share what they knew. The others would sink this in and try to piece things together. Dreamer was here to use her precognition for insight. Invisible Kid represented the Espionage Squad as their founder and de facto leader - though from all Jazmin gathered, the Squad operated more in a more egalitarian, flatter manner now - nearly all the Squad were headstrong in their own ways, though they worked together wonderfully. The White Witch was, of course, here for her magical expertise. Triad was here as de facto Deputy Leader; with Nightwind having stepped down as co-Legion leader, there was no current Deputy. Something Kid Quantum was planning on fixing herself. Triad still played a key role in day-to-day team administration, though more as a consultant for her expertise and reviewing reports. With Rebound and Gear also as full Legionnaires, the day-to-day needed to be handed over to the team's support staff. Jazmin made a mental note to check in on whether Marla Latham needed some help with that, and whether she could encourage him to divide oversight between himself and M'Rissey...

Ah, sprock that. "Excuse me, I need to make a note," she announced. She pulled out her Omnicom and left a little reminder - "Marla and M"rissey!" She sighed as she pocketed her Omnicom again. "Okay, ladies, shall we get briefed?"

Saturn Girl was first; she described how she and Question had tried to probe both the Wellurian prisoner and Brawler. "They have either been shielded by a very powerful and skilled telepath, or some magic is involved," she finished. "I asked Micah Aven to look at them, and he concluded the same. To be certain, Karate Kid helped me contact the monks on Steeple - but Universo is firmly imprisoned, and I could not detect any mental activity that indicated he had pierced his telepathic scenario."*

"There are definitely spells to protect against telepathic intrusion," White Witch said, gravely. "My friends and I were forced to use some when plotting against Mordru..."**

"He's not involved, is he? We just checked his prison yet again." Kinetix was clearly worried.

"No, all readings indicate not," Invisible Kid had his hands clasped in front of his head, two fingers tapping his lips. "A cult trying to awaken him?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," Kid Quantum gently steered the meeting back. "Let's hear what happened on Aleph first."

Kinetix described the team's search of the unearthed citadel; how they had scanned and inspected each artifact, but felt nothing strange. The White Witch had also visited Aleph afterwards, and found nothing.

"It's similar to all the other sites," Kinetix's tone got more and more frustrated. "Like the ones on Earth. All I could feel was some sense of magic..."

"And it ties into all the reports of missing magical objects," Triad continued.

"Was one of them this?" Umbra angrily pointed at the object she had found on Talok VIII, in the Shadow Caves. "This nearly drove my ancestors mad!"

"It is definitely magical in origin - or was," White Witch frowned at the object. "But it was imbued with a spell, rather than being a magical artifact on its own."

"I can't sense anything in it now, either," Kinetix added.

Kid Quantum began pacing. "So let's go over what we know. Magical objects are being stolen across the galaxy; some reported, but some we only guess at. Is that right?"

Triad and Invisible Kid confirmed it.

"Then, we suspect that whatever's happened with Brawler and our Wellurian prisoner is also magical." Again, a round of nods.

"It doesn't seem to be Mordru. Any other suspects or motives?"

"I have reached out to my fellow sorcerers on Zarrox," Mysa began. "None are aware of any rogue factions... though I have to admit, Zarrox does not have a monopoly on magic. And as for the why..."

"There are two parts here, the collection of objects and the agents like Brawler," Brainiac 5 offered. "One thing to notice is that the Wellurian was also likely involved in collecting the objects... but what did Brawler's actions have to do with magic?"

"That's a good point..." Triad began to mull. "All Brawler did was sabotage a Legion membership test. And try to kill several of us, but..."

Kid Quantum caught Invisible Kid's eye. She had not liked it, but she had asked the Espionage Squad to carefully probe the backgrounds of the newest Legionnaires and some of the Cadets. Density, Lamprey and Sizzle had made it onto the team because they had helped stop Brawler. Retro had benefitted from telling Triad what he had seen and heard to indicate Brawler might be planning something. She hated it, but she had left no stone unturned... the Espionage Squad members hadn't found anything too suspicious, other than that one of Lamprey's uncles had a gambling problem. But that hardly seemed like something that would lead him to get involved in whatever was happening.

And of course, standard psychic scans didn't indicate any strong tendencies towards deviousness.

"What bothers me too is how Brawler changed," Invisible Kid subtly shifted the subject. Though he had seen the need to investigate Legionnaires and Cadets, he knew that others in the room would not find it so palatable... or would question whether they had been investigated, too. As a former leader himself, he knew how important it was to maintain team harmony. "He went through the same personality scans we all did. They indicated some arrogance and carelessness, but no red flags that would have disqualified him from Cadet-ship. And, how did his powers increase?"

"Magic, duh," Kinetix rolled her eyes. "Everything seems to be explained by magic!"

"Okay, then explain the why?" Brainiac 5's annoyance was palpable. He did sometimes have a short fuse, especially when teammates were acting irreverently.

"Is it a trap?" Umbra's darkfield began to manifest around her, and she clutched her fists. "Is Brawler a mole?"

"I don't see anything of that sort, but you all know magic is a weakness of mine, too," Dreamer offered. She tugged at her hair, a sign of her discomfort with her admission.

"Maybe we should move them off Legion World," Kid Quantum muttered. "But where to? If it is a trap, I wouldn't want them to be on Takron-Galtos..."

"Perhaps I can arrange for them to be housed and guarded on Zarrox," White Witch offered.

"Thanks, Mysa. Lu, would you get Mysa in touch with Gigi Cusimano please?" Triad nodded at that, hands tapping quickly on her Omnicom.

"Okay team, thanks for putting our hands together," Kid Quantum stood up. "I propose we do this. Brainy, Lyle, Nura, I want you thinking and crunching and trying to make connections, please. Whether you do it alone, or bring others in, is up to you. In two days, let's sit again and see if we can thresh things out."

Jazmin looked at Luornu. "Lu, whatever happens, I think we need to brief the team. Please organize something in three days, and tell everyone attendance is a must as long as they're on-duty and not on a mission." Lu tapped faster and faster as she got to work.

"Jazmin, a word?" Nura moved over to Jazmin. "I can see some... uncertainty... and anxiety... during that meeting. Some reassurance would help."

"Thanks, Nura," Jazmin smiled. "Lu, I think it will be good to work with Gear and try to give as many Legionnaires as possible some down time after our briefing. We'll be asking them to think, and I want them to have clear, fresh minds." Lu nodded once more; she had triplicated by now, with each of her working on a different task.

Jazmin stood up. "Thanks, everyone. I know this is worrisome, but we'll get everyone we can working on it." As she watched everyone - except Triad, who was still tapping quickly - file out, she leaned on the table and sighed. She had forgotten how hungry she was... She grimaced as she bit into the cold wrap. "I think I'll run over to the cafeteria and ask Tenzil for some cake..." she muttered.

IB's notes:

1) Micah Aven is Saturn Girl's old teacher, and one of the best telepaths on Titan. Universo was imprisoned in a harmless telepathic dream scenario, then placed on the isolated world of Steeple to boot. (See the end Dream Crime, Legion 23).

2) This White Witch is the daughter of the Reboot Mordru. She and her friends brought him down more than a century before the United Planets formed (as retold in L* 49-51)

3) Nightwind and Kid Quantum II were co-leaders at the start of Volume 4, but Nightwind's doubts and guilt over the takeover of Legion World in Volume 3 led to her stepping down.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/09/23 04:38 PM.
Putting Their Heads Together
Invisible Brainiac #1023473 02/28/23 05:20 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

*note: for a full roll call, please click here

The meeting room was abuzz as each and every one of the 49 current Active Legionnaires chatted and milled about. It was rare that all of them were in the same room together these days, and the atmosphere was getting livelier by the minute.

"Ooh, those holos from your honeymoon are fantabulous!" Triad Neutral gushed. "Yes, you really should visit Ventura if you have the chance," Saturn Girl sighed.

"Even turning burst-pluberry red was worth it!" Live Wire chucked as he absent-mindedly rubbed his sun-darkened skin.

"I can't believe I fell for it!" Echo was raging as he stomped into the room. Behind him, Inferno chuckled. "Come on, Troy. We all had our turn playing Chuck at billiards!"

"It's practically a new Legionnaire rite of passage by now," Particon laughed.

Rebound grinned. "Sorry, Troy. That's why I insisted on not playing for anything. That's the only way I could get Tenzil to play with me again."

Mentalla smiled shyly at Echo. "We all fail sometimes, Troy. We can't be the best at everything, you know."

Troy began to snap, then looked at Mentalla. "Y-you're right, Delya," he mumbled.

"Staq and Dag seem to be doing fine," Blizzard told Microbe as they walked in. Having all been on the short-lived Substitute Heroes* together, they had all made it a point to keep in touch - after all, every single former Sub was still attached to the Legion in some way. "They say Lallor is more "slow-paced"," Brek made air quotes to emphasize the words, and Drura giggled in understanding. "But their own VR room helps."

"I heard the same from Lydda," Drura shared. "She, Ulu and Pete said pretty much the same thing about Xanthu. And Dori seems to be fine; she joined our Subs pretty late, so I don't know her as well as the rest; but she and Ral are making an effort to meet a lot."

"We should join them more often," Brek sighed. "It's just that, with missions and all..."

"Tell me about it..." Drura added. "I've told them; if just one of us two can join, we should go for it..."

"Well, at least we got some more non-humanoids AND non-vertebrates this time!" Gates snapped as he consulted the list of Legion Cadets. "It's our own fault if some sentients perceive us as elitistic biped exclusionists!"

"Maybe you should go on more recruitment trips," Spark teased as she watched Gates rant.

"What a brilliant idea, Spark!" Gates rounded on Chemical Kid, who had been making shushing sounds towards Spark. "You're helping coordinate those, aren't you, Condo? Through your media contacts?"

"Uh... that is right, but... the scheduling is all care of Marla Latham..." Condo stammered.

Condo was saved by Kid Quantum stepping forward and clearing her throat. "Okay, everyone, settle down."

There was a little bit more buzzing as Legionnaires finished their conversations and settled into their seats.

Kid Quantum looked round at the team, all seated in a U-shape around her. There was a microphone and a unique holo-display for each. Swallowing, she began. "You all know by now that we have been encountering odd happenings for some time..."

She quickly went through what they knew. The magical objects being stolen; Brawler; the Wellurian on Aleph; Umbra's ancestors on Talok VIII. At this last one, even some of the longer-serving Legionnaires muttered among themselves. Umbra was not the most sociable Legionnaire, so most of her teammates didn't quite grasp just how mystical her darkfield was.

Jazmin made a point of refreshing the holo, to get her teammates' attention. She then ran down the avenues the team had investigated; Mordru, Universo, other sorcerers on Zarrox.

"In summary, we still don't know who is doing this, or why..." Then she paused to let it all sink it. "And there is another angle we have to seriously explore."

She felt the atmosphere change with her holo display, as Brawler's profile filled the screen.

"What does HE have to do with it?" Density asked loudly. Amp glowered, and Echo visibly tensed. Those who had been Legion Cadets alongside Brawler had mixed feelings about his turn; none of them had actually liked him, but he had been one of them.

What they didn't realize was that many of the other Legionnaires also felt disturbed. After all, most of them had voted for the establishment of a Cadet program in the first place.** XS looked ill, and even Cosmic Boy was frowning.

"We have to explore every avenue..." Jazmin began. She quickly ran through the group's reasoning; about how Brawler's power boost was unexplained; how he displayed a similar telepathic and psychic immunity to the Wellurian's.

"We don't know how he was compromised, or why, but..." Jazmin paused and looked around the room. Even the normally relaxed Magno, Inferno and Spark were leaning forward. "But we have to assume he was, for a reason."

Murmurs broke around the room. "Aren't our screening procedures tight enough?" demanded Gates. "Do we need to check on everyone?" Andromeda asked, suddenly tense; M'Onel placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Given her own history, as a sort-of-mole for the White Triangle***, she was one of the most sensitive to the idea of a traitor on the team.

"We've run extensive background checks on all staff on Legion World," Jazmin leaned forward for emphasis. "We're working with the Science Police through Shvaughn and Gigi. We've even briefed the UP President, who has directed UP Intelligence to work with us."

Sizzle and Ferro traded looks, and Star Boy visibly exhaled.

"We are working on a plan of investigation," Jazmin continued. "Brainiac 5 and Dreamer are building a squad to coordinate security reviews and enhance protocols; I've asked Nightwind to help manage that squad." Cheers erupted among the team; all three names had good reputations. Nightwind smiled gratefully at her teammates' support.

"And Invisible Kid will lead the Espionage Squad**** in pursuing further leads." Lume literally beamed at this; it had been inducted just days prior.

"But this is an all-team affair," Jazmin continued. "I expect that everyone will take this mystery seriously, and contribute to solving it."

"And how can we help?" Magno nearly leaped out of his seat.

"Nightwind and I will be in touch," Jazmin's eye twinkled. "With Triad, we'll be coordinating between the two squads. We will need all of you to take on some fact-finding missions."

Rebound was nodding in agreement, and Wildfire let out a "sprock yeah!"

"And so it's not all work," Jazmin ended. "We've done some duty roster juggling and given everyone two days off within the next week... and one of those days is now."

"Wait, what?" Wildfire jumped up this time. "Seriously?"

"Don't expect this regularly," Jazmin laughed. "We're going to be working hard, so we thought everyone should get a break. Thank Dreamer for this suggestion."

"I could so kiss you," Star Boy turned to Dreamer. "In fact, I will!"

"Enjoy your time off, everyone," Jazmin said as she ended the holo. "Get some rest, I want you all at your peak in the coming days."

***********************************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Blizzard and Night Girl got the idea of forming the Subs in Legionnaires 43; we only ever saw them once more, with all other members in silhouette, in L* 49. It's my own canon that the other "canon" Preboot Subs also joined the team.

2) The Legion Cadet program was introduced in Legion 25!

3) Andromeda joined in LSH 66, and we would learn that she had White Triangle ties. Her White Triangle family had pulled some strings... and Roxxas, Daxam's Ambassador to the United Planets, used this to his advantage. Andromeda would turn on the White Triangle at the end (Legionnaires Annual 2).

4) Other permanent Espionage Squad members are Apparition, Chameleon, Sensor, Spider-Girl, Triad, Violet.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 02/28/23 06:20 PM.
A Day in the Life
Invisible Brainiac #1023475 02/28/23 06:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

***********************************************************************************************

Echo walked, somewhat absentmindedly, into the cafeteria. He picked up a tray and walked to the serving tables, while composing his plan for the next free 23 hours in his head.

Tenzil Kem tilted his sunglasses as he looked at Echo. "Troy? Hey, Legion World to Troy!"

Echo shifted his focus to Tenzil. Idly, he wondered why Tenzil insisted on wearing sunglasses indoors, then realized they were probably regular glasses with one-way tint. "Sorry, Tenzil?"

"I'm going off-duty in half an hour, too," Tenzil's eyes twinkled. "The servo-bots will keep food fresh, but if you have special requests you'll need to ask for them now."

"Oh! No, no, this selection is more than good enough," Echo laughed. "Thanks, though. You are still the master chef!"

"And don't you forget it," Tenzil winked. "I hope you're relaxing today."

"Oh, I will, I will," Echo smiled. He then busied himself making nutritious selections; he avoided the creamy pasta, but loaded up on the plain softboiled elvabird eggs. Sighing, he looked for a place to sit, and spotted one of his teammates alone. Swallowing, he walked up to her.

"Hey, Mentalla... Delya?" As the blonde Titanian turned to look at him, Troy could feel his heart melting. She had the sweetest smile.

"Oh, Troy!" Delya Castil immediately tapped on the table. "Please! I'd, um, love your company?"

Troy Stewart was oblivious to Gravity, Density, Kinetix, Blizzard, XS and Magno giggling at them from another table. XS whispered, "So cute!"

"Troy motioned at Delya's own plate. "Full of healthy, fresh, natural foods, I see!"

"You know what they said in Cadet training," Delya laughed. "Sound body, sound mind..." She took a sip of her fresh pluberry-and-sweetgourd juice. "So, how are you spending the free day?"

"I was, um, thinking of visiting the Ethnography Museum," Troy confessed. "I know most of our teammates are lazing around, but..."

"This is both relaxing and educational, isn't it?" Delya beamed. "That's a great way to spend it! I was planning on going out too, but was deciding between that and the UP Historical Archives."

Troy picked at his food for a bit. Behind him, Kinetix was now nudging Gravity. Blizzard and Magno were peering at Troy. "Come on, take the shot..." Magno breathed.

"Would you like to come with me?" Troy looked Delya in the eye.

"I'd love to," Delya beamed. "When were you planning to go?"

"Um... any time, really. What time suits you?"

"I was going to work out at 15:00. We can leave after eating and be back before then if that suits you?"

"I work out at 14:00 myself," Troy smiled. "But what say I bump my gym time to 15:00, and we can have an extra hour at the museum?"

"It's a da- deal," Delya caught herself, even as she began twirling her hair.

Troy took a long sip of his cinnamon coffee, to hide the grin forming on his face.

Behind them, Blizzard made an "oh yes!" gesture.

***********************************************************************************************

In the Legion's gymnasium, Karate Kid demonstrated the Swimming Crane form. "And this form allows one to flow quickly into a defensive move, then an offensive one," he narrated as the VR-generated opponent moved to strike at him. Val deftly blocked the strike, then pivoted his body so he could strike his attacker's head. Shifting back into a normal stance, Val waved his hand. One VR opponent appeared for each of his students - Amp, Microbe, Rebound and Star Boy. A handful of the more diligent Legion Cadets were here too - Battering Ram, Dolphin, Paragon, and X-Bomb Betty. Val kept his classes small on purpose, so he could give enough attention to each.

Val began his route along each. Amp was a quick study, and Val appreciated how she refrained from using her boosting powers. Microbe was less swift, but she was equally diligent; she would try and try until she mastered a form. Rebound was surprisingly adept, at least in terms of knowing just how to place his limbs and angle his body for maximum effect. Not surprising, considering his skill at reading angles. Star Boy was clearly not fully interested in being here, but Val had been present when Dreamer had urged her boyfriend to learn how to defend himself against opponents who may be immune to his gravity powers.

Val stepped in gently to correct Thom's posture. Thom flinched, then nodded. Val smiled inwardly; Thom was one of the more athletic Legionnaires, but in a clumsy, brute force sort of way. Val knew that Thom was happiest pushing himself to lift heavier and heavier weights.

He spared an eye for the Cadets. Dolphin, with his ability to hold his breath indefinitely, already knew he would likely not be a full Legionnaire; his heart was set on joining Search & Rescue, and he pushed himself hard towards that dream. X-Bomb Betty, for all her beauty, was also incredibly dedicated. Many a Legionnaire had initially dismissed her, only to change their minds once realizing how hard she applied herself. Battering Ram was equally eager, though approached things with a bit more childlike joy. Being a Legion Cadet was still a big adventure to them. And finally, Paragon was someone who thought much like Val himself; pushing oneself to their best is just her life philosophy.

After another 15 minutes, Val clapped his hands. "Good work, everyone. I appreciate your diligence. I'll see you all next time."

As he dismissed the class, Dolphin and Battering Ram came over to gush. "Wow, I hear you all have a free day today!" Battering Ram was bouncing on their feet. "What are you all going to do in your free time?"

Val laughed a bit as Rebound and Star Boy came over. "We're just normal sentients; we each have our own interests," Val explained.

"Although, Blizzard and Chameleon were talking about getting everyone together for a VR game tournament," Rebound grinned. "You know Sega Square's new Ultimate Final Crisis XVI? It has every 21st century hero ever, even ones you've never heard of!"

"No way!" Dolphin nearly dropped his towel. "We have it? I hear the Enchantress and Doctor Light are mega overpowered; there was this holo of some dude comboing Doctor Light and Kole...!"

"So, you two are in?" Thom winked.

"I wish!" Battering Ram looked crestfallen. "We have that learning trip to Colu today..."

"Well, there will be other tourneys," Val smiled. "We'll make sure to get an invite to the next one."

A few meters over, Amp, Microbe, X-Bomb Betty and Paragon were chatting, too. "Oh, that fashion show sounds divine!" X-Bomb Betty stood on her toes. "Too bad we have to go on a trip to Colu!"

"I could use some new formal wear... the Cadet program has a lot of trips to UP offices planned," Paragon seemed slightly disappointed.

"Then we'll make sure you get an invite to the next one," Amp laughed. "Besides, if you corner Kinetix on a good day, she'll whip an outfit up for you on the spot."

"And sometimes you don't even need to ask," Microbe giggled.

****************************************************************************************************

"Well, are we doing this?" Timber Wolf snarled as he turned to Ferro and Wildfire. The three were standing outside of the VR room.

"Oh, we so are," Ferro made a motion of punching his open palm. He had heard from Element Lass about how Mentalla and Echo were going on a date, and he needed to let off some steam. But then... how could he expect Mentalla to care for a man trapped in iron form?

"Yeah, blasting stuff is more fun than playing video games. Any day," Wildfire noted. He knew Brin and Andy were both going through tough times; Brin with having his father - who had experimented on him - imprisoned on Legion World; and Andy, with some sort of girl troubles. Drake himself wasn't doing too badly; though he was basically a man trapped in energy form, his own life was going pretty well...

"May I join you?" Shikari rounded the corner, with Calorie Queen in tow.

"Kari, you are always welcome!" Drake beamed. "Right, guys?"

"Sure..." Brin muttered. "Let's just get in there."

Calorie Queen made a point of moving beside Brin. "Shredding stuff is the best way to relax, isn't it?"

Brin turned to Taryn and slowly smiled. "It is, and you get me."

"There's time for talk, and there's time for action," Taryn winked.

Ferro was grateful that his teammates couldn't see his teeth grit behind his mask. Great, even the ball of energy has better luck in the love department than I do...

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/09/23 11:43 AM.
Re: A Day in the Life
Invisible Brainiac #1023479 02/28/23 06:33 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Live Wire puffed his cheeks out as he played with his food. He locked eyes with Ultra Boy, and knew they were both thinking the same thing. Why, why, why had they agreed on this triple-married-couple date idea of Gravity and Density's?

Ultra Boy pointedly poured another silverale into his glass. All the while, Apparition, Gravity, and Saturn Girl were gossiping about how their mothers kept trying to give them marriage advice!

"Sorry, guys!" Garth perked up as he heard Density's voice on through their tele-plugs. Judging by Jo's reaction, he heard too. Jed himself was already slouching in his seat. "When Tel and I proposed this, I thought it would be like two hours tops, and then we could join the guys for some VR gaming... I didn't expect we'd be listening to in-law stories all night!"

"Eh, it's fine," Jo thought back. "Our partners are happy, the Silverale is good..."

"You know, boys, you can just excuse yourselves." Garth nearly spilled his drink as Imra's voice joined their chat. Garth, Jo and Jed all visibly paled as they turned to see Imra, Tinya and Tel all staring at them; the three each had a brow raised.

Imra made a show of tapping her temple.

"Angel, I..." Jo began.

"Otter, I..." Jed stammered.

"Imra..." Garth just said.

Tinya, Imra and Tel made their best angry faces.... and after five seconds, all burst out laughing.

"You three have no poker faces," Tinya gently elbowed Jo. "Go, have fun."

"We're having more fun without you," Tel's eyes twinkled. He pinched Jed's bottom discreetly. "Go on, Big Bear."

"You deserve to have fun, too," Imra kissed Garth on the forehead.

Blabbing their thanks, Garth, Jed and Jo ran out the door. Jo made sure to take the case of unopened silverale on the way out.

"Sigh, our poor husbands," Tel laughed once the three were out of earshot.

"Zoe says they're gathering in Rec Room A," Tinya grinned.

Imra picked up a tray of puff pastries. "If one of you will take those bottles of Tharrian Ice Wine, let's go and party!"

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/09/23 04:40 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1023496 03/01/23 08:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Chameleon and Spark, Chemical Kid and Invisible Kid, and Insect Queen and Particon were laughing as they watched Density, Live Wire and Ultra Boy running in the halls.

"So, I guess we did get our revenge after all!" Insect Queen quipped. "Our own little triple date outlasted the married couples'!"

"They're early, too!" Invisible Kid checked his Omnicom. "It's not for a half hour yet!"

"Was it THAT boring?" Spark stuck her tongue out. "Look at them run!"

The group chuckled again; Chemical Kid laughed so hard he had to hold on to Lyle. This made Particon laugh even more, and Insect Queen had to pat her on the back.

"Alas, I do have to go soon too," Chameleon smiled. "I have to help Blizzard get the VR gaming organized. Are any of you coming?"

"Us!" Chemical Kid and Invisible Kid raised their hands. "Unlike Gravity, we're more like Density - just one of the boys, except that we like boys," Invisible Kid joked. "I never did appreciate fashion... I'm invisible most of the time, anyway."

"And when I was a reporter, I avoided fashion beats like the Khundian Plague," Chemical Kid added.

"Well, we are also just like the girls," Particon smiled. Insect Queen gave her a knowing look; between the two of them, Particon liked fashion more. Insect Queen was largely indifferent to it; but they had both decided to attend the fashion show to get to know - and appreciate - their mainly-female teammates a bit more.

"Yeah, having to suffer through Element Lass' weekly shopping trips back on Xanthu has kind of killed all my appreciation for fashion," Insect Queen laughed.

"I'm hitting the fashion show too," Spark playfully said.

"But you hate fashion!" Chameleon protested.

"Yes, but I love annoying Kinetix," Spark grinned evilly.

****************************************************************************************************************
Kid Quantum wearily opened the door to her quarters. She had spent the last two hours catching up on messages and reports. Even with Marla doing admin full time, there were many things that the Legion leader HAD to approve! Triad, bless her, screened as much as she could, but...

"I really need to get a Deputy Leader soon... or better yet, step down and call for fresh elections," Jazmin muttered.

"You're doing a great job, but when it's time, it's time." Jazmin jumped for a moment. "Rokk!" she scolded as she turned the lights on. "I told you not to startle me like that!"

"I'm sorry!" Rokk spread his arms out in apology. "But you did such a great job at the briefing, and I know how much work you've been doing recently, so I wanted to surprise you..."

"You scamp," Jazmin smiled. She kissed Rokk firmly. "I was just about to shower up and call you. I had to postpone our last date, and I was thinking..."

"Great minds," Rokk slyly pulled out a basket of Martian rainbow strawberries and a bottle of Tharrian ice wine. "I take it we're skipping the VR gaming and the fashion show?"

"If we finish in time, we can go..." Jazmin's hands glowed as she encased her room in a quantum bubble. "You don't mind me freezing time for a couple of hours, eh?"

"I will gladly be a couple of hours younger than everyone else, if that means more quality time with you," Rokk crept up to Jazmin and pulled her into a long, deep kiss.

Invisible Brainiac #1023506 03/01/23 01:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

"Dear?" Element Lass tapped hesitantly on Sensor's door.

Candi could hear movement inside. She guessed that Sensor was checking who was visiting... and she was right.

The door whirred open, and her friend smiled at her. "Yes, Candi?"

"Have you heard about that wonderful fashion show that Kinetix is organizing?"

Sensor's tail coiled and uncoiled, a sign Candi recognized as anxiousness.

"I remember how you used to love hats..." Candi whispered.

"Yes, before my transformation," Sensor looked down at her hands. "It takes some getting used to, you know."

"I know," Candi looked down too. "I may look basically the same, but I miss smell-testing different perfumes, or the feeling of silk pajamas after a long day..."

"... I ..." Sensor wondered for a moment. Ferro, Wildfire, Element Lass - they all had lost their senses of taste, touch and smell. At least Sensor's only real changes were her physical form... she could still enjoy a whole roast chicken if she wanted.

Sensor drew herself up. "Well, we can still marvel at ourselves in the mirror, and enjoy time with our friends." Grabbing Candi by the hand, she pulled her down the hall. "Come on!"

Chameleon passed them in the hall and waved. Both waved back, then went back to discussing which shade of pink would best match Sensor's markings.

Sizzle frantically swiped on the screen in her room, each swipe calling up a different outfit. "Oh, this one is way too revealing! And this one makes me look like my grandma!"

Lamprey and Nightwind sat beside her. Lamprey was a bundle of nerves, too. "Does this make me look too high school?"

Nightwind sighed. "Girls, we don't have to overprepare!"

Sizzle and Lamprey both rounded on her. "But we're going out there in front of everyone!" Lamprey protested. "We have to look our best so we don't seem like noobs!"

Nightwind shook her head. "Girls, calm down! I swear, our teammates don't care!"

The doorbell sounded. Sizzle nervously ran to open it.

The door opened to reveal Violet. "Hey, we're gathering in Rec Room A!" Then she paused and pointed at the screen. "Oh wow, are you going to have Zoe conjure that up?"

Sizzle's cheeks turned even darker red than normal. "Oh, um..."

Violet gave a knowing grin. "Just make sure to be very precise and firm when you tell Zoe what you want. I remember the first time we girls went out... Zoe kept changing my outfits, until she made one too revealing and I had to shrink out of sight!"*

Lamprey and Sizzle began to goggle, while Nightwind leaned back with a satisfied smile. "No way!" Lamprey covered her mouth.

"Really, you?" Sizzle said.

Violet shrugged. "We were a new team. I was new... I'd never been off my homeworld before." She made a point of leaning in conspiratorially. "Pretty much all of us were like that when we were new... XS used to panic sometimes, and you should have seen how Apparition fought with her mom!"

"We may be Legionnaires, but we're all just human too," Nightwind added. "Now come on, let's go have some fun!"

As Lamprey and Sizzle chattered excitedly, Violet and Nightwind shared a wink as they exited the room.

Ib's notes:

1) L* 23!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/01/23 01:50 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1023508 03/01/23 01:49 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

************************************************************************************************

Blizzard's jaw dropped as he watched Gear working on the VR displays. "Do we really have THAT many VR titles?"

"And more," Gear grinned. "These are just the ones that support up to 12 players at a time!"

"Not even my dad had that many in his library!" Inferno whistled.

"There are perks to being a Legionnaire," Magno grinned. "I mean... it IS nice, being pampered a bit during our down time!"

"A bit?!" Blizzard shook his head. "None of my friends or family had anything close to this back on Tharr!"

"Neither did mine," Gear's eyes twinkled. "I come from a race of living tools, after all."

"Oh, uh..." Inferno scratched his head. "Well, uh, you're a Legionnaire now, and..."

Gear threw his head back and laughed. "Hey, hey, I'm over it, you don't need to be all sappy and supportive, it's fine!"

Blizzard and Magno made big shows of exhaling. "Whew, that's easier," Blizzard grinned. "Often, Zoe will come up to me and say something, like ask me if her outfit makes her look fat, or tell me about this thing Spark said, and I always don't know how to react!"

Magno chuckled. "Jenni is really sweet, but even she has her moments..."

The four continued chatting as they set up the drinks tables and arranged the seats.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

"... and can you believe, this was before he formally broke up with me* - Jo actually asked ME to help him pick a gift for Tinya's birthday?" Spider-Girl finished her story, even as her prehensile hair was split into ten different strands, each holding an empty glass.

"No!" XS pressed her hands to her mouth. "If Shvaughn had asked me to help pick a gift for M'Onel..." At Kinetix's and Triad Purple's looks, XS stammered. "I mean, before I started dating Dyrk!"

Kinetix telekinetically grabbed a pillow and beaned XS on the head. "You are NOT still crushing on M'Onel, are you?!"

"No!" XS stamped her foot. "I was just giving an example! Dyrk is the sweetest, kindest, cutest ever, and he's just for me!"

"Well, I don't mind admitting that Jo is a hot dish, but I wouldn't kiss him again unless my life depended on it!" Spider-Girl laughed.

"Chuck is really sweet, too," Triad Orange said quietly. "He always makes me feel special."

"That, he does," Triad Neutral sighed. "That, he does."

"Don't any of your boyfriends act like numbskulls sometimes, though?" Dreamer queried. "I mean, we know Sussa's stories about Jo... Don't get me wrong, Thom is a dear, but sometimes he can be so DENSE! Like one time, he asked my mother the name of her YOUNGER sister... except that was her older cousin!"

"No!" Kinetix, XS, Spider-Girl and all three Triads said in unison.

"Well, one time Brek told my mom she looked young for her age!" Kinetix began to giggle.

"And one time, Dyrk asked if my dad had gotten hair implants..." XS sighed. "And my dad was around the corner!"

The girls began laughing hysterically.

"Oh, I have one," Triad Purple began. She looked at Neutral and Orange, who nodded in approval. "So, it's RJ's birthday, yeah? RJ Brande, the man who used to bankroll all of us. We get him his favorite cake, and also his favorite fatty steak and rich wine... We set it at the table with a note "Happy birthday RJ!" Then we go to find RJ, bring him back, and..."

The other girls leaned forward.

"We come back... and Chuck is sitting there burping and going, "Oh, Mister Brande, nice to see you!" Purple cackled.

"I reacted first!" Orange couldn't hold back her tears. "Me! I said, Chuck, what were you thinking?!"

Orange was clutching her sides. "And... and.. and Chuck says, you told me there was a surprise, I thought it was for me!"

The room erupted into laughter. Dreamer was laughing so hard, she plopped down into the couch.

Five minutes later, they were still laughing.

IB's notes:

1) Spider-Girl and Ultra Boy used to date when in the Workforce together! (we never actually see Ultra Boy formally break up with Spider-Girl).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/02/23 02:57 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1023514 03/01/23 02:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Andromeda peeked hesitantly into the multi-labs. She could hear all the laughter and hooting going on upstairs; but she wasn't interested in twirling around in different costumes. No, she wanted to...

"... the most absurd proposal that ignored all sentient decency!" Gates was gesticulating widely. In front of them was a screen showing the United Planets Senate debates.

"It is indeed a rather extreme draft," Babbage mused. "Is it perhaps, a negotiating tactic?"

"I... Andromeda, you are here!" Brainiac 5 turned to look, and so did Gates and Babbage.

Andromeda could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks. She remembered Mentalla's counsel: just treat him like you would any other Legionnaire. "I didn't know you were interested in politics, Brainiac 5."

"I used to focus on the physical sciences..." Brainiac 5 admitted. "But Gates has shown me that politics makes for interesting study, too. Besides, Orin Fex's Colu has made some questionable maneuvers in the past*, and learning more about politics will help me counter that."

"I always say, curiosity is a true hallmark of intelligence!" Gates chirped.

"Is that why you sought us out, Andromeda?" Babbage questioned. "Did you know we were discussing politics?"

"Not quite, I try not to use my super senses to overhear things," Andromeda smiled. "I was just... thinking of... using my free time differently..."

"Ugh, yes, I do believe most of our teammates are indulging in the utmost consumerism upstairs!" Gates shook his head.

"Well, we are happy to have you here. Your input will be extremely valuable," Brainiac 5 smiled.

Andromeda tried not to smile too much as she sat down. She thought about what Mentalla and Dr. Ryk'rr had suggested: maybe she just had this weird obsession with Brainiac 5 because he saved her life, and that upended her old xenophobic, Daxamite-superior beliefs. If she felt he were treating her as an equal, then maybe she could move past that. "I look forward to a stimulating discussion then, gentlebeings!"

********************************************************************************************
"I'm sure you will wow them at the conference," M'Onel smiled down at Shvaughn.

"I'm sure I will," Shvaughn winked. She tiptoed to kiss M'Onel. "Thanks for showing me the stars earlier, Lar," she winked.

M'Onel bit his lip as he watched Shvaughn disappear into the Threshold. He loved this side of Shvaughn; to her, he wasn't Valor the Supreme Deity, or M'Onel the amazingly powerful Legionnaire. To her, he was the man that she loved and could share everything with. And when the red sun lamps were on, he could let her take control, and...

He couldn't stop grinning as he zipped over to the hatches. He could hear the vast majority of his teammates cheering each other on while mashing buttons on the VR controls, or laughing as they sashayed in their custom dresses. But neither of that interested him; he just wanted to relax outside.

He had spotted three of his teammates floating outside Legion World, and flew over to join them.

"I see you are all having some quiet," M'Onel smiled as he floated up to them. "Do you mind if I add my own silent company?"

"Shinings, M'Onel," Lume waved. "You are most welcome."

"Oh, M'Onel..." Umbra nodded at him, then turned away. "Come, enjoy the sight."

The White Witch looked at Umbra oddly, then turned to M'Onel. "I welcome anyone else who likes the silence and solitude of space, M'Onel."

M'Onel looked at Umbra. They had patrolled together some time ago*, but M'Onel had found Umbra so wrapped up in her honor, so intense about being perfect... no, he needed Shvaughn's ability to help him relax.

M'Onel settled for falling into silence.

Umbra pushed away her feelings of jealousy. She reminded herself that her main reasons for looking at M'Onel in the first place were because he would have contributed amazing genes to her bloodline... as part of being Shadow Champion, she owed her people and her ancestors at least one heir to her shadowcraft. If M'Onel had chosen to spend his life with Shvaughn Erin, so be it. Umbra could find another worthy of her attentions... and of her heart.

Lume looked askance at the shadows surrounding Umbra. It had noticed a similar behavior among its own kind before; those who wanted to be alone would unleash their brightest lumens, as a sign to others to stay away. Were Umbra's shadows the same? Well, that was her business, and Lume determined that it could best offer silent company.

The White Witch mused over everything they had learned. She wished that Dragonmage weren't on vacation now... she could really use his counsel. His youthful ideas... he often saw things that she did not...

She tried to put it out of her mind. They were supposed to relax, to be fresh.

She peered into the distance. "Oh! A star is forming there, yes?"

M'Onel trained his telescopic vision where Mysa pointed. "Good eye, Mysa! It is!"

"Another life-giver is born," Lume said quietly. "Beautiful."

"More life is always welcome," Umbra whispered.

The four Legionnaires continued to float in the inky blackness around them, every so often pointing out things of interest in the distance.

*****************************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Orin Fex is the leader of Colu, and the man responsible for sending Sharn Nux to help the Legion during the Robotica crisis. Sharn Nux ended up injuring Brainiac 5 and attempting to slash at COMPUTO with some sharp implants, so... uh.... not very effective. I have Orin Fex as a continued thorn in the Legion's side.

2) LSH 120-121, L* 77. But yeah, it was just them patrolling together... and frankly, M'On and Shvaughn had so much chemistry in Legion Worlds 1 that I fell in love with the idea of them as a couple!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/09/23 04:41 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1023519 03/01/23 04:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Mentalla almost didn't hear what Echo said, she was too taken by his amazingly chiseled features.

"... Delya?"

"Oh, sorry," Mentalla shook her head. "Was just lost in thought."

Echo smiled as he watched Mentalla blush. She was just so... so... so gorgeous, yet also so competent, so together... "Ah, I was just going to ask what you were going to do now?"

"Well, the gym was actually the last thing on my to do list," Mentalla smiled coyly. "So a bit of learning, a bit of working out..."

"Oh, mine too," Echo said quickly. "And we still have free hours to spare..."

Cosmic Boy and Kid Quantum strolled in front of them, hand-in-hand. "Oh hey, Delya, Troy!" Cosmic Boy waved.

"We're heading over to the others," Jazmin beamed. She seemed very satisfied. "You know, it's mainly the girls doing fashions, and mainly the boys VR-gaming..."

Mentalla and Echo looked at each other.

"Hey, fashion isn't my thing either," Jazmin grinned. "But I figure, I'll go say hi, grab a couple of drinks, then meet Rokk here in the cafeteria for some dessert before bed."

"It's nice being social for a bit, too," Rokk smiled.

Mentalla and Troy looked at each other again. "Well, maybe just for a little bit..." Delya said. "Do you have a preference, Troy?"

"I think..." Troy gulped. "I think I'll go where you go."

Jazmin and Rokk traded discreet grins. Delya's eyes were shining. "Why don't we go to the fashion show first, then the VR gaming, then maybe go for a nice walk in the Vyrgan habitat?'*

"Sounds like a great idea," Troy smiled. He followed Delya down the hallway. Rokk clasped Jazmin's hand as they watched their two teammates walking in front of them.

And behind them, none of the four noticed that the hallway was turning a blinding white.

"Brin, look out!" Calorie Queen yelled even as she punched at a lumbering VR behemoth.

"Thanks, Taryn," Timber Wolf snarled as he landed on his hands. He pivoted around and kicked at the assassin creeping up behind him.

"Don't look at his beautiful body," Calorie Queen scolded herself as she watched Timber Wolf somersault into a fighting stance.

"Girl knows her stuff," Timber Wolf thought as he watched Calorie Queen break an inertron beam into two, eat one half and use the other half as a staff to clear a radius around her.

"Oops, mind your head!" Shikari quipped as she slammed a struggling attacker into a low-hanging branch.

"Oh, Kari, your combat quips just get better and better," Wildfire laughed as he angled himself so he could blast at a sniper he had spotted.

Ferro grit his teeth as he punched at his own target. "I should be happy for my friends, not envious!" he mentally kicked himself.

Then he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. "Um, gang, is it just me or..."

He didn't finish his sentence before the VR room faded into nothingness.

Andromeda, Brainiac 5, Gates and Babbage had begun a thought exercise on countering the Wellurians' false beliefs that they had been terrorized by the Legion. So engrossed were they, that they didn't even think of reacting before they were swallowed up into the aether.

Tenzil Kem and Impulse were cursing and grinning as their respective player characters**, Elongated Man and the Manhattan Guardian, slammed into one another. Beside them, Karate Kid as the Batman was pummeling a fleeing Black Lightning, played by Live Wire. Ultra Boy, as Lobo, was fending off an attack from Magno, who had chosen Kyle Rayner.

"No fair!" laughed Blizzard, whose character Firestorm had just been knocked out by a Doctor Light-Kole combination operated by Inferno and Density. The two high-fived each other.

"Don't gloat yet," Gear laughed, as he barreled into them with his Lex Luthor. Chameleon followed, commanding the Martian Manhunter to use his eyebeams.

Star Boy's character Starman blasted Cosmic Boy's Doctor Polaris, while Rebound's Flash crashed into Chemical Kid's Doctor Alchemy. Chlorophyll Kid caught his teammate with his chosen Floronic Man.

"What IS it with all these 21st century Doctors?" Invisible Kid quipped to Kid Quantum, who just shrugged.

Echo was explaining to Mentalla the concept of combo attacks, when a bright whiteness cut through the recreation room.

Lori Morning was bored out of her mind, watching these older kids twirling around in gowns and dresses. Well, technically most of them would be young adults in her native 20th century, and they were definitely considered adults now in the 31st. But she still thought of them as big kids.

"Work it, Mandalla!" Kinetix cheered as Mandalla sashayed down the makeshift catwalk in her gold-and-green gown. Behind her, Apparition strutted in a throwback one-piece with bell-bottoms.

Violet and Amp were eagerly fluffing Spider-Girl's long hair, while Element Lass was picking out some shoes. "These will go perfect with your naturally red hair, dear!"

XS buzzed around the room, making sure everyone had enough snacks and refreshments. Sensor threw her head back and laughed, as Dreamer told her and Insect Queen a story about Star Boy's snoring. Particon was admiring Saturn Girl from a distance. Saturn Girl didn't notice; she was trying to stand still while Microbe pinned a sash to her dress. Sizzle and Triad were eagerly picking out outfits, while Nightwind was experimenting with how her shawl draped around her.

Spark just leaned back, gossiping with Gravity about which of their male teammates kept the most immaculate facial hair. "Trust me, that Impulse trims his beard daily, he must considering how it looks the same every single day!" Gravity winked.

Lori grumbled. "Come on Proty, let's go play some VR games..." and as Lori stood up, Proty slipped from her shoulder. She bent down to catch him, not noticing her surroundings vanish.

Outside Legion World, Umbra cocked her head. What was that blinding flash that made the edge of her darkfield tingle? "M'Onel, do you...?"

The White Witch felt the surge first. "Get behind me!" she desperately called out to her teammates as she wove a spell of protection.

"I can't keep my eyes open!" M'Onel gasped, his shock palpable.

"It's too bright!" Lume cried out.

Desperately, Mysa tried to draw her teammates to her. But she could feel their forms slipping away. There was one gamble she could make, one spell she could try. She quickly uttered a spell of protection; it might not be strong enough to keep her teammates completely from injury, but maybe it would keep them alive...

The blinding flash enveloped Legion World, drowning out everything else.

Mysa didn't know how long she floated, while trying to stop the ringing in her ears and the jarring flashes in her eyes. As she opened her eyes, her vision coalesced into the worried face of Impulse.

"Mysa, are you okay?" the Legion's medical officer asked.

"Who else is left?" Mysa stammered.

Impulse turned to look sadly at their company. Tenzil Kem had removed his sunglasses, his face somber. "I can't hail anyone!" Chlorophyll Kid stammered as he fiddled with his flight ring. Tomb floated silently, looking awkwardly at Mandalla, who was cuddling Lori Morning.

"What do we do, Mysa?" Mandalla asked, shaking.

"I... Who else is left?" Mysa repeated.

Tomb locked eyes with her, and Mysa knew. "Mysa... you're the only Active Legionnaire left."

Ib's notes:

1) Legion World has sections that resemble Legionnaire homeworlds - as seen in Legion 3 and Legion Secret Files 3003!

2) The VR game based on 21st century heroes and villains, actually appeared in LSH 119 smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/13/23 06:47 AM.
Stepping Up
Invisible Brainiac #1023534 03/02/23 01:25 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery. Currently the only Active Legionnaire whose whereabouts are known.

Reserve Legionnaires (also Legion Support Staff)

Chlorophyll Kid, Ral Benem of Mardru; accelerated plant growth (Disaster Relief & Development)
Impulse, Kent Shakespeare of Earth (United Kingdom: England); enhanced speed, strength, durability and recuperative abilities (Legion World chief medical doctor)
Matter-Eater Lad, Tenzil Kem of Bismoll; consume and digest all forms of matter (Legion World head chef)
Mandalla, Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos; projects a thought-sphere that affects the target's mental and physical functions (Legion medical staff)
Tomb, unpronounceable of Sarccus; controls others' bodily functions (Legion medical staff)

Reserve Legionnaires (Not Legion Cadets or Support Staff)

Magnetic Kid, Pol Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis (magno-ball athlete)
Thunder, Cece Beck of 90th century Binderaan; SHAZAM-empowered human with enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina, wisdom and flight powers

Honorary Legionnaires (they get flight rings too!)

Rene Jacques Brande of unknown; telepathy of unknown levels; Legion Founder/Financier and United Planets Ambassador to the Second Galaxy
Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Ireland and Montenegro); Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer

Other Legion Support Staff or residents of Legion World (staff also get flight rings as a matter of practicality, but are not honored to the same level as Honorary Legionnaires

Gigi Cusimano of Mars; Science police lieutenant and commander of the Science Police contingent on Legion World
Lori Morning of 20th century Earth (USA); RJ Brande's adopted daughter
Marla Latham of Earth (Germany and Sweden); Legion adult advisor
M'rissey of Mercury; advanced scenario modelling; manager of the Legion's Disaster Relief and Development arm
Proty of Vyrga; shapeshifting and limited telepathy
Theena of unknown; attached to a symbiotic alien able to open "viewscreens" allowing communication across distances (Communications, Search & Rescue)

********************************************************************************************

Tears of effort were streaking down Theena's face. "I'm sorry... I'm at my limit! I can't find them at all!"

"It's okay, Theena, it's okay," Impulse gently patted her on the back. "You did your best."

Marla Latham rose. "We've done our part, now we need to buy time for the White Witch to do hers."

"I will depart right away," White Witch said. "what I felt was definitely magic... and perhaps some of my fellows can help us."

"About that," M'Rissey leaned forward. "I took the liberty of calling for help."

What appeared to be a bolt of lightning struck the conference table, and a dark cloud filled the room - which soon cleared up to reveal Thunder.

"I came as soon as I could!" Thunder stepped forward. "Are they really..."

"Gone, but we will find them," Marla Latham said firmly.

"By damn, we will!" RJ Brande slammed his fist on the desk. "We can't let the galaxy know about this, either. We need to keep this sealed among us - except for the highest levels of the United Planets, of course!"

"I've sworn my deputies on Legion World to secrecy," Gigi Cusimano stood up. "And requested for temporary back-up directly from Commander Hagbard."

"And I've sent a communique to the Chiefs of Staff - and the Presidents' Office," Shvaughn Erin tried to hide her worry. If M'Onel was at some magical lunatic's mercy...

"Thanks for coming running back from your conference, lass," RJ Brande smiled gently. "And thanks for copying mein on the message to President Wazzo. I'll brief her personally, once her staff give us a time."

"And what can the rest of us do?" Mandalla trembled a bit; not quite out of fear, but out of the momentousness of everything.

"For all intents and purposes, you are the active Legion now," Marla Latham smiled. "And I expect you will all act the part. I've called in the Heroes of Lallor and the Amazers..."

"... and I've also actually put the Workforce on alert," M'Rissey added.

Marla rounded on him. "You what? The Workforce don't have the same kind of Reservist arrangement that the other two teams have!"

M'Rissey leaned back, as if punched. "I just thought-! Mathematically, we need their help as well. And I didn't reveal the Legionnaires' disappearance!"

Marla sighed, as he stepped back. "That is a fair point, and I'm glad you didn't tell them. Still..." he drew himself up. "We don't quite have protocols for situations where the entire Active membership disappears... but I believe that the White Witch, as the only Active Legionnaire; and I, as head of the Legion's Support Staff, should at least have been consulted."

"I apologize..." M'Rissey looked downcast. "I am at my best dealing with numbers, not crises."

"It's fine, as long as you remember for next time," Marla turned friendlier. "Now, I do think you and Theena will make an excellent pair on Monitor Duty, and..."

A deafening crunch was heard at the door. "Are we under attack?" Lori Morning clutched Proty to her.

"They won't get far." Mandalla unleashed her thought-sphere at the door, and Tomb activated his power as well. "Ah... a Braalian," he muttered.

"Oh, I have an idea who that is..." Gigi Cusimano muttered, putting away the blaster she had drawn. She ran to the door and peeked through the sensors. Giving a sigh of recognition, she tapped the door open...

... and Magnetic Kid fell splat on his back on the floor.

"Did I make him too dizzy?" Tomb asked, peering at Pol Krinn's face.

"Rokk... Have you found my brother?!" Pol demanded.

"Um, th-this one was me..." Chlorophyll Kid sheepishly admitted.

Marla sighed.

"I'm summoning the robot crews as we speak," M'Rissey volunteered, eager to make better.

"Okay, everyone," Marla clapped his hands. "I suggest we act normal. If M'Rissey and Theena can man the Monitor Board, while our Reservists start mobilizing available Cadets... then the White Witch can start her search."

Behind Marla, Matter-Eater Lad bit nervously into a half-eaten chunk of titanium. He had already changed into his Legion-style uniform. "I guess it's out of the kitchen, and into the fire..." he muttered.

Re: Stepping Up
Invisible Brainiac #1023536 03/02/23 01:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Thanagar

Uncanny Amazers of Xanthu - have a cross-Reservist arrangement with the Legion

Night Girl, Lydda Jath of Kathoon; super-strength in darkness
Porcupine Pete, Peter Dursin of Earth (Jamaica and Mexico); ejects quills from his body
Radion, Roy Travich of Earth (Italy and Madagascar); flight and emission of radiation
Spectrum, Ulu Vakk of Lupra; changes the color of people and objects

Reserve Legionnaires (Still in the Legion Cadet program)

Arachno of Arachnidia; enhanced abilities of spiders
Comet Queen, Grava of Quaal III; super-speed flight and emission of comet-like gases
Flying Fox of H'lven; levitation, enhanced agility and strength, claws
Veilmist of Khundia and ??; teleportation

Other Legion Cadets

Aquamarine of Mellorus; induces transformations in self and others to land-based, water-based, or air-based forms
Uplift, Cera Kesh of Earth (Antarctica); levitation

******************************************************************************************************

Thanagar has a rich history of innovation and technology, far advanced beyond that of Earth, and more practical than Colu. It remains one of the most urbanized planets of this century. Considered war-like and violent by most other UP worlds, Thanagar is not typically a destination visited by offworlders.

- excerpt from 21st Century Powers: What are These Planets Like Now?

******************************************************************************************************

Five minutes ago, M'Rissey had mobilized the Uncanny Amazers to travel to Thanager, where massive technological failures were being reported. Atmos, Konk! and Kal Bodo had stayed behind to defend Xanthu, but more than half the Amazers - supported by some of the more advanced Legion Cadets - had made directly for the Thresholds.

Zaatar Mol didn't know any of that though. The dark-skinned youth, long hair flowing behind him, was screaming as his one-sentient rider plunged towards the highway below.

"Like, don't let your nova burn, starshine!" Comet Queen chirped as she grabbed Zaatar under his arms, pulling him to safety. "Comet Queen has got you!"

"Who?!" A confused Zaatar tried to catch his breath.

"I'm like, the nebula-streamiest future Legionnaire you ever saw!" Comet Queen beamed.

"Give him some room, Grava," Porcupine Pete called out. Pushing Grava's reply out of his mind, he concentrated on the falling rider. It could kill someone below, unless... taking careful aim, Pete generated two long quills from his arms and fired them just so. The flew with a twang, pinning the rider to a pillar just so.

"Nice aim, Pete!" Color Kid called out. He was flying beside Night Girl, coating her in blackness, while she carried a disabled grav-bus up to safety. Color Kid reflected for a moment; they had brought a large group to Thanagar, because Thanagarians loved air travel. Nearly every Thanagarian had some sort of hovercraft or artificial wings. And with technology failing... there were a lot of accidents waiting to happen.

Aquamarine flew after them, unsure what to do. There was so much chaos, and... She gasped as an open-air four-seater began to plummet from the sky.

"Aquamarine! I can't leave Night Girl - you have to help them!" Color Kid called out. The team had debated, and had agreed that they would need to involve the newest Cadets - hastily recalled from their field trip. There was just too much to do. But the more experienced heroes would guide them closely.

"But I..."

"Use your power!" Night Girl urged.

"...oh! Of course!" Aquamarine concentrated on herself, making her form sprout wings. Then she flew after the craft."

"You might not be strong enough!" Color Kid coached. "Use your power on them, too!"

"Why didn't I think of that?" Aquamarine mumbled. She pointed at the occupants of the craft, making them grow real wings, too. They gasped as they found themselves aloft.

"What happened? an older woman cried. "I have wings?!"

"It's just my power, ma'am," Aquamarine gently said. "As soon as we have you all on land, I'll reverse it... but that was the only way I could save you. Now, follow me, please." Aquamarine looked around for a nearby rooftop.

"I don't understand," Arachno questioned as she fired webbing at a pair of Thanagarian Hawk-Police, whose artificial wings had failed. Being careful not to coat the police officers themselves, she tangled their wings, pulling them to safety. "Where are the Legionnaires? There are too many innocents here for us to help!"

"They're just busy," Radion muttered. "Secret mission, or something." He knew he was a terrible liar, and just wanted to concentrate on the job. Thankfully, his flight ring and Omnicom still worked. "I have to get to the Zaporizhia Power Plant. Failsafes are in danger of collapsing, but I can absorb the radiation."

"Let me help you. I can get you there faster." Since failing her Legion exam, Veilmist had come to realize the need for collaboration. "I'll drop you off, then come back here to help." At Radion's nod, Veilmist's tell-tale purple energy signature erupted, and the pair vanished.

Watching them leave, Uplift bit her lip. "Um..." she had spotted two young men clinging to the edge of a building. She quickly flew over to them. "I'm not very strong, but if I can hold you just a bit..." Sweat dripped down her face as she focused her power. "Can you... can you boost yourself up?"

Porcupine Pete flew up behind her. He had read the files of all the Cadets with them, and knew that Uplift's power was still budding. He readied a few quills, just in case. But he could clearly see the impact of Cera's power; the two young men were visibly being pushed up by an outside force! "You're doing great, Cera," he whispered. Uplift smiled gratefully.

"I can... I can.... ah!" One managed to pull himself up, and Uplift gave him a last boost as he did. He quickly scrambled to help his friend over. The two sat down, huffing.

"Thank you, miss!" The other one heaved. "I wouldn't have had the strength to climb up without the little push you gave!"

Too tired to speak, Uplift just smiled happily. Pete tapped her on the shoulder in reassurance.

About a block away, Flying Fox was struggling. "Hey, can someone tell this kid to stop squishing me?" The mammalian Cadet had been helping Thanagarians out of a bus that was nestled on a half-dozen of Pete's quills. But a young boy had latched onto him.

"Pleaase, Mister Dog, I'm scared!" whined the kid. "I was going to go to my grandma, and...."

"I am a fox! A flying fox!" the Cadet wiggled in vain. "Look, I don't want to hurt you...!"

"That won't be necessary." Veilmist had reappeared, and with a snap of her fingers she teleported Flying Fox out of the child's grasp. As the child gasped in surprise, Flying Fox flew nearer, though careful to keep out of reach. "Look, kid, I know you're scared, but I'm with the Legion. We'll help you, but you have to let us help you and other people, okay?"

The kid nodded tearfully.

"Good, now tell me where your grandma lives. And the nice lady and I will take you there." Veilmist did her best to give a reassuring smile, though she showed a bit too much teeth. The child recoiled a bit.

"Eh, she's just had a bad burrito," Flying Fox distracted the child. "Okay, if I show you my Omnicom, can you tell me where your grandma lives?"

"They're not doing too badly," Porcupine Pete thought as he threw a few more quills. "Some of these might make full Legion status after all!"

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/11/23 12:23 PM.
Stepping Up
Invisible Brainiac #1023552 03/03/23 01:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Takron-Galtos

Chlorophyll Kid, Ral Benem of Mardru; accelerated plant growth (Disaster Relief & Development)
Mandalla, Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos; projects a thought-sphere that affects the target's mental and physical functions (Legion medical staff)
Matter-Eater Lad, Tenzil Kem of Bismoll; consume and digest all forms of matter (Legion World head chef)

Catspaw, April Dumaka of Earth (Ghana and Tanzania); enhanced agility, speed and claws, cat-like senses
Vision, Rhent Ustin of Earth (Egypt and Spain); microscopic, telescopic, heat, freeze, and hypnotic vision

Other Legion Cadets

Battering Ram, Louie Lee of Pluto; concussive force blasts
Dream Boy and Dream Girl; Apollo and Artemis Chiang of Eros; charismatic attraction of those attracted to their sex
Polecat, Dafe Meron of Venus; emits a foul stench
Swallowtail of Swizzar; flight, scales from wings can refract light and cause effects such as hallucinations, sleep, paralysis
X-Bomb Betty, Betty Shell of Ventura; causes small explosions

Given its importance to the United Planets' police and legal systems, more investment in technological innovation and qualified personnel is recommended. The current Warden is highly competent, but must be given the resources to defend against external attacks.

- excerpt from United Planets Senate briefing

"Some of our failsafes are working, but only in Blocks C and D!" Officer Neep Liddle called out from his station. Well, one of the guards' stations; the poor fellow had fallen to pieces in panic at the chaos erupting around them. Neep had often pondered at how "rigid-forms", as some Durlans called non-shapeshifters, often had so much trouble dealing with change...

"We have to herd the prisoners there!" Warden Wafil turned to the Legion contingent sent to assist her.

"Leave it to us, Ma'am!" Matter-Eater Lad grinned. Tenzil wasn't used to being called that; as a Reservist, he was still better-known as Tenzil Kem, Legion Head Chef extraordinaire. Sprock, taking on the Matter-Eater Lad name was meant as a joke, like his alternate universe counterpart had confided...

Mandalla nodded at him, as did Chlorophyll Kid - though Ral trembled a little. Combat was NOT his cup of tea. But the three Reservists had planned carefully before arriving; they had selected mainly relatively level-headed Cadets, and had split the group up into balanced teams. Hopefully.

As they headed out, Warden Wafil moved closer. "Matter-Eater Lad, may I have a word before you go?" Tenzil looked at his squad - they were waiting patiently, out of earshot. "What is it, Warden?"

"This is just like when those four magical elementals disrupted tech across the galaxy - is this related?"*

Tenzil blanched. "We don't know for sure yet, Ma'am." He met the Warden's eyes. "But we are investigating. And yes, it does appear to be related to magic."

The Warden shook her head. "Thanks, good to know. Be safe out there, Legionnaires." As she walked away, Tenzil could still hear her muttering about "sprocking unpredictable magic".

Chlorophyll Kid was glad that his squad had the most cooperative of the Cadets. Then he could concentrate on walling off sections of the hallways, to draw any prisoners down the Legion's planned route. He stepped back, marveling at the prickly Phlonian Tumbling Thornbushes he had placed to seal off one branch of the intersection. These plants didn't have roots per se, but when they found a surface they liked, they managed to adhere... perfect for an indoor area.

X-Bomb Betty called out from the next intersecting point. "Mr. Benem... are you sure I can...?"

"It's f-fine, Betty," Ral smiled. "We c-cleared it all with the Warden. She said, and I quote, "As l-long as you don't bring the ceiling down over our heads, do what you have to do! We can sprocking clean up later!" As he tossed a few more seeds, he also called out "Please, you can call me Ral." Ral was secretly pleased with himself; when he had first left his homeworld, he would have been absolutely tongue-tied at such a beautiful woman as Betty. But now... he had only tripped over a couple of words. What a win!

"Okay, Ral," Betty smiled. She concentrated her power at a mass of furniture the prison guards had carried this over. One *boom* later, and another hallway was blocked by so much debris.

Vision was staring off in the distance. "I see the next intersection over there," he pointed.

"Okay, team, let's go to it," Ral smiled.

"Hallways are sealed," Ral called. "We're ready, Tenzil."

"Okay, team," Tenzil looked at his squad. "Show's ours."

"Finally!" Catspaw unsheathed her claws. She could smell the mass of prisoners on the other side of the door, hear them pounding on it... She was eager to charge at them.

"Ready?" Tenzil asked the others. Polecat nodded nervously, while Battering Ram could barely stop themselves from bouncing up and down. They had never dreamed they would go on a real mission so soon after becoming a Cadet!

"Okay, three, two, one... now!" Tenzil entered the access codes the Warden had given him, opening up the door to the common room. The door swung open to reveal a half-dozen stunned prisoners, surprised that the door they had been trying to open finally did.

"Hey, it's that Legion Chef!" one pointed at Tenzil.

"And I'm not alone," Tenzil smiled wickedly. "Now, Polecat!"

Dafe Meron stepped forward, his small antennae tingling. Then he let out the foulest stench he could emit.

"What the sprock!" the lead prisoner gagged as he dropped to his knees.

"It's like the clouds of Venus over here!" another one swayed unsteadily. "Run!"

"You better!" Catspaw, claws bared, gave her best snarl and leaped forward. Wearing her transuit, she was unaffected by Polecat's stench, and began slashing through the air with glee.

Tenzil looked in approval; Catspaw was giving a great show, while being careful not to actually hurt anyone.

"You sprocking nassheads!" A rather large, orange-skinned, one-eyed prisoner came charging at Tenzil. He carried an uprooted table over his head.

"Tsk, tsk," Tenzil wagged his finger. Taking aim, he spit at the table. The prisoner stopped in his tracks as he felt his load lighten; he looked up, goggling like a fish, as he watched it dissolve in thin air.

"This is what happens when you make a Bismollian mad," Tenzil flew up. "Now imagine what happens if I spit ON you?"

The prisoner dropped the remnants of the table and ran screaming down the room.

At another corner of the room, Battering Ram was sending beams of force to herd the prisoners down the other exit. Their aim wasn't yet the best, but their goal wasn't to actually hit anyone; it was to scare them so they would be herded down the path that Chlorophyll Kid's team had cleared. And so Battering Ram took delight in letting their shots go wild, damaging walls, hitting furniture, and making as much noise as possible!

"Okay, gang, we've got them on the run. Now, let's move out!" Tenzil called over the telepathic earplugs. Grinning, the four began to advance on the mass of prisoners, driving them slowly through the one remaining exit in the room.

Mandalla floated above the large open atrium. This was one of the areas with working failsafes, but she knew that her squad would make much better crowd control than any prison system.

"Are you all feeling ready?" she asked her squad,; she had distributed them in three equidistant points around the room, so each could work without disturbing the others.

"Ready and excited," Swallowtail fluttered her wings nervously. This would be her first time using her powers in actual battle!

"For sure," twins Dream Boy and Dream Girl both gave a thumbs-up.

"Okay, Chlorophyll Kid says the rush will be here any moment..." Mandalla looked towards the open entrance. She could hear the sounds of running and screaming coming closer, closer, closer...

She watched as the first of the prisoners ran through. "Wait until they get to the middle of the room," she reminded.

"The last of them have passed me!" Vision called over the flight ring network. He had concealed himself just outside of the atrium.

"Okay, it's showtime!" Mandalla called. She quickly unleashed her thought-sphere over her portion of the room. She had trouble targeting it; at least, she could not selectively control who was affected in the area it covered. She could make it small enough to affect only one person. But once it expanded, any caught in it were affected.

Not a problem when subduing a rioting mob, however.

She watched in satisfaction as any prisoner caught in its area began to sway and sit down in confusion.

Swallowtail's shimmering scales rained down on the prisoners in her area. The diminutive Cadet flapped her wings for all their worth, unleashing a sleeping powder on all who were caught in it. A few prisoners resisted, even as their companions dropped like bundles of inertron. Shifting gears on those, Swallowtail triggered a cascade of paralyzing scales to fall, instead. One by one, those still standing also fell. These last ones remained awake, but immobile.

And on the far end, Dream Girl and Dream Boy began turning on the charm. Between the two of them, 98% of the prisoners began to swoon.

"Absolutely gorgeous!" "Hey, toots!" "You looking for a good time?" came the calls.

The twins looked at each other, and grinned. Nothing they hadn't heard before. Controlling the intensity and effects of their powers, they slowly shifted their control to put their targets into more of a trance-like state.

The 2% of unaffected prisoners looked around them, stunned. One pointed at the twins. "It must be those two! Get 'em!"

"Why? I'm not affected, I'll just make a break for it!" said one, who began to run.

"Hey!" Dream Boy said, unsure of what to do. He knew that a very few asexual sentients would be unaffected by their powers, but...

"Shut up!" one prisoner's eyes began to glow.

"Apollo!" Dream Girl cried out at her brother.

"We're not having any of that!" Mandalla's foot connected with the prisoner's face, knocking him out. "Tenzil, Ral, Vision, the others are yours!"

Dream Girl and Dream Boy gasped as Matter-Eater Lad slammed into another fleeing prisoner; while Vision's eyes unleashed streams of freezing cold to stop another in her tracks. Chlorophyll Kid's tumbleweeds swept up the last few.

"Oh, thank you!" Dream Girl gasped.

"We just froze up..." Dream Boy said sheepishly.

"Hey, it happens," Mandalla said soothingly. "You're still in training, after all. Remember, you should be training in VR scenarios; we only brought you here now because it's an emergency."

"Yeah, you did really well, kids," Tenzil hugged them both tight. He took one last look around the atrium, to be sure that no prisoner was left standing. "We all did great. Banyo-shakes on me when we get back!"

IB's notes:

1) Elements of Disaster, L* 71-74. They affected Takron-Galtos, too!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/11/23 12:25 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1023564 03/03/23 11:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Colu

Impulse, Kent Shakespeare of Earth (United Kingdom: England); enhanced speed, strength, durability and recuperative abilities (Legion World chief medical doctor)
Tomb, unpronounceable of Sarccus; controls others' bodily functions (Legion medical staff)

Reserve Legionnaires (Not Legion Cadets or Support Staff)

Magnetic Kid, Pol Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis (magno-ball athlete)

Dragonwing, Marya Pai of Earth (Singapore and Tibet); breathes fire and secretes acid venom

Other Legion Cadets

Calamity, Eryk Davis Ester of Touston; disintegrates objects uncontrollably
Dolphin, F'e1lpz of Dili-Tawi; can hold his breath indefinitely
Healer, Mend'rr of Jaquaa; accelerates natural healing by borrowing strength from others
Neuron, A'rmie of Gil'd; telepathy, electricity generation
Paragon, Solana Xatu of Korugar; boosts others' confidence

Perhaps driven by pride and ego, Colu's current government led by Orin Fex is more of a potential foe than a potential ally. A recent mission led by Brainiac 5 has hopefully lulled Orin Fex into perceiving the Legion as altruistic and harmless, while allowing the team to determine if he has laid any immediate plans to weaken us.

- excerpt from the Legion Espionage Squad files

"Orin Fex?" Impulse turned to face Colu's leader - a man that he knew was not pleased with the Legion. Orin Fex had attempted many times to sabotage Robotica's new peace with the United Planets, and had even tried to spy on the Legion. So Impulse was determined to be as careful as he could in dealing with this man.

Yet, Orin Fex looked like a shell. Unsurprising; Colu was one of the UP worlds most dependent on technology, after all.

"Hmm?" he turned towards Impulse.

"Orin Fex... how long has the Coluan Sleepnet been off?" Impulse asked. Brainiac 5 had explained it, but Kent still tried to grasp the concept. The Sleepnet was some sort of information-sharing network that Coluans used to share ideas while asleep... and its loss would have grave consequences indeed. Coluan society had been on shaky ground during the brief emergence of the Elements of Disaster*.

"Too long... days..." Orin Fex muttered, staring into space.

"He's completely out of it!" Magnetic Kid shook his head. "I thought Brainiac 5 said the Coluans were working on contingency plans in case the Sleepnet went offline again?"

"Either the plans weren't finished, or..." Impulse trailed off, afraid to consider the implications.

"Or? Or what?" Dragonwing spat.

"Or... this Sleepnet breakdown is worse than the last one was?" Healer asked tentatively.

"Spot on, Healer," Impulse said. "We have to assume the worst."

"I'm sure we can handle it," Paragon smiled.

"The sooner we do, the sooner we can find my brother and the rest of the Legionnaires," Magnetic Kid sighed.

Impulse tried not to frown. This attitude wasn't helping. "I want you all to look around the room, see if you can learn anything useful," he told the Cadets. As the others scampered off, Kent went up to Pol. "Pol, I know you're worried about Rokk, but..."

"It's my mom and dad!" Pol snapped. "Rokk vanished into the aether before, and it nearly killed them!** He only came back after a year, and... mom nearly drank herself to death, and dad cried every night, and..."

"Pol, believe me, I know it's tough," Kent said. He had seen many a patient break down before, and knew that he needed to be firm. "I know you're worried, so am I. But we're here on a mission, a lot of innocents depend on us..." Kent watched Pol's anguished face. "Look, we had to flee into another reality before***.... and we found the original Legionnaires, and we came back, and we retook Legion World and saved all the hostages... let's let Mysa and Thunder do their job, okay? We can increase their chances of success by doing ours."

Pol shook his head. "... You're right, Kent. You're right. I'm sorry."

"it's called being human," Kent smiled. "Come on, let's go do Legiony stuff."

Pol chuckled at Kent's reference to the informal battle cry they had adopted, when they had kept the Legion going all that time ago.***** "Let's do Legiony stuff, Legionnaires!"

"Okay, Cadets!" Kent called. "Tell me what you've found, and then we'll head out and save people!"

Dragonwing rolled her eyes as she watched Dolphin dive again into the water, and surface bringing two more Coluans to safety. The lean youth had an amazing swimmer's build... and no powers other than holding his breath. Yet, here he was, being much more effective than she herself was!

"Magnetic Kid, tell me again why I'm here?!" she snapped. "My powers are best suited for fighting, but there's nobody to fight! Calamity and I aren't helpful here at all!"

Magnetic Kid glanced over at Dragonwing. Behind him, a large sheet of metal floated, with half a dozen gibbering Coluans seated on it. Pol had created a sort of fence around the edges to ensure none fell off.

"Are you sure Calamity's not doing anything?" Pol asked. He pointed, and Dragonwing's eyes followed.

Calamity had his eyes closed, even as he concentrated on the walls of the sinking watercraft. Dragonwing watched in shame as the walls crumbled into nothingness. "Whew, time to scoot," Calamity whispered; his control over his powers was still spotty, and he didn't want to risk causing any more damage than needed.

Opening an entrance meant Dolphin could swim in; and in seconds, Dolphin had emerged carrying a Coluan child.

"Maybe you can find some other trapped people, and use your acid to free them?" Pol asked.

"Yeah, good idea..." Dragonwing sheepishly mumbled as she took off.

A few klicks away, Neuron floated silently over a ruined cityscape. It had marveled at how advanced Colu seemed to be, with towering skyscrapers everywhere. Yet, with technology intermittently failing all over the galaxy, Neuron realized that Colu's advancement was both a blessing and a curse. "There," Neuron directed. "My telepathy senses some trapped Coluans. I will help pinpoint their location."

Following Neuron's instructions, Impulse jogged over to a collapsed building. Paragon flew and followed behind. "Is it safe to rip this fallen wall off?" Impulse asked.

"Nobody is directly behind it..." Neuron answered.

"Good." Impulse punched a hole in the wall, then tore an opening through it.

"Anyone here?" he asked.

A few scattered, muffled cries came from inside.

Paragon helpd her glow-lamp up. "Hello, who's here?"

A young female Coluan trembled as she took tentative steps forward. "Children... here..."

"Hey, it's okay, it's okay," Paragon smiled as she drew nearer and activated her power. "Keep calm, you can make it out. Is anyone too injured to walk?"

Two dozen children shook their heads no. Impulse quickly scanned them, to see if any did have serious injuries; none appeared to.

"Okay then, let's all file out properly, and we can go out in the sunlight again," Paragon pointed towards the opening.

Impulse shook his head in amazement as Paragon single-handedly cleared the building. He flew ahead to where Tomb and Healer were working feverishly. Between the two of them, Impulse had little use for his own medical knowledge; Tomb focused on mending wounds and minor injuries, while Healer gave a boost to the most injured cases.

Watching the strain on Healer's face, Impulse approached. "Healer, I know your healing draws on energy... are you channeling your own?"

An exhausted Healer's nod told Impulse all he knew. "Use mine, instead. You need your own strength to keep doing this."

Healer smiled gratefully, and touched Impulse's arm. Kent soon felt himself growing more tired. But he watched as the wounds of Healer's current patient knit themselves in front of his eyes. That was the most important thing right now; saving as many as possible.

IB's notes:

1) L* 71-74 again!

2) Referring to Titans/Legion Special, Infinite Crisis, when the Reboot Legion's Earth was seemingly destroyed, with only the Legionnaires surviving in limbo. Check the recap thread, "What Came Before", for more detail.

3) Kent is talking about Volume 3!

4) Pol means: during Volume 1, when the original Reboot Legion was lost!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/11/23 12:28 PM.
Re: Visiting other Legions
Invisible Brainiac #1023565 03/03/23 12:15 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
December!! I'm getting there! You sure did crank out a lot of stuff!!!! laugh

I can feel Floyd's disappointment as he talks to Devlin. But its still an important job.

Ah, Jed's got the nerves going, and Tel's not handling it well. Maybe they got married too soon?

God, I love the contrast between Orange and Gates here. The concept of being job counselors to effectively sort the applicants is a great idea.
Brawler's dream had me laughing!! His interaction with Triad, not so much.
Retro may need to rethink his options...

I'm really glad that you are allowing Jan to get his honors. I've always felt that DnA turned him into a villain then kind of threw him (and all the good he did prior) away like Kleenex.
Battering Ram seems interesting - they're an original character, right??
LOVE Betty's sequence. From the girls going from being dismissive to supportive. And, of course, Wildfire. I like her addition to the cadet program.

M'Rissey! Logistics as a super power! laugh LOL at Vi's comment about Kinetix. Still, I think its a really cool idea to bring him in for resourcing. He's like Batman in how he can plan ahead.
Cera is great - and love her code name. This is sizing up to be a cool revisioning of the early Legionnaires tryout. Glad Garth isn't there laugh
No Uranus jokes...No Uranus jokes...No Uranus jokes... laugh

Fauna is interesting just from the perspective of Starhaven being her homeworld. I was expecting another Dawnstar.
Meyer actually reminds me of Kinetix in some ways. And by the way, I really like your more sympathetic take on Andromeda.

Akiko seems like a walking, talking lasso of truth.
Giselle as a SP is an interesting choice. I think it suits her.

Oho! So Violet responds to Artemis! wink
Can I just say that I LOVE the energy Vampire concept in pretty much any form?

Aha! I knew something was going to happen around Retro and Brawler!!!
Spark Tongue sighting!!!
Ah, here we go. The old Kobyashi Maru with an evil twist. Man, Brawler took out Brin handily. He must be really powerful. He's not making a great case for himself.
Nice job Lamprey!!

LOL I can never expect this Ayla to keep a poker face. Which is ironic given she was so good at it in 5YL. smile
Gates is improbably a big advocate for the trainees here. I love it.

Retroboot visit!!
I like the differences of the Dirks the best. Reboot seemed much more level headed.
The Allons/Kinetix interaction was great, of course. Although I don't think it would be wise to bring Vi in on the conversation.
And Jan & Candi. frown So sad, but I loved it.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Invisible Brainiac #1023571 03/03/23 03:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for the read and review, GL!! yeah December was relatively light for me, and I knew Jan-march would be crazy (it still is!) at work, so I cranked stuff out real quick!

re Jed and Tel, I have them as Tel always having a bit of a stick up his butt, caring way too much about status and achievements. Jed is just more chill and OK with how things are tongue

Gates tells it like it is wink he doesn't really care about being politically correct, ironically despite being very social justice-y tongue

Jan did a lot of great things, and despite becoming the Progenitor... yeah. DNA took a good step in Legion 25 with Retro questioning and Imra/Cos remembering, but it did not go far enough in my opinion

Battering Ram is definitely an original character! glad you like smile character creation is probably my weakness as a writer, so glad some of them are working well!

Re X-Bomb Betty, I've fallen into the trap of judging attractive people negatively myself tongue hence the idea for Betty's bit.

I'm super proud of the Uploft code name myself, and happy to give poor Cera Kesh another chance smile

glad you are liking all these little bits! re Lamprey, I made such a big deal after her first rejection re the limitations of her power, I wanted to show her overcome those tongue

yeah, Reboot Dirk seemed way more together than Preboot/5YL one, so that bit totally stays

heh, imagine Retroboot Vi learning all about Reboot Vi/Gim... whew!
and indeed, I could not let a Candi/Jan meeting pass by smile it had to happen!

Stepping Up
Invisible Brainiac #1023579 03/03/23 06:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Vyrga

Heroes of Lallor - have a cross-Reservist arrangement with the Legion

Hotshot, Staq Mavlen of Shwar; breathes fire
Tellus, Ganglios of Hykraius; telepathy and telekinesis
Vapor, Tal Nahii of Lallor; transforms her body into gases

Crystal Kid, Bobb Kohan of Earth (Brazil and Peru); crystal generation and manipulation
Rainbow, Dori Aandraison of Xolnar; rainbow-based light powers

Other Legion Cadets

Fauna, Cats-Eye of Starhaven; animal empathy and borrowing of animal attributes
Martin Anderson of Luna; pyrokinesis
The Mess, Meyer Qayd of the Sol Asteroid Belt; telekinesis affecting small-diameter objects
Retro, Deen Toro of Retcon; touch-triggered ability to rewind time, but leaving those affected with a memory of "future" events

Other Legion Support Staff and Allies

Cannus of Anthropologia; skilled tracker, canine senses and abilities (Search & Rescue)
Theena of unknown; attached to a symbiotic alien able to open "viewscreens" allowing communication across distances (Communications, Search & Rescue)

Megga Hanzo of Winath; UP Aid program (childhood friend of Spark and Live Wire)

**************************************************************************************

"Vyrga has always had an interesting relationship with the UP. As somewhat short-lived invertebrates, Vyrgan leadership has always looked for ways to stand thorax-to-thorax with the vertebrates that dominate the UP. Why else do you think they keep telling me to stay with the Legion? Anything that can give them acclamation within the UP... bah! Mark my words, if they ever find some more teleporters manifesting their powers, we'll have them on our doorstep in the next cycle!"

- Gates, during a Legion meeting

*************************************************************************************

Martin Anderson's head was reeling. First, his Legion Cadet field trip had been cut short; then he and his classmates had been told they would be sent on missions while the Legionnaires were off on a mission; then he had taken a Threshold to Vyrga, where they had been very warmly received by Vyrga's Matriarch, who had kept on and on about the great debt Vyrga owed the Legion*; and how Vyrgan Legionnaire Gates had ensured that Vyrga received developmental aid - hence why a UP Aid mission was now on-planet. And now they were being briefed on their own mission.

"We lost contact with our UP colleagues four hours ago," Megga Hanzo said. The brunette hailed from Winath; but as a sign of the influence of Winath's own twin Legionnaires Live Wire and Spark, Megga's own twin was nowhere to be seen. Apparently, Winathian twins used to do everything together, but that was changing.

Martin idly thought about his own cousin, Sandy - the erstwhile Workforce member and Legion ally Inferno. She had gone to explore the galaxy and have a good time, she said; he also hadn't had contact with her in days. He hoped she was fine...

"Martin, please focus." Martin nearly jumped up as Tellus' voice sounded in his head. "I know you joined the Cadet program mainly for companionship, but we have a job to do..."

Martin nodded silently; he still had trouble communicating over telepathic links. He tried to focus, but it was tough. He resorted to biting the inside of his cheek to keep from falling asleep...

Beside Martin, Crystal Kid and Rainbow were both paying rapt attention. Both still strongly wanted to impress the Legionnaires, after all. On the other hand, Retro was dabbing uncomfortably at his brow; the jungle humidity on Vyrga was not pleasant. "You can just wear a transuit, you know," Crystal Kid whispered cheekily.

As Megga finished her briefing, Vapor stood up. "Okay, team. We have 45 UP staff to find, and a lot of ground to cover here on Vyrga's jungle terrain. Unfortunately, we've had to decline help from Vyrgan officers; their anatomies are simply too slow for a search-and-rescue mission."

"Oh yes, that's why Gates always flies or teleports," Crystal Kid volunteered eagerly. The Mess sniggered a bit; Crystal Kid had been a bit too forthcoming with all of his Legion knowledge, in a rather transparent bid to impress.

"That's right," Vapor smiled, then continued on before Crystal Kid could pop in another tidbit. "And with communications links on Vyrga down, we will have to get creative in communicating."

"That's my job," Theena smiled. She was glad to be off Legion World and on a mission for once! "I'll stay here with Megga and keep tabs on all of you through my symbiote." As if to demonstrate, her symbiotic viewscreens flashed to show images of several of the Cadets. "I will coordinate from here."

"And remember, besides the Vyrgans that we all know, Vyrgan jungles have a lot of native species - mainly harmless. But, UP scientists have catalogued an average of three new species per standard cycle, so keep your eyes open," Megga warned.

Fauna leaned forward with interest; she always enjoyed encountering new species.

Vapor drew up a map. "We'll split up into these teams..."

**************************************************************************************

"Rhis rhay!" Cannus pointed. "Reye rmell rher rhent!"

Hotshot wanted to call M'Rissey and ask what the idea was. Thus far, he had needed to ask Cannus to repeat almost everything twice; that accent of his was just...

"Hey!" Retro exclaimed.

"What is it?" Hotshot asked.

"I stepped on some poop." Retro's nose crinkled in disgust.

"Oh for the love of...!" Hotshot started. He sighed. "Use your flight ring, like the rest of us."

"I hate flying," Retro whined. Seeing Hotshot's death stare, he relented. "Let me just get this off." Using his power on his leg, he rewound the excrement so it fell off his boot and onto the ground.

"I'm glad you didn't have to touch the poop itself," The Mess laughed.

"Well, you would know," Retro fired back. "I see that Vyrgan jungles have a lot of tiny insects!"

The Mess sighed as he wiped a mass of dead insects from his transuit-covered face. He knew from experience that his power hadn't killed them; there were just dozens of dead ones that he attracted.

Hotshot sighed as he looked at his squad. He, Vapor and Tellus had discussed the squad assignments, and he knew that he had the lazy Retro and the poor-power-control Mess to balance having Cannus the tracker. "Come on, let's just get this over with," he sighed as he motioned Cannus to continue.

Vapor watched as Fauna began to glow red, a sign she was using her power. She wondered whether Fauna could combine powers with Tellus and with Beastmaster; too bad that Beastmaster had to stay behind to protect Lallor. Maybe one day, she would get to test that theory. But for now, Fauna was still a new Cadet and needed guidance.

Fauna opened her eyes. "I've spoken with a Vyrgan Giant Dragonfly, and she tells me that some humanoid bipeds went this way."

"Then this way we go," Vapor said. "Please led the way."

"Vapor!" Martin pointed in panic. "A giant beetle!"

"A Giant Winged Beast Beetle!" Fauna said excitedly, looking at the winged creature flapping its wings threateningly at them.

"I'll drive it away!" Martin wreathed himself in a corona of fire.

"Martin, no!" Vapor had changed her body into a flame retardant gas, while keeping her head solid. "You risk burning down the jungle!" At Martin's confused look, Vapor's tone softened. "Besides, remember our own powers; I could put the beetle to sleep, or Fauna can talk to it."

"I already am," Fauna replied, her eyes glowing. "He apologizes; he thought we were invading his territory. Now he understands we are just looking for some lost sentients."

"Good job, Fauna." Vapor gently turned to the downcast Martin. "And I also appreciate your alertness, Martin... We just have to think carefully before we act, okay?" Martin nodded, but Vapor made a note to pay special attention to him from now on.

Crystal Kid fumed silently as he trudged through the jungle behind Tellus. This would have been a great opportunity; but instead of being sent on a more high-profile mission, here he was following Tellus of all sentients into the jungles of Vyrga! Why couldn't he have gone with Impulse or Matter-Eater Lad, who actually resided on Legion World? Or even the White Witch, the only Active Legionnaire not to have gone on that blasted secret mission?

Tellus stopped and turned to Crystal Kid and Rainbow. "I do not sense any sentient minds here..."

"How about asking the local wildlife?" Bobb offered, a bit testily.

"Thank you, Crystal Kid... That was my next step, indeed," Tellus intoned. "Now please, I need to concentrate..."

Rainbow made a little face at Bobb, and Bobb returned it. Where Vision and Catspaw were beating up criminals on Takron-Galtos, here they were playing hide-and-seek in the jungle!

Rainbow raised a hand, and began to radiate some black light. "Maybe I can find some tracks..." she muttered.

"That is indeed helpful," Tellus' message almost made the two jump. "All I have gathered is that some sentients passed through here not long ago..."

Rainbow walked forward eagerly, her hand held high as she searched for tracks on the ground. Crystal Kid rolled his eyes as he followed. He wished this mission were a bit more glamorous!

Theena checked her viewscreens as she called M'Rissey. Her colleague was still on Legion World, coordinating missions; he had called to check in if some team members could be diverted elsewhere.

"I think you'll be able to deploy us all soon," Theena smiled. One screen showed that Cannus had found a group of UP staff; Hotshot, Retro and The Mess were checking to see if anyone needed medical attention.

Another screen showed that Fauna had tracked down a second group. Vapor was providing oxygen to a few that had fallen ill, but otherwise everyone was healthy.

And the third screen showed Crystal Kid levitating a crystal platform with several more UP staff on it. They appeared tired and weak, but otherwise fine. Tellus and Rainbow were checking each, to be sure.

"Not bad, not bad," Megga said as she watched the screens. "So, what kind of mission are the Legionnaires on? I'm pleasantly surprised to see not a single Active member here... Ayla told me once that each mission should have at least two Active Legionnaires..."

Theena nearly spit out her drink. Trying to keep a smooth face, she smiled at Megga. "Well, I can't give you details yet, but it has to do with a case the team's been working on for a while..."

Theena took a long sip of her drink while studying Megga's skeptical expression. She really hoped they would locate the missing Legionnaires soon... she didn't know how long they could keep this secrecy up!

IB's notes:

1) The Legionnaires stopped the Reboot Mantis Morlo from taking over the Vyrgan government! (L* 45)

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/11/23 12:31 PM.
Stepping Up
Invisible Brainiac #1023597 03/04/23 05:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Gigi Cusimano of Mars; Science police lieutenant and commander of the Science Police contingent on Legion World
Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Ireland and Montenegro); Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer
Dr. Gym'll of Jaquaa; Legion physician
Marla Latham of Earth (Germany and Sweden); Legion adult advisor
M'rissey of Mercury; advanced scenario modelling; manager of the Legion's Disaster Relief and Development arm

*************************************************************************************************************************

"I don't like it, Marla, but my projections show that we will need to shut down the Thresholds," M'Rissey shook his head. Behind him, a series of tables and charts displayed the data that he had somehow cobbled together, in between dispatching teams and triaging situations. "Unfortunately, the pattern of technological disruptions is thus far random; and the duration and severity of each shows no consistent pattern either. Thanagar was hit first, then Naltor, then Vyrga, then Linsner." M'Rissey flashed to a chart showing the planets that had been affected, with numbers displaying their order.

"No pattern at all," Shvaughn muttered. "None of those worlds are close by."

"And next comes the severity," M'Rissey changed the display to show colors, ranging from red to green, with red most severe. Again, no pattern.

"... and finally, duration." A series of little clock symbols appeared; Marla raised an amused eyebrow at the detail and specificity with which M'Rissey made his presentations. He leaned forward; they were a little small for his older eyes. "So, Colu had both a long and Red disruption... but Daxam's was just as long, yet much less severe at only Green..."

"... and Aarok's was Green but short, whereas Thanagar's was Red but also mercifully short," M'Rissey concluded. Then he called up another screen, that showed a timeline. "The only pattern is that every hour, more and more worlds are experiencing disruptions. And..." Four red circles appeared, highlighting two planets' names. "Both Earth and Bgztl have been hit twice."

Gigi stood up. "A targeted attack? Seat of the UP and homeworld of the sitting President? I thought this was just some kind of natural occurrence, as sustained attacks would have wiped whole populations out, but is this some sort of feint and confusion?"

"I've tried to test both scenarios, but don't have enough data," M'Rissey said, sadly.

Marla, Shvaughn and Gigi began talking of what to do and whom to inform. Dr. Gym'll sat, arms folded, his face growing darker by the moment. "Look, just tell me the implications for health and safety. With Impulse off playing hero, that leaves me as the most senior medical expert here - I've had to ask my practice to screen and divert only the most urgent calls to me. My main concern is what to tell Legion World's residents about keeping safe!"

Gigi began to answer, but Marla stopped her. "I apologize, Doctor. You're right. I would suggest you have the staff make an inventory of equipment classified by technological sophistication, while preparing a memo to all residents on items to stock up on assuming we get hit by the most severe and prolonged disruption to date. If M'Rissey transmits these charts to you, will that be enough?"

"Perfect. I'll be in the medi-labs." Dr. Gym'll grabbed his bag and turned to leave without another word.

Gigi sniffed. "He was right, but his manner... anyway. We are agreed, we need to shut down the Thresholds?"

"But only after recalling all away teams urgently. Or at least one member per, depending on how urgent their situations are," Shvaughn said, her heart beating. "It's a risk that some will be caught in Thresholds, but M'Rissey, what are the chances that someone will actually get caught mid-threshold in the next hour or so?"

".... 3.45% is my best guess, but these models are inaccurate... margin of error, +-10%."

"We have no choice," Gigi sighed. "I don't like it, but if we don't do it now, if we wait..."

All four looked at the timeline chart. The unspoken conclusion hung in the air; the disruptions would get more frequent and less predictable the longer they waited.

"Let's do it," Marla said. "Have the teams come back and take Legion cruisers. Although with Stargates gone, our response times will increase..."

"I'm working on more scenario modelling," M'Rissey turned back to his screens, typing as he spoke. "I'll come up with a plan re using select UP worlds as outposts. If we, for example, station a contingent on Imsk, and another on Zwen..."

"Good thinking," Marla smiled. "Gigi, I'll leave you to handle peace and order. Shvaughn and I need to prepare a briefing for the UP leadership..."

*************************************************************************************************************************

Earth, Seat of the United Planets

Honorary Legionnaires

Rene Jacques Brande of unknown; telepathy of unknown levels (See L* 52!); Legion Founder/Financier and United Planets Ambassador to the Second Galaxy

United Planets Leadership and Staff

Edvard Hagbard, Science Police Commander
Hector Hol, United Planets Armed Forces General
Rosa Tubman Everett, United Planets Fleet Admiral
Winema Wazzo of Bgztl; United Planets President
Zarox Lux of Colu; 10th level intelligence (UP Disaster Coordination)

As the least senior person in the room, alongside Zaron Lux, Shvaughn was surprised at how unintimidated she felt when faced with the top echelons of UP leadership. But after all, she reminded herself that she had started as Legion Liaison Officer with the perception that it would be a joke and a grunt job; * but that seemed like eons ago, in the team's first year, with only 13 relatively inexperienced members. The Legion had grown and proven themselves time and time again; and she had seen attitudes within the Science Police, from the newest Cadet to Commander Hagbard himself, change from skepticism and ridicule to mutual respect.

This was evident in today's meeting. Formerly one of the most skeptical of the Legion, Hagbard was now one of their biggest advocates.

"If the Legion's numbers guy says it, I'm convinced," Hagbard said.

"Hagbard, you're not one for being in the middle, are you?" Admiral Everett barked. Shvaughn loved her, and though she never saw herself as a soldier, she would work under Everett if she had the chance. "I respect the Legion too, but it's best practice to have those scenarios verified independently!"

"Which I have just done, pardon my interruption." Zaron Lux stood up. Though not as intelligent as Brainiac 5, he came quite close; and being more often than not the smartest person in the room gave him a quiet confidence. "The calculations are impressively correct. To conserve energy and minimize the chances of a fatal Threshold accident, we should indeed wind up Threshold operations within the next 2.35 UP standard hours."

General Hol turned to Winema. "Madam President. By your leave...? We already have protocols in place for operations should the Threshold system go down, but every minute we have to execute them properly helps. This is the first situation in which we will have to use them."

"With two of the brightest minds in the galaxy saying so, I agree." To her credit, Winema showed not an ounce of indecision. "It won't be easy, but... Rene, would you..."

"I have already requested calls with the Affiliated Planets leadership, and representatives of the worlds of the Second Galaxy," RJ smiled back. "AP planets are being hit, and who knows if the Second Galaxy will eventually be impacted? Matriarch Enkenet of the Kwai is my first stop, of course."**

"Thank you, Rene," Winema smiled. "I trust you will make the good Matriarch feel like she is involved in decision-making..." She turned to her Chief of Staff, asking her to schedule a meal with the Matriarch in a week, and to place a private reminder to sound out the Matriarch's thoughts on forming some sort of United Planets within the Second Galaxy as well. "Much more efficient if they have their own representative in place, to have a single point of contact. Now..." Winema rose. "I trust you all to handle the operational aspects, both military and civilian, of shutting down the Thresholds. I'll have communications staff arrange a galaxy-wide communications two hours from now, just before we shut the Thresholds down. Rene, please do ask the AP if they would like to piggy-back on our broadcast. Zaron..."

"I am preparing a list of alternative communications channels that can reach the worlds with massive disruptions," Zaron said without looking up.

"Perfect," Winema smiled. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get a cup of tea before digging in." And with that, Winema phased through the floor.

The leadership stood up, with General Hol and Admiral Everett briskly walking out the room. Commander Hagbard made a point of grabbing an extra pastry from the table before winking at Shvaughn and exiting. Shvaughn forced herself not to roll her eyes; Hagbard was still a bit of a nasshead, sometimes.

RJ Brande approached her as she gathered her things. "Shvaughn, lass, how are you holding up? And please, call me RJ, none of this Mr. Brande or Ambassador Brande nonsense, by damn!"

"Oh, RJ, thank you for asking," Shvaughn smiled. "It's been incredibly busy, but..."

"But I can see the work takes your mind off other things," RJ's eyes twinkled. "I'm worried about Triad, too. But by damn, we'll find her and M'Onel and the rest, we will."

Shvaughn nearly dropped her bag. RJ smiled again. "I like to keep up on everyone, you know."

Shvaughn smiled. "Thank you, RJ. We'll find them all, indeed." And when they did, she would give M'Onel the biggest kiss ever.

Earth, Seat of the United Planets

Cub Wazzo-Nah of Bgztl and Rimbor; son of Apparition and Ultra Boy, confirmed phasing abilities
Devlin O'Ryan of Xanthu; reporter
Hannah Wells of Earth (France and Mali); reporter
Winema Wazzo of Bgztl; United Planets President

"No, control, I will not shove a camera in Cub Wazzo-Nah's face!" Hannah Wells politely but firmly told her bosses through the commlinks. With tech blipping on and off unpredictably, they had resorted to voice-only comms; too bad, she wished they could see the disgust on her face. Cub was only a child!

"Yeah, that's right!" Devlin O'Ryan echoed Hannah. "Let's focus on the news, and not exploit any children!"

Ignoring their bosses' rants, Hannah and Devlin turned to the podium. Winema Wazzo was already there, and behind her sat Cub in his crib, a watchful nanny hovering over him. Hannah had heard Winema speaking with her staff. "Cub is here both for safety and for perception," Winema had explained. "With technology failing, I want my grandson close by; and it will help the people accept our message if they see me as someone with normal family connections too. Like them." And so, Cub's crib was placed just so, slightly behind and to the back of Winema. He would not be in center stage, but anyone reading the links would know who he was.

Nobody could ever accuse Winema Wazzo of being a clumsy politician. Hannah pondered on her evolution; she used to have a temper that made her lose reason, but since the Blight came, Winema had become much more adept. And this had only increased as she began to work more closely with the Legion.

Perhaps, pondered Hannah, Winema's new family dynamic -better relations with daughter Apparition and son-in-law Ultra Boy, and spending time with her grandson Cub, had also affected her positively.

"We are live in 10!" A tech officer shouted. Hannah began her narration. "We are here today with an urgent message from the President of the United Planets."

And then it was Winema's turn. Looking up with a calm but sympathetic expression, she began. "Citizens of the United Planets, citizens of the Affiliated Planets, and all other unaligned worlds receiving this message. You by now have likely heard of the random, unexplained technological disruptions plaguing worlds intermittently. Rest assured, the United Planets is collaborating with your leaders to enact measures that will keep us as safe as possible. Even now, the majority of the active Legion of Super-Heroes membership is on a mission to find the cause of this; and Reserve Legionnaires are working with UP services on relief operations."

The screen behind Winema showed several images; Impulse and Matter-Eater Lad helping a group of Science Police Officers calm riots on Bismoll; the Heroes of Lallor pushing back a herd of space dragons from approaching Neptune; Xanthu's Uncanny Amazers dispelling freak storms on Winath after its weather control system failed; UP aid workers and several Legion Cadets led by Chlorophyll Kid distributing edible foodstuffs on Corvan IV; the UP Fleet mobilizing to man the UP border worlds just in case. Even McCauley Industries' Workforce appeared alongside some Science Police officers.

"However, while we are still understanding the situation, we have to act with the utmost caution. And with this, we have to temporarily restrict usage of the Threshold transport technology," Winema continued. "This is necessary to prevent incidents should a Threshold fail while sentients are inside. To mitigate the loss of transport, we are spreading our personnel across the galaxy. We have determined a series of equidistant points that can offer us the best coverage and fastest response times possible. We will also equip local personnel on your world with supplies and equipment."

Devlin was jumping with energy. Everything seemed so well-planned...

"I know you are all probably frightened. I am too," Winema continued. "We will be publishing a list of actions you can take within your own homes, to keep yourselves as safe and comfortable as possible while we resolve these issues." Behind her, Cub sat up, rubbing his eyes.

"I promise you, we will do your utmost to keep you and your families safe," Winema ended her statement. Then she walked over to Cub just before the cameras stopped.

Picking up her grandson, she looked in his eyes. "Grandmama will be very busy, my little one," she cooed. "You be good and play here first, okay?"

Hannah smiled, even as she ignored her boss screaming once more to have her catch this footage of a lifetime. "Sorry, boss, I can't hear you. Tech problems, you know."

IB's notes:

1) Commander Edvard Hagbard has an interesting Reboot history. We see him giving admin tasks to then-Science Police Cadet Imra Ardeen in LSH 0, with Shvaughn commenting that Hagbard hates Titanians. In LSH Annual 6, he assigns Shvaughn the role of Legion Liaison Officer, and her SP colleagues mercilessly tease her for getting the "full-time desk job". I thought it would be interesting to explore how his attitudes may have changed since then.

2) The Affiliated Planets was created as a dummy entity by the Dark Circle, but decided to legitimately stay together as an alternate United Planets. Some Legion homeworlds like Winath and Xanthu remain in the AP, even. The Second Galaxy is the Kwai Galaxy; they do not currently have any structure resembling the United Planets, but RJ Brande led an ambassadorial trip to visit several Second Galaxy worlds once. The Kwai, of course, maintain good relationships with the Legion, as their pathfinding is necessary to use the Thresholds.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/11/23 06:12 AM.
Stepping Up
Invisible Brainiac #1023598 03/04/23 06:26 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Gallan

The Workforce of McCauley Industries; may be called upon by the Legion and United Planets in grave emergencies

Amber of Dendron, projects a sap-like gel
Evolvo, Sev Tcheru of Lallor; shifts self between human evolutionary states, including a super-strong ape-man and a telekinetic, hyper-intelligent futuristic human; current CEO of McCauley Industries
Lupine of unknown, wolf-like humanoid form
Sandstorm of Mica, body composed of animate dust particles
Survivor, Oulan Calhoun of Mars; enhanced durability and endurance, UP Navy training; field leader of the Workforce

Other Legion Support Staff

Dr. Mollie Dennum of Hephaestus; materials scientist

Science Police Officers

Bogdan Tarka of Doopa, invulnerability (Science Police cadet)
Dar Zel of Daxam; Science Police officer
Giselle Smith of Triton, super-charges metabolism to enhance physical attributes (Science Police cadet)
Hegga Hanzo of Winath; Science police officer (childhood friend of Spark and Live Wire)

*****************************************************************************************

Gallan is a mudball, period. McCauley bought it because it was well-located, and it had a livable atmosphere with no local population and not much in the way of local animal and plant life. So, he could use it as a giant factory and not worry too much about pollution or nass like that. I hear it's gotten much better under Evolvo... nobody's brought him to labor court yet, anyway.

- Spider-Girl, during a Legion Espionage Squad meeting

*****************************************************************************************

Hegga Hanzo presented her credentials to the woman called Survivor; a necessity today, as the planetoid Gallan was fully owned by McCauley Industries. Oulan Calhoun had been a legend in the UP Navy; even coming from a different UP branch, Hegga had heard the stories. How Oulan had survived, alone, on the desert world Kalahari after escaping from a criminal gang; of how she had hidden for three days without food and water, thanks to her unique physiology, until she could interrupt a major arms deal on Rimbor.

"I am grateful to get a chance to work with you," Hegga said. Survivor smiled. "Pleasure is mine. Now, tell me who you have with you, and what abilities they have."

Eager to get into the flow of work, Hegga handed over a list of the Officers and Cadets with her, sorted by experience. Those with posthuman abilities were clearly marked.

"Well-prepared, I see." Survivor studied the list, even as Hegga tried very hard not to smile like a schoolgirl.

Just as they were finalizing the squad assignments, a storm of dust particles burst under the door and took the shape of Workforce member Sandstorm. "Survivor. Looters. Lupine is holding them off, but..."

Survivor and Hegga looked at each other. "Gold and Green Squads?" Hegga asked.

"My choice exactly. Go, go!"

Hegga activated her comms and hailed the Squads mentioned. Trying hard not to grin, she ran out the door.

Survivor watched with a mix of pride and recognition. Ah, Hegga reminded her of when she first joined the Navy... She quickly called her boss, Evolvo. "Mister Evolvo, sir."

"Yes, Oulan?" Evolvo picked up the call as he was studying the main energy reactor of his McCauley Industries plant on Gallan.

"Looters have been reported in east wing. Dispatching two squads to tale them down. Science Police is leading. I'm at command central."

"Thank you, Oulan," Evolvo said. "I trust you to handle it, but please do notify me of any actual compound breaches. And after this, I've made a note to staff to review our tenant vetting procedures..."

Amber shook her head as she listened to Evolvo. She had first briefly joined the Workforce* under Leland McCauley, the deceased former CEO. She hadn't stayed very long; McCauley's capriciousness and greed had made her incredibly uncomfortable. Evolvo was not only a much calmer, nicer and better leader; but also surprisingly much more ethical. She did hear from some other more experienced McCauley Industries employees that Evolvo would find legal loopholes where he could; he was just more pragmatic in maintaining good relations with the United Planets and Legion, and less brazen about turning a quick profit than McCauley was. Indeed, he treated his employees better; working conditions on Gallan and elsewhere had vastly improved since Evolvo had taken over. At least among the less wealthy, planetoids like Gallan had become a decently-attractive choice for affordable, yet well-serviced, housing.

One of the first signs of change had been when Evolvo was voted in, and decided to keep the McCauley Industries name as so. Though he had said it was more a branding decision, as he wanted to leverage the McCauley name. "As long as we are profitable, it can be called anything," he had said.

"Amber, would you be so kind as to patch up that pipe?" Evolvo pointed. Snapping out of her reverie, Amber dutifully complained; projecting her sap-like gel. She let it solidify around the pipe.

"Thank you. Now, could you also please ask Survivor if there are any, by chance, Durlan, Braalian, Tharrian or even Daxamite officers with her? We will need to shore up this reactor so it continues working even if our failsafes... fail," Evolvo explained. "Basically, anyone with powers that can help strengthen or shape metals, seal leaks, that sort of thing."

A call to Survivor and five minutes later, Evolvo had a Daxamite with him. "Officer Dar Zel from Daxam, but stationed on Earth," he saluted.

"Ah, I've heard of you," Evolvo smiled warmly. "One of the few Daxamites who travelled offworld. I admit, I thought I might see one of you in the Legion Cadet program by now..."

"I prefer to keep out of the limelight," Dar Zel said, face all serious. "Most of the Daxamites I know offworld do; the political and social situation on Daxam is still not ideal."

"Yes, xenophobia and prejudice can be difficult to stamp out," Evolvo nodded. "Well, I'm glad we have you here. If you please, I have to call a consultant." Moments later, the smiling face of Dr. Mollie Dennum appeared on a small viewscreen. "Oh my, what an exciting case this is!" she grinned. "I'm so happy I joined the Legion Support Staff, every day is a novelty!"

"I am sure they are pleased to have you as well," Evolvo said. "Now Doctor, Officer Dar Zel here is a Daxamite, and I do have some limited telekinesis. While Amber can project a sap-like gel, and I sent you a sample some time ago." Amber felt amused at that; she had indeed been hired mainly for security, but Evolvo had soon realized her powers could have other applications, too. "Can you guide us on ways to make this reactor safer?"

"Of course, of course!" Dr. Mollie just exuded excitement. "I've studied the metals used, and if Officer Zel can heat the front plate by exactly 177 degrees..."

"A moment, I will need to adjust the amount of power I ration." Dar Zel fiddled with the power-limiter on his wrist, that all Daxamites wore offworld. "Okay, I am ready."

Amber settled back as she watched, in fascination, as Dr. Mollie directed Evolvo to hold the plate still while Dar Zel molded it just so. Who knew that working with the Workforce could be so fascinating?

Outside, Hegga Hanzo was also having the time of her life. She had disarmed three looters already. Beside her, Sandstorm blinded another half-dozen with his sand particles. Cadet Giselle Smith, having boosted her metabolism with an energy drink, was keeping three more looters occupied with her dodging and weaving.

"I wouldn't do that, if I were you," Cadet Bogdan Tarka warned a large tattooed man. "Eat this, Sci-Cop!" The man punched Bogdan in the face... and cried out as a sickening crunch came from his fist.

"Told you, invulnerability," Bogdan shook his head.

"Stand down! The resources here are not yours!" Giselle said as she kicked the firearm out of one looter's hand.

Lupine just snarled as he roared at a few more looters. Having been blinded by Sandstorm, they finally regained their vision to see the tall, hairy, fanged Lupine advancing on them. With shrieks, they dropped their weapons and ran... only to have Hegga train her weapon at them. "You're under arrest for destruction of property and intent to commit violence!" She said.

She watched in satisfaction as they dropped to their knees, and Bogdan came up behind to handcuff them. She knew her twin Megga was busy distributing relief goods now, but she was confident that she was having much more fun than her twin!

************************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Amber was part of the all-new, all-adult Workforce that McCauley formed, at a time when the Legionnaires were being vilified by the United Planets for being too young, inexperienced, and potentially leading the Blight to Earth. (Widening Rifts, LSH 124-125, L* 81). Other members: Meta (dead, he was the idiot that caused the Rift in the first place by not listening to Brianiac 5's warnings); Lori Morning (a loophole, as she was an adult while using her H-Dial); Repulse (would later join the Oversight Watch under McCauley - who was really Ra's al Ghul at the time); and Dune (same homeworld/powers as Sandstorm, but I made him a two-bit villain in Volume 3!)

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/11/23 12:33 PM.
Gaseous Lad #1023622 03/05/23 06:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
No Uranus jokes...No Uranus jokes...No Uranus jokes... laugh

And I admit, I intentionally made Glow-Worm come from Uranus, as he has his head up his @ss... and he is in fact named after 3 real-life people that I know, who also have their heads up their @sses tongue tongue

Re: Animal Instinct (Post ZH Legion)
Invisible Brainiac #1023773 03/10/23 10:58 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
January!! Okay, I'm getting there!!! laugh

----------------------

Two things I really like here - the callback to the White Triangle and some affect on the Daxamites. Its really cool to have them wear some kind of an inhibitor without going the transsuit route. I'm assuming M'Onel has one also? For some reason I keep thinking Obin was killed by Roxxas, but I'm sure I'm incorrect there.

Oooh, it looks like we have a true mystery here with what happened to Brawler...

Ah, and there we have the M'Onel bracelet along with a nice moment with Shvaughn. smile

---------------------

"You always remember your first...." seems to be a theme here laugh

oh fun! We're in the 90th century!!

Does the flux capacitor require 1.21 GW of energy? wink

Ah, they are with the SHAZAM statues!

LOL, I'm glad we get a follow up with Koko!

And I'm REALLY enjoying your Cham when he's undercover. VERY fun.

Nice little moment there between Cham and Lar. It's good to see the team members stepping on each others' toes now and then.

------------------

Cool sequence rescuing Teena - I kind of felt like they rushed in there, so hoping it goes well. I'm reminded of the Brin Londo origin!

Aha! It is Mar Londo!!!

I'm looking forward to see where this goes!

----------------------

Oooh, back in the 90th, its interesting to see Gear getting overwhelmed with all the tech from the timeframe.

Uh oh, Legion vs Legion batlling! and its 7 vs 7!!

Ah, its not the SHAZAM golems, its the deadly sins! I like how you have the posessed legionnaires appropriately tagged. I also like how they are tempermentally aligned, and that the "good" Legionnaires are smart enough to use their personalities as an achilles heel.

And the resolution is great. Great first mission for Tayla!

I'm really invested in how Brin's story plays out.

Had to laugh a bit at Tinya though. Brin stalks off - "So anyway, let's go eat!" laugh

---------------------

Yeah, loving the Mysa/Zoe spat!!! Obviously, I'm in Zoe's corner! laugh I still want them to be angry with each other! LOL

But I'm glad that she and Brek seem to have more emotional maturity than Jo and Tinya did at that age - and kudos to Jo for caring enough to give Brek some bumpers on that.

Four more pages to get caught up!!!! LOLe3

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Invisible Brainiac #1023775 03/10/23 11:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
You’re getting there GL! Lol glad you liked these bits!

Yeah despite the team all being professionals, they need to clash from time to time wink

The Daxamite bracelet thing, I just felt was a natural outcome of the White Triangle destruction. With beings capable of so much… and if Titanians have to wear a Saturn symbol… smile

I think having two Daxamites on the Teena rescue team made them a bit reckless wink

Glad you liked the Deadly sins pairing, and the Zoe/Mysa/Brek stuff. I see Brek as a bit Immature but earnest, and Zoe has been through so much. And Jo is finally settling down so… wink

Invisible Brainiac #1023786 03/10/23 03:10 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
The Daxamite bracelet thing, I just felt was a natural outcome of the White Triangle destruction. With beings capable of so much… and if Titanians have to wear a Saturn symbol… smile

It's funny/not funny how I didn't realize until now how close that is to the whole literal branding of certain groups was in the last century.... eek

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Glad you liked the Deadly sins pairing, and the Zoe/Mysa/Brek stuff. I see Brek as a bit Immature but earnest, and Zoe has been through so much. And Jo is finally settling down so… wink

I think we know who "wears the pants" so to speak in that relationship laugh It's fun to imagine her bossing him around.

Invisible Brainiac #1023788 03/10/23 03:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
yeah, that Titan shield thing... it's an interesting debate. in the Reboot universe case, it's because of some of the abilities they have...

lol Zoe is definitely in the lead over laid-back Brek wink

Invisible Brainiac #1023799 03/10/23 10:56 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
February!

Nightwind has figured out how to cut Gates off at the pass - speak before he does! laugh

I will always enjoy Sussa as a friend vs a foe! I think Val might, also. smile

Tomb is .... kinda creepy...

I'm really enjoying reading Nightwind as a leader. She's a character who didn't get a whole lot of coverage even in her prime, so you get to make something pretty interesting out of her.

Cool sequence as Tellus is scanning, but is this sentence supposed to be referring to Vapor:
"You need to take a break after this," Tellus said as she guided Tellus out. "We can't have you pushing yourself too hard..."

Gates using his powers to prune the trees was a fun touch. He can have a new job when he retires! laugh

That scene with Beastmaster going feral had me freaked out for a second. I'm glad Tomb was on hand! And the connection with Tellus is very intriguing.

---------

LOL at "Sprocker" and at the takedown of Tyr. First damaging his arm by hitting someone with it, then letting Stone Boy get the drop on him. Ahem.

Neat description of Babbage's motivation around the Asimov circuits.

And Tellus gets to stay on Lallor! How about that!

Aha! I was wondering about Lusyo, as well as the cargo discrepancy...

--------------------

And now the Aleph section - I started reading this when I was on travel last month, but now I get to read it in context! I'm glad to see Zoe & Vi on the same chapter!

Honestly, part of the reboot died when they stopped using that cruiser. This is space opera. You NEED spaceships goddamit.

Spark tongue! AT KINETIX!! (hey now!)

And Ferro completely out of step. Love it.

Hi Lori! Great to see you again! laugh

Yes, Tenzil, you're literally just here to cook. smile

Looks like there's plenty of Ayla's tongue to go around! Hmm. I should rephrase that. NOPE!

Seriously love this chapter!!! (obviously)

-------------

So by the way, your intro section is awesome - both from the background/worldbuilding perspective as well as the fact that its what ever a podcast is in the 31st century! laugh

I kind of love Mabuhay in a lot of ways.

HAH! Plaid lad! That's so awesome!!! I love it that you're pulling him in!!!

Love the scene with Yera! ESPECIALLY Candi's generic feedback with Yera eating up the feedback! And Zoe being real is just icing. laugh

--------------------

And I'm lapping myself here to where I reconnected with the thread.... moving onward... I'm loving this regardless

You definitely need to write more Zoe & Vi material. Just saying as a fan of all parties!

I get this image of Tenzil in one of those cooking contests here...

Nothing can make Spark be anything but lovable.

The Zoe and Candi institute should have a logo, don't you think? smile

Nice tense moments there in the arena. For the length, I was worried that Vi had fallen on the facility...

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one that had thought Zoe and Azra were twins. There is a sci-fi thread about people cloning themselves but augmenting their DNA to either add to the X in an XY pairing or delete part of a XX branch to produce specific genders, and I had thought about going down this route with Azra, but I dunno.

Nice growing moment for Lori. I'm convinced she could be used more as a character, but no one gave her a second chance.

Interesting action in the ruins. I'm wondering about the Wellurian. Lots of great character moments that are setting the stage for more to come, obviously. This was a fun thing to read!! laugh

--------------------

Back to Brawler!!!!

Whoa - whatever is affecting her is focused. I was reminded of V'Ger in ST:TMP

Hmmm, seven animals... Chinese Zodiac? And Kono as the Rat??

Go Tasmia!!!

REALLY cool sequence with Tasmia, Nura and Lana - I mean Lonna - going in to Talok's underground.

Next section - the paragraph describing WHO should be in a meeting is f-ing genious. Not to mention the need to eat on the go. I can't tell you how many times I've been in projects where you eat the best you can, even if you are talking.

Gold star to the Kinetix/Brainy exchange. I love that. I'm hooked on whatever Luornu is doing.

LOL - Condo inadvertantly scammed into recruitement by Spark! I love it.

I'm very much in favor of Nightwind co-managing things. Again, I'm a real big fan here.

Aw... Echo and Mentalla... smile

IS Andy having girl troubles?? But Its fun seeing the frustrated get their anger out....

HAH! The Triple date - NEVER a good idea. Hell, DOUBLE dates are NEVER a good idea in most cases. They all have wonderful spouses.

----------------------

I'm almost up to date!!!

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 03/10/23 10:56 PM.

Page 40 of 49 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star