Roll Call
0 members (), 44 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 49 1 2 45 46 47 48 49
Re: Post ZH Legion: Volume 4 Moving On (April 13, 2023)
Invisible Brainiac #1028053 07/22/23 10:42 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Okay picking back up from sometime in March.... laugh

I had the same thought about Mysa using tech as Cece did smile

The concept of "repopulating Zarrox" is intriguing with Mysa at the center, although I'm sure it's fraught with dangers.

I like the Zodiac team from the "love to hate them" perspective.

It's been so long of a break that I forgot you had M'Rissey and Theena on the team! Question though - would those folks have seen something going on with the prison after the illusion was lifted?

I like how Bobb is working his magic (the use of magic in general here is really great - its something that I don't think we see enough for the Legion). I expected him to be using his dome as a lens or something, but I see he has other plans....

I am very keen on where you're taking Kono. Very creative way of taking out Spark and her team.

Hmmm, are you going to use the Ferro-as-iron-being-invulnerable-to-magic attribute from Superboy's Legion?

Damn, the sequence with Scratch was intense! Looks like Umbra may have met her match here!

Okay I hope I'm not the only one getting Monty Python vibes with the Rabbit sequence. laugh But seriously, I appreciate his efficiency!

Dragonmage!?!? Oh no!!! This will definitely not end well.... frown I wonder what Pig's leverage on him is?

Snakes's attack on Nura's team was a real mind bender - I loved it. Very much has vibes of Dream Crime.

I'm at the Horse chapter and I have a decent idea as to who Pig is.... We'll see if I'm right....

GREAT sequence with Brin.

oooo! - a Super (and sentient) Lightning beast? Not sure if its the Greatest Of All Time though smile

LOL Brawler is the Monkey! Pretty apt...

Wow, poor Babbage... I was hoping that Zoe would put him back together, but she's a fiery one. wink

Hmmm, two teams defeated by avalanche. Brawler's not too creative.

Good for Rokk! His team seems to have it together better!

Opponent Power switching is a neat offensive weapon - of course they wouldn't know how to use the new power effectively!

Ooof! Looks like Vi wasn't too hurt to be able to regrow and hit the ground like that, and Cham was simply VICIOUS. I love it.

Whooo, finally back to Zarrox and Mysa! That was quite the tour!!!!

Mysa knows about Dragonmage.

The aftermath.... Wow, the team is in such bad shape. It's even worse here than I imagined in the earlier chapters. Poor Zoe, and I feel really bad for Candi!!

Interesting choice taking M'Onel out of action. I totally get it from a story perspective.

Oh neat - Dryad! And okay Ferro is there BECAUSE of what he is - interesting take...

The hospital sequence is really nicely done. A lot of stuff in there, but it really shows how reliant the team is on each other, even for healing.

Pig is a bastard and I love it - this is really some epic stuff, Ibby.

Posting this then taking a break for the rest of Vol 4....

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Re: Post ZH Legion: Volume 4 Moving On (April 13, 2023)
Invisible Brainiac #1028059 07/22/23 12:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hey GL! glad you could begin catching up, and thanks for the R&R!

re Zodiac team, yeah they're mean to be hated, so glad that worked tongue

re the illusion and the prison where Brawler and the Wellurian were... yes, the Snake's illusions would only have worked while she was actively casting them. but, everyone else was super busy anyway, so it would not have mattered much. and Snake was casting her illusions until everyone was off Legion World.

ah nope, no Ferro's-iron-form-as-magic-impervious here! that would have been too easy!

lol at the Rabbit being the Rabbit from Monty Python wink

glad Dragonmage came as a surprise too

Brawler - nope, creativity is not his strong suit wink

yeah, I wanted to get the team into some dire straits to up the stakes, and indeed M'Onel and Andromeda had to be among the most injured. actually, most of this wrote itself based on who got sent where. Dragonmage was never going to hurt the Legionnaires he was fighting too seriously, while Slizz/Snake was limited to casting illusions, and the Legionnaires would have held back when attacking enemies.

glad you're liking it, GL!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/22/23 12:11 PM.
Re: Post ZH Legion: Volume 4 Moving On (April 27, 2023)
Invisible Brainiac #1028067 07/22/23 04:13 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
BTW, I love how Kono is "The Rat." I wonder if that will have more connotations.

Jacques and Wildfire to the rescue!!!

Has "dweeks" been anywhere before? I like it

Also really getting satisfaction seeing the zodiac getting their comeuppance. Especially Xao.

Using Dreamer to focus on Kono's actions was pretty smart. But damn, that was a nasty tactic to pull on Val.

The ghost army is calling up images of Lord of the Rings, but with the army fighting for the wrong team!

Aha, I was wondering when the rest of the team was going to show up! smile

Looks like we are going into endgame, folks!

Okay, so now we get the "whys". I'm not surprised for Kono, honestly, or even Xao. Ends and means and all that.

Wow, leave it to Imra to try and butt into a conversation of the gods. laugh

Wow, that end was great - it really hones in on the reboot Xao's archetype - the person who wants to do the right thing but for the wrong reason or the wrong way. This is a good ending for him, if bittersweet for both him and Mysa.

I think this whole series of events put Brainy at a loss for words. laugh

So is Dryad going to exist as a person or a planet or both?

3 days later - whenever I see that phrase I *always* think of Twin Peaks laugh

Dryad doesn't seem to have any memories - yet. smile

I really like the idea of the other super teams being sister organizations officially. They basically already are, so its nice to have that codified. THinking about that a little - doesn't it seem that maybe Brande may have stolen the idea from Xanthu or Lallor? laugh

Laurel considers herself human? That's an interesting twist wink

I like downtime episodes and there's a ton here for everyone to do! I literally laughed out loud when Vi grew and clapped her hands to quiet everyone down. laugh

Good lord, 50 characters! Plus supporting staff!!! shocked

Oh god, I don't think society can handle 16 more Frozen sequels! laugh

Congratulations on a great story!!!!

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Re: Dreamer
Invisible Brainiac #1028069 07/22/23 05:25 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Vol 5!

Had to laugh at the couples moment with Jo & Tinya. It's called parenting - gaining weight and losing time for.... exercise, yeah that's it.

LOL Zoe never does subtle.

That's cool about Tenzil having an image issue - I hadn't thought of it in those terms, so thank you for doing that. He's kind of a reverse Hawkeye from MASH

It's a sweet scene, but I still think they're the wrong couple. wink I actually have the counterpoint to your scene here written (for a long time actually) but haven't gotten to the point in my timeline to tell it yet. And there is the issue of Vi's bisexuality you touched on a while back.

LOL - Zoe becoming the Dr. Drew of the Legion (maybe I should find a better comparison, since he's kind of a dweeb). It totally makes sense, especially with a team that big!!!

Interesting for Gear to be returning to Linsnar.

META DELL and ZOOM? LOL

The feeling I get with the Linsnarian mission with their leaders towards Gear is very similar to the Carggites with Triad. The specific scenario reminds me of Colu in the Threeboot, though.

Kidnapped characters! Zula Hex? Related to Jonah? And a Vyrgran???

Lyle knows the vulcan nerve pinch!!

Man, I say have Ze Tounge as Legion Leader. I should change my vote...

Zoe's kind of take charge here, especially with Umbra. I like it.

Interesting comparison of the White Triangle with the Progeny viz a viz Saturn Girl...

Go Tinya! She apparently knows the nerve pinch, too! laugh

And the salvation for the people comes at a cost to poor Gear.... but at least they told those posers off!!!

And a mystery woman!

This was a nice episode here - a nice breather after the epic of the Zodiac! Kind of like a nice standalone TV episode after a big story arc!

Invisible Brainiac #1028083 07/23/23 02:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
wow GL, that is some speed-reading! thanks for catching up in one mega weekend!!! smile

heh, Kono just fits "Rat" to me, so maybe wink let's say I have some ideas in mind for where to take her, she's too good to not ever use again!

I think Wildfire has used "dweeks" a couple of times in the Reboot, trying to remember exactly when though!

pleased that the Zodiac were such villainous villains, that you're enjoying seeing them get justice smile

oh yeah, it ain't the Legion without a big cavalry moment wink and I just couldn't resist having the whole team show up at the end, that's part of what the Legion is about wink

And glad the motivations of everyone - including Xao - seemed realistic! and yay that Xao's ending seemed fitting!

Dryad will just exist as a person, who can potentially grow into a planet - eventually smile so as of now, the planetary mass of Dryad is no more smile

as for Brande's idea, no, the Legion preceded the Amazers and Lallor Heroes (gah, they will really need a team name at some point!)

Laurel's matured now; wink tee-hee!

thanks GL, glad you digged Volume 4! and now v5...

yup, parenting! I have a lot of peers/friends who're parents now, so I drew on their stories to write this bit... tongue

re Tenzil, happy to, I've had image issues before. And I figure, Tenzil is a good way to illustrate it as he's fairly "average" in terms of body type - having him with image issues is a great way to show that a lot of average folk have them too!

re Vi/Tenzil, totally fair enough wink different universes and all that tongue (I wasn't originally going with this, but I do like it - I'm sure most of us know couples in real life where we're like, eh, I don't really see it, but if they say they're a couple...)

oh gosh I don't think my keyboard could survive Ze Tongue as Legion leader. I'll need a new Z key...

Zoe doesn't like being abducted, so she was out for blood, sorta wink so she just went in and (literally) wrapped stuff up!

yeah, I was trying to go for a Carggite-judgment feel for the Linsnar bit.

re Nerve Pinches, they teach that in Legion basic tongue handy maneuver to know!

glad you liked the two "little" missions! I figured we'd need a breather after the Zodiac lol!

and ah no, no Jonah Hex in Zula Hex's Coluan bloodline!

thanks GL, glad you're all caught up!!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/23/23 02:39 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1028085 07/23/23 02:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
ok gang, up next:

We take time to revisit / update some of the other points and subplots raised in the Volume 4 ending,

and oh - Legion leader election results too!

Invisible Brainiac #1028088 07/23/23 09:32 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
wow GL, that is some speed-reading! thanks for catching up in one mega weekend!!! smile

I had to do it - there was a lot and I wanted to get caught up! smile

as for Brande's idea, no, the Legion preceded the Amazers and Lallor Heroes (gah, they will really need a team name at some point!)

Are you sure? Don't we see the Amazers already formed at the start since they recruit Star Boy?

yup, parenting! I have a lot of peers/friends who're parents now, so I drew on their stories to write this bit... tongue

I may have lived through this. laugh

re Tenzil, happy to, I've had image issues before. And I figure, Tenzil is a good way to illustrate it as he's fairly "average" in terms of body type - having him with image issues is a great way to show that a lot of average folk have them too!

re Vi/Tenzil, totally fair enough wink different universes and all that tongue (I wasn't originally going with this, but I do like it - I'm sure most of us know couples in real life where we're like, eh, I don't really see it, but if they say they're a couple...)

Yeah, I mean if you have the story living in your head, you have to get it out. I just wasn't a huge fan of the relationship from back in the SW6 timeframe, although it was a great callback to the Adventure issue where he takes her out on a date after Duplicate Boy stands her up (again!). But you do a fantastic job with it.

yeah, I was trying to go for a Carggite-judgment feel for the Linsnar bit.

Glad I was tracking there smile

re Nerve Pinches, they teach that in Legion basic tongue handy maneuver to know!

I've been watching a ton of Star Trek lately..... laugh

and ah no, no Jonah Hex in Zula Hex's Coluan bloodline!

At first I thought it was Sharn Nux!!

So here's an interesting question for you since you have so many characters from different iterations and some (especially Kinetix) who has had a ton of looks over her time.

How do you "view" them when you write them?

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 07/23/23 09:32 AM.

Invisible Brainiac #1028092 07/23/23 10:21 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Re the Amazers: in Legionnaires 0, Kid Quantum I is drafted into the Legion. We only see Arnos and Star Boy alongside, and the 3 are competing for the title of Planetary Champion of Xanthu

We do see the Amazers as a team when Star Boy gets drafted, but that is concurrent with LSH 66 - so the Legion could certainly have been formed first, If the Amazers weren’t existing yet as of Legionnaires 0, which is after the Legion’s debut.

Re as to how I see them: I tend to see most of them as of the end of the Reboot canon, except for Kinetix (I prefer her skirt look) and Umbra (I prefer her original reboot look).

As for the newer characters… I tend to see them as having “Rebooted” versions of their canon costumes. (Which is easy as none of my full Active Legionnaires are actually original characters lol!)

Ah parenting smile it’s not easy, so thanks for doing that

And thanks for the kind words re the Vi/Tenzil bit. Yeah, the Duplicate Boy story in adventure was one of my inspirations for this. So was Tenzil sorta flirting with Vi in Legionnaires 66

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/23/23 10:23 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1028093 07/23/23 11:02 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yeah I'm probably going to have Zoe morph a new costume that I'll have to describe. Or I may just use what Drake came up with in his comic as its a nice combo of all the good things.

But you're most welcome! Now I need to do the same for raz & Harbi! laugh

Invisible Brainiac #1028094 07/23/23 11:38 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
In my head canon, Zoe has a slightly different costume every day! I’m just too lazy to actually think of what each looks like lol!

You’re in for a treat - happy reading! smile

Invisible Brainiac #1028105 07/24/23 02:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey IB, you've been busy! (Which is great as it means more fun for me smile )

Tomb being able to influence the Linsnari is a surprise - in my head-canon, they are non-biological, so it kinda surprised me. And as someone with an ex that is a doctor, I can absolutely confirm that they always like to take charge - and now you also know why he's an ex laugh I understand his frustration though, having to micro-manage all the staff while trying to do his own work sounds exhausting! Of course Andromeda wants to bring in Brainy... and nice that she reminded META that she was allowed to interrupt them. The Linsnarian culture is kinda creepy, isn't it? I imagine that actually being there would be something those brutal historic empires that would have slaves with no rights scurrying after the elite.

Saturn Girl and Andromeda together could handle just about any situation, I reckon, so it's great to see them in action together and being as efficient as I'd imagine. Also, it's really clever to have Imra struggle with the minds of alien races - was that ever in canon, other than in the Universo Project when she acknowledged that Reep's mind was weird, I can't think of another example. Her empathy towards Laurel was well handled too, I do like how your team look out for each other. And now underground tunnels are closing off - am desperately trying to thinko fa technological villain that could be behind his, but an coming up blank...I think the bowing and scraping would become annoying very quickly so well done for having your team not let their frustration show.

So, gravity and Gear have called in for some support. Always good to see Brainy in action. The Linsnarians appreciating Brutalist architecture makes sense - function before form, indeed. How impossible would it be to make your way through that city with it having no real landmarks? Haha, I can get lost in my own garden, my sense of direction is so bad, so of course I'm going to think about that. Amp's question about choosing teams is pretty accurate - it's like some of the younger kids I teach asking how we listened to music before streaming. Technology creates gulfs between generations even in the 31st century, it seems. I did like the reboot Brainy using his force fields more effectively. "I am not some holo-villain who will be flattered into revealing his plans," haha, how true, we've seen that too many times. Apparition to the rescue! And another nerve pinch - they really are effective smile Ah, Tarik the Mute - excellent! God call out to him, and having a Robotican at his side is great. Ah, that's a tricky situation, poor Gear, first he has to go back to his own personal hell, then suffer for it. Though it's handy that Amp is there to help get him through it.

Nice scene with Healer, highlighting the cost of using his abilities and his competence. And also shows the trust that Imra has in him. I kind of wihed I'd voted her as leader now, as you do write her as one of the most compassionate Legionnaires, and along with her other skills she would make a great leader in your stories.

Amp and Gravity doting on Gear was sweet! WIN-97, haha, he was pretty rubbish really, wasn't he, haha. The conversation about ethics was tough - I kinda felt sorry for META tbh, as they are doing what they've always done and to her mind Gear is not a hero - it's like that old debate about the difference between a freedon fighter and a terrorist - it depends entirely on which side of the debate you stand. Still, the Linsnari taking more care so they can't be used in a destructive manner would be prudent. Gear's "And please... don't hesitate to call us for anything," almost came across as sarcastic, haha. That was a good ending, and nice that they had already discussed it with KQ before leaving, so it won't come out of the blue.

Inferno! Yay, she's always fun. Sandy living it up on Ventura sounds right, haha, I do think she's follow a live for today motto. Bullying Cosmic Boy - haha, I'd read that quite happily. A problem for Future sandy - haha, we've all done that. And working her way through the cocktail menu - ouch! That's definitely going to impact on Future Sandy! But, again, we've all done it laugh Oh, a new mystery, and who was that giving the disc to Sandy? You've called this section 'Dreamer' so the obvious choice is Nura, but if so then why the cloak and dagger approach. I wonder what the message is?

Oh, that's all, I thought there was more, but what a nice cliffhanger to end on!

This was fun IB, well done for tackling Linsnar, and nice introduction into a new storyline. As usual, I'm left feeling eager for more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
razsolo #1028109 07/24/23 03:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Harbinger
D Oh, a new mystery, and who was that giving the disc to Sandy? You've called this section 'Dreamer' so the obvious choice is Nura, but if so then why the cloak and dagger approach. I wonder what the message is?

oh silly me! now I understand why everyone was thinking of Nura in this segment! I forgot to edit the title! for some reason, I used the title of a much earlier (Volume 1!) segment smile nope, no Nura involved with Sandy, at least not in the Ventura vignette!!

Originally Posted by razsolo
Was that Nura that gave Inferno the disk for Inferno?? Intriguing!
!

Invisible Brainiac #1028120 07/24/23 03:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hi Harbi, thanks for your kind words, glad you are enjoying smile

The Linsnarians are weird, they're techno-organic so there's some machine, some tech. I can't really figure it out either tongue I imagine they have some familiar organs in there that Tomb could tinker with, but there's a lot that Tomb can't affect either smile

re Imra, she had a lot of trouble with "alien" minds in the very early Reboot. See: Tangleweb (LSH 62), and poking in Chameleon's mind too (consistent across two boots!) in Legionnaires 25/LSH 69, as well as the Composite Durlan smile she even thinks that her teammates think, telepathy is just like reading a book - but it's actually immersing yourself in a very alien landscape.

the Legion's camaraderie is one of my fave things about them, so I try to have them live and breathe it!

I've been thinking myself, if I had a flight ring, I could so easily get lost flying home from the office smile

re Imra, yeah I think Imra would generally make a great leader anywhere.

glad you liked the Linsnar bit, and you hit it right on the head when you did say: they've always done it that way. TBH that's why Gear held his tongue so long, he knew he was up against some deep-seated, ingrained beliefs. More to come on that too smile

thanks again for the R&R, Harbi!

Volume 5 - Meet your new Leader and Deputy!
Invisible Brainiac #1028132 07/24/23 07:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 5: What Makes Us Special

Legion World

Roll Call - click here for a refresher

Magno was taking a sip of his iced coffee, when he felt the tell-tale shaking of the table he shared with XS. He pursed his lips; the Legion's meeting room had smaller individual consoles, though there were a few double-seated ones, like the one they shared.

"Jenni..." Magno leaned over to whisper. "You're going to shake this table apart if you continue like that."

"OhgoshsorryDyrk," XS tsked at herself, and forced herself to slow down. "Sorry, I just get so antsy when waiting..."

"I know, and you shouldn't be sorry," Magno smiled. "Go on, let some of your energy out. I'll just be here."

XS shared a grateful smile and dashed off.

Magno smiled as he watched her run around the room and say hi to some of their teammates. He sighed as he sipped his iced coffee again.

After all, they would be getting a new leader today - whomever won was in for quite a ride!

"Oh Jazmin!" XS ran up to Kid Quantum, who was grinning ear-to-ear as she waited at the podium. "I just want you to know that you've done a great job, I just didn't vote for you cause I knew you wanted a break and, well, you're just awesome!" XS went in for a hug, and Kid Quantum smiled as she hugged XS back.

"Thanks, Jenni, that means a lot," Kid Quantum didn't say that at least a third of the team had said the same thing before she even entered the room. What she'd gathered from Cosmic Boy was that the incumbent wasn't usually re-elected, mainly because the incumbent had usually expressed their desire to step down once calling for new elections!

Over in the first row, Nightwind and Microbe were chatting. "Of course I'll reach out to Swallowtail," Nightwind smiled. "She's brave for explaining her fear of the wind. Happy to help her out of it." She touched Drura on the forearm. "How HAVE you been, Drura? Things have been hectic lately, we really should catch up."

Microbe smiled; she and Nightwind had been among the five "original" new Legionnaires, formed after the disappearance of the "original" originals. For some time, it had been just them. Even though they didn't have that much in common outside the Legion, they shared that much, and that counted for something.

"All good! Chemical Kid did say he thought I should space out my media appearances more, to avoid people thinking I was trying too hard to promote Somahtur..." Microbe laughed. "So my next thing will be this charity gala in a month - Chameleon's going too." Drura idly thought that she might get to bring a guest; Chameleon was bringing Spark, of course. Drura wasn't interested in dating now, but maybe one of her closest friends... "I do appreciate that my schedule seems lighter these days! And how have you been?"

"I feel like I have TOO much free time, sometimes," Nightwind laughed. "Not that I miss all the admin that came with being Legion leader... I guess I'm figuring out what else to do. Actually, your suggestion about Swallowtail makes me think, maybe I can give extra flying classes. We have flight rings, but wind currents can be tricky even for the most experienced fliers..."

"That would be great!" Microbe gushed. "Oh, and if you're looking for something to do, we do have a few more missions planned on Corvan IV, to speed up their agricultural development. We could use your help." Microbe laughed. "Gates is thinking of asking the next leader to up the required hours that each Legionnaire should allocate per month..."

Nightwind's voice dropped conspiratorially. "Lamprey tells me quite a few of us voted for Gates! Can you imagine?"

Microbe bit her lip. "Um, I can, I was one of them..."

"No, really?" Nightwind leaned back involuntarily.

"Yes!" Microbe said, with a hint of defiance. "He's not the most diplomatic, but he really does care about development and relief - which I think is even more important than fighting the bad guys. And you have to admit, even though he's blunt he usually has a point..."

"I get that... I've worked with him, he has some great battle tactics, and he's not shy about praising if he feels you deserve it..." Nightwind conceded. "I just can't imagine him actually facing Winema Wazzo or the UP Senate..."

"He did do that before!" Microbe said, a bit more passionately than she intended. "That's how he got this whole relief program started!"

A row behind Microbe and Nightwind, Gear plopped down beside Sensor and Shikari. "So, how are my social change influencers doing?" Gear laughed.

"We can say the same for you," Sensor's eyes twinkled. "Apparition tells me that the UP is set to debate just how they can regulate the Linsnarians. It's a fine line between controlling your people, and simply holding them accountable for the consequences of their actions."

"Hey, that's how it works on most worlds, right?" Gear laughed. "Commit a crime, do the time. It's not like we're going to go around mind-controlling every Linsnarian... But enough about that," he leaned forward. "How goes it with your people?"

"My father is hemming and hawing," Sensor laughed. "But my brother and I keep using the "remember how the Dark Circle fooled you"**, bit, so he's listening. We're continuing to broaden opportunities for citizenship consultations, and are amending the laws to include more topics that can be brought forward for referendums..."

"And I am pleased to see everyone be more considerate of my Kwai brethren," Shikari added. "We are now exploring other trades besides simply navigating the Thresholds... three of us are volunteering to watch the lightning beasts on Korbal, another four are joining some exploratory missions on newly-discovered worlds..."***

Ferro leaned back, arms crossed as he watched a holo of the fabric patterns of the twelve tribes of Talok VIII. He wasn't in the mood for chitchat today; well, he wasn't much in the mood for anything these days. He had purposely chosen a seat in the corner to be alone. He-

He wasn't even focusing on the holo, he scolded himself. He knew it was stupid, but there was one thing on his mind...

Mentalla. Ferro braced himself inwardly as she entered the meeting room with Echo, Sizzle, Density, Element Lass, Chameleon and Spark. Mentalla turned and waved at Ferro with a smile.

Happy that his mask concealed his facial expressions, Ferro waved back. His heart both leaped and sank as he watched Mentalla make her way to him. Bad enough that she was dating Echo; but she had been becoming more social lately, which made trying to avoid her more difficult...

"Ferro! I haven't seen you around the cafeteria as much lately!" Mentalla smiled shyly as she approached him. "How have you been?"

"Oh, just fine, Mentalla, focusing on my sewing..." Ferro looked away. "I'm actually watching a holo now, I'm in the middle and it's getting interesting..."

"Oh, okay, I always admired your skill in making clothes," Mentalla said awkwardly. "Um, a bunch of us are planning a picnic in three cycles, do you want to join? We're keeping it small, around eight of us max, just so we don't have too many of us off Legion World at the same time..." Mentalla beamed. "We'd love it if you could join, though..."

"Ah, I think I'll be on duty then," Ferro said. "Thanks... maybe next time?"

"Oh, okay, well maybe next time, Troy and I are thinking of doing this monthly with a rotating group, so I'll make sure to link you the details for the next one far in advance..." Mentalla said. Ferro grunted a thank you as she went back to join Echo.

"Ferro can't make it," Mentalla told her boyfriend.

"Ah well, I'll mark him as a NO, then I can ask Karate Kid later..." Echo began. He was already tapping on his Omnicom, drawing up the list of invitees.

"Yeah..." Mentalla frowned as she sat in her seat. Something didn't seem quite right with Ferro... she didn't want to pry, but the whole vibe he gave off didn't make it seem like he'd be open for a one-on-one coffee with her...

She looked over at Echo, who was already checking for dietary restrictions for the confirmed picnickers. It was a couple's project, inviting different teammates every time so they could get to know everyone more. But Mentalla had insisted Ferro be on the first picnic; he had been one of the most welcoming to her when the Legion had expanded, after all.

... maybe she should ask Kinetix for advice... everyone raved about how good she was with this sort of thing...

Behind Mentalla and Echo, Impulse had his arms crossed over his chest. Though he was a Reservist rather than an Active Legionnaire, Kid Quantum had asked him here to update the team about some of the enhancements to the medical programs available for the team. Seeing all the active members milling about, Impulse marveled at how large the team had grown since he had stepped down to Reservist status. He did know everyone from treating their injuries and giving medical consults, but he realized he didn't really know how many of them would act in battle...

"This seat taken?" Impulse looked up to see Chemical Kid smiling at him. Impulse paused for a moment, cursing that lovely smile on Condo Arlik's face. Impulse had always found the former reporter very handsome... but he had to keep reminding himself that Condo was happily taken.

"Of course," Impulse motioned for Condo to sit. "Only room for one though, so... is Lyle going to sit on your lap, or something?"

Condo laughed. "Not during a meeting," he winked. "Lyle's there beside Cham and Violet, and he'll probably sit there the whole meeting - some Espionage Squad stuff."

"Your boyfriend should pay more attention to you," Impulse tried to keep his tone light. Almost instantly, he regretted his quip; he and Condo had developed a sort of friendship, while Impulse was tutoring Condo in biology when Condo was still coming to grips with his chemical powers. They had similar senses of humor, but Impulse was often afraid he would go too far...

It didn't help that Impulse didn't particularly like Lyle Norg. Not just because Lyle had Condo's heart, but because Lyle had a reckless, grandstanding streak that irritated Impulse to no end... Like that time*** Lyle had inserted himself into the rescue squad for the Monitor's hostages, and leapt in front of Condo's containment tube despite not being invulnerable, forcing Kent to take the blast...

But despite Impulse's worries, Condo just laughed. "Oh, don't worry, he does," Condo's eyes twinkled. "But what about you, Doctor Shakespeare? You told me you've been on a few dates, has anyone come close to meeting your very high standards?"

"I wish," Impulse rolled his eyes, grateful that Condo hadn't noticed anything. "Half the guys I link with don't even reply; another third immediately ask what I'm into in bed, and most of the rest send me unsolicited nudes. I've only dated three in person, and one of those could barely hold a conversation. While another couldn't decide what to order even after reading the menu thrice, and the third is in an open relationship..." Impulse raised his hands in mock surrender. "All the good ones are already taken, it seems."

"Don't think like that," Condo laughed. "You're a good one, and you're not yet taken." Impulse wanted to punch something, but settled for clenching one of his fists under the table. "Have you thought about dating someone on Legion World?" Condo continued. "Oh, and I do have a couple of friends whom I could set you up with?"

Impulse was saved from replying by Kid Quantum clearing her throat. "Meeting's starting, everyone," Saturn Girl broadcast helpfully. Kid Quantum gave her a thankful smile.

"Okay, sentients and gentlebeings, thank you for making time for this - my last meeting as your leader." Before she even finished introducing, the room erupted in applause.

"Thank you, thank you, now some other poor teammate can drive themselves crazy doing this job," Kid Quantum laughed. "I do want to thank you all for your cooperation; you've made all the admin reports make easier to stomach."

The meeting passed by fairly quickly; the next Legion tryouts were scheduled; the court dates for the Zodiac Signs' trial were announced; Gates shared about some of the upcoming relief missions; and Impulse talked about the enhancements for the medical assistance available to Legionnaires. A few recent missions were discussed, and Chameleon shared some of the things the Espionage Squad was looking at - such as the investigation into who had paid Pollen's gang to kidnap some Swizzarians. Kid Quantum ended by reminding everyone, that although the Espionage Squad had their fixed permanent membership, any Legionnaire could be invited to help out as needed. "We want to keep ahead of potential threats," Kid Quantum stressed.

Cracking her knuckles, she grinned. "And finally, the moment of truth. Are you ready to meet your new Leader and Deputy Leader?"

"Yeah, we've been placing bets!" Wildfire whooped from the back of the room, to much laughter all around.

Kid Quantum was all smiles as she pressed the button to announce the results. "Okay, the second-highest vote getter and our new Deputy Leader is..."

The screen flashed, and there was silence.

Then Star Boy stood up. "Wow, this is awesome!"******

"Are you kidding?" Umbra was incredulous as she looked at Star Boy.

The room erupted into chaos.

"This is a joke, right?" Density asked Gravity, who shrugged as he observed the room.

"I think your odds were off," Amp said dryly to Lamprey, who struggled to come up with a response.

"Come on, everyone, this isn't nice!" XS hissed. "We should be congratulating..."

"This is the most entertaining Legion meeting I've ever been in," Spark shook her head. Ultra Boy just shook his head.

"I think this is wonderful!" Lume beamed.

Kid Quantum clapped her hands to call order. The chaos continued though, with Legionnaires reacting to one another. She sighed. "Saturn Girl, if you would?"

"I will handle it, Kid Quantum!" beamed the new Deputy Leader. "I did win this mandate, after all!" Moving to the front of the meeting room, the Deputy Leader tapped on the console and called up a video of a Kathooni Vampire Bat. Turning up the volume, the new Deputy Leader pressed play.

The high-pitched onslaught stilled the room, making everyone turn towards the front.

"Now that I have your attention," the Deputy Leader faced the team, hands on hips. "Shame on you all, we're all professionals and adults here, this isn't some school for larvae!"

"But-" Timber Wolf began.

"I'm sure Kid Quantum will assure you this is most certainly not a joke," Gates interrupted Timber Wolf.

"Gates IS our new Deputy Leader," Kid Quantum said calmly, eyeing Timber Wolf and a handful of the other more rowdy Legionnaires.

"Our by-laws are clear," Brainiac 5 interrupted, frowning at the disrespect being shown to his best friend on the team. "Election results are final, unless proved fraudulent or the winner declines. I cannot fathom anyone having both the means and motivation to bypass the security protocols for casting votes, and I am completely certain of Gates' integrity, and willingness to take the post."

"You know me very well, Brainiac 5," Gates' eyes twinkled. "And thank you for this endorsement." Gates beamed across the room of faces. Some were eager, some like Microbe had a look of distaste at the chaos and disruption caused by their teammates, and many were still in disbelief. "Now, I would love to know with whom I will be working for my term. Kid Quantum, would you be so kind?"

Kid Quantum kept her face unreadable as she approached the podium once more. Tapping on the screen, she looked at the room. "And our election winner is..."

The screen flashed once more. There was a sharp intake of breath, and Apparition, XS, M'Onel and Chameleon all stood up and began to clap. Kinetix let out a big whoop, and Spark's and Live Wire's hands crackled as they pumped their fists up. Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl also had approving looks on their faces, and Violet and Invisible Kid applauded more quietly but still happily.

Rebound's face lit up like the moon, and he turned to his seatmate. "Congratulations, this is so great!"

Triad stood up from her chair, visibly shaking. "I'm sorry, everyone, I... oh!" She held up a finger. "Sorry, I'm getting mixed feelings!"

And Triads Orange and Purple burst out from Neutral.

"Oh my grife, oh my grife!" Orange covered her mouth, looking like she might faint.

"Who the sprock thought this was a good idea?!" Purple began glaring at her teammates. "I have enough work already!"

"Sisters!" Neutral snapped, forcibly reintegrating Orange and Purple*****; both only had enough time to look shocked before Neutral stood, hugging herself. Rebound offered his hand in support; he was still beaming, and he didn't want to take away from Triad's big moment.

Triad smiled, squeezing Chuck's hand in gratitude. Then she flew over to stand beside Gates and Kid Quantum. "Thank you for allowing me that display, everyone," she said. "I know that I, as a Carggite, show my mixed emotions more visibly than most races would - but I think this demonstrates just how diverse AND accepting we are, as a team." Approving murmurs sounded across the room, and Triad paused for a moment to look everyone in the eye. "Despite my initial shock, I appreciate this honor, and I'm really grateful for the trust you're already showing me." She turned to her new Deputy. "Congratulations, Gates."

"I look forward to working with you too, Triad," Gates beamed.

"Now, I think we could use some time to get used to the idea," Triad continued. "Unless you had anything else on the agenda, Kid Quantum...?"

Kid Quantum shook her head with a big, relieved smile. Cosmic Boy caught her eye and winked; he knew firsthand how it felt, officially turning over the responsibility of leadership.

"Then I'll schedule some time for us to hand over, and for me and Gates to start planning. For now..." Triad turned to the team. "Refreshments are in the next room. See you all at the next meeting."

Triad forced herself not to triplicate as she watched some of her friends come forward to congratulate her. She tuned out Gates' nagging her for her next available time to meet, and put on her best smile as Kid Quantum congratulated her for winning.

She was so not sure what to feel about this.

********************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) See Volume 1. The "true originals" are the canon team, they disappeared after Titans/Legion and during Infinite Crisis; the Legion was hastily re-formed with some Legion Cadets (Nightwind as leader, Babbage, Blizzard, Impulse, Microbe).

Nightwind stepped down as Legion co-leader earlier in Volume 4.

Chemical Kid used to be a reporter, so he's unofficial media liaison. Chameleon is also active in making public appearances because he's acting as an ambassador of sorts for Durla, similar to what Microbe does for Somahtur.

2) Orando: Sensor's dad, King Charlz, was hoodwinked by the Dark Circle into temporarily leaving the United Planets, to join the puppet group "Affiliated Planets". He thankfully realized his error after the Dark Circle was exposed, and rejoined the UP. Sensor and her brother, Prince Willum, had already been standing up to the King, and protecting the rights of the raccoon species on Orando to help bring them into equality with the snake species. (LSH 106-108, L* 62-65). They are now making Orando more inclusive, in response to the Snake (Slizz)'s turn in Volume 4, where one of her motivations was to overthrow the Orando royal family and take their place.

Kwai: similar, Chakuq the Rooster was a Kwai, and joined the Zodiac gang cause she wanted riches and pretty things and stuff. Working with Matriarch Enkenet, Shikari is looking into ways of letting the Kwai feel like they have options other than just navigating for the Thresholds

3) Impulse saving Invisible Kid from the Monitor's blast: happened in Volume 3. Note, while Impulse only has this to go on, way way back Invisible Kid did disobey Cosmic Boy's direct orders, and sneak out to join the Tangleweb v2 mission (LSH 67-68).

4) re Star Boy and Gates - they joined together (LSH 76), so they developed a sort-of friendship as the two newbies then. Star Boy would often complain to Gates, and Gates would sometimes complain - and share his opinions - with Star Boy

re Umbra and Gates - Umbra often had friction with our outspoken friend (see: Legionnaires 65, she even walked out of the cafeteria because Gates was complaining about something!) But they do have some mutual respect (see Legionnaires 72, in battle with the Fire Elemental) as well as a few scenes from Volume 4, including the big party at the end!

5) See Legionnaires 39 for an instance of Neutral re-integrating Purple and Orange forcibly!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/25/23 12:28 AM.
Volume 5 - Meet your new Leader and Deputy!
Invisible Brainiac #1028133 07/24/23 07:59 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Legion Leader Election Results

A big big thank you again to all who voted!

As a reminder, I asked all voters to rank their top 3 choices. Points would be given as follows:

1st - 5 points
2nd - 3 points
3rd - 1 point

We had 5 voters cast their ballots (I didn't vote myself, but I can say I'm pleased with the results - you've given me a lot to work with!)

The votes were fairly diverse. Where a character was picked by more than one voter, I give a breakdown of the points.

Total:

10 - Triad (2x 5 points)
8 - Gates (1x 5 points, 1x 3 points)
6 - Invisible Kid (2x 3 points)
5 - White Witch
5 - Ultra Boy
4 - XS (1x 3 points, 1x 1 point, plus a write-in 4th place vote worth 0 points)
3 - Kinetix
2 - Element Lass (2x 1 point)
1 - Sensor
1 - Umbra
0 - Chameleon (a "4th place" vote worth 0 points)

as I said, I'm pretty pleased - it's not too tough writing up a reason for why Triad and Gates won, and there's plenty of potential with Triad's 3 selves and Gates' acerbity too wink (oh, and both DO have leadership qualities, so...)

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/24/23 08:00 AM.
Re: Volume 5 - Meet your new Leader and Deputy!
Invisible Brainiac #1028363 08/01/23 03:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey IB, thanks for the message, I missed this when you posted it.

I keep forgetting Magno and XS are a couple - haha, I was thinking "where's Cosmic Kid?" haha seriously, I need to remember it's not all about me and my version. I love Jenni speaking to Jaz, very sweet. Also, nice that several others had also complimented her before she reached the meeting room. Your team are a really kind bunch.

Microbe and Nightwind make an interesting duo, I can't see them having too much in common which you acknowledged, though you gave them a good reason to chat, and nice that Berta will arrange classes with Swallowtail. Interesting convo regarding Gates and I totally get both POVs though kinda hope he gets a position.

Nice reminder of the recent mission to Linsnar and current situation on Orando. Also, good to see the Kwai are branching out a bit, in canon they were just cosmic bellboys really smile

Ah, Ferro, poor chap, feeling all alone. This is an interesting set-up you have here as Mentalla and Troy are oblivious. The arranging of picnics is sweet. Let's hope Troy doesn't try to speak to Ferro as I don't think that'll go quite as well... Oh, also, nice to see Ferro looking into sewing patterns, that's a really good quirk to his personality. And asking Zoe for advice, again, how funny!

And another unreqited crush - Impulse's dating history - hilarious! Anyone who's gone online will relate to his experiences. I'm surprised he even found three to match with laugh Condo and Lyle seem to be pretty tight, so that at least is nice. Who else on LW could Kent date? I think, as he said, all the good ones are taken, and anyone else would probably be on the DL - yuck!

Nice that the medical team and the Espionage team get a slot in the team meeting. as soon as I saw Umbra's reaction I knew who had the deputy spot, haha. I think you'll do wonders with him IB as your Gates is always well written. And Jenni once again shows her heart - she's absolutely right, the reaction from some of the team was uncalled for a d they should really be congratulating him. It'll certainly add to the dynamics of your stories going forward smile Love how he dealt with the rabble by playing a screeching bat, I would love to do that in some classes laugh

Triad will be a great leader! She is consistently an underrated character so I'm really happy to see she got the top spot. And nice you showed her personalities reactions too - "I have enough work already!" haha.

This was great little section, and I'm really looking forward to where you have Triad and Gates take the team going forward. More, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #1028366 08/01/23 04:11 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I am glad I saw Harbi's comment, I totally missed when you posted this as well IB!

Aww, Nightwind and Microbe's little chat about Swallowtail was endearing smile

Nice to see that Gates has a cheer squad, and thanks for the reminder of him backing up his rhetoric!

Our poor boy Ferro is down bad! Let's hope someone metaphorically and/or literally slaps him upside the head before he strays too far down the incel route tongue

I like your little reminder about how everyone's using Zoe as an agony aunt too hahaha

Wow, Triad and Gates!! Triad will be a natural, I always wanted her to get the role in the post-Legion Lost team in the comics...and I think Gates is a super interesting choice because this will be a great way to explore him in a different way. I don't think the Legion have ever had someone in a position of authority who is so overtly political! (Also, the whole thing was worth it for Umbra's reaction hahahaha)

Thanks for posting the voting results, that is a very broad range of characters! Excited to see what kind of dynamics we get with Triad and Gates in charge now!

Invisible Brainiac #1028371 08/01/23 05:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for the R&R, Harbi ! appreciate it tons!

re XS and whom she's dating, heh! that's what happens with so many realities tongue

Kind really describes my team, yeah! I'm definitely channeling a lot of the Reboot there, while imprinting some of what I liked best about that team tongue bit of fantasy fulfillment here

ugh yes about the Kwai, "cosmic bellboys" is both hilarious and apt as to what they did in canon!

yeah, for all his smarts, Troy is oblivious, and Mentalla isn't much better tongue

Impulse's dating history is definitely based on real life, my own online dating experience matches his lol! and thank you for the compliment re Gates smile and absolutely, some of the team went too far with their surprise at Gates tongue

very pleased with Triad too, it will give her a chance to shine for sure.

Invisible Brainiac #1028372 08/01/23 05:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for the R&R too raz, appreciate it tons!!

one of the criticisms Gates had before was him being all-talk (even the Emerald Eye made fun of him doing that lol, see LSH 84), so I made it a point to have him finally walking the walk too!

ah Ferro, I have ideas in mind for him... poor guy, he's in a bad situation but he really should get a bit of a slap!

I can just imagine Zoe having a dramatic breakdown in the middle of the cafeteria one day!

I love how Umbra kind of stole the show with Gates' reveal! and yeah, super pleased at the Triad/Gates duo, this is gonna be FUN to write!

results were interesting for sure, and I love how we got a mix of "yeah that makes sense" and "whoa this is new!" smile

Celebrating Triad
Invisible Brainiac #1028554 08/07/23 04:26 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

RJ Brande's Estate, Mars

Active Legionnaires

Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication. Current Legion leader
Rebound, Chuck Taine of Earth (Canada and Uzbekistan); inflates into a durable bouncing form

Honorary Legionnaires

Rene Jacques "RJ" Brande of unknown; telepathy of unknown levels (See L* 52!); Legion Founder/Financier and United Planets Ambassador to the Second Galaxy

Other Legion Support Staff or residents of Legion World

Lori Morning of 20th century Earth (USA); RJ Brande's adopted daughter
Marla Latham of Earth (Germany and Sweden); Legion adult advisor

*****************************************************************************************

"By damn!" RJ Brande took a swig of his whiskey and slammed the shotglass down on the table, spilling a few drops. "My daughter, the new Legion leader, I'm so proud!"

"Clearly," Marla Latham muttered as he moved to clean the mess up.

"Oh, sit down, Marla!" RJ guffawed as he piled some more pepper gravy onto his fatty steak. "We started our association decades back as employer and employee, but now you're a guest, you're family! Let the robo-drones clean it up!"

Marla eyed the puddle on the table, and wrinkled his nose at the strong smell.

"Please, Marla, it's okay," Triad smiled quietly. "It's a day of celebration. Some things can wait."

Mollified, Marla sat down and reached for his glass, then thought better of it. His instincts were right; a nanosecond later, RJ slapped Marla on the back. "That's my man! Now take a shot, too!"

Before Marla could retort, Lori leaned forward. "So what's it like being Legion leader, huh, Triad?"

"It's been a whirlwind," Triad laughed. "It's only been a day, but already I've had to debrief with Kid Quantum and Nightwind and Gates before Kid Q left on vacation..." Triad picked at her tiramisu before continuing. "I feel like there's still so much to learn!"

Chuck gently squeezed Triad's forearm in support. "But Lu, you already know most of the Espionage stuff, and you've been doing much of the administrative stuff before. That's a large part of it, isn't it?"

"Yes, but there's the geopolitical stuff, the interpersonal team stuff, the UP contacts, the overall team strategy," Triad held her hand out, raising a finger as she counted off points. "There's a lot more to it. Sometimes I think it's too much for one person!"

"Nonsense!" RJ Brande laughed as he slapped the table. "Take it from your old man, Lu! A CEO brings the vision and ties things together, but without the COO, CFO, CRO and all the other Cs, we can't do anything! I didn't know every little bit about Brande Industries, you know that from working as my executive assistant! And you, my dear, don't have to know every little bit as Legion leader, either!"

"I wouldn't make the point the same way, but you know it's true," Marla offered more calmly. He dabbed at his mouth with a napkin; he had just taken a slice of his filet mignon. "The topmost leader's job is to make sure everyone does theirs. But you can draw on their expertise."

"You're right," Triad leaned back. "It's just, I've been so used to working support, and now I'm in the limelight..."

"We'll all help you, Lu," Chuck smiled.

"Yes, we will!" Lori cheered as she pumped her fist.

"Give it time, Luornu," Marla smiled.

"Indeed!" RJ called as he pressed a button. "And now, we toast! I ordered a special bottle of decades-aged ice whiskey from Pluto just for this! And a special non-alcoholic one for you, Lori!"

Lori wrinkled her nose at that, and winked at Chuck. Chuck winked back; they already had an arrangement. As RJ poured Lori's shot glass, she leaned forward to block RJ's view. Chuck quickly switched Lori's glass with a spare one filled with orangeapple juice.

"And of course, not one but three glasses for my darling!" RJ deftly grabbed three shot glasses and set them in front of Triad.

"Oh, um," Triad blushed a crimson red. "Just one please, RJ."

"Nonsense!" RJ laughed. "You're off-duty tomorrow, aren't you?"

"And even if you're not," Chuck smiled gently. "We can ask Chemical Kid to help you metabolize the alcohol. I checked, he's on-duty for the next twelve hours."

"It's... it's not that," Triad bit her lip. "I, uh, thought I could get ahead of all the work, and so... I'm up here alone."

Triad met the eyes of the four surprised faces looking at her, then looked down. "I'm sorry..."

"Ah, well, you're a hardworking lass," RJ smiled, though his smile didn't reach his eyes.

"I didn't realize you came here without your sisters," Chuck said quietly. He didn't say more. "I, uh, hope they're not too busy."

Marla and Lori both looked quietly at their plates.

"I'm sorry," Triad Neutral hung her head. "Maybe I've been letting my worries get to me. I really am. I'll make it up..."

"This... this is good whiskey, RJ," Marla tried changing the subject.

All five sipped quietly. Then Triad Neutral gulped her shot down and stood up. "I'm really sorry everyone, I am! I should have been honest, and I shouldn't worry too much, and..."

"Hey, hey, it's okay!" Chuck stood up and hugged her. "I - we - know what a big thing this is!"

"Aye, lass," RJ's eyes were moist. "We just want you to know that you can come to us any time."

"Yeah, if you need to complain, or just want someone to drink a milkshake with," Lori said helpfully.

"Whether you need to debate, or just to vent," Marla smiled. "We're here."

"Thank you, thank you all," Triad's eyes welled up. "You're the best family I could ever ask for."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/07/23 04:28 AM.
Getting the Lay of the Land
Invisible Brainiac #1028561 08/07/23 05:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Active Legionnaires

Triad Orange, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication. Current Legion leader

Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting

*****************************************************************************************

Chameleon entered the room where the Legion Espionage Squad kept their back-up records and systems. Though the Squad shared much of their knowledge and data with the rest of the team, they used this room for working out theories and connecting the dots. After all, some suspicions were still too nebulous to share with the rest of the team.

"Credit for your thoughts?" Chameleon said lightly as he saw Triad Orange slumped over a console.

"There's just way too much information here," Orange sat up, shaking her head. "I don't see how anyone except Brainiac 5 could look at all this and not have their brain explode!"

"Have a drink. Or two." Chameleon gestured; he had morphed a total of eight arms, and six of them were carrying either a mug or a plate of snacks. He waved these six hands in front of Orange. "And then you can tell me all about it."

"Oh, where do I begin? We still don't know if Mar Londo was working for anyone when he kidnapped Teena Dav. Then we have Tarik the Mute and a rogue Robotican experimenting on Linsnarians, and a mysterious client trying to purchase sentient specimens from Swizzar... "

"We all agree it's suspicious," Chameleon said gently.

"But no strange activity from the Dominators, nothing that seems to connect all of these..." Orange took a sip from the mug holding some warm mint tea.

"We don't KNOW there's a connection yet," Chameleon smiled.

"But what if there is one?" Orange took a chocolate chip cookie from Chameleon's plate.

"There might be," Chameleon nodded.

"Then we should be on top of it! The Zodiac caught us unaware, and..." Orange protested.

"Triad, listen to me," Chameleon said gently. "I can't imagine how much pressure you feel as our new leader, but I can tell you that not even M'Onel could do everything by himself... or do everything in a day. The team's bigger and stronger than we ever were, use us all."

Orange took a deep breath as she watched Cham's smile and his understanding eyes. "You're right, Cham, you're right. I'll assign this to someone, and ensure resources are available to connect the dots, and I'll get it out of my head for a bit."

"That's the spirit," Chameleon said. "We're all in this together."

"Thank you, Cham..." Orange smiled gratefully as she took another cookie. "And these snacks are delicious, too!"

Legion World

Active Legionnaires

Triad Purple, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication. Current Legion leader

Sensor, Jeka Wynzorr of Orando; sensory manipulation

"Nothing?" Triad Purple tapped her foot as she watched Sensor face one of the longest-incarcerated prisoners on Legion World.

"This will go faster if you stop rushing me," Sensor's tone had an edge to it. "You know I can only read sensory data, I'm not a telepath of Saturn Girl's caliber..."

"Well, you're all I have now!" Purple threw up her hands.

Sensor rounded on her. "If it were so important, you could have recalled Saturn Girl or asked a few Titanet staff over!" Sensor jabbed a finger at Purple's chest. "Stop giving me this attitude, you asked for me!"

"Okay, okay!" Purple exploded. "I'm being stupid, I got it!" She crossed her hands over her chest, and breathed deeply. What had Chuck said before? Other people had feelings, too. And she WAS leader now. She couldn't just go around offending people without a care for the consequences. She sighed.

"I'm sorry, Sensor. I wasn't being fair. Or smart."

"It is fine..." Sensor's tone was still icy. Of all the three Triads, it had to be Purple who asked her here! "I can tell you that Ra's al Ghul can see, can hear, can smell and taste; but he cannot feel nor touch." She looked at the pitiful shell of a man sitting in front of them. Ra's al Ghul stared, eyes blank and unblinking, mouth slack and hidden behind a clear oxygen mask. If it were not for the machines hooked up to him, someone would have to wipe the drool off his chin every so often. As it was, all his key bodily functions such as breathing and waste excretion were now running off medical technology. "At least based on my own examinations, Ra's al Ghul appears to be in the same state that the Monitor left him in."

Sensor shuddered involuntarily. She could scarcely imagine... Ra's could see, hear, and think... but now he was stuck in this state, able to perceive the world except through touch, and unable to do anything about it. A living prison, in his own mind. Part of her thought he deserved it, after all the evil acts he had committed over the centuries*, but...

"I'm glad we only hold prisoners before their transport to Takron-Galtos... or, well, those who can't be held or tried normally," Purple whispered. Dr. Mar Londo, for example, had already been shipped off to Takron-Galtos, as had the Zodiac Signs who had been kept whole, like The Rat and The Monkey.

"That brings us to the last of the prisoners," Purple said as she and Sensor walked off. Sensor spared one last glance for the pathetic shell that was Ra's.

"Either Saturn Girl, Mentalla or I check on them daily," Sensor said as they walked past where the remaining Zodiac Signs were held. The Ox, frail and aged, sat quietly in his bed, staring at the holo-screens in front of him.

In the next cell, a seemingly-harmless fluffy gray rabbit was chewing on some leaves. As Triad Purple and Sensor passed, it stiffened, raising its ears and looming around, then it hopped off. The transformed Rabbit.

Across the hall were three objects: a rocking horse, a painting of a snake, and a Kwai doll. The transformed Horse, Snake and Rooster.

"They seem so harmless now," Sensor shook her head. "But they almost killed us."

"And I intend to make sure that doesn't happen again," Purple slammed her first into her palm. "These squajes..."

A loud boom erupted through the hall, and jet-black smoke filled the air. Purple was surprised that her ears had stopped ringing. "Sensor, did you-"

"I'm temporarily blocking our senses, but I can't stop the physical effects!" Sensor was already scrambling to put her transuit on. Purple did the same; she knew that her lungs and her ears would hurt later, but at least she could still act. She looked around for the source of the smoke.

"Don't bother, little one," a booming voice laughed. "These Eastern Zodiac Signs will do my bidding. Don't try to find us."

And the smoke disappeared, just as suddenly as it had appeared.

Purple clenched her jaw as she stared at the three empty cells in front of them. Beside her, Sensor froze.

Purple quickly brought her flight ring to her lips. "Gates, we got a code..."

Purple was interrupted, but this time by a soft golden glow.

"Sisters, I've come for your aid!"

"Only my own sisters call me Sister!" Purple snapped as she flowed into a fighting stance. "Who are yo-" she stopped as the powerful feminine figure in front of her lowered her hood, and smiled. She knew her, from when she had been trapped in the 20th century**.

Purple gasped out the words. "Wonder Woman?"

"It's been a long time, sister," the black-haired woman smiled. "In your time, I am Diana, Goddess of Truth. And I see I was too late to prevent your prisoners from being taken. So now I need your help."

*************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Ra's al Ghul first appeared in the Legion series (after Legion Lost/concurrent with Legion Worlds). His acts included murdering and impersonating United Planets president Leland McCauley; kidnapping and experimenting on citizens from Vyrga, Cargg and Winath to create teleporting hybrids to power transport; trying to force evolution on Earth by creating an extinction level event; trying to kill several Legionnaires, and much more. In Volume 3, I had the Monitor destroy Ra's motor functions so he could continue to study Ra's without risk. The Monitor also stole Ra's knowledge telepathically.

2) Triad was in the 20th century from LSH 92-100. With all the events out there, I'm banking that she's met Wonder Woman once!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/08/23 11:43 AM.
How to be Nice 101
Invisible Brainiac #1028569 08/07/23 06:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Active Legionnaires

Gates, Ti'julk Mr'asz of Vyrga; opens teleportation disks. Current Legion Deputy Leader.

Brainiac 5, Querl Dox of Colu; 12th level intelligence and force field powers
Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu; morphs into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau) and Neptune; underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
Star Boy, Thom Kallor of Xanthu; gravity manipulation

***************************************************************************************

Fifteen minutes before we looked in on Triad Purple and Sensor...

Gates chirped happily as he watched Star Boy and Insect Queen enter and sit down. "Thank you all for coming! Refreshments are at the back; I'm not very familiar with what you mammalian bipeds eat, but Tenzil assures me these are all very delicious!"

"Oh yes," Lamprey nodded happily as she bit into a puff pastry. "They very much are!"

"And I suppose you are all wondering why I asked you here today," Gates beamed. "Well, I figured that my first step as Deputy Leader should be to get a good understanding of where we are, as a team! And so, I invited you, many of my friends and certainly among those who supported my election!"

Lamprey made hacking sounds as she choked on her pastry.

"Are you okay?" Microbe asked, concerned.

Lamprey nodded and waved as she used her power to bring a flow of drinking water to her lips. As Lamprey got her choking in order, Insect Queen raised her hand. "Gates, what exactly DO you want to know? I have to say I voted for you because of all the good things you've done for Xanthu, but it was only because Star Boy said he would vote for you!"

"And I voted for you because of your relief efforts for Xanthu, but actually it was Brainiac 5 who got me thinking about it," Star Boy confessed, a bit embarrassed.

"Oh, don't worry, I know!" Gates waved his arms. "My ego is not nearly so fragile as most of you verrtebrates! I know I was an unexpected candidate, to say the least!"

"So..." Insect Queen held out her hands.

"So, I want to understand why you did vote for me..." Gates continued. "And how to approach and understand those who DIDN'T vote for me!"

Lamprey nearly gagged on the water she was drinking. She motioned her head no when Star Boy leaned over, concerned.

"Well, for one, you might want to work on your approach," Insect Queen pointed out. "Calling everyone "mammalian bipeds", while technically true, isn't exactly endearing... Nor is implying that all vertebrates have fragile egos."

"A focused conversation does help," Brainiac 5 said gently. "Getting to the point."

"It's also called being nice," Microbe added. "You don't appreciate us constantly reminding you that you are insectoid, do you?"

"Yeah, I remember the first time I called you little bug..." Star Boy muttered. "Or said Vyrgan child-rearing practices were odd. Thought you would verbally chew my head off..."

"This is all wonderful!" Gates said as he tapped on his Omnicom. "I'm taking notes!"

"Um..." Lamprey had been growing more and more uncomfortable by the second. "Gates, I have to confess, I didn't vote for you either..."

"Oh, I know!" Gates didn't even look up from his typing.

"Oh..." Lamprey blushed. "Then... why am I here?"

"I know you asked a lot of the others who they voted for, so I was thinking you could share some of the reasons why people voted - or didn't vote - for me," Gates said happily. "Anonymously, of course. I don't need to know who said what, I just want to address things."

Lamprey looked relieved at that last bit.

"Oh, and because you're so nice and considerate," Gates continued. Lamprey raised an eyebrow. "You're always letting people talk first, and complimenting people and all that, I thought you could help me be more likable!"

"Ah well, happy to..." Lamprey stammered. Nice? Considerate? She supposed...

Triad's voice rang out on the flight ring network. "Gates, Lamprey, please report to the command center!"

"Ah, what timing!" Gates raised his hands. "Sorry all, but you've already given me such useful info... if you're willing to do another...? I'll link you. Now, Lamprey..." Gates opened a teleportation disk.

"Gates, remember what we discussed about asking," Brainiac 5 quietly whispered to his friend.

"Oh yes, yes," Gates nodded. He cleared his throat. "Would you like to teleport with me, Lamprey?" At Lamprey's nod, the two disappeared through Gates' glowing disk.

Brainiac 5, Microbe, Insect Queen and Star Boy looked at each other. Insect Queen sighed as she headed over to the refreshment table.

"He means well," Star Boy shrugged.

"I think most of us will appreciate his good intentions," Microbe said carefully.

Brainiac 5 sat down. His twelfth-level intelligence did let him comprehend social cues; but he didn't always have the patience or desire to follow them. He used to be rude, but not because he didn't understand the impact of his rudeness; he just didn't care. Now, he did though; and he did understand that Gates' earnest openness could make some of his teammates feel awkward.

Perhaps he should spend a bit more time with Gates in social situations...

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/08/23 04:09 AM.
Oh My Goddess!
Invisible Brainiac #1028571 08/07/23 07:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Active Legionnaires

Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication. Current Legion Leader.
Gates, Ti'julk Mr'asz of Vyrga; opens teleportation disks. Current Legion Deputy Leader.

Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis, can see heat signatures
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau) and Neptune; underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Nightwind, Berta Skye Harris of Earth (Iceland) and Enwa; wind and air manipulation, enhanced vision

Reserve Legionnaires (Still in the Legion Cadet program)

Dryad, living remnant of the dead planet of the same name; malleable rock body, geokinesis and terrakinesis

Allies

Diana, Goddess of Truth (formerly Wonder Woman)

***************************************************************************************

"Wait, wait, wait," Inferno shook his head impatiently. "So our five captive Zodiac Signs were taken by Ares, the Greek God of War?"

Diana nodded her head. "This is a delicate matter, and why Athena sent me."

"I thought Zeus was the leader of the Greek pantheon?" Nightwind rubbed her temples. "This is all so confusing."

"Let's give Wonder- I mean, Diana, a chance to explain," a recombined Triad hushed the group. Thankfully, RJ's dinner party had finished not long before the call came in, though Triad had wondered if she had drunk too much whiskey when she'd heard what had happened. She was also sweating a bit; she had always looked up to Wonder Woman as a great hero, but now she was a full goddess? What did that even mean? How reverent should she be?

She wanted to clutch at the little pendant around her neck. On Cargg, everyone believed in the one Lord Valor, the seeder of worlds. She could just imagine other Carggites would be melting into puddles by now... but at least her time as a Legionnaire had given her experience with other belief systems... and having Lord Valor actually be her teammate M'Onel also made things easier to process.* But even with all that...

"Athena has, after a long competition, earned leadership from Zeus," Diana smiled. "To be fair, Zeus had wanted to step down a bit... he has seen the... wisdom in letting someone more open to things take charge." Diana didn't want to go into details, so she left out that others such as Hera, Poseidon and Hades had been questioning Zeus' decisions more, lately. After all, the 31st century was a time of science; the beliefs in the old gods were waning. And that's why other pantheons, like the Chinese ones who had dealt with the Zodiac Signs, had largely left the mortal world alone. Athena had decreed the same, and now the Greek gods had hidden themselves away from human affairs. Most of them, anyway.

"But Athena is new to the position," Diana continued. "And there are some who don't agree, like Ares." Diana leaned back.

Inferno looked at her. He had met her during his own jaunt into the past, even worked alongside her to rescue Cosmic Boy. She had clearly remembered him, and greeted him warmly. But this was all just so weird. Suddenly she appears in their own time, and...

"Because most of the Zodiac Signs were transformed by the Chinese pantheon," Diana continued. "Ares knows that breaking their enchantment would be akin to a declaration of war."

"The Chinese gods seemed very reasonable when we encountered them, though," Gates pointed out. "Surely they won't attack you if they understand it's one rogue god?"

"It is not that simple," Diana smiled. "There are tensions between the Chinese pantheon, and their culture also demands that they not lose face. Not responding to this insult would be seen as weakness. Athena is in touch with the most level-headed of them, and they are hoping to resolve this cleanly and easily. Sadly, this means I cannot draw on the talents of the other gods, as we are trying to keep this quiet. Therefore, I came to you."

"And we can prove it," Triad said. "I discussed this with Diana..."

"Indeed." Diana reached into her pouch and pulled out a glowing golden lasso. "The Lasso of Truth. You know that it compels all to tell the truth." She wrapped it around her wrist. "I confirm that all I have said is truth. I am the same Diana who used to be Wonder Woman, who met many of you when you rescued Cosmic Boy from the 21st century. I confirm that I need your help to stop Ares from restoring the Zodiac Signs."

"And how did you become a goddess?" Sensor asked, eyes narrowed.

"I was invited to, after I perished in battle," Diana smiled. "It was my greatest triumph, and I thought I could take on another responsibility for a while."

"I'm convinced," Triad continued. "If you all are..." She met eyes with each Legionnaire around the table. One by one, they all nodded. "Good, then we leave in ten. Gates, you're in charge while I'm gone."

"Lovely!" Gates beamed.

"Remember, I haven't agreed to some of your proposals yet," Triad sternly reminded. "Please don't act on those until we've discussed."

"Of course, of course," Gates nodded, a little too eagerly. "I've sent you the minutes," Triad pressed. "That's the full record of what we've agreed and what we've tabled."

"Yes, for sure," Gates nodded. "Don't worry, I'm not some mammal- I mean, I'm not a usurper," Gates reminded himself to rein his opinions in.

"Good," Triad said as she followed Diana out the room.

************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) The Valor beliefs are strong on Cargg and a few other worlds; it was this "fanaticism", as Cosmic Boy put it, that led the Legion to keep Valor's successful return from the Phantom Zone a secret! (LSH 74, Legionnaires 31). Valor took the name M'Onel to hide his identity (Legionnaires 37).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/07/23 09:15 AM.
Re: Oh My Goddess!
Invisible Brainiac #1028615 08/08/23 06:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Active Legionnaires

Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis, can see heat signatures
Nightwind, Berta Skye Harris of Earth (Iceland) and Enwa; wind and air manipulation, enhanced vision

Dryad, living remnant of the dead planet of the same name; malleable rock body, geokinesis and terrakinesis

Allies

"Are you sure that we're enough?" Lamprey peered at the small group. Everyone else had departed the room, and they were the only ones left standing in the meeting room. "If Ares is so powerful, shouldn't more of us be going?"

"I am, little sister," Diana soothed. "Your abilities are needed for the obstacles we will encounter; and Triad is your leader. But I know of your deeds, and you are all very capable warriors."

"I am eager to meet this magical land you speak of," Dryad rumbled softly. "A magical island hidden in the cosmos."

"Yeah, and you're the remnant of a magical sentient planet," Inferno chuckled. "Sometimes, I wonder if I'm dreaming."

"If everyone is ready..." Triad coughed. At seeing the four nods from her teammates, Triad gestured towards Diana. "Whenever you wish."

"Close your eyes and link hands," DIana instructed. Then she took out the talisman that Athena had given her...

.... and the group vanished.

****************************************************************************************

Dryad looked in awe at the island floating in front of them. A lush green mountain crowned a small block of land that looked pristine and healthy. Bubbling waterfalls and springs dotted the landmass, and the cries of wildlife echoed from the distance.

And yet...

"It's an island. Floating in space." Nightwind breathed. "How...?"

"Magic, of course," Diana's eyes twinkled.

Lamprey reached out. "The-there's a sea around it. Or at least, saltwater. I can feel the difference from the freshwater flowing down the island. I..."

"And the rock..." Dryad rumbled. "Just like what I would feel on a terrestrial world."

"We can take a holo and marvel at it later, team," Triad said firmly. "I don't understand it either, but we have to hurry."

"Let me introduce ourselves, first," Diana cautioned. "This island is alive, after all."

"And out of politeness, I suggest we refrain from manipulating any of the elements therein," Dryad noted. "I know I would not take it kindly if a first-time visitor were to move my rocks around."

"Living rock etiquette 101..." Inferno whispered to Nightwind, who stifled a giggle.

Lamprey blushed, thinking that she had already reached out mentally to "feel" the water. "I hope I didn't offend..." she mumbled. Then her recent conversation with Gates entered her mind. Gates had invited her because she was considerate and nice... Always letting other people talk first... she...

Lamprey felt a nudge. She turned to see Nightwind pointing at Triad and Diana, who were talking to a... a...

A hologram, it would seem. A vision of a young woman listened attentively as Diana spoke. "We are here to intercept Ares, my dear Aeolia."

"My goddess, I apologize," the young woman prostrated herself. "I may not bar any of the gods from entering, nor may I interfere with their activities..."

"You have done nothing wrong, dear sister," Diana soothed. "Please, stand up. Athena herself has decreed that you bear no responsibility for anything. We will deal with Ares."

"I thank you..." Aeolia still did not look up. Lamprey wanted to hug the poor dear!

"My esteemed Aeolia," Dryad bowed before the vision. "My colleagues and I, we manipulate the natural elements. I would ask for your permission to do so with the rock and earth, water and air, on yourself if we have dire need."

"Of... of course, my liege," Aeolia stammered.

"We'll try not to make a mess," Lamprey whispered. Then she kicked herself mentally. Too nice!

"Indeed," Dryad boomed. "We will do our best to show due respect to you."

"You are most welcome to act as you see fit," Aeolia continued. "I will open the doors for you."

Inferno shook his head. "Doors? What doors?"

"I can feel it," Dryad said. "An invisible barrier has been lifted."

"Ah, well, if you say so..." Inferno muttered as he flew after Diana.

"She has decorated herself well," Dryad marveled as they flew over pristine forests. "She has laid a trail that looks completely natural."

Nightwind shook her head. "Trail? What trail? Is it some kind of invisible magical trail that only you can see?"

"I can see it too," Diana laughed. "And I am only using what I learned hunting and tracking on Themyscira. But I grew up in the fields and forests; all of you, besides Dryad, grew up in large cities, I assume."

"More like a small town for me," Nightwind said. "By 30th century standards, anyway. But I understand what you mean. I never really spent time learning to track things."

"I spent a lot of time underwater on Neptune..." Lamprey added. "Though also in the city, so it's not like I was swimming around a lot. Not until my powers manifested, anyway..."

"We are here," Diana landed in front of a cave. She turned to the Legionnaires. "We will have to pass four barriers before we reach Ares, one for each element. The barriers are meant to be benign, but we cannot assume that Ares hadn't laid traps. Please, follow my lead."

"We can use our lamps?" Triad asked Diana.

"Yes, your technology should work here," Diana smiled.

"Then I don't need to go first. Ladies first, then," Inferno gestured, smiling. Fishing his handheld lamp out of his belt pouch, he followed Diana into the darkness of the cave.

They had been walking about ten minutes, by Inferno's reckoning, when Diana stopped. Inferno looked around; the way forward seemed clear. "Don't tell me: the first invisible obstacle?"

"Indeed," Diana smiled. "Nightwind, the first test is a test of air." Nightwind stepped forward, cracking her knuckles. "Great, what do I have to do?"

Diana gestured to the space before them. "What do you feel with your powers?"

Nightwind reached out, her eyes twinkling in the dark. Her half-Enwan heritage gave her large eyes that could see better in Enwa's long night-cycle, but... "Oh! All I see is empty space, but I feel..." she began sensing the air currents. "An invisible maze?"

"Exactly correct, little sister," Diana nodded.

"And I suppose I have to reach the end of the maze?" At Diana's nod, Nightwind closed her eyes and focused. She made herself sense the air currents, and... a left here, a right there, a bit of a loop...

Behind her, Inferno sat down on a rock. He began to say something to Lamprey, who just nodded quietly. She didn't want to reply lest they make noise, but she didn't want to tell Inferno to cut it out... Triad shook her head at them and put a finger to her lips. "Let Nightwind concentrate," Triad chided. Lamprey's cheeks burned. Perhaps she should have said something to Dirk...

Nightwind was beginning to sweat as she felt around with her powers. By her reckoning, she'd felt along several klicks now... and each time, all she could feel was solid unyielding force. And then... something that budged! She began compressing the air currents, and then gave one final push.

She heard a click, and opened her eyes. Beside her, Triad gasped. A glowing bluish crystal wall suddenly appeared in front of them... and a crack appeared in the middle. The two halves of the wall slid, one to the left, one to the right, clearing the way forward.

"Wow," Nightwind just breathed.

"Great job," Triad smiled as she motioned the group forward. Lamprey patted Nightwind on the shoulder, and Nightwind smiled in gratitude.

A few minutes of walking more, and Diana stopped again. This time, the cavern had widened into a chamber, with a bubbling stream blocking their path. Diana gestured at Lamprey. "Lamprey, this is a test of water. What do you feel?"

Lamprey stepped forward, heart pounding. What if she didn't feel anything? She took a deep breath, and concentrated on the water.

"There is... oh!" she looked at Diana. "I sense something hard underneath. Like a plank, or a bridge...?" Diana nodded encouragingly. Lamprey kept at it. "I think it's long enough to get us across... but I have to raise it." Lamprey thought for a moment. She could try to stem the current, but it would be exhausting - the bridge was heavy. Yet... she pondered a moment. Did they have to cross here? She remembered her training: always look around, scan the environment. She felt along the edges of the water, at the rock, and... "It narrows a bit up ahead. Is... do you think..."

"Go on," Diana smiled.

"Do you think we should cross there?" Lamprey squeaked out.

"I think you should do what you feel is right," Diana's eyes twinkled.

Emboldened, Lamprey worked at dislodging the bridge she felt. She raised it to the surface of the water; but instead of fighting against the current, she let it flow along with it while steadying it... and she felt it slide against the stream's banks and settle into place.

And once it a bit, they watched the other side of the chamber illuminate, clearly showing a path forward.

"Wow," Lamprey breathed.

"Excellent work," Triad smiled. This time, Nightwind patted Lamprey on the shoulder as they walked along.

In a few minutes more, Diana stopped again. "My dear Dryad, it is now time for Earth."

Dryad stepped forward. In front of them was a wide chasm, as far as the eye could see. Dryad let its mind expand. When it had its full mass, it could have closed the chasm by pulling its edges together... but it was not that powerful now. Besides, it would not risk damaging Aeolia's surface. No, there had to be...

Ah! "There are some rocks below, suspended somehow," Dryad rumbled. It focused on one, pulling it up. It coasted to a stop level to where they were standing. Dryad pulled the next one, and again the next. It kept on and on, until it had reached the last one it felt. Dryad cast its mind a bit forward, and knew that the last one was touching the other end of the chasm.

"Well done, my friend," Diana smiled at Dryad.

"Yeah, well done," Inferno said as he peered at the rocks in front of them. They floated steadily, though there were gaps in between. "I guess we play hopscotch now?"

"I'm not the best jumper," Lamprey seemed worried.

"I think I have a solution," Dryad rumbled. Concentrating on the first rock, he extended its shape, commanding its mass to flow forward so it touched the next rock. "I can temporarily connect these rocks together..."

"... and we have a path!" Triad beamed. "Brilliant!" As the group moved forward, Dryad made sure to return the first rock to its original shape.

"Aren't- aren't you tiring yourself out doing that?" Nightwind asked.

"It does not take much additional effort..." Dryad said quietly. "And it is respectful to Aeolia. After all, this is her surface, her form."

"I wouldn't have thought of that..." Lamprey said as she walked over to the next rock.

As the group made their way to the next chamber, Diana stopped again. Inferno stepped forward, cracking his knuckles. "It's my turn, isn't it?" Diana simply smiled.

Inferno looked around. A fiery pit hung in front of them, and floating on it was a small, round platform made of what looked like marble. It hung, motionless, in the air above the fire. Inferno reached out with his powers, testing. What if he increased the fire on one side, and decreased it on the other?

As the platform moved forward, he had his answer. "Just like Legend of Zelda: The Blossoms of Fire," Inferno grinned.

"So I have to navigate this platform until..." he felt ahead, until he felt the end of the blaze. "Over there." He turned around. "Okay, everyone on."

"Is it safe in our transuits?" Triad asked.

"I'll control the heat flow, but I can tell you that the platform is well-insulated - at least on the side we're standing on," Inferno gestured. He held out his hand as Triad walked over. She leaned on Inferno's forearm with a grateful smile. Nightwind did the same. Diana simply floated over, though she did mouth a thank you to Inferno. Lamprey thought for a second, and then took Inferno's forearm with a bit of a weird smile. Maybe she was just shy, Inferno thought.

Then Dryad came over, and Inferno laughed. "Sorry, big pal. You're way too heavy for me."

"Yes, I suppose I am at that," Dryad rumbled as it stepped forward gingerly.

Once everyone stood on the platform, Inferno made a show of waving his hands. "Okay, brace yourselves." He gently manipulated the flames, propelling the platform slowly and steadily.

Lamprey hugged herself a little bit as they floated over. Nightwind stood beside her. "You okay, Tayla?"

"Oh, just fine, Berta. All this fire though... It dehydrates, and..."

"I don't mean that," Nightwind said gently. "Come on, I know you. You're thinking about something again."

"Am I that obvious?" Lamprey sighed. Berta shook her head with a smile. "Don't worry, I just know you. You're doing that thing where you bite your lip."

Lamprey sighed. "It's stupid. Before our mission, I was with Gates, and he wanted advice on how to be more likable because I'm so nice, so considerate, I always let people go first, and..." Lamprey swallowed as Nightwind gripped her hands in support. "I remember when we were Cadets, I loved the group simulations, but they always did say I seemed like I hung back..."

Nightwind gripped Lamprey's hand in silent encouragement. "I just... Maybe it's how I was raised, we always were taught to respect our elders, and to treat others like how we'd like to be treated. You know? I just naturally defer when it doesn't cost me much. I mean, tell me Berta, am I a pushover?"

"Tayla, no!" Nightwind said soothingly. "You're nice, but you're hardly a doormat. That time Ultra Boy sat in your seat in the cafeteria, you nicely told him you were sitting there but that you'd pull him another chair. That's finding a solution that works for everyone!"

"Yeah, I guess..."

"And besides, do you think the team would have voted you in if you weren't fierce where it counts?" Nightwind winked. "You're a downright tiger shark in battle. And think about it - if Gates wants to ask you for advice, you must be doing something right!"

"Oh Berta, you always know what to say," Lamprey hugged her friend.

Triad watched quietly as Nightwind and Lamprey spoke. "I think Lamprey will be just fine," she whispered to Diana.

"You are proving yourself to be an able leader," Diana said approvingly. Triad stammered out a thanks; Wonder Woman herself was complimenting her!

"We're docking!" Inferno announced as he guided the platform into a semi-circle shaped alcove. The platform came to a gentle stop.

"Okay, everyone, we must assume Ares is right ahead," Diana pointed at the entrance to the next chamber - a smaller pathway with a soft, gentle glow ahead. "This path is a straight path, so if he's alert he will see us coming. But if he's trying to break the transformation spells on the Zodiac Signs, he will likely be distracted."

"Then we hit him hard and fast," Triad nodded. "Okay, here's what we're going to do..."

**********************************************************************************************

Ares hung in the air, concentrating on the objects before him. Those accursed Chinese gods were not just powerful, they were thorough. He could feel the magics they had used, layers upon layers... unravelling each was taking too much of his concentration.

He idly wondered... some of his more magically adept fellows would have been faster, like Hades or Hestia. But he dared not involve anyone knowingly; he wanted a bloody war, after all. At least the device he had taken from Hephaestus' workshop was speeding up the process - he just had to make sure to replace it before it was missed. He...

A sudden whoosh was his only warning. He opened his eyes to see a huge slab of rock wrench itself from the cave walls and slam into him!

"Who dares!" Ares pulled himself from the rubble, drawing his sword. Twin streams of water pounded his eyes, blinding him. With a scream of rage, Ares commanded his armor to disconnect, sending each piece striking out in a different direction. He heard yelps of surprise as his enemies dodged his attack. Following the sounds, he threw his sword in the direction that he heard them.

He heard the telltale clang of bracelets blocking his sword. "Diana, you dare!" Ares howled as he commanded his shield to strike.

The winds picked up, muffling his hearing. Ares grit his teeth, and teleported to the far end of the room. Regaining his bearings, he called his armor to him as he wiped the water from his eyes. He saw five figures in the distance...

And he felt something loop around his arms, drawing them tighter!

"Diana!" Ares roared as he focused on his attacker.

"You will stop this madness!" Diana pulled on her lasso.

"You cannot command me, Diana," Ares flexed, pulling at his bonds.

He heard the five in the distance. Urchins, they seemed, except for one rocky behemoth. One of the females was giving commands. "Grab the objects!" she was saying.

"It's futile to fight, we've foiled you," Diana pulled her lasso tighter.

Ares just smiled.

"We're missing one!" A yellow-skinned female called out. "Where's the Ox?"

"Oh no!" said the one who had been giving commands. "Everybody get off the ground-"

Her words were drowned out as a series of rocky explosions tore through the chamber. The rocky behemoth raised its arms, calling up earth to shield the group.

Ferdinand the minotaur stepped out of the shadows. "I am the Ox no more! I reclaim my birthright, as Ferdinand!"

"Of course!" the realization hit Diana. "Athena herself transformed Ferdinand, making it easier for you to restore him!"

Ares grinned as he watched Ferdinand commanded vines to grow and wrap around the three females. The red-headed male began calling fire to burn through the vines.

Using his own abilities, Ares commanded his shield to strike the fiery male; the redhead fell with a cry. Ares' gauntlet and sword slammed into the rocky one, allowing Ferdinand to drive it back.

"Surprised, Diana?" Ares taunted.

"Not quite," Diana smiled. The yellow one used the winds to slice at the vines holding them, and the green one pointed at Ferdinand, drawing water from his body. The rock being commanded the earth to swallow Ferdinand, holding him fast.

"We've got him for now!" the pale-skinned female, clearly the leader, commanded. "We'll keep him busy. Get the objects!"

Ares watched, eyes narrowed, as the rocking horse was lifted into the air, followed by the painting, the rabbit in its cage, and the doll. But who... it wasn't the wind-wielder. It was someone... invisible?

"Master Ares!" Ferdinand cried as he watched the objects float. "I'm sorry, I... ugh!" Ferdinand's muscles bulged as he fought with the rocky one over control of the very earth under them.

"You might as well surrender, Ares, it's over." Diana yanked at the lasso, forcing Ares to stand.

"Oh, do you underestimate me that much?" Ares simply laughed. After all, he had learned from his past mistakes. Athena may think she was the master tactician, with Ares focusing on savagery, but Ares had not been a god for this long without honing his battle tactics. He watched as the objects began to spark, and two screams emanated from around them. Reality rippled in front of Ares' eyes as a pink half-serpent and a redheaded woman in white fell to their knees.

"Sensor! Mysa!" the leader flew to them. "What...?"

"A trap!" the one called Mysa tried to stagger to her feet. "I tried to cast a counterspell, but Ares enchanted it to draw on my magics, and..."

"And you've done my work for me," Ares howled in laughter as the four objects began to transform.

The Legionnaires and Diana watched in horror as the Snake, the Horse, the Rooster and the Rabbit stood in front of them, restored.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/08/23 09:53 AM.
Re: Oh My Goddess!
Invisible Brainiac #1028618 08/08/23 10:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Aeolia, a magical floating island in space

Active Legionnaires

White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery

Allies

Opponents

Ares, God of War

The Chinese Zodiac

The Ox: Ferdinand of the Minotaurs; geokinesis and chlorokinesis
The Rabbit: Oswald Lepus of Earth-26; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability and senses
The Snake: Slizz of Orando, sensory manipulation
The Horse: Lusyo of Engkanto, self-teleportation
The Rooster: Chakuq of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space. creates vibrations from wings

Diana watched in horror as the reformed Rabbit, Snake, Horse and Rooster faced off against the Legionnaires. Dryad was still stalemated with Ferdinand, both large beings wrestling with each other physically, hand against hand, as each tried to take control of the earth under them. Inferno leaned on Lamprey as they staggered to the others, even as Triad and Nightwind helped Sensor and the White Witch up.

"I think we know who our opponents are, eh?" the Snake laughed. She and the others began to fade from view.

"You will not use your illusions against us, wannabe usurper!" Sensor leaned forward with focus as she entered the Snake's mind.

"I am better than you, spoiled princess!" The Snake tried to fight Sensor's attack off.

"Not if I can help it," the Rooster flew towards Sensor.

"Back off!" Nightwind pointed, sending the Rooster flying backwards. The Horse teleported out of the way as the Rooster flew where he had been.

Reappearing over the Legionnaires, the Horse fell down towards them. "Look out!" Inferno pulled Lamprey out of the way.

"I have outmaneuvered you, Diana," Ares laughed even as he stretched at his bonds.

"Rabbit! Help Ares, he freed us!" Ferdinand called, even as he strained against Dryad. "The god in the armor!"

"The battle is not over yet," Diana was grim as she tied her lasso off, and squared herself to face the Rabbit even as he flew towards her.

"I think it's time for OUR plan B!" Triad called. "Mysa?"

"Yes." The White Witch waved her hands, focusing on the Triad in front of her. The space around them shimmered and glowed, and the spell Mysa had woven came into effect... "Triad, feel your sisters."

Triad opened herself up to the spell, and used her power to draw her other selves to her. She had never done it across such a great distance, but with Mysa's magic boosting her natural Carggite abilities...

A large green glowing disk appeared, and Triad felt her two sisters move closer...

Shikari was the first to emerge from Gates' teleport disk. "We are here!" The disk slowly opened to reveal Gates, Triads Orange and Purple, and about a dozen other Legionnaires.

"No!" Ares forced himself to stand as he watched the tide of battle shift again. "No!"

"Oh yes!" Triad pointed. "Let's go, Legionnaires!"

**************************************************************************************

Additional Active Legionnaires

Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume all forms of matter, and conversion of same into super-strength
Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting
Chemical Kid, Condo Arlik of Phlon; controls chemical reactions
Echo, Troy Stewart of Earth (South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago); sound manipulation
Element Lass, Candi "Princess" Pyponte-LeParc III of Xanthu; transmutation
Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu; morphs into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes
M'Onel, Lar Gand of 20th century Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers, flight
Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space
Sizzle, Teela Spuunvil of Abaddonus; absorbs and converts energy
Star Boy, Thom Kallor of Xanthu; gravity manipulation
Ultra Boy, Jo Nah of Rimbor; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers and flight, but can only use one power at a time

**************************************************************************************
"So many of them...!" The Horse sounded shocked.

"After all the trouble you gave us last time, we're not taking any chances," Gates snapped.

M'Onel zoomed into the path of the Rabbit, throwing him off-balance. "No!" Ares telekinetically commanded his sword to fly at the flying Daxamite.

"Ah ah, no flying weapons here!" Star Boy focused his gravity power on Ares' sword, causing it to sink to the ground. He cast his gravity powers wider, pinning Ares' left gauntlet to the ground as well. Ares grunted as he felt for the rest of his armor. His shield was still free...

"I've got this one," Element Lass pointed at the shield as it flew through the air. She focused on the nitrogen, turning it into gooey mercury.

Enraged, Ares screamed. "I don't need my weapons to defeat you!" He kicked against Diana, who staggered briefly; it was enough. Ares shrugged the lasso off, faced Diana, and charged.

"Diana!" M'Onel called. "Ultra Boy, Calorie Queen, someone - help her!"

"No need," Diana said through gritted teeth as she considered her options. Ares was enraged now, and he wasn't thinking. Luckily he wasn't; otherwise he would realize that he could overcome Star Boy's gravity and Element Lass' transmutations if he focused his powers enough. And now to use his rage to her advantage... Diana flipped backwards, using her momentum to throw Ares above her head and into the wall. Momentarily stunned, Ares collected himself; but this gave Diana enough time to retrieve her lasso. She jumped at Ares and tried to pin his arms around his sides.

"Looks like Diana has a handle on it. Do you need some help, Sensor?" Calorie Queen flew towards her teammate, who was still locked in a battle of wills with the Snake.

"Please," was all Sensor said. It was taking all her concentration to stop the Snake from casting her own illusions. On the plus side, the Snake was equally unable to overpower Sensor.

"With pleasure." Calorie Queen circled around to gain momentum, and turned in mid-air to smack her feet into the back of the Snake's head. The Snake barely had time to cry out before she fell, unconscious.

"Thanks. And now to help M'Onel." Sensor focused her power on the Rabbit, blinding him. "He can't see or hear, but he can feel," Sensor called. M'Onel headbutted the Rabbit, forcing him back.

"And now he can't breathe, either!" Nightwind commanded the air around the Rabbit to flow away.

"He's still putting up a fight, but we've got him covered," M'Onel slowly forced the Rabbit to the ground.

"Leave him alone!" The Rooster began vibrating her wings, sending deadly shockwaves across the chamber.

"We're prepared for that," Echo pointed at the Rooster, concentrating on the shockwaves, and sending them back at her. The Rooster staggered back, angered. "Stop it!"

"No, you stop it!" Shikari flew at the Rooster, armored up. She attacked from behind, slashing at her fellow Kwai. "You shame our people with your crimes!"

"I just wanted a comfortable life!" screeched the Rooster.

"At the expense of killing us?" Shikari snarled as she fought back.

"Shikari, back off, I have an idea!" Sizzle called. Shikari complied, pivoting in mid-air so that she could kick off the Rooster's chest. Shikari used the momentum to propel herself away.

"She's making a lot of sound energy, and you've helped gather it up," Sizzle addressed Echo. "Now let's see how she likes pure anti-energy?" Sizzle let the sound flow through her body, and turned it into a mega-blast aimed at the Rooster. The Rooster screamed as the blast hit, and she fell to the floor, twitching.

"No!" Ferdinand screamed as he pushed Dryad back. He slammed into the ground, sending a wave of boulders flying at the Legionnaires.

"Behind me!" Ultra Boy called, using super-speed to get in front of Triad and the others. Switching to invulnerability, he let the rocks crash harmlessly into his chest.

"Smart thinking, Jo," Element Lass beamed as she waved her hands. "It's given me time to set up an inertron shield."

"And Ferdinand's plants are under control, too!" Chemical Kid called. Beside him, Insect Queen had taken the form of a Bismollian Aphid. "This species wiped out almost all plant life on Bismoll once," Insect Queen laughed. "It secretes a poisonous substance... it does take time, though."

"Which is why I'm accelerating the plants' rate of decay," Chemical Kid laughed as he spread his power wide, causing vines to wither and wilt.

"I am sorry, I am weakening..." Dryad called. "I have been blocking Ferdinand's control of the earth, but..."

"We're a team, Dryad, and you've done your part," Triad called. "Gang?"

"This should help. Dryad, break off," M'Onel called. Dryad used its flight ring to jump backwards, even as M'Onel threw the Rabbit into Ferdinand. The Minotaur roared in pain as the invulnerable body of its comrade crashed into him, and Ferdinand finally fell, unconscious.

The Rabbit staggered to his feet. "You stupid illusionist! I can't see or hear, but I can still fight, and..."

"Let's end this, team," Triad called. "One mega blast, he can take it!"

"With pleasure," Inferno charged up his fists.

"On three?" Lamprey smiled.

"Three!" And with that, The Rabbit was hit by Inferno's fire, Lamprey's water, Ultra Boy's flash vision, M'Onel's heat vision, and Echo's sound waves. The Rabbit screamed, took one step forward... and fell flat on his face.

"And Diana's got Ares under control," Triad pointed. Diana has managed to wrestle Ares onto his knees, and she had bound him in the lasso again. "That just leaves the Horse," Triad called. "Cham?"

"Keeping him busy!" Chameleon's voice called from up above. Chameleon had taken the form of a Neptunian Man of War. "Everywhere he teleports, he brings me along!"

"Get off me!" The Horse squealed as he vanished again.

"Let me end this," the White Witch called. Focusing on Chameleon's flight ring, she let herself concentrate on the Horse's form. "A simple spell of sleep, and..."

The Horse solidified again, and staggered. "What... happen..." And he fell to the floor, snoring.

"Let's add him to the collection," Gates opened a teleport disk under the Horse, depositing him with the other unconscious Zodiac signs.

"No! You cowards!" Ares howled as he struggled against Diana's lasso. "You're too afraid to reclaim our glory as Olympian gods!"

"No, we are simply taking the side of wisdom." A voice called from the entrance to the chamber.

"Athena!" Diana bowed as the leader of the Olympians entered.

"And we have a guest," Athena motioned behind her.

The Mother of the Great Chariot, the Queen of Heaven, walked in. "I thank you for inviting me here," she gazed calmly around the room. "Indeed, there are hotheaded ones among my pantheon as well, who would have seen this attempt to undo our spell as an affront."

"But cooler heads prevailed," Athena laughed. "And we have come to an agreement."

"No! I want war!" Ares howled.

Diana looked at Athena, who nodded. "Very well," Diana loosened her lasso's grip around Ares. The crazed god turned on Diana. "I will beat you to a pulp even without my weapons!" He charged at her.

Diana side-stepped the first punch, and used Ares' momentum to pivot him into a wall. "You will not, not when you are in such a rage," Diana said quietly. Ares turned around and swung at her with his fists; she parried the blow with her bracelets, then kicked him in the stomach. Twisting around, she pivoted and forced him into a kneeling position.

Athena stepped forward, watching her half-brother struggle. "You have been weakened, Ares. We loosed you just so you could see for yourself. It's over."

"And even if you had beaten me," Diana continued. "You could not beat all these Legionnaires behind me..."

"Nor my added power. Athena has gladly given me permission to intervene," the Queen of Heaven added. "Not that it is needed," she smiled at the Legionnaires. "I am impressed, young mortals."

Triad blushed slightly, and was grateful that this was not the first time she had encountered gods and goddesses. She would have stammered, otherwise. "Teamwork and tactics, my goddess."

"Indeed, even we gods can learn much from you," Athena's eyes twinkled. She and the Queen of Heaven moved towards the five fallen Zodiac Signs. Each of the five slowly lifted off the ground, and were roused by the gods' combined power. They hung in the air; the Ox was defiant, and the other four looked mildly frightened.

"I don't want to be a doll again..." the Rooster whispered.

"When we laid judgment on you," the Queen of Heaven began. "We thought that your time spent in transformation would also be spent in contemplation. But clearly, your rage at your imprisonment has only been building."

"And that might be due to the nature of your punishment," Athena continued. "After all, how can you think about your paths if you are not yourselves?"

"So we will no longer transform you..." the Queen of Heaven continued.

"Instead, you will retain your forms, but we will bind your powers away..." Athena finished. "Until you show you are worthy of them."

A brilliant glow enveloped each of the five... and then they fall, to the ground.

The Rabbit was first to stand. He stomped on the ground. "Hah! I still have my strength!" The Rabbit flew towards M'Onel. "Take this- What?" And the Rabbit fell to the ground, stunned. "My power..."

"You are bound," The Queen of Heaven smiled. "The moment you think of using your powers for violence or evil, they will fade... until your thoughts are pure again."

"I... I'm trying to hide us, but I can't!" the Snake gasped.

"I can see a path..." The Rooster began to hover. "But as soon as I think of escaping, my sight is gone!"

The Queen of Heaven nodded Triad. "We leave them with you, for mortal justice, just like the other Zodiac Signs."

"And do not think you can unravel this spell," Athena addressed Ares. "For now, goddesses of two pantheons have laid it. And as for you..."

Athena and the Queen of Heaven both approached Ares. "We cannot make you forget..."

"... but we can ensure you do not act on this knowledge." Both goddesses waved their hands, and Ares screamed.

Athena stepped back. "Sadly, I cannot inhibit you any more than this, but... you are bound, brother. Bound not to interfere in mortal affairs, not while this combined spell is on you."

Diana released her hold on Ares, and he slumped to the ground, on all fours. Diana walked away, and over to Triad. "You all acted brilliantly," Diana smiled.

"It was a group effort," Triad said. "With your experience, we were able to come up with two great contingency plans."

"I am impressed indeed," Athena addressed the gathered Legion. "Having two of your number hiding in illusion the whole time, to surprise Ares... and devising a way to use your own triplication abilities to teleport your teammates to your location, just in case. Truly, a hallmark of battle strategy."

"Necessity is the mother of invention," Triad laughed. "Our Threshold technology could not reach this magical place, but good old-fashioned magic could..."

"Why have you forsaken me, great Athena?" Ferdinand cried, as he sat on the ground. "All I desired was a return to glory..." He clutched at the ground... he could still make pebbles dance, but once he thought of using them to bombard the Legionnaires, his control faded.

Diana looked at him sadly. "You are not at all like the Ferdinand I knew, a millennium ago... He would have been disappointed to call you his descendant." Diana addressed the assembled team. "I thank you, all of you, for your aid. And this I leave you," she handed a bracelet to Triad. "We have bound ourselves not to interfere in the mortal world, but should you need counsel, you may reach me there."

Triad clutched at the bracelet, and said her thanks.

"Farewell, young heroes," Athena waved. Then the Legionnaires disappeared, back to Legion World.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/10/23 03:30 AM.
Page 47 of 49 1 2 45 46 47 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nick Vinson
Nick Vinson
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star