Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/05/24 08:12 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/05/24 06:37 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:46 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:45 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:14 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:12 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Raltvee
#116073 07/16/12 12:10 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Excerpt from Raltvee: The Travel Guide

The Republic of Raltvee is a member of the United Planets and an important economic power. They are most well known for the production of textiles and role in the spice trade. Their major rival is the Kingdom of Nasger, and there have been wars between the two in the past.

Fortunately, the two powers have recently signed a peace treaty so both merchants and tourists can travel in Raltvee in relative safely.

Travel Safety Advice: It is not wise to play cards on Sundays, because you can be criticized by natives. Recently there have been witch-trials, which are supported by the current Stadtholder of Raltvee who is terrified of being killed by a witch.

Piracy: Some places in the Republic of Raltvee have been raided by pirates. Precautions should especially be taken along the border between Raltveech and Nasgerian space.

Epidemics: The throat pox epidemic is gone and the main port on Raltvee proper has been reopened to trade. Please check the spaceports for updates.
~~~~

Sebastian stood in the spaceport with Emily. They were waiting for their luggage to arrive so they could leave. This was the first time the both of them had been to Raltvee. Sebastian was looking forward to seeing the markets and doing some business in the diamond exchange. Emily was happy to get away from the office and spend time with him.

Emily waved to a group of people entering the area, "I think I see Blaze and Invisible Brainiac."

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: Raltvee
#116074 07/16/12 09:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
"Told you you should have used a backpack," IB said cheekily. He was wearing shorts and a form-fitting light green shirt which showed off his chest and arms.

Blaze grunted as he shifted his gym bag. He was dressed in a light brown shirt, and if its fit hadn't highlighted his arms, his flexing now certainly did. "I don't have any large backpacks! And aren't we going to stow our luggage while we're out?"

IB shrugged. "I'm not totally clear on our itinerary yet. I expect we'll have a good hotel, or maybe even one of Emily's or Sebastian's friends has a place we could stay, but don't you want to do some exploring too?" IB winked as he said that last word, and Blaze grinned back. They loved to "explore" each new place they visited, and that often led to a very in-depth exploration of their relationship too.

"Oh, there they are!" IB called, tapping Blaze on the shoulder. "Come on, I'm sure you'll love hanging with them."

#116075 07/17/12 08:42 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Emily said, "I am glad everyone found their luggage! One of my friends is waiting for us outside the terminal." The four of them followed the crowd to the exit, which was filled with people holding signs, flowers, and other objects. They stood for a minute while Emily looked for the person they were meeting.

She spotted a woman holding a sign that said, "Legion World." Sure enough, it was her friend. Her family had sided with previous regime on Earth, and decided to live in Raltvee after they lost. She was dressed in a dark red skirt with a matching blouse.

Emily's friend said, "I am so glad you all could make it! My name is Ruth Craig and you'll be staying in my family's hotel. You can tell me some things you would be interested in seeing and doing on the way."

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#116076 07/17/12 10:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
"Anything adventurous!" Blaze grinned as he shook Ruth's hand.

"What he means," IB grinned as he also took Ruth's hand, "is we'd love to see the natural side of Raltvee. Go diving, or water sports. But I'm also interested in history - any ancient ruins, temples and the like."

"And the food, of course," Blaze grinned. The two boys looked at each other and smiled. They were really planning on enjoying themselves.

"How about you, Emily, Sebastian?"

#116077 07/17/12 11:53 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Excerpt from Raltvee: The Travel Guide

The capital city of Raltvee is New Church. This city was founded by a religious sect over three hundred years ago. The people did not have much money, so the settlement originally consisted of a small town and a church, so it was named 'New Church'. The actual church is open to the general public and performs services every Sunday.
~~~~

The four of them made their way towards a bus and discussed further travel plans. Ruth informed them that they would be traveling by bus to one of the canals, and from there they would go to the hotel. As they traveled to the canals, they saw many fine buildings.

Ruth said, "I was thinking we could go to the beach..."

"Wouldn't it be a better idea to go to the historical sights before? The guide says they are close," Sebastian interrupted. Emily thought he was being a bit rude. Blaze and Invisible Brainiac decided to stay out of the conversation.

Ruth replied, "Actually, it the beaches are not far at all. We could go to the beach today and see the sights tomorrow..."

"No, I--" Sebastian saw the look Emily was giving him and decided it was best to be quiet. Maybe he would get lucky and it would start to rain. He continued, "I think that would be fine."

Ruth asked the other two guests, "What do you think?"

Invisible Brainiac replied tactfully, "I think we should see how we feel after dinner. We are all very hungry."

Ruth gasped, "I completely forgot about dinner! Please don't worry, we have plenty of fine restaurants. In fact, the best restaurant in this sector is on Raltvee!" Emily and Sebastian exchanged a look, because they were not sure if this was true or merely a rumor.

The five of them got off the boss and preceded to the boats in the canals. They were able to view a beautiful sunset over New Church. Some of the shops were coming alive, while residential areas were covered in darkness. The five of them looked forward to dinner.

#116078 07/21/12 09:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
As the sun set, Invisible Brainiac used his light powers to enhance the show. He loved using his powers for non-violent purposes.

He slowly highlighted the orange glow, while blocking some of the city lights so they wouldn't spoil nature's own.

Blaze gasped in amazement. "That's wonderful, hon. You're so good with your powers!"

IB smiled back at him. "And so are you. Why don't you come here and help me? You can lend your fiery glow as the sun gets darker."

And Blaze did. The two of them together produced a breathtaking sunset. Invisible Brainiac even got pictures on some of the film he carried. He also took a few with Emily, Sebastian and Ruth. The 5 all nodded approvingly as they looked at the proof that they had been to New Church.

As they settled down, Emily spoke up. "What type of cuisine does Raltvee specialize in, Ruth? I heard that it's very hearty, and that Raltvee also draws on culinary influences from nearby planets."

Ruth smiled. "You'll see soon enough, my dears."

#116079 07/22/12 08:59 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The boats landed on the shore of a busy street. Ruth paid the boatmen and they proceeded to the restaurant. The outside of the building had black and white designs. Sebastian admired the architecture as they walked towards the door. They entered the restaurant and were promptly seated. This was a little surprising to the guests because this was supposed to be a very popular place.

"Why are there so few people here?" Emily asked.

Ruth replied, "We are eating later than usual in Raltvee. We usually eat dinner at 6:00 P.M." The server came and handed them menus. After ten minutes of trying to decipher the ingredients, they decided to let Ruth order for them.

The first dish that was ordered was a potato soup served in a Centaurian potato. Centaurian potatoes are about the size of an eggplant and were brought to Raltveech in the last century. This was followed by a chicory salad which was served with a Xudarian dressing.

Ruth commented, "Have you ever seen the New Xudarians in concert?"

Sebastian replied, "I wish I could."

"I'll see what I can do," Ruth replied. Just as she finished that sentence, the waiter reappeared with plates of meatballs for everyone. The next dish was spring rolls, which was a little surprising to the guests. The meal was finished with a slice of apple tart.

Ruth asked, "So what do we want to do now?"

#116080 07/22/12 09:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Invisible Brainiac rubbed his tummy, while Blaze tried to burp discreetly. Both politely thanked Ruth for the great meal, with Invisible Brainiac noting that he'd try to remake the potato soup and meatballs back on Legion World.

In response to Ruth's question, Blaze asked - "Are there any good bars or pubs around here? I'd like to try the local alcohol."

IB piped up. "Of course, if not all of you drink, Blaze and I understand. We could go ourselves later on after we've checked into our hotel."

#116081 07/22/12 08:44 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Sebastian thought to himself. I really shouldn't, my memory is terrible enough without drinking. I don't want Emily to think I am lame though. He said, "I have a meeting tomorrow morning with the diamond exchange. Emily, why don't you go with Blaze and Invisible Brainiac to the Indigo Zone?"

Emily asked, "What is the Indigo Zone?"

"It's where all the night-clubs are. They have an agreement with the government to host all sorts of events everyday that are sometimes restricted under our laws," Ruth explained.

"What kind of laws?" Blaze asked.

Ruth replied, "Our planet was originally founded by extremely religious people. Many people here are still religious, but tolerance has grown as trade has increased. Our laws are different from many other places; and some places in Raltvee have different laws. The most important thing you have to know is not to be caught drinking alcohol outside of the Indigo Zone after midnight. Tomorrow is Sunday and the law is very restrictive on that day. It is also inadvisable to play cards after midgnight; it isn't illegal but everyone will gossip about your behavior."

Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. Emily didn't go to clubs often, and wondered what they would be like in Raltvee. She hoped it would be fun. As a member of the Security Office she did not party a lot, and as a civilian the parties she went were usually family gatherings. The five of them settled the bill after a bit of wrangling, and then left the restaurant. They were fortunate enough to find a boat. Unfortunately, it began to rain as they journeyed to the hotel. I am glad we did not go to the beach, Emily thought.

They walked into the hotel to see several men working on the lobby floor. Ruth blushed and quickly summoned staff members to take their luggage. Ruth was able to confirm their reservations and get their keys from the receptionist.

#116082 07/22/12 09:58 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
As they went up to their rooms, Invisible Brainiac asked Emily. "It's raining pretty hard tonight. Do you want to visit the Indigo Zone tomorrow instead?"

Emily thought for a moment. She was curious about what it would be like, but alcohol and rain weren't that good an idea. "Maybe we should wait a couple of hours and see what happenes with the weather. Anyway, we can consume alcohol within the Indigo Zone after midnight, and it is still early."

Blaze looked at the elevator menu as they went up. "There are quite a few amenities here. Look, they have traditional Raltvee baths! Maybe we can try those out too."

IB thought for a moment. "Maybe we should go to the baths AFTER we go drinking, if we do. So we don't have to get dressed after that."

"Why don't we all check in and get settled in our rooms first, and THEN we can decide how to spend the night?" Sebastian suggested. "We can discuss in 30 minutes."

All four agreed before parting ways. Blaze and Invisible Brainiac went off to the room they shared.

#116083 07/25/12 06:14 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Sebastian Sage closed the door to his room and sat on the bed. He was happy to be with his friends, but was a bit nervous about the meeting tomorrow. The Raltveech and Nasgerians were rivals since before he was born, and he wasn't sure if any peace treaty would change that. He was beginning to regret bringing his work with him, but he was just so used to it. Back at the office, Sam would sometimes joke that Sebastian had a "Hunger Games" adolescence but he had no idea what that meant. He earned enough money to buy a company and earn a place in society. Of course he still wasn't happy with that, so he joined the LMB. He wouldn't be the first Nasgerian business owner to spend a lot of time abroad.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. He opened the door to find Ruth standing there. Sebastian asked, "Hello. Is something wrong?"

Ruth paused, "No. I mean yes...can I come in?" He nodded the door and she closed it behind them. He sat on the desk chair and she sat on the bed. She looked very troubled.

Ruth said, "My family is trying to rebuild it's fortunes after the troubles, so I'm starting to look for a suitable husband. I can't marry a Raltveech because it makes it look like my family will never return to Earth. I am looking for someone rich, maybe connected to the Tournaments. Do you know anybody that is currently available?"

Sebastian had to restrain himself from laughing. It was strange to here a Raltveech talk of marrying a Nasgerian! There were so many differences between the two nations that the question of intermarriage rarely arises. He finally managed to answer, "Unfortunately, I only know of two single men who are currently available that fit that description. One of them is embroiled in a terrible scandal, and the other one has a lot of problems."

"Oh," Ruth said. "Do you ever miss it?"

"No...I only miss people sometimes. I feel bad for my former friends who ruined their contracts and whose lives are not very good. I guess you are a fan?" Sebastian asked. He had not competed in Tournaments for almost four years and was rarely asked these questions nowadays. In all honesty, they felt like a dream of a dream.

"Yes, I watched them a lot when I was in high school too. Sousa Telecom was big where I lived until...until..." She closed her eyes and refrained from continuing the conversation. "Anyways, there is a legitimate Tournament Arena underneath the Indigo Zone." She left the conversation at that and decided to take her leave, citing "pressing matters at the front desk". Sebastian thought the conversation was very weird, but it made him feel nostalgic. It felt strange to feel nostalgic for such a difficult part of his life, but in a way it was simpler than life was right now.

#116084 07/26/12 04:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Invisible Brainiac and Blaze greeted Emily as she stepped out of the elevator. Emily walked a little self-consciously. "Am I dressed appropriately for the Indigo Zone?" she asked.

Blaze nodded. "No need to be too formal. We were thinking of hitting a dance club for a while, then spending the rest of the night just sitting down and drinking."

"Not even the rest of the night," smiled IB. "We don't want to spend most of tomorrow with a hangover. Although if we did have the time, a pub crawl would be nice."

Emily looked curious. "That's an interesting term. What does it mean?"

"It's when you move from pub to pub in a single night," grinned Blaze. "I guess it's best for those who really can hold their alcohol."

"I'd rather spend tonight just enjoying the feel of the city though," IB replied. "Are you okay with that, Emily?"

"More than," Emily smiled. She didn't want to get drunk, either.

The three exited the hotel, chatting casually along the way.

#116085 07/28/12 05:33 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Emily was amazed at how quiet the streets near the hotel were. It was pretty dark right in this area, and only a few lights were in this part of the city. They got on a boat to the Indigo Zone, and they were not alone. The sailors knew that young people liked to go their on the weekends, so the trio would not have to worry about getting home.

They approached the Indigo Zone which was a bunch of buildings and shops located on a couple of blocks inside the city. There almost seemed to be a force field preventing the brightness from blinding the surrounding area from the lights. The area surrounding the Indigo Zone was mixed housing, probably owing to the fact that inside the zone things were legal that normally were not.

They got off the boat and walked over to the first night club. The three of them decide to check in their belongings to a club that was less crowded before going to the ones they were interested in. The smell of cigarette smoke was in the air a few people already looked intoxicated.

#116086 07/28/12 10:19 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
IB sighed as he downed his second cocktail, a Venturan mojito. His first had been a Black Xanthian; IB had a taste for chocolate.

"This feels good," he said, leaning against Blaze. "I can't remember the last time I was able to drink like this."

Blaze, who was nursing a pluberry-flavored vodka, smiled. "I can, and it ended very nicely for both of us." IB laughed and gave Blaze a high-five.

Across them, Emily was sipping a very light martini. IB had helped her choose a much weaker drink. IB noticed her silence, and leaned over. "I hope our flirting isn't making you uncomfortable, Emily. Even now that we're in a committed relationship, Blaze and I like to continue flirting to keep the fire alive, so to speak." Turning towards Blaze, IB winked. "Not that I need to do anything else to light your fire, right?"

"You know you make me really HOT, IB," Blaze replied with a big grin.

"No, not at all," Emily replied. It wasn't the flirting that made her quiet, but the club scene.

She had actually expected much worse, and was relieved to see that the club's guests weren't as raucous as she'd thought. There was some mild flirting going on all around, but everyone was more or less discreet - no wild dancing, nobody stripping. She wasn't worried that things would get out of hand though; she could take care of herself, but she preferred to relax on this trip.

"I'm just glad we don't need to raise our voices, thanks to the telepathic earplugs we have," Blaze smiled. "This way we can enjoy the music AND have a nice chat at the same time."

As they sat sipping their drinks, a few attractive young sentients approached their table...

#116087 07/31/12 06:40 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Excerpt from Raltvee the Travel Guide: Raltveech clubs are fairly free, but occasionally the authorities come in to prevent what they consider the "worst moral offenses." The more popular clubs get more police visits. The less popular establishments can sometimes have more riskier behavior, and can appeal to a specific set of clientele. Foreigners should be careful as to where to meet people they meet in clubs outside of the Indigo Zone, because all laws are in effect.

On a more positive note, many celebrities and officials are said to visit the Indigo Zone. There is a rumor that Stadtholder William of Raltvee and Prince of Tangello participates in Tournaments in the Indigo Zone.
~~~~

They were holding drinks and greeted the four. All of them spoke with accents; it was clear they were neither Nasgerian or Raltveech. One of them explained that they were from Ikgaline, which sounded a vaguely familiar. Emily and the main Ikgaline exchanged greetings a few times, before they started drinking. She wanted to stay with them, but Blaze pulled her away.

"They seem very drunk," He whispered as they headed towards another table.

The other group continued to enjoy themselves. Just then the music changed and girls began walking down a runway like area. However, there was a small group of police men walking through the room. A few of them wanted the place where Blaze and Emily were standing, so they were forced to move again. She was a little nervous that there were some trouble, so Blaze decided to call Invisible Brainiac and suggest they make their way towards the next club.

#116088 07/31/12 07:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
As the three exited the club, IB used his powers to shield them from the rain and from sight.

"That was a rather exciting and dangerous experience," IB said. He was red all over, not just from their quick escape but also from the alcohol.

Blaze was rather unsteady himself. He was talking in a fairly loud voice, which IB sssshed gently so they would not be noticed. "Almost too much excitement for the day!"

Emily still seemed slightly shaken. It was one thing to go into a situation expecting trouble, and another entirely to have trouble dumped in your lap. "Where else can we go here in the Indigo Zone?"

IB took out his omnicom and began tapping. "Let me pull the research Blaze and I did... Raltvee's specialty drinks are a mix of coffee and alcohol. They can be tasty, but also a shock to the system at first. Mixing an upper and a downer, after all..."

"I think we should try them while we're here," Blaze said. "When in Raltvee..."

Emily nodded. "I think those types of drinks are more likely to be found in pubs or coffee shops, right? Those should have a more savory crowd."

"Maybe not necessarily more savory, but at least less flashy and aggressive," IB agreed. "Says here one good one is the The Coffeehouse. Shall we?"

The three hurried along. It was only 10PM, and they could spare another hour or so.

#116089 08/02/12 01:11 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The three of them walked away from the clubs towards a row of restaurants. They walked until they saw a sign for a coffee shop called, The Huguenot. They entered a busy scene that felt like a combination of a bar and a breakfast restaurant. One could see two rows of tables with lights hanging over them.

Underneath one of the counters was a pie-safe. The top rows contained pastries, but the bottom rows contained more unusual fare. Emily could recognize soma, which was illegal on Legion World. It was a controversial substance because it can be used to treat depression, but it also makes people lethargic. There were a few other substances, but the script was in a language she did not recognize. Her thoughts were interrupted when the owner approached them with a greeting.

"Welcome to The Huguenot! I am excited that you are here for our grand opening!" He smiled. This explained why there were only a few other customers present so far. He led them to a booth next to a window, which looked out towards one of the canals. The water reflected the lights of the Indigo Zone. Despite being almost completely artificial, it was beautiful.

He handed them the menus, and they were a bit surprised to see a picture of pancakes on the cover. Invisible Brainiac asked, "Can we have the drink menu?"

"The drinks are towards the back of the menu. We serve pancakes during the day. By the way, free beers until 12:00 A.M because it is the grand opening," He explained.

#116090 08/04/12 09:55 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
"Free beer!" Invisible Brainiac rubbed his hands in glee. "One of my favorite phrases!" He quickly looked over the drinks menu.

"I'm hungry," said Blaze. "Let's order some food too. I know that on Raltvee, food and alcohol make a good taste combination."

Emily pored over her menu. "I've read about their rice pudding, I think it's one of their specialties. Let's try the one with almonds and pluberries?" She then turned to the owner. "Would you be able to recommend some beers?"

With the owner's kindly assistance, they soon had their orders - besides the rice pudding, they asked for the pancakes with various fruit jams, and a sandwich platter which included open-faced sandwiches with various fishes and meats, topped with pickled cabbage, spiced mayonnaise, cheeses and liver pate.

For beer, IB suggested they order 6 bottles and 3 glasses. That way, they could taste 6 different flavors. They ordered two beer-and-coffee combinations, one a mocha and one a vanilla. Another was a peppermint-and-pluberry spiced drink; a fourth was a very sweet-tasting beer from the southern provinces of Raltvee, and the fifth was an Earth Asian-style beer made from rice. The last was the beer from Raltvee's flagship beer producer, Carlsburg.

As they settled down to wait for their orders, the trio marveled at the canal lights outside. Emily checked her watch. "I think Sebastian is probably asleep by now. He has an early start tomorrow."

#116091 08/05/12 02:38 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Excerpt From Raltvee: The Travel Guide

The diamond district is one of the oldest commercial centers in Raltvee. It became important as a transportation center between Nasger and worlds which had a demand for metals and gemstones. Rough gemstones are often bought by jewelers in Raltvee, which has given rise to a vibrant trade. The Fourth Tower is the home to famous diamantaires, whose numbers have increased due to recent immigration.
~~~~~

Sebastian woke up at 6:00 A.M and made his way to the diamond district. There were a total of four towers in New Chuch's diamond district. He walked into the Third Tower and and got off on the fourth floor. He opened the elevator to be surprised that he was in the hallway of a swimming pool. Sebastian was confused and decided to ask a maid for help.

She said, "You took the wrong door. This is a combination of apartment and office space." He then proceeded to go to the other side of the building. He arrived in the right office and sat down. The Raltveech looked surprised to find he was on time. After exchanging greetings, everyone sat down to discuss the trade.

"I think that this is a very good start. The gentlemen we were supposed to see yesterday never showed up," One of the Raltveech said. After he said that, another man projected a map and they began to discuss the major pitfall to diamond trade between Raltveech and Nasger: piracy. The two powers had periodically been at war; Raltvee would pay privateers to rob Nasgerian trade and vice versa. The result was the growth of actual piracy, which threatens all ships.

"I am sorry I am late!" A voice shouted. Sebastian turned his head towers his door to see his neighbor, Carlos Aguirre, contractor to the Crown. He was the government's representative where he lived.

"Your appointment was yesterday," One of the Raltveech said. A few of the men looked at Carlos with judging eyes. As for his part, Sebastian wished he was invisible.

"I know...but please listen to me...I have finally found El Dorado," He exclaimed.

All the Raltveech laughed. One of them asked, "Now where would this be?"

"It is a planet called Legion World," Carlos answered. Everyone looked at each other in confusion. A few of the Raltveech had never heard of Legion World; they had devoted their lives to the diamond trade and Legion World was not a known source of diamonds. Those that knew of Legion World were perplexed by this statement, as it was a real place and El Dorado was a myth.

"With all due respect to the Crown," Sebastian stated slowly. "Legion World is an inhabited world with it's own government. Nasger does not own the soil."

"No," Carlos smiled. "But Nasgerian businesses (and Raltveech businesses too) can set up offices on that world. You have already got an import office established there. I am sure there is a way." Carlos made it sound easy. In truth, Sebastian knew that there would be laws, permits, and interest groups to deal with. He was not sure if it would be worth the effort.

A few of the Raltveech seemed to agree; as one of them said, "Why should we begin production on Legion World? There are plenty of mines in Nasgerian and Raltveech territory."

"Legion World is far away from the Raltveech-Nasgerian border, which means it can circumvent piracy," Carlos replied. This statement got the interest of Sebastian. Countless ships have lost lives and cargo from the pirates; could this be a good alternative?

"That is an intriguing solution, but you did not answer my question. I will try to speaker clearer. Why should we put more diamonds into circulation and thus risk lowering the value?" The Raltveech repeated.

Sebastian said, "The price of the diamonds could be valued higher than diamonds from Nasger because they are from further away. We may also find diamonds of higher grade and quality."

"Hmm...you pointed out a key question. Do you have any examples present?" The Raltveech asked.

"Of course I do," Carlos Aguirre said. He took out a small box in his coat pocket, laid it on the table, and slowly opened it. Everyone gathered closer to see if this was a real diamond or a fraud.

#116092 08/12/12 10:23 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Invisible Brainiac and Blaze lounged lazily in the hotel baths.

"Mmmm, I could fall asleep here," Blaze said as he sank deeper into the hot water in the tub.

"Careful, don't enjoy it too much," IB winked. "You don't want to turn into a prune."

"Hah, and I suppose I shouldn't show off too much either. We've already gotten quite a few stares since we've been in here," Blaze winked.

"We are famous Legionnaires, after all, and unlike on some other planets, homosexuality is quite accepted here on Raltvee," IB said. He scooted over closer to Blaze. "You know, this would be a great place to have a wedding..."

"Hmm, you read my mind. Maybe we should talk about it more..." Blaze said as he leaned in for a kiss.

"Excuse me... you are Legionnaires, are you not?"

IB and Blaze stared crossly at their interruptor. He was a fairly young Raltveech native, about their age. He was fairly good-looking, though certainly not quite in as good shape as the two. "Yes, do you need something?" IB tried to keep his tone pleasant.

"I am Ian Tanada, and it is a distinct pleasure to meet you," the man said as he extended a hand. He also made a show of looking IB and Blaze over from head to foot.

IB pointedly looked back at Ian, who was now appearing quite excited. "Listen, Ian, Blaze and I were hoping for some private time. If you need an autograph, perhaps we could sign it now so we can relax? And if you need non-urgent help, perhaps we could discuss it later. It doesn't appear as though you're in trouble right now."

"Of course, if you are merely enjoying the view, that's something else entirely," Blaze winked. IB elbowed Blaze playfully.

"My apologies, gentlemen. My purpose was twofold - first, I have long admired you both as magnificent specimens of masculinity and heroism, and second, I am connected with the Tournaments and believe I may have an interesting proposition for you," Ian said. "Perhaps later, then, I could take you out to dinner?"

IB and Blaze looked at each other, and the twinkle in Blaze's eye told IB all he knew. Smiling, he turned back to Ian. "Ian, looks like this is your lucky day. We'd like to hear more..."

#116093 08/14/12 10:07 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
It was a genuine diamond, Sebastian thought as he walked out of the meeting room. He walked past rows of identical office doors as he exited the building. The prospect of mining on Legion World is exciting, but I do not know if Legion Worlders have the same mind as Nasgerian and Raltveech businessmen. We are economic powers, but Legion World is entirely different.

As he took the elevator to the first floor he thought about the results of the meeting. I was only able to get an agreement for the industrial diamonds. Aguirre reminded them of how dangerous the border is, so they did not want to risk losing gemstone quality diamonds to pirates.

He walked to the First Tower, which displays some of the most beautiful and valuable diamonds on this side of the galaxy. One can hear the hum of security devices as one enters the area they are kept. There is a rumor in the industry that this place hires elite mercenaries as guards, because it is rare to see security personnel in this area. Sebastian stopped by a diamond whose description read, Replica of the Florentine Diamond, Lost after Terran World War I. It reminded him of the time Aguirre thought he found the Florentine Diamond, and it turned out to be a restaurant. Aguirre was not a bad man, just one that wanted dreams to be real.

"It is beautiful, isn't it?" A man said. Sebastian turned to see a stranger standing behind him. He was a Raltveech native, young, and he wore a smile.

"It's not real, it is worthless," Sebastian replied. He was a bit suspicious of this person and hoped that if he was unfriendly he would go away.

"It's still beautiful though," The man replied. "My name is Ian Tanada and I remember you from the Sousa Telecom Tournaments. I'm starting up an entertainment company and would like you to compete in the next Tournament."

"No, I quit when my contract came up three years ago. I made a fortune and decided to use the money to buy a company," Sebastian replied. He worked at Sousa Telecom for five years, that was more than enough. He didn't feel like fighting for money anymore.

"I understand," Ian replied. "But will you at least accept two free tickets to the match? Hal Ferris and Miguel Aligheri are going to be there."

Sebastian paused for a moment. One on hand, these people had their own problems and probably should not be a Tournament. On the other hand, it would be strange for him not to show up and would probably be brought up the next time he was on Nasger.

He said, "I will watch the Tournament." Sebastian accepted the tickets and walked out of the tower. After that, his cell phone rang because Emily wanted to know why he was late to lunch.

#116094 08/18/12 04:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Invisible Brainiac and Blaze pulled away from their kiss. "We'd better hurry," IB admonished. "Lunch starts in ten minutes."

"Aw, but your powers can get us there in no time at all," Blaze said with a naughty grin.

"Now, now. We can continue this later on," IB smiled as he waved his finger. "Besides, I would have thought our breakfast session with Ian was enough for you."

"Well... It certainly got me interested in having dinner with him like he invited..."

"At the very least, our breakfast meeting frees us of any obligations for dinner. We just have to meet him at the Tournament. Although I think you'd like to challenge him to some wrestling again, no?"

Blaze licked his lips. "Only me? You seem to have enjoyed his company a lot, too."

IB smirked. "What can I say? Ian certainly knew how to make us feel welcome. I think he really enjoyed playing around with the two of us. Now get, we don't want to be late!" IB swatted Blaze playfully as he turned to dress. He noticed a message on his phone. "Emily's looking for us. We'd better scoot."

#116095 08/18/12 10:02 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Outside a small restaurant in New Church, Emily was waiting by herself at a table for five. Her friend Ruth said she would come late because she was ordering tickets for a Tournament. Emily thought this was a little odd, but did not say anything that could hurt her friends feelings.

"Would you like something to drink, madam?" The waiter asked.

"Yes, I will have a cherry limeade," She replied. It was her favorite summertime beverage.

She did not think anything of it until thirty minutes passed and none of the men shown up. Emily decided to text her friends, and was prepared to order lunch if they did not show up in twenty minutes. She didn't know Invisible Brainiac and Blaze very well, but it was extremely unusual for Sebastian to late.

She saw a taxi pull up next to the restaurant. Out of the taxi came six people, which seemed like a bad (and possibly illegal) idea. She softened her gaze when she realized that two of those people were Invisible Brainiac and Blaze. They quickly ran to Emily's table and apologized for being late. The three of them looked through the menu, which had a variety of fried seafood and sausages served with French fries. The waiter was about to take their orders when they heard the sound of someone running.

Emily turned her head to see Sebastian, and did not know how to react. He looked cute in his suit, though the white color made him look a bit like a marshmallow.

"I apologize for being late," He said. His expression was plain, and Emily could not tell if he was genuinely sorry. However, the waiter was standing right behind her so she did not want to start an argument. She simply nodded and gestured for him to sit down.

"Would you like a couple of minutes, sir?" The waiter asked.

"No,no, I will have this," Sebastian answered. He randomly pointed to an item on the menu and hoped it was something good.

#116096 08/18/12 06:38 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
As they waited for their orders, Invisible Brainiac again turned to Emily. "I'm really sorry for the delay, Emily. I hope you didn't wait too long. Blaze and I got held up by a local who wanted to invite us to a Tournament."

Sebastian stiffened slightly at that statement.

Emily leaned forward, curiously. "Do you know much about that Tournament? Did you say you'd go watch?"

Blaze looked slightly excited and worried at the same time. "We actually didn't understand his explanation all that much. And he didn't invite us to watch - he invited us to compete!"

"To compete?" Sebastian blurted out, unable to help himself. "I hope you didn't say yes right away. It might be better to watch one of these things first."

"Yes, that's exactly what Blaze and I thought," IB replied. "We told him so, without making any firm commitment. We also asked if we could bring some friends along. Would you like to watch? Do you know anything about these things?"

#116097 08/18/12 08:25 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Sebastian did not know how to respond to this question. He was not often asked this question, because most Legion Worlders had no knowledge of the Tournaments. If they did they might mention something about Hal Ferris, and think that is all they need to know about the Tournaments. Most people didn't ask where he got his wealth and assumed he inherited all of it from a relative, like most young people with money. He took a deep breath and was ready to begin the explanation. Sebastian does not like telling about his life before the LMB because most of it rumor at best because he started using his powers as soon as he got them.

"I never knew my father, and my mother died of yellow fever when I was five years old. She had the foresight of sending me to a school for boys. She wanted me to be an accountant or engineer, a career that would mean I would not have to worry about money. It was nice place to grow up, but that changed when I turned thirteen," He explained.

"So are your powers inherited? What are your powers anyways?" Blaze asked. He had never seen Sebastian use his powers and assumed he was a street-leveler since he was dating Emily.

Sebastian shrugged, "I can adsorb powers, skills, and memories by touch. I think I inherited my powers from my father. He was a soldier so he could have been in contact with a lot of radiation."

"Radiation does not work that way," Emily said. She did not understand how radiation could give superpowers. It was against conventional physics.

"Do you have any other ideas?" Sebastian asked.

Emily thought for a moment. His mother didn't have any known super-powers so he couldn't have inherited it from her. She died of yellow fever, and yellow fever does not give superpowers either. She replied, "Not yet, your theory is as good as any."

"Anyways, I started noticing that students around me were getting sick, most often after playing sports. The staff just assumed it was another epidemic, but the other kids thought I was a demon and life was not fun. One day when we were playing outside, Mr. Granada was passing through and saw me knock someone out. He had lost a potential Tournament player to a drug cartel, and was desperate for another player. To shorten the story, I joined the old Sousa Telecom because I liked the idea of becoming rich like my mother wanted," He explained.

"Children are treated differently than adults under the contract, so I won't go much into detail on that. You are also not under contract with the old Sousa Telecom," Sebastian said.

Invisible Brainiac said, "So did you ever get a high school education?"

"Yes and no," Sebastian said. "We had classes sometimes, but the situation is similar to that of children in hologram films. Sousa Telecom makes sure we have a diploma after we graduate, but to be honest the work experience is more valuable than the pieces of paper."

"Do a lot of kids in the Tournaments end up turning to alcohol and drugs?" Invisible Brainiac asked. This was a very intriguing topic, though he knew it must be hard for Sebastian to talk about it. He was under contract at one point and may still feel affection for Sousa Telecom.

"Some of them do, but if they do a lot while under contract they end up poor and on the streets. If they do so afterwards, they usually end up either poor or working in the Tournaments again. I have never been fond of alcohol because of my powers, and I had no use for illegal drugs," Sebastian said. He was going to answer honestly, but he didn't want to scare them with horror stories. They were adults and he knew the contracts were different. "Children and adults compete at separate times. All children that compete are orphans, while the adults come from a variety of backgrounds. The most common reasons are for fun, money, and to gain a new life."

The waiter came back with four plates of food. Emily had ordered shrimp with French fries. She was very hungry and began eating right away. Blaze had ordered a sausage with French fries and decided to use his fire powers, so she took it he is not happy at the way it is cooked. Invisible Brainiac had ordered oysters with French fries, while she has no idea what Sebastian had ordered. It seemed like he didn't either.

"Did you sign a contract with Tanada?" Sebastian asked. He poked his fork at the odd looking meat. He never recalled seeing anything like it before. Maybe it was imported from a distant land.

"No, I think we do that at the Tournament," Invisible Brainiac replied.

Emily said, "Let me look at the contract before you sign it." She was a bit worried that her friends were getting over their heads. Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Ruth Craig's voice.

She said, "I got us two tickets to the Tournament tonight! Some new company is starting up, so the prices are low." She turned to Sebastian, "I am sorry I could not get you a ticket."

"That is alright, I got invited by Ian Tanada," He replied. Ruth was so happy she looked like she would give him a hug. She had fond memories of watching him in the Tournaments when she was a teenager. Emily on the other hand looked a bit frightened at this idea.

"After lunch, I need to take you all shopping. We can't go to the Tournaments dressed like this!" Ruth announced as she sat down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,137
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Insouciant Lad
Insouciant Lad
College Park, MD
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star