Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/03/24 09:15 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:07 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: S and LSH #16
#15982 03/31/06 08:44 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Shadow Lass had her tongue in cheek the whole time in that scene. I read the dialogue as ironic and sarcastic. On the other hand, years from now say about 20 they can skip ahead 5 years later and we can find out that Jo and Tas became facist diktators of Earth and point to this scene as foreshadowing their abuse of power.

I think she gave the goggles back, she didn't have them flying off. Go to a mall on a Saturday and watch the families, How many times have you seen parents use such a technique to teach a certain behaviour in their kids? Taking something away making them 'ask nicely and say please' before giving it back comes to mind.

Before Long Klar and company will be at City Hall demanding that garbage pick up be made later in the day as to not up their unhappy wives and husbands in the mornings.

If anything I didn't see bullying as such, I saw the patronizing behavior of parents to children in Tas in particular.
Well said.

What's most ironic to me (and has probably been mentioned already by someone else somewhere in the thread) is that we're arguing about this stuff across computer monitors. For some reason, just thinking about that cracks me up to no end and has increased my enjoyment of this issue 100x.

#15983 03/31/06 08:58 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Jeepers, StK! That goes along really well with my longheld theory that Mark Waid's secret agenda in the current version of the Legion reboot is to goad the internet fandom into storming the DC offices demanding the return of the Silver Age Legion!

#15984 03/31/06 09:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by SouthtownKid:
What's most ironic to me (and has probably been mentioned already by someone else somewhere in the thread) is that we're arguing about this stuff across computer monitors. For some reason, just thinking about that cracks me up to no end and has increased my enjoyment of this issue 100x.
Given distance and other reasons, some of us have no recourse but to use such methods. The general populace in the UP do.
Anyone fancy forking out for a $2000 plane ticket just to chat with me about Legion stuff? wink

Wayne@OZ
#15985 04/01/06 03:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't read all the way through this thread yet so forgive any repeats of previous posters comments but here goes with my thoughts on issue 16-

Loved the cover!

Loved the first line - "you're barely clothed" - fantastic! that one line sets the scene perfectly. Also the comment about paying a years salary for that view - as far as we're shown all the view is of is other buildings - anyone think they'd want to pay a years salary for an inner city view? Didn't think so. This helped confirm the perception of the average Metropolitan citizen that gray = good.

Ultra Boy and Shady throwing the Jardonian around was fun but a bit alarming, in light of the Legions new status does this constitute police brutality? Klar organising a small demonstration was great (loved him stamping on the screen - I'm sure I'm not the only person who relates to that sometimes) though I wonder if his neighbours would have been so easy to persuade to leave the security of their own apartments. Is the average citizen that easily led? It's a worrying thought. I really loved the "stop being so.. so.. colourful!" comment, made me laugh out loud! I wonder if Earths stagnation won't finally be shown as a Dominator plot to control their potential enemies.

Ultra Boys comment about building their HQ there was great too, the mischief shown was refreshing!

Unfortunately after that point I have a few reservations. The Datastream showed a moon being destroyed "earlier that week" by an object approaching light speed yet next page was "earlier today" at Neptune. So in the 31st century Korugar is only a few light days distant then is it? So it's somewhere on the outreaches of the Oort cloud then. No? I don't remember that being established either. The apparent blip in the laws of physics (Korugar I imagine being at least several Light Years away, not orbiting the sun) threw me out of the story and after that I found it hard to reconnect with that part of the story. Call me anal but there you go.

Anyway, it was good to see Ambassador Ardeen involving the Legion. Their new status hasn't been overlooked. I do have another question though - if the SPs can organise moon moving machinery to clear Legion Plaza (as mentioned by Star Boy in issue 1) why can't they organise something similar to protect Earth from approaching meteorites? Okay, I appreciate that this was a good way for the Legion to meet Supergirl but I still had reservations about this part of the plot too.

Chameleons curiosity was good to see, the Legion needs it's resident detective and lets hope that means the espionage squad won't be far away.

Cosmic Boy telling Colossal Boy he's goingto give all Legionnaires a vote on who is the next leader must be a sneaky way of bringinng back the fans vote! Hoorah, lets all vote for Braiac 5 - you know it's for the best! *ahem* anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing where this leads.

The team assembled to stop the approaching meteorite was the best that the current team could possibly muster, the members not present wouldn't have had the raw power to help really.

Colossal Boy nearly dying was a shocker - for a second I was thining "oh shades of the Reboot" and was hoping he wouldn't die - glad he didn't, I've grown quite fond of him.

"Look", "Up in the sky!" - fantastic! It so had to be said!

Anyway, this led to the only picture I've ever seen of Barry's that I actually disliked - Supergirls splash page was just not dramatic enough, I thought she looked like a cheerleader doing a light aerobics exercise, no real sign of strain or effort. After a week flying full speed surely even a Kryptonian would look a little ragged?

Anyway, I liked how the assembled l'il Lers had a mixed reaction to her arrival. A side point but as there seems to be so many non-human l'il Lers surely it's about time a few were introduced to this Legion, come on Barry and Mark let's see a few alien Legionnaires on the main team, not just humanoids with odd skin colours.

Cosmic Boys "up up and away" was a nice touch.

And it's all a dream is it? I guess I'll be back next month to find out.

Overall I did enjoy this issue and can't wait to see where WaK go from here.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#15986 04/01/06 08:28 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Yay Tamper Lad - I was hoping someone would notice she didn't fly off with the goggles! smile
Sir, your testimony comes too late! Shady's already been hanged, drawn, quartered, burned at the stake and stuffed into a refrigerator on the false supposition she stuffed Klar's goggles into her coat. If only you'd drawn the exculpatory evidence lying on the ground in plain sight, you could have saved an innocent (sorta) Legionnaire!

slap

Hopefully, the next time we see Shady she'll be feeding little alien orphans or something. wink

#15987 04/01/06 09:49 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
One thing I don't think anybody's mentioned yet is this bit of dialogue:

Ultra Boy: Whoa! Whoa! Don't crap your diaper, Grandpa!
Shadow Lass: Adults. They're so cute when they get cranky.
Klar: Watch your mouth, young lady! You should be ashamed!

We can choose from several conclusions here:

1. For some reason, Klar thinks Ultra Boy is a girl.
2. For some reason, what Shady said is much more offensive than what Jo said.
3. What Jo said is so offensive that Klar can't even hear it.
4. The 31st century is unbelievably sexist.

I don't think it's 4. I think it's 2. Which means that the 31st century thinks about things completely differently from how we do, which is exactly the kind of thing I like seeing. Because they would completely incomprehensible to us. (I'd like to link to the thing I wrote about this, but I already linked to it twice on this board and I don't want to push it.)

#15988 04/01/06 09:53 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I don't think it's necessarily the case that what Shady said is more offensive, but that it's equally offensive. The slightest bit of disrespect is just horrifying to Klar's ears.

#15989 04/01/06 10:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Matthew E:
One thing I don't think anybody's mentioned yet is this bit of dialogue:

Klar: Watch your mouth, young lady! You should be ashamed!

I think its because what Jo said was a plain insult about him being senile. Klar can deal with that.

Shady's comment was patronizing, and in a society that devalues youth it is unbelievably insulting. SHe's talking about him like he was an 'underager' (a baby in fact) and she was an adult.

#15990 04/01/06 10:46 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
That could be it.

#15991 04/01/06 06:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Matthew E,

Good catch. Here's my theory -- everyone DOES wear diapers! This society is so uptight, even using a private toilet is too exposed and "dirty." SOOOO, everyone wears "POOP BE GONE" excrement-disintegrating undergarments. That's why Klar didn't see UB's statement as an insult.

(Of course, we don't want to mention some of the tragic early tests of POOP BE GONE. The BM wasn't the only thing that got disintegrated...)

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#15992 04/02/06 12:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I agree with doublechinner.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#15993 04/02/06 08:02 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
<strong> Yay Tamper Lad - I was hoping someone would notice she didn't fly off with the goggles! smile
Sir, your testimony comes too late! Shady's already been hanged, drawn, quartered, burned at the stake and stuffed into a refrigerator on the false supposition she stuffed Klar's goggles into her coat. If only you'd drawn the exculpatory evidence lying on the ground in plain sight, you could have saved an innocent (sorta) Legionnaire!

lol
You're quite right - little did I suspect the reaction the scene would get....and in fact the whole point of her removing his goggles was to make him interact with her face-to-face without his hiding behind what was almost the equivalent of a mask...

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#15994 04/02/06 01:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the insight Barry and all the subtle touches you guys included.

These first five pages sure have been a hot button topic here on the boards.

#15995 04/03/06 12:34 AM
Active
Active
My pleasure!

It's nice to read all the reactions - interesting too, so I can learn how to make things work better next time! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#15996 04/04/06 12:10 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by rtvu2:
Thanks for the insight Barry and all the subtle touches you guys included.

These first five pages sure have been a hot button topic here on the boards.
Could this have been a subtle way to get US to react?

Get US (the readers) out of our safe, sterile worlds?

Hic!
#15997 04/04/06 12:36 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
It's nice to read all the reactions - interesting too, so I can learn how to make things work better next time! smile
Don't forget - you can keep some people happy all of the time, other people happy some of the time, but you're not going to get this lot to agree on anything!

You're NEVER going to keep everybody happy all of the time - unless you give them all a lot of money. And even then they'll probably want more .....
(Old Aberdonian adage - if it's free, I'll have two.)

Have fun with what you're doing, and use the Force, young Skywalker ..... sorry - follow your heart.

Hic!
#15998 04/12/06 06:23 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
The issue sold out. Second printing with a pencils only cover coming.

DC Press release (Newsarama)
Faboo!

#15999 04/14/06 04:09 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Finally got this in the mail yesterday! I'm really glad Supergirl is going to be involved with the team, she's always been a favorite of mine. I don't think she'll take away from the other characters at all. Interesting about the open elections, I really hope the fans do get to vote like the old days. I loved it when Peter David let the us vote on the leader of Young Justice that time (I voted for Superboy, but Wonder Girl won). All in all, great issue!

#16000 04/17/06 01:11 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Very belated comments (being in the hospital will do that to you) ...

The art is gorgeous. I'm glad to see Barry's work again. Yet I'm ambivalent about Kara's presence. I fear it'll be used as a story gimmick, more or less, and that she'll be gone shortly. The renaming notwithstanding.

To have her based in the 31st Century ends up fiddling too much with what was established for her most recently, at great pains and a lengthy storyline, in the 21st ... that is, in terms of what I've seen of Supergirl fans.

What I haven't seen, I'll admit, is how this "Infinite Crisis" event and crossover has itself fiddled with her. I've avoided it, as I have avoided the reading "responsibility" involved in nearly all massive comics events-with-crossovers. (It took me over 15 years to get around to buying and reading "Crisis on Infinite Earths.")

Yet I can't help but get the impression, even from the setup in issue 16, that this is meant to be something arch, over-complicated, and temporary. Her saying that the entire Legion is a figment of her own imagination, that she's "dreaming them" -- that's not taking the Legion series seriously. If, that is, such a statement is itself taken seriously in terms of events.

Her viewpoint will be dissolved in some kind of intricate explanation by means of plot, and Kara will vanish or return to "her time" at some point. I expect it'll be within the next year.

#16001 03/27/06 10:30 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Just so you know, SGLE.19016.S5T2NE is my personal Cataloguing Coding for Issue #16 of Supergirl & The LSH...19 represents titles beginning with "S", 16 is the issue #, I use 3 zeros as place holders as no mainstream title has gone into the 1000s yet, the exception is for the DC One Million issues, S- represents series #, T2 represents a 2nd title change, NE/ST/DE/PR represents the format...I know, I know pretty complex but believe me it works!!! One day I'd like to get a reference book published for comic book collectors, so people take note!

Anyhoo...

Let's start with the solicitation...

"Written by Mark Waid; Art and Cover by Barry Kitson and Mick Gray

It's 1,001 years later…and guess who's joining the Legion of Super-Heroes? It's just what you think…and nothing you expect!"

And here's a link to the cover on the DC site...

http://dccomics.com/comics/?cm=4978

Let the discussions begin! (Oh and a special shout out to Matthew E for starting this thread for last month's issue! Thanks!)

The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!
#16002 03/27/06 10:37 PM
Reservist
Reservist

The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!
#16003 03/28/06 01:55 PM
Reservist
Reservist
BUMP.2001.S1ST''in time! Think fast!!

Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,095
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star