Roll Call
1 members (Reboot), 88 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 09:48 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The longest duration without a new Legion book?
the Hermit #789198 09/30/13 03:32 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by the Hermit
they have officially retconned the Legion itself out of existence.

Although it all has just been shunted to an Earth-2 type analogue. So it could have been worse there I think.

The continuity ( ha ha Legion continuity) has been kept about as intact as possible, under the circumstances.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #789227 09/30/13 04:26 PM
in hiding
in hiding
I was basing my statement on Vaneta Rogers's recent Newsarama article in which she uses quotes from Keith Giffen to reach the following conclusion:

"For now, however, the Legion is not going to be part of the future of the DCU. 'Paul actually provided a great run-up to Justice League 3000 by giving me the option of choosing how to place the characters, if I want to use any of the Legion characters. But that said,' he added, 'as of right now, the Legion does not appear in Justice League 3000. No Legionnaires appear. There is no United Planets. There are no flight rings.'"

Sure sounds to me like the entire 31st century as we know it, Legion included, has been retconned out of the DCFU.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
MLLASH #789230 09/30/13 04:50 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Oh sure, but at least it was moved. It exists, just not in the mainline DC universe, as such.

It's not as though they're saying "forget about all that. Here's what really happened." Then proceed to walk all over bits and pieces of the Legion.

The lifespan of these reboots, retcons and re imaginings is so brief that I started the sentence as a different person using different words beginning with "re"

"For now" is about the length of time Didio agrees something, walks the length of the corridor back to his office, picks up the phone and then goes in a completely different direction.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
MLLASH #789232 09/30/13 05:12 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
And then there is this problem:

[Linked Image]

Action Comics Volume 2 #6

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
MLLASH #789233 09/30/13 05:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Actually, out of everyone they seems to be the ones most at ease jumping between all the different realities & continuities. It's probably all linear, in some strange way, to them. It's the perceptions of everyone else that are warped. smile

thoth lad #789236 09/30/13 05:50 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by thothkins
Actually, out of everyone they seems to be the ones most at ease jumping between all the different realities & continuities. It's probably all linear, in some strange way, to them. It's the perceptions of everyone else that are warped. smile

Which suggests the possibility that, somewhere, out there, is an 'archetypal' Legion, that only has ever been seen through the filtered / warped perspective of the different continuities in which we've seen them. The act of stepping outside of their 'Legion Headquarters' (located outside of spacetime, in it's own pocket dimension) and entering the various futures they protect transforms them to abide by the rules and expectations of these respective universes.

Certain recruits come from specific universes within these different continuums, and therefore aren't as free to jump between universes, as the 'core team,' which is why only one of the teams has a 'Gear,' or a 'Gazelle,' or a 'Tellus,' and yet all of them have had a Saturn Girl and a Brainiac 5.

That would wreak havoc on the times we've seen multiple teams interacting (such as Legion of 3 Worlds) but even that could be handwaved away by saying that they were snatched not just through dimensions, but also through time. Each of those three Ultra Boys, for instance, was a reflection of 'Ultra Boy Prime' projected at different times into different universes, and they didn't remember each other, or know that, deep down, they were the same person, because the way they project into different universes as different people doesn't just change their costumes or hairstyles, but also their personalities and memories, making them literally 'fit' into whatever universe they are visiting.

Wow, the Jungian archetypal ideal gobbledygook got away from me on that one. I think I may have confused myself. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
MLLASH #789238 09/30/13 06:33 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
^^^that's awesome! I really want a team who does that now! It would be like Exiles meets Quantum Leap! laugh

MLLASH #789263 09/30/13 08:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Um, where's the "Like" button for Set's comment?

Set #789304 10/01/13 07:39 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I quite like tabletop RPGs, and that's pretty much how the likes of Torg and Luther Arkwright (based on the comic that I ' can't recommend highly enough) were played.

the Hermit #789584 10/04/13 08:59 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by the Hermit
Originally Posted by Catonyx
Any news yet as to when a "new" monthly (or mini) series might take place?
Here's hoping...

The way I understand it, DC is not only not publishing a Legion book at the moment, they have officially retconned the Legion itself out of existence.

JL3K is NOT a Legion analogue; it's a Justice League clone set in the 31st century. There is NO Legion book coming in the foreseeable future.

I guess that makes now the beginning of the longest period without a Legion title.

Wow, that sucks!

MLLASH #789586 10/04/13 09:41 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
But if we all get together and write to Murray Boltinoff... ah hell frown

Last edited by thothkins; 10/04/13 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,993
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
neopavlik
neopavlik
Florida