Roll Call
1 members (SaturnGirlLover, SaturnGirlLover, SaturnGirlLover), 37 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: CALLING THE ROLL of LSH #45 "Monster In Our Midst" (spoilers)
#32848 09/13/08 11:08 PM
Active
Active
Some wild speculation--the mention of a loss of communication with Titan--could some cataclysm have befell members of Imra's family and subtly affected her? Or perhaps the "Intruder" planet's gravity may have disrupted the complex belts of radiation which keep telepaths "good." Also Giselle "Gazelle" Smith's home of Triton apparently was devestated so she may be destined to become the latest Legion orphan.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#32849 09/14/08 07:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Set:
[QUOTE] she's not looking for a long-term relationship at this stage of her life, and she's (gasp) not a nun. Good for her. Nice to see her in charge of her own sexuality.
Uh WHAT?

So someone that is in a long term relationship isn't in charge of their own sexuality? One has to be a super bed-hopper in order to be in control?

Wow.

Chaotic may just as well be defined as not in charge and I think that's the question here, are they in charge of their decisions or is something else going on.

#32850 09/14/08 08:25 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Blockade Boy: So someone that is in a long term relationship isn't in charge of their own sexuality? One has to be a super bed-hopper in order to be in control?
That's not at all what I said.

If I say, 'This tomato is red,' that does not mean that I meant, as you have argued, that nothing that is not a tomato can be red (nor that all tomatoes are red, which would be a different faulty conclusion to jump to).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#32851 09/14/08 08:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought I quoted you? It's not what you said or it's not what you meant?

I'm on a tomato free diet so I didn't follow that at all. laugh

#32852 09/14/08 05:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

I took it to mean that Imra's sleeping with Jo showed she is in control of her sexuality. That doesn't mean she lacked control of her sexuality in her relationship with Garth. The two are not mutually exclusive. Nor does it say anything about other people in relationships.

Hopefully, I understood the tomatoes.

#32853 09/15/08 08:39 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

I blame the tomatoes. smile

Anywho. My point is, affirming a positive;

"Ayla is in control of her own sexuality, as her choice of who and when to partner demonstrates."

does *NOT* constitute a negative;

"Long-term committed / married people are *not* in control of their own sexualities."

I *did* say the positive. I did *not* say the negative. I said nothing at all about married people or long-term committed people at all.

I said only that *Ayla* is in control of her own sexuality, not that every person who is not Ayla, or has a different situation than Ayla, is out-of-control.

So, back to the tomato. If I'd said that a tomato was red (in control of it's fruity sexuality), that *does not mean* that I said that nothing else in the world was allowed to be red (in-control of their fruit-tastic or fruit-free sexuality).

Specific-to-general error, with a half-twist in the pike position, I think. Logic never was my strong point... :>

#32854 09/15/08 07:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like peaches. Peaches are easy to understand, and just a bit sexy, or is that just me? So you're saying that just because you think Ayla's a peach doesn't mean you think the rest of us are the pits.

See, peaches are much easier.

#32855 09/22/08 02:29 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Posted by Tromium: "Imo, Jo's kiss is just one link in a long chain of events that began building when Lightning Lad became leader."

An excellent point. I blame Supergirl.

#32856 10/16/08 06:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Most of the male Legionnaires speak about Ayla with vailed, or not so vailed, disrespect.
And the girls in a society of men that think that way aren't usually super in control of themselves or their sexuality.
The way Garth and Jo speak about Imra and her current behavior is similar and BRIN is the one who mentioned the screne for Tasmia. He also isn't shown responding to her question.

It's okay, I guess, to have societies of other worlds and cultures think and behave differently but those differences need to be clearly stated, imo, to have any effect.
Especially is an entire groups, in this case the male Legionnaires, respond a certain way to those cultural differences

In the past, Winathians have been shown to have a much more casual take on sexuality. And Tas stated to Karate Kid that her people communicate with their bodies.
But that's about it.
That's not enough to counteract the male reations shown, imo.

The other issue at hand is that the future may be different, but the readers are from today and have to deal with today. How are they being influenced?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#32857 11/03/08 09:58 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Candle:
It's okay, I guess, to have societies of other worlds and cultures think and behave differently but those differences need to be clearly stated, imo, to have any effect.
Definitely, because without being *told* that Winathians are 'adventurous' we are left with only our own preconceptions, and someone is going to come to the conclusion that Ayla is 'loose.' Garth's reaction to Imra's possible fling indicates that one Winathian, at least, is very monogamous, which only makes it appear that Ayla's behavior may not be typical, or perfectly normal and healthy.

Given the *enormous* changes in the last 1000 years regarding sexuality, I would not be surprised if 1000 years from now, the entire concept of sexual possessiveness / jealousy is considered 'quaint' or even 'novel,' because it's such a rare thing.

Granted the Legion started as a book for kids and teens, and the book has rarely been terribly futurist in it's portrayals, but it would be neat to see at least *some* signs of social progress, with the number one with a bullet be the various Legionnaires not being judgemental of their friends and teammates sex lives and self-righteously assuming that sexual behaviors 'say something' about someone or are 'not appropriate', since that sort of attitude is anachronistic and misogynistic *now,* let alone 10 centuries from now.

#32858 11/05/08 12:49 PM
Active
Active
Given the *enormous* changes in the last 1000 years regarding sexuality
I don't think there has been a great deal of change in attitudes to sexuality over the lst 1000 years. Attitudes are cyclical and culturally based but in the west now, attitudes are not to dissimilar to attitudes in Europe in the C11. OK some periods the - puritans and then the Victorian era - had very repressed sexuality but in betweenmuch more liberal attitudes prevailed similar to what we see today.

I think the C31 will be like most of history in that attitudes and morals will ebb and flow with the fashion of the day

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#32859 11/05/08 07:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I agree Lad, many things a cyclic, but I don't feel that makes a set of values quaint or novel.
Lots of times, the ones in the minority have been correct ~ or at least mostly correct.

As a child of the sexual revolution who now works with kids, our generation was mostly wrong in thinking that 'no sexual limits' and 'situational ethics' is okay.
Our kids and grandkids have to deal with no moral foundations to stand on against what's coming at them today.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Helena Handbasket
Helena Handbasket
A spare room over Quislet's Table
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star