Roll Call
1 members (razsolo), 35 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/04/24 11:08 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Re: Costume Design sketches...up dated..TF added
#361111 10/28/04 11:18 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Thanks again guys! smile

I'll try to tackle a couple of the latest points brought up-

The midriff count is officially three bare, two partially covered and three completely covered. I think that's a pretty good mix - after all, it is a very popular 31st century fashion laugh
(remember Saturn Girl's midriff is covered in the final version)

I do very much like the idea of variations - and will try to get away with a few, but I think the licensing side of the biz prefer characters to be fairly stable so toys/figures etc don't become outdated too quickly...but thinking about it, I guess if we had limited variations that went back and forth, then the original wouldn't be outdated would it? As long as the character continued to return to it...

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361112 10/28/04 11:24 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Variations???

Then why does everybody get so upset when Rob Liefeld can't draw the same costume from panel to panel??? confused lol wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#361113 10/28/04 11:28 AM
Active
Active
Speaking of licensing...

Man, oh man...I hope this is a big fat hit so we can get DC Direct Figures of this "new" Legion.

Sun Boy, Dream Girl, Shadow Lass and Star Boy in WAVE 1!

Yeah, I know...cart before the horse and all that. But I can dream can't I?

#361114 10/28/04 11:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Pov:
Variations???

Then why does everybody get so upset when Rob Liefeld can't draw the same costume from panel to panel??? confused lol wink
lol

#361115 10/28/04 01:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Taking my time to look at these again I am still blown away by how good these so called doodles are.

I liked the version of Cosmic Boy with the shoulder wings. I thought it was a nice link to the past.

I am pleased Imra got a covered midrift as I think this is more in character. Plus the cape works really well, it flows almost organically from the costume.

I think I prefer Gim from the sketches. This is much more giantish and marks him out from the others.

Shadow Lass looks really good, remind me, do those high boots make it into the finished version?

Mind you, if you guys like these sketch's wait till you see Chameleon and the rest. wink

Faithfull
#361116 10/28/04 04:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
thanks for posting these pictures, Barry !!!

it's so cool to see them again !!! as everyone else has said, your imput here on "LEGION WORLD" is truly amazing, and it's making us all so excited for this new era of the .... Legion of Super Heroes !!!

can't wait to see the rest of the pages tongue

Matthew.

#361117 10/28/04 04:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
That was exactly my thinking on Saturn Girl's hair - don't be surprised if she does make an effort with it for special occassions. I don't know any girls with long hair that don't have it in various styles from time to time, so I'm expecting our long-haired legionnaires to change theirs occassionally - tied back, let down etc.
that's great to hear !!! the girls should look different from time, to time !!!

i also wanna see the LEGIONNAIRES in their own clothes, when they are relaxing and not off on a mission tongue .....

Matthew.

#361118 10/28/04 04:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I do very much like the idea of variations - and will try to get away with a few, but I think the licensing side of the biz prefer characters to be fairly stable so toys/figures etc don't become outdated too quickly...but thinking about it, I guess if we had limited variations that went back and forth, then the original wouldn't be outdated would it? As long as the character continued to return to it...
i hope we do get to see some variations !!! this would really show, that the LEGIONNAIRES are young adults that like to wear and look different from time, to time !!!

i know, that i would hate to have to wear the same outfit day in, day out !!!

let's see the LEGIONNAIRES having fun with their fashions !!!

from what we've seen so far in the preview, the youth of the 31st century, seem to "follow" the LEGION like a top selling pop/rock band !!!

so wouldn't they have branded type t-shirts etc ???

and like most FOOTBALL teams in the UK [ don't know what the US, ones do ??? ] but here, they change their strips every season or so !!!

just a few ideas smile

Matthew.

#361119 10/28/04 05:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wish my finished drawings were HALF as good as your doodles Barry! Excellent stuff - can't wait to see the rest!

As for the costumes - you've sold me on Imra's cape! I really like it now! Re: Gim (can you confirm that that is his name by the way Barry?) - I think I've gotta agree with the majority on here and say that I preferred this take on him too. Maybe you can blend the two looks somewhere down the line?

Ayla's is still my favourite by the way - great re-design!

P.S. I know we haven't seen it yet but after seeing his strapped hands I thought it would be great if Karate Kid, rather than wearing boots, had strapped feet as well (i.e. exposing the toes). That would be a cool look IMO and really emphasise the point that his hands and feet are his power! Just a thought. smile

#361120 10/28/04 05:20 PM
Active
Active
I really wish Mark had gone with that version of Gim. He's everything a friendly giant should be: he's intimidating but lovable at the same time. Sensational!

I had a few misgivings about the picture of Shady in the TT/L special mostly because I didn't think she was sexy enough but she looks just right in that picture.

And count me in as a convert to the Imra cape.

#361121 10/28/04 06:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Does this mean we won't get to see civilian clothes sporting each Legionnaire's personal symbol? That was one thing I liked about the Levitz/Giffen era.

Dan
#361122 10/28/04 07:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wow.

Love the idea of "film noir" lighting on Tasmia - she has "femme fatale" written all over her.

Your Cosmic Boy and Light Lass are spot on. You were right to go with the two-piece look for Ayla. Imra looks good too - I like the idea of changing the hairstyle around from time to time. The cape still seems odd to me, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

Gim I'm not sold on yet, but I'm not unsold on him either, if that makes sense.

Thank you for taking the time to post these and provide commentary. It is much appreciated.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#361123 10/28/04 10:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks for sharing Barry smile

I'm also warming to Imra's cape after seeing these sketches. I like the dark black areas on the red part of her costume and hope it's depicted that way in the book.

Shady also looks great but I still miss the previous hairstyle.

I think the final version you came up with for Rokk works the best out of the variations you show in the sketches.

I like how you're thinking of making Gim's features distinct, but didn't you say Jo's going to be a bit more brutish as well? It'll be interesting to compare the two.

#361124 10/29/04 01:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Crashing comets! What a delight to wake up to - that Shadow Lass sketch has to be one of my all-time favourites for that character. The chunkier Colossal Boy was very striking and distinctive as well.

I love capes! And we seem to be getting different types of capes now, which is fun - long, short, lighter/more floating and heavier/stiffer material. Capes can serve a lot of different purposes - warmth, protection, fashion, symbolic (like academic robes), utilitarian (superhero capes often have pouches - with velcro I guess!)

A variety of costumes would be a lot of fun. You'd think the licensing guys would be slobbering over this - they could sell multiple costumes for the action figures. But maybe that's too much of a Barbie doll/little girl thing?

Colossal thanks, Barry!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#361125 10/29/04 02:39 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Hi Guys - thanks again!

I answer to one question, you will see the Legionnaires in 'civvies' as the series gets going!

I've sent another batch of sketches to Nightcrawler - so with a bit of luck there'll be new ones to see later today! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361126 10/29/04 05:55 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
...and here they are already!

The group shot featuring some costumes that were updated - some that stayed - is an exercise I do just to get an idea how all the characters look together, to be sure they look different enough as individuals but still look as if they 'belong' together.

The design sheet with the male characters on features mostly unused designs - other than Lightning Lad and Ultra Boy I think. Star Boy is close to the finished one, but I decided the boots weren't quite right. The Invisible Kid design is NOTHING like the final one! smile

The Shrinking Violet sheet shows just how much is 'up for grabs' at the early design stage - even her features haven't been settled on in these sketches.

Hope you enjoy them! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361127 10/29/04 06:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Whoa! I *much* prefer the robust Colossal Boy from your original sketches! WOW! What a great look!

Thanks for sharing these!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#361128 10/29/04 06:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Figures. Garth gets longer hair again and I lose mine.

Love all the sketches Barry. And I agree with Lash. I prefer the bulkier Colossal Boy.

#361129 10/29/04 07:02 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Amazing.

I must admit I was NOT thrilled to have Barry on art for the new Legion, and especially not after my first glimpses of the costumes.

I'm 100% reveresed after seeing these sketches.

These costumes are great - in several cases better than the final version, for my money. I really like several versions of Vi's look.

Barry's Legion costumes beautifully marry sleek futuristic style with enough layers and details to seem real.

The only costumes I'm still unhappy with are B5 and Element Lad. Maybe Cham. I'm otherwise pretty thrilled - and still hoping to see more of Barry's original costumes in the book.

I'm impressed by what a difference inking makes - I think there's a lively spark in Barry's sketches that, for me, gets a little squelched by the inking process.

#361130 10/29/04 07:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Notice the stars on CB's gloves! smile

I think Barry's done a fantastic job of trying to pick the most iconic images of the Legionnaire's past look and incorporate them in his new designs. You can see the Cockrum influence in the Violet sketches.

#361131 10/29/04 07:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I liked the Vi sketch with the Cockrum like designs on the arms. The others are nice too -- interesting to see that one sketch has Vi with guns(??). Everything really was up in the air...

#361132 10/29/04 10:59 AM
Active
Active
Wow, seeing these sketches is really cool! And seeing the notes and thoughts that went into the designs is winning me over even on the costumes I didn't originally like.

A slightly sinister, wirey Brainy? Hmm, I can go for that... laugh

科学の使者、キュアドクス!
#361133 10/29/04 11:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't have any real preferences about costumes, but I do enjoy seeing all the variations you've come up with Barry. I'm easy to please.

Weighing in on Colossal Boy/Micro Lad - I love the big giant look. He's definitely not from a human species. Finally Colossal Boy is going to shine.

#361134 10/29/04 12:11 PM
Active
Active
What I'm digging the most about all of these is how DIFFERENT they all look from each other. That's one of the first things that drew me to the Legion---this large group of heroes, each with a sometimes complex costume. I went through reams of paper when I was a kid drawing The Legion--and sometimes had to keep a comic nearby for reference. The uniform look of the last 10 years or so had its merits, too; I just like this "individuality" so much more.

#361135 10/29/04 04:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I answer to one question, you will see the Legionnaires in 'civvies' as the series gets going!
yeah laugh laugh laugh

can't wait to see that !!!

and thanks for posting more of your design pages, Barry !!!

there's still a couple more to go, if i remember correctly !!??

Matthew.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,113
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
The Crusader
The Crusader
LMBP Outpost
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star