Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
#362175 08/17/07 11:37 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Based on that image, though, SOMEONE (Cockrum?) changed the color of the suit to all pink.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#362176 08/17/07 12:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Kurt Busiek would be my DREAM Legion writer. Anyone who could put together all that Marvel continuity together for Avengers Forever would be the absolute perfect choice. It doesn't sound like that's what is about to happen, however. Shooter, eh? I guess there's still some people in the comics business to alienate....Although he would probably push the Legion in a direction I would like to see it head.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#362177 08/17/07 01:28 PM
Leader
Leader
Saturn Girl next appeared in that costume in Superboy 184(?) the one about ME Lad and his brother. In some panels in that story it was red, in others pink. In its next appearance (Superboy 190) it was pink throughout and remained that way, though it was more purple on the cover of Sup. 197. The white gloves were also extended and made pink. The white boot stripes and white collar (shown as flesh in the posted scan) were also dropped.

I think the new costume combines her original costume and the bikini one nicely. I hope it stays red. Pink is definitely too girly for someone as no-nonsense as Imra.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#362178 08/17/07 01:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I love Kurt and if he was the writer I would be happy! (though I rather wait for the Busiek/Pacheco team up!) Though I think sometimes he's too old school.

Some guys like Morrisson, Geoff Johns, or James Robinson IMO uses the various elements better thus making "almost" everyone happy. smile

#362179 08/18/07 11:22 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
The fact that it's still in keeping with Saturn Girl's previous looks and that it's a nod to Cockrum makes me not mind the similarity (and it's not like Ms. Marvel is Binary anymore).
Yep. I feel the same.

Even though Cockrum's name is referenced, visually, the only costumes that recall Cockrum's work for me our Saturn Girl, Karate Kid and a bit of Colossal Boy (if he'd lose that ugly brown leather crap) and Phantom Girl.

#362180 08/19/07 10:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Querl Dox:
If it was revealed at Baltimore, it would be good, but i doubt it. But you never know...
It's not impossible, actually.

Mark Waid and Paul Levitz announced details of the new series there several years back.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#362181 08/21/07 08:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by fjm:
... the costume I was trying to design it after was the pink bikini. I basically just covered the flesh part with pink and made the "bikini" part white to relate to the current colors.
Good to know! Any other costume design decriptions/sketches you'd like to share? Were any characters harder to redesign than others?

#362182 08/22/07 01:12 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
well I really had fun with Timberwolf and Chameleon boy. And it wasn't so much which ones were harder but rather which ones I needed to pull back from. I thought some of Barry's designs were pretty cool so the tougher choices were which ones would get a more drastic change and which ones received just minor tweaks.

#362183 08/22/07 01:43 PM
Leader
Leader
I've only just seen the new art and I'm rather liking it. There's a sort of Coipel-esque feel to it without it looking like it's just a copy of Coipel (being Coipel-esque is a very good thing in my book by the way). Not sure I like Shday with the reddish cape and Collosal Boy's head looks a little small but that's the only things about any of the redesigns that I have any kind of reservation about, and it's hardly a big one. I actually really like the look of Ayla with her new hair. Cham's new top is interesting and I really like the retro look of Karate Kid. Jeckie is looking pretty cool there as well. It's a really nice clean style overall and the cololuring is very nice. Hopefully we'll get the same bright colours on the book as they are here rather than it just be promo colouring.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#362184 08/22/07 01:51 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Bevis
Hopefully we'll get the same bright colours on the book as they are here rather than it just be promo colouring.
Amen to that. The coloring over Kitson's work was so deadly dull. Everything looked so drab and lifeless with such pale coloring. I much prefer the bolder brighter colors of this picture.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#362185 08/22/07 02:15 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
Yeah Brian Buccellato did an awesome job with the colors. Keep in mind that the colors that you currently see is not the final version. There were a few coloring corrections and swaps in the final version including the addition of the electricity lightning around LLad's hands which was not done during this press release.

Collosal Boys proportions has gotten quite a bit of a response and that was kind of the point. Looking at the current run pretty much every legion member almost has the exact same physique. The writer observed this and asked me to shape up and shape down a few of the characters. So what I did was beefed up a couple of them to differentiate. I always thought Collosal Boy looked kinda weird when he was big because he was still never daunting. I wanted to give him more of an imposing look. I hope that explains a few things smile

#362186 08/22/07 03:01 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by fjm:
The writer observed this and asked me to shape up and shape down a few of the characters.
Ah, that answers one of my questions -- whether the writer influenced any of your redesigns.

Were there any other changes you wanted to make that were nixed by the writer or editor?

This next question is not directed to fjm specifically, but I wonder why L-Lad and Sun Boy are the only ones who get to flash their energy all the time. Why not Ultra Boy seething with ultra-energy or Shady surrounded by a dark aura, for example? I'd like to see more of that.

Anyway, it's too bad we can't see your Mon-El, Supergirl, Cosmic Boy and Dream Girl. Hopefully, this will be rectified in the near future.

#362187 08/22/07 03:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There's a B&W sketch in this week's DC Nation Page. Looks like an earlier iteration of Francis playing around with the costumes. Though most of Cos is covered up by Dan Didio's "on vacation post it" we do see his hair.

#362188 08/22/07 03:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
No offense, but I'm really loving this sketch . I don't think any of the costumes need to be tweaked anymore than they are in the image.

I guess I'm a bigger fan of subtle changes.

#362189 08/22/07 03:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like that sketch alot as well.

#362190 08/22/07 08:56 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Originally posted by Tromium:
... but I wonder why L-Lad and Sun Boy are the only ones who get to flash their energy all the time. Why not Ultra Boy seething with ultra-energy or Shady surrounded by a dark aura, for example? I'd like to see more of that.

It's not too easy to see, but I think Shady is seeping some dark energy of sorts. (Either that or she's got some really long and active hair all of a sudden.)

#362191 08/22/07 09:01 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Hmm...
I may like the sketched Ultra Boy, Chameleon, and Light Lass better, but not anyone else in particular.

More important to me is that Brainy didn't end up with the costume he has in the sketch. That makes Triplicate Girl the only hold out in the big-stripe-down-the-middle sort of uniform, and I'd be more than happy to see those done away with forever.

#362192 08/22/07 09:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That is a really nice sketch, I'm also a fan of it but agree with APB, I'm glad Brainy didn't end up with that costume. I like the one in the color panel on the first page of the thread.

#362193 08/23/07 08:48 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It is a nice sketch. I'm more interested in the meta-message, though--that DiDio would choose a sketch of the Legion. Higher profile, indeed.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#362194 08/23/07 03:19 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I agree Quis--put a band on that boy! All things considered, nice intro to the new artist. Sorry to not see Mon-El on the roster, though.

#362195 08/24/07 01:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
In terms of body types, I do wish Ultra Boy and especially Karate Kid were less beefy (since their powers have nothing to do with their physiques, there's no reason someone like Star Boy couldn't be built). Also, I don't think we've ever seen Ultra Boy "seething" with Ultra Energy before. It's an interesting thought though.

#362196 08/24/07 01:34 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I don't have a problem with Ultra Boy being beefy. I've always imagined him, usually on a team with Superboy, Supergirl or Mon-El, having some overcompensatory urge to bulk up so that he's 'strong' even when using his ultra-energies to move fast or be invulnerable. Unlike the Krypto-mites, he can't depend on his powers to do *everything* for him.

Karate Kid should definitely be leaner, IMO. He looks like a heavyweight boxer, not a martial artist. More Bruce Lee, less Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#362197 08/28/07 10:18 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
the writer wanted Ultra Boy to look more like a middle weight body builder and I agree with him. Considering the fact that he can focus his powers on one thing it's probably gonna tone up and beef up those biceps! Also the writer wanted Karate Kid to be less like Bruce Lee and bring him up a weight class. Also if anyone is interested I've posted a commission I recently did at this past Fan Expo in Toronto of Collosal Boy and Timberwolf on my blog.

#362198 08/29/07 03:34 AM
Applicant
Applicant
First off, hey y'all. I'm a relatively new member. I've been in lurker mode since I joined, but this topic was worth coming out of the woodwork.

I'm looking forward to your work, Francis. While I was definitely a fan of the art on the LoSH up to this point, your stuff is a breath of fresh air. I like that you've accomplished what you set out to do in really giving each Legion member their own look. I love it when I can tell who a comic character is when they're not wearing their uniform...tweaking the body types of the Legion members is fine by me.

Some random comments on some members: I can see how the brown "padding" on the arms, shoulders and neck of Micro Lad can be an asset to the character...I imagine Gim's in a lot of situations where he's supporting large and heavy objects...the brown padding is functional considering that.

Shadow Lass's color tweaking is also a welcome change. I think it gives the character a pop of color, without being too much of a contradiction to her "covert" power.

I like Timber Wolf's look. As a "feral" type of character, he should have a rugged and earthy look...the messed up hair and bare feet work for me.

Really hope you keep Phantom Girl's bell bottoms. I was born in the 80's and have no desire to ever see them in the "real" world, but they worked for Tinya.

Saturn Girl looks fantastic. I thought her previous look was too "cute"...I like sexy Imra a lot more. I hope the new writer, whoever it turns out being, gives Imra and a personality to match the hot new look.

I'll make Brainy the last character I comment on. His new duds and the slicked back hair suit him perfectly.

Overall, you did a great job with the team. You managed to take iconic looks and make them fresh. I'm really looking forward to your run...the commission was great too.

#362199 08/29/07 11:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh wow that Colossal Boy/Timberwolf piece rocks!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EmeraldEmpress
EmeraldEmpress
London, UK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star