Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/05/24 08:12 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/05/24 06:37 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:46 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:45 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:14 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:12 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
LSH #40 ... SPOILERS!
#37296 03/24/08 03:42 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Comics Continuum has a five page preview of #40, which is due out this Wednesday. Unless they come up with a way to explain how these "creatures" aren't really living it looks to me like the good old clause against killing is tossed right out the door.

Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS!
#37297 03/24/08 03:47 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Newsarama has the same preview with slightly larger images.

#37298 03/24/08 04:09 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hmm... this preview doesn't really excite me very much.

The one thing I do really like is the reference to Brainy's "force-shield" as opposed to "force-field".

#37299 03/24/08 04:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, I like seeing Brainy and Shady in action. Good teamwork, there.

#37300 03/24/08 07:24 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I like this preview. It reminds me of the interaction between Shady and Brainy in Shady's first two appearances.

I wonder if Shady can't see in darkness anymore. Brainy had to tell her where the poleax was.

Also, it's impressive that Shady can eat more than her body weight in six hours and still maintain that slim figure!

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#37301 03/24/08 07:43 PM
Active
Active
i think i love there new way of getting around makes them trow up..we may get the return of space ships yay

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#37302 03/25/08 08:29 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Just by looking at those few pages this was the first time I actully felt like I was seeing Brainiac 5 in the Legion again instead of "Vril Dox in the future" like we have been seeing for the last 3 1/2 years.

#37303 03/25/08 08:53 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I thought the preview was delightful! We get to see Shady in her native habitat, find out that she eats A LOT, learn a little more about "barbaric" Talokians, and see Brainiac 5 hurl. The "you'll find out" line was priceless. It fit the 3boot but wasn't so snarky it annoyed me. I agree with ZK about Brainiac. Here he is very smart, but not insufferably arrogant and disdainful. He actually seems to CARE about Shady. In therapy this would be called a "breakthrough."

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#37304 03/25/08 09:32 AM
Leader
Leader
I don't like it that Shady can't see in the dark. What good is blinding everyone if she's blind too?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#37305 03/25/08 10:01 AM
Deputy
Deputy
If Shady were blind she wouldn't be able to bring down the ax exactly where Brainy told her to. I think she's just surprised Brainy isn't blind and noticed the ax before she did.

This is so much more *visceral* than the Waid/Kitson issues, it takes some getting used to. I bet the Talokians were planning to eat that creature before it self-destructed. (If they eat protean rectal tissue, they'll probably eat anything.)

#37306 03/25/08 12:06 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Was that a boom tube Brainy used? It was mentioned in the first Shooter issue... Brainy getting sick was a priceless entrance into battle, lol. ^_- Shady looks amazing. Really looking forward to the new costumes kicking in though. Not sure it is a good idea to delay them actually wearing them, if they want readers to take to this newer version of the threeboot.

The way I see it is if we are going to end up with 2 monthly Legions (not counting animated), then reboot characters should be brought into the threeboot world to strengthen it a bit. Have the "original" Action/Lighning Saga team in one book, and the "second and third act" Legions together in another (representing '95 and forward). Maybe possible with the Legion of Three Worlds coming up. I don't see all three merging at this point (what with the popularity of the originals return in Action), but this could help the threeboot to have merit to continue forward...

#37307 03/26/08 02:18 PM
Active
Active
another good issue. this Shooter guy is pretty good, what else has he written? smile

I like the touch of showing that wormhole travel has a side effect. which makes sense, it hasn't been fine tuned and/or is less gentle than transmat system.

nice to see that Ultra Boy and Chameleon get along so well.

anyone wants to bet that Saturn Girl is going to break that whole don't invade team members rule anytime soon?

nice call about Projectra's and Orando's debt owed and owned. but she really needs to reign(heh) in her attitude. Temper Wolf looks mild mannered by comparsion.

a yocto is 10exp-24. wow those trajectories are really parallel.

#37308 03/26/08 03:50 PM
Active
Active
I really enjoyed this issue. Not a lot of action but lots of legionnaire inter-action. Fun.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#37309 03/26/08 03:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Shooter had me entertained. I like the character touches he put in.

Cham's doggy training instructions for TimberWolver...Wolf had me in stitches. Imra has her hussy back. Lots of sexy innuendo in this issue. Also liked the running gag with the teleportion, though it was a bit childish. Tinya is vain about her fashionable duds, I suspect Brainy owes her a pair of boots.

Interesting to see Shooter show Talok since he created it all those years ago. Though his version was industrial and urban with crazy wilderness. I imagine the Talokians he envisioned would be somewhat like what the Klingons turned out to be like in Star Trek.

The chalets on Triton were a nice touch, I've been impressed with the design work for the settings overall since the new team took over.

#37310 03/26/08 04:18 PM
Active
Active
Oh... and Trip's innuendo about the rumours of KK's total control of his physical body was very amusing. Of course KK would be the one legionnaire who is into tantric sex!

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#37311 03/26/08 04:42 PM
Active
Active
anyone care to guess what Giselle is up to? a conditionally commuted sentence and an encrypted letter in her file. sounds like a Dirty Dozen/Suicide Squad type mission.

I still think Projectra needs to treat others better, but on second look the one tourist was being rather pushy about getting a photo.

lastly given all the skin in the last view issues, how long before the CW makes a television adaptation of the LSH. the only question, would it lead or come after One Tree Hill? smile

#37312 03/26/08 06:02 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I loved this issue! Shooter did a brilliant job of giving on-panel time to every character, even those who barely had any role in the story, like Cham. Francis also deserves a lot of credit for this. He inserted lots of little details that provided insight into the various Legionnaires' characters, like the sports equipment in Garth's bedroom. There were numerous laugh-out-loud moments (the coffee bit, Ayla's description of her night with Val) and the scene with Garth and Ayla was heartwarming.

I find it curious that the mysterious person in the chair from last issue was not mentioned at all. That's pretty much my only complaint.

#37313 03/26/08 06:09 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
I loved this issue! Shooter did a brilliant job of giving on-panel time to every character, even those who barely had any role in the story, like Cham. Francis also deserves a lot of credit for this. He inserted lots of little details that provided insight into the various Legionnaires' characters, like the sports equipment in Garth's bedroom. There were numerous laugh-out-loud moments (the coffee bit, Ayla's description of her night with Val) and the scene with Garth and Ayla was heartwarming.

I find it curious that the mysterious person in the chair from last issue was not mentioned at all. That's pretty much my only complaint.
i think the person in the chair was that kid who like trivia

i loved this issue a lot happened with out a lot happening i loved that, and i do loved the toned down snarky brainy, my one thought about this was is kk over his thing with phantom girl? if he jumped in bed with light lass i guess so

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#37314 03/26/08 06:20 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
i think the person in the chair was that kid who like trivia
I think so too, but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

#37315 03/26/08 06:26 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
This was the first Shooter issue that I enjoyed. I'm not really sure why, though. Oh, well; I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#37316 03/26/08 07:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
What a great issue! Nice to see that it is acknowledged Lightning Lad & Irma are a couple.

Lightning Lad.............wow what a hottie!!!! YUM YUM YUM! If him & Irma ever break up, he can give me a call. smile

Shady looked great! Best she has EVER looked! I just wish she would do more with her power beside create darkness - maybe branch it out into dark bolts that cause damage or create shadow-stuff weapons.

KK is just walking around like he is the ultimate stud with his shirt hanging open...LOL..if only he knew he is always destined to die in every incarnation....LOL

I also think Irma will break her vow to not invade minds...I think it will involve Timber again who seems to be going real savage.

Brainy was great without being overly obnoxious.

Everyone got screen time which was great. Shooter is really getting into his stride. In my opinion, Legion is the best book on the market right now.

AWESOME artwork - love all the detail.Francis is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists.

My only gripe....no Dreamer yet frown

#37317 03/26/08 09:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Not only was this a fun issue, but it was also pretty dramatic. Wow! There was a lot packed into it.

The cover was my least favorite of the Manapul's so far. Not a big problem, though, because I guess he just saved all the good stuff for the interiors. I commented on the fresh feel of his work last month. He maintains it this issue, and really seems to progress as a storyteller. The action and interaction flow really well. There were so many little touches that you can tell were added by Francis, and not derived from the script. Each change of scene brings a whole new feel. Most impressive is way the artwork helps bring out the personalities that Shooter is instilling in the characters. The body language for everyone just fits in terms of dialogue, situation, and personality. I wonder if he works real hard to accomplish that or if it just flows naturally from his pencils. Artists really amaze me sometimes. All that and more beefcake Garth. I got my money's worth. God, I hope he gives Rokk the same treatment when he finally comes home.

Okay, the puking everytime someone went through the wormhole was kind of sophomoric. I was pretty grossed out at first, but by the time Tinya was threatening to puke on Brainy's shoes I couldn't help but laugh. And, yay, a kinder gentler Brainiac 5. This wasn't a total departure from Waid's characterization but just a nice toning down. More of that orgainic change Shooter promised.

I loved the way everyone took sides in the dispute between Brin and Imra. It reminded me of the Adventure era debates over whether to expell a member or something. You couldn't wait to see how each Legionnaire would vote because it revealed just a little more of their personality. That feeling was accomplished here, through dialogue and artwork, in just a few short pages without the help of a monitor board flashing out the verdict. Well done, S and M. I, too, have the feeling that Imra will break her promise by the end of Shooter's run.

Garth stepping up and becoming the leader that we all knew he could be was an excellent payoff for the storyline that was building over the last few issues. Ayla's warmth and support was a bonus. Promiscuious, smart, caring and tough. I'm really beginning to like this girl. Perhaps one of the best versions of Ayla we've seen in any incarnation of the Legion. The scene made me think that she might make a darn good leader herself at some point. That's something we haven't seen in any era of the Legion yet. I would love to see it.

Great interaction between Karate Kid and Triplicate Girl. Invisble Kid is coming across as much more likable and competent.

Poor Projectra. Those bastards. I hope she did shoplift that braclet. It would be totally justified. I was impressed with the cliffhanger. Most of today's comics give us an overdone final splash page with a revelation that rarely has much payoff in later issues. This was just a communication blurb from Timber Wolf in the final panel that dropped a bombshell, and has me eagerly awaiting next issue to find out exactly what Projectra did.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#37318 03/27/08 05:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The roll call scene was awesome. Have we ever had a team intro like that yet in this series?

I like that IK isn't so invisible anymore. The one line where Brainy is explaining things, and he says cool... so much character in that.

The ongoing KK bit is fun. I don't think he and Ayla have hooked up yet, but it's nice to see the horny teens from WaK still around.

Garth really came into his own as a commanding presence for such a diverse group. He may not be an administrator, but he sure knows how to keep people in line.

The Timber Wolf/Saturn Girl was a nice prelude to Wolf's call for help at the end of the issue. Seeing Projectra's breakdown worries me a bit. Sounds liek lawyers in the future are as detrimental to society as they are now. wink (Love ya Quis)

The art in the beginning of the issue seemed sharper than at the end. It's good work, but it felt a bit rushed.

Just spouting off.
#37319 03/27/08 07:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I loved this issue, too. Kudos to FJM for all the morsels of silent characterization -- like Trip sitting on Jan's lap, Jo yanking Cham's antenna, Saturn Girl turning her head away from Garth in shame, and Brin bowing and kissing Jeckie's hand.

Light on super-hero action, to be sure, but chock full of suprises. The shocking political reasons for Jeckie's dethronement. Garth siding with Brin against Imra -- even ready to expel her. A being as exotic and surly as Giselle having the ordinary surname "Smith" and parents who admire the Legion because of an act of bravery by Lighting Lad. Projectra has killed someone? (Probably not, but I have my suspicions about that bracelet ....)

Priceless moment -- Brainy flailing his arms in the air and screaming "The Alien Destroyers?!" while everyone else is busy arguing about Saturn Girl's guilt. (The reaction of each Legionnaire towards Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf was spot on true to character, though I'm not quite sure why Atom Girl would feel so protective of Brin. A secret crush perhaps?)

Best line of the month: A tie between "If you speak to him softly, in short sentences, he's calmer ..." and "Can I come home now and retch again ... preferably on your shoes?" Runner up: "Bring my blonde friend a decaf, please." The slang didn't seem so intrusive this time.

Best character of the month. A tie between Brainy and Lightning Lad -- opposite poles of the character spectrum yet each so wonderfully appealing in his own unique fashion. Ayla is her usual warm and delightful self and this Saturn Girl is beginning to intrigue me. One more false hussy move and blondie is out on her iron butt! Yet her promise to Garth goes against her very nature.

I think I can guess the nature of the spy mission Invisible Kid and Brainy are going to undertake next issue. As for Giselle's secret pact with the President -- if she suddenly makes an appearance at Legion HQ, I'll know her for a U.P. plant.

Whoever it was who said Shooter's characters were "flat" and uninteresting must be reading a different book. This issue was well nigh pitch perfect where it counts the most. I really wanted to be there at HQ drinking Siberian coffee with my old friends.

#37320 03/27/08 07:59 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Tromium:
Trip sitting on Jan's lap

Huh. I didn't even notice that.

By the way, was "my blonde friend" a reference to Brainy or Imra?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,136
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
queer_legion
queer_legion
North Carolina
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star