Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:13 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/06/24 07:26 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
NYCC Spolers: Bits of Legionniare business
#43575 02/06/09 07:56 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I was just reading some of the recaps from the NYCC at Newsarama, all sort of Legion related info coming out today, and lots of spoilers...so be forewarned.

1. Geoff will be the regular writer of Adventure Comics, and the main artist on the title is going to be Francis Manapul.

2. He said Adventure Comics will take place in Superman's time, the Legion's time and perhaps a 3rd time if possible.

3. Starman will be one of the features in Adventure and the story will be coming out of LO3W.

4. The lead in Adventure was not mentioned specifically but I am guessing it will be Kon-El as a Black Lantern by Johns and Manapul.

5. James Robinson said Mon-El's story in Action is going to be bittersweet as it will be counting down the time till he goes into exile.

6. Superman: Secret Origin will feature stories about Superboy, and the Legion(old news but reconfirmed here).

7. On Lex Luthor having a sibling, Johns said: read LO3W.

8. Bart Allen is going to wind up back in the Flash Universe...I'm not quite sure what that means. I mean isn't he always a part of the Flash Universe being a Flash?

9. George Perez will be working on something "big" soon.

Here is a bigger image of the cover to Adventure Comics #1:

[Linked Image]

Johns said one of the shadows is good and one is bad.

The rest look like Starman, Krypto, Luthor, Brainiac and Bizzaro.

The center image looks like Kon-El, the other
shadow looks like Kal-L, Prime or Superboy(Kal-El) to me...

Hmmm...basically Superboy(Kon-El), the Legion(Starman), Krypto, Bizzaro(tales of the Bizzaro world)...all were once features of Adventure Comics, so they are definitely giving a nod to the past here. I'm not sure what Luthor or Brainiac are doing in there, but Adventure will definitely be a Superman centric title from the looks of it.

Since James Robinson is handling Krypto I guess he will be contributing to this title as well for the Krypto feature....everything else appears to be things Johns is working on.

Hopefully the Legion will end up being the lead feature.

Re: NYCC Spolers: Bits of Legionniare business
#43576 02/06/09 08:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Forgive my ignorance but I rely pretty much totally on Legion WOrld for my comics info...

Am I to understand Adventure will be an oversize anthology featuring many strips? Or a regular size book featuring shorter stories?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#43577 02/06/09 08:19 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Forgive my ignorance but I rely pretty much totally on Legion WOrld for my comics info...

Am I to understand Adventure will be an oversize anthology featuring many strips? Or a regular size book featuring shorter stories?
That's a good question MLLASH, but one I'm not quite sure I'm fully prepared to answer as I don't really know myself.

#43578 02/06/09 08:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks anyway, Supes. I'm sure one of our LW-Oracle types will know soon.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#43579 02/06/09 08:55 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Hopefully...I'm interested in knowing that bit of info myself. I don't see many ways they could put that many features in a regular size title....which means that title could be $$$$$, and that will hurt it's sales no matter who the features are.

#43580 02/07/09 10:25 AM
Active
Active
I'm wondering if that bottom right character is Match. Didn't the Titans free him from Jericho's possession?

#43581 02/07/09 11:18 AM
Active
Active
ACTION FIGURE NEWS - LSH figures will be released in Mattel's JLU line in 2009. The figures will be a set of 4 including Brainiac 5, Cos, LL, and Saturn Girl. These figures WILL NOT be in any stores or through Diamond. They will be exclusive to Mattel's MattyCollector.com.

click to enlarge

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#43582 02/07/09 11:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks Tek!

I'll be buying several multiples! And yeah for being online only! It's A LOT easier to find than store hopping.

#43583 02/07/09 11:42 AM
Active
Active
Yeah, Matty is open to all and Mattel has done a great job with quantity. Of the figures that were Matty exclusive and not from a Con, MoTUC Skeletor was the fastest sell out and he lasted 2 weeks. Matty will post pics and cost at least 2 weeks in advance and tell you the exact day and time they will become available.

As long as three finders, and myself, show a bit of restraint there should be enough for everyone.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#43584 02/07/09 12:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
i wanna those figures!!!! Let us know and set up the link so we the legion worlders will grab those as fast as we can!

#43585 02/07/09 01:40 PM
Active
Active
i'm so glad they're doing THOSE guys, even though garth never showed up in the animated series!! YES, COME TO ME

#43586 02/07/09 03:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by veryvery:
i'm so glad they're doing THOSE guys, even though garth never showed up in the animated series!! YES, COME TO ME
yeah that's right....I remember Chameleon....hmmm.

#43587 02/07/09 04:36 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by veryvery:
Most of the classic lineup cameoed in the JLU episode "Far From Home" during a big fight at the end. Garth appeared then, and Brainiac 5 was the featured Legionnaire starring alongside Supergirl.

#43588 02/07/09 04:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Dan Didio is a big jerk for saying that: " We don't cover that. It was a pseudonym at the author's request. We cancelled the book, finished it and shoved it out the door. Thanks for asking that."

as you can see on the following link:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19927

scroll down and you will see that. That's pretty insulting.

#43589 02/08/09 08:53 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Thanks for being so responsive to the people who pay your salary, Dan.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#43590 02/08/09 11:16 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Sounds like he was really proud to be involved in that particular decision.

#43591 02/08/09 11:16 AM
Deputy
Deputy
There can be no doubt about it now, none whatever. Didio despises the Legion and its fans. I can't wait for the happy day DC Comics wakes up from its coma and shoves "him" out the door.

The coward "Justin Thyme" would be wise to remain anyonymous. He/she has nothing to be proud of. And shame on Geoff Johns for colluding with Didiot in this sickening travesty. Imo, they are all devoid of professional integrity and utterly beneath contempt.

#43592 02/08/09 12:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Is there really evidence yet, that "Justin Thyme" isn't Jim Shooter who simply didn't want his name on a forced condensed version of what he had planned?

We are easily jumping the gun on this blame game I think.

#43593 02/08/09 12:49 PM
S
Active
Active
S
The evidence that Justin Thyme wasn't Jim Shooter is simply that the story was nothing like anything else by Shooter. I've read enough comics by Shooter that I think I can recognize his prose style, and I did not detect Shooter's prose style in that story.

On another note, I am no longer going to refer to DC's current Executive Editor by name. He is not worthy of being mentioned.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#43594 02/08/09 12:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Is there really evidence yet, that "Justin Thyme" isn't Jim Shooter who simply didn't want his name on a forced condensed version of what he had planned?

We are easily jumping the gun on this blame game I think.
No guns have been jumped, BB. At least a week ago, Francis M. pretty much confirmed Shooter didn't write the issue. It's somewhere in the LSH #50 thread.

#43595 02/08/09 01:20 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
The irony of the "Justin Thyme" thing is that this means even Steve Apollo didn't want his name on the book.

That said, I don't think Dan DiDio comes off as bad for being unresponsive there. Obviously the Shooter Legion wasn't going over like the brass wanted, there was bad blood between Shooter and the brass over the abrupt ending, DiDio got someone to write a best-as-possible wrap-up story given certain constraints, and someone, knowing that even his (or her, I suppose) best efforts couldn't really result in a story everyone will be happy with, agreed to do it anonymously. DiDio is right for not violating the anonymity agreement, and it's better that he's not airing whatever Shooter-based dirty laundry DC has. His answer pretty much means: Stuff happened, get over it, let's move on with a Legion that people will start buying and enjoying. And that's the right thing for him to say.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#43596 02/08/09 03:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
The irony of the "Justin Thyme" thing

That said, I don't think Dan DiDio comes off as bad for being unresponsive there.
Did his response adequately answer for you why it was okay to solicite a book as being written and drawn by one team and delivered by another? Not rhetorical, I'd like to know what reasoning I could possibly be missing.

#43597 02/08/09 03:35 PM
Active
Active
Sorry, but I disagree, CMK. He should have apologized for such a travestite issue and say DC would gladly return money for such a lousy job, in which not even the writer was honerable enough to place his name on it.
After all, DC announced a VERY DIFFERENT book on its website. And for much less, they are accepting returns on World of Krypton.
Also, he could have chosen a decent team to wrap it up, but nooooo, he had to prove his point against Shooter by murdering his last Legion story. Problem is we were the customers.

#43598 02/08/09 03:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:

That said, I don't think Dan DiDio comes off as bad for being unresponsive there. Obviously the Shooter Legion wasn't going over like the brass wanted, there was bad blood between Shooter and the brass over the abrupt ending, DiDio got someone to write a best-as-possible wrap-up story given certain constraints, and someone, knowing that even his (or her, I suppose) best efforts couldn't really result in a story everyone will be happy with, agreed to do it anonymously. DiDio is right for not violating the anonymity agreement, and it's better that he's not airing whatever Shooter-based dirty laundry DC has. His answer pretty much means: Stuff happened, get over it, let's move on with a Legion that people will start buying and enjoying. And that's the right thing for him to say.
Actually, we don't know the real reason for the decision to trim 4 issues off Shooter's run, and that seems to be what started the slide toward the mess at the end. Surely when Shooter came on board, the editors knew what his storylines would be, so that shouldn't have caught them by surprise.

Many of us assumed they decided to end the book early because of what was happening in Final Crisis, but that hasn't made any difference, and Lo3W itself has been long delayed. So unless it was because of the economic situation that all companies are facing, I still don't understand the need to amputate the planned ending to this book. That apparently wasn't Shooter's decision--he had to adapt to it, and perhaps he behaved badly in that process and perhaps he didn't--but the "stuff" that happened started with TPTB.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#43599 02/08/09 03:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Dan Didio is a big jerk for saying that: " We don't cover that. It was a pseudonym at the author's request. We cancelled the book, finished it and shoved it out the door. Thanks for asking that."

as you can see on the following link:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19927

scroll down and you will see that. That's pretty insulting.
All right, folks, I'm back from the Con and I confess that it was actually me in the DCU panel who asked that question.

I debated doing it, because it wasn't exactly the correct forum, but, in the end, I felt stongly that DC should be held accountable for their behavior with regard to Legion 50.

My phrasing, if I recall correctly, was, "I was really looking forward to the conclusion of Jim Shooter's Legion story line. Could you please tell me why the creative team was changed, and why the fan community wasn't informed beforehand?"

To his credit, Dan DiDio, though he was clearly taken aback, did his best to answer the question to what I'm sure was the best he could. I have no doubt that there are certain business considerations that oblige him to hold his tongue. Yes, it was a somewhat evasive answer, and, no, I didn't really expect anything different, but I really would have hated to go all the way up there and not at least try to get the story.

That being said... I actually did get the story... from Jim Shooter!

Now, admittedly, it's his version, but given DiDio's dodge of my question, that's the only one I have to go on. Out of respect for Mr. Shooter, I won't post what he told me on the board, but if anyone would like to know just for his or her own satisfaction, you can PM me and I'll tell you what he told me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,172
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gigglebot Girl
Gigglebot Girl
Northumberland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star